Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: Rowan/Heysup/TCR
Final QC Check: Goddess Briyella
GP Checks: fleurdyleurse/horyzhnz

Overview
########

One of the famed SturdyJuice entry hazard setters of LC, Nosepass has certainly taken its spot as the weirdest of them, being modeled after both a compass and a nose. Matching that strange design, Nosepass has access to a wide variety of moves such as Volt Switch that other setters don't have access to. Nosepass boasts a base 135 Defense stat, the second highest in the metagame. However, Nosepass is arguably outclassed by that same Pokemon that its Defense comes second to, Onix. Nosepass, despite its incredible movepool, has very weak offensive capabilities. It lacks the capacity to really deal any significant damage against most of the tier. As such, Nosepass takes on its role as a capable Stealth Rock setter with the ability to cripple its opponents with Thunder Wave and pivot out with Volt Switch.

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Power Gem / Rock Blast
ability: Sturdy
item: Berry Juice
evs: 236 Def / 76 SpA / 196 SpD
nature: Bold / Relaxed

Moves
========

Stealth Rock can really shut down enemy teams by breaking Sturdy on some Pokemon, while also discouraging the opponent from constantly switching in and out. Thunder Wave should be used if the opponent tries to set up while Nosepass is setting up Stealth Rock. Use Volt Switch for a slow switch out, which can help get Nosepass out so that it can assist later in the game, and can help get other Pokemon in safely. Rock Blast is a STAB move that hits Flying-types pretty hard. This is extremely useful for switching in to Fletchling and then punishing it if the opponent decides to keep it in, for breaking Sturdy on other entry hazard setters, and breaking Focus Sash on Pokemon such as Surskit. Dazzling Gleam can be used to damage Fighting-type switch-ins, specifically Scraggy, who takes 4x super effective damage from the move. For most other Fighting-types, Thunder Wave and Volt Switch is a better combination, as it allows Nosepass to cripple them and get a slow switch out.

Set Details
========

The EVs that Nosepass should be running are different depending upon which move it's using. Defense and Special Defense should be maximized in order to increase survivability. The remaining EVs are placed according to the moves run; the EVs should be put into Attack if using Rock Blast or into Special Attack if using Power Gem. A Bold nature boosts Defense at the expense of Attack, so it should be run if Nosepass is using Power Gem. Alternately, a Relaxed nature increases Defense at the expense of Speed, as the slower Nosepass is, the better chance it has of moving last with Volt Switch. This works best with an EV spread of 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 SpD. Sturdy and Berry Juice work in conjunction to ensure Nosepass has at least a turn to set up. With it, Nosepass can make several moves before going down or switching out.

Usage Tips
========

Get in, get Stealth Rock or maybe a Thunder Wave off, and serve as a suicide switch. Nosepass can tank physical hits pretty well because of its massive Defense stat and is an effective check to many common threats. Sometimes, it's more important to make a offensive move than set up Stealth Rock. Pay attention to the enemy's team and be careful with the decision that you make. While Thunder Wave can really obstruct Fighting-types like Mienfoo, it can be unwise to use if the enemy has a Timburr or Scraggy, due to Guts and Shed Skin, respectively. Use Volt Switch to get the slower switch out, giving you the switch advantage on the following turn. However, Volt Switch deals almost no damage, so don't depend on it too much. Its sole purpose is to get Nosepass out and another Pokemon in safely. Nosepass is especially useful to have around when there is a Fletchling on the other team, as it can take anything but a Hidden Power Grass variant, which is rare. If there is an opposing Fletchling, keep Nosepass around to switch into it and deal with it.

Team Options
========

Cottonee, as a switch-in for Timburr, is extremely useful. Switch into a Drain Punch, use Encore on the Drain Punch, then fight back with STAB Fairy-type moves. Pokemon that sweep better after assistance from entry hazards, such as Taillow and Fletchling, are also good teammates for Nosepass. Ghost-type Pokemon can stop Rapid Spin users from removing Stealth Rock. Pawniard, as well as some other less notable Pokemon, discourage the use of Defog on the enemy team because of Defiant, their ability. Pokemon that appreciate a slow Volt Switch in, such as Fletchling, work well with Nosepass. Pokemon that can switch into Water-type attacks, such as Foongus or Dry Skin Croagunk, also are good partners for Nosepass. Foongus also has great synergy with Nosepass, handling each other's threats.

Other Options
########

One of Nosepass's defining characteristics is its incredible movepool. It has Earthquake, Rock Slide, and several other good physically attacking moves, like the elemental punches. Of these punches, Fire Punch is the best, as it helps get past Ferroseed. One of the better sets it can run is a Pain Split Eviolite set. With such high defenses and such low HP, a Pain Split from Nosepass can truly be a problem for many opposing Pokemon. There are many odd moves and odd strategies that don't go well in a viable set but are still interesting, like Toxic, Stone Edge, Magic Coat, Magnet Rise, and Explosion, as well as Rock Polish and other boosting moves, all of which can be run.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fast Taunt users**: Mienfoo can get off a fast Taunt, stopping Nosepass completely and forcing a switch. However, Nosepass can predict this and go directly for a Volt Switch.

**Defog and Rapid Spin users**: Pokemon that can remove Stealth Rock completely defeat the purpose of setting them, and Nosepass's turn setting them up ends up being a waste of time.

**Fighting-types**: As most Fighting-type Pokemon carry Knock Off anyway, they can break Sturdy and remove Berry Juice in one turn, then Drain Punch or High Jump Kick the next.

**Water-types and Grass-types**: Both of these Pokemon take neutral damage from Stealth Rock and almost all of the moves that Nosepass has access to. Slowpoke, in particular, walls Nosepass, taking very little damage even from Volt Switch.

**Mold Breaker**: Mold Breaker users such as Axew and Drilbur really couldn't care less about Sturdy. A Superpower or Earthquake, respectively, will tear Nosepass apart before it can even move.

Last edited:
ya i don't have too much experience with this mon but slow volt switch is always great. probably better than the other filler moves in slot 4 of the first set. and i really don't see the appeal of rock polish nosepass over tirt or even dwebble.

tbh I don't think it's worth it to hit 13 speed. I'd rather run max bulk on something that slow. tbh I'd make this the set order:
move 1: stealth Rock
move 2: volt switch
move 3: Rock blast
move 4: thunder wave

with EQ and explosion getting a mention in moves. ferroseed leads are nonexistent rn and Rock blast is just better than Rock slide IMO. volt switch is so useful for pivoting around and slow volt switches are always nice etc. I haven't really used Nosepass at all but this set seems like it would work best given the metagame. you can screw around with it a little bit, but at least give this a try first.

Lord Alphose

tbh I don't think it's worth it to hit 13 speed. I'd rather run max bulk on something that slow. tbh I'd make this the set order:
move 1: stealth Rock
move 2: volt switch
move 3: Rock blast
move 4: thunder wave

with EQ and explosion getting a mention in moves. ferroseed leads are nonexistent rn and Rock blast is just better than Rock slide IMO. volt switch is so useful for pivoting around and slow volt switches are always nice etc. I haven't really used Nosepass at all but this set seems like it would work best given the metagame. you can screw around with it a little bit, but at least give this a try first.
Tried this set out, and it was good. I like it.

ya i don't have too much experience with this mon but slow volt switch is always great. probably better than the other filler moves in slot 4 of the first set. and i really don't see the appeal of rock polish nosepass over tirt or even dwebble.
I pretty much put the RP set up to test. It's alright, but I think you're right, it shouldn't stay on the analysis.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
why explosion? seriously it sucks. move it to OO

slash EQ behind TWave it's useful for Pawn and Mag and Chinchou (which stops VSwitch)

magnet rise in OO just for the lolz

elemental punches in OO particularly fire which hits grass types like ferro and ice which hits drilbur (who stops VSwitch)

pain split + eviolite in OO

magic coat in OO

toxic in OO

stone edge in OO

team options:
frail stuff that appreciate slow volt switch. particularly stuff that beats Grass types like flyers
stuff to swithc into fighting-types
stuff to switch into water-types

1/3

Last edited:
Yea, I think it makes sense to look like this and as far as I can tell you haven't missed anything big.

qc approved

Lord Alphose

Goddess Briyella, I think I changed the things we talked about, 'cept Power Gem V. Rock Blast. But if you read through it, you'll see that I anticipated and recalculated for the instance.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First off, the Set name and the spot above the 8 #s need to be the same. Change it to "Utility" as that suits the set much more.
Mention how it is arguably outclassed by other sturdy rock / ground types like onix and drilbur.

Remove the mention of Water Absorb tbh. I hype the shit out of it but in the end its a gimmick that can be abused by any good player. You can replace it with something like Foongus, as they have excellent synergy together (plus foongus can bait in pawniard with hp fight or w/e it runs nowadays).

also not sure about Power Gem; I would replace that with Rock Blast tbh. They do about the same to most things, except Rock Blast has the potential to possibly bring Archen down to defeatist level with 3 hits (on BJ or even roost sets).

other than that looks fine qc 3/3 nice job *__*

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I definitely think that Rock Blast should be over Dazzling Gleam. If all you are doing with it is hitting Fighting-types and switching out, that really kills momentum in exchange for not even doing enough damage for a 2HKO. Volt Switching out conserves momentum a lot better.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi, just dropping in to say a few things:

If you're going to have Rock Blast instead of Power Gem, at least use a nature that won't take away from your offense at all if you're going to have a physical AND a special attack: Volt Switch AND Rock Blast. If Power Gem were used, you could just use Bold without any problems, and it deals clean, straightforward, 100% accurate and reliable damage while Rock Blast forces you to use split offense, has 90% accuracy, and relies on random multi-hit chance to assure KOs, while the set also has NO Attack investment. I'm not understanding why Rock Blast is better than Power Gem outside of hitting beyond a Substitute, because the most common things that will use Substitute against Nosepass don't care about Rock Blast anyway, including Mienfoo. Substitute Misdreavus can burn it and then proceed to also not care. Substitute Pawniard is also cool sometimes but it doesn't care about Rock Blast at all either.

If Rock Blast's purpose is to deal damage (which is the only possible purpose), Bold nature works directly against that and makes no sense. Dazzling Gleam only really gets a surprise big hit on Scraggy, and other Fighting-types can come in on that and either force Nosepass out or hurt it and get health back with Drain Punch, but if Dazzling Gleam's purpose is to deal damage (which is the only possible purpose), Impish nature is also redundant. It's not about changing the nature depending on the last move, because Volt Switch is special too, and if that didn't matter, the set wouldn't have Special Attack investment with Rock Blast as the first slash for the final move.

Use Relaxed nature if you want the Defense, and then you don't lose out on damage. Most things already outspeed Nosepass as it is, and it wants a slow Volt Switch to get a teammate in safely anyway.

I know this is already 3/3, but we should probably discuss this.

Lord Alphose

Although it was poorly written at the time, there is a different set of EVs for when Rock Blast is run that is specified in Moves. I moved it to Set Details(where it should be) and made it all a little bit more understandable. Also, I just want to point out that these aren't the only Pokemon to use Substitutes and they aren't the only reason multi-hit moves can be useful. Dwebble comes in as about the 20th most often used Pokemon and Sturdy is the only viable ability on it. Abra hits #10, and Substitute is not an uncommon move on it. Archen has become a serious threat to a lot of Pokemon and teams in the tier and a common Pokemon to Defog Nosepass's Stealth Rock, and I think Rock Blast does better at defeating it, as Power Gem would just put it into Berry Juice range, while Rock Blast has a chance to force it to consume Berry Juice and get it into Defeatist range all in the same turn.
76 SpA Nosepass Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 132 SpD Archen: 18-24 (81.8 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
76 Atk Nosepass Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Archen: 24-36 (109 - 163.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 12)

If this Archen is running Berry Juice, and most do, it will, in the first situation, return to full Health. However, in the second situation, two hits will bring it into Berry Juice range. Then another two hits will bring it back into Defeatist range. I don't know. It can be useful, especially considering how much of a threat Archen is to Nosepass.

Here are natures that aren't entirely unreasonable to run, given these moves:
Rock Blast-Adamant(Atk+, SpA-), Impish(Def+, SpA-), Careful(SpD+, SpA-)
Dazzling Gleam-Bold(Def+, Atk-), Modest(SpA+, Atk-), Calm(SpD+, Atk-)
Relaxed(Def+, Spe-) works well for both, since Nosepass is already super slow.

I think it would be a poor choice to run natures that jeopardize Nosepass's defenses, as they are his "saving grace." I also think it would be a poor choice to run Calm or Careful, as the Special Defense boost is no significant enough to mitigate its already weak Special Defense. However, I think it loses nothing from gaining more physical bulk. In fact, I think that's a great thing, as it will be less likely to be worn down by its opponents. Because of that, I think that Impish, Bold, and Relaxed are the best three there. Bold clearly does the best when paired with Power Gem. Nosepass doesn't lose any power as a special threat, and it gains a defensive bonus. Rock Blast is used for damage, but the damage is intended to be utilized in a more helpful way than a single spurt of damage. Rock Blast should, therefore, be used with a mind that it is more for the utility of the move than the flat damage. Because of that, Relaxed would be the better nature, as it increases Defense and gives Nosepass a slow Volt Switch, like you said.

Dazzling Gleam isn't very good, as I continue to do calculations for it. As you said, it only really hits Scraggy, and even with max Special Attack and a Special Attack positive nature, it isn't even going to 100% of the time OHKO. I'm going to add that as a mention for Moves and have Rock Blast and Power Gem be the two slashed moves, being STAB and having the upper hand on the Pokemon that Nosepass should be going up against.

Here's what I think I'll do. I do see why running Power Gem is a good idea. However, I definitely want Rock Blast to be in there, because it has some great utility, which is what Nosepass is for, as the title implies. I'll run Power Gem / Rock Blast, with a mention of Dazzling Gleam in the Moves paragraph. As for natures, I think pairing Bold with Power Gem and Relaxed with Rock Blast is the best option. I'll be changing this shortly.

Anyway, if you want me to change anything even after reading my logic, PM me on Showdown or just message here.

Eviolite Magnet Pull set definitely deserves a mention. It still counters stuff like aipom, meowth, and fletchling, but it also traps ferroseed and kills it with fire punch.
Moves: Rock slide, fire punch, volt switch, stealth rock / taunt / rest (only use if you have a pokemon with heal bell). Besides that I think you did a great job!
-Luv Nay

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
Eviolite Magnet Pull set definitely deserves a mention. It still counters stuff like aipom, meowth, and fletchling, but it also traps ferroseed and kills it with fire punch.
Moves: Rock slide, fire punch, volt switch, stealth rock / taunt / rest (only use if you have a pokemon with heal bell). Besides that I think you did a great job!
-Luv Nay
Fire Punch only OHKOes Ferroseed 1/16 times even with +236 Atk. Nosepass isn't a very good trapper tbh.

Lord Alphose

92 Atk Ferroseed Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 236 Def Nosepass: 18-24 (94.7 - 126.3%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
...yeah, it can easily KO in one shot.

Lord Alphose

Fine, I'll just phrase it like this. We've dicussed a Magnet Pull set before. It merits little to no use. It will only go in this analysis if blarajan or Goddess Briyella comes in here and wants me to put it in. Thank you for your input.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########

One of the famed SturdyJuice entry hazard setters of LC, Nosepass has certainly taken its spot as the weirdest of them, being modeled after both a compass and a nose. Matching that strange design, Nosepass has access to a wide variety of moves such as Volt Switch that other setters don't, like Volt Switch have access to. Nosepass boasts a base 135 Defense stat, the second highest in the metagame. However, Nosepass is arguably outclassed by that same Pokemon that its Defense comes second to, Onix. Nosepass, despite its incredible movepool, has very weak offensive capabilities. It lacks the capacity to really deal significant damage against most of the tier. ThusAs such, Nosepass takes on its role as a capable Stealth Rock setter with itsthe ability to cripple its opponents with Thunder Wave and pivot out with Volt Switch.

Utility
########
name: Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Power Gem / Rock Blast
ability: Sturdy
item: Berry Juice
evs: 236 Def / 76 SpA / 196 SpD
nature: Bold / Relaxed

Moves
========

Stealth Rock can really shut down enemy teams by breaking Sturdy on some Pokemon, while also discouraging the opponent from constantly switching in and out. Thunder Wave should be used if the opponent tries to set up while Nosepass is setting up Stealth Rock. Use Volt Switch for a slow switch out, which can help get Nosepass out so that it can assist later in the game, and can help get other Pokemon in safely. Rock Blast is a STAB move that hits Flying-types pretty heavilyard. This is extremely useful for switching in to Fletchling and then punishing it if they opponent decides to keep it in, for breaking Sturdy on other entry hazard setters, or breaking Focus Sash on Pokemon likesuch as Surskit. Dazzling Gleam can be used to damage Fighting-type switch-ins, specifically Scraggy, who takes 4x super effective damage from the move. For most other Fighting-types, Thunder Wave and Volt Switch would be a better combination, as it would allowing Nosepass to cripple them and get a slow switch out.

Set Details
========

The statEVs that Nosepass should be running are different depending upon which move you've decided tore useing. Defense and Special Defense should be maximized in order to increase survivability. The remaining EVs are placed according to moves run:; the EVs should be put into Attack forif using Rock Blast or into Special Attack forif using Power Gem. A Bold nature boosts Defense at the expense of Attack, asince Attack is unnecessary and increased defenses are beneficial. Bold should be run if Nosepass is using Power Gem. Alternately, a Relaxed nature increases Defense at the expense of Speed, asince the slower Nosepass is, the better chance it has of getting the second move Volt Switch. This works best with an EV spread of 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 SpD. Sturdy and Berry Juice work in conjunction to ensure at least a turn to set up. With it, Nosepass can make several moves before going down or switching out.

Usage Tips
========

Get in, get Stealth Rock andor maybe a Thunder Wave off, and serve as a suicide switch. Nosepass can tank prettyhysical hits quite well because of its massive Defense stat and is an effective check to many common threats. Sometimes, it's more important to make a offensive move than set up Stealth Rock. Pay attention to the enemy's team and be careful with the decision that you make. While Thunder Wave can really obstruct Fighting-types like Mienfoo, it can be unwise to use if the enemy has a Timburr or Scraggy, due to Guts and Shed Skin, respectively. Use Volt Switch to get the second switch out, giving the choice of type advantages on the following turn. However, Volt Switch deals almost no damage to anything. D, so don't depend on it too much. It's sole purpose is to get Nosepass out and some other Pokemon in safely. Nosepass is especially useful to have around when there is a Fletchling on the other team, asince it can take anything but a HP Grass variant, which is rare. If there is an opposing Fletchling, keep Nosepass around to switch into it and deal with it.

Team Options
========

Cottonee, as a switch-in for Timburr, is extremely useful. Switch into a Drain Punch, use Encore on the Drain Punch, then fight back with STAB Fairy-type moves. Pokemon that sweep better after assistance from entry hazards, likesuch as Tailow or Fletchling, are also good partners to Nosepass. Ghost-type Pokemon help to stop Rapid Spinn users from removing Stealth Rocks. Pawniard, as well as some other less notable Pokemon, discourage the use of Defog on the enemy team. Pokemon that appreciate a slow Volt Switch in, likesuch as Fletchling, work well with Nosepass. Pokemon that can switch into Water-type attacks, likesuch as Foongus or Dry Skin Croagunk, also are good partners to Nosepass. Foongus also has great synergy with Nosepass, blocking each other's threats.

Other Options
########

One of Nosepass's defining characteristics is hits incredible movepool. It has Earthquake, Rock Slide, and several other good physically attacking moves, like the elemental punches. Of these punches, Fire Punch is the best, asince it helps get through Ferroseed. One of the better sets it can run is a Pain Split Eviolite set. With such high defenses and such low HP, a Pain Split from Nosepass can truly be a problem for many enemy Pokemon. There are many odd moves and odd strategies that don't go well in a viable set but are still interesting, like Toxic, Stone Edge, Magic Coat, Magnet Rise, and Explosion, as well as Rock Polish and other boosting moves, all of which could be run.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fast Taunt users**: Mienfoo can get off a fast tTaunt, stopping Nosepass completely and forcing a switch out. However, Nosepass can predict this and go directly into a Volt Switch.

**Defog/ and Rapid Spin users**: Pokemon that can remove Stealth Rocks completely defeat the purpose of setting them, and Nosepass's turn setting them up ends up being a waste of time.

**Fighting-types**: SinceAs most Fighting-type Pokemon carry Knock Off anyways, they can break Sturdy and remove Berry Juice one turn, then Drain Punch or High Jump Kick the next.

**Water-types and Grass-types**: Both of these Pokemon resisttake neutral damage from Stealth Rock and almost all of the moves that Nosepass has access to. Slowpoke especially, in particular, walls off Nosepass's damage, even taking very little damage from Volt Switch.

**Mold Breakers**: Mold Breaker users such as Axew and Drillbur really couldn't care less about Sturdy. A Superpower or Earthquake, respectively, will really just tear Nosepass apart before it can even move.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)