ORAS UU No Problem (Strong Bear TailRoom)

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Song

Hey everybody, YABO here again with another interesting team that I've built. I came up with this team over a year ago and it has displayed tremendous resilience to meta shifts, allowing me to easily obtain voting requirements in the last several suspect tests. As such, I am deciding to share it here. The basic premise of the team is simple, utilize powerful wallbreakers under speed control effects to simultaneously break through and sweep teams. I believe this very simple idea is why the team functions similarly in every metagame since its creation. This team focuses on what it does well, regardless of what your opponent is trying to do and that is where its consistency arises from.

Teambuilding
I don't remember the exact reason I decided to build around Ursaring but I think my basic throught process was "Holy shit, 130 atk + STAB guts facade, that's fucking broken". Or something like that at least.
So despite Ursaring's clearly broken qualities in its insane power, it's still slow as shit. To remedy this, I added a Tailwind core. It's also rather convenient that Crobat and Whimsicott make up 2/3 of one of my favorite splashable backbones in the tier, which led to my next addition.
Swampert is an easy add here as it does several things for the team. Provides a much needed Entei and Aero soak, sets up rocks, delays bulky setup mons, and just generally takes hits that you need it to. An electric immunity also does wonders for any sort of matchup vs volt turn.
When I was looking at what I had so far more in depth I started thinking about Ursaring and how to get the max value out of it. I realized that under Tailwind, it outspeeds nearly everything it needs to but without it it outspeeds almost nothing. Therefore, it also benefits greatly from Trick Room. So, I decided to tack on Reuniclus to really add some spice to the team and give it a unique flavor.
Finally, I added Kyurem as a water resist, another nuke that benefits from Tailwind, and in general because it's just a beast that deserves some recognition.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Ursaring is the stuff of legends. A pokemon that can threaten Cresselia without Super Effective STAB, and nearly one shot every fat mon in UU. It 2hkos, Empoleon with Facade, it ohkos Florges and Sylveon, it one shots Cobalion with CC, and nearly 2hkos Doublade with Crunch. In two words, it's simply Strong Bear. Everything is afraid, nothing is safe. In terms of the actual set, SD because sometimes its pretty useful, Fire Punch is likely a good option because Forretress is actually really annoying for this team to face. However, the thought of a +2 Facade OHKOing a Cresselia is just too much for me to pass up so I will stick to SD for now. Ursaring hits 209 Speed and shares a base speed with Machamp, which causes Suicune to normally speed creep you. This is rather unfortunate but can be exploited under Trick Room during the right scenarios. Take note that Ursaring under Tailwind does NOT outspeed Mega Aerodactyl and as such doesn't outspeed scarfers. Ursaring is strong as hell so be sure to try to get it statused and double into it often to fire off insanely strong hits. Normally, you don't have to predict too often but vs pokemon like Doublade and Cobalion, you can safely predict them as people blindly switch them in a lot.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- U-turn

This is where the team really starts to get interesting. As I mentioned before, Ursaring is slow as shit. Luckily, one of my favorite pokemon to use in this tier just happens to have access to priority Tailwind. Ursaring truly shines under Tailwind, only getting outsped by things that hit 419 speed, so only really scarfers and the dangerous megas in the tier. Now, despite my terrible experiences on the ladder where people fearlessly leave in their important donphans, swamperts, and rhyperiors versus this thing, I still refuse to put a grass move anywhere on this set. Encore is far too important to pass up, being able to delay nearly every set up sweeper, and stop many utility pokemon in their tracks. It also provides a lot of outs in tricky endgame situations where it may look difficult to pull out a win. Moonblast basically makes Whimsicott my sole dragon answer, which is the only real gripe I have with this team after all this time. Tailwind obviously benefits the highly dangerous wallbreakers on the team. Now, I just want to take a second to point out that Tailwind can be useful for more than just Kyurem and Ursaring. I once used Tailwind to allow my Swampert to outspeed an Entei late game to avoid the chip damage that he needed. I tried to do the same thing with my Reuniclus but doubling less than 60 speed doesn't really let you outspeed too much. U-turn is also insanely important to get just a bit of chip on certain things and to maintain momentum throughout the game.

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Tailwind

Crobat provides so much for the team. A semi wallbreaker, reliable fairy check, ground immunity, solid fighting resist, momentum grabber, and tailwind setter all in one. It's quite honestly a perfect fit for this team. There isn't too much to say about Crobat other than that. Spam Brave Bird early and often as teams seem to always slack on Flying resists. Crobat is also a great cleaner under Whimsicott's Tailwind provided the situation is right. You'll notice that recurring theme again and again. This team thrives at finding ways to win and is very flexible yet simple at the same time.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Ya I don't have a mega, so what? Wanna fight bro? Anyways, while making this rmt I actually noticed a slight flaw that was advantageous to me in a couple choice scenarios. My Swampert up until this point was actually Impish. What this gave me was a way to outspeed pokemon like Lucario and Entei under Tailwind. After noticing this mistake I obviously want to correct my error but then I lose out on one of the cool possibilities for the team. I'm contemplating switching to the ev spread listed here as it will let me outspeed Entei under Tailwind but losing out on even a modicum of bulk may be unwise as Swampert gets insanely pressured on this team. Anyways, Swampert is my go to tank for the most part. I just throw it at pretty much everything and hope to come out on top. Aero, Entei, Blade, Cresselia, etc. It's ability to switch into threats and either delay or deal with them is invaluable for the team. A late game sweep requires maneuvering and maneuvering requires time. Swampert is in charge of buying me time and stalling out the opponents early game moves so I can set up my own play.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Holy shit this thing is good. Honestly, I don't know why people don't use this more often, it's incredibly deadly versus every team I come across. Sure it can be frustrating to see teams that lose turn 1 to CM Reuniclus when you're packing TR but it's worth it. Offense crumbles in front of you and Balance just requires one prediction to be in for a world of hurt. Balance is a little bit different but those teams are always prepped for CM anyways so TR is still a valuable mon. I opt for Psyshock on this team because of some reason I don't remember. It's a good one though. I think its to pick off Blissey easier because fuck that thing. Rest of the set is self-explanatory. Note that Ursaring and Swampert are both slow enough to easily benefit from Trick Room. Take advantage of this. Ursaring staring down an offense team under Trick Room is highly satisfying. Try to predict the Doublades as it makes Ursaring's job much easier.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

At this point of the team, I had no idea what to finish it off with. I said fuck it, Kyurem and haven't looked back since. This thing is a beast and patches up a lot of the holes the team had. It nukes the shit out of everything. I quite literally lead with this thing every single game. I've had this team for so long that I pretty much play it mindlessly and don't have to think about what I'm doing for the most part. Over that period, I think I haven't led Kyurem maybe a dozen times once I knew how to play the team. I should get rid of Earth Power for Dragon Pulse but I'm too lazy to actually change the team at this point. If I was gonna keep a coverage move there as opposed to consistent Dragon STAB, Shadow Ball is likely the better choice. Hits Zong harder whose a pain for the team, still hits Forre neutrally, and still beats Blade whose annoying. I'm probably not going to change it myself though. Click Draco as much as you can and click Ice Beam when you can't click Draco. Kyurem is amazing under Tailwind and outspeeds everything you need to. Its great natural bulk lets you take priority moves and its insane power lets you ohko Entei leads with Draco because I swear every ladder player leads Entei or Blastoise.
Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- U-turn

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Tailwind

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Stall: You'd think that the team with a fucking Swords Dance Ursaring would be fine against stall. However, the opposite is true. The issue here is that Ursaring is on a timer and Blissey beats EVERYTHING else on the team. You basically have to play it flawlessly and even then you can't beat it normally. It's unfortunate but a fact of life really.

MBlastoise: This things fucking broken. I usually just pray they let me draco it Turn 1 because otherwise my counter is no Grass Stab Whimsicott lol.

Lucario: Swampert and Crobat kinda stop it but SD Crunch just wins if stuff gets chipped. Never let if set up for free.

Cobalion: Same thing but easier to deal with.

Hydreigon: Only decent check is Whimsicott, have to try to get off a TW before you die to enable something else to win for you.

That's pretty much it for things that scare me when I see them at preview. Cloyster takes careful turn management, Suicune is annoying, Enteis a bitch but other than that, these are the problems.

Strong Bear has been my favorite team to use for pretty much a year straight. It's remained consistent throughout every meta and has proven again and again to be a very real option for use on both the ladder and in competitive matches versus friends. This team got me reqs for the Salamence suspect when I started my run with like 40 games using shitty monofire and 2 year old semi rain. It's legit. The thing I like most about the team is that your fate is in your own hands. Every game I lose with this team I can pinpoint what went wrong and how to correct it for next time. The onus is on you to make the plays you need to win because they do exist. There's a way to outplay 99% of situations you will ever face with this team. The combination of Ursaring, Reuniclus, and Kyurem is nearly impossible to wall and becomes even more menacing with speed control tossed in the mix. Simply put, the team is just fun and I hope you all can enjoy it as much as I have.

-YABO

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
This team is sick and you obviously know what you're doing so all I have is a small suggestion of running Yache Whims. Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but Shark/RD Pert could be annoying since they both can double their speed making TW less effective in dealing with them and obviously Whims can't be thrown at them 100% of the time cause of their Ice coverage. You could also live an Ice Beam from Blastoise which could be useful? Idk since Whims does like 30 back lol.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Those two are definitely problematic but the issue with yache is that it only helps vs them. Blastoise still demolishes even if I had yache, same with mamo. Swampert is definitely easier to play around because priority tailwind into kyurem is enough to deter it long enough for my own win scenario. Sharpedo is much more threatening but if i can force it to mega at any point it's far less threatening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)