Project ORAS OU Core-Building Competition (Round 12 - Setup Spam - Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core 6
machamp paraspam is the best, love it. i don't need another vote, only wanted to show my support for such an excellent skill-based strategy that relies on trying to eke out every last percentage point, pokemon at its best.

Voting has ended and the winners for this round is Core 8 by p2 and Core 12 by -Magic- . Congratulations to the winners!

Core 1:
Core 2:
Core 3: 2
Core 4: 3
Core 5:
Core 6: 1
Core 7: 4
Core 8: 5
Core 9:
Core 10: 1
Core 11: 1
Core 12: 5
Core 13: 1

Round 12
Theme
: Setup Spam
Building Condition: Every Pokemon within your two or three Pokemon core must have a setup move or ability ranging from Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Rock Polish, Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Agility, Belly Drum, Tail Glow, Bulk Up, Quiver Dance, Power-up Punch, Shell Smash, Work Up, Contrary, Curse, Moxie, Sharpen, or Coil

Please be aware that we will be omitting any cores that features a Pokémon Core that is already well known throughout the community. If it isn't your own original core, don't nominate it please. This basically means if it's in the Good Cores thread don't post it.

Have fun!
gamer boy I beat you bruh:pimp:

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
u wot m8 -Magic- ill rek u irl 1v1 me bruh
Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP OR 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Fire
If you want heat, it doesn't get much hotter than harsh sunlight! I'm turning back the clock to pre-chlorodrought/streamrush clause BW2 OU and using our lord and saviour Ninetales. NP Ninetales was honest to god one of my favorite sets to f*ck around with in gen 5, and while offensive Ninetales is now mostly outclassed by ZardY at this point its ability to hold Heat Rock gives it a small reason to be used. Tbh I just wanted to use NP Ninetales again (I've been planning this ever since -Magic- pitched setup spam in the convo lol), and it still remains super funny to watch defensive mons crumble to this thing. Sunny Day is a must to catch Tar/Poli switch-ins to net a 2HKO v.s. fat variants with an unboosted Solar Beam. Venusaur is a monster under the sun, so extending the number of turns it can abuse it for is sweet. This works well with Growth due to Venu having more turns to abuse the sun after getting to +2. EQ is a must so the core doesn't autolose to Heatran.

Idc if this core gets rejected by the other council members lol I had a buttload of fun using it over the past few days

Edit: also messed around with Sawsbuck alongside Ninetales+Venu the other day and its a monster

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Crunch
- Superpower

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire

This core's actually pretty legit in the current meta, and I've been using it lately and having a lot of success with it. Mega Tyranitar is a forgotten threat in the meta, and while it does receive some competition from the other Megas in OU, it's still crazy threatening to a lot of teams with it's Dragon Dance set. Celebi is one of the best partners for Mega Tyranitar, as it can wall a lot of the threats that check Mega Tyranitar, such as bulky waters, Pokemon that are faster than Mega TTar even after a DD, such as Scarf Lando-T and Mega Lopunny, and set up on them with Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot + 2 Attacks Celebi is a really underrated set in this meta and it can successfully break open bulkier teams for Mega Tyranitar to sweep through. The choice of the last slot for Celebi is up to your preference: I personally prefer HP Fire as this core is pretty weak to Mega Scizor and it can also lure in Ferrothorn. However, Earth Power is still a good option to hit Steel types and Fire types. Heatran makes a great partner for this core if you don't use HP Fire on Celebi, as it can switch in on Ferro and Scizor easily and can also set up Stealth Rock for the core. Ice types like Weavile are also good partners as they can threaten Grass types and also give the core a better matchup against offensive teams. Landorus-Therian is a great partner to set up Stealth Rock, provide momentum with U-Turn, and check a myriad of threats, like Mega Charizard-X and Mega Scizor. Overall, this is a really cool core featuring a really underrated mon in Mega Tyranitar, and I hope you like it! :)

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I'm lazy
Thundurus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Flying / Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave / Focus Blast

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Substitute

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Facade / Mach Punch
Many slashes but this core is pretty versatile so you can use this diffrent ways. The main idea behind this core is to exploit many electric-weak teams to accomplish a Raikou or Thundurus sweep. Many teams only have 1 pokemon such as Hippowdon, SpDef Heatran or Latias to stop a Thundurus / Raikou sweep. In many matches, either Raikou or Thundurus can set up, fire off a powerful attack and leave the Hippow / Lati / Tran whatever at low HP. After that, one of the other teammates can force this pokemon out (Breloom forces out Heatran and Hippowdon for example) so they can't recover up. After this, they are too weak to check the other electric type.
Breloom has an important role as a switchin to electric resists that can take HP Ice, such as Quagsire, Gastrodon and Ferrothorn. The PH set is awesome against stall teams, which often have multiple answers to offensive electric types (like Chansey + Unaware Clef) and is only stopped by a few mons such as Mega Venusaur and Skarmory. The former can be weakened by SD Facade or lured in by Thundurus' HP Flying, so Raikou can sweep easier, while the latter gives both Raikou and Thundy a free switchin.
Mach Punch can be useful on Breloom to revengekill pokemon such as Excadrill, Heatran, Weavile and Mega Lopunny, but the lack of Facade gives the core a more difficult time against Unaware Clefable, SD Talonflame, Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss. HP Flying on Thundurus lures in Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss to support Breloom, while it still does enough damage to hurt Hippowdon and Latias. It also hits Gastrodon and Quagsire harder. Thunder Wave can be used to have a nice back-up check to setup sweepers such as Zard-X and MLopunny, but Focus Blast is sometimes prefered to hit Ferrothorn, Excadrill and Chansey.

Of course there are some things that really give this core troubles such as Weavile, Zard-X, Kyurem-B, Lati@s, Sand Rush Exca, Unaware Clefable and Mega Venusaur, but there are still 3 slots left and you have an amazing matchup against most teams with this offensive core.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Iron Head

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz / Hidden Power [Ground]

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
Aggron is one of those slow-monsters that starts of innocently, but then just snowballs. Many times when using this thing, I'll start using curse, and the opponent will try to burn with will-o. Once rest is revealed, they usually just forfeit. T-wave is also an option in place of curse, but that requires a more offensive spread. Aggron handles pretty much anything that isn't a crazy special attacker, so it's almost bound to get boosts off.

Volcarona is an ABSURDLY threatening pokemon that is a hugely underrated threat, in my opinion. Though it is normally walled by Heatran, you can run HP ground as a lure, and OHKO any offensive variants after a boost. If you see a bird or some rock attacks, kindly direct them in the direction of M-aggron.

Everyone knows what this azumarill does. Kills fires, fighters, grounds and rocks that bother the other two. The grass types, like serp and Mvenu, that scare azumarill out, get plundered by the other two members of the core.

Standard aids core:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Iron Defense

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Bulk up

Used to break stall, wall fire types, wall fighting types, basically wall everything, trap if need be, you can drop roar for rock tomb if you feel like donking talon flames abuse broken mons, setup and win. Your run of the mill core

Last edited:
Standard aids core:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Used to break stall, wall fire types, wall fighting types, basically wall everything, trap if need be, you can drop roar for rock slide if you feel like donking talon flames abuse broken mons, setup and win. Your run of the mill core
Heya, nice core. Maybe you can rework it a bit, however, to meet the core building criteria.
Building Condition: Every Pokemon within your two or three Pokemon core must have a setup move

Heya, nice core. Maybe you can rework it a bit, however, to meet the core building criteria.
Building Condition: Every Pokemon within your two or three Pokemon core must have a setup move

It is done, tran now runs iron def to abuse tflame switchins. Magmastorm it, taunt, ID, rock tomb***(need speed drops), rinse repeat. Also added standard bulk up taunt tflame taunt you, setup in your face.

(Edit: After 1 ID you pretty much take every 2hko and make it a 3. univested. )

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna repost this core that I posted on the good cores forum (I posted it ages ago), even though I know the guidelines say not to. No one uses this core, it's not popular. However, it's one of my favourite offensive cores, and I think it's really underrated.
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
This core goes the 'BirdSpam' route. The goal in mind is obviously to weaken each other's checks enabling its partner to sweep. Bisharp and Scizor share similar checks in things like Keldeo, Bulky Garchomp, Mega-Sableye, Hippowdon, and Heatran. So the idea is to take advantage of one teammate weakening the checks of the other, enabling the second partner to come through and sweep.
Offensive Mega-Scizor is by far the lesser used Scizor set, but it still remains just as threatening as it always has been. The extra speed it receives upon mega evolution is actually really nice, allowing Scizor to hit a good speed tier, and still run an Adamant nature.
Bisharp is Lum because it makes the core better vs a lot of stall mons. It takes a Twave from Chansey, a Wisp from Sableye, and also takes weak Scalds from things like Slowbro knowing that it doesn't have to worry about burn. Adamant Bisharp to break down Scizor's checks as quickly as possible as well as it allows me to run a little bit of SpDef investment to better handle HP Fire Latios.
If you were the one who posted it initially then there are no issues as it is your core :mad:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty effective core that I've been using for a while that can really break down opposing teams well, and I really like it because the sets that I have listed are just one group of sets that you can use, which adds a mystery factor, and these mons can lure in their partner's checks/counters. Azumarill does really well vs offense while manaphy is supposed to beat slower and more defensive teams, both members of the core hitting hard with water STAB and their coverage options. Azumarill can sweep most offensive teams if it can ge
t a boost some time in the middle of a game. Manaphy is an amazing sweeper that can dispatch defensive teams quite easily. If there is only one mana check that is liable to tg rd, and you have chosen to run ice beam or psychic on Manaphy, it can quite easily 6-0 ABR stall with little to no effort, and most balanced or slow offensive teams lack an answer to manaphy, making it an excellent sweeper vs those teams as well. All in all, the combined offensive pressure that these three mons put on opposing teams is enormous, and each mon of this core can win games by itself if you play well, so both of them together put intense strain on the opposing team to make aggressive plays and keep their walls healthy so that one of these mons don't beat them.
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

Breloom @ Fist Plate
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Psychic

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

This core was initially built around Breloom for a Hyper Offense team. Breloom has a great matchup against a lot of common threats such as Hippowdon, Bisharp, Ferrothorn and Slowbro and Spore could potentially give either it or its partners setup opportunities. However, it needs help to overcome Flying types, Mega Venusaur, Unaware Clefable, Mega Altaria and others.

Psychic Manaphy seemed cover a lot of these threats really well, luring Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss and having decent neutral coverage with Scald. Rain Dance would also give it a better matchup against Clef most notably. It loses to Ferro and Chansey in most cases, but the two fighting types of the core handle those.

Lucario patches things up, having Extreme Speed to combat Torn-T, Thundurus and Talonflame and beating Clefable solidly presuming that Iron Tail hits. Loom and Manaphy cover Slowbro, Gliscor and Hippowdon pretty well too.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

This is a really cool balance Dragon/Steel/Fairy core that I have had so much fun using. The idea is that the three mons work together to weaken each other's checks so that one of them are able to pull out a late-game sweep. Clefable provides T-Wave support which is nice so that Latias can use its great bulk to be a really threatening Calm Mind user. Cobalion is very underrated and can use its SubSD set to set up on mons like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Bisharp with its fantastic defensive typing and great physical bulk along with nice dual STAB's to do great damage to opposing teams. Certain ground types, more specifically Excadrill are a giant pain to this core, but this can be solved by throwing a good bulky water type/Exca check to deal with it, but overall this is a very fun core to use.

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Garchomp - Weavile - Thundurus-I

The idea here is to overload the checks each teammate has. SD Weav is a fun and underrated set that does a nice job weakening the likes of Skarm, which SD Chomp enjoys. It's able to severely weaken Clef, making it much easier for Chomp and Thund to break without having to set up. Moreover, Weav threatens bulky grounds like Hippo and Lando-T to further aid Chomp.

Like its fellow teammates, Chomp is also able to weaken Clef tons. This is very helpful for Weav and Thund, and allows those two to break Clef more easily. Another Pokemon Chomp does a nice job weakening is Azu, and Weav appreciates heavily. Being able to take advantage of certain Pokemon Weav dislikes, such as Mega Sciz, is another way Chomp works with the core. Thund will be thankful for Chomp's ability to soften up Hippo and Mega Venu with its SD boosted attacks. Finally, Chomp provides SR, bulk to make up for the frailty of the other two members, and check to otherwise troublesome threats like Mega Lop.

Thund adds to the core's offensive presence and is able to overload many of the same things mentioned above, like Clef and Hippo. Electric STAB is great to scare Pokemon like Skarm, which is useful since the other two members need boosts before being able to threaten the bird. Thund + Weav offer great offensive coverage between their STABs, and the genie can also abuse the steels Weav hates.

Long story short, every member here is able to break down checks for one another. Typing wise, the STABs provided by each member provide a team with beautiful offensive coverage. Weav's weaknesses to several common types can sometimes be hard to cover, and Thund + Chomp help with this by supplying resistances to fighting, rock, steel, etc. My favorite thing with this core is being able to overload fairies like Clef despite having two members weak to the type. Having two SR weaknesses can be annoying, so consider hazard removers alongside the core.
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Set Up Core:
MLopunny + Pangoro Dual Scrappy (Set up+Fighting Spam) + Talonflame

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Gunk Shot

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Quick Attack

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Mega Lopunny (Power Up Punch) and Talonflame really annoy the hell out of most fast offensive teams and balanced teams as well, and pack quite the punch, and a very common core, but you may ask urself: "WTH is Pangoro doing here?"
Simple: This thing destroys Balanced and MSableye stall to shreds with Life Orb + SD, and believe it or not, there is LITTLE OR NO SWITCH INS TO PANGORO WHATSOEVER IN STALL!!!!! So dont underestimate this bad boy. However, Pangoro struggles against fast offensive teams which are all the more common, and thats where Tflame and MLopunny come in to do a chunk to them. And Tflame and MLop may struggle with stall a bit but not too much, and thats where SD Pangoro destroys.

This core ironically has a weakness to itself, meaning other tflame and Mlop beat this core, and so does Sand Offense, so stuff Rocky helmet Lando etc do really good here :)

It is now voting time and these are the cores you have to choose from:

Core 1

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP OR 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Fire

If you want heat, it doesn't get much hotter than harsh sunlight! I'm turning back the clock to pre-chlorodrought/streamrush clause BW2 OU and using our lord and saviour Ninetales. NP Ninetales was honest to god one of my favorite sets to f*ck around with in gen 5, and while offensive Ninetales is now mostly outclassed by ZardY at this point its ability to hold Heat Rock gives it a small reason to be used. Tbh I just wanted to use NP Ninetales again (I've been planning this ever since -Magic- pitched setup spam in the convo lol), and it still remains super funny to watch defensive mons crumble to this thing. Sunny Day is a must to catch Tar/Poli switch-ins to net a 2HKO v.s. fat variants with an unboosted Solar Beam. Venusaur is a monster under the sun, so extending the number of turns it can abuse it for is sweet. This works well with Growth due to Venu having more turns to abuse the sun after getting to +2. EQ is a must so the core doesn't autolose to Heatran.

Core 2

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Crunch
- Superpower

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire

This core's actually pretty legit in the current meta, and I've been using it lately and having a lot of success with it. Mega Tyranitar is a forgotten threat in the meta, and while it does receive some competition from the other Megas in OU, it's still crazy threatening to a lot of teams with it's Dragon Dance set. Celebi is one of the best partners for Mega Tyranitar, as it can wall a lot of the threats that check Mega Tyranitar, such as bulky waters, Pokemon that are faster than Mega TTar even after a DD, such as Scarf Lando-T and Mega Lopunny, and set up on them with Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot + 2 Attacks Celebi is a really underrated set in this meta and it can successfully break open bulkier teams for Mega Tyranitar to sweep through. The choice of the last slot for Celebi is up to your preference: I personally prefer HP Fire as this core is pretty weak to Mega Scizor and it can also lure in Ferrothorn. However, Earth Power is still a good option to hit Steel types and Fire types. Heatran makes a great partner for this core if you don't use HP Fire on Celebi, as it can switch in on Ferro and Scizor easily and can also set up Stealth Rock for the core. Ice types like Weavile are also good partners as they can threaten Grass types and also give the core a better matchup against offensive teams. Landorus-Therian is a great partner to set up Stealth Rock, provide momentum with U-Turn, and check a myriad of threats, like Mega Charizard-X and Mega Scizor. Overall, this is a really cool core featuring a really underrated mon in Mega Tyranitar, and I hope you like it! :)

Core 3

Thundurus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Flying / Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave / Focus Blast

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Substitute

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Facade / Mach Punch

Many slashes but this core is pretty versatile so you can use this diffrent ways. The main idea behind this core is to exploit many electric-weak teams to accomplish a Raikou or Thundurus sweep. Many teams only have 1 pokemon such as Hippowdon, SpDef Heatran or Latias to stop a Thundurus / Raikou sweep. In many matches, either Raikou or Thundurus can set up, fire off a powerful attack and leave the Hippow / Lati / Tran whatever at low HP. After that, one of the other teammates can force this pokemon out (Breloom forces out Heatran and Hippowdon for example) so they can't recover up. After this, they are too weak to check the other electric type.
Breloom has an important role as a switchin to electric resists that can take HP Ice, such as Quagsire, Gastrodon and Ferrothorn. The PH set is awesome against stall teams, which often have multiple answers to offensive electric types (like Chansey + Unaware Clef) and is only stopped by a few mons such as Mega Venusaur and Skarmory. The former can be weakened by SD Facade or lured in by Thundurus' HP Flying, so Raikou can sweep easier, while the latter gives both Raikou and Thundy a free switchin.
Mach Punch can be useful on Breloom to revengekill pokemon such as Excadrill, Heatran, Weavile and Mega Lopunny, but the lack of Facade gives the core a more difficult time against Unaware Clefable, SD Talonflame, Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss. HP Flying on Thundurus lures in Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss to support Breloom, while it still does enough damage to hurt Hippowdon and Latias. It also hits Gastrodon and Quagsire harder. Thunder Wave can be used to have a nice back-up check to setup sweepers such as Zard-X and MLopunny, but Focus Blast is sometimes prefered to hit Ferrothorn, Excadrill and Chansey.

Of course there are some things that really give this core troubles such as Weavile, Zard-X, Kyurem-B, Lati@s, Sand Rush Exca, Unaware Clefable and Mega Venusaur, but there are still 3 slots left and you have an amazing matchup against most teams with this offensive core.

Core 4

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Iron Head

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz / Hidden Power [Ground]

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Aggron is one of those slow-monsters that starts of innocently, but then just snowballs. Many times when using this thing, I'll start using curse, and the opponent will try to burn with will-o. Once rest is revealed, they usually just forfeit. T-wave is also an option in place of curse, but that requires a more offensive spread. Aggron handles pretty much anything that isn't a crazy special attacker, so it's almost bound to get boosts off.

Volcarona is an ABSURDLY threatening pokemon that is a hugely underrated threat, in my opinion. Though it is normally walled by Heatran, you can run HP ground as a lure, and OHKO any offensive variants after a boost. If you see a bird or some rock attacks, kindly direct them in the direction of M-aggron.

Everyone knows what this azumarill does. Kills fires, fighters, grounds and rocks that bother the other two. The grass types, like serp and Mvenu, that scare azumarill out, get plundered by the other two members of the core.

Core 5

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

This core goes the 'BirdSpam' route. The goal in mind is obviously to weaken each other's checks enabling its partner to sweep. Bisharp and Scizor share similar checks in things like Keldeo, Bulky Garchomp, Mega-Sableye, Hippowdon, and Heatran. So the idea is to take advantage of one teammate weakening the checks of the other, enabling the second partner to come through and sweep.
Offensive Mega-Scizor is by far the lesser used Scizor set, but it still remains just as threatening as it always has been. The extra speed it receives upon mega evolution is actually really nice, allowing Scizor to hit a good speed tier, and still run an Adamant nature.
Bisharp is Lum because it makes the core better vs a lot of stall mons. It takes a Twave from Chansey, a Wisp from Sableye, and also takes weak Scalds from things like Slowbro knowing that it doesn't have to worry about burn. Adamant Bisharp to break down Scizor's checks as quickly as possible as well as it allows me to run a little bit of SpDef investment to better handle HP Fire Latios.

Core 6

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Iron Defense

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Bulk up

Used to break stall, wall fire types, wall fighting types, basically wall everything, trap if need be, you can drop roar for rock tomb if you feel like donking talon flames abuse broken mons, setup and win. Your run of the mill core

Core 7

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

This is a pretty effective core that I've been using for a while that can really break down opposing teams well, and I really like it because the sets that I have listed are just one group of sets that you can use, which adds a mystery factor, and these mons can lure in their partner's checks/counters. Azumarill does really well vs offense while manaphy is supposed to beat slower and more defensive teams, both members of the core hitting hard with water STAB and their coverage options. Azumarill can sweep most offensive teams if it can ge
t a boost some time in the middle of a game. Manaphy is an amazing sweeper that can dispatch defensive teams quite easily. If there is only one mana check that is liable to tg rd, and you have chosen to run ice beam or psychic on Manaphy, it can quite easily 6-0 ABR stall with little to no effort, and most balanced or slow offensive teams lack an answer to manaphy, making it an excellent sweeper vs those teams as well. All in all, the combined offensive pressure that these three mons put on opposing teams is enormous, and each mon of this core can win games by itself if you play well, so both of them together put intense strain on the opposing team to make aggressive plays and keep their walls healthy so that one of these mons don't beat them.

Core 8

Breloom @ Fist Plate
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Psychic

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

This core was initially built around Breloom for a Hyper Offense team. Breloom has a great matchup against a lot of common threats such as Hippowdon, Bisharp, Ferrothorn and Slowbro and Spore could potentially give either it or its partners setup opportunities. However, it needs help to overcome Flying types, Mega Venusaur, Unaware Clefable, Mega Altaria and others.

Psychic Manaphy seemed cover a lot of these threats really well, luring Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss and having decent neutral coverage with Scald. Rain Dance would also give it a better matchup against Clef most notably. It loses to Ferro and Chansey in most cases, but the two fighting types of the core handle those.

Lucario patches things up, having Extreme Speed to combat Torn-T, Thundurus and Talonflame and beating Clefable solidly presuming that Iron Tail hits. Loom and Manaphy cover Slowbro, Gliscor and Hippowdon pretty well too.

Core 9

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

This is a really cool balance Dragon/Steel/Fairy core that I have had so much fun using. The idea is that the three mons work together to weaken each other's checks so that one of them are able to pull out a late-game sweep. Clefable provides T-Wave support which is nice so that Latias can use its great bulk to be a really threatening Calm Mind user. Cobalion is very underrated and can use its SubSD set to set up on mons like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Bisharp with its fantastic defensive typing and great physical bulk along with nice dual STAB's to do great damage to opposing teams. Certain ground types, more specifically Excadrill are a giant pain to this core, but this can be solved by throwing a good bulky water type/Exca check to deal with it, but overall this is a very fun core to use.

Core 10

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

The idea here is to overload the checks each teammate has. SD Weav is a fun and underrated set that does a nice job weakening the likes of Skarm, which SD Chomp enjoys. It's able to severely weaken Clef, making it much easier for Chomp and Thund to break without having to set up. Moreover, Weav threatens bulky grounds like Hippo and Lando-T to further aid Chomp.

Like its fellow teammates, Chomp is also able to weaken Clef tons. This is very helpful for Weav and Thund, and allows those two to break Clef more easily. Another Pokemon Chomp does a nice job weakening is Azu, and Weav appreciates heavily. Being able to take advantage of certain Pokemon Weav dislikes, such as Mega Sciz, is another way Chomp works with the core. Thund will be thankful for Chomp's ability to soften up Hippo and Mega Venu with its SD boosted attacks. Finally, Chomp provides SR, bulk to make up for the frailty of the other two members, and check to otherwise troublesome threats like Mega Lop.

Thund adds to the core's offensive presence and is able to overload many of the same things mentioned above, like Clef and Hippo. Electric STAB is great to scare Pokemon like Skarm, which is useful since the other two members need boosts before being able to threaten the bird. Thund + Weav offer great offensive coverage between their STABs, and the genie can also abuse the steels Weav hates.

Long story short, every member here is able to break down checks for one another. Typing wise, the STABs provided by each member provide a team with beautiful offensive coverage. Weav's weaknesses to several common types can sometimes be hard to cover, and Thund + Chomp help with this by supplying resistances to fighting, rock, steel, etc. My favorite thing with this core is being able to overload fairies like Clef despite having two members weak to the type. Having two SR weaknesses can be annoying, so consider hazard removers alongside the core.

Core 11

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Gunk Shot

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Quick Attack

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Mega Lopunny (Power Up Punch) and Talonflame really annoy the hell out of most fast offensive teams and balanced teams as well, and pack quite the punch, and a very common core, but you may ask urself: "WTH is Pangoro doing here?"
Simple: This thing destroys Balanced and MSableye stall to shreds with Life Orb + SD, and believe it or not, there is LITTLE OR NO SWITCH INS TO PANGORO WHATSOEVER IN STALL!!!!! So dont underestimate this bad boy. However, Pangoro struggles against fast offensive teams which are all the more common, and thats where Tflame and MLopunny come in to do a chunk to them. And Tflame and MLop may struggle with stall a bit but not too much, and thats where SD Pangoro destroys.

This core ironically has a weakness to itself, meaning other tflame and Mlop beat this core, and so does Sand Offense, so stuff Rocky helmet Lando etc do really good here :)

You have until Wednesday (2/10) to get in your vote!

This thread however can't be ran anymore as Bendiving as the main host as he has other irl duties to attend to. gamer boy and I will be creating a new thread the day voting ends, so we can have more fun discovering new cores! It is sad to see Bendiving go as he has been a great host.:pirate: Good luck out there buddy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)