My Attempt At An OU Team

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, everyone. This is my first post, so don't expect too much outta me.

So to put it simply, this is an offensive team. I don't mind putting in some defense if people think it's needed, but I want this team to be as offensive as possible. I've also tried building this team so it's not too centralized on one pokemon. Instead, every pokemon on this team can potentially pull a sweep, given the right conditions. But lately, I've been having trouble with certain pokemon, such as Calm Mind Latias, Sableye, Venusaur, And Jirachi. So yeah, here's the team layout.

(Scizor) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Scizor has always been a team player, using U-Turn to almost always gain momentum, Superpower to nail Ferrothorn where it hurts, Bullet Punch to bypass low speed, and Swords Dance for boosting when needed. Adamant nature is to have as much power as possible. The EVs are unique in the sense that, provided no prior damage is inflicted, it prevents her from being 2HKOd by Timid Choice Specs Latios' Draco Meteor, but I've noticed that in exchange, I can't OHKO a healthy 4/0 Latios with Bullet Punch at +2, so that can be a drag. Leftovers are there for recovery, and it's saved me quite a few times. She's really good at taking out Ice types that harass Salamence, like Weavile and Mamoswine, but they can both dent her with the appropriate move. Though fire types and sun teams really hinder her performance. Also burns are a serious issue. Heatran especially is a threat, 4x resisting my stabs, and can easily outspeed and OHKO me before I can even get off a Superpower. Rotom-W can come in and burn, and Forretress and Skarmory can set up hazards with no worries.

(Mamoswine) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

This guy is my main lead. With Focus Sash, he's almost guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock, unless he's taunted. Thick Fat removes his fire weakness and gives him a pseudo resistance to ice. EVs are straightforward, maxing out attack and speed. Earthquake is the staple attacking move, as it deals great consistent damage and takes out fire and steel types for Scizor and Breloom. Icicle Crash is another good move, as it can deal major damage to most Grass types wanting to switch in, and can even 2HKO 252/252+ Dragonite, also the chance for flinch is pretty nifty. Ice Shard is to get the jump on most other dragons, like Salamence and Latios, and most pokemon in general. He struggles against Rotom-W because it can burn him, and also takes Ice/Ground coverage very well. Ferrothorn and Forretress can wall me all day and set up hazards. Cloyster can be a big problem because it can live an Earthquake and takes nothing from Ice Shard, and it can set up with Shell Smash, and can even break through my Focus Sash with Icicle Spear or Rock Blast. Sun teams especially can be a problem, with Venusaur, Air Balloon Heatran, Sableye, and Ninetales waiting to either burn or obliterate me.

(Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd/ 0 Atk IVs
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is the spinner of the team, saving Salamence from Stealth Rock damage and preserving my team mates' Focus Sashes for later use. Evs are again simple, maxing out speed and special attack, with no Attack IVs to recieve minimal confusion and Foul Play damage. Natural Cure means it's not such a big deal if I switch in on Toxic Spikes, and removes the stress of getting paralyzed or burnt. Expert Belt is for an extra boost in power. Surf is the main stab, dealing consistent damage. Thunderbolt takes out Flying and opposing Water types rather well. Ice Beam can make dragon and grass types think twice before switching. The main flaw, though, is a lack of significant power. Jellicent can avoid the 2HKO from Thunderbolt, Recover the damage off, and Toxic stall me. Gastrodon is on the same boat, but Starmie can't even hit it super effectively, and it can power up if it switches in on Surf. Also Jolteon can outrun and OHKO me with Thundrbolt, or take advantage of a predicted switch with Volt Switch. Specially Defensive Celebi can suck up Ice Beams and Recover off the damage, and can severely damage or even OHKO with Giga Drain. I've tried a Defensive Starmie before, but it just didn't work out for me.

(Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance

My secondary lead, putting key threats to sleep. EVs are ye again straightforward, maxing Attack and Speed, with Jolly nature keeping up with fellow base 70 speed pokemon. Focus Sash really helps this cause, as it lets me live a move and put a foe to sleep with Spore, allowing him, or other pokemon like Salamence and Scizor, to set up for free. Technician boosts Mach Punch and Bullet Seed, the prior used for taking out Tyranitar and Weavile, and the latter for Politoed and Hippowdon. Swords Dance is for boosting his already great attack to insane levels. However, most any flying type can wall him all day and easily KO in return or even set up, such as Bulky Intimidate Gyarados, Skarmory, Thunderus-T, Dragonite, Salamence, and more. Also, Celebi is like Kryptonite to this guy, resisting his stabs, can KO with Psychic, and can just switch out with Natural Cure to get rid of sleep, or even use Heal Bell to remove sleep from a team mate. Also Ninetales is a major threat, easily KOing Breloom with Flamethrower. Jirachi can shrug off stabs and can outspeed and paralyze, flinch, or even flat out KO me.

(Salamence) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Salamence can potentially sweep entire teams on his own with little support needed, and can clear the path for team mates with just pure might. Moxie especially makes him a dangerous sweeper, as death fodder is no longer an option against him. Lum Berry is to avoid getting a burn or paralysis and can set up a free Dragon Dance. Max Attack and Speed EVs. Naive nature to max speed while not hindering Special Attack. Dragon Claw because I don't like being locked into Outrage, and it deals consistent damage. Dragon Dance is what makes him a monster, outrunning quite a few scarfers after a boost, and I sometimes find myself only needing to use it once because of Moxie. Earthquake because I need to hit Steel, Rock and certain fire types like Heatran. Flamethrower to hit airborne steels, like Skarmory and Bronzong, and hitting steels neutral to Earthquake, like Scizor and Ferrothorn. I dislike Fire Blast's accuracy, so that's why I run Flamethrower. Mamoswine and Weavile are major threats, KOing me easily with Ice type moves, with the latter outrunning me. Starmie is on the same boat, just without stab. The Laits are also an ever looming threat, as are any dragons with a Choice Scarf. Stealth Rock is also a critical hinderance, as I lose a lot of respectable bulk for every switch.

(Alakazam) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd/ 0 Atk IVs
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Disable

This is a set that a lot of people don't expect, as it can usually shut down a lot of threats, frequently providing a safe switch for team mates. Leftovers is to constantly make subs and make up for lack of good bulk. Magic Guard make getting poisoned or burnt a luxury, helping him avoiding paralysis, and also immunity to field hazards and weather is pretty sweet. Max Speed and Special Attack, you know the drill, with no Attack IVs for minimal confusion and Foul Play damage. Timid to outrun Starmie and at worst tie with Dugtrio. Psyshock to hit Blissey and Chansey really hard, but sadly miss out on the 2HKO. Shadow Ball to hit opposing psychic types for solid damage. Substitute to set up an opportunity to stall a bit and use Disable. Speaking of which, Disable is a great move, preventing pokemon from healing and using specific moves, like removing Latios' Dragon type move for Salamence, or stopping Blissey from recovering or blocking Seismic Toss or Flamethrower so Scizor or Breloom can set up for free and have a field day. But Alakazam is generally stopped by just about anything that can avoid a 2HKO and hit hard. Jirachi can paralyse me and proceed to Iron Head away. Tyranitar and Wavile especially are serious threats, as they can easily KO with Pursuit. I could remove Shadow Ball and instead use Focus Blast, but I'm iffy on low accuracy moves. Also, the Latis, Celebi, and even Gliscor would be able to wall me all day, healing off all damage and setting up.

Again, this was my first RMT, so I hope I did okay.

Hi Valmanway, interesting team you have, but I do see a few things that could be done to improve its performance:

Firstly I have a few nitpicks with your sets. For Scizor I recommend changing its held item to a Life Orb over the Leftovers you currently have also I think that running Bug Bite over U-Turn would be beneficial so you aren't throwing away your +2 every time you have to hit a Psychic. Changing the EV spread to 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe would help it as well. Another thing, I do not think that the Focus Sash is the best item for Mamoswine, especially since you are not running the Endeavor+Ice Shard combo. So, I would advise either fitting Endeavor into your moves, or giving Mamo the Life Orb to power up its attacks. If you decide to use the Life Orb, it would be good to run Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash to better hit opposing Breloom. Lastly, I think it would be a good idea to try Analytic over Natural Cure on your Starmie to maximize its damage output against Scarfers and the like.

Secondly, I see a pretty big weakness to both Sun and Rain on your team so I will advise you use a CB Dragonite over your Salamence. Dragonite's bulk in Multiscale helps it make use of the multitude of resistances that its Dragon / Flying typing gives it. Also it has the use of priority in Extremespeed to outpace the Chlorophyll sweepers that would otherwise run rampant through your team.

Another thing I see being a challenge for your team is Scizor, especially the SD varient, especially if it gets a turn to set up. This is even more of an issue when you replace Salamence with Dragonite who is OHKO'd by a +2 Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock damage. That same +2 Bullet Punch can tear holes in your team. To deal with this issue I would recommend the use of Scarf Jirachi over Alakazam. For this, Fire Punch is a must. With it, Jirachi effectively outspeed the Scizor and OHKO with Fire Punch. It can be switched in easily on a +2 Bullet Punch and KO the next turn.

Changes:
Choice Band Dragonite

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Outrage
-Extremespeed
-Fire Punch / Waterfall
-Earthquake

Scarf Jirachi

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Iron Head
-Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
-Trick / Healing Wish

Scizor:

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe > 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SDef
Life Orb > Leftovers

Mamoswine:

Add Endeavor to moveset and use Icicle Spear > Icicle Crash
or
Life Orb > Focus Sash

Starmie:

Analytic > Natural Cure

Well, that is my two cents on the matter, I hope my suggestions help! Good luck with your team!

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These changes seem pretty good. I'm a little mixed on Analytic over Natural Cure for Starmie and Life Orb over Leftovers for Scizor, but the rest of your suggestions look great! Thanks for the help! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)