Resource Monotype Viability Rankings [March 2024]

1711213246477.png
A --> B on Flying

Skarm is a cute bird, but with Bax ban it's quite difficult to find a place for it on flying when a wealth of attacking options open are that are no longer limited by their inability to survive boosted ice shard.

A --> S on Dragon

Really good glue, rocker, all around somewhat broken mon that is probably the reason for Dragon's continued dominance. Lives +2 EQs and simply sits on a lot of mons from a variety of types. Critical to stop shit like Val, Mane, Meow, phys pult, moon, gambit and pao.

C --> B on Dragon

Yes it isn't Bax and doesn't have priority but specs rem is a phenomenal wallbreaker still. Flying is more common now and this thing shits on it almost as much as Bax did. Along with ground poison and water. Last slot on dragon is more free and it's just devastating with specs. Has problems due to speed tier and being hazard weak. Can also run ddance apparently but I think that's just a bad idea. This is my least sure nom but I think it's definitely not a bad pick. And of course you can just load scarf to snipe the rain players on ladder whose entire team dies to freeze dry.

anyways dragon needs a minior counter holy fuck

View attachment 618227A --> B on Flying

Skarm is a cute bird, but with Bax ban it's quite difficult to find a place for it on flying when a wealth of attacking options open are that are no longer limited by their inability to survive boosted ice shard.
There is no way Skarmory drops in Flying just because of Bax ban.
When u have Chien Pao, Kingambit, Mamoswine just to name them, u can't imagine not running Skarm/Corvi in ur team.
Both may be used even if Corviknight is better because of Pressure/U-Turn but u can still play Skarmory if u play another Defog Flying mon.
+ the fact usually, when Corvi and Skarm are played in the same team, they don't have the same utility. Corvi is mostly played with spdef/mixxed bulk when Skarm is 100% physical with by example hazards.

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
is a Contributor to Smogon
I've been playing with a lot of types recently so here are some of my takes:

:iron-boulder: B --> A (Psychic)
Psychic's best speed control option at the moment. Mighty Cleave easily takes out Bugs Psychic teams struggle with like Volc, while EQ shreds past Heatran. With Choice Scarf you outspeed stuff like valiant, pao, and gren

:indeedee: B --> A (Psychic)
Another one of Psychic's speed control options. Its normal typing allows it to take advantage of mons choice-locked into a Ghost move and force them out. Psychic Terrain is also really good, not only boosting Psychic-type moves of teammates not named the Lati twins, but it also prevents stuff like Scizor and Kingambit from sweeping your team with priority

:goodra-hisui: B --> A (Dragon)
Dragon's best option against Fairy imo, being able to 1v1 the likes of Choice Specs Fairies like Mane and Valiant. Otherwise its also very good in other matchups like the mirror Dragon matchup, being able to take on the Lati twins and Specs Dragapult, and with assistance from Archaludon, you do pretty well in the Ice matchup taking on kyurem

boomp

Never Give Up
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/tentacruel: C -> B on Water
One of thefew spinners on Water + Liquid Ooze to deal with the Ogerpons. Its actually a nice Physical wall as well if you go that route which is underrated. 3hko from Meowscarada's Flower trick and survives a +2 Horn Leech from the Ogerpons from full. With the Lack off removal options for water I think Tentacruel has Rapid Spin its way to B.

I have some thoughts about shifting around of some steel type mons
:heatran: I think Heatran deserves to be up in S, any team without Heatran is just inferior to those with it, the fire immunity is just too strong let alone the other benefits Heatran brings. More specifically the fact is that it is the only answer to Gouging Fire on the type, a mon that would otherwise win the matchup singlehandedly (Archaludon can beat Gouging Fire, but only if the dragon/fire player is misplaying).
:excadrill: Honestly there is very little reason to be running Excadrill over Iron treads with it's lower speed and inferior bulk, Excadrill hits slightly harder, but I don't think that makes up for it. The oppurtunity cost pushes down the viability down, so I would put this mon in C tier at the very least, probably lower.
:Empoleon: Similarly to Excadrill being outclassed by Iron Treads, Empoleon is outclassed as a special wall by Goodra-Hisui, but to a lesser extent. It's utility is in having a pivot move and reliable healing, but i dont feel that benefit outweighs how much bulk you are losing in comparison to Goodra, as well as the power that comes from Goodra being able to come in and kill threats like Greninja, Primarina, and Latios. I think Empoleon should be moved to C tier.

I would also mention that Corviknight and Skarmory being A tier makes sense, but a new player looking at this list might think that they can skip over them safely, when in reality on any good steel team 99% of the time one of the two is being played. I don't know how to convey that idea in the ranking though, so i guess it will have to stay like that.

Last edited:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Not played the most and probably dumb, but how would :MInior: do in Flying for the mirror and for some others?
Minior-Indigo @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge / Power Gem
- Earthquake (or Earth Power if you'd like)
- Acrobatics
Sorry for the very late reply but Minior is not really seen on Flying teams since Flying (teams) is balance, and Minior doesn't really want to wait, it wants to smash and go brr immediately.

Anyway, Minior seems to be a pretty strong game ender against Flying teams (Adamant Stone Edge does 50% Minimum to Skarm at +2, while Power Gem with non -SpA deals 70% at +2), finding the time to setup vs Gliscor pretty freely due to Shield's Down. Aside from this, it bodies Dragon without Raging Bolt, Fighting, and Fire on paper. Minior "beating" fire is actually pretty interesting as Flying otherwise has a hard time vs this type unless they run Lando-I + Glisc due to Flying's typical team composition. However, finding a time to smash can be really hard and Flying itself already struggles to deal with all the op guys with its six slots, making minior stay in the bench.

Good team mates for a possible minior team would be Choice Band Dragonite to clean up what's left after minior goes brr, Tornadus-T for the immediate speed against threats like Oger-W and Valiant that just kill Minior (+ vibes with minior as it can Nasty Plot), Corviknight for defog and pivoting so that you can get in vs targets you want to smash on, Landorus-I for softening up opposing teams and removing phys walls, and Enamorus for healing wish.

I hope this helps (if you still need it)

boomp

Never Give Up
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/Talonflame: B ->A on Fire.
From having great role compression by being Ground immunity and hazard removal, i feel like T flame deserves a rise on the VR. It also can provide speedy priority Brave Bird or Defog thanks to Gale Wings, while also being fast enough to OHKO Ogerpon-W. From burning threats like Great Tusk, Garchomp, and Excadrill, to providing pivoting for the team with U-turn... I feel Talonflame Defog its way into A.

:sv/cinccino: D -> B
One of the few physical attackers for the type with great speed and access to Tidy Up + great coverage moves. Cinccino is a force to be reckon with by taking out water-, Ground-, Rock-, Fire-, Flying-, and Dragon-types with Bullet Seed, Triple axel, and Rock Blast is just incredible for this little guy. Rather you dislike it or not, I feel Cinccino Tidy Up its way to B tier.

:sv/ditto: A -> S
Pretty straight forward, Ditto just straight up stops set up attempts from threats like Chien-Pao, Kingambit, and many more is huge for the type. I believe Ditto Transform it's way into S.

I think Slither Wing should be in B tier for Bug. While First Impression is a great revenge killing tool, it suffers the same issues as Lokix, forcing switching to trigger it multiple times, as well as struggling to properly sweep. Switching is bad on Bug overall, because it's mainly forced into hyperoffense due to limited choices, with few reliable pivots, and it also worsens due to Bug's weakness to entry hazards. It can, of course, offer great damage, but its restrictions and flaws limit it far more than most Bug types, so it should be B, despite its benefits.

Last edited:

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
Alright I'm back with three more Poison takes, and frankly I think two of these I'm going to get yelled at for, but I need to get them off my chest.
Anyway, I'll start with the least controversial one.

:Overqwil: C -> B

As of right now, the metagame has a lot of prominent physically attacking Psychic-types that Poison can struggle to handle such as Iron Boulder, Metagross, and most importantly, Gallade. And even ignoring the Psychic-types other big physical attackers that Poison can struggle to handle such as Azumaril, Roaring Moon, Ogerpon-H and Ceruledge run around with Poison have a struggle keeping them off with a lot of teams struggling to fit a hazard setter with both Glimmora and Clodsire seeing only occasional use on Poison thanks to their significant issues on the type and have to resort to no hazards or just relying on Toxic Spikes Toxapex.
Overqwil helps to contain these issues and then some. Being a Physically Bulky Dark-tye it of course handles the Physical Psychic's being immune to their Psychic STAB and taking negliable damage at best (Notably Gallade and Iron Boulder do less than 36% with their other STAB after Intimidate) along with threatening a lot more thanks to its dual STAB Combo, with Crunch serving a solid main stab which also helps against Ghost-types or Barb barrage which it can easily get boosted thanks to Poison being the Poison-type and carrying several mons with stuff like Poison Touch, Toxic Chain or just the Status moves or its own Toxic Spikes. Speaking of Barb of its Hazards, Hatterene can't do shit to it lmao, on all of Poison's other Hazard setters they have to make a choice of choosing between Hatt coming in and pre hard balling to AMuk or going "she won't come in" and facing the consquences if she does, but not Overqwil, Barb Barrage got you covered there, Hazard stack against Fairy and Psychic all you want because they can't stop you. Now it isn't the main Poison Dark of Poison, AMuk's special bulk still has it beat in the Ghost and Psychic matchups and it does have a signifcant flaw of having every Special Attacker making you its bitch (Its special bulk of 65 is garbo) But when it works, it works well.

:Clodsire: B -> C
In comparrison to that big write up Clodsire just suffers from being mostly outclassed, AMuk and Glowking are just better special walls covering more matchups better and while yes, they aren't Unaware. Alolan Muk covers a Psychic Immunity and a Ghost resists which are incredible and Glowking packs Regenerator, a Psychic neutraltry and amazing special coverage. Clodsire's biggest claim to fame is that it has an Electric immunity which, yes is good, Poison can struggle into Electric (in my opinion), Electric also has two more things to consider.
A. It is commonly viewed as a bottom 3, usually bottom 1, type and it not worth considering building around for the most part.
B. Zapdos and Rotom-Wash exist, and Clodsire loses to both of them unless it is packing Toxic and they are not packing Sub.
Also its Ground Weak while not offering anyway way to help with our Lando-I or Bloodmoon problem, so scram.

Okay, now the big one.

Awhile back (when this viability ranking started) there was a discussion about S Rank Glue mons that you want to put on a majority of your teams because they are the best option/you having nothing better. And I feel like as of right now, 2/3 of Poison-types in S Rank fit this Criteria.
Alolan Muk, is an amazing special wall, with a resistance to Ghost and Psychic immunity it can easily take on several monsters of this Metagame like Flutter Mane, Hatterene, Deoxy-S, Darkrai and Greninja without breaking a sweat.
Amoonguss, provides breathing room with Spore, Foul play to return power against Physical attackers and Grass STAB to push through Water and Ground like no other mon can in this type.
And then, there is Toxapex.

:Toxapex: S -> A
This comes from a place of love, but I now believe Toxapex no longer deserves to be S Rank with the other two.
The big issues is this, its passive.
Too Passive.
Yes it is a generally good Pokemon with it being able to handle a bunch of stuff in a majority of matchups it runs into, but it runs into the problem of not having enough tools anymore compared to its rapidly growing competiton that has sprung forth to offer solutions to the many problems Poison faces all with Higher offenses and more unique tools than just, Haze and Recover.
Overqwil, as I've outlined prior can create hazards and helps to handle physical attcking Psychic-types or even just slow them down with Intimidate.
Pecharunt, which is even bulkier physically, has setup potetional with Nasty Plot and can pivot with Parting shot.
Galarian Weezing, is both a Ground and Dragon immunity that can spread Burn, along with removing Hazards.
Okidogi, is not a physical wall in the convetional sense, however Bulk up can allow it to become one and allow it to easily steam past Dark, and more important, Steel teams (once the Psychic packing mon is dealt with)
And while I've already mentioned it, Amoonguss is what you would want to bring into the Water matchup, not Toxapex.
Yes, Toxapex has Regenerator, and is the best Rocky Helmet user of the type, which are great tools but they aren't enough to keep Toxapex high and mighty.

Last edited:
Back to action.

:gallade: C --> A

In the current DLC2 meta, Gallade offers incredible value to Fighting by being a great balance of offense and defense thanks to its Sharpness ability, access to a variety of slicing moves and Assault Vest complementing its natural bulk in Special Defense.
  • The combination of Gallade's natural specially defensive bulk, Assault Vest, Sharpness boosted Night Slash and priority Shadow Sneak, gives Gallade the invaluable utility of checking extremely threatening Psychic-type Pokemon such as Espathra, Latios and Latias.
  • Gallade plays a pivotal role in the Poison matchup - one of Fighting's worst - thanks to Sharpness boosted Psycho Cut and Sacred Sword for Poison/Dark switch-ins.
  • Gallade proves itself as the superior option to Scrafty for Psychic coverage defense, by limiting Fairy-type threats like Flutter Mane, Iron Valiant and Enamorus to guaranteed 2HKO hits, thereby winning 1v1.
  • Despite its Ghost-type weakness, Gallade is still a threat in the Ghost matchup thanks to boosted Night Slash and priority Shadow Sneak.
  • Despite taking neutral damage from Dark-type coverage as opposed to resisting, Gallade still offers great value in the Dark matchup by being a defensive check for Greninja, Hoopa-Unbound and Darkrai.
  • Sharpness boosts Sacred Sword to 135 base power, while providing the invaluable utility of ignoring the target's stat changes such as Archaludon's Stamina and Iron Defense users like Skarmory, Zamazenta and "demon keys" Klefki.
For your consideration, I can back up my claims above with damage calcs and replays:
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 283-334 (112.7 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 146-172 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Espathra: 270-318 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Espathra: 102-122 (25.8 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 108-128 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 296-350 (93.3 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 112-134 (35.3 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 246-290 (78 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 94-112 (29.8 - 35.5%) -- 22.6% chance to 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 188-224 (62 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 318-374 (73.7 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 224-266 (67.2 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Muk-Alola: 282-333 (68.2 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 200 HP / 212+ Def Archaludon: 278-330 (74.9 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zamazenta: 199-235 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 129-153 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Corviknight: 216-255 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 246-290 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Luster Purge vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 120-142 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +2 0 SpA Espathra Stored Power (120 BP) vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 135-159 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 85-102 (29.2 - 35%) -- 10.2% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Hoopa-Unbound Psychic vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 93-111 (31.9 - 38.1%) -- 94.3% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 138-164 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Enamorus Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 168-198 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 168-200 (57.7 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1712768349124.png

s/o ArkenCiel for the original inspiration and my peeps Coach Harry & TheIronPikachu & cpt.kraken

Last edited:

CaptainDaimyo

Love is a rebellious bird that none can tame...
More of my thoughts:
:zapdos-galar: (Fighting) C --> B
I feel like Galarian Zapdos is quite an underrated pick for Fighting teams. With STAB Brave Bird, you are able to blitz pass Amoonguss, some Volcarona (while unboosted and runs bulky sets with only STAB attacks, you lose to Psychic variants :psysad:) , and Sinistcha. You also get a ground immunity so you have a nice switch in to Great Tusk. What holds it back though is that it loses to Pao (but fighting has enough resources to deal with Pao)

:hoopa-unbound: (Dark) B --> A
One of my favorite mons to use rn, especially its mixed scarf set. Scarf in particular wrecks through poison (once sneasler is out) and Fighting. With the community (at least from what I've seen in metagame discussion) discussing about Pao being too unhealthy for the current meta, Hoopa-U might become one of the main Dark staples in the future, but for now, it still has enough merit to go in A

Others Discussed:
:sv/tentacruel: C -> B on Water
One of thefew spinners on Water + Liquid Ooze to deal with the Ogerpons. Its actually a nice Physical wall as well if you go that route which is underrated. 3hko from Meowscarada's Flower trick and survives a +2 Horn Leech from the Ogerpons from full. With the Lack off removal options for water I think Tentacruel has Rapid Spin its way to B.
Agree with this. Aside from liquid ooze dealing with the ogerpons, now we know that it can handle sinistcha as well since matcha gotcha also triggers ooze (thanks Neko!) and haze ends cm attempts from it, and like what was mentioned, it can rapid spin and it has great role compression too with tspikes and flip turn

Back to action.

:gallade: C --> A

In the current DLC2 meta, Gallade offers incredible value to Fighting by being a great balance of offense and defense thanks to its Sharpness ability, access to a variety of slicing moves and Assault Vest complementing its natural bulk in Special Defense.
  • The combination of Gallade's natural specially defensive bulk, Assault Vest, Sharpness boosted Night Slash and priority Shadow Sneak, gives Gallade the invaluable utility of checking extremely threatening Psychic-type Pokemon such as Espathra, Latios and Latias.
  • Gallade plays a pivotal role in the Poison matchup - one of Fighting's worst - thanks to Sharpness boosted Psycho Cut and Sacred Sword for Poison/Dark switch-ins.
  • Gallade proves itself as the superior option to Scrafty for Psychic coverage defense, by limiting Fairy-type threats like Flutter Mane, Iron Valiant and Enamorus to guaranteed 2HKO hits, thereby winning 1v1.
  • Despite its Ghost-type weakness, Gallade is still a threat in the Ghost matchup thanks to boosted Night Slash and priority Shadow Sneak.
  • Despite taking neutral damage from Dark-type coverage as opposed to resisting, Gallade still offers great value in the Dark matchup by being a defensive check for Greninja, Hoopa-Unbound and Darkrai.
  • Sharpness boosts Sacred Sword to 135 base power, while providing the invaluable utility of ignoring the target's stat changes such as Archaludon's Stamina and Iron Defense users like Skarmory, Zamazenta and "demon keys" Klefki.
For your consideration, I can back up my claims above with damage calcs and replays:
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 283-334 (112.7 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 146-172 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Espathra: 270-318 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Espathra: 102-122 (25.8 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 108-128 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 296-350 (93.3 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 112-134 (35.3 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 246-290 (78 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 192+ Atk Gallade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 94-112 (29.8 - 35.5%) -- 22.6% chance to 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 188-224 (62 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 318-374 (73.7 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 224-266 (67.2 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Muk-Alola: 282-333 (68.2 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 200 HP / 212+ Def Archaludon: 278-330 (74.9 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zamazenta: 199-235 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 129-153 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Corviknight: 216-255 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 246-290 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Luster Purge vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 120-142 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +2 0 SpA Espathra Stored Power (120 BP) vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 135-159 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 85-102 (29.2 - 35%) -- 10.2% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Hoopa-Unbound Psychic vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 93-111 (31.9 - 38.1%) -- 94.3% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 138-164 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Enamorus Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 168-198 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 168-200 (57.7 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

s/o ArkenCiel for the original inspiration and my peeps Coach Harry & TheIronPikachu & cpt.kraken
Disagree. While I see the case for gallade to get a rise, A is way too high imo. There are way better mons on fighting that can take advantage of avest, and some of the points you've mentioned above are better fulfilled with the other avest candidates, such as Okidogi and Iron Hands.

I'll be experimenting with some more mons and hopefully I'll be able to get more mon nominations up in the future!

Disagree. While I see the case for gallade to get a rise, A is way too high imo. There are way better mons on fighting that can take advantage of avest, and some of the points you've mentioned above are better fulfilled with the other avest candidates, such as Okidogi and Iron Hands.
  • Where are you getting the idea that only Gallade can run AV? Last I checked there was no item clause in Monotype
  • Why are you not taking Gallade's natural bulk in SpDef into account? With a base stat of 115, this is the joint 3rd highest (with Scrafty and Zamazenta) among all Fighting type Pokemon, behind only Arceus-Fighting and Virizion.
  • Gallade provides role compression by offering all of the following in 1 team member slot:
    1. easily tanking any Psychic type coverage
    2. dealing with Poison types
    3. living any hit from Choice Specs Flutter Mane
    4. Sharpness + Sacred Sword, to ignore Archaludon's Stamina and DEF boosts from Iron Defense users like Skarmory and Zamazenta
    5. Sharpness + Night Slash to deal with Psychic and Ghost types
    6. Priority Shadow Sneak to revenge faster Ghost and Psychic types
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Shadow Ball vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 206-246 (70.7 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Psyshock vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 191-225 (65.6 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• +3 0 SpA Espathra Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 56 HP / 164 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 195-231 (67 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• +3 0 SpA Espathra Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 462-546 (90.2 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
  • 4 Atk Iron Hands Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 200 Def Espathra: 124-147 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 85.4% chance to 3HKO

• +3 0 SpA Espathra Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Assault Vest Okidogi: 816-960 (214.7 - 252.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 4 Atk Iron Hands Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 104-123 (24.1 - 28.5%) -- 97.9% chance to 4HKO
  • 0 Atk Okidogi Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 144-171 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

• 4 Atk Iron Hands Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 116-140 (38.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

• 4 Atk Iron Hands Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 146-174 (43.8 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
  • 0 Atk Okidogi Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 102-121 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

• 192+ Atk Sharpness Gallade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Archaludon: 282-332 (73.4 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 4 Atk Iron Hands Drain Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 200+ Def Archaludon: 92-110 (23.9 - 28.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 0 Atk Okidogi Drain Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 200+ Def Archaludon: 84-102 (21.8 - 26.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

• 4 Atk Iron Hands Thunder Punch vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 66-78 (19.7 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO
  • 0 Atk Okidogi Drain Punch vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 30-36 (8.9 - 10.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Last edited:
"Disagree. While I see the case for gallade to get a rise, A is way too high imo. There are way better mons on fighting that can take advantage of avest, and some of the points you've mentioned above are better fulfilled with the other avest candidates, such as Okidogi and Iron Hands."
most of the time you already running iron hands on fighting alongside okidogi, okidogi brings a different strat to the team with bulk drain. av gallade is an insane tool to have on the team as shown by the calcs mauby has provided. i would'nt be so quick to judge, av gallade has gotten me out of some really intense situations and won the game countless times. I would definitely put gallade at a tier

I have been laddering a bit more lately so some nomination from me :]

Bug
--> A
Araquanid is the best sticky webs user in the type rn. Add to that a resistance to fire attacks due to ability, and immunity to burns u have the complete package. Frosmoth is a one trick mon (except specs sets I have seen lately), but its Ice stab is more valuable in this ground/flying/dragon dominated meta, so it goes up.

--> B
Slither usage dropped, its fighting stab being less spammable cause the lot of ghost in teams (zoro-hisui, sableye, gholdengo, etc) so it needs fight for a spot with Lokix for the First Impression attacker if anything.

Dragon
--> S
--> A
--> A
Archaludon is the backbone of dragon rn, takes care of a lot of threats that could dismantle dragon archetype and 1 of the reasons dragon is a top type rn. Latios luster purge buff + ground immunity + speed and power put it like a strong choice in dragon teams rn. Kyurem, while not being that oppresive as Bax, is still a good replacement. Sure it cant run specs and heavy duty boots at the same time but its Ice stab is perfect in this meta (plus people still need to remember its old infamous sub pressure set)

--> unranked
C rank ???

Grass
--> S
Put both S, only reason to run grass rn lol

Ground
--> S
Sand or sandless, you are not running a ground team without this bro, like it offers so much to grounds: a strong special attacker, a fight resistance, a ground immunity, speed over 100 that sometimes comes in clutch, lot of coverage (psychic if u want rekt fighting teams, sludge bomb for grass, rock slide to annoy bugs). Yeah you get it, put it on S.

Poison
--> A
Sneasler finished being the everyone favorite fighting type on poison, speed mattered I guess, also dire claw sleep shenanigans sometimes help too.

-> B
See sneasler.

Edit: added kyurem

Last edited:

D --> C (Bug)
Vivillon is a really reliable sleeper, which Bug greatly benefits from, as it can force a switch, letting you set up a Quiver Dance or Substitute with Vivillon. Compound Eyes boosting the accuracy of Sleep Powder (goes from 75% to 97.5%) and Hurricane (goes from 70% to 91%), helps it set up as a support lead or a setup sweeper. You can run Bug Buzz, Tera Blast, Giga Drain, Air Slash, or Psychic. Giga Drain is pretty helpful for recovery, Tera Blast can lead to some good ohko opportunities, Bug Buzz is a pretty good STAB option, Air Slash is a good Flinch move that benefits from STAB and Compound Eyes, and Psychic has the chance to lower the opponent's SpDef. With it getting Tailwind, it is also an incredible Suicide Lead, being able to both use Tailwind and use Sleep Powder.

Here's some calcs for the math inclined:
Vs. Ogerpon-Cornerstone Swords Dance (Grass/Rock):
+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Cornerstone: 237-280 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Cornerstone: 390-458 (129.5 - 152.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Vs. Specs Flutter Mane (Fairy):
+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flutter Mane: 178-210 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Tera Ghost Vivillon Tera Blast (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flutter Mane: 258-306 (102.7 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Vs. Physically Defensive Archaludon (for Mono Steel):
+1 252+ SpA Tera Ground Vivillon Tera Blast (80 BP) vs. 200 HP / 44 SpD Archaludon: 446-528 (120.2 - 142.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Tera Fire Vivillon Tera Blast (80 BP) vs. 200 HP / 44 SpD Archaludon: 223-264 (60.1 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Vs. Scarf Iron Boulder (Psychic):
+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Boulder: 354-416 (110.2 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Boulder: 107-126 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Vs. Ice/Grass Abomasnow:
+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow with an ally's Aurora Veil: 213-252 (55.6 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow with an ally's Aurora Veil: 261-307 (68.1 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Few quick ground noms, couple are echoing what some others have said before too.

:Landorus: --> S This is an easy S rank, almost as much of a mandatory bring as :Clodsire: in my eyes. Lando is ground's best combination of speed/power/support and it fits easy on whatever team style you choose. LO sets can demolish common walls for teammates with or without NP. Psychic and Sludge Wave make the fighting and fairy match-ups much easier respectively. Otherwise these can be rough despite the neutral type match-up. Scarf sets are good forms of speed control with access to U-Turn and it's one of a small handful of ground mons that has over 100 speed. Gravity ruins many would-be checks/counters and lets teammates spam Earthquake freely. Ground/Flying typing is also useful defensively because many of its teammates are weak to common ground or fighting moves. Honestly not bringing this thing is a significant handicap and it is bordering on throwing.

:Excadrill: --> S Not as crucial as Clod or Lando but still should be S. Band sand has proven itself as the dominant strategy and for good reason. This is ground's best + most consistent sweeper and everyone knows how threatening it is. Ground is a very slow type and can be exploited by many fast threats, with no mons hitting 110 speed, besides Sand Rush Drill. Jolly Drill in sand outspeeds the entire meta except 135+ scarfers. Those are pretty rare generally and the only one that can kill Drill before dying is Pao with Sacred Sword. Provides valuable roll compression with Rapid Spin as well so you can justify not using one of the elephants. I've also noticed people starting to experiment with SD + spin sets. Ground/Steel typing comes in handy defensively with the obvious steel benefits to tank some psychic attacks aimed at Clod and another grass/ice neutrality in a pinch. It's more weather dependent of course but Drill is such a strong wincon and form of speed control that I think S is deserved.

:Quagsire: --> B If you choose to run sandless then this guy is the best option for a sturdy physical wall that has good recovery, should be B rank. Quag has some notable other advantages too over mons like Gliscor and Ting-Lu and I don't think there should be this much of a disparity between them. Unaware stops set up sweepers in their tracks, other than Hearthflame, which is something that even the other walls ground has can struggle with. Can deal with things like SD Pao, barring no crash flinches, which other ground walls get completely cooked by. Water/Ground is good for another water/ice neutrality and it doesn't overlap the nasty ice weakness with Lando like Gliscor does. Also allows for freeing up some of Clod's moveslots since they both have access to toxic/rocks/spikes/t-spikes/haze, etc. Hippo existing and the really bad Ogerpon match-up keep it from being better but B rank is accurate.

:Sandy Shocks: --> C/B Shocks is one of only 3 strong special attackers that ground has access to and that by itself is a big perk. Also one of the few ground mons that is somewhat fast which will always be valuable. Electric STAB and a strong pivoting move is very helpful generally and especially for bad type match-ups like water and flying. Has access to great support options like rocks/spikes, screens, and even gravity to free up a moveslot for Lando. It's not super popular anymore but Shocks has use cases that other mons can't fulfill with electric STAB and good support options. It doesn't belong among mons like Torterra which is trash, Ursa which doesn't have a use case really, or match-up fishes like Trapinch. Should be B rank because of the options it provides but C is fine because it's not used as much as it was previously.

:Swampert: --> C Feel less strongly about this one but thought I'd mention it. The best slow pivot that ground has access to which makes for a good momentum option on sand teams. Sand otherwise relies on Hippos eject button or potential fast pivoting moves from things like Lando. Pert has decent water STAB, a good utility movepool and defensive typing (except for Ogerpon) as well so I can see C rank. Was used successfully in a tournament recently too. Understand if it doesn't move but I think it's noticeably better than the others with the exception of Shocks. The other D ranks are pretty terrible or useless and it has a role on the most popular type of ground team at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 2)