Project ORAS PU Teambuilding Competition (See post #362)

Machoker wins! Your next core is:

The latest addition to the tier, the flaming chicken himself. He Protects! He Substitutes! He speedpasses! But he also attacks! He's a special attacker! A physical attacker! Hell, even a mixed attacker! Players of PU, please give Combusken a warm welcome to the tier!

In all seriousness, I want to see what people come up with. We're in a period of time where we don't know Combusken's best set yet, and that's exciting! Also, sorry about the delay. I'll be giving more time on this week because 1) Combusken is new (duh) and 2) it isn't usable on ladder yet. Take your time!

Last edited:

Here is a cool team I created featured around one of the new additions to the tier Combusken. I decided to go with the LO two attacks Baton Pass set because it has a great ability to sweep weakened teams and can also offer speed support for the rest of the team. Next I realised this was walled by a couple of things, mainly Grumpig and Altaria so I added Dusknoir who has the ability to trap Grumpig with Pursuit and it has Ice Punch to threaten Altaria. Next I added Lumineon as a way to counter-act Aqua Jet's and Scalds which threaten the core a lot. Altaria is the next mon as this gives me a way to check a lot of pokemon like Monferno, Leafeon and Cacturne which can be an issue. Golem stands in as my Stealth Rocker and Normal resist which also helps me with Electric types. Lastly Rotom-F is actually very important to the team because it performs numerous roles like being able to lure in Grumpig so I can trap it, threatens Defoggers like Vullaby and can revenge kill pretty well with it's Choice Scarf. If you want another reason to try the team, the colour synergy is also top dollar.

Combusken (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Focus Blast

Dusknoir (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- U-turn

Altaria @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Ignore the Fact that Taskr and I have three of the same Mons.

I spent almost 5 hours on this round's team and this is the best I could do. It's a balanced offensive team featured around Chicken pass and whatever wants to receive the boost which is most times Bouffalant. I decided to go with Wide Lens two attacks specifically because Combusken needs to be able to snag a kill every once and awhile and Focus blast has a tendency to miss a lot. I next added Weakness Policy Golem to set up rocks and perhaps weaken the opponent's team quite a bit. I then added Lumineon for Defog support and it has good synergy with both Golem And Combusken as it absorbs water type attacks with its ability Storm Drain. Sap Sipper Bouffalant was my next option due it its ability to be immune to grass types. Bouffalant can do some truly SPECTACULAR things with a couple speed boosts passed to it. Next I wanted a revenge killer because every balanced team needs someone to clean up. With an overwhelming ground weakness and basically no switchins I decided to go with Offensive Tangela as it covers water types, ground types, and rock types. I usually lead with either Electrode or Golem just to be safe. Although I prefer Golem for mid game usage.

Combusken (M) @ Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Golem (M) @ Weakness Policy
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Lumineon (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- U-turn

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam

Tangela (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:

So this was a team I slapped together the day Combusken dropped. I wanted to make a more immaculate squad for this comp, but I'm not having much fun with busken in general. So I'll just post this one.

Like the other posters, I wanted to experiment with speed pass without using the dedicated chicken pass set. Combusken remains an offensive threat with its life orb boosted stab moves, with baton pass you can get up out and take the speed with you. Rotom-Frost is the first potential recipient, switching in on earthquakes or flying type moves. It can enjoy the high speed tier even after tricking away its item. The sub split variant is also very fun in the role. The main reason Metang is stealth rocker of choice is for pursuit trapping Grumpig. The whole team kinda hates it. It still enjoys passed speed (although it needs much more than one boost to out speed anything). Muk is choice banded, it helps lure steel types to be weakened for frostom and lapras with its fire punch, and causes havoc in general. Vibrava completes the defensive core, is currently one of the most effective hazard removers in the tier, and although does not have much offensive presence it disrupts your opponents plans with some speed boosts. Now Lapras is the main pokemon to play around with boosts. Water stab plus freeze dry is the probably the best duel stab in this tier, with toxic for everything it can't hit. For this set I use mystic water to bluff specs*.

Not a perfect team but very fun experimentation with one of pu's newest friends! :]

Combusken @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Muk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Lapras @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump

Last edited:
Vote! Your options are:

Here is a cool team I created featured around one of the new additions to the tier Combusken. I decided to go with the LO two attacks Baton Pass set because it has a great ability to sweep weakened teams and can also offer speed support for the rest of the team. Next I realised this was walled by a couple of things, mainly Grumpig and Altaria so I added Dusknoir who has the ability to trap Grumpig with Pursuit and it has Ice Punch to threaten Altaria. Next I added Lumineon as a way to counter-act Aqua Jet's and Scalds which threaten the core a lot. Altaria is the next mon as this gives me a way to check a lot of pokemon like Monferno, Leafeon and Cacturne which can be an issue. Golem stands in as my Stealth Rocker and Normal resist which also helps me with Electric types. Lastly Rotom-F is actually very important to the team because it performs numerous roles like being able to lure in Grumpig so I can trap it, threatens Defoggers like Vullaby and can revenge kill pretty well with it's Choice Scarf. If you want another reason to try the team, the colour synergy is also top dollar.

Combusken (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Focus Blast

Dusknoir (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- U-turn

Altaria @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt

Ignore the Fact that Taskr and I have three of the same Mons.

I spent almost 5 hours on this round's team and this is the best I could do. It's a balanced offensive team featured around Chicken pass and whatever wants to receive the boost which is most times Bouffalant. I decided to go with Wide Lens two attacks specifically because Combusken needs to be able to snag a kill every once and awhile and Focus blast has a tendency to miss a lot. I next added Weakness Policy Golem to set up rocks and perhaps weaken the opponent's team quite a bit. I then added Lumineon for Defog support and it has good synergy with both Golem And Combusken as it absorbs water type attacks with its ability Storm Drain. Sap Sipper Bouffalant was my next option due it its ability to be immune to grass types. Bouffalant can do some truly SPECTACULAR things with a couple speed boosts passed to it. Next I wanted a revenge killer because every balanced team needs someone to clean up. With an overwhelming ground weakness and basically no switchins I decided to go with Offensive Tangela as it covers water types, ground types, and rock types. I usually lead with either Electrode or Golem just to be safe. Although I prefer Golem for mid game usage.

Combusken (M) @ Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Golem (M) @ Weakness Policy
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Lumineon (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- U-turn

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam

Tangela (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

So this was a team I slapped together the day Combusken dropped. I wanted to make a more immaculate squad for this comp, but I'm not having much fun with busken in general. So I'll just post this one.

Like the other posters, I wanted to experiment with speed pass without using the dedicated chicken pass set. Combusken remains an offensive threat with its life orb boosted stab moves, with baton pass you can get up out and take the speed with you. Rotom-Frost is the first potential recipient, switching in on earthquakes or flying type moves. It can enjoy the high speed tier even after tricking away its item. The sub split variant is also very fun in the role. The main reason Metang is stealth rocker of choice is for pursuit trapping Grumpig. The whole team kinda hates it. It still enjoys passed speed (although it needs much more than one boost to out speed anything). Muk is choice banded, it helps lure steel types to be weakened for frostom and lapras with its fire punch, and causes havoc in general. Vibrava completes the defensive core, is currently one of the most effective hazard removers in the tier, and although does not have much offensive presence it disrupts your opponents plans with some speed boosts. Now Lapras is the main pokemon to play around with boosts. Water stab plus freeze dry is the probably the best duel stab in this tier, with toxic for everything it can't hit. For this set I use mystic water to bluff scarf.

Not a perfect team but very fun experimentation with one of pu's newest friends! :]

Combusken @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Muk @ Choice Band
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Lapras @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
One vote this week. I had hoped to get another team or two, but oh well.

Plans wins!
Your core for this week is:
+
/
/

I was going to be a lazy asshole and say that there was no core this week, just build whatever, but thankfully the PU room was able to set me on the right path. Grass spam! Build around Trevenant+another good grass-type of your choice.

Last edited:

Grass Spam is actually pretty cool and I've tried to use it as effectively as possible with this team. I started out with the core of Choice Band Trevenant and SD Jumpluff, Jumpluff is something I feel is a little underrated right now as a lot of teams rely on Golem as their sole Flying resist and SD can make Jumpluff pretty effective at sweeping weakened teams. Trevenant is the mon that weakens those teams, with the right prediction Trevenant is able to 2HKO a lot of Jumpluff's counters. For example, Earthquake is able to 2HKO Mawile whilst Shadow Claw or EQ 2HKO's Metang and also Rock Silde is able to 2HKO Vullaby after Stealth Rock. After I decided on the core I added in Chinchou who is a great partner to these two pokemon giving a slow volt switch for Trevenant and being able to switch in a lot of the pokemon that can revenge kill Jumpluff including Zebstrika, Rotom-F and Floatzel. After that I knew I needed another ground resist as I couldn't rely on my grass types to switch in on Golem so I added Vibrava. Vibrava is another mon with a slow U-turn and it also gives my jumpluff some Defog support. After that I added Probopass as my Normal Resist and Stealth Rocker because trapping Steel types including Bronzor because of Smack Down was really nice for Jumpluff and also my next mon which is Muk. Muk is a great check for opposing grass types like Tangela who Jumpluff can't muscle past and also gives the team another reliable win condition that can deal with a lot of special attackers that Chinchou can't deal with like Specs Lapras and Roselia. Overall, I thought the idea of CroMuk+Grass Spam was pretty cool. I'd like to fit a faster revenge killer than Jumpluff in this team but options were pretty limited and the teams core can deal with all the mons that outspeed Jumpluff anyway.

Edit: After some thought I realised I didn't really need Chinchou because Muk can take on pretty much everything that Chinchou did so I've decided to replace Chinchou with Zebstrika since it still has the Volt Switch immunity and also gives be a better revenge killer than Jumpluff.

Trevenant @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunderbolt

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 176 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock

Muk @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab

Last edited:
Haven't built a team for comp in weeks, but I gave it another shot, so here is my rendition of a grass spam team

Grassy Webs Offense

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Bug Buzz

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Trevenant @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 32 Def / 220 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
So I pretty much just had this idea pop into my head that made me want to include Sticky Webs on a Grass Spam team; after all Leavanny only helped this team archetype. I wanted 2 solid grass mons that can pull their own, and quite frankly, I didn't feel like using Leafeon, nor did I want to use Jumpluff, two good grasses that unfortunately can't touch most Steels and can be quite predictable at times. Instead, I wanted to explore Simisage a bit more, seeing as webs support would help it outspeed a lot of offensive mons that normally check it in Floatzel, Scarf Mr. Mime, Rapidash, etc. In testing, Simisage was a bit hit or miss - some games it shined by heavily damaging or killing many mons, but other games it was sort of sacked as fodder just to weaken a Muk or Roselia. Trevenant was required on this build, and so ironically it unintentionally acts as a "spinblocker" (that loses to almost every spinner). But regardless, CB Trev hits incredibly hard, 2HKOing pretty much the entire unresisted tier. I explored a SubHoneClaws set, as well as a non Choiced set, but none of them were as consistent as CB's power and reliability as a nuke button, the latter which weakens the likes of Tangela, Quilladin, Mawile and Vullaby to help the other grasses out. Leavanny was added as Sticky Web setter, and Bug Buzz was chosen to be the last move purely because Leavanny on this team is not always played as a suicide lead, and Bug Buzz can help KO some other threats late game such as Leafeon, Cacturne, etc.

Grumpig was mandatory on this build due to the fact that Combusken nearly 6-0s with out it. Sub Calm Mind was chosen here as a win condition in the mid to late game; Grumpig also appreciates being able to outspeed opposing threats with Sticky Web down. Offensive Mawile with rocks (suggested by ManOfMany), also was chosen as an offensive rocker; Jolly is to outspeed Jolly Golems. Zeb was the last mon because speed and electric immunity is always nice to have on offense.

This team isn't amazing. It has an average win loss ratio and is inconsistent most of the time due to the fact that having three Grasses on the team really messes with the synergy of the composition of the team. However, it's fun when it works and, I learned quite a bit while building with Trevenant. I'm never mad at it, i'm just dissapointed.

Semi relevant replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-490496354

Last edited:

DnB

#DnB4608, its way easier on discord :>
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Grass Spam looks really threating tbh lol
I chose Servine as my partner for Trev, because it's a really good lategame cleaner, after Trev and Pawniard weakened the opposing team.
While playing around with Trev, I noticed, that it almost always gets a kill, when predicted correctly, so I tried to support this aspect.
The Pawniard set may look weird, but 4 Attacks works really well, no one expects Pursuit these days, I got so many surprise kills with it. Golem and Lumineon build the defensive core, being able to take some hits and managing hazards. Golem is also my answer to Muk, because EQ Trev isn't enough to deal with this huge threat. Lumineon spreads Status and builds a Voltturn Core with Rotom, so I'm able to bring in Trev/Servine/Pawn more easily. Rotom-Frost is just standard Scarf with Trick and acts as my Revenge Killer. Servine is also scarfed, I used sub before, but it didn't perform as good as I wanted it too. No one expects Scarf these days, especially not, when the opponent has seen Scarf Rotom. Killed way to many Floatzels that tried to revenge me, lol.
I also chose Horn Leech on Trev over Rock Slide. I never found Rock Slide that usefull, Horn Leech gives me the ability to heal back up, or I fake the opponent, that I dont use Wood Hammer and the next time he switches something in, I just kill him~
Also, Trev can be used as a switch in for many different mons like opposing Golems, Horn Leech gives me a way to recover back its HP and make it even harder to kill.

Trevenant @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Servine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 204 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Blast

Lumineon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Last edited:
I can honestly say I was going to post a team, until I tested it versus Slowbroth and lost to Smack Down Probopass (beat my Bronzor, stopping my rocks, although in retrospect that was a bad idea to not get them up.) That kinda turned me off. Also, it shared 4/6 members (Trev, Servine, Lumi, Rotom-F) as DnB, who appears to have a much better team, so I scrapped it. Anyway, vote!

Grass Spam is actually pretty cool and I've tried to use it as effectively as possible with this team. I started out with the core of Choice Band Trevenant and SD Jumpluff, Jumpluff is something I feel is a little underrated right now as a lot of teams rely on Golem as their sole Flying resist and SD can make Jumpluff pretty effective at sweeping weakened teams. Trevenant is the mon that weakens those teams, with the right prediction Trevenant is able to 2HKO a lot of Jumpluff's counters. For example, Earthquake is able to 2HKO Mawile whilst Shadow Claw or EQ 2HKO's Metang and also Rock Silde is able to 2HKO Vullaby after Stealth Rock. After I decided on the core I added in Chinchou who is a great partner to these two pokemon giving a slow volt switch for Trevenant and being able to switch in a lot of the pokemon that can revenge kill Jumpluff including Zebstrika, Rotom-F and Floatzel. After that I knew I needed another ground resist as I couldn't rely on my grass types to switch in on Golem so I added Vibrava. Vibrava is another mon with a slow U-turn and it also gives my jumpluff some Defog support. After that I added Probopass as my Normal Resist and Stealth Rocker because trapping Steel types including Bronzor because of Smack Down was really nice for Jumpluff and also my next mon which is Muk. Muk is a great check for opposing grass types like Tangela who Jumpluff can't muscle past and also gives the team another reliable win condition that can deal with a lot of special attackers that Chinchou can't deal with like Specs Lapras and Roselia. Overall, I thought the idea of CroMuk+Grass Spam was pretty cool. I'd like to fit a faster revenge killer than Jumpluff in this team but options were pretty limited and the teams core can deal with all the mons that outspeed Jumpluff anyway.

Edit: After some thought I realised I didn't really need Chinchou because Muk can take on pretty much everything that Chinchou did so I've decided to replace Chinchou with Zebstrika since it still has the Volt Switch immunity and also gives be a better revenge killer than Jumpluff.

Trevenant @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunderbolt

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 176 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock

Muk @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab
Haven't built a team for comp in weeks, but I gave it another shot, so here is my rendition of a grass spam team

Grassy Webs Offense

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
Naive Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Bug Buzz

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Trevenant @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 32 Def / 220 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
So I pretty much just had this idea pop into my head that made me want to include Sticky Webs on a Grass Spam team; after all Leavanny only helped this team archetype. I wanted 2 solid grass mons that can pull their own, and quite frankly, I didn't feel like using Leafeon, nor did I want to use Jumpluff, two good grasses that unfortunately can't touch most Steels and can be quite predictable at times. Instead, I wanted to explore Simisage a bit more, seeing as webs support would help it outspeed a lot of offensive mons that normally check it in Floatzel, Scarf Mr. Mime, Rapidash, etc. In testing, Simisage was a bit hit or miss - some games it shined by heavily damaging or killing many mons, but other games it was sort of sacked as fodder just to weaken a Muk or Roselia. Trevenant was required on this build, and so ironically it unintentionally acts as a "spinblocker" (that loses to almost every spinner). But regardless, CB Trev hits incredibly hard, 2HKOing pretty much the entire unresisted tier. I explored a SubHoneClaws set, as well as a non Choiced set, but none of them were as consistent as CB's power and reliability as a nuke button, the latter which weakens the likes of Tangela, Quilladin, Mawile and Vullaby to help the other grasses out. Leavanny was added as Sticky Web setter, and Bug Buzz was chosen to be the last move purely because Leavanny on this team is not always played as a suicide lead, and Bug Buzz can help KO some other threats late game such as Leafeon, Cacturne, etc.

Grumpig was mandatory on this build due to the fact that Combusken nearly 6-0s with out it. Sub Calm Mind was chosen here as a win condition in the mid to late game; Grumpig also appreciates being able to outspeed opposing threats with Sticky Web down. Offensive Mawile with rocks (suggested by ManOfMany), also was chosen as an offensive rocker; Jolly is to outspeed Jolly Golems. Zeb was the last mon because speed and electric immunity is always nice to have on offense.

This team isn't amazing. It has an average win loss ratio and is inconsistent most of the time due to the fact that having three Grasses on the team really messes with the synergy of the composition of the team. However, it's fun when it works and, I learned quite a bit while building with Trevenant. I'm never mad at it, i'm just dissapointed.

Semi relevant replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-490496354

Grass Spam looks really threating tbh lol
I chose Servine as my partner for Trev, because it's a really good lategame cleaner, after Trev and Pawniard weakened the opposing team.
While playing around with Trev, I noticed, that it almost always gets a kill, when predicted correctly, so I tried to support this aspect.
The Pawniard set may look weird, but 4 Attacks works really well, no one expects Pursuit these days, I got so many surprise kills with it. Golem and Lumineon build the defensive core, being able to take some hits and managing hazards. Golem is also my answer to Muk, because EQ Trev isn't enough to deal with this huge threat. Lumineon spreads Status and builds a Voltturn Core with Rotom, so I'm able to bring in Trev/Servine/Pawn more easily. Rotom-Frost is just standard Scarf with Trick and acts as my Revenge Killer. Servine is also scarfed, I used sub before, but it didn't perform as good as I wanted it too. No one expects Scarf these days, especially not, when the opponent has seen Scarf Rotom. Killed way to many Floatzels that tried to revenge me, lol.
I also chose Horn Leech on Trev over Rock Slide. I never found Rock Slide that usefull, Horn Leech gives me the ability to heal back up, or I fake the opponent, that I dont use Wood Hammer and the next time he switches something in, I just kill him~
Also, Trev can be used as a switch in for many different mons like opposing Golems, Horn Leech gives me a way to recover back its HP and make it even harder to kill.

Trevenant @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Servine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 204 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Blast

Lumineon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)