NU Ninjask

Overview
########

Ninjask is a mixed bag of tricks. On one hand, it has a good ability in Speed Boost, access to both Swords Dance and Baton Pass, and a blazing base 160 Speed, making it the ideal Baton Passer in NU. On the other hand, it is the literal definition of Taunt bait, and it is extremely frail, making it hard to find free turns for it to use Swords Dance. Alongside this, Ninjask can be shut down in other ways apart from Taunt, such as Stealth Rock or phazing, all of which can be found within the tier.

Baton Pass
########
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Protect
move 4: Swords Dance / X-Scissor
ability: Speed Boost
item: Leftovers / Mental Herb
evs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Protect stalls for a turn, which gives Ninjask a free boost to its Speed thanks to its ability, Speed Boost. Substitute also allows for protection for a turn, and can be passed along with Baton Pass. Swords Dance is used not to boost Ninjask's power, but to pass the boost along with Baton Pass. Baton Pass is the most important move on the set, as it passes along the Attack and Speed boosts that Ninjask gains. X-Scissor can be used over Baton Pass to stop Ninjask from being Taunt bait, although it will not be doing much damage and Ninjask can simply switch out.

Set Details
========

Speed Boost is the ability of choice because it is the only reason that Ninjask has a niche in the metagame, as it synergizes well with Baton Pass. 36 Speed EVs allow Ninjask to outspeed Jolly Swellow at +1 Speed. 220 Defense EVs and an Impish nature boost Ninjask's Defense by a lot, while 248 HP EVs are dropped into bulk, which allows Ninjask to switch into Stealth Rock twice. Leftovers provides passive recovery from Substitute. A Mental Herb stops Ninjask from being Taunt bait, but is less needed as Ninjask outspeeds all Taunt users. However, it allows Ninjask to set up a Substitute and accumulate more Speed boosts.

Usage Tips
========

The combination of Substitute + Protect can make for many free turns, each giving a free boost to Speed. Ninjask is best used as a lead, as while opposing Pokemon may set up hazards, Ninjask can find a free turn to use Swords Dance. If this is not the case, Ninjask should only use Swords Dance when behind a Substitute. Baton Pass should be used whenever Ninjask has accumulated enough boosts, although it is recommended to Baton Pass once it has reached +2 Attack and +2 Speed.

Team Options
========

Slower offensive recipients such as Samurott, Kangaskhan, Electivire, Feraligatr, Golurk, and Pangoro can all take advantage of either the Attack or Speed boosts, making them good partners. Defog or Rapid Spin support from Pokemon such as Togetic or Sandslash are great, as Ninjask can then switch in multiple times to use Baton Pass without worrying about Stealth Rock.

Other Options
########

Ninjask really should not be using anything apart from its Baton Pass set, as all of its other options are easily outclassed by that set. A Choice Band or Life Orb Infiltrator set can be used, but Ninjask lacks the movepool to use it effectively. A Swords Dance set can be used, but Ninjask is too frail to set up without a Substitute. Flash is a very niche option to lower the opponent's accuracy, potentially allowing for more free turns for Ninjask.

Checks and Counters
########

**Taunt** Ninjask usually outspeeds most Taunt users, but if it ever finds itself Taunted, it is instantly rendered useless as it cannot use any of its moves. Taunt also limits Ninjask to passing only one Speed Boost, unless a Mental Herb is being held.

**Phazing** Roar and Whirlwind can break through Substitute and hit through Protect. These moves cause Ninjask to lose all of its boosts. Haze also removes all of Ninjask's boosts.

**Strong STAB Attacks** As Ninjask is extremely frail, any strong STAB attack will easily OHKO it. These attacks are also a threat to the recipient, as Ninjask usually finds itself passing boosts before the opponent attacks.

**Trick Room** Trick Room makes Ninjask move last, making it harder for it to set up effectively.

**Stealth Rock** Stealth Rock takes half of Ninjask's health away, which is bad for Ninjask as it finds itself switching out often.

** Multi-hit Moves** Users of these type of moves, such as Rhydon, can break its Substitute and hit Ninjask very hard afterwards.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mysteria

I don't think Ninjask needs to run Max Speed Jolly, maybe give it enough Speed EVs to outspeed Choice Scarf Tauros at +1? I would also give it 248 HP EVs so that it doesn't die to two Stealth Rock switch in, and I would slash Mental Herb with Leftovers on the set so that Taunt doesn't stop Ninjask from doing its job.

Do this and I will check later!

Mysteria

I don't think Ninjask needs to run Max Speed Jolly, maybe give it enough Speed EVs to outspeed Choice Scarf Tauros at +1? I would also give it 248 HP EVs so that it doesn't die to two Stealth Rock switch in, and I would slash Mental Herb with Leftovers on the set so that Taunt doesn't stop Ninjask from doing its job.

Do this and I will check later!
I already had Mental Herb in set details, glad I was prepared for it :) There are no EVs that outspeed Choice Scarf Tauros at +1, so I put enough to outspeed Jolly Swellow. I changed the HP EVs too :) Could you please check this again?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is the purpose of outpacing Jolly Swellow before a boost, may I ask? Just out of curiosity more than anything.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Substitute is too important a move to not get a main moveslot. Sub is quite important as it allows Ninjask to accumulate Speed boosts while shielding itself from attacks, and without sub Ninjask can only safely pass +1 Speed at most which isn't enough for slowmons.

I'm thinking the set should be: Baton Pass / Sub / Protect / SD | X-Scissor

Under set details you sound like you're underestimating Mental Herb; it's true that Ninjask outspeeds all Taunt users, but it also means Ninjask can pass Subs and more speed boosts as opposed to just +1 Speed that Taunt would limit it to

Add in OO that Scyther does better than most offensive sets

Add Flash to OO, it's a slightly less useless filler while hiding behind subs

You can probably mention why Sash + SD isn't used in OO

Add multi-hit users to checks and counters

When you mention Taunt, say that it limits Ninjask to only 1 Speed boost unless it runs Mental Herb, which is why it's decent at stopping Ninjask

When you mention phazing, also mention that Roar and WW hit through Protect

When mentioning strong STAB attacks, also mention that if Ninjask passes its boosts, these attacks can harm the recipient quite a lot given that Ninjask is pretty fast and all

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Taunt is slightly wrong in checks and counters; it only limits to 1 Speed boost unless it carries Mental Herb

Also, I think SD / X-Scissor should be moved to the fourth slot, simply because Sub and Protect are really important to ensure that Ninjask successfully passes a few speed boosts. If there's a good reason SD / X-Scissor is up there I'd like to hear it.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Under team options some of your recipients seem a bit weird to me, Dragalge, Granbull, Electivire, Golurk, and Pangoro arent things I would think to pass to. Especially Dragalge and Granbull, I could see the other 3 working decently well as they have pretty good bulk, Dragalge not as much mainly because offensive variant is already so bulky and forces switches, and I probably think of Granbull in the defensive sense since I think its better. Add in Kanga as he is by far one of the best recipients of +2 +2.

Add in Haze in C&C to Phazing

[QC 2/3]

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh I forgot to tell you to give some options of rapid spinners and defoggers under team options.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ask and ye shall receive.
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
########

Ninjask is a mixed bag of tricks. On the one hand, it has a good ability in Speed Boost, access to both Swords Dance and Baton Pass, and a blazing base 160 base Speed, making it the ideal Baton Passer in NU. On the other hand, it is the literal definition of Taunt bait, and it is extremely frail, making it hard to find free turns for it to use Swords Dance. Alongside this, Ninjask can be shut down in other ways apart from Taunt, such as Stealth Rock or phazing, all of which are can be found within the tier.

Baton Pass
########

Moves
========

Protect stalls for a turn, which gives Ninjask a free boost to its Speed because of thanks to its ability. Substitute also allows for protection for a turn, and can be passed along with Baton Pass. Swords Dance is used not for the power, but to be passed along with Baton Pass. Baton Pass is the most important move on the set, as it passes along the Attack and Speed boosts that Ninjask gains. X-Scissor can be used over Baton Pass to stop Ninjask from being Taunt bait, although it will not be doing much damage and Ninjask can simply switch out.

Set Details
========

Speed Boost is the ability because it is the only reason that Ninjask has a main niche in the metagame, as it synergizes well with Baton Pass because it adds a boost to Speed each turn (obvious). 36 Speed EVs allow Ninjask to outspeed Jolly Swellow after at +1 Speed. 220 Defense EVs and an Impish Nature boost Ninjask's Defense by a lot, while 248 HP EVs are dropped into bulk, as well as allowing which allows Ninjask to switch into Stealth Rock three times twice. Leftovers provides passive recovery from Substitute. A Mental Herb stops Ninjask from being Taunt bait, but is less needed as Ninjask outspeeds all Taunt users. However, it allows Ninjask to set up a Substitute and accumulate more Speed Boosts.

Usage Tips
========

The combination of Substitute + Protect can make for many free turns, each giving a free boost to Speed. Ninjask is best used as a lead, as while opposing Pokemon may set up Hazards hazards and such, Ninjask can find a free turn to use Swords Dance. If this is not the case, Ninjask should only use Swords Dance when behind a Substitute. Baton Pass should be used whenever Ninjask has accumulated enough boosts, although it is recommended to Baton Pass once you it has reached +2 Attack and +2 Speed.

Team Options
========

Slower offensive recipients such as Samurott, Kangaskhan, Electivire, Feraligatr, Golurk, and Pangoro can all take advantage of either the Attack or Speed boosts, making them good partners. Defog or Rapid Spin support from Pokemon such as Togetic and or Sandslash are great, as Ninjask can then switch in multiple times to Baton Pass without worrying about Stealth Rock.

Other Options
########

Ninjask really should not be using anything apart from its Baton Pass strategy set, as all of its other options are easily outclassed by its Baton Pass set it. A Choice Band or Life Orb Infiltrator set can be used, but Ninjask lacks the movepool to use it effectively. A Swords Dance set can be used, but Ninjask is too frail to set up without a Substitute. Flash is a very niche option, but lowers to lower the opponents opponent's accuracy, potentially allowing for potentially more free turns for Ninjask.

Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt** Ninjask usually outspeeds most Taunt users, but if it ever finds itself Taunted, it is instantly rendered useless as it can not make cannot use of anything any of its moves. Taunt also limits Ninjask to passing only one Speed Boost unless a Mental Herb is being held.

**Phazing** Roar and Whirlwind can break through a Substitute as well Roar and Whirlwind being able to and hit through Protect. These cause Ninjask to lose all of its boosts. Haze also removes all of Ninjask's boosts.

**Strong STAB Attacks** Since Ninjask is extremely frail, any strong STAB attack will easily OHKO it. These are also a threat to the recipient, as Ninjask usually finds itself passing boosts first.

**Trick Room** Trick Room makes Ninjask move last, making it hard for it to set up effectively.

**Stealth Rock** Stealth Rock takes half of Ninjask's health away, which is bad for Ninjask as Ninjask it finds itself switching out often.

**Multi-hitting moves Multi-Hitting Moves** Users of these type of moves, such as Rhydon, can break a substitute Substitute and hit Ninjask very hard afterwards.

GP approved 1/2

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Ninjask is a mixed bag of tricks. On the one hand, it has a good ability in Speed Boost, access to both Swords Dance and Baton Pass, and a blazing base 160 Speed, making it the ideal Baton Passer in NU. On the other hand, it is the literal definition of Taunt bait, and it is extremely frail, making it hard to find free turns for it to use Swords Dance. Alongside this, Ninjask can be shut down in other ways apart from Taunt, such as Stealth Rock or and phazing, all both (unless you mean 'ways apart from Taunt to take down Ninjask') of which can be found within the tier.

Baton Pass
########

Moves
========

Baton Pass is the most important move on the set, as it passes along the Attack and Speed boosts that Ninjask gains. Protect stalls for a turn, which givinges Ninjask a free boost to its Speed thanks to its ability. Substitute also allows for protection for a turn, and can it be passed along with boosts Baton Pass. Swords Dance is used not for power, but to be passed along with Baton Pass. Baton Pass is the most important move on the set, as it passes along the Attack and Speed boosts that Ninjask gains. X-Scissor can be used over Baton Pass Swords Dance to stop Ninjask from being Taunt bait, although it will not be doing much damage and Ninjask can simply switch out of Taunt.

Set Details
========

Speed Boost is the ability because it is the only reason that Ninjask has a niche in the metagame, as it synergizes well with Baton Pass. 36 Speed EVs allow +1 Ninjask to outspeed Jolly Swellow at +1 Speed. 220 Defense EVs and an Impish Nature boost Ninjask's Defense by a lot, while 248 HP EVs are dropped into bulk, which allows Ninjask to switch into Stealth Rock twice. Leftovers provides passive recovery from Substitute damage. A Mental Herb stops Ninjask from being Taunt bait, but is less needed as Ninjask outspeeds all Taunt users. However, it Mental Herb allows Ninjask to set up a Substitute after Mental Herb stops Taunt and accumulate more Speed boosts.

Usage Tips
========

The combination of Substitute + Protect can make for many free turns, each giving a free boost to Speed. Ninjask is best used as a lead, as while opposing Pokemon may set up hazards and such, Ninjask can find a free turn to use Swords Dance. If this is not the case, Ninjask should only use Swords Dance when behind a Substitute. Baton Pass should be used whenever Ninjask has accumulated enough boosts, although it is recommended to Baton Pass once it has reached +2 Attack and +2 Speed.

Team Options
========

Slower offensive recipients such as Samurott, Kangaskhan, Electivire, Feraligatr, Golurk, and Pangoro can all take advantage of either the Attack or Speed boosts, making them good partners. Defog or Rapid Spin support from Pokemon such as Togetic or Sandslash are is great, as Ninjask can then switch in and Baton Pass multiple times to Baton Pass without worrying about Stealth Rock.

Other Options
########

Ninjask really should not be using anything apart from its Baton Pass set, as all of its other options are easily outclassed by that set it. A Choice Band or Life Orb Infiltrator set can be used, but Ninjask lacks the movepool to use it those items effectively. A Swords Dance set can be used, but Ninjask is too frail to set up without a Substitute. Flash is a very niche option to lower the opponent's accuracy, potentially allowing for more free turns for Ninjask.

Checks & Counters
########
(there should be colons after each item)
**Taunt**: Ninjask usually outspeeds most Taunt users, but if it ever finds itself Taunted, it is instantly rendered useless as it cannot use any of its moves. Taunt also limits Ninjask to passing only one Speed boost unless a Mental Herb is being held.

**Phazing**: Roar and Whirlwind can break hit through Substitute and hit through Protect. These and cause Ninjask to lose all of its boosts. Haze also removes all of Ninjask's boosts.

**Strong STAB Attacks**: Since Ninjask is extremely frail, any strong STAB attack will easily OHKO it. These are also a threat to the recipient, as Ninjask usually finds itself passing boosts first.

**Trick Room**: Trick Room makes Ninjask move last, making it hard for it to set up effectively.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock takes half of Ninjask's health away, which is bad for Ninjask as it Ninjask finds itself switching out often.

**(remove space)Multi-hitting Moves**: Users of these Pokemon that use this type of moves, such as Rhydon, can break a Substitute and hit Ninjask very hard afterwards.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Ninjask is a mixed bag of tricks. On the one hand, it has a good ability in Speed Boost, access to both Swords Dance and Baton Pass, and a blazing base 160 Speed, making it the ideal Baton Passer in NU. On the other hand, it is the literal definition of Taunt bait, and it is extremely frail, making it hard to find free turns for it to use Swords Dance. Alongside this, Ninjask can be shut down in other ways apart from Taunt, such as Stealth Rock or phazing, all of which can be found within the tier.
Baton Pass
########
Moves
========
Protect stalls for a turn, which gives Ninjask a free boost to its Speed thanks to its ability, Speed Boost. Substitute also allows for protection for a turn, and can be passed along with Baton Pass. Swords Dance is used not forto boost Ninjask's power, but to be passed the boost along with Baton Pass. Baton Pass is the most important move on the set, as it passes along the Attack and Speed boosts that Ninjask gains. X-Scissor can be used over Baton Pass to stop Ninjask from being Taunt bait, although it will not be doing much damage and Ninjask can simply switch out.
Set Details
========
Speed Boost is the ability of choice because it is the only reason that Ninjask has a niche in the metagame, as it synergizes well with Baton Pass. 36 Speed EVs allow Ninjask to outspeed Jolly Swellow at +1 Speed. 220 Defense EVs and an Impish Nnature boost Ninjask's Defense by a lot, while 248 HP EVs are dropped into bulk, which allows Ninjask to switch into Stealth Rock twice. Leftovers provides passive recovery from Substitute. A Mental Herb stops Ninjask from being Taunt bait, but is less needed as Ninjask outspeeds all Taunt users. However, it allows Ninjask to set up a Substitute and accumulate more Speed Bboosts.
Usage Tips
========
The combination of Substitute + Protect can make for many free turns, each giving a free boost to Speed. Ninjask is best used as a lead, as while opposing Pokemon may set up hazards and such, Ninjask can find a free turn to use Swords Dance. If this is not the case, Ninjask should only use Swords Dance when behind a Substitute. Baton Pass should be used whenever Ninjask has accumulated enough boosts, although it is recommended to Baton Pass once it has reached +2 Attack and +2 Speed.
Team Options
========
Slower offensive recipients such as Samurott, Kangaskhan, Electivire, Feraligatr, Golurk, and Pangoro can all take advantage of either the Attack or Speed boosts, making them good partners. Defog or Rapid Spin support from Pokemon such as Togetic or Sandslash are great, as Ninjask can then switch in multiple times to use Baton Pass without worrying about Stealth Rock.
Other Options
########
Ninjask really should not be using anything apart from its Baton Pass set, as all of its other options are easily outclassed by ithat set. A Choice Band or Life Orb Infiltrator set can be used, but Ninjask lacks the movepool to use it effectively. A Swords Dance set can be used, but Ninjask is too frail to set up without a Substitute. Flash is a very niche option to lower the opponent's accuracy, potentially allowing for more free turns for Ninjask.
Checks & Counters
########
**Taunt** Ninjask usually outspeeds most Taunt users, but if it ever finds itself Taunted, it is instantly rendered useless as it cannot use any of its moves. Taunt also limits Ninjask to passing only one Speed Boost, unless a Mental Herb is being held.
**Phazing** Roar and Whirlwind can break through Substitute and hit through Protect. These moves cause Ninjask to lose all of its boosts. Haze also removes all of Ninjask's boosts.
**Strong STAB Attacks** SinceAs Ninjask is extremely frail, any strong STAB attack will easily OHKO it. These attacks are also a threat to the recipient, as Ninjask usually finds itself passing boosts firstbefore the opponent attacks.
**Trick Room** Trick Room makes Ninjask move last, making it harder for it to set up effectively.
**Stealth Rock** Stealth Rock takes half of Ninjask's health away, which is bad for Ninjask as it finds itself switching out often.
** Multi-Hhitting Moves** Users of these type of moves, such as Rhydon, can break aits Substitute and hit Ninjask very hard afterwards.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)