Noctowl

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC: TONE114 / Magnemite / Raiza
GP: Weebl / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

Noctowl faces competition as a defensive Defogger from Pelipper and Vullaby, which have more physical bulk and better typings. However, Noctowl lacks both a 4x weakness to Electric-type attacks and reliance on Eviolite for bulk, unlike Pelipper and Vullaby, respectively. Noctowl has a niche in Insomnia, which allows it to safely switch into users of sleep-inducing moves such as Victreebel and Jumpluff. Noctowl also has nice HP and Special Defense stats, allowing it to check special attackers, such as Simipour and Mr. Mime. However, Noctowl's Flying typing gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, and its low Defense makes it vulnerable to physical attackers, such as Barbaracle and Carracosta. Because Noctowl is passive, it is easily taken advantage of as fodder for setup sweepers, such as Clefairy and Pawniard, and crippled by Taunt users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig.

[SET]
name: Defensive Defog
move 1: Roost
move 2: Defog
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Night Shade
item: Leftovers
ability: Insomnia
nature: Calm
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides reliable recovery and allows Noctowl to stay healthy throughout the match. Defog allows Noctowl to remove entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, allowing teammates to switch in more. Toxic hits defensive walls that Noctowl is otherwise unable to touch, such as Tangela and Carracosta, and Normal-types, which are immune to Night Shade, such as Stoutland and Vigoroth. Night Shade is Noctowl's only attack, and has fixed damage. Alternatively, Noctowl could run Hidden Power Fighting in the fourth slot to hit Steel-types, such as Probopass and Pawniard, or Air Slash to hit Grass- and Fighting-types, such as Jumpluff and Poliwrath.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature maximize Noctowl's Special Defense and allow it to take hits from special attackers such as Simipour and Mr. Mime and take minimum damage from Stealth Rock. Insomnia allows Noctowl to check sleep users such as Jumpluff. Leftovers adds to Noctowl's recovery and aids it in staying healthy during the match.

Usage Tips
========

Noctowl should use Defog to remove entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, but it should be wary of Defiant users, such as Pawniard, as they can gain a +2 Attack boost from switching into Defog. Noctowl should Roost frequently in order to keep its health up. Noctowl should focus on using Toxic early-game to wear down foes. Switch Noctowl into special attackers that can't much to Noctowl, such as Simipour, but try not to switch it into physical attacks, due to its low Defense. Status conditions such as burn, paralysis, and poison cause Noctowl to be worn down quickly when combined with Stealth Rock damage, so don't switch it into status users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig. Use Night Shade to rack up more damage combined with Toxic damage.

Team Options
========

Noctowl fits best on balanced or stall teams because of its passive nature. Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, are able to take care of Pawniard, while Noctowl provides Defog support. Physically defensive Pokemon, such as Carracosta and Tangela, are able to take physical hits for Noctowl, while it can take special attacks and handle Grass-types, such as Jumpluff and Victreebel, in turn. Ground-types, such as Torterra and Golem, are able to take Electric- and Rock-type attacks for Noctowl, while it provides Defog support and deals with Grass-types. Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon, such as Rotom-F, Dodrio, and Rapidash, benefit from Noctowl's ability to remove entry hazards and can take down threats to Noctowl. Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Piloswine and Probopass is also beneficial to help Noctowl wear down its does. Pokemon such as Pawniard make for good partners because they can deal with Magic Guard users, which Noctowl is unable to touch.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Noctowl could run a Tailwind set to let slow wallbreakers, such as Torterra and Marowak, outspeed their threats. Whirlwind prevents Noctowl from being setup fodder for sweepers, such as Ninetales and Barbaracle. Noctowl could run Magic Coat to bounce back status moves, such as Taunt, but it is unreliable. Noctowl could run a Tinted Lens attacking set, but it is outclassed by the likes of Chatot. Thunder Wave could be used over Toxic, but Toxic is preferred due to Noctowl's passive nature.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Zebstrika and Raichu easily outspeed and can 2HKO Noctowl, forcing it to use Roost more frequently. However, they dislike getting hit with a Toxic.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types, such as Golem and Barbaracle, can easily OHKO Noctowl with their Rock-type STAB moves. However, they must watch out for Toxic on the switch in.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Pawniard and Klang are immune to Toxic,and can use Noctowl as set up fodder. Pawniard in particular has Defiant, allowing it to switch into a predicted Defog and set up to +2.

**Magic Guard Users**: Magic Guard users, such as Clefairy and Duosion, don't take any damage from poison. Because Noctowl relies on Toxic damage, they can set up a Calm Mind on it and make it setup fogger.

**Residual Damage**: Status conditions, such as burn, poison, and paralysis combined with Stealth Rock damage can wear down Noctowl quickly, forcing it to frequently use Roost.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Taunt users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig, can outspeed cripple Noctowl and cripple it with Taunt, forcing it to use Night Shade or switch out. The former can use the opportunity to set up with Nasty Plot and the latter can cure its team of status with Heal Bell.

**Physical Attackers**: Strong physical attackers, such as Ursaring and Stoutland, can take advantage of Noctowl's low Defense and KO it. Both of them do not mind a Toxic, as they can use it to their advantage for a more powerful Facade.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haven't really used Noctowl, so I can't really give a lot of insight, but for an Offensive Defogger, not having Defog slashed in the set at all makes it unique ;P

im not QC but ill help

[OVERVIEW]

mention that it faces major competition from Chatot who is faster, stronger, and has access to boomburst

Set Details
========

i wouldnt say that tinted lens is its only relevant ability, as insomnia isnt bad for checking things like jumpluff, tangela, and offensive roselia. just say that it allows it to hit even resisted targets for a lot of damage

Other Options
=============

mention insomnia

Checks and Counters
===================

mention strong attackers as noctowl really isnt fast so a lot of stronger attackers like simipour and dodrio can deal a lot of damage to it

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Defog really ought to be first slash in the third slot here, I'd much rather use it over shadow ball and/or HP fighting

yeah without defog there's literally no reason to use this over chatot, chatot gets defog too but i guess this is bulkier?

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
hmm I think noctowl should get a tinted lens attacking set and a bulky insomnia attacking defog set if you know what I mean. noctowl has nice coverage, but what do you guys think?

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd suggest sticking with Offensive Defog and leaving Insomnia to OO (Vullaby can do it better with Overcoat).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was talking a bit w/ others and and everyone said that offensive noctowl shouldnt be the set. It just tries to do things it cannot, ie be offensive as resisted chatot hits harder than tinted lens hypervoice and w/o bulk investment you just get warn down fast and fail to check what you try to. Instead a sdef set is much better (credit to Spirit bc trc told me to and credit to trc for telling every one offensive noctowl is shit), as you can check several top tier pokes like rose and poli (even simi w/o rocks). Tho it does receive a lot of competition from pelipper, you have much more sdef, resistance to grass (+insomnia also means you counter victreebel), and also lack of 4x electric resistance is nice bc you can actually life orb stall a zebstrika one on one lol:
Noctowl @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Night Slash

Pretty self explanatory - mention hp fighting/air slash/hyper voice in moves (PAWN+probo/wrath etc/better damage than air slash)

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
I was talking a bit w/ others and and everyone said that offensive noctowl shouldnt be the set. It just tries to do things it cannot, ie be offensive as resisted chatot hits harder than tinted lens hypervoice and w/o bulk investment you just get warn down fast and fail to check what you try to. Instead a sdef set is much better (credit to Spirit bc trc told me to and credit to trc for telling every one offensive noctowl is shit), as you can check several top tier pokes like rose and poli (even simi w/o rocks). Tho it does receive a lot of competition from pelipper, you have much more sdef, resistance to grass (+insomnia also means you counter victreebel), and also lack of 4x electric resistance is nice bc you can actually life orb stall a zebstrika one on one lol:
Noctowl @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Night Slash

Pretty self explanatory - mention hp fighting/air slash/hyper voice in moves (PAWN+probo/wrath etc/better damage than air slash)
ok i will change later

edit: Night slash? pretty sure u meant night shade :p

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In the Overview, remove the mention of Tinted Lens as it isn't part of the main set. Add Thunder Wave to OO and mention that Toxic is still preferred due to Noctowl being passive offensively. Add Physical Attackers to Checks and Counters as Noctowl is easy to take down due to its low Defense and give examples.

1/3.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview, remove the mention of Tinted Lens as it isn't part of the main set. Add Thunder Wave to OO and mention that Toxic is still preferred due to Noctowl being passive offensively. Add Physical Attackers to Checks and Counters as Noctowl is easy to take down due to its low Defense and give examples.

1/3.
Done :)

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
toxic cripples foes in general, for example also normal-types night shade cant hit

Usage Tips
========
mention toxic should be spammed early games to wear down foes

Team Options
========
noctowl can also deal w grass-types for ground-types
mention pokemon frail on the specially defensive side and need backup from special attackers
mention Pokemon that can deal with Clefairy and Duosion as they can't be crippled by toxic.

Checks and Counters
===================
remove specially defensive pokemon
add magic guard users such as duosion and clefairy

rubsomebacononit QC 3/3

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fun Fact: Noctowl is the only shiny Pokemon I have ever had. I caught it in the wild.

[OVERVIEW]

Noctowl faces competition as a defensive Defogger from other defensive Defoggers, (RC) such as Togetic and Pelipper and Togetic (to match the order of the following sentence), as they which have more physical bulk and a better typings. However, Noctowl lacks both a 4x weakness to Electric-type attacks and a reliance doesn't have to rely on Eviolite for bulk, unlike Pelipper and Togetic, respectively. Noctowl has a niche in Insomnia, which allows it to safely check switch into (It can't check all of these users. If you want to talk about Victreebel and Jumpluff specifically, which I assume you are, then don't surround the "such as" clause with commas. That signifies that whatever is surrounded in commas is simply extra information--it is a nonrestrictive clause.) users of sleep-inducing moves users, such as Victreebel and Jumpluff. Noctowl also has nice HP and Special Defense stats, allowing it to check special attackers, such as Simipour and Mr. Mime. However, Noctowl's Flying typing gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, and its low Defense makes it vulnerable to physical attackers, such as Barbaracle and Carracosta. Because Noctowl is passive, it is easily taken advantage of as fodder set up fogger for setup sweepers, such as Clefairy and Pawniard, and is easily crippled by Taunt users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost has provides reliable recovery and allows Noctowl to stay healthy during throughout the match. Defog allows Noctowl to remove entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, allowing teammates to switch in more. Toxic hits defensive walls that Noctowl is otherwise unable to touch, such as Tangela and Carracosta, and Normal-types, which are immune to that Night Shade cannot hit, such as Stoutland and Vigoroth. Night Shade is Noctowl's most reliable attack (um, it's the only attack. If you mean attack that it has access to, say that), which and has fixed damage. Alternatively, Noctowl could run Hidden Power Fighting in the fourth slot to hit Steel-types, such as Probopass and Pawniard, or Air Slash to hit Grass- and Fighting-types, such as Jumpluff and Poliwrath.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD and a Calm Nature maximiszes Noctowl's Special Defense and allows it to take hits from special attackers, (RC) such as Simipour and Mr. Mime, (RC) and take minimum damage from Stealth Rock. Insomnia is the chosen ability and allows Noctowl to check sleep users, (RC) such as Jumpluff. Leftovers adds to Noctowl's recovery and allows aids it to say in staying healthy during the match.

Usage Tips
========

Noctowl should use Defog to remove entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, but should be wary of Defiant users, such as Pawniard, as they can gain a +2 Attack boost. Noctowl should Roost frequently in order to keep its health up (this phrase is getting stale -->) for it to stay healthy during the match. Noctowl should focus on using Toxic early-game to wear down foes. Switch Noctowl into on special attackers that can't much to Noctowl, such as Simipour, but try not to switch it into on physical attacks, (AC) due to its low Defense. Status conditions, (RC) such as burns, paralysis, and poison, cause wear Noctowl to be worn down quickly when combined with Stealth Rock damage, so don't switch it into on status users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig. Use Night Shade to rack up damage combined with Toxic damage.

Team Options
========

Noctowl fits best on balanced or stall teams because of its passive nature. Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, are able to take care of Pawniard, while Noctowl provides Defog support. Physically defensive Pokemon, such as Carracosta and Tangela, are able to take physical hits for Noctowl, while it can take special attacks and handle Grass-types, such as Jumpluff and Victreebel, (AC) in turn. Ground-types, such as Torterra and Golem, are able to take Electric- and Rock-types attacks for Noctowl, while it provides Defog support and deals with Grass-types. Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon, such as Rotom-F, Dodrio, and Rapidash, benefit from Noctowl's ability to remove hazards and can take down threats to Noctowl's threats. Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Piloswine and Probopass are is also beneficial to help Noctowl wear down its foes threats. Pokemon such as Pawniard make for good partners because they that can deal with Magic Guard users, such as Pawniard, make for good partners, as which Noctowl is unable to touch them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Noctowl could run a Tailwind set in order for to let slow wallbreakers, such as Torterra and Marowak, to outspeed their threats. Whirlwind prevents Noctowl from being set up fogger setup fodder for sweepers, such as Ninetales and Barbaracle. Noctowl could run Magic Coat to bounce back status moves, such as Taunt, but it is unreliable. Noctowl could run a Tinted Lens attacking set, but it is outclassed by the likes of Chatot. Thunder Wave could be used over Toxic, but Toxic is preferred due to Noctowl's passive nature.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zebstrika and Raichu, easily outspeed and can 2HKO Noctowl, forcing it to use Roost more frequently. However, they dislike getting hit with a Toxic.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types, such as Golem and Barbaracle, can easily OHKO Noctowl with their Rock-type STAB moves. However, they must watch out for Toxic on the switch in.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types, such as Pawniard and Klang, are immune to Toxic, (RC) and can use Noctowl as set up fogger setup fodder. Pawniard in particular especially has Defiant, allowing it to switch into a predicted Defog and set up to gain +2 Attack.

**Magic Guard Users**: Magic Guard users, such as Clefairy and Duosion, don't take any damage from poison. Since Noctowl relies on Toxic damage, they can set up a Calm Mind on it and make it setup fogger fodder.

**Residual Damage**: Status conditions, such as burn, poison, and paralysis combined with Stealth Rock damage can wear down Noctowl quickly, forcing it to frequently use Recover Roost.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Taunt users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig, can outspeed and can cripple Noctowl with Taunt, forcing it to use Night Shade or switch out. The former can use the opportunity to set up with Nasty Plot and the latter can cure its team of status with Heal Bell.

**Physical Attackers**: Strong physical attackers, such as Ursaring and Stoutland, can take advantage of Noctowl's low Defense and KO it. Both of them do not mind a Toxic as they can use it to their advantage for a more powerful Facade.
GP 1/2

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
one of my first pokemon :)

GP 2/2
be careful when implementing; you missed a few things. also "fogger" isn't a thing to my knowledge haha
[OVERVIEW]

Noctowl faces competition as a defensive Defogger from Pelipper and Togetic, which have more physical bulk and better typings. However, Noctowl lacks both a 4x weakness to Electric-type attacks and reliance on Eviolite for bulk, unlike Pelipper and Togetic, respectively. Noctowl has a niche in Insomnia, which allows it to safely switch into users of sleep-inducing moves such as Victreebel and Jumpluff. Noctowl also has nice HP and Special Defense stats, allowing it to check special attackers, such as Simipour and Mr. Mime. However, Noctowl's Flying typing gives it a weakness to Stealth Rock, and its low Defense makes it vulnerable to physical attackers, such as Barbaracle and Carracosta. Because Noctowl is passive, it is easily taken advantage of as fodder for setup sweepers, such as Clefairy and Pawniard, and crippled by Taunt users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost provides reliable recovery and allows Noctowl to stay healthy throughout the match. Defog allows Noctowl to remove entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, allowing teammates to switch in more. Toxic hits defensive walls that Noctowl is otherwise unable to touch, such as Tangela and Carracosta, and Normal-types,(space)which are immune to Night Shade, such as Stoutland and Vigoroth. Night Shade is Noctowl's only attack, and it has fixed damage. Alternatively, Noctowl could run Hidden Power Fighting in the fourth slot to hit Steel-types, such as Probopass and Pawniard, or Air Slash to hit Grass- and Fighting-types, such as Jumpluff and Poliwrath.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature maximize Noctowl's Special Defense and allow it to take hits from special attackers such as Simipour and Mr. Mime and take minimum damage from Stealth Rock. Insomnia allows Noctowl to check sleep users such as Jumpluff. Leftovers adds to Noctowl's recovery and aids it in staying healthy during the match.

Usage Tips
========

Noctowl should use Defog to remove entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, but it should be wary of Defiant users, such as Pawniard, as they can gain a +2 Attack boost from switching into Defog. Noctowl should use Roost frequently in order for it to keep its health up. Noctowl should focus on using Toxic early-game to wear down foes. Switch Noctowl into special attackers that can't do much to Noctowl, such as Simipour, but try not to switch it into physical attacks, due to its low Defense. Status conditions such as burn, paralysis, and poison cause Noctowl to be worn down quickly combined when combined with Stealth Rock damage, so don't switch it into status users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig. Use Night Shade to rack up more damage combined with Toxic damage.

Team Options
========

Noctowl fits best on balanced or stall teams because of its passive nature. Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, are able to take care of Pawniard, while Noctowl provides Defog support. Physically defensive Pokemon, such as Carracosta and Tangela, are able to take physical hits for Noctowl, while it can take special attacks and handle Grass-types, such as Jumpluff and Victreebel, in turn. Ground-types, such as Torterra and Golem, are able to take Electric- and Rock-type attacks for Noctowl, while it provides Defog support and deals with Grass-types. Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon, such as Rotom-F, Dodrio, and Rapidash, benefit from Noctowl's ability to remove entry hazards and can take down threats to Noctowl. Stealth Rock(space)support from Pokemon such as Piloswine and Probopass is also beneficial to help Noctowl wear down its foes. Pokemon such as Pawniard make for good partners because they can deal with Magic Guard users, (comma) which Noctowl is unable to touch.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Noctowl could run a Tailwind set to let slow wallbreakers, such as Torterra and Marowak, to outspeed their threats. Whirlwind prevents Noctowl from being setup fodder for sweepers, such as Ninetales and Barbaracle. Noctowl could run Magic Coat to bounce back status moves, such as Taunt, but it is unreliable. Noctowl could run a Tinted Lens attacking set, but it is outclassed by the likes of Chatot. Thunder Wave could be used over Toxic, but Toxic is preferred due to Noctowl's passive nature.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zebstrika and Raichu, (remove commas) easily outspeed and can 2HKO Noctowl, forcing it to use Roost more frequently. However, they dislike getting hit with a Toxic.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types, such as Pawniard and Klang, (remove commas) are immune to Toxic, (remove comma) and can use Noctowl as setup fodder. Pawniard in particular especially has Defiant, allowing it to switch into a predicted Defog and set up to +2.

**Magic Guard Users**: Magic Guard users, such as Clefairy and Duosion, don't take any damage from poison. Since Because Noctowl relies on Toxic damage, they can set up a Calm Mind on it and make it setup fodder.

**Residual Damage**: Status conditions, (remove comma) such as burn, poison, and paralysis combined with Stealth Rock damage can wear down Noctowl quickly, forcing it to frequently use Roost.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Taunt users, such as Misdreavus and Grumpig, can outspeed Noctowl and cripple it Noctowl with Taunt, forcing it to use Night Shade or switch out. The former can use the opportunity to set up with Nasty Plot and the latter can cure its team of status with Heal Bell.

**Physical Attackers**: Strong physical attackers, such as Ursaring and Stoutland, can take advantage of Noctowl's low Defense and KO it. Both of them do not mind a Toxic, (comma) as they can use it to their advantage for a more powerful Facade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)