Ladder ORAS Monotype Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm, got mixed feelings, I guess we'll see how Zapdos on Flying goes but if it pushes it to a global ban then RIP Electric lol. Seriously as an Ice player I feel sorry for Electric, they got like maybe 9 pokes to work with, maybe 2 phys attackers in general. Hope a next installment brings them something to work with. Inb4 Hail Rock ban

Ight, feel like posting i do.

Im glad there was some big changes done, and kudos to the council on that. As we have seen recently through suspect discussion, typing bans had begun feeling like more trouble than it was worth. We could argue ad naseum for how the old flying core was a bitch yes, but then turn to how Char X felt fine for just a type ban on flying, even if it could accomplish similar (albeit it not as easy) results on fire. It helps cut down on voting options, making it clear cut and dry as it sometimes needs to be. Too many cooks in the kitchen ruins the meal, as does votes on how to do it with this mon so i am happy on that change.

Also Im really happy that some of these bans werent bogged down by the idea of a suspect test in the slightest. Some of these issues have been asked to be suspected for forever or just to be looked at and were (looking at Char X). Sure it took a Zapdos unban to get it gone, but im happy the thing is gone. Dont care bout a flying nerf, just cared how it, like Mega Alt, invalidated playing some games.

Really, when i got a heads up on this from a friend, I was told the stuff had gotten reset, and Im glad it wasnt what I was told. Yes some things were brought back due to simplification (Gallade) and maybe some things will be looked at in the future cause of the rule tweaks, but its changes that were needed. It felt like they were coming for awhile, even if the announcement was sudden.

And to that I say thanks and good day.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Honestly this just centralized the meta more... it'll just be lots of bug tons of psychic tons of flying instead of tons of bug lots of flying lots of psychic... steel is also great atm. I don't know why the banlist needs to be simple, but it's the council's choice. I'll look forward to spamming steel now :P

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
meh thoughts...

Bug: With bug being one of the few types im more comfortable with I am most certainly going to miss genesects presence on bug and what it brought to the table for me. However, that shit needed to go...no two ways about it. IN MY OPINION and just base off of what I've seen on the ladder since the ban in terms of bug, is that I feel that people are still trying to force that generic bug too much. (webs + rocks, mega pins, hera, volc core) in the battles I've battles against it, generic bug without genesect is not really all that good anymore. Gene's absence may seem to put bug users a step back, but ffs open ur eyes and show some creativity. This is a fabulous opportunity to break out of that generic bug style and use some really cool mons that are very effective for bug. I've been going with a double speed boost core in scoli, and yanmega as of late and its been doing quite well for me along with mega hera who just eats teams alive.

I just hope battlers don't take the gene ban the hard way, but rather look at it as an opportunity to use fun and effective stuff that bug has to offer.

Psy: I was not around when mega gallade was legal on psy so I don't really know too much about how well it performs on the type. I do think that along with hoopa, Psy is going to be extremely tough to beat. I do think however that if people still stick with bug and not give up on it then Psy will be held in check just based on metagame trends and if bug is still a top 3 used type, which it still should be even without gene. It's going to be interesting on how much gallade impacts the meta so I'll wait and see.

Flying: Never had any experience with zap on fly, but with the absence of Zard X I hope it wont be too bad trying to break through flying cores. I'm looking forward to seeing Psy vses flying matchups to kinda see which type has maybe a slight edge, but who knows o_O. Only time will tell with zap and I'm looking forward to seeing this monster in action.

My thoughts: =D

Zapdos Unban: I was never here back when Zapdos was actually allowed so I don't really know how annoying/broken flying was, but Zapdos + Skarm core looks extremely annoying.

Char X Ban: Char X deserved it imo, I see why its banned and totally agree with it.

Genesect Ban: YES! Finally, I've waited too long! Again, I don't even see why its allowed in the first place.

Genesect: We're trying to remove Type-Only bans, so it is either unban from Steel or ban from Bug. Easy choice: the metal bug gets dekt.
<3

Galladite Unban: This'll definitely make Psychic broken. Psychic is already one of the best types with the most variety. Nerfing Bug and unbanning this makes it even better

The next bans are most likely going to be either Hoopa-U for Psychic, Pinsirite or Galladite globally, although we should wait for a few weeks (maybe months?) till the next ban.

Last edited:

SaNeski

Always gone at the people in charge of these things because of how genesect nd zard x were overlooked, but it seems like I owe you guys a round of drinks. Y'll are the real MVP.

/highlight delete, ban genesect

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have a question, sorry for my English...
so, Talonflame was banned in Monotype because "it can almost 6-0's by itself mono-grass, bug and fighting thanks to Gale Wings+Brave Bird spam"...why isn't MegaScizor banned, instead? It could kill a lot of pokemon, against an Ice monotype...
after a swords dance, it kills everything. For example:
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 524-618 (129.3 - 152.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 576-680 (160.4 - 189.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And you can't do anything, you can use only hidden power fire(because ice pokemon can't learn a real fire move) and it doesn't often kill Mega-Scizor. For example(i used smogon movesets):
200+ SpA Kyurem Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 276-328 (80.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Walrein Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 232-276 (67.6 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Abomasnow Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 264-312 (76.9 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
How can I do? Ice pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock, too. And they are weak to very used priority moves, like mach punch or bullet punch.
So...if Talonflame is banned...why aren't Scizor or Scizorite banned? Mega-Scizor(especially with +2 attack, thanks to Sword Dance) "can almost 6-0's by itself mono-ice". However, MegaScizor can learn Superpower, too...so...bye, bye, ice pokemon.
This is my opinion, sorry if I don't follow some rule.

Hi, I have a question, sorry for my English...
so, Talonflame was banned in Monotype because "it can almost 6-0's by itself mono-grass, bug and fighting thanks to Gale Wings+Brave Bird spam"...why isn't MegaScizor banned, instead? It could kill a lot of pokemon, against an Ice monotype...
after a swords dance, it kills everything. For example:
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 524-618 (129.3 - 152.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 576-680 (160.4 - 189.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And you can't do anything, you can use only hidden power fire(because ice pokemon can't learn a real fire move) and it doesn't often kill Mega-Scizor. For example(i used smogon movesets):
200+ SpA Kyurem Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 276-328 (80.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Walrein Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 232-276 (67.6 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Abomasnow Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Scizor: 264-312 (76.9 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
How can I do? Ice pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock, too. And they are weak to very used priority moves, like mach punch or bullet punch.
So...if Talonflame is banned...why aren't Scizor or Scizorite banned? Mega-Scizor(especially with +2 attack, thanks to Sword Dance) "can almost 6-0's by itself mono-ice". However, MegaScizor can learn Superpower, too...so...bye, bye, ice pokemon.
This is my opinion, sorry if I don't follow some rule.
If everything that beat mono ice was banned there wouldn't be much of a metagame left

If everything that beat mono ice was banned there wouldn't be much of a metagame left
Bullet punch is a priority move, like talonflame's brave bird. Bullet punch kills every ice pokemon, generally.
And you can't do anything. Scizor isn't a simple counter for an ice team.
You can't do anything because Scizor attacks with a priority move.

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
There was a large discussion on Scizor and Mega Scizor a while ago, with emphasis on how it treated ice. The conclusion was that firstly, Scizor could be beaten, only Mega Scizor was unbeatable. Secondly, only Ice loses to Mega Scizor. Talonflame was banned because it was stopping three types from being able to do anything, and moreover that two of those types would be good were it not for Talonflame. Mega Scizor only truely stops one type from doing well, and that type will unfortunately still be bad even if we were to ban Mega Scizor. For that reason, I'm not going to be supporting a Scizorite suspect anytime soon.

My Thoughts...

Charizard X

Tbh I didn't think he would get banned like this, I wished he would have atleast got suspected. However, it's ok since we have zapdos. The only thing I absolutely detest is the banning of it on fire with the justification being "Collateral Damage". Are you serious? I understand we should strive to make our decision more align to smogon but the very nature of our tier requires us to compromise. In no way whatsoever is Chari-X overpowered on fire and even close to the threat as it is on Flying. Smogon wouldn't ban something for collateral reasons (Hence why we had Drizzle+SS ban in Gen V). They didn't just ban drizzle out right for collateral reasons just for the sake of not being complex.

Genesect

Bug is fine without it, Tier is better for it buh-bye

Mega Gallade
Ok holy hell. Psychic is Completely buffed this time around. Charizard-X forced psychic to run either a tank that can wear it down(toxic slowbro) or just the easier option of scarf latios. Genesect put more pressure on victini and kind of restricted teambuilding psychic to just 5 slots. Now those two would've been enough to the already good type, but now they Mega Gallade. NO. Seriously just no. We voted this thing off the island it wasn't like the Zapdos ban uh-uh it was a communal out cry. What I think the monotype council needs to do in this situation is to compromise.
You cannot ban it on Fighting because it isn't broken and Fighting does rely on it(it's on 61% of all Fighting teams and being used more than Infernape. However on Psychic Mega Gallade is OP as F*%K even w/out the Chari-Gene Buff. For this reason I think Mega-Gallade fully warrants a Type-Only Ban

Zapdos

Even though I was heavily against Chari-X I understand I will not always have my way. Fortunately this isn't fallout because we got this big bird bastard. What I think Zapdos does is allow the Flying Meta to adapt however w/out it I would be very concerned for Flying. I am happy the council did this and will see what the meta holds for Flying. Also S/O to Barida for Originally Suggesting the banning of Zard-X and reintroducing Zapdos.

That about sums up my thoughts on the matter

TL;DR Psychic is OP, Type-Only ban galladite and Flying should be able to adapt

There was a large discussion on Scizor and Mega Scizor a while ago, with emphasis on how it treated ice. The conclusion was that firstly, Scizor could be beaten, only Mega Scizor was unbeatable. Secondly, only Ice loses to Mega Scizor. Talonflame was banned because it was stopping three types from being able to do anything, and moreover that two of those types would be good were it not for Talonflame. Mega Scizor only truely stops one type from doing well, and that type will unfortunately still be bad even if we were to ban Mega Scizor. For that reason, I'm not going to be supporting a Scizorite suspect anytime soon.
Without mega-scizor, ice pokemon could fight...because, with bullet punch, ice pokemon couldn't do a move. They died without doing anything. So...couldn't we ban Scizorite only on Steel monotypes, Articuno I? Because, if you battle a steel team(with mega-scizor) with an ice team, you will lose surely. It's unfair, isn't it? You are sure to lose, using a mono-ice.

"Mega Scizor was unbeatable"
In fact. Why isn't it banned? Are the ice pokemon inferior? :( It's unfair, in my opinion...you should have the possibility to use monoice...but you can't do that because of Mega-Scizor.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Without mega-scizor, ice pokemon could fight...because, with bullet punch, ice pokemon couldn't do a move. They died without doing anything. So...couldn't we ban Scizorite only on Steel monotypes, Articuno I? Because, if you battle a steel team(with mega-scizor) with an ice team, you will lose surely. It's unfair, isn't it? You are sure to lose, using a mono-ice.
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. It's not that I think Ice can beat Mega Scizor, it can't. But in order for Scizorite to be suspected, it would have to beat more than just ice, and moreover even if we banned it, Ice would still struggle hugely against a vast number of types such as Steel.
Moreover, the entire past few days have focussed on getting rid of type-specific bans. We're not going to just suddenly add another one.

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. It's not that I think Ice can beat Mega Scizor, it can't. But in order for Scizorite to be suspected, it would have to beat more than just ice, and moreover even if we banned it, Ice would still struggle hugely against a vast number of types such as Steel.
Moreover, the entire past few days have focussed on getting rid of type-specific bans. We're not going to just suddenly add another one.
Ice pokemon could fight against Skamory, Heatran or another Steel pokemon...because there aren't priority moves. You can use a move, you don't die in a turn, without doing anything. You have the possibility to use a move, against the other pokemon. You can't do that with Mega-Scizor and Bullet Punch.
Ok, Scizorite can't be suspected, but I ask only a bit of justice...you can use Grass-Mono, Fire-Mono, Water-Mono...but you can't use Ice-Mono(in order to win), because a Steel-mono(with scizor) would beat it surely.
Isn't it unfair, in your opinion? :(

I know that mega-scizor beats only Mono-Ice, but it's unfair, for ice pokemon...no? :(

I like ice pokemon and I can't use them for a priority move.
So, can't be Scizorite banned only on mono-steel? Because playing against mono-steel is already very difficult...but playing against mono-steel and Mega-Scizor is impossible, for a mono ice.

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Ice pokemon could fight against Skamory, Heatran or another Steel pokemon...because there aren't priority moves. You can use a move, you don't die in a turn, without doing anything. You have the possibility to use a move, against the other pokemon. You can't do that with Mega-Scizor and Bullet Punch.
Ok, Scizorite can't be suspected, but I ask only a bit of justice...you can use Grass-Mono, Fire-Mono, Water-Mono...but you can't use Ice-Mono(in order to win), because a Steel-mono(with scizor) would beat it surely.

I know that mega-scizor beats only Mono-Ice, but it's unfair, for ice pokemon...no? :(
Look. Yes, mega scizor beats mono ice. Yes, that's unfair. But if we ban it, then it stops people from using an otherwise fine pokemon, and at the same time Ice still struggles hugely. Sure, you can beat skarmory, heatran etc., but 75% of the time ice will still lose to steel as opposed to the 80.7% we have currently. And at the same time, Steel and Bug lose a very useful pokemon, giving them far less opportunities.

So what I'm saying is that yes, mega scizor beats ice. And yes, that's unfair. But it's not unfair enough to justify banning such a useful, otherwise balanced pokemon.

But Scizor wouldn't be banned, only mega-scizor...
People could use Scizor, no? :(

Scizor can be beaten by an Hidden Power Fire, megaScizor no. :(

I like ice pokemon and I can't use them for a priority move.
So, can't be Scizorite banned only on mono-steel? Because playing against mono-steel is already very difficult...but playing against mono-steel and Mega-Scizor is impossible, for a mono ice.
I'm just gonna rehash what GodChef said. If we try to help the lower tiers we will be weakening the Top Tier and more relevant types too much. Idk what exactly is monotype's end game is. Would someone be kind enough to post the goal for our tier?

"Sure, you can beat skarmory, heatran etc., but 75% of the time ice will still lose to steel as opposed to the 80.7% we have currently."
But you have the possibility to beat a mono-steel.
With Scizor, you haven't any possibility. It's impossible.
Crazy Horse, i can't speak English very well and I didn't understand your message a lot, sorry...

Purply Mega Scizor has to do more damage to other types as well besides Ice Mono. Even with the ban of Mega Scizor, it doesn't necessarily mean that Ice would have any more of a chance to win against Steel-types. You still have regular Scizor that's able to hold items as well, which you can Choice Band or Life Orb it and can pretty much destroy the mono with Technician 252 Adamant Bullet Punch / Superpower. There's no actual difference in whether its mega is banned or not because at the end of the day, you still have its regular to deal with.

You can't just suggest the banning of one Pokemon just because it completely destroys 1 mono. It has to deal a lot of damage to the metagame in multiple types for that to happen. Take Talonflame for example, I mentioned earlier that Pokemon gives Steel, Ice, Fighting, Grass, and Bug a tough time to overcome and many types have no way of dealing with it, meaning you'd have to force yourself to run certain sets or items to prepare yourself for it. I would say you might want to look at the bigger picture. I myself specialize in Mono Steel and don't even need a mega to steamroll an Ice mono.

Reactions: DoW
MegaScizor destroys 1 mono, yes, but I think that Ice pokemon are as important as the other pokemon.
Instead, you can't use a mono-ice. You can't.
Bullet Punch can't threaten Fairy or Rock monotype because Rock pokemon has a great defense, while, on fairy monotypes, there are Azumarill and Klefki, which can't be killed by a stupid Bullet Punch.
Ice pokemon haven't anything. They haven't any advantage. It's already unfair(I think that Pokemon's creators hate Ice pokemon xD), if you add Mega-Scizor...

I think that people should have the possibility to play with their favourite type...

You can't fight if you are sure to lose. Being killed without doing anything isn't funny, it's very boring.
I play in order to enjoy myself using my loved ice pokemon, but I can't.

MegaScizor destroys 1 mono, yes, but I think that Ice pokemon are as important as the other pokemon.
Instead, you can't use a mono-ice. You can't.
Bullet Punch can't threaten Fairy or Rock monotype because Rock pokemon has a great defense, while, on fairy monotypes, there are Azumarill and Klefki, which can't be killed by a stupid Bullet Punch.
Ice pokemon haven't anything. They haven't any advantage. It's already unfair(I think that Pokemon's creators hate Ice pokemon xD), if you add Mega-Scizor...
I understand what you're coming from, but it still doesn't matter if Mega Scizor is banned or not if you still have its regular to use. You're missing the bigger picture of what the rest of the Steel-type Pokemon can do. Lets not forget that many Steel-types can take down a lot of Ice-type Pokemon. It can't always be centered around a Mega Scizor when you have:

Choice Scarf Excadrill that carries Iron Head and Rock Slide, both of which can cause flinching and OHKO some of the Pokemon Ice Mono carries. Also with Jolly nature, Excadrill will be outspeeding pretty much every Ice Mono you have unless you somehow run a Jolly Choice Scarf Weavile.

You have a Magnezone that runs Choice Scarf as well with Flash Cannon and making use of Volt Switch allowing it to be an excellent pivot and also helps with taking down Cloyster because I know how great its Special Defense is. Also Magnezone gets rid of Pokemon holding Focus Sash,

-Choice Scarf
-Flash Cannon
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt

Skarmory as your excellent entry hazard setter and physical tank taking many hits from in breaking Focus Sash Pokemon and Sturdy Avalugg with Stealth Rock opening a more of a chance completely sweep them. Also making use of Whirlwind to deal damage to multiple Pokemon on your team leaving you with less switches. Giving Ice Mono a loss in 25-50% of their HP (excluding Mamo and Aurorus). It can even take a +2 Skill Link Icicle Spear from Cloyster. Also it keeps it from setting up as well. You'd have to run Articuno or Delibird to get rid of them. Also this can be a way for Bisharp to switch in and get a Defiant boost from Defog.

-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Whirlwind

Ferrothorn another tank that gives Steel-types an advantage in Speed control with Thunder Wave and is able to use Leech Seed and Protect to stall and switch out with giving your teammates HP back if your opponent attacks. Also with the parahax, it gives you a chance to set up if you're running Pokemon such as Bisharp and Doublade. Even Heatran puts a stop to ice types as well.

I'm just keeping things short here. Don't want to make paragraph ranting from these haha.

Mega Scizor isn't the only Pokemon ice would have to worry about.

Bullet punch is a priority move, like talonflame's brave bird. Bullet punch kills every ice pokemon, generally.
And you can't do anything. Scizor isn't a simple counter for an ice team.
You can't do anything because Scizor attacks with a priority move.
Scizor is a problem but honestly people have found so many ways to check it by now that shit like hp fire cloyster isn't even a suprise. I am not trying to make up calc or anything like that when I say this but I thought that totally maxed defense walrein can take 2 +2 mega scizor bullet punchs (I'm lazy so not gonna check). Not only this but ice is a type with seriously badmatchups and banning scizor will have many bad effects on the metagame, for example bug would be utterly screwed against mega diancie. Not to mention after it is banned i am almost certain that steel would still absolutely demolish ice, bug will still have a favorable matchup against ice but next to nochance against fairy, and ice would still be bottom usage because types like fighting still destroy it.

Please don't bring up a scizor ban you yung fool, the types weren't made to be equal and acting like banning scizor will save the world is childish and incredibly wrong

Edit: I checked the calcs, max defense lives 2 and also checked a specs walrein calc, it lives mega scizor and can ohko with hp fire unless it'd a bulky variant and obviously it helps with other shit too like frost breath vs mega sab

Last edited:
My opinions on the recent updates can be summed up by Crazy Horse's post its on page 17. The opinions on psychic and the new meta have already been stated so I wont go into that.

I believe that each player of Monotype as a tier should not be fixated on 1 type, I firmly believe overall balance is impossible to achieve and it will ruin the tier to attempt to do so. No matter what we do internally Game Freak might choose to release a new pokemon or mega next game that completely throws everything off balance. They might release a new rock pokemon that has adaptability, average bst of 600 and the rock version of extreme speed, you never know. Game Freak never cared about type balance, it was never their goal and since we all have to by an extent play by their rules we shouldn't either.

This is not to say the less viable types have no place, if anything I can speak from my own experience Poison does well against Flying, or Water. Im sure there are good matches against the top tier types with lower tier types. I enjoy playing Poison but I would be blind and irrational to think that Poison can perform as well as pre-nerf Bug or Flying. But if I learn and play different type like Water I find that whatever bad match ups Ive faced as Poison can be overcome by playing Water and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)