SV OU OP G-Weezing Defog Stall [Peaked #25, 1925]

OP G-Weezing Stall
:sv/chansey: :sv/dondozo: :sv/alomomola: :sv/weezing-galar: :sv/mandibuzz::sv/talonflame:
Thanks to the overwhelming presence of Gholdengo :gholdengo:, many are of the opinion that the only viable stall ist Heavy Duty Boots stall. This leads to successfull stall teams nowadays all looking quite similar, mostly consisting of the same 4-5 mons (:Dondozo:, :Blissey:, :Gliscor:, :Clodsire: and/or :Alomomola:). The main innovation is exchanging the secondary Knock Off absober (:Clefable:, :Hydrapple: or even :Muk:).

Stall that doesn't rely on Heavy Duty Boots only has a few options to remove hazards vs Gholdengo: :Cyclizar: or :Talonflame: can damage it enough on the switch-in to force a defog on the switch out, but only :Hawlucha: or :Weezing-Galar: circumvent it's ability completly and are guaranteed a defog (other ninche options include Rest Great Tusk or specially defensive Mandibuzz). I experimented a bit with Hawlucha, but it just didn't offer enough for the team outside the guaranteed defog. Fast encore sounded nice on paper, but it has very few PP and Hawlucha just can't afford to run speed EVs.

G-Weezing on the other hand offers some nice utility outside of defogging, e.g. improving the matchup vs opposing stall immensely. And while it doesn't have reliable recovery, it works just fine in tandem with Wish support from Alomomola. So I decided to build a stall team around G-Weezing that relies on Defog rather than Heavy Duty Boots.

This allows me to run Chansey over Blissey, Leftovers on Dondozo and G-Weezing itself and Rocky Helmet on Alomomola.
:weezing-galar: :alomomola: :blissey: :dondozo: :clodsire: :corviknight:
As stated above, I thought that weezing needed wish-support, so Alomomola was mandatory. The unaware core of Dondozo and Clodsire is a proven stall staple, Blissey helps with special attackers and since I wanted to set the focus on removing hazards instead of setting them, I opted for Corviknight over Gliscor to deal with physical attackers and defog reliably on everything but Gholdengo, which is handled by G-Weezing.
:weezing-galar: :alomomola: :blissey: :dondozo: :clodsire: :mandibuzz:
Since i hate loosing to Ogerpon-Wellspring, I experimented with the last slot a lot and finally changed Corvi to Mandibuzz. Outside of a crit, max def Mandi with Foul Play always beats Ogerpon. It also helps with the mixed Dragapult matchup, which allows me not to run tera Fairy on Blissey. On the other hand, the matchup vs some mons like banded grass types became more problematic.
:weezing-galar: :alomomola: :dondozo: :clodsire: :mandibuzz: :Chansey:
Since the main reason to run Blissey over Chansey was Heavy Duty Boots and my game plan was to keep hazards off my field anyway, I decided to try Eviolite Chansey over the usual Blissey. Chansey adds a significant amount of bulk and doesn't instantly die to physical attacks or psyshock. With Mandy dealing with mixed Pult, Chansey was free to run Tera Dark now, which allowed it to beat even cm-boosting Stored Power users. With Chansey handling all special attackers with relative ease, Clodsire felt more and more like dead weight, so I experimented with a plethora of different mons over Clodsire, including Amoongus, Dragapult and even breakers like Hoopa-U. But I finally settled on another variant:
:weezing-galar: :alomomola: :dondozo: :chansey::mandibuzz::talonflame:
Using Mandibuzz over Corvi has opened up another hole: Since I needed Defog on Mandi and wanted Foul Play and Knock Off, I couldn't run Iron Defense, so Dondozo was now the sole Kingambit-check, which sometimes lead to problematic endgames vs certain variants. Also, stuff like Taunt Landorus always kept rocks up vs me, and banded grass types sometimes caused problems. The solution came in the form of flame body. Running Talonflame to burn Kingambit and other physical attackers allowed me to compress the role of phys def unaware dozo and spdef unaware clod into one mon: Spdef Dondozo. Talonflame also takes a lot of pressure off of Mandi in Defogging. This achieves a triple Defog core, which means I never get pp-stalled by spikes+rocks.

On paper, the final team seems very weak to electric type attacks with 4 mons weak to it and not a single immunity or resist, but in practice, I never encountered any problems with electric types. With the only common electric types being Raging Bolt and to a lesser extend Zapdos which are both special attackers and thus checked by Chansey anyway, there is not much to worry about. And if worse comes to worst, I can still Tera a weakness into a resist. On preview, many foes think they might overwhelm Chansey since it is the only special wall of the team, but The much bigger threat to this team are mass Taunt users, since taunt not only denies Recovery, which is always problematic to stall, but also Defog, which makes this team much harder to pilot. This justifies running Taunt on Talonflame to counter slower opposing Taunts.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Team

:sv/weezing-galar:@:Leftovers:
Buggy
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Strange Steam
- Toxic​
Set Explanation:
176 Spe EVs to outspeed max speed Adamant Kingambit and Ursaluna, the rest maximises Defense.
Triple Defog allows for Leftovers over Heavy Duty Boots (HDB) for some recovery.
Defog ist the reason to run G-Weezing in the first place, and I love the double status, which has nearly no switchins (thanks to Neutralizing Gas, even Hatterene, Garganacl and Gholdengo get statused).
On the last slot, I tried Painsplit for recovery, but it was very situational, so I rather rely on Lefties+Mola to keep it healthy and run an attacking move instead to not be Taunt bait.
Strange Steam is the strongest stab option and the confusion chance comes in handy to sometimes get a surpise kill on weakend foes that try to use a recovery move but instead hit themselves. Taunt would also be an option for that matter, but would require more speed investment and I like being able to hit Stuff like Dragapult or Kyurem hard on the switch-in.
Tera Ghost was mainly chosen to combat Ursaluna, but has been used to deter mons with Body Press or Seismic Toss as their only attacking move or to Spinblock in a pinch.

Roles:
Defogs on Gholdengo
Denies Hazards from H-Samurott and Gliscor
Beats Stall (Gliscor, Clefable)
Beats Regenerator-Mons (Alomomola,...)
Spreads Status
Gives an out vs Trickroom (Can beat Ursaluna)
Switch-in to adamant choiced closed combat and outrage

Deals with:
:Samurott-Hisui:+:Gholdengo:, :Gliscor:, :Clefable:, :Alomomola:, :Ursaluna:, :Garganacl:, :Iron Valiant:, ...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:sv/alomomola:@:Rocky Helmet:
Alvida
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 244 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flip Turn
- Acrobatics
- Wish
- Protect​
Set Explanation:
Bulk is maximised on both Def+SpD, since Mola scouts every attacker. Tera Steel checks Glowking better (can't be poisoned and Future Sight does less damage). Wish+Protect with Regen is the main reason to use Alomomola, Flip Turns allows for guaranteed Wish-Passes, which is important for G-Weezing. On the last slot, I originally ran Scald, but I rarely used it and became tired of Ogerpon-W switching in and blocking Flip Turn, so I tried Acrobatics and haven't looked back since.
Triple Defog allows for Rocky Helmet to chip physical attackers.

Roles:
Scouts choice locked moves, doesn't mind Trick or Knock Off as much
Chips physical attackers
Main Future Sight switch-in thanks to protect
Heatran switch-in
Heals my other mons (mostly Weezing-Galar)

Deals with:
:Maushold:,:Barraskewda:, :Gouging Fire:, :Heatran:, :weavile:, :Slowking-Galar:, :Roaring Moon:, ...
:sv/talonflame:@:Heavy-Duty Boots:
Mihawk
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt/Flamethrower​
Set Explanation:
88 Spe EVs to outspeed max speed Landorous-Therian. I tried to run a set without Will-O-Wisp for a while, but Flame Body on its own is not enough to reliably burn Kingambit, which is essential. Roost and Defog are mandatory. On the last slot, I like running Taunt to more reliably beat Taunt-Landorus and improve the matchup vs Stall and Balance, but Flamethrower is also a good option to have another out to Defog vs Gholdengo.
Tera Dragon reverses the Water and Electric weaknesses to resistances.

Roles:
Primary Defogger
Denies Hazards from Great Tusk, Garchomp, Meowscarada
Taunt+Speed denies Hazards from Taunt Landorus
Switch-in for U-turns and weak physical attacks
Beats strong grasses (Meowscarada, Rillaboom)
Burns problematic phyiscal setup attackers (Kingambit)

Deals with:
:Kingambit: (together with Dondozo), :Great Tusk:, :Garchomp:, :Rillaboom:, :Meowscarada:, ...

:sv/mandibuzz:@:Heavy-Duty Boots:
Blackbeard
Ability: Big Pecks
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog​
Set Explanation:
Max Def + Foul Play beats Ogerpon-W at +2 (even after Tera Water). Roost ist mandatory and I like having acces to Triple Defog to beat Double Hazards+Corviknight reliably and not be to dependend on a single mon to Defog. On the last slot, I love Knock Off to make some guaranteed progress and get rid of leftovers on problematic Taunt mons. Tera Grass has the same benefits as Tera Dragon while also getting rid of the Fairy weakness.

Roles:
Backup Defogger
Progress maker (with Knock Off)
Beats mons that are problematic to stall like Ogerpon-W, Mixed Pult or Hoopa-U
Helps with Future Sight matchup

Deals with:
:Ogerpon-Wellspring:, :Deoxys-Speed:, :Dragapult:, :Hoopa-Unbound:, :Slowking-galar:, ...

:sv/chansey:@:Eviolite:
Big Mom
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock/Shadowball
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Seismic Toss​
Set Explanation:
Standard Spread, Standard Tera to beat Calm Mind + Stored Power/Psyshock. Standard Set with Softboiled, Calm Mind and Seismic Toss. On the last slot, I had Stealth Rocks to set them after the last opposing setter is dead, which facilitates endgames. Shadowball on the other hand facilitates the matchup vs Gholdengo and makes me not autoloose to Stupid Tera Ghost Taunt Raging Bolt.

Roles:
Main Special Wall
Status absober
Stealth Rock setter
Beats most special setup sweepers including Psyshock or Stored Power users (Tera Dark)

Deals with:
:Raging Bolt:, :Kyurem:, :Volcarona:, :Iron Moth:,:Primarina:, :Latios:, :Hatterene:, :Gholdengo:, ...

:sv/dondozo:@:Leftovers:
Kaido
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk
- Rest​
Set Explanation:
I love the specially defensive spread on Curse Dondozo. While it is not as reliable vs physical setup sweepers, they are still managable with the help of Talonflame (burn), and some can be dealt with by Mandibuzz (Foul Play). On the other hand, this spread beats weaker special attackers that rely only on setup like Manaphy. Also, it becomes quite a nice win con after a few Curses, since it can't be so easily forced out by any special attacker. Rest, Sleep Talk and Curse are what makes this set work. I prefer Waterfall over Wavecrash or Body Press, since it hits Ghosts and has more PP than other Wave Crash. Tera Fight is mainly for Kingambit, but is also neutral to most common attacks.

Role:
Beats physical AND special setup sweepers (with the help of talonflame)
Helps with mixed attackers
Win condition

Deals with:
:Kingambit: (together with Talonflame), :Zamazenta:,:Skeledirge:, :Manaphy:, :Gholdengo:, ...

There is no threat that wins on Preview, but certain mons require extraordinary plays, escpecially if you face more than one:
- Special Stealth Rock setters (:Glimmora:, :Heatran:) -> Prioritize killing them, consider playing with Rocks on both sides
- Taunt+Setup (:Raging Bolt:) -> Keep Chansey healthy, Status or Knock can help beating them
- Psychic Noise, especially from Liquid Voice Primarina (:Primarina:)
- Pressure Stall (:Kyurem:+:Suicune:+:Corviknight:) Very rare, very specific, but very deadly for this team....
- Banded Tera Fire Gouging Fire in Sun (:Gouging Fire:)
Alvida (Alomomola) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 244 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flip Turn
- Acrobatics
- Wish
- Protect

Kaido (Dondozo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Buggy (Weezing-Galar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Strange Steam
- Toxic

Mihawk (Talonflame) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt

Blackbeard (Mandibuzz) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Big Pecks
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

Big Mom (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Seismic Toss

After some testings, I can say that this team is busted lol. Love the innovation. It has great matchups into offense and several outs into stuff like Kingambit. There isn’t any set that Gambit can run to beat this. The SpD Dondozo has saved games several times and its satisfying seeing Glowking and Gliscor slowly crumple to N-Gas Weezing.

The team does have some problematic matchups.

IMG_4459.png
: Barb Clef is difficult for this team to deal with. Clef gets off a Trick vs anything and it starts to fall. Not alot you can do about it besides get off a Knock with Mandi or try to outlast it with Mola + G-Weez.

IMG_4530.png
IMG_4614.png
: The lack of a Volt Switch immunity means these guys can keep clicking the move forever. The latter can 1v1 Chansey with Pain Split + Wisp.

IMG_0532.png
+
IMG_2467.png
IMG_5481.png
IMG_8884.png
: I don’t think Taunt is worth it on Talonflame. Beating Taunt Lando is cool, but not having Flamethrower defeats the purpose of running it as a Defogger that beats Ghold. Any Ground type rocker, especially Gliscor with Knock Off, gives this team trouble without Talonflame.

IMG_4650.png
Tera Fire Samu looks annoying for the team, especially everything gets Knock’d. Seems more tolerable than the other matchups, but still.

I think the team is fine as is, but I’d like to make one suggestion.

IMG_8862.png
Acrobatics > Mirror Coat
While not being walled Wogre is great, I find G-Weez and Mandi to be enough for it. Mirror Coat is good for punishing weak Volt Switches and stuff like Deo-S. It also improves your matchup into Heatran and Volcanion who can trap/kill something on the team.

Grats on the climb.

IMG_8862.png
Acrobatics > Mirror Coat
While not being walled Wogre is great, I find G-Weez and Mandi to be enough for it. Mirror Coat is good for punishing weak Volt Switches and stuff like Deo-S. It also improves your matchup into Heatran and Volcanion who can trap/kill something on the team.
cosigning this, since alolomola often doesnt even want to switch into oger
having an actual volt switch counter is so good for the team

stall on space cowboy

I don't know why I didn't try Mirror Coat on Mola, it works really well on this team! Not only does it help with Volt Switches and Heatran, but it also eases the Dragapult and Primarina matchups! Thanks a lot for the suggestion!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)