Ladder Mix and Mega

Oooh man a month of being like responsible and having people hate me for not banning -atespeed. Man, I was hoping this would wait until Z came along and we had new content...

Just wondering, but why is gengarite banned on gengar, considering this is an uber based metagame. Was it over the top considering you are able to have multiple megas on one team?

Checking the OP I noticed Shadow tag is banned entirely, personally I have no problem with this, just looking for a possible explanation.
There's a few different reasons, but one of the bigger ones I've not previously discussed is that Shadow Tag basically forces Stall teams to either not participate in the idea of the meta (Forcing stallmons to run Shed Shell instead of a Mega Stone) or be restricted to stallmons that ignore Shadow Tag for whatever reason. (eg Ghost typing, access to U-Turn, etc) Offense can generally answer Gengarite Gengar/Gothitelle by murdering it. Stall... not so much.

Note that in Ubers you get stuff like Shed Shell Blissey and Shed Shell Skarmory to account for Mega Gengar's presence. Here, you'd basically have to abandon Sablenite Blissey and the like for fear of Gengarite Pokemon trapping and killing them with nothing you can do about it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-325164335

I'm pretty sure Electrify was banned a while ago, unless i missed something??
Tagging The Immortal.

Electrify is indeed supposed to be banned.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oooh man a month of being like responsible and having people hate me for not banning -atespeed. Man, I was hoping this would wait until Z came along and we had new content...

There's a few different reasons, but one of the bigger ones I've not previously discussed is that Shadow Tag basically forces Stall teams to either not participate in the idea of the meta (Forcing stallmons to run Shed Shell instead of a Mega Stone) or be restricted to stallmons that ignore Shadow Tag for whatever reason. (eg Ghost typing, access to U-Turn, etc) Offense can generally answer Gengarite Gengar/Gothitelle by murdering it. Stall... not so much.

Note that in Ubers you get stuff like Shed Shell Blissey and Shed Shell Skarmory to account for Mega Gengar's presence. Here, you'd basically have to abandon Sablenite Blissey and the like for fear of Gengarite Pokemon trapping and killing them with nothing you can do about it.

Tagging The Immortal.

Electrify is indeed supposed to be banned.
Well Ghoul King I believe it at least deserves a playtest. Gengarite might slap in some viable options not seen b4, and even if at the end Gengarite is indeed proven to centralising, i definately think Shadow Tag as an ability shouldnt be banned (you know, uber based meta). And maybe..... after that a thought about Kangaskhanite being more accesible. Cuz this meta needs a shake up.

Literally the only Pokemon that would get Gengarite are Gengar, Gothitelle, and Wobuffet. I can't see that improving meta diversity, given it would pretty much invalidate probably more than a dozen different Pokemon+Mega Stone combinations. Gengar probably wouldn't even run it, preferring other Mega Stones, and Wobuffet probably wouldn't run it either -Leftovers probably does more to help it abuse Shadow Tag than Gengarite would.

Being Ubers-based isn't any kind of argument to keep Shadow Tag unbanned. Shadow Tag intersects in an unhealthy way with the meta's premise -like how, say, Fake Out is a neat and useful move in OU but centralizing as heck in Volturn Mayhem. Should Volturn Mayhem leave Fake Out alone because OU has never had any reason to do anything about it?

No.

At this point I don't see any reason to widen Kangaskhanite's access. It would largely invalidate some Mega Stones (Sharpedonite, Scizorite, arguably Steelixite and Garchompite, even more arguably some other Mega Stones -Aerodactylite does provide 10 more Speed, for instance) and make an offensive meta even more offensive. I'd sooner revisit the topic of Extreme Speed.

Though really I think Absolite Manaphy needs discussion. It's heinous.

Last edited:
If set up right, Diancite Bisharp could probably become a huge threat, however at the cost of not being able to take any kind of hit. Its measly base 70 Speed can become a whopping 130 and its base Attack skyrockets all the way to 165, though at the costs of its Defense and Special Defense plummeting to 60 and 20, respectively. Though, Mewtwonite X would likely be a better choice due to increasing its Attack to an unrivaled 205.

If set up right, Diancite Bisharp could probably become a huge threat, however at the cost of not being able to take any kind of hit. Its measly base 70 Speed can become a whopping 130 and its base Attack skyrockets all the way to 165, though at the costs of its Defense and Special Defense plummeting to 60 and 20, respectively. Though, Mewtwonite X would likely be a better choice due to increasing its Attack to an unrivaled 205.
Frankly, it's underwhelming. It has no defense and dies to ate speed. It's speed tier is nice, but you crucially Don't outspeed the fast stuff that lacks priority, like absolite manaphy. With sucker punch, it can at least revenge victini, but +2 is really the benchmark priority bracket. There are better options for diancite users, since really anything becomes threatening with the diancite boost.

Frankly, it's underwhelming. It has no defense and dies to ate speed. It's speed tier is nice, but you crucially Don't outspeed the fast stuff that lacks priority, like absolite manaphy. With sucker punch, it can at least revenge victini, but +2 is really the benchmark priority bracket. There are better options for diancite users, since really anything becomes threatening with the diancite boost.
I just switched to using a Mewtwonite X on it.

[I'm posting this here to avoid double posting]
Some Mega Stones make Weavile disgustingly overpowered

Last edited:
Beauty (Latias) @ Sablenite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind

363/416/396 Defenses.
The only thing I've seen that can break this thing is Weavile (Glailite/Mewtwonite X). Knock Off being useless in the meta is a huge deal. Everything else just can't keep up once it gets a Calm Mind in. Dragon Pulse beats other Latis. The Steel-types you'd most likely encounter will be either stall or lack SDef to take Stored Power anyway.

Glailite Weavile is too annoying. ._.

Last edited:
Here are my two cents on suspect tests:
DIANCITE ARCHEOPS: This thing hits incredibly hard and incredibly fast and can only be stopped by priority or the occasional Pokemon with 400+ Speed. Take it from someone who uses it.
NO GUARD HYPNOSIS: The guaranteed inability to do anything for a few turns is unhealthy for the metagame, and the only thing that prevents it from being more abusable than it already is is the Sleep Clause.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Here are my two cents on suspect tests:
DIANCITE ARCHEOPS: This thing hits incredibly hard and incredibly fast and can only be stopped by priority or the occasional Pokemon with 400+ Speed. Take it from someone who uses it.
NO GUARD HYPNOSIS: The guaranteed inability to do anything for a few turns is unhealthy for the metagame, and the only thing that prevents it from being more abusable than it already is is the Sleep Clause.
Archeops is really weak to -ate speed which is everywhere and has generally low defenses, meaning it will always need to guarantee the KO, especially with Diancite. I don't feel it's broken at all imo.

No Guard sleep is already something that has been discussed and determined not ban worthy a few pages back, so check out the reasoning there.

Also I'm pretty sure we are just banning the individual Pokemon, and are not gone start doing complex band pertaining to a Pokemon + a specific stone.

Because this is ubers based, I need to ask something? What's supposed to be the banning philosophy of this meta? I don't understand this thread talks about suspects easily when it's ubers based? If you're using Ubers banning philosophy, then you should suspect this only if they are Mega Ray level of broken.

I'm not suggesting to stop talking about suspect. I feel like it's just need to be considered before banning more things in the beginning of the month.

Cameruptite Hoopa-U is pretty devastating to teams that lack priority (or their priority is dead).

I think someone posted something like this a few weeks back
Hoopa-Unbound @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psychic (to Manchamp below: I just mistyped here. You'll see psychic ohkoing lando-t below)
- Dark Pulse / Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

it's stats go from
80/160/60/170/130/80
to
80/180/90/210/160/60
which is pretty absurd for a trick room user with sheer force.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-325438343

another replay of hoopa plundering some poor chap without priority:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-325879342

P.S. As always, Altarianite Entei is incredible.

#ban inspect ate-speed

Last edited:
If you plan on having a Replays section in the OP, here's one
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-325448812
I thought this battle was quite exceptional because my opponent played very well, the teams were diverse and the outcome could be considered u expected. For anyone who decides to watch, enjoy!
Cameruptite Hoopa-U is pretty devastating to teams that lack priority (or their priority is dead).

I think someone posted something like this a few weeks back
Hoopa-Unbound @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse / Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

it's stats go from
80/160/60/170/130/80
to
80/180/90/210/160/60
which is pretty absurd for a trick room user with sheer force.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-325438343

P.S. As always, Altarianite Entei is incredible.

#ban inspect ate-speed
Psyshock doesn't get a Sheer Force boost, so I would use Psychic. With 210 SpA, good coverage, and very high BP moves I don't think Nasty Plot is necessary, so go for a physical move to kill Blissey/special walls, or Sub or something like that.

And yes, Altarianite Entei is one of the best sets in this meta.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Because this is ubers based, I need to ask something? What's supposed to be the banning philosophy of this meta? I don't understand this thread talks about suspects easily when it's ubers based? If you're using Ubers banning philosophy, then you should suspect this only if they are Mega Ray level of broken.

I'm not suggesting to stop talking about suspect. I feel like it's just need to be considered before banning more things in the beginning of the month.
i think the problem is people think "ubers in the meta=ubers based meta" which is false. this meta has a LOT more bulky mons then ubers, and if you unban shadow tag, you really need to look out for ates, because shadow tag pretty much turns the meta into "when will it come out and defeat my one atespeed check" if you want this meta to live on and not destroy itself, gengarite is better off gone. and dispite being very odd to say, i think OU's banning philosophy is a lot more beneficial to this meta then ubers, since if this meta boasts diversity, limiting that with the sheer power some mega stones give is just way too counterproductive. shadow tag would nullify any form of bulky offense/stall and even limit offense with the right abusers.

personally, i think this meta serves best with a "OU" based criteria. and so far nobody has really given a good explanation on why they want an uber based meta other then "it has ubers in it". which really shouldn't be a reason. you have to think "what direction do i want this meta to go" which i dont think even ubers really wants to be a ubers based tier, but they really cant do anything about it.

but yeah, clarification would be nice, so we can actually discuss bans without this constantly being brought up, since this is kinda a big deal.

I have a suggestion: Why not let Marowak also make use of Mawilite and Medichamite? It already gets the Huge Power boost with its item (Thick Club) but can't use it with a Mega Stone.
Of course, as you can see from my avatar, I'm a little biased but I think Mawilite could open up some possibilities for it with Aegislash-tier bulk (without the good typing but huge Attack instead).
Any thoughts?

So, I'm not sure how Its meant to work, but Meloetta using relic song is messed up
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mixandmega-325464701
Basically it was believed that meloetta aria would keep the flying type even after transforming back, but it doesn't, it turns into normal Psy.
Meloetta isn't even supposed to transform from Relic Song after she Mega Evolves. In fact, if she changes to Pirouette Forme and then Mega Evolves, she's supposed to keep her Pirouette Forme-based Mega even if she switches out.

Also hi, I'm vaguely not dead.

Gyaradosite Shuckle would have 20/40/260/20/260/5 stats, and a pokemon cannot hold a mega stone that would give it more than 255 in a stat. If you really need mold breaker webs, you'll have to use galvantula (or one of the other, even worse webs setters). Since shuckle can't use gyaradosite or ampharosite (gives it -5 speed), and smeargle is unable to mega.

Just in the interest of mixing things up a bit (no pun intended), I had an idea. Since this is an Ubers based meta, why don't we give some Ubers the ability to hold mega stones? No I'm not talking about ones like Arceus (although it would be hilarious to see Red Orb Reshiram and Metagrossite Zekrom), I'm talking about the ones which were OU but then got banned. Going through the list:

Aegislash: With Mega Stones it would have to choose between a glass cannon or a weak wall. As a wall it lacks reliable recovery. As an attacker, it would either be too slow or if you gave it the Diancite it would die to anything. I personally think it would be OK.

Deoxys: Hell no, Deoxys-D/S with Banettite, A with...well pretty much anything, S with Ampharosite...no that would be too much

Darkrai: It would be like a faster, bulkier (but still frail) slightly weaker Gengar with worse defensive typing. Maybe, maybe not

Genesect: This thing would certainly be a major force given its huge movepool and Download, but then again so's Victini and that thing isn't broken. Yes Genesect is more powerful, but Victini has better bulk and stronger STABs. I think this would be OK

Greninja: No mega stone gives Protean (what made it broken in the first place), so it would simply be another fast frail attacker.

Landorus-I: What would this thing even do? It doesn't get Hyper Voice so it can't abuse -ate, the Cameruptite wrecks its Speed (although it does get Rock Polish), and it can't abuse the Pidgeottite nearly as well as Gengar, Victini and even Tornadus and Thundurus.

Shaymin-S: See Greninja

On a side note, a set I've had great results with

Mew @ Sablenite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

After a couple of Calm Minds this set is damn near unbreakable. Yes you can't touch Dark types, but most of them are physical, so won't enjoy eating a Will-O-Wisp. Psyshock gets STAB and lets you beat Blissey and Suicune if they try to Calm Mind against you. Roost keeps you healthy; Will-O-Wisp lets you cripple non Magic Bounce physical attackers. Since the Sablenite wrecks your Speed, there's no point investing in that, and since Calm Mind boosts Special Attack and Special Defence they don't need investment.

Okay, no. We're not going to try suspecting any ubers unless Ghoul King really feels like it. Sure, some things might not be broken when unbanned, but it'd be overly complicated and most likely would NOT add anything to the meta. Landorus-I wasn't ever seen Pre-OU ban, and I doubt it would be any different now. Greninja as you said, is just fast and frail-thusly mediocre, and not seen. I enjoy this OM for its creativity, but the problem is, most of the things you want unbanned would simply be outclassed or broken.(darkrai would be really borked, access to nasty plot and still possessing a reliable sleep move.)

The mew set you posted is nothing new. I've been using it since Cresselia was banned. It does work and is an excellent WinCon, but needs support against powerful special attackers, Fire Types, and Dark Types. Hilariously enough, setting up Trick Room before sending it in does wonders, allowing it to set up that early Calm Mind can allow it to tank/sponge the hit it needs to get off multiple CMs.

Meloetta isn't even supposed to transform from Relic Song after she Mega Evolves. In fact, if she changes to Pirouette Forme and then Mega Evolves, she's supposed to keep her Pirouette Forme-based Mega even if she switches out.

Also hi, I'm vaguely not dead.
Welcome back!

Also yeah, Forme Changes are supposed to be locked after Mega Evolution. Tagging The Immortal and Slayer95. Dunno if it's just Meloetta that's behaving incorrectly, but Meloetta at the last is.

I have a suggestion: Why not let Marowak also make use of Mawilite and Medichamite? It already gets the Huge Power boost with its item (Thick Club) but can't use it with a Mega Stone.
Of course, as you can see from my avatar, I'm a little biased but I think Mawilite could open up some possibilities for it with Aegislash-tier bulk (without the good typing but huge Attack instead).
Any thoughts?
Not happening. I like your logic, but the premise is intended to be simple, and that's a complication to open the way for a single Pokemon/Mega Stone combination.

The intended banning philosophy is closer to OU than to Ubers. So far bans have been focused on outright cancerous stuff because there's been enough cancerous stuff it's taking us a while just to get through that stuff -eg Sceptilite Heliolisk abusing Electrify, No Guard Dynamic Punch/Zap Cannon- with a handful of bans based on "This combination is competitively valid but overly good" (Cresselia, Dragonite, and the more contested Lucario), which I suspect is contributing to the confusion because very little has been banned that wasn't an urgent, horribly uncompetitive issue.

But, again: think OU, not Ubers. Keep in mind part of what Mix and Mega does is put OU Pokemon as competitive with Ubers. (Indeed, many teams run no Ubers at all, and Ubers are often somewhat underwhelming as teammates, as their access to regular items only provides a handful of truly notable advantages) It's probably more accurate to think of Mix and Mega as like Gods Among Us, where Ubers are brought down to the level of OU Pokemon -I don't think anybody is under the impression Gods Among Us is using an Ubers philosophy just because Ubers are usable in the meta. Mix and Mega is kind of the flipside of that, with OU-tier Pokemon pulled up to Ubers viability, and it doesn't break the meta because everything is that strong.

And to re-iterate a different point: so far my focus on suspects/bans has been on clearing out the cancer. I honestly don't know yet what my banning philosophy will look like once all the cancer is gone.

Just in the interest of mixing things up a bit (no pun intended), I had an idea. Since this is an Ubers based meta, why don't we give some Ubers the ability to hold mega stones? No I'm not talking about ones like Arceus (although it would be hilarious to see Red Orb Reshiram and Metagrossite Zekrom), I'm talking about the ones which were OU but then got banned. Going through the list:

Aegislash: With Mega Stones it would have to choose between a glass cannon or a weak wall. As a wall it lacks reliable recovery. As an attacker, it would either be too slow or if you gave it the Diancite it would die to anything. I personally think it would be OK.

Deoxys: Hell no, Deoxys-D/S with Banettite, A with...well pretty much anything, S with Ampharosite...no that would be too much

Darkrai: It would be like a faster, bulkier (but still frail) slightly weaker Gengar with worse defensive typing. Maybe, maybe not

Genesect: This thing would certainly be a major force given its huge movepool and Download, but then again so's Victini and that thing isn't broken. Yes Genesect is more powerful, but Victini has better bulk and stronger STABs. I think this would be OK

Greninja: No mega stone gives Protean (what made it broken in the first place), so it would simply be another fast frail attacker.

Landorus-I: What would this thing even do? It doesn't get Hyper Voice so it can't abuse -ate, the Cameruptite wrecks its Speed (although it does get Rock Polish), and it can't abuse the Pidgeottite nearly as well as Gengar, Victini and even Tornadus and Thundurus.

Shaymin-S: See Greninja
Not happening. We're still busy stabilizing the meta, and the value added isn't worth the barrier to new players.

EDIT: Also, I am amenable to using the third Reserved post for replays. Preferably give some context and description for the replays, talk a little bit about your team and what it's supposed to do, etc, so people can learn from it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)