Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've developed a fondness of dual cores since my discovery of the Megazard-X/Ferro/Azu core and I've liked playing around with a few and I found one that I think might be worthy of making this thread. Sadly, I don't think it lives up to the Megazard-X/Ferro/Azu core which is just so well structured, sweeper/support/breaker, nice and clean; not sure when I came up that in relation to whoever posted it here and the others who used it before but I'll stop talking about that one because it's claimed and get into this one. This one works more on the principal of F/W/G + F/P/D core similar to the Megadoom/Celebi/Keldeo core. It's Megados/Inernape/Celebi, and I think they have potential to work well together.
This one works more on the structure of sweeper/lead/support so the synergy is there and they do have defined positions on the team that don't clash or waste a slot really; obviously Infernape is the lead, Celebi can either offer offensive support in the form of Nasty-Pass or more defensive with Thunder Wave and Healing Wish, and Mega Gyarados is the DD sweeper. I also like how it's not offensively one-sided, it's a combo of physical, special and mixed which is cool. Functionally they're pretty tight in how they can handle eachothers' checks and counters; Infernape can check Heatran, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Scizor, as well as Grass types like Amoongus, Ferro and Serperior and such who could threaten Celebi and at times Mega Gyara, Celebi can handle fat Waters who threaten Infernape and Gyara like Rotom-W, Quagsire, and especially Mega Slowbro who the NP set can set up its offences on at a faster rate than it can given the NP vs CM war, and Mega Gyara can help with Landorus, Heatran, Lati@s, Gliscor, etc that the other two can't handle as well. Their roles are quite fluid, Infernape leads and most likely dies early but doesn't necessarily have to be a suicide lead, Celebi helps out around throughout the game removing fat Waters and throwing around Nasty-Passes to other team-mates or Thunder Waving offensive threats to help break opponents down, and Gyara sweeps late-game, nice and simple.
Of course this core isn't flawless. Fairies are pretty much the easiest way to pick this this core apart, the introduction of Fairies really hurt the F/P/D core in general. Basically, if you don't want to be boned by Mega Alt and such then bring some other anti-Fairy support. Some anti-Dragon support would be useful too. Actually, pairing it with a F/D/S core might be nice, Scizor, Laitos and Clef maybe, I guess. Yeah, not a perfect core but well structured and effectively functional.
Leviathan (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt / Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Chimp da Pimp (Infernape) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Endeavor / U-Turn / any other coverage
- Overheat
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

Onion (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've developed a fondness of dual cores since my discovery of the Megazard-X/Ferro/Azu core and I've liked playing around with a few and I found one that I think might be worthy of making this thread. Sadly, I don't think it lives up to the Megazard-X/Ferro/Azu core which is just so well structured, sweeper/support/breaker, nice and clean; not sure when I came up that in relation to whoever posted it here and the others who used it before but I'll stop talking about that one because it's claimed and get into this one. This one works more on the principal of F/W/G + F/P/D core similar to the Megadoom/Celebi/Keldeo core. It's Megados/Inernape/Celebi, and I think they have potential to work well together.
This one works more on the structure of sweeper/lead/support so the synergy is there and they do have defined positions on the team that don't clash or waste a slot really; obviously Infernape is the lead, Celebi is Nasty-Pass support and Mega Gyarados is the DD sweeper. I also like how it's not offensively one-sided, it's a combo of physical, special and mixed which is cool. Functionally they're pretty tight in how they can handle eachothers' checks and counters; Infernape can check Heatran, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Scizor, as well as Grass types like Amoongus, Ferro and Serperior and such who could threaten Celebi and at times Mega Gyara, Celebi can handle fat Waters who threaten Infernape and Gyara like Rotom-W, Quagsire, and especially Mega Slowbro who it can set up its offences on at a faster rate than it can given the NP vs CM war, and Mega Gyara can help with Landorus, Heatran, Lati@s, Gliscor, etc that the other two can't handle as well. Their roles are quite fluid, Infernape leads and most likely dies early but doesn't necessarily have to be a suicide lead, Celebi helps out around throughout the game removing fat Waters and throwing around Nasty-Passes to other team-mates to help break opponents down, and Gyara sweeps late-game, nice and simple.
Of course this core isn't flawless. Fairies are pretty much the easiest way to pick this this core apart, the introduction of Fairies really hurt the F/P/D core in general. Basically, if you don't want to be boned by Mega Alt and such then bring some other anti-Fairy support. Some anti-Dragon support would be useful too. Actually, pairing it with a F/D/S core might be nice, Scizor, Laitos and Clef maybe, I guess. Yeah, not a perfect core but well structured and effectively functional.
Leviathan (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt / Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Chimp da Pimp (Infernape) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Endeavor / U-Turn / any other coverage
- Overheat
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
The issue I have with this core is that while Celebi has great synergy with the other two mons and all, the set doesn't fit the core. You have no other special attackers to pass the boosts too.

Either change Celebi's set to a more supportive one with moves such as healing wish, thunder wave, and baton pass; or swap it out for something else.

Also, that spread looks like you just clicked the suggested one from the teambuilder on PS, and while in most scenarios that isn't bad, Celebi should be running a physically defensive spread on ORAS to handle threats such as azumarill and mega lopunny. I can get the spread for you, but you might as well check the analysis, as we spent a decent amount of time discussing the spreads for it.

Last edited:
I run specially defensive on Celebi to handle Mega Slowbro better, that set does let me live two flamethrowers or Ice Beams from +1 Mega Slowbro, and one of said move from +2 Mega Slowbro. I see where physical bulk would help, but special has its merits too in some scenarios.
And the Nasty-Pass support is more of other potential team members than overall just to be kept in the core, but a more fully supportive one isn't overly out of the question, either work depending on the rest of the team, I guess. Regardless, you do make good points and given that this thread is about cores I should keep support relevant to cores as opposed to miscellaneous team members. I'll make some tweaks.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Looks solid, although I'd definitely mention somewhere that this core struggles with mega scizor in general, not because stall uses it but because it's commonly used on balance and offense to check these two pokemon. Gyara and Keldeo are solid checks, so just mention it in the part where you talk about how they appreciate this cores wallbreaking ability.

Mega Diancie may also be problematic for the core, as while it obviously can't switch in, it only needs a little bit of chip damage to KO Garde with Diamond Storm and Bish with earth power.

Maybe mention the explanation for the EV spreads to help out newer players (24 def avoids 2hko from Latios Psyshock, 56 SpDef on bish avoids OHKO from Latios hp fire after rocks; just in case you didn't know)

I have quite a bit of experience with Garde-sharp back in XY when it was really popular - great core. I'm sure it will gain that back if mega gross leaves, surprised no one posted this core lol.

Might not be able to update the op as I'll be away from home for this week.
Edits done as instructed (lol sounds like I'm talking to a boss here), and I did already know of the EVs for the mons, I just didn't feel like saying it. Yeah I love that core in particular since it dismantles stall which I absolutely hate, and the core leaves a lot of flexibility in general. I use it as a nice test platform for underrates sets that mess with common builds.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I run specially defensive on Celebi to handle Mega Slowbro better, that set does let me live two flamethrowers or Ice Beams from +1 Mega Slowbro, and one of said move from +2 Mega Slowbro. I see where physical bulk would help, but special has its merits too in some scenarios.
And the Nasty-Pass support is more of other potential team members than overall just to be kept in the core, but a more fully supportive one isn't overly out of the question, either work depending on the rest of the team, I guess. Regardless, you do make good points and given that this thread is about cores I should keep support relevant to cores as opposed to miscellaneous team members. I'll make some tweaks.
Just saying, Calm Mind Slowbro doesn't and really shouldn't run fire blast or ice beam.

+

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe or
32 HP / 252 SpA / 224
Mild Nature
- Roost
- Fusion Bolt / Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Heatran @ Leftovers / Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power / Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

This core aims to abuse the powerful fucking truck being Kyurem-Black. This pokemon is very effective against common defensive cores like Rotom-W + Landoru-T or Gliscor + Mega Altaria, it also has relatively little trouble beating down FWG cores. It is, however, heavily checked by Ferrothorn and Clefable (Calm variants) and is countered by Mega-Scizor. This is where Heatran comes into play, beating the aformentioned three. It is, much like Kyurem, a very potent stallbreaker, although it uses a combination of status, residual damage and taunting pokemon reliant on their recovery moves to do work. Fusion Bolt is the prefered move on Kurem-Black, allowing it to check BD Azumarill, and destroying water types in general. However, if it's an important answer on your team to things like Rotom-Wash or electric types such as Raikou and Manectric, you can choose to run Roost, and then having Power Herb Solar Beam on Heatran to lure in water types.
This core is very fighting weak. It pretty much stands no chance against any Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, Terrakion or Mega Gallade. It also has trouble against just fast, hard-hitting pokemon in general i.e the genies. Gardevoir is a very big threat I can think of as well. Be wary of Scizor Superpower-ing Heatran on the switch-in since it's kinda risk-free for it.
boltsandbombers I can provide the fighting resist I use as a third pokemon in the core, but it's not part of the bulky shit-breaking core so I didn't add it. I'll list some options for partners though :
Slowbro (-Mega)
Gliscor
Celebi
Toxicroak
Lati@s
bulky psychics / fairies / flying / ghosts in general.

Last edited:
Minor question, but should we ask here or somewhere else for details regarding something like EV spreads.

Offensive Core:

Gengar and Houndoom decimate stall. Gengar can stallbreak against most of the top threats in stall, whilst Mega Houndoom sets up on them. They can hold their own against offense too due to their high speed tiers. They share great defensive typings, with Houndoom absorbing Dark and Psychic type moves aimed at Gengar, whilst Gengar switches in on the ground and fighting type moves aimed at Houndoom. The burns they spread can ease Houndoom in setting up Nasty Plots. They also counter two very notable threats, which are Mega Metagross, and Mega Sableye, which Houndoom sets up on.

This Core should be paired with both Hazard Setting and removal, as well as checks to offence. This core is threatened by Tyranitar and Keldeo, which is why I paired it with Rotom-W, who also helps with burn-spreading.

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
EVs: 40 Hp / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute / Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
I built a team making use of this core for a tournament at my University's Pokemon club, but I'd like a bit more in the way of specifics on things like Gengar's EV spread.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Yes, feel free to ask questions about the cores posted whether it be about EV spreads or whatever.
When posting cores, please try to include an explanation of any ev spreads that deviate from 252 / 252 spreads. In regards to the Gengar spread, I really don't know what it's purpose is - sorry man.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Yeah, that's right - thanks.
Can't remember the last time I used sub gengar or saw it used lol, the LO set is much more effective from experience.

Edit: quickly talked with AM, the set is fine.

Last edited:
That Gengar spread is from the analysis - iirc +0 4 SpA Clefable can't break the sub
Thanks for the info. But is there any other important damage marks it manages?

As far as that set goes, might I recommend altering the spread to 44 HP/148 Sp Att/64 Sp Def/ 252 Speed Timid? Clefable would still need the absolute max roll to break a sub, and it hits 272 HP, which is divisible by 16 and thus a Black Sludge number.

I could see some kind of merit to a Sub Gengar set, considering that Gengar is a bit more prediction/2HKO reliant against some Megas on offense (Lopunny for example), but I agree the LO set might be worth considering instead. My team just prefers Hex Gengar, if not a Sub set specifically, because it's very status heavy (between WoW Houndoom, Gengar itself, Rotom-W and a dual Status Klefki), so unless that could fit on the LO set, I might have to make a very different team with the core.

That said, I'd like to throw in the suggestion to 0besity to list Klefki among potential teammates. Spikes support helps wear down targets on the switches Gengar could force (with a LO set at least), and Toxic helps wear out bulkier mons they might not want to risk a 2HKO (or chance there of) on, while Thunder Wave slows down faster offensive threats like Mega Lopunny or Scarfers/DDers that could outspeed the two, or at least avert speed ties. Klefki also takes off some attacking pressure by taking Rock, Fairy, Psychic, Dark, Poison, and Dragon moves. While those two have resistances, they still don't like to take hits they don't want to. Spikes stacking is also a bit more doable since both of the core members don't provide a safe entrance for the Latis or Starmie (though Gengar can't outspeed them, they can't exactly get in).

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
There's so many Gengar variations that are effective lol. It's silly to think that a specific one is best for a core when it's dependent on the entirety of the team itself. SubSplit Attacker, Stall-Breaker Will-O-Wisp with or without Hex, Scarf, Destiny Bond, different coverage, etc. As long it's not something overly mind numbing to look at like Dazzling Gleam Gengar then it should be fine.

There's so many Gengar variations that are effective lol. It's silly to think that a specific one is best for a core when it's dependent on the entirety of the team itself. SubSplit Attacker, Stall-Breaker Will-O-Wisp with or without Hex, Scarf, Destiny Bond, different coverage, etc. As long it's not something overly mind numbing to look at like Dazzling Gleam Gengar then it should be fine.
Even then, Dazzling Gleam Gar makes a great Mega Sableye lure.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Mega Sableye: 126-149 (41.4 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Mega Sableye: 169-200 (55.5 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gangar's got a wide enough movepool that it can lure basically anything it wants. Icy Wind for SDef Gliscor, HP Fire for bulky Mega Scizor, Thunderbolt to lure bulky Waters. I mean, Gleam Gengar is kinda bad overall, but Dazzling Gleam Gengar + Mega Gallade isn't an awful idea.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.

Kyurem-b @ Life Orb
Ability: Terravolt
Nature: Mild (+SpA, -Def)
EVs: 64 Atk | 252 SpA | 192 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage/Roost

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 116 HP | 252 Atk | 152 Spe
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick/Energy Ball/Zen Headbutt

This offensive duo works very well in the metagame. Both of them are extremely hard for balanced/stall teams to switch into, and they have incredible offensive synergy with each other. Kyurem-b itself is a monster that terrorizes balanced teams that utilize the common omnipresent Rotom-W/Lando-t/Heatran/Celebi cores. Very few balance teams actually have a good switch in to it, but some do exist, such as Clefable, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn.

And thats where Victini comes in. The pokemon that are seen switching into Kyurem-b can't take on Victini as well, and Victini can switch into them pretty easily in return due to its good typing and bulk. It can threaten all of them with a KO. Like Kyurem-b, many teams don't have a solid switch in to Victini as well. The few ones, like bulky Lando-t/defensive Heatran/Rotom-w, can't take on Kyurem-b at all, so you can simply u-turn on their switch and threaten them with Kyurem-b.

This duo works very well offensively, but defensively, they leave a bunch of things to be desired. For one, they're both weak to Stealth Rock, so something that can come in and get rid of Rocks through Rapid Spin or defog is greatly appreciated. They're also both weak to Terrakion and Keldeo, so something that can switch in on those would be good choices as well. That's why pairing this duo up with either a Starmie or one of the Lati twins is greatly beneficial and will make it work to its maximum potential. :3

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Kyurem-b @ Life Orb
Ability: Terravolt
Nature: Mild (+SpA, -Def)
EVs: 64 Atk | 252 SpA | 192 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage/Roost

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 116 HP | 252 Atk | 152 Spe
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick/Energy Ball/Zen Headbutt

This offensive duo works very well in the metagame. Both of them are extremely hard for balanced/stall teams to switch into, and they have incredible offensive synergy with each other. Kyurem-b itself is a monster that terrorizes balanced teams that utilize the common omnipresent Rotom-W/Lando-t/Heatran/Celebi cores. Very few balance teams actually have a good switch in to it, but some do exist, such as Clefable, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn.

And thats where Victini comes in. The pokemon that are seen switching into Kyurem-b can't take on Victini as well, and Victini can switch into them pretty easily in return due to its good typing and bulk. It can threaten all of them with a KO. Like Kyurem-b, many teams don't have a solid switch in to Victini as well. The few ones, like bulky Lando-t/defensive Heatran/Rotom-w, can't take on Kyurem-b at all, so you can simply u-turn on their switch and threaten them with Kyurem-b.

This duo works very well offensively, but defensively, they leave a bunch of things to be desired. For one, they're both weak to Stealth Rock, so something that can come in and get rid of Rocks through Rapid Spin or defog is greatly appreciated. They're also both weak to Terrakion and Keldeo, so something that can switch in on those would be good choices as well. That's why pairing this duo up with either a Starmie or one of the Lati twins is greatly beneficial and will make it work to its maximum potential. :3
I used this code with RMT you posted its amazing how many teams can't handle it

This is a fairly simple and effective bait core, this core works to trap and kill lati for keldeo who loves to have its number one counter and let it freely set up. Both thunderus and keldeo bait in lati but thunderus has a amazing niche in being able to voltswitch on there switch. The sets are pretty standard but could be changed depending on the makeup of your team for example a bulky ttar w/ rocks or a mixed deffaint thundrus. sub cm keldeo is just amazing in this meta and getting rid of lati is very helpful for it.
Sets
Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

leremyju

Banned deucer.

Imo in ur Ttar u really should be using stone edge over ice punch. Ice punch is for stuff like Lando and gliscor which keldeo takes care of, hence why it is a famous combination. Thundurus doesn't exactly do anything to help the core other than lure in lati which keldeo does and Ttar can come in on anyways.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
thundy was just an extra lure do you want me to take it off? i can do that
Take off thundy and make it just the standard bread and butter keldeo / scarf tar core.
Also change ttars moves to this:
Stone edge
Pursuit
Crunch
Superpower / ice punch

Just make sure to list the targets for ice punch (hope I don't need to help with that lol)

Elaborate a bit more on how the core works, it could use some more detail. Aside from that it's fine.

Take off thundy and make it just the standard bread and butter keldeo / scarf tar core.
Also change ttars moves to this:
Stone edge
Pursuit
Crunch
Superpower / ice punch

Just make sure to list the targets for ice punch (hope I don't need to help with that lol)

Elaborate a bit more on how the core works, it could use some more detail. Aside from that it's fine.
ok thanks sorry for the trouble ill fix it

+

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe or
32 HP / 252 SpA / 224
Mild Nature
- Roost
- Fusion Bolt / Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Heatran @ Leftovers / Power Herb
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power / Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

This core aims to abuse the powerful fucking truck being Kyurem-Black. This pokemon is very effective against common defensive cores like Rotom-W + Landoru-T or Gliscor + Mega Altaria, it also has relatively little trouble beating down FWG cores. It is, however, heavily checked by Ferrothorn and Clefable (Calm variants) and is countered by Mega-Scizor. This is where Heatran comes into play, beating the aformentioned three. It is, much like Kyurem, a very potent stallbreaker, although it uses a combination of status, residual damage and taunting pokemon reliant on their recovery moves to do work. Fusion Bolt is the prefered move on Kurem-Black, allowing it to check BD Azumarill, and destroying water types in general. However, if it's an important answer on your team to things like Rotom-Wash or electric types such as Raikou and Manectric, you can choose to run Roost, and then having Power Herb Solar Beam on Heatran to lure in water types.
This core is very fighting weak. It pretty much stands no chance against any Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, Terrakion or Mega Gallade. It also has trouble against just fast, hard-hitting pokemon in general i.e the genies. Gardevoir is a very big threat I can think of as well. Be wary of Scizor Superpower-ing Heatran on the switch-in since it's kinda risk-free for it.
boltsandbombers I can provide the fighting resist I use as a third pokemon in the core, but it's not part of the bulky shit-breaking core so I didn't add it. I'll list some options for partners though :
Slowbro (-Mega)
Gliscor
Celebi
Toxicroak
Lati@s
bulky psychics / fairies / flying / ghosts in general.
What does 12 SpD on Heatran accomplish? A notable problem with that is that it can't take a 252 Spe Heatran's Earth Power without Air Balloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)