SM OU MISTA STEELA GIRL [PEAK 1940 ELO]

vesper

d u k e v e s p e r
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I am dedicating my first RMT to something I built a few weeks back to help me recover from tilt. It utilizes physically offensive misty seed celesteela, while also maintaining the foundations of a solid balance core. This team has had success in both ladder and tour, with the receipts behind this being my friend winning his Snake Draft game with it, as well as it peaking 1940+ on ladder.

Here is a more thorough run-down of my team, as well as my building process

Building Process
I knew I wanted to utilize the core of misty seed steela + tapu fini. I decided to go the route of a regular balance team to help support this, as well as disguise the fact that my celesteela was offensive. I knew I wanted hazards on this team to aid steela in sweeping, as well as breaking through balance teams. Greninja is there to spikestack, and heatran is my rocker. Their reasoning will be below in their descriptions. I wanted to further revolve this team around steela sweeping, so I decided on z-thunder lati to lure other steelas. While I wanted a more offensive mega like Medicham, Venusaur was absolutely necessary so I didn't get 6-0ed by Koko.

THE GOONS

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 4 SpA / 156 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur is the go-to electric sponge of the team. Its only competition among the type are ones who can use Flynium Z effectively, like Thundurus and Tapu Koko. The set is the standard spread which allows it to always live two dark pulses from Ash-Gren from full. Leech seed allows you to chip down Heatran on switch, as well as gaining massive amounts of health back from Chansey to prevent wasting synthesis PP.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Heatran is this team's rock setter because its solid matchup vs both stall and balance is necessary on a team that lacks high breaking capacity. It also prevents SD Scizor from sweeping, as well as trapping Tapu Fini and physically defensive Toxapex. Toxic is necessary because you can toxic bulky walls like Hippowdon, Mantine, and Gastrodon, which would otherwise prevent Celesteela to sweep if they were non-toxiced. Firium-Z + SpAtk EVS can be ran to help the stall matchup, as you can magma + inferno overdrive Mega Sableye.

Latios @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Latios is the lure of the team, as well a better counter to z-stab CM Keldeo. I'd run thunderbolt, but it's absolutely pissweak. Z-Thunder's main purpose is to lure steela, but it serves as a good midground too (yay para chance). For example, thunder + gigavolt havoc combo is able to KO most Mega Scizor variants after rocks. Lele can't switch in unless they want to take 70

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump

Nothin special here. blablabla set up spikes in order for steela to win, break through shit like pex, etc This was the most offensive spike stacker available so I wasn't left vulnerable to opposing balance teams. This mon is broken and can sweep on its own, or at least get up a spike vs its counters. It especially helps vs Tyranitar because of this team's lack of resists.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

Fini's main purpose is just to set up the terrain for steela, as well as clearing up a 4th move for latios by defogging. Max defense is really nice because you don't really check mons like zygarde, lop, and medi otherwise. Because of the aforementioned mons, I ultimately decided moonblast > scald. Fini is also really good stall utility as long as you keep leftovers the entire game, and not let it get knocked off vs sab turn 1. Setting up the terrain to avoid burns and poison from toxapex is nice for greninja to come in and spam dark pulse. Keep this around for the whole game until you're ready to sweep with steela, as base 55 acrobatics does jackshit.

nate's brother (Celesteela) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Autotomize

The focal point of the team. After eating the misty seed, this mon gets two stabs with base 100+, as well as a spdef boost. This makes it extremely hard to kill, as well as reciprocating with large damage. tbh not too sure what the spread is other than the extra bulk while still being able to outspeed lop and mane. Earthquake is a better option than fire blast, as you're able to OHKO pex and tran. Steela and Skarmory are both lured by Lati, and ferro is worn down by spikes + acrobatics.

Threatlist:

switchins = glhf
decent pivots into lati + hazards should do the trick, but it's frustrating to get predicted
switchins are hard if venu isn't already mega, so hope that you win the tie if your lati is in
y is pretty easy to handle as long as it's not partnered with a pursuit trapper, but x can 6-0 you if you don't play your fini well

Shoutouts:
Always! - Alhamdulillah my brother. I love our countless hours of laddering with this team

ez - somehow good enough to win a game with this team in a tour, as well as bein my brawlhalla buddy and one of my best friends on here

JayStaice - GOAT and my personal favorite person I've met on this godforsaken site. TOP SECRET LOGS ON HOW THIS TITLE CAME TO BE

dream light - ur younger brother never ceases to fail.. little nate rules!!!!

False. - 0-5 BEAST

Googly, blarghlfarghl, & Nui - love u cuties

urban - gave me this sick steela set, had fun teaming with ya this POCL

Conclusion: 0-1 US CENTRAL SUPERSTAR SIGNING OUT​

Last edited:
Vesper! <3

Love the team man. Props on the success you and others have had with it! It's an excellent showcase of FWG/DFS team builds.

Along with the others on your threatlist, Chansey looks like it would also be a rather large headache for this team, but with taunt fini and leech seed venu, you may be able to eventually wear it down I suppose. And I feel like you have to really take care of that venusaur against opposing tapu kokos. But overall, I don't see anything that just wins against your squad.

What's up with Heatran's EVs though? Is the speed just used to ensure you get rocks up?

This is really cool team you have here dude. I noticed a big threat to setup sweepers in this team, specifically volcarona. Volcarona can sweep your team by using venusaur and Tapu Fini as set up fodder, with the ability to ohko everything on your team after a boost after Tapu Fini gets worn down.
To fix this, I would change latio’s set to choice scarf. This gives you a form of speed control. Use psysho more, as it targets physical defense, making it easier to revenge kill volcarona. This also improves your Zard X matchup.
Other than that, I think this is a great team. See you! And have a good night!

vesper

d u k e v e s p e r
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Vesper! <3

Love the team man. Props on the success you and others have had with it! It's an excellent showcase of FWG/DFS team builds.

Along with the others on your threatlist, Chansey looks like it would also be a rather large headache for this team, but with taunt fini and leech seed venu, you may be able to eventually wear it down I suppose. And I feel like you have to really take care of that venusaur against opposing tapu kokos. But overall, I don't see anything that just wins against your squad.

What's up with Heatran's EVs though? Is the speed just used to ensure you get rocks up?
I am noob and just click suggested spread :( I do like the speed to tie with other trans and being able to outspeed all variants of m-sciz. Also setting up rocks or trading a storm with defensive lando is nice so you celesteela doesn't have to come in and constantly take 12% chip. Thanks for your insight! I definitely need something to help against the stall matchup, whether that might be firium tran or maybe knock off on venu.

I am noob and just click suggested spread :( I do like the speed to tie with other trans and being able to outspeed all variants of m-sciz. Also setting up rocks or trading a storm with defensive lando is nice so you celesteela doesn't have to come in and constantly take 12% chip. Thanks for your insight! I definitely need something to help against the stall matchup, whether that might be firium tran or maybe knock off on venu.
Max speed is fine on heatran. Though heatran isn’t that fast, it really needs the ability to outspeed Magnezone, Defensive Lando, magearna, and others. It’s far more useful than a slower spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)