Project ORAS OU Core Building Competition V2 (Round 30: Stalkers) Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting is over and our winner is Infernal with her Mega Aerodactyl + Gengar core! Build around Mega Aerodactyl with me btw Infernal!
Core 1: 2
Core 2: 1
Core 3:
Core 4:
Core 5: 3
Core 6: 1
Core 7: 4
Core 8: 2
Core 9: 9

Week 17
Nap Time

Restriction: At least 1 teammate must have a move that induces Sleep.

The next part of our Status week is Sleep! The Pokemon above are a few examples of great users of the Sleep status effect such as Spore and Sleep Powder, so have fun!

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

this is a pretty fun regenerator core, it can deal with fighting type as mega lop, terrakion, and with fairy types as clefable, work very well on semistall/balance builds, but is fine also in full stall, i choose colbur berry on slowbro because can beat 1vs1 weavile having a chance to burn it with Scald, finally the Amoonguss set is standard.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate / Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish / Stealth Rock

One of Bronzong's biggest flaws is its lack of any offensive presence. While some common Bronzong switchins, such as Talonflame, Rotom-W, and Slowbro are vulnerable to Toxic, many other switchins, such as Heatran, Amoonguss, Rain Dance Manaphy, Bisharp and Skarmory, do not care about any offensive move of Bronzong or Toxic. With Hypnosis, Bronzong can cripple pokemon from both groups, making it much harder to safely switch into.
Landorus-T is not the best option for the other part of the core type-synergy wise. Landorus-T can check pokemon like Zard-X, Talonflame and Mold Breaker Exca, and Bronzong can check pokemon like opposing Landorus-T, Latios, and Mamoswine, but they still share common checks like Mega Slowbro, Mega Sableye, Manaphy, and Tangrowth.
The main idea behind this core, and behind many Hypnosis Bronzong + Setup Sweeper (Mega Pinsir, Feraligatr, Azu and more) for that matter, is that Bronzong can lure in common checks like Rotom-W, Skarmory and Slowbro with Hypnosis. If you play the sleep turns well, you can Swords Dance up against a pokemon that can't hurt Landorus-T, and when they go to Rotom-W / Skarm / Whatever, you can most of the time break through them.

I was bored so I made a replay showing the core: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-380797150

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
another disgustingly fat core

Tangrowth @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Leech Seed / Rock Slide / any of the other 10000 filler options

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 186 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave / Calm Mind
- Slack Off

So this defensive core features phydef tangrowth which eats up hits from offensive grounds like no one's business. Its main goal is to pivot in on the ground, sleep it, annoy it with giga or filler, and switch out. Tran makes for a naturally great partner for tang as it handles a lot of the special attackers that give tang issues like latis and such thanks to its great typing while also checking a few physical attackers tangrowth struggles against like mega scizor and talonflame. Slowking is the final member of this core and it checks a lot of miscellaneous threats to those two but notably offensive waters like keldeo and volcanion. You can fool around with slowkings spread if you like. You can also run cm slowking if you want a wincon but thats up to you.

Last edited:

BIG G CHOPPA

Banned deucer.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Magic Coat

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Not too much to say about this but yes its a core with smeargle (puke). Smeargle is the sleep inducer as it carries spore, i guess dark void can be ran as it can cover grass types too but the chance to miss is unfortunate and unreliable sometimes. I can relate to numerous times where i missed dark void during crucial times, sigh darkrai... Anyways, mega medicham appreciates webs being up as it can fire off ridiculously powerful STAB attacks. Hj kick is an insane nuke. Although bulky psychics tend to seem pretty annoying for mega medicham, such as mew, cress and so forth. Which is why bisharp makes for an excellent partner, as these two can spam their stab attacks to their desire, and bisharp threatens defoggers as it has defiant. So 1 defog could make it an easy gg for them. Bisharp breaks past the aforementioned bulky psychics, and doesnt mind a wisp from mew or a t wave from cresselia as lum allows it to absorb it for one time. So yea webs support + rocks + spore is helpful as smeargle can spore a particular threat or something that can defog the hazards away. Webs provides speed control which allows them to just click knock off / hj kick and such. Overall pretty simple core and also unfortunately mega sable and mega diancie easily blocks the hazards but...allowing webs to be bounced back onto your side means bisharp gets a free +2 boost. That's pretty scary honestly, as a +2 bisharp could mean that your most optimal play is to click x, and oh only one can hope to play mind games for so long.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

So the goal of this core is to sweep with CM Megabro. So that leaves me with one option. Breloom is manditory to get rid of dark types and Heatran which can sack itself to get a taunt off on Slowbro. It can also Bullet Seed vs. Water Absorb mons. When thinking about other premier taunt users I thought of Serperior, Gardevoir, Gengar. Gengar, Serperior, and Gardevoir are all susceptible to SpD Talonflame. It also has wisp to cripple bug types such as Heracross and Scizor and a notable threat in Breloom. These two mons support Slowbro by being able to rid of things that usually stop M-Slowbro. If Rest doesn't count as inducing sleep then idk. Core needs support for Electrics and Latios so something like Scarf Tar is good.

Last edited:

Breloom @ Fist Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Force Palm
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Wing Attack
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge

So this is a really good core with the basic idea of Fighting-type + Pursuit Trapper, a nice comparison core is Keldeo and Tyranitar. So in general Breloom dislikes the Latios, Latias, and Amoonguss due to them being able to soak up it's attacks with slight ease and force it out, it also dislikes faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Tornadus-T, and Talonflame since they all threaten it one way or another. So Mega Aerodactyl is an awesome partner for it since it can beat such a large assortment of it's checks with ease. Pursuit snipes Latios and Gengar, it naturally beats Talonflame and Tornadus, and it can overpower Amoonguss and other Grass-types over time in tandem with hazard damage and Wing Attack. Overall, this is a really good core for anyone looking to build around Mega Aerodactyl and offers a nice amount of flexibility when building.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Breloom @ Black Belt / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
(IVs: 29 HP (Life Orb only))
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost / Steel Wing

This isn't exactly an original core, but it is disgusting with regards to the sheer amount of pressure it puts onto the opponent. Good partners include Mega Diancie, Defog Latias (nice 'n' Healing Wish), Weavile, Garchomp and Lando-T. Basically, this is a core which utilises both setup spam and priority spam, and for what it does it makes it disgustingly hard for your opponent to withstand the pressure that it exerts. Breloom provides Spore support to aid setup for all three members of the core and provides Fighting-type coverage and a way to blast Rotom-W. Bisharp is the classic Breloom setup spam partiner, allowing for Fight/Dark coverage. Finally, Talonflame provides more priority spam and blasts through Tangrowth for Bisharp and Breloom while covering anything else that wants to absorb Spore with its typing. Steel Wing allows it to lure Mega Diancie, which is useful for this core because SpA-invested Mega Diancie can OHKO both Breloom and Bisharp with Moonblast. That said, Roost is better on any squads which are adequately prepared for Mega Diancie.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Talonflame
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

So the goal of this core is to sweep with CM Megabro. Originally I had Breloom, but I swapped it for Keldeo because another user reserved Breloom + Tyranitar. So that leaves me with one option. Which is to make Slowbro CM RestTalk. This allows it to have a sleep inducing move while not being able to be worn down by status as easily. Keldeo is manditory to get rid of dark types and Heatran which can sack itself to get a taunt off on Slowbro. It can also run HP grass to help vs. Water Absorb mons. When thinking about other premier taunt users I thought of Serperior, Gardevoir, Gengar. Gengar, Serperior, and Gardevoir are all susceptible to SpD Talonflame. It also has wisp to cripple bug types such as Heracross and Scizor and a notable threat in Breloom. These two mons support Slowbro by being able to rid of things that usually stop M-Slowbro. If Rest doesn't count as inducing sleep then idk. Core needs support for Electrics and Latios so something like Scarf Tar is good.
-Magic- is a fraud for not writing our agreed building condition specifically enough. The idea of the week was to put your opponent's Pokémon to sleep--not your own. As such you'll need to rework this a little so that it fits within the theme. Its fine to have Breloom>Keldeo because not only does it synergise better with Slowbro anyway but it directly supports it by providing Spore support, which can potentially give Slowbro free turns of setup, and it doesn't matter if everyone else submits Breloom because the nature of the theme means that there are generally kinda limited options for sleep inducers anyway so I wouldn't get too hung up on having the same 'mon as someone else.

Last edited:
Reserving Breloom+Bisharp+Talonflame

-Magic- is a fraud for not writing our agreed building condition specifically enough. The idea of the week was to put your opponent's Pokémon to sleep--not your own. As such you'll need to rework this a little so that it fits within the theme. Its fine to have Breloom>Keldeo because not only does it synergise better with Slowbro anyway but it directly supports it by providing Spore support, which can potentially give Slowbro free turns of setup, and it doesn't matter if everyone else submits Breloom because the nature of the theme means that there are generally kinda limited options for sleep inducers anyway so I wouldn't get too hung up on having the same 'mon as someone else.
I think I said I didn't want to overlap with another user because at first my idea was Slowbro + Breloom + Tyranitar which was kinda lame because another user used Breloom + Tyranitar.

Alright it's voting time and these are your choices!

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

this is a pretty fun regenerator core, it can deal with fighting type as mega lop, terrakion, and with fairy types as clefable, work very well on semistall/balance builds, but is fine also in full stall, i choose colbur berry on slowbro because can beat 1vs1 weavile having a chance to burn it with Scald, finally the Amoonguss set is standard.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate / Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish / Stealth Rock

One of Bronzong's biggest flaws is its lack of any offensive presence. While some common Bronzong switchins, such as Talonflame, Rotom-W, and Slowbro are vulnerable to Toxic, many other switchins, such as Heatran, Amoonguss, Rain Dance Manaphy, Bisharp and Skarmory, do not care about any offensive move of Bronzong or Toxic. With Hypnosis, Bronzong can cripple pokemon from both groups, making it much harder to safely switch into.
Landorus-T is not the best option for the other part of the core type-synergy wise. Landorus-T can check pokemon like Zard-X, Talonflame and Mold Breaker Exca, and Bronzong can check pokemon like opposing Landorus-T, Latios, and Mamoswine, but they still share common checks like Mega Slowbro, Mega Sableye, Manaphy, and Tangrowth.
The main idea behind this core, and behind many Hypnosis Bronzong + Setup Sweeper (Mega Pinsir, Feraligatr, Azu and more) for that matter, is that Bronzong can lure in common checks like Rotom-W, Skarmory and Slowbro with Hypnosis. If you play the sleep turns well, you can Swords Dance up against a pokemon that can't hurt Landorus-T, and when they go to Rotom-W / Skarm / Whatever, you can most of the time break through them.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Leech Seed / Rock Slide / any of the other 10000 filler options

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 186 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave / Calm Mind
- Slack Off

So this defensive core features phydef tangrowth which eats up hits from offensive grounds like no one's business. Its main goal is to pivot in on the ground, sleep it, annoy it with giga or filler, and switch out. Tran makes for a naturally great partner for tang as it handles a lot of the special attackers that give tang issues like latis and such thanks to its great typing while also checking a few physical attackers tangrowth struggles against like mega scizor and talonflame. Slowking is the final member of this core and it checks a lot of miscellaneous threats to those two but notably offensive waters like keldeo and volcanion. You can fool around with slowkings spread if you like. You can also run cm slowking if you want a wincon but thats up to you.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Magic Coat

Not too much to say about this but yes its a core with smeargle (puke). Smeargle is the sleep inducer as it carries spore, i guess dark void can be ran as it can cover grass types too but the chance to miss is unfortunate and unreliable sometimes. I can relate to numerous times where i missed dark void during crucial times, sigh darkrai... Anyways, mega medicham appreciates webs being up as it can fire off ridiculously powerful STAB attacks. Hj kick is an insane nuke. Although bulky psychics tend to seem pretty annoying for mega medicham, such as mew, cress and so forth. Which is why bisharp makes for an excellent partner, as these two can spam their stab attacks to their desire, and bisharp threatens defoggers as it has defiant. So 1 defog could make it an easy gg for them. Bisharp breaks past the aforementioned bulky psychics, and doesnt mind a wisp from mew or a t wave from cresselia as lum allows it to absorb it for one time. So yea webs support + rocks + spore is helpful as smeargle can spore a particular threat or something that can defog the hazards away. Webs provides speed control which allows them to just click knock off / hj kick and such. Overall pretty simple core and also unfortunately mega sable and mega diancie easily blocks the hazards but...allowing webs to be bounced back onto your side means bisharp gets a free +2 boost. That's pretty scary honestly, as a +2 bisharp could mean that your most optimal play is to click x, and oh only one can hope to play mind games for so long.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Talonflame
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

So the goal of this core is to sweep with CM Megabro. So that leaves me with one option. Breloom is manditory to get rid of dark types and Heatran which can sack itself to get a taunt off on Slowbro. It can also Bullet Seed vs. Water Absorb mons. When thinking about other premier taunt users I thought of Serperior, Gardevoir, Gengar. Gengar, Serperior, and Gardevoir are all susceptible to SpD Talonflame. It also has wisp to cripple bug types such as Heracross and Scizor and a notable threat in Breloom. These two mons support Slowbro by being able to rid of things that usually stop M-Slowbro. If Rest doesn't count as inducing sleep then idk. Core needs support for Electrics and Latios so something like Scarf Tar is good.

Breloom @ Fist Plate
Adamant Nature
- Force Palm
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Wing Attack
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge

So this is a really good core with the basic idea of Fighting-type + Pursuit Trapper, a nice comparison core is Keldeo and Tyranitar. So in general Breloom dislikes the Latios, Latias, and Amoonguss due to them being able to soak up it's attacks with slight ease and force it out, it also dislikes faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Tornadus-T, and Talonflame since they all threaten it one way or another. So Mega Aerodactyl is an awesome partner for it since it can beat such a large assortment of it's checks with ease. Pursuit snipes Latios and Gengar, it naturally beats Talonflame and Tornadus, and it can overpower Amoonguss and other Grass-types over time in tandem with hazard damage and Wing Attack. Overall, this is a really good core for anyone looking to build around Mega Aerodactyl and offers a nice amount of flexibility when building.

Breloom @ Black Belt / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
(IVs: 29 HP (Life Orb only))
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost / Steel Wing

This isn't exactly an original core, but it is disgusting with regards to the sheer amount of pressure it puts onto the opponent. Good partners include Mega Diancie, Defog Latias (nice 'n' Healing Wish), Weavile, Garchomp and Lando-T. Basically, this is a core which utilises both setup spam and priority spam, and for what it does it makes it disgustingly hard for your opponent to withstand the pressure that it exerts. Breloom provides Spore support to aid setup for all three members of the core and provides Fighting-type coverage and a way to blast Rotom-W. Bisharp is the classic Breloom setup spam partiner, allowing for Fight/Dark coverage. Finally, Talonflame provides more priority spam and blasts through Tangrowth for Bisharp and Breloom while covering anything else that wants to absorb Spore with its typing. Steel Wing allows it to lure Mega Diancie, which is useful for this core because SpA-invested Mega Diancie can OHKO both Breloom and Bisharp with Moonblast. That said, Roost is better on any squads which are adequately prepared for Mega Diancie.

You may vote for two cores

My Vote:
Core 7 & 3

Alright, so voting is over and our winners are HailFall with their Slowking + Tangrowth + Heatran core and -Magic- with his Mega Aerodactyl + Breloom core due to a tie!

Core 1: 2
Core 2:
Core 3: 5
Core 4: 1
Core 5: 1
Core 6: 5
Core 7: 2

Week 18
Doctor in the House

Restrictions: At least 1 teammate must have a move that has a >30% to poison the target. This includes Toxic.

So to continue of status condition series, it's time for Poison to take the stage! We hope to receive quite a few cores since nearly every Pokemon can learn Toxic!

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
reserving Toxic mega Lopunny + specs Keldeo

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Return
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Standard weaken common checks and sweep/punch holes. Toxic for Hippo, Lando, Slowbro and the like. Garchomp weakens Clefable, Skarmory and the aforementioned Pokemon. Sub Salac can be used over SD Orb if you want Garchomp to be the wincon. You could also mix it up and use PuP Lop with Toxic+Rocks Chomper but PuP Lopunny hasn't really impressed me in the past. Really fun core for HO.

Last edited:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

So this is a fun core ive been testing thats a pain in the arse for stall, and is very fun to pivot around against bulky HO/Balanced teams. Gengar spreads status with either its powerful Sludge Bomb and criples or annoys a lot of foes with Will-O-Wisp ; Knock Off is an interesting option ive been running over Taunt and is not a bad option. First, (spoilers) it cripples defensive mons by removing their item, and above all fucks up Chansey with Taunt and allows for a free teammate switch. Heatran is cool trapper that is designed to take on more offensive-inclined and balance teams, since Magma storm is very powerful, and lures a lot of its checks. Earth Power nails opposite Heatrans and is good against Mega Diancies. Toxic cripples other defensive mons that Heatran attracts, especially bulky water types. Taunt ensures that Heatran fucks up certain mons it has traped, such as our fellow S rank Clefable, is an option to prevent Spikes/Stealth Rock and Defog.

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers / Soft Sand
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

This is a combo I played with during the most recent round of suspect testing. From my experience there, Sub + Toxic Jira does a good job drawing in and wearing down several of Lando-T's checks. For example, Rotom-W often tries to come in on Jira only to end up poisoned. Between poison and having its Leftovers removed by Lando-T's Knock Off, Rotom-W tends to get worn down very quickly, especially with SR up. Once this is done, double dance Lando-T is able to break through one of its biggest obstacles more easily. Aside from poisoning Rotom-W, Jira can also status Pokemon like Keld, who resists everything in its arsenal. Wearing down Keld via poison makes it easier to put it in range for Lando-T after, say, a RP. For similar reasons, Jira's ability to poison other things like Quag, Hippo, Slowbro, and opposing Lando-T is also appreciated by the core's own therian.

Besides the above, there are a few other ways these two work together. Jira's biggest obstacle is Tran, who Lando-T threatens nicely. Exca and Chomp are also annoying, and Lando-T's ground immunity helps greatly here. As mentioned with the Rotom-W example earlier, Lando-T can also Knock Off items from various defensive Pokemon (Skarm, Hippo, Slowbro, and so on). Removing potential Rocky Helmet's from some defensive Pokemon is also beneficial for Jira. All of this makes them easier for Jirachi to break through on its own. This works both ways, with Jira also being to wear things down for Lando-T as touched upon earlier. Because Lando-T can't always realistically set up both a SD and RP, certain Pokemon like Latios are still annoying depending on whether you're +2 in speed or attack. Jira's ability to check Latios and other Pokemon like Mega Latias, Kyu-B, and defensive grass types like Ferro thus proves useful.

Overall, these two are able to wear down certain obstacles for one another through several means, all while also being able to check a few important threats for each other. While known, the sets here aren't the most commonly used on Jira and Lando-T. They still remain effective however and make for a fun tag team.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Bisharp @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly / Lonely Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Grass Knot
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure / Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

I appologise for another rather unoriginal core; I am posting this one on the basis that the core usually runs Fire Blast, Endure or something similar over Toxic, and I have slashed Aerial Ace Weavile and Grass Knot Bisharp on the basis that I have used both on darkspam to good success in the past. TankChomp makes for a very good partner to darkspam. It provides SR support, checks Mega Scizor, Lopunny, Talon (BEWARE WISP), Breloom and opposing Bisharp is super useful. It baits out Mega Slowbro and nails it with Toxic, preventing it from taking a dump on the core with its crisp KOff psuedo-resistance and resistance to both Ice- and Steel-, as well as being able to trade status with SpD Talonflame to pressure it later on and help wear down Unaware Clefable and Quagsire, and it also puts Lop in range of boosted Sucker Punch simply by existing. As for darkspam, it is just a case of overloading checks with setup spam and similar answers. Weavile pressures Garchomp etc. who give Bisharp headaches, and in exchange Bisharp is able to deal better with scarfers using Sucker Punch./

Last edited:

Martin

I've just realised we both forgot about this thread this week. Sorry about that! Depending on how many votes we get voting may be extended until Thursday and next week shortened, but w/e it's not too big a deal.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Return
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Standard weaken common checks and sweep/punch holes. Toxic for Hippo, Lando, Slowbro and the like. Garchomp weakens Clefable, Skarmory and the aforementioned Pokemon. Sub Salac can be used over SD Orb if you want Garchomp to be the wincon. You could also mix it up and use PuP Lop with Toxic+Rocks Chomper but PuP Lopunny hasn't really impressed me in the past. Really fun core for HO.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Simple volt-turn core that you commonly see. They work well together as they can check most physical attackers in OU pretty damn well in tandem with each other. Intimidate helps them sponge physical hits quite easier without worrying too much. Rotom wash resists ice, and water while it is able to deal with bulky grounds like hippo whom lando t cant really touch outside of toxic. But yea the core is pretty self explanatory.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

So this is a fun core ive been testing thats a pain in the arse for stall, and is very fun to pivot around against bulky HO/Balanced teams. Gengar spreads status with either its powerful Sludge Bomb and criples or annoys a lot of foes with Will-O-Wisp ; Knock Off is an interesting option ive been running over Taunt and is not a bad option. First, (spoilers) it cripples defensive mons by removing their item, and above all fucks up Chansey with Taunt and allows for a free teammate switch. Heatran is cool trapper that is designed to take on more offensive-inclined and balance teams, since Magma storm is very powerful, and lures a lot of its checks. Earth Power nails opposite Heatrans and is good against Mega Diancies. Toxic cripples other defensive mons that Heatran attracts, especially bulky water types. Taunt ensures that Heatran fucks up certain mons it has traped, such as our fellow S rank Clefable, is an option to prevent Spikes/Stealth Rock and Defog.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers / Soft Sand
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

This is a combo I played with during the most recent round of suspect testing. From my experience there, Sub + Toxic Jira does a good job drawing in and wearing down several of Lando-T's checks. For example, Rotom-W often tries to come in on Jira only to end up poisoned. Between poison and having its Leftovers removed by Lando-T's Knock Off, Rotom-W tends to get worn down very quickly, especially with SR up. Once this is done, double dance Lando-T is able to break through one of its biggest obstacles more easily. Aside from poisoning Rotom-W, Jira can also status Pokemon like Keld, who resists everything in its arsenal. Wearing down Keld via poison makes it easier to put it in range for Lando-T after, say, a RP. For similar reasons, Jira's ability to poison other things like Quag, Hippo, Slowbro, and opposing Lando-T is also appreciated by the core's own therian.

Besides the above, there are a few other ways these two work together. Jira's biggest obstacle is Tran, who Lando-T threatens nicely. Exca and Chomp are also annoying, and Lando-T's ground immunity helps greatly here. As mentioned with the Rotom-W example earlier, Lando-T can also Knock Off items from various defensive Pokemon (Skarm, Hippo, Slowbro, and so on). Removing potential Rocky Helmet's from some defensive Pokemon is also beneficial for Jira. All of this makes them easier for Jirachi to break through on its own. This works both ways, with Jira also being to wear things down for Lando-T as touched upon earlier. Because Lando-T can't always realistically set up both a SD and RP, certain Pokemon like Latios are still annoying depending on whether you're +2 in speed or attack. Jira's ability to check Latios and other Pokemon like Mega Latias, Kyu-B, and defensive grass types like Ferro thus proves useful.

Overall, these two are able to wear down certain obstacles for one another through several means, all while also being able to check a few important threats for each other. While known, the sets here aren't the most commonly used on Jira and Lando-T. They still remain effective however and make for a fun tag team.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Bisharp @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly / Lonely Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Grass Knot
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure / Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

I appologise for another rather unoriginal core; I am posting this one on the basis that the core usually runs Fire Blast, Endure or something similar over Toxic, and I have slashed Aerial Ace Weavile and Grass Knot Bisharp on the basis that I have used both on darkspam to good success in the past. TankChomp makes for a very good partner to darkspam. It provides SR support, checks Mega Scizor, Lopunny, Talon (BEWARE WISP), Breloom and opposing Bisharp is super useful. It baits out Mega Slowbro and nails it with Toxic, preventing it from taking a dump on the core with its crisp KOff psuedo-resistance and resistance to both Ice- and Steel-, as well as being able to trade status with SpD Talonflame to pressure it later on and help wear down Unaware Clefable and Quagsire, and it also puts Lop in range of boosted Sucker Punch simply by existing. As for darkspam, it is just a case of overloading checks with setup spam and similar answers. Weavile pressures Garchomp etc. who give Bisharp headaches, and in exchange Bisharp is able to deal better with scarfers using Sucker Punch.
There was low participation this week, so you can vote for up to 1 core. It'll close on Wednesday or Thursday evening BST depending on how many votes we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)