Projects National Dex Ubers Teambuilding Competition [On Haitus Offensive Ho-Oh sumbissions still open]

Cycle 17 Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So this cycle we yet again have a tie and a quick poll in the NDUbers discord resulted in yet another so both DD Arceus Ghost and Choice Specs Eternatus will be available as options for you to build with! You are not required to use both. Additionally I'd like to clarify that the sets provided are just suggestions and unless explictly mentioned you are not required to adhere to them so go crazy!

:sv/arceus-ghost: :sv/eternatus:

:arceus-ghost:
Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z / Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
Tera Type: Ghost / Normal / Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Def / 236 Spe or 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Shadow Force
- Taunt / Refresh / Recover / Substitute
- Extreme Speed / Earthquake / Tera Blast / Brick Break
Though it is a shadow of its BW counterpart, Arceus Ghost is still a fantastic addition to many offensive teams in NDUbers. It does not have the same precence as a choice banded marshadow when it finds its way onto the field. However, it can leverage its bulk and typing to easily get a free dragon dance. If you don't have a bulky dark type or an immunity you are likely to spend some time contemplating which mon you are going to sacrifice because not much else is going to live a +1 STAB 190 BP ghost move. You best not have given it free setup as just 20 defence EVs allows it to live even a tera ghost banded shadow sneak from full. Even Zygarde, our catch all physical wall noodles into it as it is taunted and gives Arceus Ghost another DD. It can also run the spooky plate which causes Shadow Force to remain a threatening 144 BP move, but lacks the instant OHKO potential that comes with equiping ghostium z.

:eternatus:
Eternatus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Dragon / Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 252 SpA / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature / Modest
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dynamax Cannon
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
When Eternatus isn't reminding us that a measly toxic spike is a death sentence for many hyper offensive teams it is often ending games with its meteor beam set which fears little besides a chansey or ditto in the back waiting to reverse sweep. Choice specs allows Eternatus to transition from a sweeper to a breaker. Forgoing the need to spend a turn a turn clicking and risking a meteor beam miss that stops your sweep choice specs allow Eternatus to break through anything that isn't Chansey or a fairy type with just its dragon moves, though fairy types are not exactly eager to switch into its Poison / Fire coverage. Even Ho-oh which blanket checks most special attackers is 2hko'd by Dynamax Cannon with any chip and always 2HKO'd if tera is used. Flamethrower is an alternative to fire blast if accuracy is a concern but it fails to OHKO Zacian Crowned without tera fire and giving that an opportunity to get a SD can easily be game ending. Additionally lacking the nuke that is tera Dragon will be noticable in some games. One such example is losing the ability to OHKO defensive Primal Groudon.

This Cycle you have two interesting options to build with. I'll be looking forward to the teams you build regardless of which you choose to build around. Some creative builders may even be able to fit both on the same team! The deadline for submissions is 2 Feb 5.00 GMT.

Lastly, the option to build around a two mon core is being considered for future cycles. For example, Defensive Pdon + Ho-oh. I'd like to gague interest in this idea before it is implemented so please leave feedback on this proposal. As always, if you have any suggestions for a mon to build around feel free to message myself, aninjadude, or runo.​

Last edited:

Bobsican

NatDex Ubers TL
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Okay, got bored and decided to give this a shot.

:sv/eternatus::sv/groudon-primal::sv/Alomomola::sv/ho-oh::sv/arceus-fairy::sv/necrozma-dusk-mane:

This semi-stall team may seem familiar to some, but this is just based around a hard-stall I did about a year ago and posted on the server, I may as well just mostly copy-paste the reasoning for each member of the team:

:Eternatus:: In a fat team it may seem wack at first, but surprisingly, it appreciates the hazards and crippling stuff its allies do, easing its job to KO mons mid-game and sometimes sweep too, its allies appreciate it taking care of fatmons they'd usually struggle with such as :Clodsire:, :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: and :Ho-Oh:, which is supported by its Choice Specs not inherently wearing off if it switches out, something that a Meteor Beam set lacks the luxury of.

:groudon-primal:: Does :groudon-primal: stuff, it acts as a blanket check to most of the meta as usual, and can spread Spikes fairly easily. The set avoids it from being too passive on stuff like :yveltal: and :xerneas:.

:Arceus-Fairy:: Checks
-types like :Marshadow:,
-types like :Yveltal:, and status spammers like :Giratina: and :Zygarde:. Tera
allows it to compress as a pseudo :Arceus-Ground: when I need it to check :groudon-primal: and :Zekrom: better. Of note is that a fat
is notable in this meta as
-types are unsurprisingly everywhere, thank Game Freak.

:necrozma-dusk-mane:: Acts as a hazard setter that can also cripple stuff with Knock Off, being a mon that complements :Ho-Oh: on checking :Zacian-crowned: and :Xerneas: is also worth mentioning, especially as it also acts as the characteristic fat
of this kind of teams, also checking mixed attackers like :Deoxys-Attack:.

:Ho-Oh:: Acts as a potent special wall to complement :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane:, while also checking
-types, phazing setup mons, removing hazards, and overall being a blanket check to mixed attackers like :Deoxys-Attack:, :Rayquaza: and some variants of :groudon-primal:, especially as I can afford using it to scout thanks to Regenerator, complementing the team to check :Xerneas: is also very appreciated.
Tera
may seem like a unusual pick, but it allows it to flip the :necrozma-ultra: match-up while also becoming a blanket check to the
and
-types in the meta, which are very common.

:Alomomola:: Is a good way to gain momentum as :groudon-primal: can't 2HKO it easily and dislikes Toxic, enabling it to often spam Flip Turn (especially with prediction, once :Groudon-primal: is Toxic'd, it can't come in forever anymore) to chip stuff and give wallbreaking opportunities to our beloved :eternatus:.
Its surprisingly good physical bulk also means that it can comfortably come into physical attackers like :Marshadow:, :Lucario-Mega:, :Mewtwo-Mega-X:, :Arceus: and :Zacian-Crowned:, which also dislike its Rocky Helmet. thus doing a good core with :Ho-Oh: as the latter checks several special attackers for it, with both of them having decent potential to spread status and high longevity out of the dual Regenerator, and Wish also helps :Groudon-Primal: and :eternatus: to have longevity and reduce progress made by the other team.

:kyogre-primal:: It can be dangerous if it gets to come into :groudon-primal:, the team has no stuff besides it that can comfortably switch into it, so in such kind of match-ups you may be forced to Terastallize :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane:, which still cripples your team to become vulnerable to other stuff, let alone Morning Sun not healing as much under rain. Of course there's also the matter of :Groudon-Primal: being overwhelmed and KO'd, but :Eternatus: is a potent revenge killer, and so overall such match-ups aren't inherent losses usually.

:Mewtwo-Mega-Y:: Nasty Plot and at best speed tying :Eternatus: (if a max Spe spread is used for the latter) renders this mon quite difficult to beat, Psystrike also means that it's practically a mixed attacker, and so it can overwhelm everything with the right coverage that's difficult to scout, well, except for Terastallized :Ho-Oh:, which got better meta-wise now that :Koraidon: is gone, but still costs the Tera slot when, say, :Eternatus: likes to drop Tera
Draco Meteor to nuke stuff.

There's a few other things like :Arceus: that can threaten the team, no team is invincible after all, but such match-ups are quite more reasonable to deal with compared to the above.

I also bothered getting some relatively decent replays of this team in action:

Vs Xerneas Balance
Vs Zacian Balance
Vs Ladder Cheese (lol)
Vs R8 (GG BTW)

As for the idea of cycles involving two mons at the same time per team over only a single one, I'd think it's a good idea, generally cores are simpler to build around than a single mon, even if they may restrain creativity a bit, so at the same time I'd suggest to not do that sort of cycles too often.

Last edited:
STICKY WEB HYPER OFFENSE w/ Ghostceus
:sv/shuckle: :sv/arceus-ghost: :sv/groudon-primal: :sv/xerneas: :sv/yveltal: :sv/salamence-mega:

:shuckle: provides the Sticky Webs for the team, as well as Stealth Rocks so :groudon-primal: doesn't have to, Encore to limit opposing setup as well as to punish :ho-oh: or :yveltal: defogging as I setup hazards on them, giving me free setup. Final Gambit is useful if I want to pivot after getting both hazards up.

:arceus-ghost: helps spin-block against :excadrill: to keep hazards up. It sets up with Dragon Dance and can nuke bulky mons like :zygarde: and :groudon-primal:, potentially OHKOing them (I think it OHKOs Defensive :groudon-primal: after Stealth Rock damage). Taunt prevents anti-setup as well as defogging attempts, and Brick Break hits :yveltal: and :arceus-dark: for decent damage after a Dragon Dance, making :arceus-ghost: solid in the late game, especially if they are both chipped down.

:groudon-primal: appreciates :arceus-ghost: pressuing mons like :giratina: and Support Arceus formes, so it can spam full-power Eruptions with the assist of Sticky Webs. Swords Dance is good to punish repeated switching, especially against :zygarde: + :ho-oh: cores. :groudon-primal: also hits steel types very well, which benefits...

:xerneas:, who has Ingrain to stop :ho-oh: from Whirlwinding it away. Tera Electric is used for its neutral damage across the tier, as well as giving me a way to hit :kyogre-primal: hard, but Tera Fighting Focus Blast + HP Rock can also be used if necessary. It can also switch into dark moves aimed at :arceus-ghost:, as well as :marshadow:'s Close Combat aimed at...

:yveltal: switches into :choice-band: :marshadow:'s Shadow Sneaks, giving it solid synergy with :arceus-ghost: defensively. It can use Taunt to stop defog and setup turns from going off, and if necessary, has Sucker Punch for priority (useful if webs is removed somehow).

:salamence-mega: can switch into :groudon-primal: and :marshadow: with Intimidate, and help :arceus-ghost: overwhelm common checks like :groudon-primal: and :giratina-origin:. The moveset isn't set in stone, I could use Earthquake to hit :necrozma-dusk-mane: harder, or I could use Refresh for longevity, but I think Facade is good against :ho-oh:.

The last slot (:salamence-mega:) could be replaced with another mon, I originally used :lucario-mega:, as it was able to switch into Foul Play and Dark Pulse from :yveltal:/:arceus-dark:, and with Justified, could get a +1 boost from it. However, I felt like :lucario-mega:'s power wasn't enough, especially if I used Bullet Punch, meaning hitting :ho-oh: was harder. :salamence-mega: also gave me a second switch in to :kyogre-primal: and :groudon-primal:, which is super useful, even for HO.

Last edited:

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
SPECS ETERNATUS DITTO BALANCE
:eternatus: :ditto: :alomomola: :groudon-primal: :arceus-dark: :giratina-origin:

I went for specs etern (because honestly dd ghostceus sounds like a bad dd groundceus (great set, use it) nevermind I just tried dd ghostceus and it's actually kinda nuts lol) and honestly it (the etern set) went much harder than I expected it to. You often just outspeed ton of stuff and click big buttons and watch things die. The T-Spikes slot can also be draco-meteor if you want. Or dragon pulse, I imagine.

Here is a tldr of the team because I'm lazy: ditto was a first choice to punish zacian-c/xerneas that might take advantage of etern being choice locked, mola offers pivoting and a bit more longevity yo etern and pdon, pdon+darkceus+gira-o form a defensive core that covers most things u'd want to cover. U can toy around with the Gira-O set tbh, as long as it defogs and can switch into P-Don it's fine. Stone edge over shadow sneak to hit yveltal and ho-oh harder is very possible.

Last edited:
I just realized something. People will say "it sucks" or "a remnant of the past" or even "it is at its weakest," but at the end of the day, it all falls on the hands of the wielder. As I pondered on this thought, I concluded one thing: even the most underused Pokemon will shine if it is not underplayed!

Don't take this monster lightly because
Arceus-Ghost Plays Rough!

As a reminiscent of the NDAG era, :Arceus-Ghost: cemented itself as one of the most scariest offensive powerhouse for Sticky Webs HO courtesy of its powerful Shadow Force, sometimes buffed even further by Ghostium Z. Together with :Calyrex-Shadow: and :Marshadow:, they form a self-improofed Ghost Spam core excellent at overwhelming support :Yveltal: and :Arceus-Dark: for one or possibly all of them to break through. Unfortunately, that is a thing of the past. The absence of :Calyrex-Shadow: hurts, compounded even further by Species Clause and the prevalence of Sucker Punch offensive :Yveltal: with Tera Dark at this post-Dynamax era. Forfeiting the use of Extreme Killer or Swords Dance :Arceus-Ground:, a self-sufficient breaker and revenge killer, for a Tera or Z-crystal-hogger that, depending on the set, can fall easily to Sucker Punch also hurts. Nevertheless, thanks to its new toy in Dragon Dance, Terastallization, and Taunt, :Arceus-Ghost:, despite being overshadowed, stands out as one of the few unpredictable yet effective balance breakers that ends games if given the chance.

Running Z-Ghost on a Yveltal and Marshadow-infested meta is synonymous with asking for trouble versus 90% of the NDUBERS playerbase, as sad as it sounds. The same cannot be said for the Terastal variant though. +1 Shadow Force boosted by Spooky Plate heavily dents everything that isn't an :Arceus-Dark:, :Arceus:, or bulky :Yveltal:. And all of which are heavily smacked by Tera Fairy Tera Blast! Taunt stiffles :Zygarde: in conjuction with Tera Fairy, turning it into a complete setup fodder. Netting a +2 is auto-game over unless multiple priority users are on the opposition post-tera. 204 creeps +Spe base 99's.

The rest of the team are pretty self-explanatory. :Scolipede: sets itself apart from :Glimmora: thanks to its access to Speed Boost and Endeavor. It leads, sets Spikes or Toxic Spikes or both as one sees fit, and Endeavors a troublesome :Groudon-Primal: or :Arceus: into 1 HP for its teammates in conjuction with Tera Ghost for Extreme Killer.

:Kyogre-Primal: takes on a bulky attacker approach due to lack of Sticky Webs. It is EV'ed to live both Jolly and Adamant +1 Wild Charge from :Zacian-Crowned:. If Rocks are in play, it is ev'ed to live Adamant +1 Wild Charge 37.6% of the time.

Tera Stellar :Marshadow: is an underrated monster that trades consistency of Tera Ghost Poltergeist for a one-time nuke versus weakened :Groudon-Primal: as well as support :Arceus: formes and cocky :Xerneas:. At +1, it will OHKO any :Ho-Oh:, defensive :Zygarde: pre-transformation, support :Arceus: formes, and support :Eternatus: after Spikes. All while not succumbing to Sucker Punch and maintaining Extreme Speed immunity.

Alternate Sets/Spreads:

Jolly over Adamant for :Zacian-Crowned: is an option but you lose the opportunity to OHKO a non-Tera Fire :Ho-Oh: with +3 Behemoth Blade. Alternatively, +3 Tera Fighting Close Combat also scores an OHKO but it requires burning Terastal.

Jolly over Adamant for :Marshadow: is an option but OHKO'ing :Ho-Oh:, :Eternatus:, and support :Arceus: formes with +1 Tera Stellar Poltergeist and +1 Tera Stellar Close Combat, respectively, now becomes a disadvantageous coin flip, and you no longer OHKO defensive :Zygarde: with +1 Tera Stellar Close Combat after Spikes. Also, you may fall short on damage especially on late-game scenarios.

Pin Missile or Superpower or Hidden Power [Ground] over Toxic Spikes is an option for :Scolipede: to mess with the occasional lead :Deoxys-Speed:, Taunt Extreme Killer :Arceus:, and :Diancie-Mega: or :Excadrill: as well as :Glimmora: without activating Toxic Debris, respectively, but the disruption and consistent chip caused by poison especially versus stallish teams that rely on non-Heavy-Duty-Boots :Dondozo: can sometimes be game-breaking. If running Hidden Power [Ground], go for 252 SpA.

X-Scissor or Outrage over Stone Edge is an option for :Necrozma-Ultra: but OHKO'ing :Ho-Oh: without burning Z-Crystal can sometimes be beneficial. Furthermore, you won't be dealing much damage any :Yveltal: variants in X-Scissor's case at the cost of heavily chipping :Arceus-Dark: while Outrage's locking effect can be taken advantage of by Steel and Fairies.

24 Def with 31 HP IVS is an option for :Scolipede: to live 252+ :Rayquaza: Scale Shot (4 hits).

Whenever :Glimmora: is on the opposition, almost always lead with :Kyogre-Primal: unless you get a read on something or if you are running Hidden Power [Ground]. If not, save :Scolipede: to absorb Toxic Spikes later on. Use Tera wisely, else if :Marshadow: falls and :Dondozo: and :Chansey: are still healthy, or darks are still alive, the game is good as over. :Choice-Band: :Marshadow: will be a nemesis especially when locked into Shadow Sneak bolstered by Tera Ghost. As such, make sure a teammate is still healthy later on for the end-game. :Ditto: can be problematic, but it is easier to play around with for this team. Be aware of Tera Normal :Ditto: as the team has no way of dealing with it other than tanking a hit and retaliating back. It is recommended to set Toxic Spikes versus teams with :Marshadow:and versus Webs without :Eternatus:. Go crush them, peeps.

Last edited:
With great power comes great responsibility. This is a famous quote contentiously upheld by everyone up to this day. It reflects the magnitude of accountability one possesses whenever they wield authority, superiority, and unmatched firepower. This is true not just in life, but also in Pokemon.

At the cost of almost over-reliance on prediction and the threat of being taken advantage of, Eternatus cleaves through cores like a Kowtow with its
Burning Meteor Showers!

:Eternatus: have had a long history of greatness ever since its inception in Generation 8. We are all so used to seeing it as the ironclad :Kyogre:, :Yveltal:, :Marshadow:, and :Ho-Oh: sponge courtesy of its great speed, typing, and bulk, that its offensive sets often gets overlooked, underestimated even. It definitely is an impressive breaker, but now, with access to Terastallization in conjunction with 145 Special Attack and STAB Draco Meteor, this dragon's power is now elevated to new heights that :Choice-Specs:, a seemingly inferior item to :Life-Orb: or :Power-Herb: is actually a viable menace. But of course, just as stated above, it is highly abusable. Draco Meteor is not necessarily a good click in a tier where :Xerneas:, :Zacian-Crowned:, and :Necrozma-Ultra: in Dusk-Mane forme strangles the metagame. Nevertheless, with the right support and good play, this variant of :Eternatus: works wonders.

Nothing really much to explain here. Go shower the opponent with Meteors and switch. Or maybe wreak havoc with Dynamax Cannon instead. It is all up to the wielder. And how it is used will greatly impact the state of the game, especially with Tera Dragon and the steel-melting Fire Blast at its disposal.

The rest is self-explanatory. Tera Flying :Zacian-Crowned: lets the team turn the tables versus :Arceus-Ground:, one of the most annoying threats to this team. It can also soft-check :Necrozma-Ultra: if timed right. :Ho-Oh:, in conjunction with Tera Fire, lets it be an ironclad answer to both :Zacian-Crowned: and :Xerneas: for as long as the former does not predict with +3 Tera Fighting Close Combat. It is EV'ed to live a +2 Hidden Power [Rock] from boosted :Xerneas: as to not waste terastal. :Chesto-Berry: is chosen over :Leftovers: for instant healing without having to burn sleep turns. No matter how bulky a Pokemon is, they are useless if asleep. :Choice-Band: Yveltal gives a dark type to the team that absolutely loves preying on walls :Eternatus: struggles to break like :Chansey: and :Tyranitar: while also inducing momentum through U-Turn and offering priority through Sucker Punch. Everything that can take advantage of :Eternatus: after a Draco is taken care of.

Play this team with intricate caution, as Sucker Punch would not fool the experienced. Avoid Terastallizing recklessly if :Zacian-Crowned: of the opposing team are still alive.

Good luck on your battles, adios!

Congratulations to 09-10a for winning this cycle with their Ghostceus HO! That makes it two in a row! Will they take home the triple crown? Find out on the next cycle of Dragonball Z the teambuilding competition!

:sv/latias-mega:
Normally when you get on a plane there is a small booklet in the seat in front of you there is a booklet detailing some essential information you should know. None of that exists for Mega Latias in this meta. It is a mon I've personally never seen nor used, but was a suggestion when asked for defensive options and soared to the top of the ballot box.

Normally this is where I'd give a sample set, a brief description of how it functions in the meta, and most importantly a couple of puns. However, we are in uncharted territory. Mega latias has a wide support toolkit to tap into to help out its teammates. That is all from me folks!

The deadline for submissions is 08 Feb at 05.00 GMT. In the meantime if you havn't voted in the current poll for the next cycle it can be found at the top of the thread. As always if you have any suggestions for sets or mons don't hesitate to contact myself, aninjadude, or runo. Best of luck builders!​

Weirdhamster

Banned deucer.
:alomomola::arceus-poison::latias-mega::yveltal::ho-oh::rayquaza:

The Arceus Poison + Mega Latias core was a core I tested a bit during NDFL. It gives some insane role compression to balance with Latias being able to check Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon, while Arceus Poison can check Marshadow and Xerneas, two big threats to Latias. With more Xerneas using hidden power rorck and focus blast, Arceus Poison becomes a more rock solid check to it. Alomomola helps with tanking physical hits from miscellanoius attacks such as choice band Marshadow as Arceus Poison does not heavily check it. Alomomola also helps as a pivot which means that choice banded Rayquaza can easily break through other teams giving a wincon, priority , and fire power as the team lacks a lot of it, especially with the current Mega Latias set. Ho-Oh mainly does Ho-Oh stuff. It can easily get in on threats such as Xerneas, Arceus formes, Zygarde, and other threats to either defog away any stealth rocks for Rayquaza, or whirlwind them around to position yourself better. Double defog gives extra insurance for Latias to easily switch in against Primal Kyogre, and for Rayquaza to not be chipped down as easily.

No introductions for now. Lol.

Let's discuss
the elephant in the room. While :Latias-Mega: is a somewhat uncommon pick in a meta dominated by :Xerneas: and :Zacian-Crowned:, it sets itself apart from the crowd courtesy of its speed tier, typing, and access to Levitate, allowing it to compress a :Groudon-Primal:, :Kyogre-Primal:, :Arceus-Ground:, :Arceus-Water:, and non-X-Scissor or Outrage :Necrozma-Ultra: check in one slot. This is a pretty huge niche, but unfortunately, that's where it ends. :Latias-Mega: has no offensive utility whatsoever, suffers from 4-moveslot syndrome, and is ridiculously passive. Being weak to Dark- and -Fairy also hurts. Nonetheless, such a feat alone is enough to net it a spot on certain archetypes that appreciate its good qualities

Nothing really much to explain here. Psywave, together with Draco Meteor and the team's Toxic Spikes, ensures that it won't be as passive as it already is. This set ensures :Latias-Mega: will never give the steels and fairies a free turn unscathed, especially :Zacian-Crowned: since it's immune to Toxic Spikes. 176+ creeps 252+ base 99's. The rest are pretty self-explanatory.

The team takes advantage of Toxic Spikes to open the way for :Marshadow: with Z and Choice Band :Yveltal:. :Eternatus: checks :Yveltal:, :Marshadow:, and :Arceus: formes. :Ho-Oh: takes on a bulky attacker approach so as not to be pretty passive. It still does its usual :Ho-Oh: job though, in conjunction with Tera Fire. Pretty straightforward. I actually can't believe it got me to 1987.

Alternate Sets/Spreads:

Shadow Sneak over Substitute for :Marshadow: is an option, but the oppressiveness and utility given by Substitute, especially versus pre-Tera Extreme Killer, can be valuable at times. Substitute also lets it dominate any :Zygarde: that doesn't run Tera Normal, as well as other passive foes like the newly popular :Alomomola:.

Healing Wish over Roost is an option for :Latias-Mega: but it won't be a consistent :Groudon-Primal:, :Arceus-Ground:, and :Arceus-Water: answer anymore. The opposition will simply outlast it with ease, and later on, :Groudon-Primal: will wreak havoc.

Toxic over Psywave or Draco Meteor is an option for :Latias-Mega: but losing either will make it even more passive as it is. Removing Psywave means:Xerneas: and :Zacian-Crowned: will always come in for free, especially the latter while dropping Draco Meteor meant you have no way of dealing true damage especially versus :Salamence-Mega: offensive :Groudon-Primal: and :Yveltal:. Often, you will have to sacrifice it or be forced to always be at the receiving front of what the enemy wants to do. The team has Toxic Spikes anyway, so dropping Toxic won't be that much of a blow.

This team is not reliant on Terastal to wallbreak, so conserve it whenever :Zacian-Crowned:, :Xerneas:, and a suspected :Power-Herb: :Eternatus: are on the opposing team. If facing another :Eternatus:, go wild with :Yveltal:. If fighting :Choice-Specs: :Eternatus:, it's often advantageous to dedicate the Tera to the team's :Eternatus:. :Ho-Oh: will live one Dynamax Cannon into Tera Dragon. It will be a game of positioning.

Anyhow, good luck on your battles, and adios!

Last edited:
Congratulations to 09-10a for taking home the triple crown with their Mega Lati BO!

:sv/salamence-mega:

A couple of weeks ago inbetween discord posts shilling some shitmon of the week is actually good R8 made a post in the VR asking for community thoughts about Mega Salamence. Since then I've been hoping that it would win a poll to see it get a spotlight and this week it finally has! Courtesy of its typing, imtimidate, and decent physical bulk it provides a sorely needed switchin to Primal Groudon for the hyper offence teams it most commonly finds itself on.
After a single dragon dance it threatens to sweep many a chipped team courtesy of its aerilate boosted attacks. Flying is a fantastic STAB which is complemented by earthquake bulldozing the steels which would otherwise switch into it. A Mega Salamence which has not revealed its moveslots is a nightmare to answer defensively due to a deep movepool to draw from. Dealing with it through status risks being bowled over by facade which can even 2hko Dondozo after rocks. Perhaps it has refresh which allows it to simply shrug off toxic and boost further.

Mega Salamence also has the toolkit to provide a lot of defensive utility whether that be slotting in defog for emergencies on offensive sets or fully embracing a defensive role and running moves such as body slam to spread the yellow magic and dragon tail to phase setup sweepers. Mega Salamence is an amazing if underused mon in the tier and I'm sure y'all will build some great teams with it! The deadline for submissions is 16 Feb 05.00 GMT. As always, if you have any suggestions for mons to be included in polls in the future feel free to message myself, aninjadude, or runo.​

Defensive :Salamence-Mega:. Offensive :Salamence-Mega:. We're so focused on specific sets that we don't ask ourselves, "What if :Salamence-Mega: does both AT ONCE?"

While famous for being a :Rayquaza-Mega: on budget, one should never underestimate its power on team previews. Dragon Dance, in conjunction with Aerilate-Boosted Double-Edge, gives it a miniature LO Dragon Ascent that cleaves open even the bulkiest of walls. :Salamence-Mega: is no slouch when it comes to its common ways of counterplay either. Any :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: that doesn't run significant bulk investment is 2HKO'ed by Earthquake. And unlike :Rayquaza-Mega:, which detests status conditions, :Salamence-Mega: thrives on them and punishes those who attempt to even do so. Nobody wants to face this boosted bad boy with a 140-BP Facade powered up by Aerilate, after all. However, it's not without its fair share of flaws. Defensive sets are ridiculously passive, and while decent, offensive variant's raw bulk is not really outstanding. So what if we take both of these into account and go halfway?

Two is better than one. This is applicable not just in life or on Valentine's Day but also in Pokemon.

This is pretty self-explanatory. :Salamence-Mega: is EV'ed to outspeed everything up to fast base 95's. 16 hits 330 and the rest is dumped into bulk. Before attempting to wallbreak, it will spread paralysis through Body Slam and absorb status thrown here and there while stiffling :Groudon-Primal:, sometimes even using it as setup fodder if it lacks Roar or Dragon Tail. Deliberately delaying :Salamence-Mega:'s Mega Evolution may be wise on a lot of occasions, as Intimidate can be pretty handy at times. This has enough bulk for PP Stalling :Groudon-Primal:'s Stone Edge, even if they predict Roost turns. Play around a suspected Swords Dance :Groudon-Primal: accordingly.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory. :Choice-Band::Urshifu: is chosen over:Yveltal: due to the lack of Rock weakness and its positive matchup versus bulky :Yveltal: and :Zygarde: especially with Tera Dark-boosted Wicked Blow. It breaks open common defensive cores that lack an :Arceus-Fairy: , :Xerneas:, or a fast :Yveltal: in conjunction with Spikes, disposes :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: and :Ho-Oh: for :Salamence-Mega: and :Zacian-Crowned:, and provides speed control and pivoting through Sucker Punch and U-Turn, respectively. :Arceus-Dark: is semi-reliable check to :Groudon-Primal:, :Necrozma-Ultra:, :Yveltal:, and :Zygarde:, courtesy of Ice Beam as well as providing a switch-in to :Choice-Band: Tera Ghost-boosted Poltergeist and/or Spectral Thief from :Marshadow: and a way to stiffle passive play and Defog through Taunt. Tera Steel allows :Zacian-Crowned: to maintain its valuable defensive utility especially vs Extreme Killer :Arceus: while also boosting Behemoth Blade to absurd levels. It is EV'ed to outspeed everything up to :Mewtwo-Mega-Y: while avoiding the 2HKO from support :Yveltal:'s Foul Play after Rocks.

Alternate sets/spreads:

Tera Fighting
over Tera Steel is an option for :Zacian-Crowned: but it loses its resistance to Normal, thus making the Extreme Killer :Arceus: matchup a bit sketchy especially since :Arceus-Dark: really won't always be in full health. And that's not to mention the Tera Fairy Tera Blast variants. The team has Spikes in conjunction with :Urshifu: anyway, so it's really not necessary. It also allows :Zacian-Crowned: to pick off healthy targets it normally wouldn't be able to once it loses its free +1 should the situation call for it. Note that +2 Tera Steel Behemoth Blade into Close Combat defeats standard support :Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: after a layer of Spike.

Thunder Wave over Taunt is an option for :Arceus-Dark:, trading efficiency vs passive teams for a way to cripple unsuspecting :Eternatus: and cocky :Zacian-Crowned:.

Double-Edge over Body Slam is an option for :Salamence-Mega: if one prefers raw power over spreading Paralysis. Spikes compensate for the minimal attack investment.

Substitute over Refresh is an option for :Salamence-Mega: but this is rather inconsistent and matchup-reliant.:Salamence-Mega: will just get statused by:Groudon-Primal: after forcing it to Roost, rendering it useless.

Keeping :Groudon-Primal: and offensive :Yveltal: on their toes and playing aggressively is key to piloting this team. Do not be afraid to use :Arceus-Dark: as a :Groudon-Primal: check since:Urshifu: can soft-check a boosted :Necrozma-Ultra:. :Eternatus: will be a pain to deal with; as such, make sure to stack Spikes and maintain them through offense and :Arceus-Dark:'s Taunt. It's often advantageous to dedicate the tera to :Arceus-Dark: if fighting one, but be sure not to panic. Toxic Spikes aren't the end of the world for this team. All in all, the only way to reliably bypass this team's flaws is to play rough. Use what this team has to your advantage and always think twice before making a move.

Good luck peeps, and Happy Valentine's Day in advance!
Cheers to the singles or with lovers alike!

Last edited:
Mega Salamence BO

:sv/salamence-mega: :sv/zacian-crowned: :sv/arceus-dark: :sv/ho-oh: :sv/eternatus: :sv/groudon-primal:

Decided I wanted to try and use Defensive :salamence-mega: for once. It switches into ground moves from :groudon-primal: and :arceus-ground: to help my own :groudon-primal: and :eternatus:. It can switch into water moves from :kyogre-primal:, fighting moves from :marshadow: and possibly even bug moves such as stray u-turns or :pheromosa:. It helps spread paralysis with Body Slam, remove hazards (avoiding being as passive) with Defog and act as a status absorber with Refresh (giving the team longevity).

In return, :zacian-crowned: can switch into dragon, ice and fairy moves aimed at :salamence-mega:. Paralysis support helps :zacian-crowned: clean up later in the game. :arceus-dark: has both Taunt and Toxic to prevent mons from outlasting this team, especially on Stall, with Foul Play to discourage physical setup. Offensive :ho-oh: with Whirlwind gives me an option against :xerneas:, whilst avoiding being passive against :eternatus:. It also has defog if :salamence-mega: can't use it. :dragonium-z: :eternatus: is a powerful breaker that helps :zacian-crowned: overwhelm checks such as Support Arceus forms and :groudon-primal:, whilst offering a toxic absorber and a decent :kyogre-primal: switch in. Lastly, :groudon-primal: gives this team hazards whilst avoiding being passive with Swords Dance.

Edit: It's kinda dumb there's only two. Normally I'd just go 1 > 2, but there's....only two. :psygrump: I like the other team too

Last edited:
My aplogies again for the late post, but the winner for this cycle is Mega Mence BO by Sami! We had a tie so I've acted as the tiebreaker.

:sv/yveltal:

Coming in with the most votes yet received is Yveltal! Yveltal is most commonly seen donning a life orb and striking fear into nearly anything slower than it not named Mega Tyranitar. Otherwise it remains true to its nickname as the bacon bird and runs a bulkier sets that can take on some truly powerful threats with some meat behind their hits. Choiced sets whilst uncommon, capitalize on these expectations and can leverage this nasty surprise with gamechanging results! You are free to use any moves you'd like so long as your Yveltal is equipping one of the three choice items. I'm looking forward to how your teams can take advantage of the holes Yveltal leaves in its wake! The deadline for submissions is 23 Feb at 19.00 GMT. As always if you have any suggestions for pokemon or sets to appear in a future poll please message myself, aninjadude, or runo!​

https://pokepast.es/7afbe9eec6bf1c85
team i used in top 16 in freezai cup to great sucess, and it utilizes choice scarf yveltal's bulky set from SM. it acts nicly as an Unecro, MMY, ddance zygod, and tera ground zacian answer. the rest of the team is pretty bulky with calm mind pogre, defensive NDM, Gira-o, and phat pdon. the main cleaner of the team is geo xern, a broken breaker that can utilize scarf yveltal handling threats that xern is sometimes forces to switch into on more offensive teams, hindering the sweep, along with the suprise factor of yveltal being pretty tanky, able to take a boosted ekiller that doesnt tera and OHKO it in return, helping with xerns issue of being weak to various ekiller sets revenge killing it from chip it often has to take in order to boost up. this yveltal set calso takes advantage of u turn and toxic excellently into bulkier team styles, letting it be a valuable pokemon even into matchups where a scarfed pokemon can struggle. i think this set is slept on quite a bit in the current meta. only eve spread that needs explaining is xern, as the hp is used to hit the 404 benchmark for better chansey MU into stoss and then the rest in physdef to maximize phys bulk to help with te previously mentioned priority issues
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexubers-2049703144
here is a set of it in action (not my best game but its the game i used this team so :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)