My OU sun team.

Hey guys.. I am very new to this site. This is my first RMT and i am not tech savy so until i learn how, pictures of my pokemon will not be here. I have no idea how to work my way around this site so bare with me. I have however read and studied many of smogons RMT's if that counts for anything... anyways moving on to the team.

So team after team something that has always been a team weakness has been Politoed. I could never actually find away to get around those dreaded rain teams so I decided to make a team that benefits from while simultaneously smashing rain teams.

Team at a quick glance
Ninetales- Snorlax- Starmie- Raikou- Landorus-T- Infernape
The team obviously started with Ninetales, as she can summon permanent sun and has some utility with safegaurd and will-o-wisp. I decided to use a significantly altered version of Smogon's defensive Ninetales as seen below.

Ninetales. 252 hp, 220 def, 36 spe. with a Bold nature. @wide lens
Drought
-Overheat
-Safeguard
-will-o-wisp
-power swap

Now many of you may look at her item and question my competetive viability but i assure you this ninetales set is as it is for reason. Too many times has a will-o-wisp miss turned good prediction into bad luck. ie a tyranitar switches in and rather than being burned it safely switches and now i have to switch my ninetales out hoping i send the right poke in to take tyranitars hit. Overheat and power swap are self explanitory and can net me some nice momentum change in certain situaions. Safeguard is because status runs rampent in the current OU metagame and i have no cleric. It has saved me a few times from thunderwave when i switch in infernape on the omnipresent ferrothorn as well. the ev spread is derived from the standard defensive ninetales on smogon.

After i had ninetales I decided since she would be running defensive evs and my team would be looking to counter the specially based powerhouses found on rain teams (not to mention the myriad of strong psychic types) I decided on Snorlax. Although the metagame has transformed into a fighting type dominant environment snorlax is still a versatile threat.

Snorlax. 252 SpD, 252 Atk, 4 Def. With an adamant nature. @Choice Band
Thick Fat
-return
-pursuit
-fire punch
-earthquake

Snorlax is a beast. It can tank Latios' specs draco meteor, a feat not many can boast without a resistance to it, and it can also score a surprising amount of KO's with its stab and coverage moves. Return is an obvious choice which can OHKO Latios on the switch as well as Thundurus-T, 2HKO tentacruel and do just a massive amount of damage to non-resists. Pursuit can help with politoed although i more often than not just go for the return, but its real time to shine is against frail and not so frail psychic and ghost types. it is in charge of dealing with celebi in rain and out of rain, latios if i switch into it, gengar, alakazam, latias, and a few other less prevalent threats. Fire punch murders anything weak to it thanks to the sun boost and earthquake is filler to take down pesky steels that arent weak to fire punch and helps take down the troublesome heatran. The ev spread allows it to be as powerful as possible while maintaining some crazy special bulk.

Okay so now i have my weather setter and my special tank and sun threat counter. I was stuck for a little on where to go and then i realized that both of these pokemon are extremely vulnerable to hazards so i decided i needed a spinner or magic bouncer. I tried espeon for a while but it did little for the team and requires too much prediction so I went with Starmie. Starmie can rip holes in opposing teams as well as spin away the hazardous hazards with eaze since it forces so many switches. And since snorlax takes care of most spinblockers it doesnt require too much extra support.

Starmie- 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 SpD. With a Timid Nature. @ life orb
Analytic (may change to natural cure)
-surf (may change to hydro pump to get 2HKO on jirachi in rain)
-ice beam
-thunder bolt
-rapid spin

This, so far, is the only pokemon where there wasnt an obvious ability to choose. I have chosen analytic due to the switches it causes and its ability to secure more OHKO and 2HKO's against certain pokemon, but my team is status weak so it may be subject to change in order to more effectively help my team. Surf is self explanatory as a strong stab. The bolt-beam combo helps againts threats such as gyarados, tornadus, bulky waters, politoed and dragons, glisgor, thundurus-T and salamence respectively. rapid spin is to spin those dang hazards away. The ev and nature is self explanatory and standard on starmie

After this my team was looking halfway decent. I decided since i have a spinned i should get some hazards of my own. Because its a sun team and it has a more bulky offensive nature to it i decided not to use skarmory, ferrothorn, or forretress but instead i used Landorus-T as an offensive pivot.

Landorus-T. 252 hp, 252 Spe, 4 SpA. With a Mild nature. @Leftovers
Intimidate
-EQ
-U-turn
-Stealth rock
-Hp ice

Eq is standard on this guy and even with out ev investment, coming from a base 145 attack stat, this stab move hurts. Stealth rock is another standard on this guy as an offensive pivot as it helps score otherwise missed OHKO and 2HKO's on certain pokemon with his teammates. U-turn is used as a way to steal momentum. And hp ice is used to kill flyng types and levitators who arent affected by earth quake, especially opposing landorus-t.

Once this guy was added I knew i could have some fun with his hit and run play style so i thought up a nice set for raikou. raikou is one of my favorite pokemon and has everything it needs in one set. Aura sphere to hit steel types, thunder bolt as main stab, volt switch as secondary stab to revenge kill weakened pokemon and steal momentum and finally weather ball which allows raikou to get passed grass types and steel types not weak to aura sphere with sun up, and to net OHKO's against the common ground and rock types if rain is up.

Raikou. 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 hp. With Rash nature. @choice scarf
Pressure
-aura sphere
-thunder bolt
-weather ball
-volt switch

Now this guy is like snoralx... well not really, but they are both beasts. Besides what I explained above, Raikou is used as the main Rain counter and works great in tandom with Landorus-t as landorus-t isnt affected by raikous only weakness and raikou can take out water and ice types that scare away landorus-t. They also work as a nice volt-turn core to help gain back momentum and keep it when im already ahead.

I felt like i had this team pretty set up until i realized that it was too focused on anti metagame rather than stealing boosts from sun. So i decided that i needed a sun sweeper that fit well with this team and the first pokemon to come to mind was infernape.

Infernape. 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD. With jolly nature. @Choice Band
Iron Fist
-close combat
-flare blitz
-mach punch
-u-turn

Infernape is great for this team. It adds to the volt turn aspect, adds the valuable fighting type and works insanely well with raikou as the physical revenge killer. Infernape covers plenty of pokemon that raikou cant regularly get passed. It works as a sun sweeper and is insanely powerful with a choice band. It also works very well as a late game sweeper.

All advice is appreciated!. Advice on the team and how to work my way around this site as well haha. Request if you think more information in a certain area is needed. Thanks so much guys.

Just use this website and copy paste sprites! It really is that easy!
http://pokemondb.net/sprites

Onto the rate!

The first thing that strikes me is that there is no Chlorophyll Sweeper. Chlorophyll Sweepers are one of the main reasons to run Sun Teams at all. Instead of Snorlax, try Venusaur, hands down the greatest Chlorophyll Sweeper in existence:

Venusaur@Life Orb

Chlorophyll
72 Hp 4 Def 252 SpAtk 180 Spd

Growth
Giga Drain
Hidden Power Fire
Sludge Bomb

After a growth boost, this thing becomes the destroyer of worlds. Three moves for good coverage. The Evs are a bit complex, but allow Venusaur to really pack a punch while also taking hits fairly well.

• Other than that, I just have a few minor suggestions. On Ninetales, use Leftovers over Wide Lens, giving Ninetales more survivability.
  • On Starmie, Natural Cure is better than Analytic. Starmie is ruined by paralysis, and any way to work around that is much needed.
  • In Sun, Psyshock is a better STAB move for Starmie than Surf, with the added bonus of taking on Chansey and Blissey much better.
Anyway, hope I helped, and good luck with the team :D

thanks so much. ill definitely try venusaur and change starmies ability and i have surf to help counter jirachi in rain... and its unsafe to pull out landorus due to water and ice weakness... however i will try it for sure! ninetales item switch made and i think ill try EQ over sludge bomb on venusaur

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)