Ladder ORAS Monotype Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
(this post has nothing to do with our current discussion btw)

I wanted to share an alternative set to our beloved hax machine:

Gianna (Togekiss) (F) @ Metronome
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Roost​

Set details
Very similar to the stallbreaker set from OU, I forego Lum Berry/Shed Shell (rip Gothitelle) for the surprise element. I use Heal Bell on other mons if Gianna ever gets burned or toxic. Metronome increases the power of a move by 20% if used consecutively. I use it in flying but I guess it could work on fairy as well.

The idea is to bluff the common scarf set and hax muscle its checks by either para + flinch or nasty plot on the switch and go to town. The cool thing is that not many ppl expects metronome as an item so some get confident with the damage on the first couple of hits until they start complaining about high rolls. Generally you want to thunderwave faster threats or scarf mons and deal with them later or let another teammate handle them. If you predict a slower bulky mon that doesn't resist flying stab (chansey, cresselia, tentacruel, politoed, gastro, etc) then nasty plot + metronome can make quick work of them in 3-4 hits. This helps a lot versus M-Sableye, I've killed many that were +1/+2 where a scarf set can't revenge with Dazzling Gleam as seen from many replays. For teammates, the usual stuff: SR removal, a cleric and paralysis from other mons is also welcomed (Discharge Zapdos on Flying, Prankster Thundurus/Klefki, etc).

EVs are kinda straightforward, maybe you could add some HP EVs if you wanna set up versus physical mons.

BTW before I start reading posts about it, I'm not implying this is better or works better for Fairy/Flying than the scarf set. I think every team is different and some sets work best sometimes depending on what you need. Hope you enjoy this one!

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The January usage stats are up on the Monotype Website. Note that Smogon now tiers mega-evolutions separately from their base form.

The LTLC clearly had an impact on the ladder stats, with Poison and Fire rising significantly!

Pokemon usage stats and sprite gallery: http://monotypeps.weebly.com/sprite-gallery.html
Type Matchup Table and Imbalanced Matchups: http://monotypeps.weebly.com/matchup-tables.html
Metagame Trends/Type Analyses/Lead Information: http://monotypeps.weebly.com/type-analyses.html

As always, make sure to let me know if you need any help understanding something, or if you find any bugs!

If you'd like to break away from the current discussion topic, Unconventional Mega-Evolutions, to discuss the stats that is fine.

Edit: forgot fire wasn't in LTLC! x-x

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus

You're welcome my children :)

But on a serious note,it's crazy how low Fire went the last few months and I'm glad to see it back rising where it should be and I'm pretty sure average fella and Sabella had a part in that.I'm really surprised that Poison is that high because honestly I thought Ghost would be really high because of LTLC and in my opinion, is the best Lower Tier Type.One another thing is that Steel,Water,Psychic are starting to drop in usage but Flying is still high and rising.
I wonder how MPL is gonna impact on usage stats for the next few months as I think most high players are gonna focus on it instead of laddering for a while.

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break

You're welcome my children :)

But on a serious note,it's crazy how low Fire went the last few months and I'm glad to see it back rising where it should be and I'm pretty sure average fella and Sabella had a part in that.I'm really surprised that Poison is that high because honestly I thought Ghost would be really high because of LTLC and in my opinion, is the best Lower Tier Type.One another thing is that Steel,Water,Psychic are starting to drop in usage but Flying is still high and rising.
I wonder how MPL is gonna impact on usage stats for the next few months as I think most high players are gonna focus on it instead of laddering for a while.
I keep telling everyone
#Fire Isn't Dead
But you do have a point MPL is gonna have an effect on the usage stats. Hoping fire could jump to 6 or 7% Maybe? unless your planning to use fire in MPL for AAA like last year

Βack to the uncommon megas discussion!

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run / Knock Off
- Protect

U-turn provides momentum to make possible switchins into fast attackers such as Roserade. Poison Jab is secondary STAB. Drill Run is to hit Heatran and other steel types but can be replaced with Knock Off if you feel like you can deal with those. Protect is to gain speed on the mega evolution.

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball / Leaf Storm
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Energy Ball is your main STAB but can be replaced with Leaf Storm to hit harder. Shadow Ball is coverage against psychic types and also ghost types like Chandelure that take Roserades attacks. Sludge Bomb is secondary STAB. HP Fire is there to hit pokemon like Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory that Roserade cant hit for good damage and wall Beedrill.

A while ago I was inspired by Stunfisk The Great's old Beedrill poison into making my own Beedrill team but I didn't like using Amoonguss as a Venusaur substitute so I came up with this lovely offensive core. Beedrill is a very underrated mega for poison monos but very good as it can power its way through generic psychic teams with no exception but scarf Victini (its speed allows it to outspeed scarf Hoopa). It also allows poison teams to play more offensively and press opposing teams especially with U-turn momentum.

Roserade gets a great place in Beedrill teams as it can play a great offensive role compared to other options like Amoonguss. Scarf Energy Ball or Leaf Storm hit quite good coming from a base 125 SpA and it also is the only pokemon that can properly use Technician Hidden Power!

Why isn't this core used that much?

Usually Venusaur + Scolipede provide a better core for poison as Venusaur can play both offensive and bulky roles and Scolipede can deal with the psychic types, overshadowing Beedrill and Roserade on those roles. Also this core is really frail and share common weaknesses to fire and flying so they will usually need support from bulky pokemon such as Dragalge.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 216 HP / 116 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I've personally always preferred standard Sableye to its mega variant and as such it opened up the mega slot to tyranitar who i find serves a very solid role as a special tank taking hits extremely well on both the physical and special spectrum for example
-252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 216 HP / 176+ SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 280-332 (70.8 - 84%)
-252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 216 HP / 176+ SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 116-138 (29.3 - 34.9%)
-252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 216 HP / 176+ SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 240-284 (60.7 - 71.8%)

Granted on the keldeo set its not the optimal move to be used vs it however it is just as a measure of this layouts bulk, not needing any attack investment to be a a physical threat either hitting hard despite no investment. Having more attack than raikou does speed. Pursuit can be run in this set using the bulk to your
advantage on forced out opponents.

The best partners for this set are both of the standard dark core in Physdef mandibuzz and sableye the obvious difference on the sableye is that it is a will-o and taunt spreader with knock off hurting threats such as breloom with burns and knocking scarf off of hera for other members to take it on on level field.
If mega sab isnt your thing id highly recomend you at least try this ttar set it may work better for you than some others

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uncommon Mega Evolution

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore/Calm Mind/Substitute

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat/Knock Off

Mega Alakazam although uncommon is viable and very fun to use. Mega Alakazam is often associated with the playstyle of hyper offensive Psychic. Although a fun playstyle it has its flaws with lots of bad matchups. My friend Sabella was one of the first to use this Mega with its playstyle showing that the standard balanced bread and butter Psychic is not the only viable playstyle on Psychic. If you want to have fun on ladder use HO Mega Alakazam Psychic.
Why isn't it used often?
Simply put balanced Psychic is so much better and with plethora of good Megas available (Gallade Medicham Gard) on Psychic along with great walls (Slowbro Mew etc.) Psychic has lots of amazing walls that don't get utilized in hyper offensive playstyle because they won't be used. Also this playstyle is extremely weak to Bisharp due to not having many ways to cripple it. Another major reason is Alakazam does not always get a viable ability since it copies is its own so it is a hit or miss Pokemon in that respect. Alakazam is also hit or miss depending on match as well but in certain matchups it goes off in others it is like baggage which is another reason why it isn't used for consistency concerns.​

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely / Hasty Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Sharpedo is not a very common mega but really viable and can be used on great teams. Personally I like to use it on dark as it can get great defensive support but it can also work on water as a psychic and flying breaker as it can OHKO a few things after rocks and can 2HKO pretty much everything. Its decent SpA also allows it to run a decent mixed attacker to beat physical walls like Skarmory.
Flying

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 282-332 (73.6 - 86.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 172-204 (51.4 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 316-376 (89.2 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Psychic

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 306-362 (77.6 - 91.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 456-536 (112.8 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 237-280 (85.5 - 101%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 322-381 (116.2 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Partners

Dark:

Nothing better than the classic defensive core for dark. Can do enough chip damage and beat Sharpedos few checks and prepare a sweep.

Water:

A great offensive core with right typing can help Sharpedo punch a hole in many teams especially with Gyarados giving a better matchup vs grass and can set up on mons Sharpedo can't beat. Azumarill plays similar role and also can give some Knock Off support. Alternatively, a more defensive approach as in a stallbreaker / wall Tentacruel is a great option too.

Why isn't it used much?

Even though it's great it's usually outclassed on dark by Sableye that forms a strong defensive core or by Gyarados on water, that has the same typing but better bulk, set up move in Dragon Dance and access to Taunt (or Swampert because of Swift Swim).

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to post. I was surprised about the Sprite Gallery that Poison was able to make a huge jump last month! That's probably the highest I ever saw it along with having a bigger usage over Normal and Ground. What an improvement! I wouldn't expect Poison to get much attention even now from it being an underrated type. 5.82% That's very good from my perspective viewpoint! I was also surprised with Drapion dropping from being one of the top used Poison type Pokemon to seventh most used now. It honestly held third place for quite a while for several months. I see the little critter Skuntank have made its way to fifth most used Poison-type now. Skuntank really gives Poison a little backbone in standing up against Psychic-types with Sucker Punch and Pursuit. Maybe even get the jump on physical set up Pokemon with Foul Play! Or make it a bulky Defogger (Even though Tentacruel makes a better entry hazard remover Pokemon you don't get spinblocked when you're playing against Ghost at least.) Really interesting to see Grass in the bottom two now.

As each month passes, Bug continues to dwindle. What a tragic this is beginning to become for the type.

name: Birdy Breaker
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Work Up
move 3: Roost
move 4: Refresh
item: Pidgeotite
ability: Tangled Feet
nature: Timid
evs: 224 HP / 32 SpA / 252 Spe

Anyway On Flying-type mono, I like to use a Pokemon to help break through some defensive Pokemon. What better way to do that than to exploit it with stallbreaker Mega Pidgeot? Even though it's much better using this set on Normal, I do enjoy making use of the set on both Monotype teams. With Mega Pidgeot soaring the skies and setting up on Chansey and other defensive Pokemon such as Mew, Hippodown, and many more, this works as a nice check in removing them off the field. You have the almighty STAB Hurricane to assist you in ripping apart Pokemon with a chance of confusion along with abusing it against Water Monotypes that carry Drizzle Politoed! Work Up boosts Mega Pidgeot's Attack and Special Attack by one stage, making Hurricane much stronger. Roost helps replenish its health, and Refresh keeps it from being crippled from moves such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Will-O-Wisp. Apparently you have to resort to using Tangled Feet because Keen Eye is incompatible with this set. I run 252 Speed with a Timid nature to outspeed a whole bunch of Pokemon. even base 100s. 224 HP makes Mega Pidgeot bulky enough to take certain attacks and 32 SpA helps with getting rid of Chansey at +6 Hurricane (2HKO).

Partners:

I usually swap between the two when using the set above. Landorus-T and Tornadus-T make good partners for Mega Pidgeot. Tornadus-T and Landorus-T can both remove Eviolite, Choice Scarf, Specs, Banded, Leftovers, Focus Sash, etc. (Just listing common items in Monotype) with Knock Off. Additionally, Landorus-T has Intimidate to soften physical attacks for Mega Pidgeot. Thundurus and Togekiss can help get speed control with Thunder Wave. Also Togekiss can shut down defensive Pokemon with Choice Scarf Trick too. Helpful against Focus Sash Pokemon when you can break it with Air Slash and hope for Serene Grace to flinch them such as Breloom. Skarmory assists in taking physical attacks and dealing passive damage to them with Rocky Helmet and Stealth Rock + Whirlwind. Zapdos can Toxic the foe, paralyze them with Discharge, or hope for a Possible burn from Heat Wave.

Of course Mega Pidgeot is barely used on Flying because Mega Gyarados and Mega Charizard Y outclasses it in terms of having better benefits such as Drought and coverage moves such as Solarbeam to remove Rock-, Water-, and Ground-types. Mega Gyarados can be used as a bulky set up sweeper along with setting up with Dragon Dance. But still, each of them have their own different roles. I still like using Mega Pidgeot, it's a fun Pokemon and a fun set.

Last edited:
Uncommon Mega Evolution

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Stealth Rocks
- Taunt​
A set that I've been been mulling over for a while is anti-lead Mega Aerodactyl. While it may be mainly used as somewhat of a suicide lead, it can more than hold its own outside of this application due to its Speed and Tough Claws boosted attack to put the hurt on opposing teams. This can more than help Rock over come some serious threats to itself and can even help turn some matchups on their heads if used correctly.

Why it's not as common:
Unfortunately Mega Aerodactyl has some large and prominent flaws. Its typing is less than ideal defensively for Rock can be easily revenge killed by anything with a Scarf and a higher speed than 84 and has also has a glaring weakness to Bullet Punch. It also faces stiff competition for a Mega Stone from Tyranitar and Diancie with both of them able to do aspects of this set better than Aero. However the advantage Aero has is that it can do all of it at the same time and can do it faster, which, if you're a pace whore is pretty nice

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dazzling Gleam/Flamethrower

Mega audino is really helpful for normal against fighting, as with a crodino set it only really loses to crits against fighting, or unlucky sleep talk rolls. So why isn't it used more? Mega audino isn't used as much since it is usually overshadowed by its more offensive counterparts, mega pidgeot and mega lopunny, however if you want a more defensive option, audino can be a really nice alternative boasting great bulk and enough special attack to run boosting sets as you can see above, or it can run more supportive sets with its huge movepool, such as:

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Healing Wish
- Encore
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

With its massive movepool audino can really run a ton of sets, and since audino isn't even used that much almost all of its sets are unpredictable, this one paralysing threats to common stall teams and bopping lando (which is problematic for some normal teams with godamn knock off) with ice beam. It also provides encore and healing wish support to save a dying team member, as well as encoding some mons like sub cm keldeo into a sub, or a cm, which once again can cause problems to normal.

Good partners for mega audino

If you run the sub cm set it is stopped in its tracks by a few poison mons, as well as having its special defense lowered by acid sprays from tentacruel. Meloetta can switch in and deal with these threats. Chansey provides rocks and twave support to make sweeps easier, and staraptor defogs stuff and intimidates to weaken opposing mons which try to bop audino. Audino also can healing wish into any of these 3 to let them take attacks they can't take at their low health, since they lack quite a bit in one of their defensive stats, Chansey in defense, staraptor in spdef, meloetta phys def, however a healing wish lets them survive an attack they might be 2hkoed by at 50 percent.

Reasons to not use audino mega

Audino is solid stuff don't get me wrong. But if you run a more offensive normal squad, it might not fit into the balance of it and ruin some of your momentum. Also if a normal squad already has a mon which acts as a cm booster, like meloetta, it can be redundant.

However don't let that stop you, mega audino basaically 6-0es fighting, and is a really nice and Unpredictable mon which can help loads in certain matchups. So try it!

Last edited:
Just to add some infos in more what u said.

M-Audino can't 6-0 Fighting, Toxicroak or even Cobalion can kill it.
Another good set is the wisher CM with Dazzling Gleam.
I don't think your second is set is good. I don't see the point of IceBeam (Because Dragons are killed by Dazzling Gleam) and he's enough bulky to wish peacefully to others mon than Healing Wish.

For reasons to not use it, you can mention Steel just beat it without fear.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Just to add some infos in more what u said.

M-Audino can't 6-0 Fighting, Toxicroak or even Cobalion can kill it.
Another good set is the wisher CM with Dazzling Gleam.
I don't think your second is set is good. I don't see the point of IceBeam (Because Dragons are killed by Dazzling Gleam) and he's enough bulky to wish peacefully to others mon than Healing Wish.

For reasons to not use it, you can mention Steel just beat it without fear.
The only time I've fought toxicroaks in monotype is when its in mono uu, but I guess that might just be me getting lucky with matchups, not sure how used toxicroak is in general. Also for cobalion:
56 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 104-126 (25.3 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
(104, 108, 108, 108, 110, 110, 114, 114, 116, 116, 116, 120, 120, 122, 122, 126)

Even if it gets unlucky with restTalk roles, it still bulks at least 4 iron heads which is enough to rest off again, and keep fishing for sleep talk dazzling gleams.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Yeah I dont doubt that croaker is a good mon on fighting because it can pull off a multitude of sets and it can give fighting a good matchup against some stuff but I wouldn't be so naive to say that audino wont beat most fighting teams because of it. Mainly because the usage stats aren't there, you just don't see it on the ladder that much so I think raimon is fine with saying what he said. Coba is still a bit annoying for it tho even if it is a support set. Its kind if a 50/50 on beating coba because of the flinching shenanagins along with cobas bulk which allows it to take multiple gleams and get more chances at flinching audino down. Audino can still take it out tho for sure and coba obv has to be pretty healthy to take it out as well.

The really only other emergency way of fighting being able to take it out is sding on it with gallade and putting it in range for something to hopefully revenge it. Im not 100% sure but I think gallade has enough bulk to chew +1 gleam due to audino being relatively weak. But yeah that and maybe medicham are the really only other ways to weaken it enough to let something else come in and revenge it.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We've already had some posts on Mega-Latias, which I definitely think constitutes an "uncommon" mega-evo on Psychic teams, but I wanted to share some of my experiences with it.

I've been running a bulky Sub-CM Mono-attacking set with pretty good success recently:

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse

The amount of bulk this thing sports is just astounding. It has physical defenses that are comparable to (but not as good as) Slowbro with the given EVs, and is able to Roost stall a LO Latios after 1 CM (that's tanking a Super-Effective, STAB, LO-boosted, base 130 attack coming off a base 130 stat!).

The speed EVs hit 300 speed, which creeps non-boosting nature base 100. (there's definitely a better creep to hit in Monotype since no one runs non-boosting base 100 'mons, but I haven't bothered to update from the smogdex speed EVs).
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 111-132 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 93.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 80 HP / 252+ Def Mega Latias: 103-123 (32 - 38.3%) -- 96.2% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. +1 80 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 260-307 (80.9 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That bulk makes getting behind a sub very easy, which lets you get free hits on common offensive switch-ins and keeps status away. Given the make-up of many Monotype teams, this thing can have a field day in most battles if played well.

Partners

Scarf Jirachi makes an amazing partner for this set. It has Iron Head to deal with Fairies (which lati is just fodder against), Healing Wish to let you use this as a breaker early game then come back to sweep later, and U-turn to safely bring Lati in on 'mons it can setup on.

Slowbro makes a good defensive partner b/c it takes the switch-in responsibilities off of Latias.

Hoopa-U also helps with the Fairy match up and can help break Dark teams in the absence of a Fairy/Fighting mega-evo.

Replays
Below, are a couple replays with the Psychic team I built around this set. I wish I'd saved more b/c the team has a pretty good matchup with most types...except bug. Volcarona just Quiver's T1 and wins. :/

vs. Dragon: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-320293991
vs. Steel: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-320302631

Well I'm not sure if people would count this as an Uncommon Mega Evolution but since I don't see it that much I'm going to go right ahead;
Uncommon Mega Evolution

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb / HP Grass / Sucker Punch
Now while I don't see this very often on Dark or especially fire, this dog can certainly pack a punch. After forcing a switch or just being able to come in on a choice locked mon, it is relatively easy to set up a Nasty Plot or two and then continue to sweep the rest of the team. And sweeping can be relatively easy with a base 115 speed tier allowing it to easily outspeed the majority of the metagame and allowing it to creep past a few of the more notable ones in the very crowded 110 tier. Fire Blast is most notable STAB due to its high base power but you will need to be wary of its accuracy so I slashed Flamethrower for less power but more accuracy. Dark Pulse is secondary STAB with a nice 20% chance to flinch. I put Sludge Bomb in the final slot first to ward off pesky fairies, but with a few exceptions Fire Blast should be doing enough anyway, so I put HP Grass as a Water/Ground deterrent and Sucker Punch is there in case you really don't like to be outsped. Substitute can also fit into the final slot if you don't like status to cripple you.

Why it's not as common:

While it does manage to pack a wallop, unfortunately Mega Houndoom doesn't seem to bring a heap to either type and can find itself outclassed, especially on Fire where Zard Y dominates. It also finds itself weak to most forms of entry hazards which can considerably hinder Houndoom from being able to sweep especially if you decide to use Substitute as well. Its coverage is also less than ideal. Having to rely on Hidden Powers to remove certain threats to the mon is never great and this is a predicament that Houndoom finds himself in. Overall I would suggest if you plan on using Dark to give him a shot, even if its just to see if you could make it work

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Now that this discussion is winding down a bit, it looks like it's time for a new topic.

How can the less defensively-oriented types use stall as a strategy in competitive play?

We all know that types like Water, Normal, and Flying can pull off stall strategies well, but what about all the other types? Have you ever tried a Dragon team or a Fire team that stalls out the opponent with passive damage instead of outright attacking? What about Fighting or Ice? We want to know if any of the other types can manage to use stall as an effective competitive strategy.

And don't limit it to just hyper offensive types either! Any type that isn't known for stall is fair game. Even if you found a unique way to stall using Water, Normal, or Flying, we want to hear about it!

Unconventional Stall
Hello, I'm known for stall and whatnot so I decided to write about Dark as a Stalling Type. Dark can effectively be used as a Stall Type. This I know from experience. A few standouts on Dark Stall are of course Mega Sableye and Mandibuzz, but there are a few Pokémon that seem to be designed specifically for Stall Dark. I will talk per individual Pokémon in this post of mine that can be used on Stall Dark, so lets kick-off.

Mega Sableye is a fairly obvious one, and for a good reason. It has one of the best Abilities for Stall in the game! This along with its good bulk and access to recovery makes this a really good candidate for Stall. It's able to spread burns and is able to support your team with Knock Off, one of the best moves in the game. I don't recommend a Calm Mind set for Stall and this should be used as Utility in my opinion.

Mandibuzz is a great wall and can be either a Physical, Special or Mixed wall. It has access to Defog which allows you to remove any hazards that went past Mega Sableye. This along with a great movepool including Taunt, Knock Off, Toxic, Foul Play, etc. makes this a very versatile Pokémon that should be used on Stall Dark.

Umbreon is the Special Wall, and is a must for Stall Dark, and for a good reason, Heal Bell and Wish. Those two moves are making you able to keep the team alive. You can use Toxic, Foul Play and Baton Pass on this thing next to Heal Bell, Wish and Protect. Baton Pass can be very interesting if you decide to put a hard hitter on your team. What makes this interesting is the item Weakness Policy. Umbreon with good investments should be able to take many Super Effective hits. This combined with something like Hoopa-Unbound can be deadly.

Tyranitar should not be left out because with Sand Stream, it's Special Defense get raised to insane levels. It's Defense stat isn't bad aswell. Tyranitar is able to support your team with Thunder Wave, Stealth Rocks, Pursuit and Phazing in the forms of Dragon Tail or Roar. Tyranitar unfortunately has to rely on Umbreon for recovery, but should be able to help your team out quite alot!

Drapion is an interesting Pokémon that isn't seen much on Dark. However, it does have some niches. One being Toxic Spikes. This move is extremely useful against Fairy, which is very hard to deal with, Fighting, and other types. Other moves of Drapion include Whirlwind, Knock Off, Pursuit and Taunt. Drapion is really useful for Fairies, but don't expect to win against Fairy quite easily still. Drapion lacks reliable recovery and has to rely on Umbreon to get healed.

Hydreigon is something you usually expect to be offensive, but with access to Roost, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Roar and Steel Breaking capabilities, it's something you definitely need to give a try! It is able to switch into Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pumps, but beware of Secret Sword.

Scrafty is a cool Pokémon and can be used as late game Setup Sweeper. With Rest, Amnesia, Bulk Up and Knock Off or Crunch this thing already beats a handful of types, including Dark. Dragon Dance can also be used but I don't recommend it. Intimidate can be useful when using moves such as Knock Off, Toxic, Taunt, Roar and Counter! It's HP is not the best for Counter, but it is usable still.

Krookodile is a cool thing. It's able to set Stealth Rocks and it has access to Taunt, Roar, Pursuit and various other useful moves. Intimidate as Ability gives it overall more Physical Bulk and is quite useful. Krookodile also gets Counter, and its HP stat is not bad!

Cacturne is an overlooked Pokémon, but should not be underestimated. Since the ban of Greninja, Cacturne was the only way to set Spikes on Dark. Its Defenses aren't the greatest so this would definitely need support. If you decide to run synthesis on this thing, make sure you know it only heals 25% of the maximum HP when in Sand. It has 2 great abilities, 1 being Sand Veil which can work together with Tyranitar quite well. The other ability is Water Absorb which means this is a great way to prevent stuff such as Bounce Gyarados to sweep (assuming you are using Spiky Shield).

Liepard is a rather annoying Pokémon and it's because of Prankster. Liepard has a good amount of Status moves, some are Taunt, Encore and Thunder Wave. Foul Play is also really useful on this Pokémon when looking at its Speed Stat. It also can use a variety of moves such as Sucker Punch.

Sidenotes
When building a team you should look at the following, The upper part of the above should mainly be used, whilst the bottom few Pokémon are niches. Of course when building a Stall Dark you can make use of an offensive Pokémon, few examples are:

Threats:
Fairy Types

Fairy Types are a pain in the arse to deal with. You usually would need Offensive mons such as Hoopa-Unbound, Bisharp and Crawdaunt. Drapion will be something useful for these matchups but the lack of recovery really sucks.

Setup Sweepers

Setup sweepers can be very hard to deal with and often require gimmicks such as Endure + Red Card to beat. Offensive Pokémon again come in handy for some of these Pokémon.

Hard to kill Pokémon

Bulky Pokémon that do not care much about Status Effects are very hard to kill. This usually requires Taunt if you want a chance, Mandibuzz being a notable one.

Overview
Dark isn't the best of Stall types but, its definitly not bad. Dark requires an offensive Pokémon in my opinion, Hoopa-Unbound being my choice usually. What Stall Dark also needs is a Steelbreaker. This is because Steel types are immume to Toxic. Also the lesser used Poison Should be looked out for. Make sure you got at least 1 Taunt user, or else you're not going to beat Gliscor.

Unconventional Stall

I didn't really know how to do this so I decided to make a team, explain their uses and post a couple replays to show the team off.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Wish
- Protect

Clefable is the first thing that came on my mind, a good Unaware user to beat set up sweepers. It also serves as a Wish passer for the rest of my team that lack recovery.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Encore

Then I thought of Whimsicott, great staller and can also break set up sweepers. It also helps a lot vs water.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost

I wanted a dedicated Special wall so I added Togekiss. That also adds hazard control on my team.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes

I had no answers to poison moves so I went for Klefki. I went with a Toxic + Spikes set for residual damage.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Then I added Diancie for Stealth Rock and Heal Bell support to Heal Clefable or Togekiss from a possible Toxic.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

At last I was a bit unsure but I went with Azumarill to break opposing stall and help me vs ground and steel. I didn't think a defensive set would fit this team especially when I needed to check things like Iron Head Kyurem-Black so I went for an offensive Belly Drum set.

Some threats:

Pokemon like these have great super effective coverage to my whole team and should be treated carefully. The easiest way to stop them is to lock them into a resisted move with Whimsicott (Excadrill, Landorus, Nidoking, Magnezone) or flinching with Togekiss (Venusaur).

Stallbreakers (especially Taunt ones) have little to fear from most stall teams. The only way to properly beat them is with Azumarill and that is a hard task if it's Swords Dance Gliscor and Will-o-Wisp Mew.

Note: these weren't that high on ladder so sorry if you think the quality isn't the best.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-330908295 vs Dragon - Even though I had a positive matchup I thought it shows off the roles of each mon.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-330914731 vs Dragon - Again, I thought it was a cool match to show off.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-330919033 vs Ground - I lost this one but it came really close, mostly shows off some threats and how to play vs ground.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-330922339 vs Water - It shows off how good Whimsicott can be on stall.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-330927195 vs Fire - This was vs an interesting team but it shows of a bit of Diancie and Whimsicott as well as Azumarill.

In general fairy has access to some great stall material but it can be hard to pull off. It's a hopeless matchup vs steel and even poison is hard. It also has limited options so it cant really be played in many ways. Other than that it is pretty good and can get you a decent rating.

Unconventional Stall

Hey people, as you probably know I'm known for using Grass, and I thought that would be a good opportunity to explain how well Grass can work defensively (even though most people would rather go for the offensive path instead with mons such as Breloom and Serperior). Its actually one of my favorite styles to use on Grass, and I can state it works very well, thanks to the great and famous defensive core (Mega-Venusaur and Ferrothorn), but in fact, it actually has a nice variety of options to use defensively which are often overlooked, that I will list and explain below.

You might be surprised at the variety of options for this playstyle ;)

Impossible to forget, Mega-Venusaur has great defensive stats and Thick Fat (which makes it a must on every Defensive Grass team). Access to moves like Synthesis, Giga Drain, and support moves like Sleep Powder and Leech Seed makes it very durable and makes it a nuisance to be taken down for several types. It also helps versus so many threats who would just demolish your team otherwise. There's isn't really much to be said here, since Mega-Venusaur is already well known for its qualities and what it is capable of doing.

Another must on defensive grass, Ferrothorn's great Grass/Steel type allows it to form a great defensive core with Mega-Venusaur, making it able to handle many mons (those with Flying and Psychic coverage + Kyurem-Black) that threatens Venu. Although it lacks reliable recovery, Leech Seed + Protect allows it to dish a nice amount damage and gives Ferrothorn a good sustain and durability. Ferrothorn is also a great hazard setter, and excels at setting Spikes, which are great for defensive Grass, especially when you consider that Leech Seed puts pressure and can act as a semi-phazing move.

The best speciall wall avaliable on Grass, its secondary Rock type allows it to sponge many Fire and Flying moves coming from the special side. This is extremely important for taking down threats such as Chandelure, Togekiss and Mega-Pidgeot, which would be nearly impossible to handle otherwise. It is also a great Stealth Rock setter (since you're probably using Spikes on Ferro already, and it helps saving a moveslot on it). It gets Recover and Toxic which are also amazing for the team.

You might be wondering how you are dealing with setup sweepers, and this is the answer. Prankster + Encore makes it able to notably check most setup threats in the metagame, forcing them to switch. Moves like Leech Seed and Substitute can be very helpful at times, and it acts as a great stallish support (and annoyer).
It is also your main answer to Mega-Sableye and can be very helpful on Dragon, Fighting and Dark matchups. Feel free to run a more offensive approach on it if you are having difficulties on taking down those teams. Stun Spore is also an option worth mentioning, which it can reliably put Mega-Pinsir in check assuming you have enough speed EVs to be able to outspeed it, even if it uses Quick Attack.

Rotom-Mow is probably your best pivot, and it can work very well in this playstyle. Grass/Electric typing gives you a better time against Flying moves that can threaten your team, and its your best option at checking Mega-Pinsir. Access to Will-o-Wisp and Volt Switch helps keeping momentum, and can cripple physical threats. That's a solid option to be considered, for sure.

Tangrowth is often overlooked, which makes it surely underrated. A pure Grass typing might make you think that this option is useless, but think again. The fact its not weak to Psychic and Fighting moves allows it to check/counter many threatening mons that relies on that coverage (Hoopa-U, Meloetta, Alakazam, and so on). Knock Off is also very useful, checking the Pokemons I mentioned earlier and it also has the very utility of taking your opponent's item (useful vs normal teams). You should be using Assault Vest mostly, or else you're better with mons such as Gourgeist instead (in case if you are looking for a physical wall).
Regenerator and solid stats for a defensive pokemon are also worth being mentioned. Another interesting fact is that Ground gets way easier to handle if you are using this, considering how annoying Landorus and Garchomp can be at that matchup.

Celebi has solid stats all around, access to Recover, nice support moves(Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, Healing Wish), and Natural Cure, which functions as a great status absorber. It works nicely with offensive sets too (Choice Scarf/Life Orb), allowing your team to have an way easier time vs Poison and Fighting, and it also makes it more unpredictable, especially considering you are going for a defensive style.

Ludicolo is a good option to be considered because of its Water/Grass typing, even despite you're mostly going for an offensive set on this one. Rain Dance + Swift Swim allows it to become a immediate threat versus Fire (assuming the opposing CharY is gone) and Ground teams, and it can also switch-in on moves such as HP Fire from weaker mons, should you lose Cradily. It also has a decent coverage (Ice Beam, Scald/Hydro Pump, Giga Drain, Focus Blast, etc). The ability to handle Gliscor fairly effectively is also appreciated, considering how much of a threat SD Gliscor can be to this team.

That's an interesting option, although you might not need it most of the time, thanks to the fact you'll already have Mega-Venusaur (probably the only real thing it can do that Mega-Venusaur struggles against is handling -Mega-Medicham/Mega-Gallade). It does an amazing job on sponging physical hits, and Will-o-Wisp + Leech Seed can be an annoyance for unprepared opponents. It can act as a reliable spinblocker too, but keep in mind most of the teams actually rely on Defog for hazard removal.

Threatlist:

Bug Setup Sweepers:

That's easy to understand: Both Mega-Pinsir and Volcarona can demolish your team once they have used their setup moves. You can check them with Whimsicott (do keep in mind its risky switching in) if they use their setup moves. Cradily can handlle those, but then you have to make sure they are at +0. Rotom-Mow can be a nice answer to Mega-Pinsir, but be aware Quick Attack still troubles you at +2.

Fire and Psychic Wallbreakers

Fire wallbreakers can pretty much 2HKO all your team (that includes mega-venusaur and cradily), and psychic wallbreakers are as much as trouble thanks to their fighting coverage, which also destroys your team.

Some of replays are old, yet they still give us a basic idea of my team works (its centered on a defensive idea)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-282223933 vs Bug
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-277996404 vs Bug (again)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-282102020 vs Ground (this one took a bit more of an offensive approach, but the team is the same)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-277693385 vs Normal
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-296194430 vs Flying

Why it is not common:

The fact Grass has 5 weakness often leaves it vulnerable against many types, and it gives an even harder time versus disadvantage machups. Access to mons such as Breloom, Serperior and Stun Spore Whimsicott tends to lead Grass teams to a more offensive playstyle, thanks to the power and the utility of the mentioned Pokemon.

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unconventional Stall
This is a very interesting topic so time to contribute something. The type I found very interesting yet fun to play stall with was surprisingly one of most Offensive types in Dragon. I found dragon stall to be best played in "Hyper Stall" when I was messing around with it a bit.
Options

Garchomp is probably most vital in Dragon stall due to the fact that is one of very few Scizor checks/counters (rocky helm bulky) that dragon has to offer. Also it is the best bulky Stealth Rocker on Dragon. Dragon Tail also helps taking down opponents very slowly. Also takes out steel lots of steel types with Earthquake+Fire Blast coverage it usually uses.

Mega Latias helps a lot with this playstyle especially with the T-Wave bolt beam set helping with paralyzing and eliminating flying type threats. It is the best mega to use of Dragon Stall. It also can run a more passive support set with healing wish meaning you can play your dragon stall a bit more recklessly.

Being able to set up Toxic Spikes. This is beneficial because it makes it easier for your team to "outbulk" your opponents team. Also a very good fairy type switch in due to having massive special defense stat (most fairy types are special attackers).

The other bulky stealth rocker option Druddigon although it does not deal with Scizor as well as chomp it has its uses. With moves such as Glare(can paralyze ground types) Sucker Punch (priority). It is the number two stealth rocker but has a niche similar to Zygrade.

It surprisingly is very bulky with immediate and access to support moves such as wish,defog, and roost this Mon is very useful for healing up team embers when they get low or blowing the pesky hazards away. Also can possibly be a soft Scizor check if it carries Fire Blast.

Goodra having the massive 150 special defense STAT can take special hits with ease especially with an assault vest. This can serve as a tank(it can dish out damage and take special hits). With moves such as Draco Meteor,Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Sludge Wave,Muddy Water,Earthquake, and Dragon Tail. It also has the option of acid armor boosting its weaker defense making it very hard to take down.

Zygarde is often overlooked on most dragon teams although on Stall dragon it can fulfill some roles. Having access to Coil (can become a defensive monster with it) Glare(can paralyze ground types). The problem with it being it having no reliable recovery(rest talk is not reliable) and its ability being useless in the Monotype tier.

Dragonite is a cool defensive Pokemon having access to support moves like Defog (Inner Focus only), Thunder Wave, Heal Bell (inner focus only), Toxic, Roost, Haze, and Dragon Tail. This Pokemon is decent defensively and it can be a very good cleric.

Can run a defensive set to "Tank" ice type moves also has reliable recovery in roost and other support moves in Dragon Tail and Substitute. Also has unique set up move of Hone Claws which works very well with Dragon Tail
Fairy Types

Fairy Types can ruin stall dragon due to lack of switch ins to fairy type moves. Keeping Dragalge healthy is one of the only ways to keep the pesky fairy types in check. Offensive and Defensive fairy types are both just as bad for Stall Dragon to beat.
Offensive Ice Types

Due to the lack of Ice Resists on dragon prioity ice shards or Choiced Scarf Ice beams can be very damaging to the team. Like I said before dragon stall is more effective as "hyper stall" from what i have experienced the 1 or 2 offensive Pokemon usually check ice types
Scarf Outrage Spam

Sadly there is no way to "outbulk" outrage spam although it has largely died down (due to introduction of fairy type) it still exists in monotype. This is dealt with in a similar way to how ice types are dealt with in "Hyper Stall" with faster choice Scarf Offensive Mons.
Setup Sweepers

If setup sweepers are not dealt with properly they will beat this playstyle with ease. Using good offensive Mons and playing smart are the best ways to deal with most set up sweepers.

Can patch the Outrage Spam weakness by running a Choice Scarf also can defog hazards away. It also can beat bulky fairy types and set up sweepers with Trick in general very good Pokemon to patch the weakness.

If not used defensively it can be used to check Fairy and Ice (HP Fire) types (Iron Head) and in general is flexible. Utilizes Choice Scarf and Life Orb item depending on the team

Hydregion is good partner as well because it can eliminate fairy types (Flash Cannon) and also gain momentum with U-Turn allowing your team to switch into the proper wall

Why is it not so common
This style is very hard to use and sometimes gets Matchup'd. This playstyle has some very good matchups as well due to fact of dragon being decently as a defensive type. Stall dragon's "good matchups" are almost one sided due to fact almost every Pokemon can take a resisted or super effective non STAB hit which does very little to most of these Mons.
Quick shoutout to ThimoTheUltimateBOBO for helping me out with this.​

Last edited:

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
Unconventional Stall
This topic of stall just clicked something in my head that really made me cringe every time I saw someone mention it. It made me tell them all the reasons why you shouldn't run it, but since it fits the thread, I'm gonna discuss Stall Fire.... Going to list some possible team mates that would be good for considering with Stall Fire which is probably one of the most difficult to play with in my opinion, but can be fun if played right.

Flareon is a pokemon that is pretty much never used on regular fire, but can have some potential on stall fire because of it's good Special Defense Stat, and mainly it's access to Wish, Protect, and Baton Pass. Wish can really help out Flareon's other bulky team mates that don't get any other healing support besides Lefties such as Torkoal, Heatran, and Rotom Heat. It also has a good move pool to lower stats of the opponent such as Confide, Charm, and Priority Baby Doll Eyes. Status moves such as Toxic and Will-o-Wisp are good too to widdle down mons. It's 130 Base Attack is also good to use when facing other sp.def orientated mons like Zapdos with Flare Blitz.

Heatran serves an amazing role on stall fire thanks to good 106 Sp.def and 90 Hp (which is better than flareon), Steel Typing to tank hits(Like Drop a Draco's) and good movepool. It gets Taunt to stall break Mons, Stealth Rock to set them, and Roar for shuffling with rocks on the field. Lava Plume and Earth power are standard reliable moves on it.

Torkoal has a nice base 140 Defensive Stat with a decent 70 HP stat making it a nice defensive wall to anything that isn't ground, water, or rock(it can live a move from one of these physical hits at full but these are so common it hurts) It's access to Rapid Spin is good to clear rocks on the field from it's team mates and it's access to the move Yawn is good in shuffling teams with rocks and eventually forcing something to sleep. Custap or Lefties would be well on this.

Rotom Heat has good 107 Base Defense and Special Defense all around, but a lack luster 50 HP stat. Despite this it gets moves that bolster defenses on teams(which is also used on normal fire as well shout out to Disbelief ) such as Reflect and Light Screen. Will-O-Wisp is good to cripple physical Mons, and volt switch is good to gain momentum. Pain Split for a form of recovery.

Decent 80 Defense plus 90 HP plus Intimidate make Arcanine an intresting physical tank/wall. It gets Will-O-Wisp to help cripple physical mons, and unlike torkoal, gets Morning Sun for Recovery. Flare Blitz for stab and Extreme speed/Wild Charge for coverage.(Still can't handle heavy super effective moves from rock, ground, and water stabs)
I saw how people who used Flying would use Sp.def orientated Zard Y, so why not try it out on fire? It has amazing 115 Base Special Defense, access to Sun which is good for handling water, Will-O Wisp to cripple Mons, Solar beam for coverage, Roost for recovery, and even defog for hazard removal.(Or the standard Fast Speedy Set is fine too)
Mega Diancie

Just like how it beats fire because of it's speed and coverage no surprise it beats stallish fire.
Rock and Fighting Types

Lol. Rock just destroys me. It's mainly terrakion on rock too. It's much worse on fighting thanks to mons like Mega Medicham, Mega Gallade, Keldeo, Infernape(Hazard Setter) THEN Terrakion.
Set Up Sweepers
If I don't play around set up sweepers like Gyarados or Dragonite I could be swept in an instant. Need to rely on Defensive Rotom-Heat in Sun or Arcanine.

Now it shouldn't be all stall fire, some offensive partners would be pretty nice to help.

Good Wallbreaker with or without sun, and good speed control with a scarf.

Good speed, and good Movepool can help with weaknesses like Garchomp or Hippowdon thanks to Grass Knot or Hidden Power Ice. Also works well with Close Combat which is good for beating steel or Fire Punch or Overheat. Life Orb is recommended.

This is a good pokemon thanks to good coverage and move-pool in both Physical and Special sets. Access to Trick to cripple mons too. If you want you could run a stall breaker Victini Set with Taunt, Bolt Strike, V-create, and Will-O-Wisp.

Scarfed or Sub Calm Mind could be a fun set to try.

Houndoom mega is interesting if you want to use a Specially Defensive Ninetales set + this for power in the sun.

Why It Isn't used
Stall Fire is extremely hard to use because it focuses on more of a defensive play of Fire which Fire as a type is not really meant to do since most of it's mons specialize in Attack, Special Attack, Speed, and need a life orb or a choice item to hit hard as hell. It is also outclassed a lot by regular Hyper Offensive Fire or just Balanced Fire as a whole. Match ups on Stall Fire aren't in it's favor too thanks to how common ground, water, fighting, certain flying Mons, and psychic are in the meta game which overpower Fire. It's still a fun idea to try if you are interested though.

Last edited:
Unconventional stall
I'd like to discuss stall ground next. It's not too bad an idea on paper, with Pokemon like Gliscor, Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Quagsire and even Garchomp to some extent. The problem with this is a massive weakness to ice and water, types that are very common as coverage. Still, it can succeed against certain teams, such as Dragon, Dark and Steel.

Hippowdon is a classic ground wall with reliable recovery in Slack Off and phasing in Roar and Whirlwind. It also sets up Sandstorm on switch-in, which weakens the opponent in small bites. Additionally, it's arguably the best Stealth Rocker on the type, so Hippowdon is imperative on a ground stall team.

Gliscor is a fantastic wall. Status absorption, Stallbreaking with Taunt, reliable recovery with roost and poison heal, high speed on a wall, the list goes on. One can run the Substitute-Protect-Toxic stall set in order to completely shut down certain enemies, but this may leave you without some utility that you would have otherwise needed. Just remember to not get hit by ice attacks.

Gastrodon is your check/counter to water and ice types, being able to take both. Scald is an extremely useful move, since it's very likely to burn a foe (it says 30% chance, but you know it's much more), and crippling physical sweepers or wallbreakers is always convenient. Additionally, it has recover to gain back lost health, and can even use Stockpile, if you wish to keep it on the field for long.

The reason I am including Garchomp on this list is because of the Rocky Helmet set, a very popular set in the OU metagame, which shreds physical attackers, who are forced to take somewhere around 30% damage when they hit Garchomp with a physical attack. It can be used as a bulky pivot on a stall team if necessary.

Landorus-T has great stall potential thanks to Intimidate, which should render a lot of physical attackers helpless against it. Landorus is good at using Knock Off to get rid of an item, then U-Turning out into a different Pokemon. Also, with its huge attack stat, even uninvested Earthquake does a lot of damage.

Surprised? Yeah, me too. Eviolite Piloswine is most probably your only answer to ice type attacks. It's not too bad of an option, with a decent 100 base HP and a physical defense of 80, it allows for some decent physical bulk without investment. Therefore, the EVs are placed into special defense for maximum ice beam-tanking potential.

So why isn't it used?

Dealing with Ground's weaknesses, namely ice and water, is not achieved through stall. A balance team is preferred, with plenty of offensive checks to end battles quickly. With ground's pool of great attackers, it makes sense to put them to use. Also, ground doesn't have too many tanks that don't share the same properties, and I had to include Landorus and Garchomp on a whim. You're better off running a balance team in pretty much every scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)