My first real OU Team.

So I finally decided to a) make an OU team and b) try out the RMT for some advice since teambuilding was still never my strong suit.

Anyway, I'll jump right into the team:

upload_2013-9-5_11-25-41.png

Politoed @ Leftovers

Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 Hp, 252 Def, 8 Spd
Nature: Bold
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep talk
- Encore.

Politoed is here mainly for weather. From what I have seen, going into OU without weather is like trying to run the 100m without a leg. Sun and sand are so threatening and the rain is simply there just to eliminate other weather. The set and EVs came from a BlameTruth vid. I've found it has helped me keep Politoed around longer just to eliminate opposing weather. Encore really helps when people try to set up on you. Perish song does that too i know, but it kinda wouldn't work with rest talk.

upload_2013-9-5_11-37-26.png

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 Hp, 252 Atk, 136 SpDef
Nature: Adamant
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
- Ice Punch

In all honesty, the more I thought about it, I put Conkeldurr on this team mainly because I have this mentality that you absolutely need a fighting type. Meant to be the teams late game sweeper. What else would I have to kill Blissey? Plus the bulk that it has both naturally and after a Bulk Up is what appealed to me the most.

upload_2013-9-5_11-42-34.png

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U turn
- Trick

I mainly picked Celebi for my scarfer because of its access to U-Turn. Which l love on my scarfers. But what made me choose it over Jirachi was grass STAB. Gastrodon would have been quite problematic for the team without it. I know Smogon says either U-Turn or Trick, but I really have had situations where u turn has made my life so much easier (when used sparingly, and not spammed), and Trick has saved me from things like Reuniclus setting up on me and crippled defensive things that were bugging me.

upload_2013-9-5_11-50-46.png

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Nature: Calm
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Rapid Spin

One of the only things on this team which uses the rain. A really solid special wall, and rapid spinner. While my team isn't really weak to the rocks, its always nice. Also, the teams only real wall to keldeo.

upload_2013-9-5_11-53-17.png

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

This thing has single handedly broken teams for me. Gliscor has always been a problem for me. Even though Conkeldurr has Ice Punch, the fact that its slower than Gliscor means that it can still be stalled out. I choose Icicle Spear over Crash to make dealing with Sub-Gliscor less problematic. Though I admit that I do miss the power of Icicle Crash at times. As much as it pains me to stick Stealth Rock on such a powerful Pokemon which could only benefit from more coverage, there is nothing else on the team that can really have it. And its my almost 100% reliable dragon check.

upload_2013-9-5_11-58-19.png

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Timid
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The only thing that uses the rain offensively. Here to trap those infamous steel types to make life easier for the rest of the team and minimize the amount of hazards that are set up. And since this is my only steel type, I have been thinking for the longest time to drop some speed in favour of more HP, to maybe give myself more of a chance against those damn dragons if Mamoswine is gone.

Problems that I have noticed
I suppose this problem is universal to all teams, but Terrakion is a problem. Because the only real resist I have to CC is my offensive scarfer and a special wall with lackluster defence, I'm forced to leave in so many things to die. And hopefully scare it out with Conkeldurr. To a lesser extent, dragons are in the same boat, but Mamoswine acts as an almost perfect check/counter. Haxorus though if its banded or has a DD up is the biggest problem. But I suppose those are problems for anyone if threats get set up, and that can be rectified with practice and changing playstyles.

In Conclusion
This team has been quite sucessful overall for me (I think at peak, its helped me get to 1800s on Showdown). But still, it never hurts to get a second opinion to make things better. Thanks for reading all the way (if you did).

Last edited:
Welcome to Smogon, and that is a pretty good team for a first try.

I'm just going to go over each poke individually, so bear with me. :)

Teams don't NEED weather although it is a large part of the metagame. However, you do have 3 fire weaknesses, so rain definitely helps. RestTalk hasn't been a viable strategy since 4th gen, so replace RestTalk with Toxic and Protect.

I've never personally used Conkeldurr, although it has swept me in the past. :( The set looks pretty good.

You need HP Ice, preferably over Trick, or else Hydreigon walls you and destroys you with Dark STAB, plus it is generally handy for Dragons, Gliscor, and Landorus.

Use Giga Drain or Ice Beam over Protect as Protect on Toed is enough protection honestly. :p

You could use Focus Sash, although the power drop is somewhat noticable.

I love Magnezone, although I usually use Scarf rather than Specs, as Magnezone has to many common weaknesses. With a Scarf, he becomes an effective revenge killer, with surprising speed. He outspeeds Garchomps. Gar. Chomps. You could try HP Ice over HP Fire, although Mamoswine already has that coverage.

Overall, it is a decent team. I really hope you will try out my suggestions, and I think they will turn this into an effective OU team. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)