Other OU Pokemon of the Week V2 Week 6:Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jirachi really versatile, but mostly outclassed. literally can set rocks, healing wish, scarf, band, CM, expert belt, defensive.

Its biggest assets are that it can counter mega gardevoir and lati@S.
otherwise really can't do much

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT DONT LET THE THREAD DIE

toxic+iron head+protect have great synergy

also VOTES:

rhyperior
entei
salamence(ik its not good but i wanna see some discussion on it)
doublade
celebi
manaphy

PM UR VOTES TO ME, MINE GOES TO SALAMENCE

I ONLY GOT 2 VOTES, WE NEED MORE VOTES

Salamence is a pokemon I have been experimenting with, and to be honest, it isn't really that bad itself. It just faces ferocious competition. Since I don't want to cover much in the OP in an effort to keep the thread alive, no sets. Discuss.​

Mence isn't BAD per se, but it isn't good either. Like Smog Frog said, it faces an enormous amount of competition for every set it can viably run. As a Dragon Dancer, it is literally the Burger King to Mega Gyarados' McDonalds. As a late game cleaner, Talonflame says hello. It straight up is outclassed; it's not fast or bulky enough for this metagame. A lot of times when I reference the power creep of XY I'm talking about stall, but in this case it's a sweeper that just can't take enough hits. Thanks to the speed tiers getting thrown out the window by super powerful priority, 100 Base Speed isn't fast enough whether it's scarfed or just at +1 (or +6 for that matter...Priority is priority…). If you run into a team that is completely ill-equipped for Salamence (meaning that it's ill-equipped for ANY Dragon Dancer or Fast Dragon), sure--you're gonna have a favorable match-up; however, the metagame has just shifted so far away from Salamence that it just doesn't keep up.

I think the scarfed moxie set is easily its best set that faces little competition and isnt really "outclassed" like its dragon dance set. It also has a niche as a defogger with wish, although ive never actually seen one. Its get roost (and dragon tail?) and intimidate as well so I think it might be descent. Its only real niche as a dragon dancer is having Hydro Pump to get past gliscor, lando-t, and hippowdon, which jsnt terrible but mostly outclassed.

i am satisfied w/ the discussion so far, nice !

but anyways, do you prefer an attack or speed boosting nature on your mence? i use naughty because it really enjoys the power to kickstart a late game sweep(http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-160525110 here is an example, i would not have got the kill on mag if mence was speed boosting nature)
so i prefer a attack boosting nature, what about you?
Almost paradoxically, I feel more comfortable with a speed boosting nature when I'm nurturing Mence's weaker offensive stat. Ever since Gen 4, I've ran a Timid Specs Mence and Naive Mixmence respectively.

Recently, I've been pairing these mence builds with Jirachi to slap Threats with Intimidate and intercept wishes for longevity.

Speaking of longevity, defensive Mence really holds its own on balanced teams, once the surprise factor wears off, it becomes quite useful for pivoting off of Landos and Heatrans.

It runs a nice Dragon Dancing set, and being able to go mixed helps it. It really is just a case of a good Pokemon dealing with too much competition at what it does. If anything though, it does help serve other Pokemon with similar roles do their job nicely. Kinda a wingman to stuff like Kyruem or Charizard.

I could see Salamence running a really good specially defensive set on Stall. I don't play that playstyle much, but I'd love to see a team revolving around that.

I could see Salamence running a really good specially defensive set on Stall. I don't play that playstyle much, but I'd love to see a team revolving around that.
Considering the amount of special Ice-type moves running around, not really. Salamence's only valuable assets to a stall team are
1. Defog
2. Wish
3. Ground Immunity

As a Defogger, it's simply outclassed by things like Skarmory, Latias, Zapdos; as a Wish passer, it's HOPELESSLY outclassed by things like Chansey, Sylveon…the Ground immunity is the only part that is appealing to me. It means that Salamence can actually, with its bulk and typing, counter any non HP Ice Landorus. Which is a big plus, except what else does Salamence handle? Also, Salamence faces competition from Dragonite in this Specially defensive role. CBBNite is overall better, seeing as it has Multiscale to tank hits like an absolute boss, and has Extremespeed for decently strong priority. All in all, Salamence on stall would be extremely niche, and you can't build a stall team around such a specific niche. Salamence would be the type of thing you throw on your team at the end if you need to patch up a significant weakness to Landorus and you are sick of all of the things that do it better.

it beats significant threats such as zard y, keldeo, and landorus, as well as subDD mega gyara. and with that beauty of a move pool, it can offensively check things, with aerial ace, earthquake, and aqua tail being ur main options. i prefer aerial ace because beating heracross is such a big thing. dragon claw and dragon tail are also options for the last slot. but yeah, cbbnite is better if u don't need wish

What does SpDef Salamence do that CBBNite doesn't? Nothing aside from Wish Passing, which is better left to other things.

EDIT: Like I said before, Salamence can run a lot of sets, but it's outclassed in each one of them.

What does SpDef Salamence do that CBBNite doesn't? Nothing aside from Wish Passing, which is better left to other things.

EDIT: Like I said before, Salamence can run a lot of sets, but it's outclassed in each one of them.
Arguably its Sp Def set has a slight niche in being able to have some physical bulk via intimidate.........

But its still facing a lot of competition in everything it does really. Still hate it tho.

i am disappointed

ok so i've been thinking about scarf mence w/ aqua tail since mag be trapping them steel types u use fire blast for and u get the ability to hurt bulky grounds

thoughts?

i am disappointed

ok so i've been thinking about scarf mence w/ aqua tail since mag be trapping them steel types u use fire blast for and

Why Aqua Tail? Hydro Pump would arguably be better considering it beats lando-T and Hippo much easier (even if you want to get fancy with Moxie boosts).

Well,with hydro pump you can hit mons on the special side. I think that hitting both defenses is a pretty good trait, and its sp atk is not bad at all either. The set would have to go by the tier you plan on using it in and what you pair it with, as he said magnezone would handle steel types so in that case i see no reason not to use hydro pump. Scarf set i think still has potential due to moxe and it can use draco meteor if it wants also.

actually, with fairies all around OU like Azu or Clefable, it's hard for mence to sweep. The Strongest move it can use is Outrage and DC which are waller by those two, the others were filler and not very strong, and mence is easily be revenge killed by lots of priority and scarfers. I'm looking forward to seeing Mega Mence becomes a wrecking ball when ORAS comes, but right now, mence can truly shine, i guess, as a wallbreaker

You need to calm down about this thread dying. I think you're overreacting. Maybe there's a reason this thread is dying but that's a story for another book.
I really wanted to talk about Salamence but whatever. Never even noticed this thread TBH ._.
Victini is a pretty interesting beast. At first glance, it's stats are pretty mediocre. I really don't think it's too spectacular. It has extremely powerful moves and manageable speed, but really, it only functions well as a Scarfed Pokemon. If you use a Banded set, dangerous Pokemon like Keldeo can outspeed it. It's typing, while decent, also brings if down in the fact that Stealth Rocks are everywhere in this metagame. Even when you slap a Scarf on it, Talonflame does a big number to it, as well as basically anything with Sucker Punch. It hits like a truck, but sadly that's really all it has going for it.
Sorry to be a downer as the first post, these are just my opinions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)