Project NeverUsed Teambuilding Competition [Building Period] [Round 10]

Status
Not open for further replies.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I think every team getting rated is pretty helpful, so even tho I submitted a team (and probably can't vote for myself, lol) I'll give my 2 cents on every team. I think right now is a pretty grim time for teambuilders, when it's impossible to cover everything and you just have to let it go and accept that you'll be weak to things.

Team 1: You are too focused on covering types and not enough on the actual threats, leading to serious structural concerns. This team aims to keep SR off the field with just Claydol. Given that CB Sneasel is a common, powerful Pursuit user, in practice it is nearly impossible for this team to keep the hazards off the field, which leads to a simple loss. That's a structural issue with the team that cannot be changed with simple fixes. With that out of the way, we have some simple set tweaks. That Torterra set is rather questionable, I would personally have liked to see EQ somewhere because STAB EQ is amazing. Lanturn probably needs some defensive EVs to eat a Magmortar EQ or something. Sawk would like to carry Knock Off. Vivillon would like to go timid, and Claydol would like some speed investment. Maybe with that Sneasel weakness, you might want Colbur + Stone Edge on that Claydol. As it is, you are also 6-0ed by Calm Mind Psychic types the moment Vivillon's sash gets broken.

Team 2: Solid team with minor weaknesses, and you did a good job identifying your weaknesses. No Magmortar is choiced unless you're on the ladder, don't be kidding yourself, and you are quite weak to it. Evire is less of a problem given that you have a physically defensive Audino. You should run a fair bit of speed on Xatu, as you are quite weak to offensive Garbo otherwise, which beats 3 of ur wincons 1v1 and 2hkos your pivots. Not sure if Pickpocket on Sneasel is better (inner focus lets you beat Kangas and stuff) Also not sure if AV on Lanturn is helping you tbh, given you already have a Gurdurr with a lot of SpDef, and Heal Bell makes Audino a lot more reliable, and extra physical defense on Lanturn would help. If you decide to keep AV on Lanturn, I think it would be to your benefit to run some offensive investment. AV Lanturn takes more damage from hazards and potential status (especially given your Fletch check is just Lanturn, lol) than from actual special attacks, 252/252+ SpDef is ab bit overboard, and damage comes in handy.

Team 3: I've used the Scyther / Magmortar / Sneasel offensive core, which is very good. But Prinplup is your only form of hazard removal. This is much, much more stable than the first team which has a lot of issues even spinning away rocks the first place vs Ghost-types. However, do remember that you'll be fighting an uphill battle against just about anything that requires you to use Prinplup defensively, such as Archeops Carracosta, etc, but you can pressure it down with U-turns if you have the initiative. At least you have a Torterra that lets your Prinplup not have to switch in vs. Rock-types, which lets you preserve your Prinplup for when you really need it. Good offensive team.

Team 4: The team struggles with certain attackers like Mawile, Cacturne, and other things that are a bit too powerful for the team to handle defensively, or have amazing type advantage over it. It is probably better to run more speed on Pawniard. The team also struggles with hazard control because Archeops isn't the most reliable defogger, and defogging with it often sacrifices Archeops for little progress. As with all teams submitted this round that has SR on Torterra but doesn't have a Sneasel, this team struggles to get SR up vs. conservatively played Xatu, especially Heat Wave variants, and struggles to make progress vs. Xatu + Lanturn + Dark-type + Non-Gallade Fighting type. Maybe Stone Edge > U-turn, and learning how to double switch might be better, OK team otherwise.

Team 5: Another solid bulky offense team that covers most of the meta, and doesn't actually have terrible set choices that makes me scratch my head. Standard but solid, I guess. Sorry rates are being short y now cuz im tired, maybe ill add more when I actually get to play with these lol.

Team 6: AV Magmortar with Will-O-Wisp doesn't work. Also not quite sold on Heal Bell defensive Granbull with no recovery options. Use EQ on Magmortar in order to beat Lanturn, Heal Bell Lanturn is probably more effective. It works otherwise, but I mean putting AV and utility moves together is such an elementary mistake...

Team 7: Cool Monferno set. But you might do better by using Special Mesprit. You are also really weak to shell smashers, and shit like Carracosta or Barbaracle with SR on the field will just end you, lol. Also use Blaze > Iron Fist given you have no fisting moves. Actually a lot of these teams are boned by Klinklang / Carracosta lol.

If i could vote, probably 2,3,or 5.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i cant be bothered to look at imports and read descriptions, but team 2 follows the current balance formula perfectly: Lanturn+Torterra+Xatu+Sneasel+Offensive Sneasel answer+Defensive Sneasel Answer so i guess it gets my vote. I'm p sure I know who's team it is, in which case I think some of the sets are suboptimal. just looking at synergy tho its by far the best team up there

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
This Is Fearsome wins this week with 6 votes, narrowly beating Brick Small. who had 5 votes! Special shoutouts to Marilli who both submitted a team and did amazing rates on the rest of them! Hopefully more people will post like this in the future.

Due to the suspect test, I am not going to post another core till the test is over, as many people have complained about building when so many teams have been forced into the same structure, which is not that great for creativity. If anyone actually wants to build in this meta, feel free to message me on PS, and if enough people show interest, I will post a core on Sunday.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
With the recent banning of BP, the mon for this week of the teambuilding competition is...

Combusken is the newest edition to the tier, and therefore I decided to see what creative teams and sets people would come up with for this new mon. With a great ability in Speed Boost, and a decently sized movepool Combusken will hopefully be fun to build around this week.
I am going to leave team submissions open till Sunday, and don't forget that you must PM me your team and description, not posting it in the thread.

Team Count: 3

Last edited:

shiloh

Tiering Lead
Sorry for the delay, will free all the teams tomorrow morning when I wake up. So if you have any last teams hurry up and submit them!

shiloh

Tiering Lead
Submission period is now over, and here are the teams!
Team 1

Helloooo Guuuuys :D, so now that combusken has dropped because of the BP nerf, I've decided to make a team around it. So of course I have combusken as a LO offensive attacker with baton pass, the reason why I have LO is because combusken doesn't have the best spa stat out there so to support its attacking moves I gave it LO, I have baton pass for pivot, if I don't need to stay in I can baton pass out hopefully with a speed boost on a switch or on a unfavorable match-up. Now for my walls I have chosen the core of Ferroseed and Lanturn. ferroseed is here to cover combuskens and lanturns weaknesses but also to provide t-wave support and Stealth rock support. Lanturn also, covers some of ferroseed and combuskens weaknesses and provides more pivot, heal bell, and multiple status support. Xatu provides magic bounce for hazards and more pivot and can cover fast pivots like scyther. Liepard is here to be able to encore walls or pokes that want to set-up and force them to switch with taunt, encore, and copycat for potential pivot and status moves with knock off as a strong stab. Golurk is a powerful wall breaker that can help cover our fighting weakness and can break through walls with its powerful attacks.
Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seed Bomb

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 20 SpA / 116 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Heat Wave

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 168 HP / 8 Atk / 92 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Copycat
- Knock Off

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Team 2

Combusken is a really powerful pokemon, and this team is built around the special set, which is the superior version imo. fire blast and focus blast hit very hard, although their accuracy is usually the primary cause of my losses, as they tend to miss at the worst possible moments. - i decided to add lo rott as a bp recipient. its coverage allows it to hit most of the tier super effectively. i use megahorn > taunt on this team bc i dont want to give ludicolo a free rain dance, as my team is pretty weak to it. - lilligant was added to complete the fwg core, and it adds a solid win con + water resist. - scarf mesprit is standard af and was added bc the team lacked speed and healing wish is a godsend for the three first pokemon. - my defensive core consists of rhydon and misdreavus. rhydon is the sdef variant with megahorn so malamar can't setup all over it, and missy is a very underrated mon that walls a lot in the tier the team is kind of weak to stuff like mantine (i could run coba + hp rock on lilligant to fix this problem) and mega audino (although taunt+wow+split on missy "deals" with it). klinklang can setup on a choice locked mesprit and wreck havoc if my defensive core is weakened enough as well. there are a lot of other threats, but they are manageable.
Combusken @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Megahorn

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 240 HP / 8 Def / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Signal Beam

Team 3

Rhydon (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Rhydon gets Stealth Rocks down and is really important to the team's synergy due to its ability to check a wide variety of Electric-, Flying-, and Normal-type Pokemon, it's definitely one of my go-to Stealth Rock Pokemon in the tier. The EVs are pretty straightforward, I wanted Jolly because if Combusken is able to get to +2 Speed and pass to a Pokemon that can't immediately threaten Rhydon, you are able to outpace Pyroar + any other Pokemon under it. The rest of the EVs are pretty straight forward, its Defense is great so the most I can do is patch up the Special Defense to the best of my ability, mainly for Fire Blasts / Shadow Balls from my experience with this team. Moveset has Stealth Rock, most important move in the game. And Swords Dance, not only does it help me set-up once I have a speed boost or two, but it helps me force Mega Audino out if it gets too troublesome.

Rotom-Fan @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Air Slash

I'd say honestly Rotom-Fan may be one of the most replaceable members on this team, but its ability to pressure a lot of common Pokemon allows him to end up on my team once again. Being the only Fighting-type resist on my team is slightly nice as well, but Rotom-Fan's ability to force switches and cause a lot of havoc really helps my team gel together. A lot of common Electric-type switchins don't enjoy Will-O-Wisp or Hidden Power Grass, and even being able to damage Lanturn the slightest bit, helps out a +2 Samurott as well. Will-O-Wisp also makes a lot of Pokemon fodder for Combusken, and if not fodder, usually they feel pressured to switch out into a bulky water or Rock/Ground, allowing me to Substitute or plain attack then Baton Pass, which helps a boatload.

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Although this isn't my favorite Lilligant set (Sub QD Petal Dance Powder), this is definitely the runner-up. I'm really not too worried about Fletchinder in this metagame, I feel it's a bit hard to pull off and I play Rhydon and Rotom-Fan smartly when someone has it (Since my Rotom-S set doesn't enjoy volting on a roosting Fletch, negating Flying-type). This is one of my favorite things to pass to from Combusken, obviously Lilligant isn't too slow but it allows me to Sleep Powder faster Pokemon without much setting up. I also think Lilligant is one of the best sweepers right now in Current NU, Hidden Power Fire also forces things like Garbodor / Weezing to switch-in, although the former is usually taken care of by Rhydon, putting Weezing to sleep can be important for Samurott, allowing a better sweep pathway.

Malamar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SDef / 120 Spd
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Probably the Pokemon with the biggest impact on NU Teambuilding right now, it has to be Malamar without a doubt. The 120 Speed EVs allow me to hit 212, allowing me to outpace anything truly threatening without a Scarf at +2. You can hit 212 Speed, allowing you to outspeed CM Uxie at +1 as well, just to be safe sometimes. This set basically forces teams to run Signal Beam Psychics, Scyther, or a Quagsire. Knowing this is why I kept a Rotom-S that deals with the latter two, and the Speed EVs can occasionally help against Uxie.

Samurott @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall

Probably one of my favorite sweepers right now, solely because it's incredibly underrated right now. The speed boost from Combusken can be really nice, since you're able to outspeed the Base 110s, namely Tauros which doesn't die to a +2 Jet because of it's decent physical defense. If you don't like that, you can run 40 HP since 216 still helps you outpace the 229s of the world, +speed Cacturne / Exeggutor. Although, Aurorus / no Spe Miltank are both things I'd rather appreciate not being messed by I guess. But yeah, Samurott right now is really underrated, a +2 Megahorn is able to do a huge chunk to Lanturn, and as previously said, Rotom-S allows me to annoy Lanturn to the point where after rocks, SD Samurott should usually be able to break through the Lanturn. But the best thing about Samurott is how it meshes so well with the sweeping of Lilligant and things of that nature. And the most importing part of this type of offense is having the sweepers mesh well.

Combusken @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

This man makes it all happen, realistically I could use a set that has Eviolite and some bulk to live certain hits from burnt Pokemon, but I really don't think it's all that necessary. I really like the raw power Combusken posses, I think 229 is a decent speed-mark to hit, and I've been really successful being able to predict when players will usually assume Protect and go into a counter from there. At +1, I'm outpacing Pokemon 342 and below, I previously had Modest but I think Timid overall is the best choice for this team. Being able to pass boosts to Malamar, Samurott, Lilligant, Rhydon, and Rotom-S is really nice to be able to do. And I honestly do think with the BP ban, Combusken is a really neat addition right now, and w/ the incoming drops, it'll be a fun metagame.

Look out for CM offensive Uxie, through my past experiences you can usually get away with checking it by saccing SD Samurott to it, but just make sure to play really intelligently around it.
http://pastebin.com/tQsnsK1p

VOTING IS NOW OPEN UNTIL SATURDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)