Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Here is a pretty effective Defensive core that I have used on a few teams. I don't post often or play too competitively so please have mercy but I think I found a pretty nice core here.

Rotom-W + Clefable + Excadrill

+
+

At first glance, this seems like a very uncommon defensive core. However, the three actually function well together with a few exceptions (which I will go over later). On paper, this core resists 12/18 attack types as well as 4 immunities. This core is primary based on setting/removing hazards and crippling opponents. This core does have some inherent weaknesses such as Iron Head Kyurem, Mold Breaker Excadrill and Serperior. For EV spreads and sets, Clefable and Rotom-W have their standard defensive sets. You can opt for a Wish Pass Clefable as well if you already have a dedicated Stealth Rock setter on your team as it really helps the longevity of Excadrill and Rotom-W.

AV Excadrill is the only thing (slightly) innovative here. With the EV's below, Excadrill can take out many Flying and/or Electric types in the game by soaking up their coverage moves and hitting hard back with Earthquake and Rock Slide. Below are a few calcs showing how Excadrill can pave the way for Flying teammates such as Mega Pinsir, Talonflame or any Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock/Spikes.

- 252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 224 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 144-170 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
- 252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 0 HP / 224 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 208-246 (57.6 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 224 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 234-278 (64.8 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 160 SpA Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 224 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 154-182 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
- 252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 224 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 85-101 (23.5 - 27.9%) -- 84.3% chance to 4HKO
- 0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 224 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 176-210 (48.7 - 58.1%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
Not trying to hate on this core or anything (I like it in-fact), but I think you'd have much better success by switching the sets around slightly. Assault Vest Excadrill is simply not good at all. 4 Attack Excadrill is only good for Life Orb sets and using AV on a set that desperately needs Leftovers gets it worn down. So change AV to Leftovers and replace Rock Slide with either Toxic (For Mega Sableye) or SR to set up against Mega Sable or Mega Diancie. This frees up Clefable to use CM > SR, which gives this core a solid win condition. P.S: If you go Toxic on Exca, you can stick SR somewhere else on your team.

Tl;Dr:

Leftovers > AV and Toxic / SR > Rock Slide on Excadrill

Calm Mind > SR on Clefable.

Last edited:
Not trying to hate on this core or anything (I like it in-fact), but I think you'd have much better success by switching the sets around slightly. Assault Vest Excadrill is simply not good at all. 4 Attack Excadrill is only good for Life Orb sets and using AV on a set that desperately needs Leftovers gets it worn down. So change AV to Leftovers and replace Rock Slide with either Toxic (For Mega Sableye) or SR to set up against Mega Sable or Mega Diancie. This frees up Clefable to use CM > SR, which gives this core a solid win condition. P.S: If you go Toxic on Exca, you can stick SR somewhere else on your team.

Tl;Dr:

Leftovers > AV and Toxic / SR > Rock Slide on Excadrill

Calm Mind > SR on Clefable.
Good point about the Excadrill. I used that set with my Mega Pinsir team which really helped with many electric types that otherwise wall him. However, your Excadrill set is much better overall. Especially for setting up rock and statusing the two Magic Bounce Megas.

Surprised this core doesn't seem too be posted so in that case,
I Got a nice core too share that I been using on a new stall team, so you can say its a ''defensive core''.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Curse
- Sleep Talk

Mega Cursepert has been something I'm having a lot of fun with and it is the ''win condition'' in one of my stall teams, and I can assure you it definitely has assisted me in sweeping teams/getting wins. The 216 SpDef EV's is too help Swampert take special attacks more better, as well has less Def Ev's are needed thanks too the boost from Curse and Swampert's already incredible defensive stats.

+

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic / Leech Seed
- Recover

The second part of the core is Celebi , these two pairing were very popular back in the DP/BW ish days and decide to try them out and the results are the same. As most you will know they both work together in covering each others weakness as well as being able to switch into each others respectful threats. Swampert can go into things such has heatran,t-tar,scizor as celebi can go into swamperts threats and take the damage/cripple with t-wave. The 16 Spe EV's can help you outspeed Adamant Bisharp and T-Wave it if posses a threat too your team. 0 Atk IV's too take minimum damage from foul play.

So overall the way too use this core is simple, You use each other to check another respectful threats, well using Celebi too T Wave your opponents team helping Swampert mid/late game easier to set up and sweep, if you decide go with Leech Seed if Psychic coverage is not needed for your team you can provide Some small bit of extra healing among'st your team well chipping away damage too making it easier for Swampert late game.

I've got a core that I've been messing with and have really enjoyed lately. The main focus of it is Mega Pidgeot, with Starmie as a hazard remover and celebi for passing nasty plots and taking rock type attacks pretty well. Starmie being able to take passes is a pretty nice perk as well. Here are the sets:

Pidgeot @Pidgeotite
No Guard
Timid
252 Sp. Atk 252 Speed 4 Def
Hurricane
Heat Wave
Roost
U-turn

Starmie @ Life Orb
Analytic
Timid
252 Sp. Atk 252 Speed 4 Def
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Bold
252 HP 148 Def 108 Speed
Nasty Plot
Baton Pass
Giga Drain
Recover

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Mega Venusaur + Feraligatr Offensive Core

Haven't posted on this thread in a while, and wanted to share one of my favorite Feraligatr cores since I only saw 2 of em in the OP. Anyways, these 2 have fantastic offensive synergy. With Feraligatr being the main setup sweeper, Venusaur is really able to help it out. Feraligatr's checks are mostly water types including Azumarill and Keldeo, both of which Mega Venusaur easily counters. Feraligatr also struggles a bit against mons like Ferrothorn, and Venusaur can take care of it with HP Fire. Mega Venusaur really struggles with Heatran, and Feraligatr can handle it pretty easily. Venusaur also helps Feraligatr defensively as it's able to check threatening electric types such as Mega Manectric, Raikou without Extrasensory, and Rotom-W.

Good Partners for this core include mons that can handle flying types notably Talonflame, Torn-T as well as Zard Y and Kyurem-Black. Heatran also works as it finishes the Fire-Water-Grass core, provides a check to Talonflame, and it also provides Stealth Rocks. Offensively, Thundurus with Focus Blast is able to KO all of the above threats, and Weavile can do a pretty good job killing the above threats with (Zard Y and Talonflame needing prior damage for Icicle Crash to KO).
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Also, could someone update the OP? It hasn't been updated since July 27th...

Last edited:
Anyways, new core:

Mega Pinsir + Infernape + Latios (Offensive Core)

MEGA PINSIR: Mega Pinsir is the main sweeper of this core, providing great and poweful abilities to sweep with Swords Dance boosted Returns, Quick Attacks, Close Combats, and/or Earthquakes. There's not really too much to say about Mega Pinsir that hasn't already been said, and I want to talk more in depth about the last two members and why I chose them.

INFERNAPE: Infernape is a... Weird choice, at first. As said on it's analysis, almost all the roles it can fill can be used by mons that outclass it. However, it's unique typing and speed tier can have it serve as an amazing check to Weavile, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Heatran, Kyurem B, Mega Sableye, (Mega) Scizor, Tyranitar, and more. Almost all of these are mons who can give this core a hard time, and Infernape handles almost all of them very well (Albeit it can't switch into Kyurem B since it typically has Earth Power, and Fusion Bolt will still do a good chunk. Same with Tyranitar and Stone Edge; It'll do a good chunk assuming it's the Choice Scarf set.) It goes great with Pinsir, offering it a nice switch in to Air Balloon Heatran coming in to revenge kill it, OHKOing Weavile, Bisharp, Tyranitar, and TTar with a 252 (Physically Attacking Nape) Mach Punch, 2HKOing Skarmory with Flare Blitz, 2HKOing Magic Guard Calm Mind Clefable with Flare Blitz, having a guaranteed chance to OHKO Chansey for Latios with Close Combat after Stealth Rocks, and gaining momentum as well as damaging switch ins like Slowbro and the Latis with U-Turn. My Special Attacking variant, however, can also OHKO Bisharp and Weavile with Vacuum Wave, OHKO Defensive Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory with Fire Blast (Infernape could OHKO Ferrothorn with Flare Blitz, but it would take even more recoil damage from doing so.), and still gain momentum with U-Turn. Infernape can even run it's Stallbreaking set here, though it's not as useful or good in my opinion as Physical Attacking Nape.

LATIOS: Latios is very good with Infernape, as Infernape can handle many of Latios' checks (As listed above), and Latios can return the favor. I chose Calm Mind Latios for this core mainly for the sheer, raw damage output it can bring. And, while it can't remove hazards, it can nuke the crap out of everything not a Fairy type with Draco Meteor. It also gains great special bulk from using Calm Mind, winning CM Wars with mons like Clefable and Slowbro, two pokemon that annoy this core to no extent.

THREATS TO THE CORE: Scarf Tyranitar proves to be a big issue on this core, as Infernape does not outspeed it, and therefore must rely on Mach Punch to KO it. This isn't always guaranteed, however, so it's an issue. Mega Diancie however, is the biggest offender to this core, as well as Fairies in general, but Mega Diancie is the most prevalent along with Mega Altaria. Mega Diancie WILL outspeed Mega Pinsir and Infernape, and can Speed Tie with Latios, but is unable to do almost anything in return other than Psyshock, while Mega Diancie can OHKO it with Mooblast. Tornadus T is also an issue, as it isn't OHKOed by Mega Pinsir's +2 Quick Attack (though it CAN be brought down to a point where it can potentially kill itself with Life Orb recoil), and can retaliate with a guaranteed OHKO Hurricane. The same goes for Infernape, who is OHKOed by Hurricane, and Latios takes a gigantic chunk from both Knock Off and U-Turn. Talonflame threatens ALL of these mons with a super effective Brave Bird (bar Latios), while using all of them bar Latios as set up food for Swords Dance, who takes a gigantic chunk from Brave Bird, though it can OHKO with Draco Meteor in response.

RECOMMENDED TEAMMATES: As a result of these threats (as well as more that I didn't mention), I recommend a bulky steel type that isn't weak to pursuit, and can handle fairies, or two mons that can do two of these together, as well as something to set up Stealth Rocks.

SpDef Heatran can set up Stealth Rocks, can check multiple Fairies, as well as Talonflame, can stop Set Up Sweepers with Roar, put a timer on other mons with Toxic, and pass around burns with Lava Plume. Overall makes a good teammate.

Defensive Defensive Rotom Wash can check Azumarill and other strong pokemon like Torn T, Tyranitar, Gyarados (Non Mega), and more, then paralyze them, and provides a slow Volt Switch for momentum, safely getting Mega Pinsir, Infernape, Latios, and others into battle safely.

Serperior Serperior can get rid of pesky water types, as well as Ground types for this core, and even sweep late-game after a +2 Leaf Storm boost. It also helps a lot with opposing Rotom Washes, which is very nice, as well as paralyze foes with Glare if necessary. He does make you more susceptible to Talonflame Brave Bird spam though, so watch out.

That's it for now guys. Let me know if you have any tips/advice for my teambuilding. Bai! <3
Sets: (Note that you can switch Flare Blitz for Fire Blast, Mach Punch over Vacuum Wave, and U-Turn for Grass Knot *Though I'd still recommend U-Turn* if running 252 SpAtk over 252 Atk; Then apply a Timid Nature, and then Blaze, as Iron Fist will never have a use for that set.)
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake / Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Last edited:
A Core for Sadists
Balance/Defensive Core

Wobbuffet (M) @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers / Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 52 HP / 232 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard / Tickle / Destiny Bond

Shedinja @ Focus Sash/Saftey Goggles
Ability: Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak

So, I've been experimenting quite a bit lately, And I've noticed this core is absolutely evil. Secretly, I'm hoping it will take off because I've been enjoying it and want people to abuse it. The idea is simple, Shedinja forces switches thanks to its broken-on-any-other-pokemon ability of Wonder Guard. Because of this, more often than not, and in the right hands, the user will put themselves in a VERY advantageous position. The objective is force something out with Wonder Guard, Baton Pass into a Pokemon that deals with whatever the switch in may be. If it is an offensive Pokemon, you simply Baton Pass into Wobbuffet encore, and take it out, or if they get cheeky and use a set up move, Shedinja comes in and repeats the process while possibly burning them. Basically, what I'm saying is this can be a guaranteed Kill on a Pokemon that can be problematic, or can severely cripple a Pokemon. I've honestly felt like a bad person abusing these two. Wobbuffet is Satan as it is, Shedinja giving it free switch-ins to offensive Pokemon is absolutely absurd because it also means something dies. These two can guarantee specific Pokemon are gone with little to no effort, and that simply is amazing. Clearly, these two don't work alone, so don't think that this core is 6-0'ing teams or anything. This is just a core that I have been using quite successfully and can be EXTREMELY problematic for the opponent. Admittedly, it has forced a few rage induced quits on my opponents part but that just shows it's doing its job. This core greatly appreciates Hazard Removal for obvious reasons, and I've come to notice Mega Sableye thanks to Magic Bounce is also a much appreciated team member as it lures in many things Shedinja can force out, as well as keeps hazards off this side of the field. All in all, if you want to royally screw your opponent over while scoring kills easily, this is the way to do it.
Mega Sab with these monsters? Calm down Satan.

Dragon Dance² Core:

Dunno if this has been posted already, posting anyway.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower / Crunch

The basic idea of this core is relatively simple. Feraligatr breaks stuff like Hippowdon, Slowbro and Heatran which trouble Zard-X, while Zard weakens stuff like Skarmory and Ferrothorn in return. They compliment each other pretty well but struggle a lot against offensive Fairy-types like Azumarill, M-Diancie, M-Altaria, and M-Gardevoir, while Keldeo, Lati@s, Sand Rush Excadrill, are all huge threats that need to be covered. Ferrothorn fits in nicely for Balanced teams while Klefki fits in nicely for HO, both check Fairy-types and Lati@s rather well and provide Spikes to weaken checks. It breaks a lot of the common Hippowdon balance teams that you see nowadays and is surely effective in the current metagame.

Offensive Core: Beauty and the Beast

Only 1 Entei core? Time to fix that. marct25 passed me a squad with these two mons and I really like them as a team, so shoutouts to him. Mega Diancie beats most things that Entei can't on its own, such as Talonflame, Garchomp, Tornadus-T, Keldeo (non scarf), and Lati@s. Also, Diancie deters the opponent from wanting to click Stealth Rock. Meanwhile, Entei destroys steels and fat grass types that try to wall Diancie. Entei is also very effective against stall teams since one of the main switchins, Quagsire, hates being burned by Sacred Fire. The core appreciates hazard support as well as hazard removal. Water and Ground types demolish this core, so a good partner is Rotom-W.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Earth Power

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge

I have Life Orb over Choice Band on Entei because I find the ability to switch moves more useful than the extra power, and it helps avoid some 50 50 scenarios. The 32 HP hits a LO number, and Entei still outspeeds neutral base 95s. Choice Band is still an option, but I recommend putting all 252 EVs in speed then, since there's no need to hit the LO number.

No Gyarados + Lando-T.
wat

LANDO-T + (M) GYARADOS + RAIKOU (Offense)
This one's actually pretty simple. Gyarados and Landorus together form an amazing double intimidate pair, Landorus and Raikou make a very good Volt-Turn pair, Raikou appreciates the constant Intimidate support from both Gyarados and Landorus to help with it's mediocre physical bulk, Raikou provides Electric and Ice type attacks to help handle flying types, other Gyarados' and Landorus', Garchomps, etc. It just works out very well for these mons. However, the core is very weak to status, with all of these mons hating being burned, and (Mega) Gyarados despises paralysis as well, so running a cleric like Clefable might be worth it in the long run, especially since it can pass around Wishes. However, if you decide to NOT use Mega Gyarados, Mega Altaria works beautifully with this core, providing lots of bulky support, and acts as a cleric as well. Really, this core is superbly flexible in what it can let you do when it comes to team options. Both normal and mega Gyarados are viable options here, but I would recommend running Mega Gyarados, but Normal Dos works very well also on this core. I know this wasn't like one of my usual posts, going in depth with everything, but I just didn't have the time to do that right now XD

Tip: Use Extrasensory on Raikou if MDos, and Shadow Ball if Normal Dos.
Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute

1) Terrakion + Talonflame + Mega Manectric
+
+

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice

Terrakion was one of the best Choice Band users in BW because of its great STAB combination and this has not changed much in ORAS as most neutral targets will be 2HKOed by its STAB Choice Banded Attacks. However, Terrakion can be checked by bulky Physically Defensive Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Skarmory, Mega Venusaur and Chesnaught. Talonflame is therefore a good partner for the core because it can pressure Skarmory, Mega Venusaur and Chesnaught with its STAB while also being able to lure Hippowdon and Rotom-W with Natural Gift. Talonflame is also able to revenge kill Mega Alakazam, Keldeo and Mega Lopunny which can defeat Terrakion. In return, Terrakion easily takes care of Heatran, Tyranitar and Rhyperior while also weakening Landorus-T and Garchomp for Talonflame.

Mega Manectric is a good partner for this core as it helps against opposing Talonflame while also being able to check Water-types such as Azumarill and Manaphy which threatens this core. It also enjoys having its checks such as Hippowdon, Tyranitar and Mega Venusaur removed.

EDIT:

2) Breloom + Talonflame
+

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Facade

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Breloom and Talonflame share a nice Offensive Synergy as they can set up on each other's checks while also wearing down Pokemon that checks both of them such as Landorus-T and Garchomp. With Toxic Orb active, Breloom laughs off weak Scalds from bulky Waters, Rotom-W's Will-o-Wisp and Hippowdon's Earthquake while it sets up a Swords Dance to break a defensive backbone. In return, Talonflame is able to threaten Mega Venusaur, Mega Scizor and Chesnaught, which Breloom struggles to damage. As a bonus, Talonflame is also able to revenge kill fast attackers which prey on Breloom's low Speed such as Weavile and Mega Alakazam.

As for threats to this core, Mega Manectric and Mega Aerodactyl stands out as both can outspeed and OHKO both members of the core while taking very little from Brave Bird. Manaphy is also a threat as it outspeeds Breloom and hits it with Ice Beam while also having Scald for Talonflame. Due to Breloom's lack of Mach Punch, Kyurem-B and Excadrill can also clean up the core.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)