Mono steel?!

I've been playing Pokemon on and off for a while, but I've always really sucked. I've been lurking around Smogon for four or five months, and it wasn't until a few weeks ago I decided to get somewhat decent at it. So, just for the heck of it I decided to make a mono steel team just to see how well it functioned. Strangely enough, it's been better than most of my competative teams...

Floating Stihl (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/106 SDef
Sassy nature (+SpDef, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball

He helps cover my ground weekness, makes an awesome lead by sleeping their lead or the switch in, and lays down Steath Rocks. He takes most every hit like a beast and murders speedy leads with Gyro Ball.
---

Blue Stihl (Lucario) (♂) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 40 Atk/252 Spd/214 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Close Combat
- Shadow Ball
- Agility

MixCario?! Saw the thread, and decided to try it out myself. Usually nabs a few kills each game, switch it into Blissey, and HP Ice their Gliscor switchin. Or if I know they have Gengar, Agility on the switch and Shadow Ball it.
---

Lucky Stihl (Jirachi) @ Choice Band
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch

Yet another stupid set that somehow works out. Three Elemental Punches make for good type coverage and keep it from getting walled by other Steels, Zen Headbutt kills Gengar and friends and makes up for STAB
---

Shocking Stihl (Magnezone) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 88 HP/88 Atk/84 Spd/248 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Skarmory killer, and kills most everything else too. The EV spread is the standard attacking Zone from the analysis, I'm not to sure on it though, it wasn't to in depth on the set.
---

Flaming Stihl (Heatran) (♂) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Explosion

Scarftran kills stuff. And makes for a switch in to fire attacks. This is probably the biggest team weakness, if Heatran goes down, then a fast Fire Blast user rapes the rest of the team, so explosion's used pretty sparingly. It does come in handy though late game when if my physical attackers are down to kill Blissey and let Zone sweep.
---

Flying Stihl (Skarmory) (♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/96 Atk/146 Def/16 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Drill Peck for an actual attack, Roost so it doesn't die, Spikes for entry damage (I love spikes now...), Whirlwind to PHaze. I got swept to much by CurseLaxes before to go without it now. It also provides a ground immunity.
---

My biggest problem that I've encountered yet is MixApe, or any Ape for that matter. If Heatran goes down, then my entire team is screwed unless it kills itself through recoil; but that really only applies to physical Apes. Other than that, there's really not a whole lot that bothers this team. Earthquakers are handled easily cause Zong and Skarm never seem to die, DD leads are handled through Gyroball. The only thing this team is missing is a Rapid Spinner and a priority attack, picking off stupid sweepers at 4% would be oh so helpful.

Another major pain is Switcheroo/Trick leads, but that's mostly a fault of my own. Bronzong functions VERY poorly with a scarf :p

Tyranitar: My entire teams immune to SS, so that's not a threat at all, he hates CB Ice Punches, he gets mauled by Lukes CC, he gets killed by Heatrans Earth Power, and Magnezone has HP Ice.

Gyarados: Even with Intimidate, Gyro Ball does a number to the DD version, and if I can catch him on the switch, then Magnezone can OHKO.

Infernape: Ugh. Catch it with Flash Fire, and OHKO with Earth Power, or 2HKO with FB from Heatran. If Heatrans dead though, I'm screwed

Azelf: Gyro Ball should do a number, and Heatran can come in on Flame Thrower. Bronzong also walls it well.

Rhyperior: HP Ice and CC.

Electivire: If he gets a Motor Drive, I'm probably screwed, but if not then Bronzong can kill it with EQ. I haven't fought many Electivires yet so I don't know :/

Heracross: Skarm and Bronzong wall it, and Skarm kills it with Drill Peck, Heatran can kill with Fire Blast if it isn't scarfed. Jirachi also kills it with Zen Headbutt.

Salamence: Luke can out speed it with an Agility, I think, or he can just kill it on the switch with HP Ice, same with Zone. Jirachi should do a number on it with Ice Punch.

Togekiss: CC from Luke should kill it, or Ice Punch fron Jirachi

Gengar: Shadow Ball from Luke after an Agility, or Gyro Ball from Zong. Gyro Ball won't OHKO, but it's gonna kill it before Zong gets killed.

Garchomp: Walled by skarm, HP Ice from Luke or Zone or Heatran, Ice Punch from Jirachi, or Gyro Ball from Zone.

Raikou: Haven't fought any Raikous yet, but they should be walled by Zong. Advice?

Lucario: CC form my Luke, FB, or EQ. Should be able to out stall with Skarm.

Tauros: Luke is faster unless it's scarfed. If that happens then he gets walled by Skarm

Starmie: Zone kills it, Shadow Ball kills it.

Weavile: Kill it on the switch, Gyro Ball, Heatran, etc.

Dugtrio: Ew, haven't seen any Dugtrios around. Thank God.

Alakazam: See Azelf

PorygonZ: Unless it's Scarfed, Lucario can usually kill it. Same with Heatran. I've also killed a Scarfed one with Zong before.

Medicham: Unless it's Scarfed, I can usually out speed it. If it's Scarfed, it's probably gonna get walled

Gonna get the rest of the list when I can.

So yeah, that's my team. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Oh, and Aragornbird is cool, but he needs to do a Magnezone picture.

5 fire Weak- Honestly, I don't think heatran will do. When he's gone (Which is not hard to do, who will cover your weakness?)
4 Ground weak- One of the most popular moves in the game. Every team runs it, I'm not sure Skarm/Zong is enough.
3 Fight weak- This is not AS bad, but it may still give you issues with all the 'Napes running around.

Infernape- Close Combat, Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, EQ/Grass knot
Will rip this team if Tran is gone. Everything is fine, but try covering your weaknesses better.

5 fire Weak- Honestly, I don't think heatran will do. When he's gone (Which is not hard to do, who will cover your weakness?)
4 Ground weak- One of the most popular moves in the game. Every team runs it, I'm not sure Skarm/Zong is enough.
3 Fight weak- This is not AS bad, but it may still give you issues with all the 'Napes running around.

Infernape- Close Combat, Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, EQ/Grass knot
Will rip this team if Tran is gone. Everything is fine, but try covering your weaknesses better.
Yeah, that's the problem with most mono teams. Who should I put in for a Fire resist though, and who should get replaced? The ground and fight weak I'm not too worried about, Zong and Skarm last forever.

Tyranitar isn't weak to ice.

Other then that, uhh...

Empoleon would help against fire, but Infernape will tear this team apart. It will team *any* mono steel team apart if they don't use a Choice Scarfer. Try Scarf Metagross or something. It could get a surprise kill on Inferanpe, where as Heatran might be expected.

Tyranitar isn't weak to ice.

Other then that, uhh...

Empoleon would help against fire, but Infernape will tear this team apart. It will team *any* mono steel team apart if they don't use a Choice Scarfer. Try Scarf Metagross or something. It could get a surprise kill on Inferanpe, where as Heatran might be expected.
It isn't? I thought Rock was...

Scarf meta sounds like fun, I'll definitely try that out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)