Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderclap

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Congrats to Medasus for winning this slate!

Cycle 39: Darkrai
:sv/darkrai:

Recently being unbanned, Darkrai has made quite the impact on the metagame with its Choice Specs and Nasty Plot sets, along with cheesy Hypnosis sets working just as fine. With all of the possibilities this Pokemon has with its sets, can you build the best team with it?

Submissions end Feburary 18th!

Last edited:
Choice Specs Darkrai Balance

:darkrai: :slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :ferrothorn: :landorus-therian: :kyurem:

:choice-specs: on :darkrai: turns it into a very strong attacker, with Sludge Bomb hitting fairy switch-ins like :diancie-mega: and :clefable:, while Focus Blast hits bulky steel types like :ferrothorn: and :heatran:, as well as :lopunny-mega: for SE. Trick is useful for disrupting pokemon like :chansey:, :alomomola:, :ferrothorn: and Defensive :landorus-therian:, allowing my team to break through fatter teams more easily. Tera Dark amplifies Dark Pulse's power, allowing it to 2HKO :diancie-mega:, :lopunny-mega: and :tapu-koko:, while also providing a slim chance (6.3%) to OHKO :tapu-lele:.

:slowking-galar: provides a sturdy switch-in against Fairy and Fighting type moves alike, from :iron-valiant:, :zamazenta: and :tapu-lele:. It provides the team with both Future Sight (for :landorus-therian: and :lopunny:) and Thunder Wave support, allowing this team to break through both defensive teams, as well as pressure offensive teams more easily. Sludge Bomb is good for damage, especially against certain setup mons like :iron-valiant: and :clefable:. Chilly Reception + Tera Water allows :slowking-galar: to disrupt weather teams, by soaking hits and replacing the weather with Snow, which provides :kyurem: with a defense boost.

:lopunny-mega:, when combined with :darkrai:, can overwhelm common defensive backbones, especially when Trick is used from :darkrai:. It offers pivoting for :darkrai: and :kyurem:, which is good against mons like :dondozo: or :corviknight:. Fake Out gives the team priority too. Normal/Fighting is useful typing, as it offers the team two additional ways of handling Ghost and Dark types, good for :slowking-galar:, who can help pressure :toxapex: with Future Sight support. Frustration is used to prevent :ditto: from copying and using the move.

:ferrothorn: gives the team hazards, which is needed for certain damage thresholds with :darkrai:, a steel type mon to switch into, good for :lopuny-mega: and :darkrai: against Fairy and Psychic types, and leech seed support to heal :landorus-therian:. Tera Fairy is preferred over Tera Ghost to avoid being weak to :tyranitar-mega:'s pursuit, as well as :banette-mega:'s Poltergeist. :ferrothorn: also gives me a good water-type switch in against rain teams.

Gives me another pivoter, a better electric type switch-in, as well as a groud switch-in as well. Can remove hazards with Defog, and with Earthquake, can break through steel types for :darkrai: so he doesn't have to use Focus Miss as often. Toxic forces progress against bulkier teams as well. Not much too say it's just :landorus-therian:. Tera water is used against the rain matchup, as well as against :weavile:.

:kyurem: makes up for the lack of Ice Beam that :darkrai: has, hitting ground types like :landorus-therian: and :great-tusk:. Ice/Ground coverage is unresisted in this metagame (:frosmoth: is not real), which is very good for making progress, with the SubRoost set being able to outstall :chansey: from Seismic Toss, as well as other low PP SE moves like :ferrothorn:'s Gyro Ball. Tera Ground also lets you eat Thunder Waves and use Earth power harder.

wow i wrote a bit too much

For Animemer

Deeez Nuuuts (Deo-D Fat)

:sv/deoxys-defense: :sv/garganacl: :sv/mawile-mega: :sv/alomomola: :sv/darkrai: :sv/gliscor:

Weird thing I bit ago for my dude Animemer.​

:deoxys defense: is there to stack cosmic powers vs teams like rain with only breakers and also vs setup sweepers that garg matches up badly, it has SR for basically only compression (i wasn't giving it to Mmaw).

You know :garganacl:, u know what it does and what it's capable of and you definitely know the amount of pressure it exerts right on the preview.
Tera dragon besides being my favorite tera for :garganacl: is there hide the weakness to :OGERPON-WELLSPRING:.

:mawile-mega: was a mon that I've been meaning to use in my teams for a long time, though :scizor-mega: may have a better movepool and arguably stats for fat structures I chose :mawile-mega: becuase the better Stall (and TR ig) MU, the better typing and yknow 1000+ attack at +2 besides I was planning to add :alomomola: by the time i added :mawile-mega: anyways so I might as well sacrifice longevity a bit for the stupid attack of :mawile-mega:.

:Alomomola: really can do anything. Cancel potencially big mistakes while supporting teammates by giving them chances to take hits again and pivot them in at the same time? :Alomomola: does that.
Sponge both special and physical attacks with relative ease? :Alomomola: does that.
Spread toxic? :Alomomola: does that.
Scout sets while building synergy with your own set? :Alomomola: does that.
Have a mf 1/3 passive recovery by just switching? :Alomomola: does that.

:darkrai: is an amazing specs breaker whose feels like it's true 100% checks is like :blissey: and :chansey:, a good natural speed tier sort of makes up of the lack of speed control and it's psychic immunity helps dealing with :tapu lele: offensively, it also puts pressure on weather teams if its facing the setter and forces the opponent into a dilemma of either sacking/heavily chipping a threat or let their setter die.

:gliscor: brings a good ground and elec immunity and good toxic spreading/defogging capabilities besides the crazy longevity.

Last edited:

Ineros

Checkmate, move along!
is a Pre-Contributor
I May Fall - Darkrai + Bu Corv balance
:Darkrai: :Slowking Galar: :Corviknight: :Gliscor: :Tapu Fini: :Ferrothorn:

I honestly do not care if this team is bad lol I just wanted to participate in this cycle.
Anyway this description will be short. Darkrai is a great breaker with specs and is helped further by fsight and Fini crippling defensive switchins like pex and Glisc with trick. Glowking is the Ival check while also just synergizing nicely with Fini and rai. Bu Corv is the main wincon while also dismantling balance teams. It also checks iron boulder and msciz quite well. Glisc sets spikes pressure which is always nice and is this team’s ground. Fini exists as a check to dark and fighting stuff while also preventing rai/corv from being statused. It also provides speed control and fog, while also crippling stuff like Ferro and Mola. Ferro exists as a Waterpon check while giving knock support to remove boots and more hazard pressure + being a better water resist than Fini.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2058879623-dazactu064w73ihte4nq1nv2myjdp60pw here is a replay (idk if it showcases the team well LOL but here scarf Fini revenges moon and Glisc puts spikes/tox pressure while rai is in the back just ready to break with fsight support)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2061865899 here is another replay and even though I got hit by 8 BLIZZARDS IN A ROW I still won pp stalling those blizzards, making a risky play with Ferro, and threatening basically everything with specs rai with fsight support.

Last edited:

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Voting time!

Team A
Choice Specs Darkrai Balance

:darkrai: :slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :ferrothorn: :landorus-therian: :kyurem:

:choice-specs: on :darkrai: turns it into a very strong attacker, with Sludge Bomb hitting fairy switch-ins like :diancie-mega: and :clefable:, while Focus Blast hits bulky steel types like :ferrothorn: and :heatran:, as well as :lopunny-mega: for SE. Trick is useful for disrupting pokemon like :chansey:, :alomomola:, :ferrothorn: and Defensive :landorus-therian:, allowing my team to break through fatter teams more easily. Tera Dark amplifies Dark Pulse's power, allowing it to 2HKO :diancie-mega:, :lopunny-mega: and :tapu-koko:, while also providing a slim chance (6.3%) to OHKO :tapu-lele:.

:slowking-galar: provides a sturdy switch-in against Fairy and Fighting type moves alike, from :iron-valiant:, :zamazenta: and :tapu-lele:. It provides the team with both Future Sight (for :landorus-therian: and :lopunny:) and Thunder Wave support, allowing this team to break through both defensive teams, as well as pressure offensive teams more easily. Sludge Bomb is good for damage, especially against certain setup mons like :iron-valiant: and :clefable:. Chilly Reception + Tera Water allows :slowking-galar: to disrupt weather teams, by soaking hits and replacing the weather with Snow, which provides :kyurem: with a defense boost.

:lopunny-mega:, when combined with :darkrai:, can overwhelm common defensive backbones, especially when Trick is used from :darkrai:. It offers pivoting for :darkrai: and :kyurem:, which is good against mons like :dondozo: or :corviknight:. Fake Out gives the team priority too. Normal/Fighting is useful typing, as it offers the team two additional ways of handling Ghost and Dark types, good for :slowking-galar:, who can help pressure :toxapex: with Future Sight support. Frustration is used to prevent :ditto: from copying and using the move.

:ferrothorn: gives the team hazards, which is needed for certain damage thresholds with :darkrai:, a steel type mon to switch into, good for :lopuny-mega: and :darkrai: against Fairy and Psychic types, and leech seed support to heal :landorus-therian:. Tera Fairy is preferred over Tera Ghost to avoid being weak to :tyranitar-mega:'s pursuit, as well as :banette-mega:'s Poltergeist. :ferrothorn: also gives me a good water-type switch in against rain teams.

Gives me another pivoter, a better electric type switch-in, as well as a groud switch-in as well. Can remove hazards with Defog, and with Earthquake, can break through steel types for :darkrai: so he doesn't have to use Focus Miss as often. Toxic forces progress against bulkier teams as well. Not much too say it's just :landorus-therian:. Tera water is used against the rain matchup, as well as against :weavile:.

:kyurem: makes up for the lack of Ice Beam that :darkrai: has, hitting ground types like :landorus-therian: and :great-tusk:. Ice/Ground coverage is unresisted in this metagame (:frosmoth: is not real), which is very good for making progress, with the SubRoost set being able to outstall :chansey: from Seismic Toss, as well as other low PP SE moves like :ferrothorn:'s Gyro Ball. Tera Ground also lets you eat Thunder Waves and use Earth power harder.

wow i wrote a bit too much
Team B
For Animemer

Deeez Nuuuts (Deo-D Fat)

:sv/deoxys-defense: :sv/garganacl: :sv/mawile-mega: :sv/alomomola: :sv/darkrai: :sv/gliscor:

Weird thing I bit ago for my dude Animemer.​

:deoxys defense: is there to stack cosmic powers vs teams like rain with only breakers and also vs setup sweepers that garg matches up badly, it has SR for basically only compression (i wasn't giving it to Mmaw).

You know :garganacl:, u know what it does and what it's capable of and you definitely know the amount of pressure it exerts right on the preview.
Tera dragon besides being my favorite tera for :garganacl: is there hide the weakness to :OGERPON-WELLSPRING:.

:mawile-mega: was a mon that I've been meaning to use in my teams for a long time, though :scizor-mega: may have a better movepool and arguably stats for fat structures I chose :mawile-mega: becuase the better Stall (and TR ig) MU, the better typing and yknow 1000+ attack at +2 besides I was planning to add :alomomola: by the time i added :mawile-mega: anyways so I might as well sacrifice longevity a bit for the stupid attack of :mawile-mega:.

:Alomomola: really can do anything. Cancel potencially big mistakes while supporting teammates by giving them chances to take hits again and pivot them in at the same time? :Alomomola: does that.
Sponge both special and physical attacks with relative ease? :Alomomola: does that.
Spread toxic? :Alomomola: does that.
Scout sets while building synergy with your own set? :Alomomola: does that.
Have a mf 1/3 passive recovery by just switching? :Alomomola: does that.

:darkrai: is an amazing specs breaker whose feels like it's true 100% checks is like :blissey: and :chansey:, a good natural speed tier sort of makes up of the lack of speed control and it's psychic immunity helps dealing with :tapu lele: offensively, it also puts pressure on weather teams if its facing the setter and forces the opponent into a dilemma of either sacking/heavily chipping a threat or let their setter die.

:gliscor: brings a good ground and elec immunity and good toxic spreading/defogging capabilities besides the crazy longevity.
Team C
I May Fall - Darkrai + Bu Corv balance
:Darkrai: :Slowking Galar: :Corviknight: :Gliscor: :Tapu Fini: :Ferrothorn:

I honestly do not care if this team is bad lol I just wanted to participate in this cycle.
Anyway this description will be short. Darkrai is a great breaker with specs and is helped further by fsight and Fini crippling defensive switchins like pex and Glisc with trick. Glowking is the Ival check while also just synergizing nicely with Fini and rai. Bu Corv is the main wincon while also dismantling balance teams. It also checks iron boulder and msciz quite well. Glisc sets spikes pressure which is always nice and is this team’s ground. Fini exists as a check to dark and fighting stuff while also preventing rai/corv from being statused. It also provides speed control and fog, while also crippling stuff like Ferro and Mola. Ferro exists as a Waterpon check while giving knock support to remove boots and more hazard pressure + being a better water resist than Fini.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2058879623-dazactu064w73ihte4nq1nv2myjdp60pw here is a replay (idk if it showcases the team well LOL but here scarf Fini revenges moon and Glisc puts spikes/tox pressure while rai is in the back just ready to break with fsight support)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2061865899 here is another replay and even though I got hit by 8 BLIZZARDS IN A ROW I still won pp stalling those blizzards, making a risky play with Ferro, and threatening basically everything with specs rai with fsight support.
Voting closes this Wednesday!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)