Project OU Player of the week #38: Denissss

Status
Not open for further replies.

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Late game cleaner Scolipede y/n? (gets slidequake coverage)
yes ofc why not?

Dumbest thing you've seen someone use against you in a game of mons?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-139039637

Heist or Ojama in Classic?
McM :(

Most underrated and overrated lower tier mon(s) in OU?
underrated: Cloyster (only Get Backer seems to like it), overrated: Gothitelle (I've been told it is still being used on the ladder).

Hey what's up Denis. I enjoyed talking with you briefly on PS awhile back about metagame discussions it was quite enjoyable and nice to see you here :toast:.
meeting people like you and the OLT are the only reasons why I would ever join the PS ever again (kind of miss the days when I had a lot of time available). I think we should talk more often!

Do you believe your original 6th Gen BP was the pinnacle of BP with its full limitations around or do you believe there was still more to explore? For example I remember yourself using Heart Swap Smeargle to counter other BP teams at the time, cool stuff.
I was chatting with Stathakis another day and he wanted to help me to improve my DPP and BW BP chains, and suggested me to include Dual Screens somewhere to help setting up the first boosts. I think it would be definitely an improvement over the full chains I had made. Idk maybe something like a Screens Azelf + 5 passers or Whimsicott + Azelf + 4 passers could be interesting, but since I told him about the complex ban I had in mind, he kind of got pretty sad and we stopped thinking about it (it kind of broke my heart, but I think there was nothing I could have done at this point xD). At some point I had to use Heart Swap Smeargle because I was literally facing more BP teams than regular teams on the ladder, so I had to do something unusual in order to get free points from those players as well.

What are your thoughts on the suspect process? The good, the bad, what works, what doesn't? Would be nice to gauge some ideas as I know everyone has their own opinions on certain matters.
Since I’ve only seen the Gen 6 suspect process, I am only going to talk about this generation specifically. Basically I can’t complain about any suspect test result we had so far: Aegislash, Mega Mawile, Greninja, Landorus-I were definitely too good and they were unhealthy for the metagame since they were effective against all play styles and they had very few counters, and Mega Metagross, a Pokemon that can easily be walled by several mons and weak to common attacking types (such as fire, dark and ground) wasn't banned at all.

In my opinion, the metagame has come to the point that there isn't anything that I consider "OP" (even Baton Pass was nerfed). People complain about Hoopa and Manaphy, when in reality you have access to many viable options in order to deal with them. It is true they make bulky teams less viable, but does it mean they deserve to be banned? I think it is all about personal preference at this point (we had even agreed on this point when we were talking at that day). But because Smogon is an internet community, I think tiering changes or suspect tests proposals shouldn't be exclusive to the Tier Leaders, but instead more people should take part in these discussions. I have a pretty weird proposal: twice in a year, the Council should make like an "admission test" to get people for this group responsible to discuss tiering changes. This admission test should select people who have enough metagame and tiering process knowledge. Once a person is admitted into this group, he/she would have permanent permission to vote, propose and discuss metagame changes. Only laddering to get reqs doesn't prove someone has metagame knowledge to vote wisely in a suspect test (so yeah even though all suspect tests results were reasonable, we should avoid the risk of a bad result to be taken instead of a good one - imagine yourself if something like Aegislash, Mega Mawile or Greninja was still allowed in the tier!).

Proposal for this admission test:

Step 1: one month for laddering reqs, so we can pick people with basic battling skills.
Step 2, interview: the OU council has to take lots of people they trust to make them as interviewers, so they ask the people who have been approved in step one some basic questions regarding tiering process and metagame knowledge.
step 3: the interviewer plays against the person who was approved in both steps 1 and 2. Once a person is approved in the admission test, he/she could earn a badge or something similar. The "interviewers" should also have a badge/banner so people can identify and look for them.

I know I'm being crazy again, but this is just what I brainstormed a short while ago. Feel free to discuss these weird ideas with me haha

Are you still trying to get BP to work in Doubles? :P
yes, I even managed to beat my friend TGMD using it :]

Last edited:
Hey, I've always been impressed by the way you always managed to perform with Baton Pass over the clause.

Did you ever get affected by insults? Is there a point you don't care anymore of what people are saying? Did you ever click the "Ignore Opponent" button at the start of a battle just because you knew what would happen 10 turns later?

Did you ever got regrets for using Baton Pass?

Thought on Lopunny and how it affects the metagame?

If Clefable were suspected, what would you vote and why?

dEnIsSsS

1)What is the most cancerous team you can think of that's currently legal in OU, for any generation?

2) If you don't feel like writing all of that (I'd be too lazy to :p), what Pokemon and moveset do you think would be the most cancerous?

3)I'm interested to see a BP enthusiast's take on what they feel is truly irritating to deal with and wish didn't exist (not that I feel that way about BP, I never have).

4) Can you explain your relationship with Archie? Not sure if its some obsession or your... Waifu? Man-fu? Idk.
1) SwagPlay in BW
2) Sableye: Swagger, foul play, sub and recover.
3) Calm Mind/Thunder Wave/Clefable/Heatran/Ferrothorn/Tornadus-T/Mega Alakazam.
4) .

1)What do you think is the best mon below B rank on the vr thread?

2) Do you like Hoopa U

3) Thoughts on new possible suspects in policy review?
1) Crawdaunt
2) I think it is a very cool Pokemon because of its insane offensive stats and movepool. I definitely like it :*
3) Hoopa and manaphy aren't broken and they don't deserve to be banned. Gothitelle, on the other hand is a cancerous Pokemon and it is very annoying on the ladder, but I also don't think it is relevant in the tournament scene, so I don't care about it.

I didn't find my name in this thread...so sad

Who is the worst italian player?
Who is the most beautiful italian player?
What is agar.io professional ?
Sorry for forgetting you :* You are the worst player ever, but at least you are fucking handsome, and I'm jealous :*
agar.io is a very cool and addictive game :]

Hey, I've always been impressed by the way you always managed to perform with Baton Pass over the clause.
Hi, thank you

Did you ever get affected by insults? Is there a point you don't care anymore of what people are saying? Did you ever click the "Ignore Opponent" button at the start of a battle just because you knew what would happen 10 turns later?
When I was a kid, I was very sensitive and the insults made me feel bad, but once I came to PS I was already pretty old (like 21?), so all I did was to enjoy making people rage over and over again. Seriously there is nothing better to do on internet than trolling. But now I'm done with all this shit (laddering, trolling etc), I'm definitely way too old for these things.

Did you ever got regrets for using Baton Pass?
Never did

Thought on Lopunny and how it affects the metagame?
Lopunny is a pretty weird Pokemon, without Power-up-Punch it doesn't hit hard enough, like there are tons of Pokemon that avoid being 2HKOd if it doesn't have a boost (Clefable, Mega Scizor, Gliscor etc), without Ice Punch Landorus-T walls it all day, and mons like Rocky Helmet Garchomp can easily wear it down, and EVEN THEN Lopunny is still very effective against the majority of builds in the current meta. It is always nice to have a fast dark resist in the team (Sucker Punch resists are always welcome) and Lopunny just forces your opponent to bring their bulky mons if they don't want you to murder their fast and frail attackers, so if you have team mates like Keldeo, Bisharp and Latios, you are definitely going to open some holes in the opposing team. Lopunny can also surprise the opponent with supportive options like Healing Wish and SubPass. I once used a Fake Out / HJK / Sub / Pass Lopunny in a tournament match. Because I revealed Fake Out, my opponent could swear I didn't have both Substitute and Baton Pass in the same set, so yeah you can be pretty creative when using Lopunny.

If Clefable were suspected, what would you vote and why?
Clefable is definitely a top tier Pokemon and it is so easy to use and include in any team/playstyle. The most threatening set at this moment is the Thunder Wave + Calm Mind Magic Guard set. With this set Clefable can, at the same time provide defensive and paralysis support to the team and, the most interesting thing, it is an amazing win condition that all teams should be prepared to. As for relevant and viable counters to this set, we have SD + Roost Mega Scizor, SD SpD Gliscor, Excadrill, Body Slam + Iron Head Jirachi, Thunder Wave/Flash Cannon/Metal Sound Klefki, and also SpD Skarmory can phaze it all day until Clefable is the last Pokemon in the opposing side, and even then Clefable might still win if it gets lucky enough, even if Skarmory has Iron Head. I believe SpD Tran with Taunt can potentially PP stall it, but it's been a while since I’ve seen such a thing happening. If Ferrothorn gets paralyzed, Gyro Ball is going to deal massive damage, but idk I think you can't rely on Ferrothorn to beat Clefable lol. Offensive teams usually can prevent it from setting up hitting it hard enough, like even Latios' Psyshock deals 50-56% to the most common spread (252HP/160Def/96SpD Calm) and Landorus-T earthquake is a 2hko (once it knocks off Clefable's Leftovers). I think I would vote no ban because Clefable is manageable, even though it is like the strongest Pokemon in OU at this moment (imo).

Last edited:
Denisssss, hey bud! Some questions regarding the ST metas
1) Your thoughts on Hoopa/Shadow Tag regarding stall viability in ORAS?
2) What do you think about Exca and Weather in BW OU? Are you ready for the new meta or are you also hoping itll stay as it was?
3) How can you be this cute???? I really dont get it

dennis, going further into BP in doubles, have you considered Geo-pass with Transform on Smeargle? double the altaria/mence power

Is there a bright future for Baton Pass Ariados? Post your thoughts before AND after seeing this set

Ariados (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Insomnia
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 28 Def / 112 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Infestation
- Disable
- Baton Pass

Infestation for trapping hazard setters, Disable for removing a mon's main attack after knocking you into sash, and giving a free switch-in to a mon weak to that disabled move

If a pokemon is released with access to baton pass + ingrain, do you see yourself using BP in a defensive manner?

dEnIsSsS

Denisssss, hey bud! Some questions regarding the ST metas
1) Your thoughts on Hoopa/Shadow Tag regarding stall viability in ORAS?
hey cosine <3 I'm not such a big fan of stall teams in ORAS (even told you to don't use in WCOP, but you didn't hear me hehe). Anyway, if I ever had to build a Stall team with Hoopa being allowed in the tier, I think I would want to have Mandibuzz in the team (and yeah I don't like Gothitelle). This is what I brainstormed a short while ago: http://pastebin.com/ZJUdwpaw. Idk if it would work, but at least it covers most of the metagame.. I guess? lol Stall is so lame :[ Shadow Tag isn't something to worry about because it is barely used in the tournament scene.

2) What do you think about Exca and Weather in BW OU? Are you ready for the new meta or are you also hoping itll stay as it was?
Excadrill was barely used in WCOP, Stout wasn't even popular (even before the WCOP). I think that Skarmory's popularity is just annoying for these mons. Sun, on the other hand, was a very potent play style (but also very match up reliant) that some few people tried to cover when team building. Specially defensive Tyranitar with Shed Shell, Heatran with Shed Shell/Air Baloon and/or Bulky Latias with Thunder Wave and Psyshock were some options people could rely on if they wished to be strongly prepared for those players that used to enjoy playing with sun, but if sun ever gets permanently nerfed, there would be one less thing to worry about. I hope the meta stays as it was because I got soooo many points with Sun teams in the last season :[

3) How can you be this cute???? I really dont get it
Hello??? Look at yourself first before saying that... Your cuteness level is unreachable... screw you :[

dennis, going further into BP in doubles, have you considered Geo-pass with Transform on Smeargle? double the altaria/mence power
nope, it seems interesting :o

Is there a bright future for Baton Pass Ariados? Post your thoughts before AND after seeing this set

Ariados (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Insomnia
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 28 Def / 112 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Infestation
- Disable
- Baton Pass

Infestation for trapping hazard setters, Disable for removing a mon's main attack after knocking you into sash, and giving a free switch-in to a mon weak to that disabled move
hm... This set looks very cool :P

If a pokemon is released with access to baton pass + ingrain, do you see yourself using BP in a defensive manner?
Baton Pass + Ingrain into CM Mega Latias with Stored Power. What do you think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)