Monotype New Mechanics | An alternative Steel monotype team.

Deleted User 325563

Banned deucer.

Ladies and gentleman! Its Avenn here with a new Speed Control team. Since Gen 7 came up, I wasn’t able to play Trick Room Psychic anymore due the unreleased megas and so many Araquanids and Alolan Muks around which would make the building of it really painful. I decided to try Trick Room Steel. Kartana was perfect for the build since it was an awesome scarf and it helped with all the issues that TR has. But in due time, Kartana got banned and my team lost viability, so I just decided to move onto new sets and strategies. I tried Sandstorm Jirachi with Healing Wish into Sand Rush Choice Band (and LO after) Excadrill, to have a chance beating Gravity Ground and not get swept by the opposing Exca. The team was alright but Fire was just an unwinnable match, so after a few tries I ended running the following team with an unquestionable success. Are you ready? Let’s go!

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

So the main idea was building a Speed Control Steel after Kartana got banned. For the job, we needed to take advantage from our slow Pokémon and also be able to outspeed some others when Trick Room wasn’t up.

For the job of setting Trick Room up, the two best Pokémon are/were Jirachi and Magearna. Jirachi would work as a supporting Pokemon while Magearna would be a sweeper to help me beat Dragon, Flying, Water and Dark in most cases.

To take advantage from our Trick Room now I needed a slow mon that could hit hard but also give us defensive coverage: Heatran.

After adding it, I needed to compensate that Ground weakness. I had 2 immunity options (Skarmory and Celesteela), and since Skarmory works more as a hazard control and defensive wall Pokémon, I choosed Celesteela over it because I was searching for a more offensive one with a great movepool.

At the beginning I didn’t run a mega: all options seemed better to me than running Mega Scizor but I needed a physical wall that would be able to deal good damage at some point since our playstyle would be more offensive than defensive. Bulky defensive Mega Scizor is awesome and fits the team perfectly, giving us some neutral defensive damage against Fighting and Ground.

For the last Pokémon, I needed something that could work as a good scarfer and since Jirachi was needed for TR , I found Excadrill the best option for it, helping us outspeed Charizard Y and some other big threats to the team.

Now let’s get deeper into the sets!

THE TEAM

Here 4DaComeback (Jirachi) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Future Sight
- Healing Wish
- Trick Room

Description and role on the team:

So the basic job for Jirachi is to support one of our mons to sweep or get a few kills, setting TR for Heatran, Celesteela, Magearna or even Mega Scizor. As long as Jirachi lives, the team will be safe.

Item:

So as TR Steel suffers a lot against Sash and Life Orb Infernape (also Fire in general), Occa Berry Jirachi will help us live late game and heal our Heatran or any mon we need to get our advantage back and be able to win.

Ability:

Serene Grace, its only ability (We won’t take advantage of it this time)

Nature, EVs and IVs:

Relaxed Nature, 248 HP/252 Def and 8 SpD with 0 IVs on Attack and Speed. This spread lets Jirachi live one Earthquake hit from Scarf Excadrill and attack invested Mega Garchomp, as well as Fire Punch from Iron Fist Infernape on sun and a lot of fire hits in general:

(252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Occa Berry Jirachi in Sun: 195-230 (48.3 - 57%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO)

(252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jirachi: 242-288 (60 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

(252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jirachi: 288-342 (71.4 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

(252+ SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Occa Berry Jirachi in Sun: 340-402 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

Moveslot:

STEALTH ROCK: Rock Type hazards to break any Focus Sash; make a good amount of damage to Flying, Bug, Fire and Ice types; break Dragonite’s Multiscale… etc.

FUTURE SIGHT: This is the only damaging move Jirachi runs. I had U-Turn before, but poison seemed a really hard matchup for me mainly because of Mega Venusaur outspeeding everything with HP Fire, Leech Seed or Earthquake in some cases. Future Sight is amazing against Poison if we play it correctly and our opponent doesn’t expect it. Basically, we need to find the chance to use it and go Excadrill to get a kill (Crobat dies anyway if we go for EQ, Muk dies to EQ, Venu dies to FS and Quake on the same turn…)

HEALING WISH: Our healing move, perfect for a lot of situations.

TRICK ROOM: Trick Room allows Heatran, Celesteela and Magearna to take advantage of their slow speed against some matchups.

Distorted (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room

Magearna is our last Trick Room setter. Its role is to get kills against Dark, Flying, Water, Electric and Dragon mainly, knowing how to use it at the right moment.

Item:

I gave it Leftovers for longevity, which is pretty much needed against matchups like Electric since we need to get a good CM set up before sweeping.

Ability:

Soul-Heart, its only Ability and one of the reasons why Magearna is here.

Nature, EVs and IVs:

Relaxed Nature, 248 HP / 8 Def and 252 SpA with 0 IVs on Attack and Speed. I used modest time ago, but I realized It would be better having a bit of bulk instead of going all out since we need to take 1 hit before setting our TR.

Moveset:

DAZZLING GLEAM: The STAB move that our Magearna will use. Dazzling fits more than Fleur Cannon imo because we want to sit under TR and keep killing stuff, and set TR back again if we have the opportunity.

THUNDERBOLT: I used to run BoltBeam Magearna, it was amazing against Flying but not too good vs Water. I ended running TBolt over Ice Beam and Energy Ball since Celesteela already runs moves from both types.

CALM MIND: Calm Mind was the last change to my original Magearna. We can stall our own TR turns if our opponent doesn’t pressure us with his sacs (for example when theres 1 TR turn left and we don’t want to kill because we are safe), this way we can set TR back again. Basically, using Trick Room twice would do the same effect, but Calm Minding is a really better option.

TRICK ROOM: Finally, we will run Trick Room.

Cauldron (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Heatran is our Fire eater and our Steel Slayer too. As everyone knows, Heatran is the most important Pokémon on a Monotype Steel team and this set is a bit special as you will see.

Item:

I have tried a lot of items on my Heatran for this team (Specs, Flame Plate, Air Balloon, Leftovers…), but none worked as good as Shuca. The team wasn’t able to beat Steel because Jirachi and Magearna suffered a lot against opposing Heatrans, Excadrills… and basically, the mind game with Heatran under TR was really painful. To have a better chance on that situation, I found Shuca better than Balloon since all I need to do is keep my Heatran healthy and win after I knock the opposing Balloon off. It’s also awesome against HP Ground Volcaronas who think they win lategame.

Ability:

Flash Fire (Do I need to explain it…?)

Nature, EVs and IVs:

Quiet Nature, 200HP / 252 SpA and 56 SpD with 0 IVs on Speed. This set takes Heatran to 143 Speed, and lets us bring our Heatran to 50% before taking Earth Power damage if we are facing a SpD Heatran (56 if we facing a Timid one with SpA investment).

Moveset:

SUBSTITUTE: I didn’t really want to run Sub Heatran, but at some point I realized that it was perfect for some matchups such as Fire and Steel. Once we get a substitute up against Steel, the opposing Heatran will be most likely dead since the opponent will fall on our trap.

STONE EDGE: Stone MISS to have the chance of KOing Quiver Dance HP Ground Volcarona and Charizard Y.

FLAMETHROWER: Our STAB move. I went FThrower over Lava Plume because what I want is to hit safely and harder as possible, so I don’t really care about getting a burn.

EARTH POWER: To hit Heatran mainly and Fire types.

SkyMightFall (Celesteela) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Celesteela is not only our Ground Immunity, but also a Bulky Sweeper and a SpD wall. Keeping Celesteela healthy when facing Gravity Ground is primordial. HP Ice hits Landorus, Gliscor and Flying types in general while Giga Drain hits Water, Ground, Rock types. On the other hand we have Earthquake and Flamethrower to hit Steel and poison. I have been thinking about replacing Earthquake with Air Slash since Mega Venusaur can be really hard to kill, but I don’t like getting walled when facing Heatran and needing to sac something.

Item:

Assault Vest gives insane SpD bulk to Celesteela, while this spread makes it less passive and able to take hits on Physical Defense as well.

Ability:

Beast Boost, which will raise our SpA. We will be able to gain more health from Giga Drain after that, which means longevity and also instantly makes Celesteela a fearing threat.

Nature, EVs and IVs:

Quiet Nature, 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 SpD Evs. I kept all the IVs because Celesteela is slow already with this Nature and I also want to be faster than nonspeed-invested Azumarills. Talking about the EVs, we can take one hit after Rocks from Timid LO Gravity Landorus’ Earth Power and we have a good chance to OHKO it in return (unless its –SpD):

(252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 192 HP / 64 SpD Assault Vest Celesteela: 283-335 (73.8 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

(252+ SpA Celesteela Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 304-360 (95.2 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO)

Moveset:

HP ICE: To hit Flying types, mainly Landorus and Gliscor

GIGA DRAIN: We need to kill Ground/Water types in some way, therefor we will use this Grass move. It also gives longevity.

EARTHQUAKE: Lets us not get walled by Heatran, and also deals some damage to Poison Types.

FLAMETHROWER: To hit Bug, Steel and anything annoying that can’t pass through us.

Skarm 2.0 (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 128 HP / 248 Def / 132 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Defensive Mega Scizor, this thing is amazing… Bulkier than Skarmory but only with one weakness, a big one tho… This thing doesn’t like fire so that’s why I invested on some Speed, to be able to outspeed opposing Mega Venusaurs that carry HP Fire after we used SD. Basically, this is our Physical Wall: Takes hits forever and its able to cripple with SD and priority boosted STAB.

Item:

Scizorite

Ability:

Technician

Nature, EVs and IVs:

Impish Nature, with 128 HP / 248 Def / 132 Spe EVs. We outspeed any possible Jolly or Timid 50s base speed tier. The EVs are setup to let Scizor become an awesome physical wall, but be carefull with HP Fire.

Moveslot:

BULLET PUNCH: Steel STAB move with priority and Technician boost as well. Scizor’s main move.

BUG BITE: Bug Bite is its secondary STAB move, which hits Dark and Psychic and also does a good amount to Alolan Muk and Mega Venusaur after a SD.

SWORDS DANCE: Allows Mega Scizor to become insanely powerful, moving from a Physical Wall to a Physical Sweeper real quick.

ROOST: Recover for our Defensive uses.

Banter (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

So many people asked me why I was using Sand Rush on Steel… Well, the answer is pretty simple: THIS ISN’T A COMMON STEEL. It has its own needs and if you can’t understand that, then good morning Sir! Scarf Adamant Excadrill has good power to hit Poison types such as Mega Venusaur and Toxapex while it also helps against Fire. I really didn’t want to run Choice Scarf with Sand Rush because it’s kinda a waste of an item or ability, but I have my reasons which I will explain below.

Item:

Choice Scarf. Gives a lot of help against the Fire matchup and some others as well.

Ability:

Sand Rush. The reason here is that Landorus might get up his Gravity at some point: No, I’m not into that, no thank you! Scarf Sand Rush Excadrill usually kills the opposing Excadrill since some people automatically think its Mold Breaker and don’t pay attention at all. So after sacking something, our Excadrill might at least force the Banded Excadrill to switch out. No need to say that it helps vs Rock after Tyranitar shows as well.

Nature, EVs and IVs:

Adamant Nature, with 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Evs. I think I explained all above.

Moveslot:

EARTHQUAKE: Excadrill’s strongest STAB move, hits both Fire and Poison, matchups were Excadrill needs to put a lot of work.

IRON HEAD: Its secondary STAB move, it helps against Fairy if we pair it with Scizor.

ROCK SLIDE: This helps a lot against Flying Pokémon that predict an Earthquake incoming. It also checks Charizard Y.

RAPID SPIN: Hazard removal.

COMMON THREATS:

I’ll type the common threats against each type, but keep in mind that not all of them will appear here since the list might be too long:

Fire:

-Life Orb/Sash Infernape (Fighting as well): This thing can be a pain for Steel to deal with: Fire and Fighting STAB with priority STAB as well… Usually we will sac something to it in the best case. Jirachi can help with, tho keeping our Occa would be primordial for us until late game in the Fire matchup

-Charizard X: This thing can really take down all the team if its Fire STAB + EQ.

Some mentions: Charizard Y, Volcanion

Water:

-Moxie SSkystrike Gyarados (Flying as well): Mega Gyarados is usually easier since Mega Scizor wins in 1v1 unless crit or flinch, but we need to force him to mega first. Z Move Gyarados is a different story: Scizor can’t really beat it since resists our both moves, and if he got the moxie boost at some point, it will deal more damage than what we do in return. If you see this Gyarados at some point, you gotta play really carefully since it also carries EQ.

Some mentions: Swampert, Suicune, Manaphy

Bug:

-Substitute Bulk Up Buzzwole (Fighting as well): If this thing runs Hammer Arm, you might have a chance. If its Focus Punch with EQ, just click X. We gotta rely on Celesteela’s fire move to beat it usually, along with Magearna.

Some mentions: Araquanid, Mega Pinsir, Moxie Heracross

Normal:

-Life Orb Diggersby: Basically a mind game decides if we win or lose against it.

-Eviolite Core: Need to expect some lucky flinches or find the correct moment to set up with Scizor, always depending on Pory2’s set.

-Z Ghost Porygon-Z: This Pory can win lategame. Gotta keep our Magearna healthy for it.

Ground:

-Gravity Landorus (Not common on Flying): If we don’t knock it out quick, we might end up losing against ground, which usually an easy matchup due to Celesteela’s set.

Some mentions: Swords Dance Mega Garchomp

Electric :

-Magnet Pull Magnezone (Steel as well): While Zapdos and Rotom are usually not a problem for Magearna, MP Magnezone can be really hard to knock out since Excadrill can’t put all the work we need against Electric.

Some mentions: Zapdos, Rotom-W, MP Alolan Golem

Dragon:

-Life Orb Hydreigon (Dark as well): Awesome movepool, we usually will need to exchange our Heatran to make some damage on it and let Excadrill or Scizor revenge kill in the best case scenario.

Some mentions: DD Dragonite, Kommo-o

Grass:

-Breloom: Spore, Life Orb, Sash, Swords Dance and Match Punch... Scizor usually beats it 1v1, but we gotta keep him healthy and let it put asleep some other of our Pokémon.

Some mentions: Mega Venusaur, LO Ludicolo

Flying:

-SpD Gliscor and its core: I couldn’t find a good way to beat this thing yet... it wasn’t a problem when I ran BoltBeam Magearna, but now that I use it to help vs Water, SpD Gliscor is really hard to beat unless we manage to beat Skarmory or Mantine.

Some mentions: Charizard Y

Poison:

-Bulky Mega Venusaur: There are ways to beat it, but usually takes a lot of time and also a bit of luck on our part.

Some mentions: SD LO Scolipede

Fighting:

-Substitute Calm Mind Keldeo: If we let him set up, we won’t be able to comeback.

Some mentions: Buzzwole, Bulk Up Conkeldurr

Ghost:

-Alolan Marowak: This thing won’t allow us to play TR when we need it, tho Ghost is usually slow, and it can beat all our team if we choke.

Some mentions: Golurk, Chandelure

Fairy:

-Z Drum Azumarill: Its not an autolose, but we gotta keep our Scizor healthy.

Some mentions: Aura S-Fire move Togekiss, CM Fini

Psychic:

-Victini: Dead Heatran = GG.

Some mentions: Mega Alakazam, Medicham, Gallade

Dark:

-LO Hydreigon: Yeah, I explained it before. Usually Dark is an “easy” matchup with TR Magearna, still we gotta find the right moment to set up and LO Hydreigon can hurt badly our team.

Some mentions: LO Krookodile

Rock:

-WPolicy Rhyperior: Not many threats on Rock because Excadrill and Scizor usually win with ease, but Rhyperior can be really hard since we cant hit it with Special moves.

Some mentions: Shell Smash Omastar

Steel:

-Balloon Heatran: Yeah not much to say about the most common Heatran. As long as you knock it down, and don’t get your Heatran revenge killed by Magnezone, you win.

Some mentions: Celesteela, Lucario

Ice:

-Not choiced Kyurem Black and LO Mamoswine: These are the biggest threats when playing Ice, but usually its a really easy matchup as we all know.

Some mentions: I don’t see any by now.

Peaks with the Team:

I have played in a lot of alts with the team (Metal Skills, Valiant Avenn, Playing to RMT...), but since I kept changing stuff, the 2 fresh alts that I used with the current team are these ones:

Team Importable
Here 4DaComeback (Jirachi) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Future Sight
- Healing Wish
- Trick Room

Distorted (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room

Cauldron (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

SkyMightFall (Celesteela) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Skarm 2.0 (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 128 HP / 248 Def / 132 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Banter (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Replays:

Thank you all for reading, I hope you have fun with the team and get good results as well!
Special thanks to KGBanter, 1 True Lycan, TheOfficialVodoom and The Excadrill for helping me with some stuff.

Update: This team is no longer playable in USUM Monotype due to Magearna not being allowed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)