My First Competitive Team

Hi all, I've recently decided to start playing competitively and I've been trying to work out a good team. In game I'm currently in the breeding stages but I've gone on Pokemonshowdown to do some test runs. I've played probably a little over 30, maybe 35 games and I've been winning almost all of them. But that could be because I'm in the lower part of the ladder. Anyways, here's my team.

Hawlucha @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- U-Turn
- Poison Jab

Okay so here we've got my lead pokemon, Hawlucha. I find him to be extremely safe to start with because of his speed and raw damage. With a liechi berry put with the ability unburden, he becomes stupid strong quickly. Add that with his STAB's and he can OHKO anything that doesn't resist him or has real high defense. With poison jab he can shut down most fairies bar mawile and klefki for being part steel. But if he gets a matchup he doesn't like, he has the speed to U-Turn out. Being fighting and flying is really useful as he can switch into SR and not take too much damage. Overall I think Hawlucha's ability as a physical sweeper is a must keep in my team.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Hp
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

Next we've got the ninja frog, Greninja. Just by looking you can tell he's the physical sweeper of my team. Thanks to protean by predicting moves I can take little to no damage. He makes quick work of anything that doesn't resist him. I don't think I have to say much about him as he's using a pretty standard set and it just works for him. He also covers Hawlucha's psychic weakness allowing for a safe switch-in if needed. Speaking of covering weaknesses-

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Overheat

The third beast on my team, Rotom-Heat. These 3 pokemon together cover many of each others weaknesses. Most of the time I can switch to one of these to receive minimum damage and even strike back the next turn. So here I've used a more defensive build for him, allowing him to almost always get a Will-O-Wisp off and a confuse ray if the pokemon was a switch-in. This version of Rotom also works as a great check(I think check is the correct term) to many pokemon such as Talonflame, Ferrothorn and the likes. Many of the times I find my other pokemon unable to deal with a tanky pokemon or if I'm afraid they'll OHKO mine, I send this guy in can usually force a switch. And the one that forces the most switches on my team?

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Standard Ferrothorn set, and annoying as always. My SR set up and staller, Ferrothorn fights right into my team and is the only way I get my pokemon to heal(bad I know lol). Crippling fast pokemon with Thunder wave and proceeding to set up is guaranteed within the first few turns when they try to set up in front of me. Also makes Azumarill rethink bellydrumming in front of me as I will power whip her into the pokemon center. Being immune to poison and resisting SR and taking neutral EQ's, this plant gets its job done.

Nidoking (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Rash Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

When the opposing team is finally crippled, that's when this monster comes out. That's right, I use Nidoking; the bane of fairies. I send this steroid barney out when I feel he can deal some heavy damage to the rest of the opposing team. I run sucker punch on him as its useful for finishing off weakened psychics, maybe even OHKOing full HP ones. He's mainly here for predicting switch-ins. I always put him up when he can be sure to kill the enemy. If they stay in, he tanks a hit thanks to assault vest and investments into his HP and then proceeds to remove them from the game. If they switch and I predict it, I can get off a super effective hit or neutral hit for free, and finish them off with sucker punch.

Cloyster (F) @ King's Rock
Ability: Kings Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast

And last but not least, my rapid spinner. Although people prefer a shell smash set I enjoy this one just a little bit more. I gave him kings rock because who doesn't love the chance to priority flinch. Also my substitute breaker and works wonders against teams running ninjask, or any pokemon that try to set up behind subs for that matter. Rock blast for just a little coverage and is pretty strong with skill link. With Nidoking on my team I don't fear electric type users, allowing for safe switches and predictions.

And that's all, please RMT. Thanks :)

Now, I'm writing as I'm reading, so if I say something stupid, you know why.

Hawlucha: Ever heard of Mega Gengar? Acrobatics does nothing to it. Mega Gengar's Shadow Balls and Thunderbolts are easy dooms for Hawlucha. Gar also usually carries Speed EVs, so it's already faster than Hawlucha. Better coverage would be nice.

Greninja: A Physical sweeper with all special moves...? Eh well. Hidden Power Fire doesn't be there if Ice Beam is. Most sets are exactly like that in that case, so #YouPredictedWrongAndNowYoureDead

Rotom-H: I'm not commenting. Get yourself a Rotom-W.

Ferrothorn: Ok, just Spikes > T-Wave

Nidoking: Scizor is the bane of all Fairies. And why are you running a SpD set anyways? Why you no have Life Orb? Also, no Poison moves, so it's not the bane of da Fairies

Cloyster: Get this fudging lame excuse for a Rapid Spinner away. Starmie does better. Cloyster is better as a Sweeper. Just... No.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)