OU Team

Is this a good OU team without changes, or does it need some major improvement?

• Yeah, its pretty good.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No, it has some flaws that need to be fixed

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Well, this team has done me pretty well, winning a good 2/3 battles I play. But, 2/3 isn't the best, and I'm hoping to improve. As I have once before had help from some people on this team, I feel I should show the original team, what changes have already been made, and where it is now. This is so that if you disagree with any of the changes made, think that there is a better option for the change, or just think the original was the better choice, you can let me know. Also, as of this team, I started making a checklist of pokemon to be on my teams when I create them
-Spinner
-Hazard Setter
-Psyichal Attacker
-Special Attacker
-Psyichal Sweeper
-Special Sweeper.

Without further ado, lets begin.

The team started out with Infernape. Now, while people say that everyone uses infernape because of nostalgia, I use him because of his DW ability. Having Iron fist boosts the power of TP, FP and MP, and with Close Combat, he did some lethal damage. Psyichal Attacker: Check.

Next came Donphan. Seeingas most teams consist of a spinner, and a hazard setter, I found Donphan serving as both. While Donphan only set up rocks, while others (I.e. Ferrothorn) Set up spikes as well, I found Only needing to set up one thing allowed for donphan to land some heavy hits with life orb Ice Shard + Earthquake. He was a pretty good setup/spinner that I didn't see very often. Hazards and Spinner: Check.

After adding Donphan, I decided to find a special attacker. I decided on either Latias, or Latios. I chose Latias so that it could have a little more bulk, setup with Calm Mind and still do some decent damage. There was nothing special about this pokemon, just the fact that I needed a special attacker. Offensive Special Attacker: Check.

Salamence is a good Psyichal sweeper. He Sets up with dragon dance, and can then go and sweep with Outrage, Fire Blast, and earthquake. The only downside to using outrage is that if you get trapped in it, then the opponent could easily send out a steel type. Luckily, Infernape normally handles them before sending out Mence.

Jirachi can be considered a staller, therefore fits the checklist. It knows body slam, fire punch, wish and iron head. Paralyzes the foe with body slam, then continuously makes them flinch with iron head. Fire punch is there for steel and ghost types (While chandelure walls this set) and wish is to heal. I call it Para-flinching.

Now this is where I screwed up. I added a Toxic Healing gliscor, because I had heard it worked. Comepletely forgetting that all I needed for my list was a special sweeper. Gliscor didn't server much of a purpose.

At this point, my team did ok. But it wasn't great, so I decided to ask some people for help. Two pokemon stayed the same, one just got swapped out for another, and three completely changed.

Jirachi and Mence stayed on the team, as no one ever saw a problem with them. I did however change mence's item from a lum berry, to a focus sash to ensure that it is able to setup with dragon dance.

It turns out when I made the choice between Latias and Latios, I chose wrong. A lot of people told me that I should have went with a full out attacking Latios, rather then a defensive Latias.

Kingdra is the Special Sweeper of the team. I got tons of hate for having gliscor on my team, when I only have one special attacker. Thats where the main hole in my team was, and with kingdra, I kind of repaired it.

So, as many suggested, a good replacement for Donphan is Mamoswine. While Mamoswine does not use rapid spin, it still gets rocks, and can hit even harder then Donphan ever could, especially with that life orb helping out.

Terrakion. A Pokemon with two boosting moves, and two STAB boosted attacking moves. While it rarely gets the chance to boost twice, if it does, it just wrecks havoc, and is a good replacement for Infernape, giving the same fighting type bonus I wanted in infernape. But, if I have to say one thing I dislike about changing into terrakion, is that now there is no true counter to grass types on my team other then mamoswine, which leads and then dies.

Well, thats the team in all. Now, I'll break down each individual pokemon, and explain truly what they all do.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4 Def
Adament Nature
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

Mamoswine is often my lead when I enter battle, unless there is some really obvious reason to choose a different pokemon. Mamoswine quickly sets up rocks, and then hits hard with Icicle Crash and Earthquake. If I know I'm outspeeded and about to die, I use Ice Shard for a final gambit in battle. Unless the foes team if made up of mostly grass type, there is really no reason to protect mamoswine, so he could also be used as death fodder after setting up rocks.

Jirachi (-) @Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
252 HP/224SpD/32 Spe
Careful Nature
-Fire Punch
-Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Wish

This Para-flinching Jirachi teaches every person who meets it one thing: Serene Grace sucks when its used against you. If with a %60 chance to paralyze when using body slam, you almost always get the paralysis. If they are paralyzed, then keep using iron head. Thats a %60 chance for flinching, plus a (I think this is correct) %20 chance to not be able to move due to paralysis. That leaves a mere %20 percent chance that you are going to be able to attack at all. Even if you manage to land one hit, wish is there to heal jirachi, while fire punch covers the two type threats to this tactic: Ghost and Steel.

P.S. I would like to note that one pokemon that has proven to be a massive wall against this pokemon is chadelure, do to it resisting all of Jirachi's moves.

Kingdra (M) @Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
252 SpA/ 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature

-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse

This kingdra serves two main purposes. I'll start out with the Sweeper.
Swift Swim Kingdra can be a monster to deal with. With very few weaknesses, setting up Rain Dance is generally easy. Then, lets look at hydro pump. You now have a Double Speed, STAB Boosted, Life Orb Boosted, Rain Boosted, 120 power Kingdra, leaving you with a rough 350 base power hydro pump, that will almost surely hit first. Good Luck.
Its second purpose is to ruin weather teams (Other then rain). Here are some common weather team leads: Ninetales, send out Mamoswine. Tyranitar: Send out Terrakion. Hippodown, send out Kingdra. Politoed: Send out Latios.
My team has an easy kill on any weather summoner, so once they are gone, Kingdra can summon rain and eliminate their weather bonus. Plus, if they have a rain team, Kingdra will get the immediate bost, be saved the extra turn using rain dance, and go for the gold. Overall, I'm glad I swapped this out for Gliscor.

Salamence (F) @Focus sash
Ability: Moxie
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpA
Lonely Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

Salamence is a beast. Literally. Has the focus sash to allow him the ensurance that he will be able to setup. With Infernape being swapped with terrakion however, he loses the protection from things like scizor and forretress. Thats why he has fire blast, so if they are likely going to switch into the steel/bug pkemon to take the outrage, I can blast them to death.

Latios (-) @Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
252 SpA/252 Spe/4SpD
Timid Nature
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Draco Meteor
-Roost

The Calm Minding Latias was swapped for the hard hitting Latios. This latios has a lot of type coverage with surf and thunderbolt, gets stab from Draco Meteor, and can heal itself with Roost. The only downside to Meteor is it forces me to switch out immediately after, so the foe can predict that and use a move Super Effective against the pokemon Im switching in to.

Terrakion (-) @Life Orb
Ability: Justified
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD
Adament Nature
-Swords Dance
-Rock Polish
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

This is the final member of my team, the Double Dancing Terrakion. There are benefits to using both swords dance and rock polish. If swords dance is used, you know a hard hit is coming your way. If Rock Polish is used, you know you will be able to outspeed and maybe get some harder hits off before stat boosts. If both are used, then you know you can OHKO most things, move first a lot of the time, and not have to worry about CC's defense drops.

Well, thats my team. Please tell me what you think of the changes that were made since the beginning, and the team to date.

The one thing on my checklist that I don't have however is a spinner. Any Suggestions?

If there is one other thing I would like to change, it is draco meteor on both Kingdra and Latios. Is there any other good dragon move for latios, or any other move with good coverage for kingdra? Please let me know.

For now, peace out, and happy metagaming!

Seems good, although Focus Sash is probably a better item, considering he is usually your lead.

Checks out A-OK.

Personally, I prefer physical Kingdra, but if your team needs a special sweeper, then thats fine.

First off, no Focus Sash. The power from Life Orb is a must. Sash will usually be broken by SR anyway. Secondly, Naive nature is a better nature, so he can outspeed other pokes with base 100 Speed.

This is where I start to get confused. Why run Roost and Leftovers with no defensive investment at all? If you want to use Roost and Leftovers use LatiAs with an A. Instead of Leftovers, use a Choice Specs. His Special Attack is through he roof right from the get-go. Use Psyshock over Thunderbolt to destroy Chansey and Blissey, and Trick over Roost to instantly cripple walls and physical sweepers alike. Now that's an offensive Latios set.

Double Dance is cool but is more easily countered then other Terrakion sets, simply because of its lack of a third attack. Choice Band Scizor wrecks him, as do Conkelldurr, Azumarill, Starmie, Latios, Tornadus, and Alakazam all wreck this set without a boost. SubDisable Gengar however... just wow. If he disables Stone Edge Terrakion is powerless as Gengar sets up in his face before OHKOing him with Focus Blast. I would recommend a Sub set. Its almost exactly the same, but with Sub over Rock Polish. Terrakion can avoid a crippling burn and take a hit a from faster pokes with sub up.

Anyway, I hope I helped and GL with the team :)

Mamoswine: In terms of it's set, I find that Icicle Spear is much more effective than Icicle Crash. Because it not only allows you to hit through Substitutes, but also to knock out Dragonite with it's multiscale up. Seeing as it's a lead, I would also change the item to Focus Sash or Leftovers.

Jirachi: Annoying as ever.

Kingdra: Kingdra is one of the most powerful sweepers this game has been blessed with. Your set seems fine, but rather than Draco Meteor, I would suggest Hidden Power [Electric], only to hit other Water pokemon harder. The thing is, under rain, you don't want to lose your special attack and have to switch out.

Salamence: I Don't understand the focus sash logic. Every counter to Salamence has some form of priority, making the sash about useless. Its also broken by stealth rocks, which now that you don't have a spinner, will be common. Instead, choose either Life Orb or Leftovers, and only switch him in when you know you can set up. Not when you must rely on the sash. The set itself is fine though. Also, with Salamence's main counters being physical attackers, losing Defense through your nature is not fun.

Latios: This is where that Draco Meteor should be. But the Roost really isn't efficient. Latios is a pure attacker, and should be given either a Choice Specs or Choice Scarf. Afterwards, rather than Thunderbolt, you should have Psyshock. Rather than Roost, carry Trick or Sleep Talk. This allows you to absorb Sleeps for your team, or use Trick to lock walls into a Choiced Item.

Terrakion: Much like Landorus, double dance is very cool. But the time it takes to set up, along with its unreliable results due to a 2 move coverage afterwards, really makes it not worth it. I would suggest carrying Stealth Rocks in case Mamoswine cannot set them up for some reason, and have Quick Attack or X-Scissor in your last slot, for either priority or a Psychic Counter. The Life Orb can be kept, but a Focus Sash or Leftovers is preferred.

I hope this helped!

(I'm on my phone so I won't be able to write much)
The people aboved touched on most of the main points. But I notice you don't have a revenge killer. I think you should give terrakion a choice scarf. It just fits your team better. Next I would replace outrage with dragon claw. You really need to be able to switch moves. Test it out, I think it performs better but that is down to preference. Also, about your team building thing: It obviously for heavy offense. On heavy offense ( unless you got volcanara) you don't want a spinner except maybe offensive starmie. Hope I helped, I might write more on my computer when I get the chance.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, so I'm here to rate this team.

Okay so I like the general idea behind Kingdra + Salamence, as they break down their counters very nicely. However, I beleive I have a few suggestions that will make the team a bit better.

So looking over the team, I'm seeing I weakness to Scizor, mainly banded variants, as nothing wants to take a potential U-turn / Bullet Punch.. Scizor can revenge kill Salamence, Terrakion, Latios, and hit Kingdra / Latios hard with a U-turn, while it's always gaining momentum on this team.

I think I'm also seeing a Ferrothorn in Rain. This is mainly because you rely on Terrakion (which can't switch in because of Gyro Ball / Power Whip) or Salamence's Fire Blast (which doesn't do much in Rain). Ferrothorn is also Kingdra's best counter in the metagame, while it sets up hazards that easily wear down this team (since you have no rapid spinner).

I also feel 3 Dragon types on one team is pretty redundant and that extra team slot could help you out in another way.

Okay, so I suggest replacing Salamence with Hydreigon. Hydreigon breaks down Kingdra's counters nicely, as well as not being weak to Stealth Rock. It's generally a better answer to Celebi / Ferrothorn, and is a great mixed attacker. Here's the set.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Earthquake

My next suggestion would be to replace Latios with Magnezone. Magnezone really helps with the Ferrothorn / Scizor weakness, trapping them both easily. Magnezone also fits this team like a glove, creating a DragMag core for the team. Here's the set

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon / Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Finally, I suggest you change your current Jirachi set to a Choice Scarf set. The reason behind this is I feel something like +1 Dragonite could rip through this team, and you have no scarfer to revenge kill. Jirachi is a great revenge killer, mainly because of it's coverage and move pool. Here's the set.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

So yeah, I hope my suggestions help you. Good luck with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)