np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 3 - Wandering Ghosts [Aegislash remains in Ubers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Yeah. You still don't get it.

The difference between Aegi and all of the other scenarios is this: it forces 50:50s vs. every non-EQ physical attacker not called Bisharp. The 50:50s argument isn't a good one, I admit, but really you are taking this completely the wrong way. HJK v.s. a pokemon that might carry protect is nothing like the ones that Aegi forces due to the fact that it forces them v.s. a far larger range of pokemon and with far more destructive consequences. Most of the examples that you put in your post are reliant on the pokemon being a wincon and are uncommon to the point of not being unhealthy. Aegislash, on the other hand, forces 50:50s that are far more crippling on a far more regular basis to the point of doing so excessively. I feel that I explained the difference between a 50:50 and a normal scenario well in a convo with Mango Smoothie that happens to be based around a similar scenario that was posted on Smogon's youtube channel. I'll quote the post below, and most of the time the second scenario is the kind of one forced by Aegislash.

If you ignore the 1 HP situation detailed above, the key difference between the Bisharp example and an Aegislash - which has good natural bulk, allowing it to actually recover from the wrong end of a 50:50 a lot of the time - is simply how little opportunity cost there is to using Aegislash as compared to Bisharp - who is frail to the point of almost every misprediction resulting in death.
You don't even know the mon is carrying protect. What if a ttar reveals it on your hawlucha? You expect it on aegi/ so it's not as bad as anyone popping it out of nowhere. Talking about more destructive consequences, a heatran fire blast, magma storm, or even flamethrower iirc does more damage to a neutral then a shadow ball from aegi/. the only difference is the attack drop, but you can get twaved on the ks, while heatran is 100% safe. Additionally, heatran gets roar, so it can't be set up on by anything. I think (I forget who's comparison this was, sorry) this heatran aegi/ comparison is better than my shedinja one.
talking about bisharp being super frail, it's 65/100/70. People sometimes use av bisharp, proving that it isn't as frail as you make it sound. And since we're talking about the 50-50s with ks, you're going to be in blade form 99% of the time is these scenarios, making you far frailer than bisharp is, sitting at a lovely 60/50/50 bulk. and bisharp also causes 50-50s on special attackers, while ks has its effect on only physical attackers without eq. The only scenario, in my opinion, where aegislash is remotely broken is the balloon set. But I think I've proved why your 50-50 argument has a lot of wholes, and tbh, a lot of situations in mons are 50-50s. Are we going to ban lando-t because of volt switch hp ice 50-50s? No. The 50-50 argument shouldn't even have been brought up by the ban side tbh. The only issue with aegislash is if it's too good at checking the metagame.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You don't even know the mon is carrying protect. What if a ttar reveals it on your hawlucha? You expect it on aegi/ so it's not as bad as anyone popping it out of nowhere. Talking about more destructive consequences, a heatran fire blast, magma storm, or even flamethrower iirc does more damage to a neutral then a shadow ball from aegi/. the only difference is the attack drop, but you can get twaved on the ks, while heatran is 100% safe. Additionally, heatran gets roar, so it can't be set up on by anything. I think (I forget who's comparison this was, sorry) this heatran aegi/ comparison is better than my shedinja one.
talking about bisharp being super frail, it's 65/100/70. People sometimes use av bisharp, proving that it isn't as frail as you make it sound. And since we're talking about the 50-50s with ks, you're going to be in blade form 99% of the time is these scenarios, making you far frailer than bisharp is, sitting at a lovely 60/50/50 bulk. and bisharp also causes 50-50s on special attackers, while ks has its effect on only physical attackers without eq. The only scenario, in my opinion, where aegislash is remotely broken is the balloon set. But I think I've proved why your 50-50 argument has a lot of wholes, and tbh, a lot of situations in mons are 50-50s. Are we going to ban lando-t because of volt switch hp ice 50-50s? No. The 50-50 argument shouldn't even have been brought up by the ban side tbh. The only issue with aegislash is if it's too good at checking the metagame.
Protect is horrible on T-Tar .-. Also, Bisharp is frail due to its abysmal HP effectively negating its good defense, and Assault Vest is mainly used to allow it to switch in on stuff like Latios more reliably - not to make it a bulky-ass motherf*cker. Also the fact that you are saying Aegi is in Blade Form 99% of the time makes me laugh as, outside of non-KS sets (i.e. the ones which don't force 50:50s), Aegi will typically be in shield form 40-50% of the time, depending on the match. Heatran only ever carries roar if it is SpD due to the -6 or whatever it is priority. Bisharp causes 50:50s v.s. special attackers, yes, but it needs to get in on them first, which is easier said than done considering just how many carry Fire-/Fighting-type coverage - not to mention that it is only ever a true 50:50 in late-game scenarios or if your opponent still needs Defog. There are so many holes in your attempt to find holes that it is kind of funny. I agree that the 50:50 argument isn't a great one, but you seem to have completely missed the point with it and missed what the holes in it actually are.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Protect is horrible on T-Tar .-. Also, Bisharp is frail due to its abysmal HP effectively negating its good defense, and Assault Vest is mainly used to allow it to switch in on stuff like Latios more reliably - not to make it a bulky-ass motherf*cker. Also the fact that you are saying Aegi is in Blade Form 99% of the time makes me laugh as, outside of non-KS sets (i.e. the ones which don't force 50:50s), Aegi will typically be in shield form 40-50% of the time, depending on the match. Heatran only ever carries roar if it is SpD due to the -6 or whatever it is priority. Bisharp causes 50:50s v.s. special attackers, yes, but it needs to get in on them first, which is easier said than done considering just how many carry Fire-/Fighting-type coverage - not to mention that it is only ever a true 50:50 in late-game scenarios or if your opponent still needs Defog. There are so many holes in your attempt to find holes that it is kind of funny. I agree that the 50:50 argument isn't a great one, but you seem to have completely missed the point with it and missed what the holes in it actually are.
Ttar was just an example, but the point is you'll be caught off guard with some sets/
Bisharp has more base hp than aegislash. I'm not saying it's the bulkiest thing ever, but I'm saying it's far bulkier than aegislash blade.
Aegislash, in the 50-50 scenarios, if it's about to click king shield, probably just clicked an attack, so it's most likely in blade form.
Bisharp can switch in to stuff like latios to cause the 50-50, and i'd like to ask how did aegislash get in to cause this 50-50? That's easier said than done considering just how many mons carry fire, dark, ground, or ghost coverage. As for your next statement, aegislash is too slow to sweep through teams, so does that mean that that it isn't a true 50-50?
There are so many holes in your argument to pointing out holes in my argument to pointing out holes in your argument that it is quite hilarious. And I'd like to point out that in your final statement, you agree that the 50-50 argument isn't a great one and that there are actually holes in them.
And I'd like to show this video from the goomy. Listen to the part about aegislash and the end to see arguments why aegislash shouldnt have been banned, and arguments as to why it needs to come back.
29:15
and he talks about why oras ou is ass and why we need aegislash back at 37:05

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
if you're gonna make a point make it yourself don't expect us to watch a 43 minute long video holy shit.

Anyways, so far Aegislash has been...well, I'm really mixed on it. It's powerful and useful, that's for certain, but it really almost feels like cheating. It heavily affects my team building options, certainly, but at the same time I'm not sure if it feels like too much.

I will say this though I am not a fan of how unstoppable mega lopunny is now. Aegislash ladder is way too kind to it.

I don't get at all what you're trying to prove thesecondbest, I want aegislash back as much as you but a flawed argument is a flawed argument.

I could say landorus-I shouldn't be banned because magnemite and aron can do shenanigans with endeavor, berry juice recycle, etc.. however they are obviously never going to be influential in practice. I agree that the 50/50 argument isn't as consistent and constant in comparison to other metagame threats like others are claiming, however your descriptions and evidence to back up your claim isn't the strongest to be taken seriously if you want to convince pro-ban to be anti-ban. For example, say tyranitar does have protect, he'd still have to get a luck based double protect (luck as in RNG) to stop hawlucha, and never would you want to actually stay in on hawlucha with a tyranitar when there is another answer. Comparing aegislash's defenses in blade form seems unreasonable because the majority of the time, blade form's defenses will never actually be applyable unless it's up against quaqsire, gastrodon, steelix, aggron, quiet sylveon, brave azumaril (which I've been seeing), slowbro, hippowdon, or the like. With only a handful actually seen in OU practice.

However 50/50 scenarios like heatran roaring keldeo as it subs or predicts latios with icy wind while still risking a burn or poison on switch are strong points that compare to aegislash's similar mindgames and predictions. One thing players will be expecting is aegislash to have the KS and play carefully, while other mons the protect will be a complete guessing game and it only seen on a couple sets or is flat out never really used on it. (when was the last time you seen a protect ttar?)

If aegislash is to be banned, I can understand it on the logic that he is extremely versatile and difficult to reliably check, and I hope if he does be banned, that is the reasoning behind player's voting for the ban rather than biased arguments like 50/50s and just wanting another threat out of the metagame for convenience, or flat out false statements that have evidence on the ladder, such as overcentralization when metagame threats are still versatile and threatening. However I personally haven't been convinced that his difficulty to check is no risk high reward like greninja who can u-turn or outspeeds and stops most revenge killers cold, or can change types to make revenge killers a liability.

Last edited:
You don't even know the mon is carrying protect.

What if a ttar reveals it on your hawlucha? You expect it on aegi/ so it's not as bad as anyone popping it out of nowhere. Talking about more destructive consequences, a heatran fire blast, magma storm, or even flamethrower iirc does more damage to a neutral then a shadow ball from aegi/. the only difference is the attack drop, but you can get twaved on the ks, while heatran is 100% safe. Additionally, heatran gets roar, so it can't be set up on by anything. I think (I forget who's comparison this was, sorry) this heatran aegi/ comparison is better than my shedinja one.
First of all, what is protect TTar actually doing in the first place? We are assuming that battles take place outside of low ladder, so keep this ridiculousness out of the thread please.
Blade Aegi has awful bulk, we know that. what I don't get is why that is relevant. If you mispredict with a physical non EQ or Bish attacker, you are at -2 V Shield Aegi, which is the main problem. Yes, blade is frail AF and slaughtered by any non resisted attack, but if it goes down in blade, it's a mispredict by the Aegi or a sack. This only matters for LO Aegi, and I ain't predicting a KS from LO Aegi out of low ladder.
"The Balloon set" is broad AF. I can run SD balloon, pursuit trapper balloon, mixed balloon, any form of 3 attacks + KS, hell even SubToxic balloon if I wanted. The only Aegi which can't run balloon and work right is 4 attacks, so that means only 1 of Aegi's sets isn't borked, right?
And finally, It's the players choice to make a risky switch. It's also not a pure 50/50, and most of the time a good player would never risk it with a 4X ice weak mon, and would only switch in with Hippo or Exca for a ground type. The point is, you should never be put at such a disadvantage as a -2 for attacking. It's not a risky prediction move, it's a simple attack. Iron Barbs, rough skin and rocky helmet are negligible compared to what's basically a forced switch. Although it isn't the best argument, there are massive differences from a Lando-T switching in to a mon that typically carries HP Ice.

It's been said many times before, but I feel the need to stress that the whole "50/50" thing is meaningless argument that doesn't support either side of this suspect test. By definition, 50/50 situations do not favor one side in terms of probability. However these situations CAN work in one's favor because of specific risk/reward, but Aegislash does not create these favorable situations just by existing. The tier is clearly full of both setup sweepers and support mons that enjoy taking advantage of Aegislash by pressuring it to revert to Shield Forme, so I don't understand the argument that these situations tend to favor the Aegislash user in any special way.

More importantly, 50/50 situations obviously aren't limited to Aegislash. This game is all about assessing risk/reward which leads to a lot of seemingly coinflip-like scenarios, especially in regards to offense vs offense match-ups where players usually subject themselves to high risk/high reward decisions. In other words 50/50s are fine now and were never problematic to begin with. It's just that nothing screams "50/50" quite like Aegislash does by nature of having two forms and a higher-reward version of Protect.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
if you're gonna make a point make it yourself don't expect us to watch a 43 minute long video holy shit.

Anyways, so far Aegislash has been...well, I'm really mixed on it. It's powerful and useful, that's for certain, but it really almost feels like cheating. It heavily affects my team building options, certainly, but at the same time I'm not sure if it feels like too much.

I will say this though I am not a fan of how unstoppable mega lopunny is now. Aegislash ladder is way too kind to it.
I linked the times of the parts you should watch, people should just watch those instead of complaining that someone posts good content :?
mega lopunny is harmed by ks more than every other mon, i have no clue why people say it beats aegislash
The point is, you should never be put at such a disadvantage as a -2 for attacking. It's not a risky prediction move, it's a simple attack. Iron Barbs, rough skin and rocky helmet are negligible compared to what's basically a forced switch. Although it isn't the best argument, there are massive differences from a Lando-T switching in to a mon that typically carries HP Ice.
So are we going to ban chesnaught and cacturne too for creating 50-50s with spiky shield?
even if the 50-50 argument holds guys, it's not a reason to ban. We should really stop talking about it and just focus on if aegislash is too good at checking the meta with its typing.
Like the person said in the video at the timestamps, "Mons is a game of prediction. If you don't want to predict, go play something else."
EDIT: Ninja'd, see above post for why 50-50 argument is weak af
aegislash's defenses in blade form seems unreasonable because the majority of the time, blade form's defenses will never actually be applyable unless it's up against quaqsire, gastrodon, steelix, aggron, quiet sylveon, brave azumaril (which I've been seeing), slowbro, hippowdon, or the like. With only a handful actually seen in OU practice.
If aegislash is to be banned, I can understand it on the logic that he is extremely versatile and difficult to reliably check, and I hope if he does be banned, that is the reasoning behind player's voting for the ban rather than biased arguments like 50/50s and just wanting another threat out of the metagame for convenience, or flat out false statements that have evidence on the ladder, such as overcentralization when metagame threats are still versatile and threatening.
Aegislash blades defenses come in to play because you are considering whether to click ks or not, meaning you most likely didnt click it last turn, so if you've been in for at least a turn, you're going to be in blade form. Sorry for not clarifying that either.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ttar was just an example, but the point is you'll be caught off guard with some sets/
Bisharp has more base hp than aegislash. I'm not saying it's the bulkiest thing ever, but I'm saying it's far bulkier than aegislash blade.
Aegislash, in the 50-50 scenarios, if it's about to click king shield, probably just clicked an attack, so it's most likely in blade form.
Bisharp can switch in to stuff like latios to cause the 50-50, and i'd like to ask how did aegislash get in to cause this 50-50? That's easier said than done considering just how many mons carry fire, dark, ground, or ghost coverage. As for your next statement, aegislash is too slow to sweep through teams, so does that mean that that it isn't a true 50-50?
Firstly, the first bolded part. You are forgetting about SubToxic for a start, which only switches to blade on one of its attacks, and that is also forgetting the fact that King's Shield and Shadow Ball are almost always the two moves that are clicked, which results in Aegislash being in Shield form around the same amount as it is in blade form. Typically, and Aegislash won't come in and attack off of the bat as that is potentially suicidal (and we're here with the 50:50s already - didn't think i'd get there yet), and it is generally slower than what it attacks due to its less than impressive speed and tendency to run Quiet (less of a 50:50 then...) - not to mention that you don't switch Aegislash in on stuff which you know has Fire, Dark, Ground or Ghost coverage in the first place, and the sheer fact that it has the bulk to switch in on them at all is really something impressive. I've never liked the 'effective 720 BST' argument that much, but I am going to bring it up here as it is applicable in this situation. Additionally, Bisharp's defenses simply don't back up its HP, while Aegi's do, giving it very impressive bulk on the whole - imagine Blissey with a 70-ish stat in both its defense and special defense and you have a rough idea of how bulky Aegislash-Shield is.

Now for the second bolded part. UNLESS IT IS FAST SWORDS DANCE IT IS NOT A SWEEPER!!! The fact that you think that Aegislash is a sweeper shows how you lack understanding of the Pokémon. Aegislash is slow and bulky - much like Band Azumarill. This means that it lends itself heavily towards being a wallbreaker - not a sweeper. The fact that you think that Aegislash doesn't force 50:50s because it 'isn't able to sweep the opponent' is laughable, and the main reason that Bisharp's '50:50s' aren't usually true 50:50s is because they are reliant on conditions such as being late game or the opposing pokemon being a Defog user/Talonflame to be consequential coin flips.
There are so many holes in your argument to pointing out holes in my argument to pointing out holes in your argument that it is quite hilarious. And I'd like to point out that in your final statement, you agree that the 50-50 argument isn't a great one and that there are actually holes in them.
The holes in the argument for 50:50s are there, but that doesn't all of a sudden make it completely invalid. There are holes in any argument - pro or anti ban - but the anti ban arguments are usually more 'holey' due to them going against the main principle of Smogon's banning system in the first place or being argued by people who don't really know what they are talking about.
And I'd like to show this video from the goomy. Listen to the part about aegislash and the end to see arguments why aegislash shouldnt have been banned, and arguments as to why it needs to come back.
29:15
and he talks about why oras ou is ass and why we need aegislash back at 37:05
I've just listened to about a minute of him talking about the metagame post-Genesect and I can already tell that he doesn't really know that much about what he is talking about. For starters, offense getting "less viable" is not necessary a bad thing as it opens up a larger number of play styles. In addition, I actually disagree with the statement, as if you look at the meta atm you can see that stall is a rather poor strategy, with the metagame lending itself more towards offensive and balanced playstyles. The metagame is more balanced without the things that were banned in the XY era to a point (down to interpretation), and tbh this meta is about ten times more fun than the one without Aegislash to 'balance' it out. The whole premise of it is completely flawed and poorly thought out.
mega lopunny is harmed by ks more than every other mon, i have no clue why people say it beats aegislash
It is a soft check to Aegislash as it wins some of the time. It can switch in and can deal heavy damage with a STAB Scrappy HJK, as it will still be dealing decent damage at -2 due to the raw power of HJK. It isn't an end-all answer to it, but it is a soft check to it.
So are we going to ban chesnaught and cacturne too for creating 50-50s with spiky shield?
This post proves nothing other than the fact that you have no idea what a 50:50 is.
Like the person said in the video at the timestamps, "Mons is a game of prediction. If you don't want to predict, go play something else."
Yeah: pokemon is a game of prediction. But not every turn is a 50:50, which is the flaw of the "50:50s are a bad argument because predictions" argument.
[/quote]Aegislash blades defenses come in to play because you are considering whether to click ks or not, meaning you most likely didnt click it last turn, so if you've been in for at least a turn, you're going to be in blade form. Sorry for not clarifying that either.[/quote]
They very rarely do though. If your opponent brings in something which can easily deal with a blade Aegislash, you switch to Shield form or you switch, and it is also forgetting that most Aegi carry Shadow Sneak, reducing the range of scenarios where this can happen due to it meaning that most things that are below, say, 20% that are not immune/resistant to ghost is not able to reliably deal with Aegi.

I was tempted to make the same comparison, however I can't say king's shield is like spiky shield. For one, you're only taking some minor chip damage, and nothing more. The two users of it, common HJK users wouldn't use HJK on to begin with. Lopunny can't stay in on drain punch to begin with an doesn't threaten chesnaught in the slightest, cacturn can't really do anything and lop can use return instead, while not even being OU viable. HJK scenarios would be applyable to aegislash in this case as unlike chesnaught, lopunny would like to OHKO an aegislash with HJK, but it has to play carefully. Same case with ferro, lopunny would want to HJK it but the chance of protect is still there potentially hurting it, and if lopunny goes for return instead, it can be t-waved or gyro balled. Likewise with sacred sword from slash. Not saying that lopunny of course isn't a check, just the scenario is a bit different when you think about what would and wouldn't actually want to directly attack chesnaught or aegislash and how crippling their effects are in the misprediction (no single pokemon cares for 1/16 HP loss on Spiky shield even if azumaril is play roughing it, however if azumaril is knocking off aegislash then he is bothered by -2 attack drop, but even then, brave azumaril beats 1v1 most aegis, -2 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 334-394 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO).

Aegislash blades defenses come in to play because you are considering whether to click ks or not, meaning you most likely didnt click it last turn, so if you've been in for at least a turn, you're going to be in blade form. Sorry for not clarifying that either.
This is assuming aegi isn't going for KS or switching out. No matter what he does, this would only apply against a slower mon who hits blade form 100% of the time, however the majority of the time, anything that outspeeds will be hitting shield form first before blade form, and he won't be randomly shadow sneaking threats that he obvious won't KO.

I'll agree that the 50/50 comparison for Aegislash is the weakest of the reasons to want it banned (as a Pro-Ban player); that said, I think the issue is just with how excessive they are.

In a typical 50/50 scenario, it usually occurs because one player is in control of momentum and the other is making a risky play to try and get it back on their side. If Bisharp is creating a Pursuit/Sucker Punch 50/50 against Latios, it first means he had to get on the field with decent health, which probably means the Bisharp player was in control of momentum in some form to have gotten that chance. With Aegislash, he can force them without any specific circumstance because of how King's Shield functions on it.

The thing about King's Shield is that unlike most 50/50's, Aegislash almost always has an option that benefits him at the outcome: even if he predicts wrong on King's Shield while the opponent doesn't attack directly, he's reverted to Shield form with heightened defenses, meaning the follow up attack he has to take is more survivable before his retaliation with something like Shadow ball. In the above Latios scenario, Bisharp has scenarios in which he gains nothing of note: If he predicts wrong and Sucker Punches a switch, he wastes a turn (and a PP for such a vital low PP move); if he predicts wrong on Pursuit, he's taking an attack he's likely not going to survive. Both scenarios end with Bisharp suffering a loss without any type of gain. Aegislash stands to gain something from almost every scenario bar "attack in Blade Form + Faster opponent attacks too".

In fact, I think the "50/50's" belie the thing that really makes Aegislash such a controlling force as a blanket check: Aegislash can grab momentum on the offensive or defensive in just about all but the most desperate situations. With the numerous threats Aegislash checks/counters, he can come into their rampage and immediately put momentum they would have grabbed onto his side; likewise, Aegislash coming in while already controlling momentum makes it even harder to take back because the situation gives him the initiative to act and weaken the opponent. I tend to find 50/50's are situations that should represent how momentum is changing hands in the match. Aegislash causing excessive "50/50's" is representative of how easily he gives a "losing" player the chance to get momentum back on their side (since they probably won't try to create a prediction scenario if they're already on a roll). Yes, 50/50's occur with plenty of Pokemon besides Aegislash, but Aegislash allows them to happen by being on the field rather than through careful play. Most other 50/50's that commonly occur happen because one player is in a tight situation and such is their best option to stagger their opponent's momentum.

I think something with Lopunny and Aegislash that people overlook is Subtitute Lopunny. Mega Lop can Sub on a predicted King's Shield and then HJK/Drain Punch afterwards easily, forcing Aegislash out. If Aegislash uses Secret Sword instead of switching or using KS, that breaks the Sub, but 1) you've scouted the move and possibly the item and 2) Aegislash is vulnerable in Blade form, making him likely to King's Shield aftwewards if he has the move in the first place.

Mega Lopunny is a pretty good check to Aegislash and the Ghost immunity helps. In no way is it a complete answer, but it's good.

I think something with Lopunny and Aegislash that people overlook is Subtitute Lopunny. Mega Lop can Sub on a predicted King's Shield and then HJK/Drain Punch afterwards easily, forcing Aegislash out. If Aegislash uses Secret Sword instead of switching or using KS, that breaks the Sub, but 1) you've scouted the move and possibly the item and 2) Aegislash is vulnerable in Blade form, making him likely to King's Shield aftwewards if he has the move in the first place.

Mega Lopunny is a pretty good check to Aegislash and the Ghost immunity helps. In no way is it a complete answer, but it's good.
Nobody here has denied she is a good check, and encore also accomplishes the same thing well with a predicted attack - it is still risky to attack on KS because they can attempt to spam it and they may have a chance it re-activates. But it is more or less akin to Diggersby since it is reliant on proper prediction so to speak.

After playing a decent number of games on the suspect ladder, I've noticed that Aegislash isn't exactly "kill everything gg" broken, though it still hits really hard, like it did back in XY. 50-50s seem like a potent problem on paper and I have encountered a few of them in my games. I've also found it somewhat difficult to switch into at times. However, all of these factors aren't quite as relevant as they've been made out to be. The bigger phenomenon that I see is that Aegis amplifying the threat of a group of previously powerful Pokemon, like Landorus. The synergy that Aegis offers with these 'mons like Lando and Keldeo makes its ability to support a team, via breaking/hitting hard/eating hits, more relevant than its potential in a vacuum. I'm leaning towards bringing it back down because it adds emphasis to the synergy between pokemon instead of several pokemon supporting an absurdly powerful wincon that the opponent may or may not have prepared for.

After playing a decent number of games on the suspect ladder, I've noticed that Aegislash isn't exactly "kill everything gg" broken, though it still hits really hard, like it did back in XY. 50-50s seem like a potent problem on paper and I have encountered a few of them in my games. I've also found it somewhat difficult to switch into at times. However, all of these factors aren't quite as relevant as they've been made out to be. The bigger phenomenon that I see is that Aegis amplifying the threat of a group of previously powerful Pokemon, like Landorus. The synergy that Aegis offers with these 'mons like Lando and Keldeo makes its ability to support a team, via breaking/hitting hard/eating hits, more relevant than its potential in a vacuum. I'm leaning towards bringing it back down because it adds emphasis to the synergy between pokemon instead of several pokemon supporting an absurdly powerful wincon that the opponent may or may not have prepared for.
Except Aegislash supports its team by getting rid of any defensive threats they want gone - Aegislash takes a dump on the opponent's defensive synergy because it can target any select number of Pokemon, given its set, that would normally switch in on it, and cripple or dispatch them for its teammates to take advantage of - the problem in its ability to take down ANY of these defensive checks. Not 50/50s, less so blanket checking the entire meta, though that it a problem, and the synergy it offers is what allows Aegislash to pull this off.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
So after getting voting reqs, I thought I'd post my thoughts on whether Aegislash should or shouldn't be unbanned from ubers and talk about both the OU and OU suspect metagame in general, since both are incredibly significant in the long, detailed post I'm about to make.

Contrary to a lot of players judging from the amazing as always Overused chatroom discussions and awesome, thoughtful posts in the past Mega Metagross suspect thread, I for one find ORAS OU to be perfectly fine at the moment. The ORAS OU tier has all the characteristics of a fun and healthy metagame: incredible playstyle diversity, which allows you to run pretty much any playstyle you want ranging from offense to stall and still be successful, good pokemon diversity, allowing you to pick which pokemon you want to utilize from the absurd number of options available, meaning you can also use pokemon that are typically found only in the lower tiers to some success, such as regular Kyurem, Dragalge, and Reuniclus, a constantly evolving metagame, as literally each week there is a certain pokemon or core that suddenly becomes popular which causes the metagame to adapt to it, and in general, ORAS OU is just a fun, stabilized tier.

Let me go over why I think ORAS OU is a perfectly fine tier (pre-suspect ladder, so without Aegislash). First, it is a constantly evolving metagame. New metagame shifts happen almost constantly because of a sudden rise in popularity of a certain pokemon, which causes everybody to either use this threat themselves or find ways to beat this threat, which is always a good thing. Because of this, you can create perhaps the most perfect team out there, and then two weeks from now, it won't be nearly as effective because the metagame in which it was once built with regards to has now changed. One example of this I can think about in the top of my head is the role of a bulky ground type. Previously, a few months ago, Landorus-T was by far the most popular bulky ground type people would fit on their teams, more specifically, the choice scarf set, which allowed it to revenge kill certain pokemon, scout, and act as a really good offense and defensive pivot all at the same time. As that faded away, people realized another Ground type that had a ton of potential, which was Swords Dance specially defensive Gliscor, due to the rising surge of the monstrosity known as Mega Sableye. It had natural healing, good longevity and bulk, and just destroyed most balanced teams once Keldeo was weakened. After the Gliscor craze died down, and we look at the metagame to how it was right before the suspect started, Garchomp has taken over as the #1 most used bulky ground type on the ladder, specifically its fat rocky helmet set, which allows it to tank an abundance of physical attacks while greatly damaging the opponent in the process as well. In the tour scene, Hippowdon is right up there with Garchomp in terms of usage because of its great bulk and instant recovery with Slack Off. Now, why is a constantly evolving metagame good? For one, it means the metagame isn't stale and boring. It also means that the metagame isn't centralized around a few centered pokemon, otherwise they would just limit any metagame shifts that would occur.

Another reason why I think ORAS OU is a fine tier is the incredible diversity in the tier. Quite literally, you can use any playstyle you want and still be successful. Stall, balance, and offense are all perfectly viable in the non-suspect metagame which allows for countless options. It's not like in BW2 where full stall was around no where to be seen because of the perfectly balanced pokemon Kyurem-b, or GSC OU, where the metagame in general is incredibly slow due to the obviously not broken or centralizing or warranting a suspect threat known as Snorlax. In addition to this playstyle diversity, there is also a pokemon diversity, meaning there are numerous lower tier pokemon you can use to good effect granted you give it good support. Good examples of these lower tier pokemon that can be used to great effectiveness I can think of the top of my head include Slowking, which can check many of the top threats of the metagame such as Metagross, Keldeo, and Landorus, and Dragalge, which has proven to be an incredibly solid bulky toxic spikes user as well as an extremely hard hitting pokemon vs slower teams.

In short, I think ORAS OU is fine how it is, and all the people bitching about how shitty it is due to matchup or other factors are either a) bandwagoning, or b) too lazy to build good teams that struggle vs some threats, and when they lose to said threats, they just use matchup as an excuse to why they lost. This is generation 6, not ADV; there's around 700+ pokemon in the game so ofc matchup is obviously a bigger factor compared to in previous gens, but you know what? This factor is only going to get bigger in future generations and theres not much we can do to remedy this problem. You don't like it, go play RBY or something where there's a Chansey/Alakazam in like 3/4ths of all teams and then call that "fun" and "balanced". What we can do, and what many of you don't seem to get, is how to play around these threats by building solid teams. Generation 6 is a generation in which teambuilding skills are incredibly important, because you have to think outside of the box to beat your opponent or to minimize the number of threats you're weak to. Certain teambuilders I can think of which exemplify this are craing, tesung, and style, all of which utilize unique pokemon and play countless styles so they know how to use pokemon to their maximum potential. This can also explain why many veterans of past generations fail to leave a mark in today's metagame.

Now, let's talk about what adding Aegislash does for this metagame and all the negative consequences it would add.

Aegislash, to put it bluntly, is extremely toxic for the metagame and will hinder the metagame from ever evolving or getting better. It makes the metagame horrible and unenjoyable to play at all for various reasons. For one, that amazing diversity I was talking about earlier that applied to ORAS OU is completely gone when you play or watch games from the suspect ladder. There is no diversity, everyone spams nearly the same team and the playstyle diversity is gone because offense is by far the most popular playstyle by a large margin; balance has experienced a significant decrease in terms of popularity and stall has become extremely rare. Aegislash prevents the metagame from ever growing because it dissuades the logic of creativity by making an abundance of otherwise perfectly viable and effective pokemon liabilities in the current metagame or quite frankly, just not good at all. In fact, Aegislash just makes many of the top threats even more powerful by making many of these top threats' checks and counters liabilities to have in the tier, and thus the ladder right now is pretty much filled with teams abusing these top threats while the rest of the pokemon see a tremendous decrease in usage.

Wanna know whats a good and potent core to use on the suspect ladder? It's *insert pokemon here* + Aegislash. You might think I may be exaggerating, but I'm really not. Let's look at some examples. Keldeo is one I've seen many talk about on this thread. Glancing at many of the more common counters/checks to Keldeo, you can name pokemon such as Celebi, Latias, Slowbro, Latios, Mega Venusaur, etc. The vast majority of Keldeo switch ins get destroyed by Aegislash, which prevents them from seeing much use because vs Aegislash, you pretty much never ever want to give it a free turn, because that often equates to a pokemon dead or crippled on your team since the amount of pokemon that counter all Aegislash sets is pretty much 0. In turn, all those shaky "checks" to Aegislash such as Hippowdon, Heatran, and Spdef Gliscor all get destroyed by Keldeo. Now that's just one example of a pokemon Aegislash supports tremendously, making Keldeo seem kind of broken on the suspect metagame. Other examples include Landorus and Kyurem-b (since Aegislash conveniently resists all of Kyurem-b's weaknesses). A pokemon that benefits the most with the introduction of Aegislash that I really want to talk about is Mega Lopunny.

Based on my thoughts of the current suspect metagame, and my gathering of thoughts of many other well respected battlers, the single most broken and devastating threat is Mega Lopunny. No other pokemon on the suspect ladder even comes close to the brokenness Lopunny achieves. Mega Metagross, whom many consider to be the best overall pokemon in regular OU, is no where near broken in this metagame. Not with Rocky Helmet Garchomp, Landorus, Sand Excadrill, and Sucker Punch Bisharp everywhere to stop it. Landorus, another pokemon whom many consider to be a top threat in regular OU, is still a threat, but struggles with the fast pace of offensive teams spammed everywhere on ladder where the majority of them can usually outspeed and KO Landorus. Mega Lopunny, on the other hand, thrives in this fast paced metagame because of its unresisted STAB combination allowing it to have two free slots, amazing speed allowing it to outspeed the vast majority of the metagame, its hard hitting attacks, and most importantly, one of the few mega physical attackers who can actually beat Aegislash. It excels at beating offense, which has become the most popular playstyle on the ladder where nothing on these types of teams usually have a switch in to it. Aegislash warps the metagame and makes the metagame adapt to it, not the other way around. This is why the most popular and effective teams at the moment usually consist of Landorus/Keldeo/Aegislash/Lopunny/Bisharp/filler. Obviously there are some other pokemon that are being used quite a lot too, such as Sand Rush Excadrill and Garchomp. Notice a trend? These pokemon that are the most popular and effective in this metagame can all beat Aegislash. If you have a pokemon that loses to Aegislash, it often means you give it a free turn and have to sac something in order to deal with it, which is obviously an issue when you look at just how many pokemon in the metagame Aegislash beats and makes almost unusable (i.e celebi & jirachi). Aegislash makes all of these offensive threats even harder to deal with. Lopunny was perfectly fine in regular OU, but because it shares perfect type synergy and offensive synergy with Aegislash, it has become the most broken thing out there. These offensive powerhouses pretty much made stall disappear on ladder and is making balance more and more rare overtime since these passive teams can't usually put up with the fast paced hard hitting metagame.

Now, I know some of you are probably going to say, "big deal, you like regular ORAS OU and hate the suspect ladder, but making the metagame unenjoyable to play isn't a reason to ban something", but no worries, I will explain why I believe Aegislash to be broken as well.

1. Aegislash is broken because of the severe and unhealthy metagame centralization it causes. It causes so many otherwise usable pokemon to see extremely low usage JUST because it exists in the tier, not even when your opponent is actually using it. This is why Celebi/Jirachi/Starmie were UU for the longest time in XY OU; because Aegislash prevented them from seeing much usage when it became pretty clear that all three of these are very good choices for the metagame once it was banned.

2. Aegislash is broken because of its sheer unpredictability and how effortlessly easy it is to slap it on a random team. If you have a certain role you want your sixth pokemon to be able to do, Aegislash will often be able to perform said role without much difficulty (i.e wall breaker, offensive pivot, etc). Let's not forget about how many ways there are to abuse Aegislash, which makes it have virtually 0 universal counters. People keep bringing shit up that they think "counter" Aegislash such as Mandibuzz and Hippowdon when they really don't at all. Mandibuzz really only beats the one and main Aegislash set, but it loses to almost all the others such as SD Head Smash, Sub Toxic, LO Flash Cannon.... Hippowdon also loses to Sub Toxic and LO Flash Cannon, which makes these Aegislash "checks" not very good checks at all. Pretty much the closest thing to a universal counter to Aegislash is Specially Defensive Gliscor, but remember when Spdef Gliscor actually walled Landorus but now Landorus beats it thanks to an amazing move called Hidden Power Ice? Aegislash can do the same thing, and if this catches on, just like Landorus, Gliscor won't be an Aegislash counter anymore.

3. Aegislash can be deemed broken under the Support characteristic because it supports and makes not just one, but a handful of threats becoming too good and near broken by themselves because of how easily it can form a core with other pokemon. It makes more sense to just ban Aegislash instead of the myraid of threats that can otherwise be deemed broken, such as Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, and Landorus, as stated previously. To that person before who said that if Landorus is broken in the suspect ladder we should ban Landorus and not Aegi, this would only apply if Landorus was the only pokemon in which Aegislash supports well, which clearly isn't true at all. That kind of thinking is definitely flawed logic.

Add that WITH the fact that Aegi makes ORAS OU an incredibly unfun tier, and it's easy to see why Aegislash should remain banned.

There's a bunch of people that are fighting to unban Aegislash from ubers by saying stuff like "Aegislash doesn't hit hard enough, it's not like Landorus which hits extremely hard, pls unban" or "Aegislash doesn't even wall shit like Mega Altaria & Mega Metagross lel they can just beat it w/ fire blast & eq!!!!" First off, assuming these statements are true, this still doesn't make Aegislash any less broken when you look at all the factors that I've pointed above. Now to address those people who made the dumb statement that Landorus hits harder than Aegislash, how are you seriously going to tell me that Aegislash "doesn't hit that hard" when it can literally OHKO-2HKO all relevant members of a stall team, or just all pokemon in the tier, with just ONE set (the LO attacker with four attacks)? I'd like you to use a stall team vs that variant of Aegislash and then say it doesn't hit hard enough when all your pokes literally get ohko-2hkoed by it. And to those people that say Aegislash is a horrible counter to some pokemon because they carry a move thats super effective vs it, yeah sure, Aegislash may not wall Metagross as well as Skarmory does, but at the same token, theres a bunch more pokemon switching in on Skarmory or some other obscure wall then Aegislash, which quite often KOes something on the switch. And no one even said Aegislash is supposed to be a counter to said pokemon, it's a check, it prevents these pokemon from spamming their main powerful STAB moves and then either threatens them with a KO or hits something extremely hard on the switch.

Aegislash is both broken and is incredibly unhealthy for the metagame and thus I believe it should remain banned in Ubers.

I pretty much agree with all of your points with the exception of Aegislash making certain playstyles more appealing than others. Judging from my own suspect laddering experiences, I've actually seen all kinds of unique teams with and without Aegislash. In the short term, Aegislash has already made a huge impact on teambuilding which isn't necessarily bad or good. People are coming up with all sorts of creative methods to dealing with Aegislash's pivoting bullshit and all of this overcompensation is actually making Aegislash a bit underwhelming. Obviously doesn't mean Aegislash belongs in OU because it really doesn't. It's insanely good for pretty much any type of team, making it splashableand thus over-centralizing. I like that you elaborated on Aegislash hindering the evolution of the metagame, because that was one of my biggest concerns. Its defensive typing alone hinders diversity and basically stagnates the metagame by preventing any future shifts, unless these shifts somehow work against aegislash's viability. Obviously that's not happening.

nice essay A-

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, so I just got the reqs, and, in my opinion, keep this thing banned. It forces way too many 50-50s via King's Shield and seriously restricts movesets. Suddenly, Pinsir has to run EQ as does Metagross, and CB Pokemon lose much of their viability. It also makes stall even more potent as Mega Gard goes down in viability. Additionally, Aegi's ridiculous 150 base offenses make it extremely difficult for Pokemon that don't resist its STABs to switch in. Moreover, Spike-stacking + Aegi is cancer since it opens up so many 2HKOs and OHKOs.

Aegislash reduces teambuilding and is hard to check. Also, it forces coinflips which intrinsically reduces the role of skill in the game. Also, I don't favor banning King's Shield to allow Aegi into the game. It's too convoluted. We might as well allow people to use Primal Groudon in OU provided they don't use any STAB or setup moves.

Keep Aegi banned; don't change a thing.

First off all im gonna state that while I do support this suspect test its only because of how the last vote ended and I want nothing more then to see the controversy cleared up so that we can atlast move on with the metagame whichever way it goes. I do however still think aegisslash is broken and my experience's on the suspect ladder have done little to change that perception.

It still blanket checks far to much of the metagame for one pokemon, a fact nobody can deny and has utterly no counters at all in Ou and few hard checks whom can still be taken out with the right move leading directly to stagnated, boring metagame with little evolution possible. It create's momentum shifting coinflips everytime it comes in and wins battle's it shouldn't just because of its presence. I'm not talking sucker punch or weather altaria is cottenguard or special 50/50. I'm talking pick wrong and lose 50/50 that still end up in aegis's favour if you pick right. Its literraly the same centerilising pokemon as in X/Y and with the expection of gaining 1 hard check in mega lopunny literally nothing has changed concerning it. Same effect on driving fighters and psychics out of the game, Same Aegis + aegis check teams as before and the same pokemon whom checked him previously. I'm talking Bisharp, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Umbreon (Whom would not see usage otherwise) and Lopunny thrown in. Can anybody actually tell me what's different this time around because I plainly dont see it.

Match-up issues you say?. My answer is it makes it worse as you have less options to deal with the likes of lando and keldeo whom without Psychics and fairies are extremely difficult to check and Personally I prefer a diverse format where I occasionally lose to a random hawlucha or Scarf Gardevoir then one where I have to take Lopunny, Gliscor and 1 of 3 darks just to ensure I dont get destroyed by some random sword set.

The thing that speaks to me most of all and declare's just how broken Aegisslash is the fact it turns entire type's into liabilities and force's other's to carry coverage they would not otherwise. It's almost like the primal-don of OU where anything that gives it a free switch is pretty much rendered unviable just because it exists. With the exception of Gothitelle(Shadow Tag), Keldeo (Water attacks) and Lopunny(fast scrappy user) pretty much any psychic or fighter allows aegis to come in and either set up or Fire off a shadow ball whilst fairies and steels are forced to take coverage moves or run weird spreads (I've seen brave azumarill and babiri berry/shadow ball Clefable for heavens sake) they would otherwise never do just to avoid being walled by aegis. By extension this has made pokemon like lopunny, lando-I, Thundo-I and both zards much more difficult to deal with since the bulk of there checks came from pokemon aegis remove's from the meta.

Aegis pretty which everway we look at it fails to help the meta, creating a stale metagame devoid of diversity. It makes already hard to check pokemon even harder to deal with, It makes entire types irrelevent and Blanket checks to much thanks to sheer unpredictably, typing and stats. Please leave aegisslash in Ubers and Vote BAN

In my opinion, keep Aegislash banned. It's ability to force 50/50s constantly and to completely make Mons/and or sets irrelevant is something that OU isn't benefiting from. Mega Gardevoir for example, a mon that was increasing in usage and constantly being a threat to teams, is completely useless with Aegislash in the meta. It completely walls it no matter what the set is and will win the match up 99% of the time.

252+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 102-122 (31.4 - 37.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Gyro Ball (66 BP) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 278-330 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is the standard SpDef Aegislash spread and as you can clearly see Hidden Power Fire does nothing to it. Doesn't even bother it while Aegislash is able to OHKO it with Gyro Ball. It is hard to have a reliable check/counter to it, Especially if you're facing the four attacks set. People are contemplating banning King's Shield which is even the main reason why Aegislash is so efficient. It's stats are the reason why, King's shield is merely just the icing on the cake. Taking away King's shield will still allow Aegislash to be a VERY effective attacker. Fantastic spinners such as Starmie will completely drop in usage because of Aegislash's presence. It can switch in, take a hit or two from Starmie(If they predict correctly) and either Shadow Sneak or Pursuit and just like that Starmie will become absolutely useless. All team variety will go out of the window and Excadril and Mandibuzz will be on every single team. Running one of the Lati@s as a defogger is too risky because of how easily Aegislash deals with it. It forces Pokemon who don't want to run earthquake, run it anyways just to beat it. Such as Metagross. People may argue using Encore Lopunny to shut down Aegislash but that is still a shaky answer for it, considering that Sacred Sword will completely demolish it. Aegislash limits team-building in so many obvious ways and is not healthy for the meta. If we want to better the Metagame, let's start by getting rid of Lando-I and Mega Metagross. You can count on me to vote ban Aegislash.

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
Well, fuck it I'll say something

After laddering for reqs, my opinion on aegislash is that it is very powerful within the metagame of ORAS OU... and I guess that's the reason why I want it to come back in OU. With it's potential of having a 520 BST and swapping it's attack and defense stats based upon moves it uses, it is able to check a great majority of this already overpowered meta such as Altaria, Gardevior, Lati Twins, Metagross, Clefable, Breloom, Diancie, Starmie, Slowbro, and the list continues. I just feel like it's nice to have something that can glue a team together, removing some of these threats, and using it's ability to handle pretty much all of the playstyles used today. I dont have any based argument to go about here, as I know a lot of people would hate to see this thing get released back to OU again, but is it really something to bitch about saying "it's hard to check" when there is actually a good amount of checks to aegislash that even helps keep OU under control? The useage of mons like Bisharp, Chesnuaght, AV Conkeldurr, Sp Def Hippo, Sp def Talon, and Lando-t (sure there are more checks but cba to get them all) are all alrdy useful in ORAS and can also check Aegislash in the process.

Also, speaking more about it's potential, that fact that it has the capacity to break both offensive and defensive teams is amazing, with the coverage like Shadow Ball to 2hko almost anything in the meta with the correct evds, Sacred Sword to catch the dark and normal types wanting in on a shadow ball, Iron Head/Flash Cannon to beat fairies, Shadow Sneak to revenge kill, and it now gets fuckin Magnet Rise.. If you wanna be crisp, go ahead and teach Aegislash Magnet Rise and Block to catch those hippos on the switch, kill it and you win w/ a manetric... The OU innovator is here.

Concluding note, I want it to stay because it checks much of the metagame, good vs many playstyles, and i love spamming broken shit xd has a wide vareity of sets it can use to keep people on there toes.

Like I said, not much arguement, so for the sake of this post I'll just be a nice guy and post a core I used to get myself reqs and actually number 1 on the ladder.

(no mega lop gif, rip)

Aegislash (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Lopunny (M) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Healing Wish

Pretty damn fun core to use. I hate just running the standard SubToxic or LO 4 atk Aegislash so I thought of just running something fun yet powerful: 3 atk SD LO Aegislash. I'm seeing offense a lot on the ladder since it's now a reliable playstyle, so I figured running somehting along the lines of Set-up priority or just any strong priority would work really well as of now. +2 Adamant LO sneak tbh has a chance to OHKO a max HP shield form aegislash.. yeah it's strong and I love it. SD LO is just scary on anything. Sword is to remove the ferros, slow trans, catching bisharp on the switch, etc. I feel like Iron Head is just perfect for aegislash just because of all of the CM fairies walking about, even on a normal Aegislash I'd use Iron Head over Flash Cannon just for that. Also if aegislash gets wore down too quickly, Lopunny can save the day and healing wish it back up to full. Lopunny is such a monster right now in Aegislash meta. Just it's scrappy ability and also strong enough to ohko opposing aegislash w/ HJK. Evds are standard, and a fun core to try out. Since these both toss things like tran, ferro, and sharp, Raikou is a great partner for them, especially SubCM ones as that can late game clean. Lati or Tor-T are also good partners to switch-in to keldeo to aborb potential burns of try to surprise u w/ a scarf secret sword atk.

Also if you wanna run Jolly Aegislash to surprise the Admanat sharps, feel free, that also works. I just like adamant to spam it's power

These are my thoughts. Let's see how the voting turns out.

One thing I'd like to question,

What's exactly the big deal of magnet rise? I get it lets him get past hippowdon, garchomp, lando, etc.. but doesn't wide guard already do that? With the added benefit of higher priority and ever lasting while also blocking lava plume? I guess it allows him to actually do something instead of only pressing wide guard, but in a likely scenario, he can just toxic hippowdon on switch, and press wide guard to his heart's content. Even if sub, he risk wasting HP when hip can whirlwind away the magnet rise and sub. I actually ran a set like this back in X/Y so I don't see how magnet rise is the next big thing when a similar option was already provided to him. The only thing it doesn't block however is earth power from lando, but meh lando still has knock off shenanigans for magnet rise.

Just wanted to hear thoughts on this as this was something that's been bugging me for sometime after I read somebody bring it up.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

What's exactly the big deal of magnet rise? I get it lets him get past hippowdon, garchomp, lando, etc.. but doesn't wide guard already do that? With the added benefit of higher priority and ever lasting while also blocking lava plume? I guess it allows him to actually do something instead of only pressing wide guard, but in a likely scenario, he can just toxic hippowdon on switch, and press wide guard to his heart's content. Even if sub, he risk wasting HP when hip can whirlwind away the magnet rise and sub. I actually ran a set like this back in X/Y so I don't see how magnet rise is the next big thing when a similar option was already provided to him. The only thing it doesn't block however is earth power from lando, but meh lando still has knock off shenanigans for magnet rise.

Just wanted to hear thoughts on this as this was something that's been bugging me for sometime after I read somebody bring it up.
Magnet Rise forces the switch; wide guard doesn't (except in cases like you mentioned). If a mon is switching in on aegi, it is a check/counter. A team only carries so many switchins, so finding something else to switch in will be a struggle.

Anyway, laddered, disconnected a bunch of times, got reqs, will vote ban.

Already summarized why before, but in terms of suspect ladder experience: Aegislash wasn't as hard to deal with as I originally thought. I was even thinking of voting no-ban. Then I remembered that my team was balance-stally, so it didn't really have an issue with tanking lefties shadow balls. That, on top of the fact that the ladder is dumb, and a lot of the good players weren't even using aegislash, meant that aegi really wasn't a threat.

Then I realized that my team crumbles to fast sd and (ironically) crumblr. Through in gothitelle or magnezone support (or even just overload skarm/venu) and it is a clean kill/sweep every time it comes in. Even better, aegislash has the ability to apply this overloading pressure much better than any other mon, particularly because of how unpredictable it is. You see aegislash, and the goal is to tank a shadow ball. (i got really tired here because it's late, but you probably see where this is going anyway) If it decides to swords dance or head smash, you're shit out of luck, because that mon (like all of aegis checks) is guarenteed to be an important backbone to the team (especially because aegi is still alive). Lots of mons can do this (like charizard), but aegi can do it better idk. Wcar and co said pretty much all that needs to be said anyway. Don't use the ladder as your complete influence, because standard lefties/sball/ssneak/sacred sword aegi is ez to prepare for, and that's all that people use.

Automotize aegi is also pretty legit.

Also, shadow sneak is a big deal that people don't take enough note of. You have a stab priority move coming off of base 150 attack that tons of mons would kill to have. That is, you can't play the "tank a hit then outspeed and ko" game with aegislash, because (especially with lo), that shadow sneak is hitting like a truck, and there aren't many offensive mons that could take a ball and sneak. Both that and kings shield give it this ridiculous survivability because it can both triple its defenses and deliver a stupidly strong clutch priority kill. What a great pokemon. Ban it (owait, already done).

Last edited:

Martin

To add to MikeDawg's post, Wide Guard only works for the turn that it is in effect, making it effectively a worse Protect.

Got the requirement and I'll vote for unban.
I reject every single pro-ban argument that has been made. In particular:
-50/50's are never real 50/50's because most f the time it's painfully obvious when Aegi is either going to switch out or use KS rather than attacking. Remember when some people found Charizard broken because it has 2 mega evos? People have learned that all you need to do is pay attanetion to team preview to guess which one it's going to be (i.e. if the opponent has Tyranitar then it's guaranteed to be Yzard). Same deal applies with Aegislash and the rest of the team: if it's obvious that spooky sword is the only thing standing between a sweep and something it checks, your opponent won't risk losing it. Speaking of which...
-the whole "blanket check" deal. Let me state it clearly: a pivot is a blanket check and a blanket check is a pivot. That's Aegislash's role. That's why it's being proposed for an unban to begin with. It makes a lot of things less viable? So do Rotom-W, Lando-T, Clefable, Heatran, Gliscor and the plethora of absurdly splashable pivots in the tier. Remove one of them and suddenly a bunch of stuff becomes more usable. Having a boner for Mega Gardevoir or Mega Heracross is not an excuse for not allowing Aeiglash in OU.

I found Aegislash to be more of an A+ thank S rank mon to be honest as ORAS is a lot more unforgiving to it than XY was. It no longer carries stall by itself because threats like Garchomp are more common and new ones like Mega Lopunny exist, it's slow and it has an extreme vulnerability to status so it's not *that* good of a pivot for balanced and HO teams (don't give me the "every pokemon hastes status" crap because plenty of OU mons like Gliscor and Celebi don't give a crap about it).
Also, even though I admit it's subjective, it's a fun pokemon to use with so many unique traits that it never gets the chance to employ in ubers because its only good role there is being a Xerneas check. Pretty much like Kyurem-B got its chance to shine in OU after it's unban, I believe Aegislash deserves it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)