Project OU Teambuilding Competition V9 (Done! See you all in Sun & Moon)

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost/Earthquake

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 120 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Psychic/Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Clefable (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stored Power

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
This is a pretty cool team that I whipped up with some unique sets, so here goes. To start, I saw the SR Nidoqueen posted in creative sets the other day and figured that it would work with tspikes over Rocks. I added that set to begin, then I added in Jirachi because it complimented the first two, added a Lati/Garde switch in, and had healing wish to give zardx a second chance at a sweep. After that, I noticed I was hella weak to Keld, so I added in Starmie as opposed to Latios because hazard stack+defog is dong. Ebelt narrowly OHKOes Keld with Psychic and doesn't require you to run Life Orb, enabling you to stay healthy throughout the match to check it, and natural cure lets you heal off toxics/burns when you switch out since Starmie is being used more for its defensive utility than its offensive versatility on this team. After that, I noticed that Weavile and MLop were both super annoying for the team to deal with, so I added bold CM Clef onto the team to deal with both of them well. I decided to run the stallbreaker variant since I didn't want to run Outrage Zardx and I didn't want to run a dedicated stallbreaker as a last. Lastly, I noticed that I was really weak to opposing DD Zardx, Zardy, Talonflame, and most importantly Serperior, so naturally I added Heatran to deal with all of these threats pretty solidly. I'm running magma trap to take some stallbreaking pressure off of Clef, max HP to tank hits from the aformentioned threats a bit easier, and it has a balloon so that the team doesn't just drop to dd eq zardx, which is nice. The team's matchup vs Pinsir frankly sucks, so you can run tbolt on Starmie to hit Pinssir if you want, just be aware that you dont OHKO Keldeo. Aside from the poopy birdspam matchup, it's pretty solid to use and fun overall, so you guys should try and use it. Also, run female on every mon you can so that attract Scoli doesn't ruin your day lol.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Triple Hazard Balance/Semi-Stall

Dragalge (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Sableye-Mega (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Talonflame (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Until now, I have mostly built offensive teams because of my more-aggressive nature. When I saw that this round is about Toxic Spikes I really wanted to build a Balance/Semi-Stall team so any critics are more than welcome.

I really wanted to build around the core of Dragalge + Ferrothorn. They cover each other's weaknesses really well and also set up spikes + toxic spikes, really helpful for wearing down opponents. I chose Mega Sableye to be the 3rd member because it's a great spinblocker, helps with Weavile and walls Ferrothorn and Skarmory (both Dragalge and Ferrothorn can't touch them) and spreads burns on Steel types and almost all poison types, Pokémon that Toxic Spikes teams really hate. Ferrothorn and Dragalge deals really well with fairies, what Mega Sableye hates at most.

Hippowdon was my natural choice as the 4th member because it deals well with Mega Charizard X, gets up Stealth Rocks and has access to Roar/Whirlwind. It also completes the infamous Ferrothorn/Mega Sableye/Hippowdon core, a core that's been featured in many teams.
I really wanted a Rapid Spin support over Defog because I don't wanna get rid of hazard on my opponent's side. I wanted Starmie because it's the Rapid Spin user that fits best in my team lol.
My last member is Talonflame. I needed a wincon, a Mega Gardevoir switch-in and Mega Charizard Y switch-in. Talonflame looks like the natural choice here. It also completes a Fire/Water/Grass core.
All of my members are female so that Scolipede won't get an attract on them (desperate times, huh?).
I am gonna say the truth here, I really love the team and proud of it. I even considered using it as an OLT laddering team because it beats common matchups.

Two replays from the 1700s:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434693742 // versus rain
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434690404 // versus stall

I learned from this experiment that toxic spikes is garbage, but an offensive core of metagross mega, dragonite, and a hex gengar is fearsome

With so many Flying, Levitate, Steel and Poison is very difficult to build around Tspikes.
Well, I started with the Cloyster of this RMT, since it is interesting against Stall, replacing Rock Blast by Toxic Spikes, trying a free turn to use the hazard while the opponent is preparing against Shell Smash. And in the next turn, Flinch Icicle Spear + Tspikes = hmm cool.
Without much creativity but seeking something offensive, the core Lando / Lati / Keld is very interesting, Lando speed control Scarf, Keldeo RestTalk for a durable switch against Sableye-M, Dark mons and Heatran , and Lati with Thunder Wave a shit gimmick to Heatran and Tornadus-T.
Excadrill for Spin, Rocks and Clefable control.
Finally, a mega to help against Lopunny-M, Rotom-W and Tangrowth.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-435547343
Unfortunately King's Rock does not work here, but the team works well against Stall.

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 128 HP / 172 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Toxic Spikes

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Keldeo @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Last edited:

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 124 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack

Started with TSpikes Nidoqueen, who threatens common leads (Chomp, Lando, Tran) as well as Tspikes absorbers like Amoongus and Venu. Added Jelli for spinblocking purposes (can switch into both Starmie and Drill without risking 50/50s) and for checking Keld/Volc and abusing status with hex. Standard Tran provides rock while forming a double Taunt core with Jelli, which is the main way of dealin with defensive teams. Tang rounds up the FGW core, checks many phys attackers and is my only ground resist. ScarfTar traps common defoggers and gives me a better matchup vs many offensive threats, while being a secondary check to birdspam. Lopunny enjoys having her checks (Slowbro, Mew, Cune, Tang, Chomp) weakened by Tspikes, abuses status with Fake Out and cleans offensive teams with ease thanks to her double priority.

Field day vs Venu stall with double Taunt + Nido
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436133588

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Breloom @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 220 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Scald

So I originally made the team based on running T-spikes+Vincune, since I figured that everything that gets affected by Tspikes would allow Suicune to easily set up and win against it. So Dragalge here to set up T-spikes with enough speed to outspeed Clefable, and next up is SD+Lansat Loom which lures in Amoonguss, since I have always been apprehensive of running T-spikes because of the recent popularity of Amoonguss, however this set does a great job of taking it out so that it can't absorb T-spikes and be a general nuisance. Next up is Weavile, who is a useful pursuit trapper against the likes of the Latis/Starmie for Suicune as well as so that Dragalge can continue setting up T-Spikes. Defensive SD Yache Lando to help lure in irritating electric mons while also checking the likes of SD M-Scizor, as Vincune can take it out, but just to take the pressure off of Suicune so that it can set up and win easier, SD was put over U-turn on Lando for this reason. Next is Mega Scizor with enough physical defense investment to live Lopunny HJK after rocks pretty much all the time due to no hazard removal on the team. Helps take out the likes of Weavile and is also another Clefable check so Dragalge isn't pressured in checking it all by itself. And finally the star of the team, Vincune. This set is actually ridiculous, and can set up and win against so many teams, its crazy. Helped out by the rest of the team, the team's main goal is to either help a Suicune sweep and if not, then Scizor acts a secondary wincon. Still in testing for the most part, but I'm happy with the way this team came out.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Def / 204 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack

Started with TSpikes Nidoqueen, who threatens common leads (Chomp, Lando, Tran) as well as Tspikes absorbers like Amoongus and Venu. Added Jelli for spinblocking purposes (can switch into both Starmie and Drill without risking 50/50s) and for checking Keld/Volc and abusing status with hex. Standard Tran provides rock while forming a double Taunt core with Jelli, which is the main way of dealin with defensive teams. Tang rounds up the FGW core, checks many phys attackers and is my only ground resist. ScarfTar traps common defoggers and gives me a better matchup vs many offensive threats, while being a secondary check to birdspam. Lopunny enjoys having her checks (Slowbro, Mew, Cune, Tang, Chomp) weakened by Tspikes, abuses status with Fake Out and cleans offensive teams with ease thanks to her double priority.
Jesus that's a lot of speed on Jellicent. I would've never considered running enough speed to beat uninvested Cune, but I can see the merit of it on this type of team and the set has caught my interest. That said, if you're running that much speed have you considered using a spread of 240 HP / 124 Def / 144 Spe timid? This spread hits 211 speed (4 points higher than your current spread) at the cost of an equal number if points in defense to beat analysis Rotom-W (8 Spe) so that you can use Recover before it can use Volt Switch while having 1 more point in defense than a bold equivalent spread (124 Def hits 207 whereas 48+ hits 206), and overall I think that this slight increase in your speed tier would be beneficial in the long run over the minute difference in physical bulk because it makes Jellicent slightly less vulnerable to Rotom-W if you come in on it's Hydro Pump or if it comes in after you KO something to try and use Jellicent for free momentum. One other thing to consider for Jellicent would be to run Colbur Berry>Leftovers so that you can either wisp or escape Pursuit users, improving it's ability to fulfill it's draw as a hard counter to Keldeo and it being one of the best Volcanion answers substantially due to these two Pokémon very commonly paired up with Pursuit users like Tyranitar (252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 240 HP / 124 Def Colbur Berry Jellicent: 252-297 (62.8 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage; Jellicent Wisps and then proceeds to outlast Tyranitar, or if T-Spikes are up it can escape and use Keldeo for free healing later on). I think this is also worth running (with the HP/Def investment adjusted to 248 HP / 116 Def due to the lack of Leftovers) because the team in it's current state is very dependent on Jellicent to stop Keldeo and Volcanion getting a kill every time they come in and, as such, having a way to stop it getting trapped is important.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Mew @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gravity
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Aura Sphere

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Excadrill @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
this is the definition of a shitty gimmick team that can work if you play the cards correctly. toxic spikes has one major problem in which that most of the metagame is immune to it. with gravity mew, you can poison landorus-t for example. choice band garchomp is the star and it hits like a truck especially when the immune are gone from gravity. latios with shadow ball lets you somewhat mitigate the mega metagross weakness. excadrill is specially defensive with shuca in honor of AM who got tired of this shitty game. it also bluffs scarf if you play it like a don (replay 2 lol). originally, there was a breloom with lansat berry to kill amoonguss but i switched it lopunny because i didn't have a mega. adamant because i wanted to try the set out.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436007170
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436012010

Jesus that's a lot of speed on Jellicent. I would've never considered running enough speed to beat uninvested Cune, but I can see the merit of it on this type of team and the set has caught my interest. That said, if you're running that much speed have you considered using a spread of 240 HP / 124 Def / 144 Spe timid? This spread hits 211 speed (4 points higher than your current spread) at the cost of an equal number if points in defense to beat analysis Rotom-W (8 Spe) so that you can use Recover before it can use Volt Switch while having 1 more point in defense than a bold equivalent spread (124 Def hits 207 whereas 48+ hits 206), and overall I think that this slight increase in your speed tier would be beneficial in the long run over the minute difference in physical bulk because it makes Jellicent slightly less vulnerable to Rotom-W if you come in on it's Hydro Pump or if it comes in after you KO something to try and use Jellicent for free momentum. One other thing to consider for Jellicent would be to run Colbur Berry>Leftovers so that you can either wisp or escape Pursuit users, improving it's ability to fulfill it's draw as a hard counter to Keldeo and it being one of the best Volcanion answers substantially due to these two Pokémon very commonly paired up with Pursuit users like Tyranitar (252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 240 HP / 124 Def Colbur Berry Jellicent: 252-297 (62.8 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage; Jellicent Wisps and then proceeds to outlast Tyranitar, or if T-Spikes are up it can escape and use Keldeo for free healing later on). I think this is also worth running (with the HP/Def investment adjusted to 248 HP / 116 Def due to the lack of Leftovers) because the team in it's current state is very dependent on Jellicent to stop Keldeo and Volcanion getting a kill every time they come in and, as such, having a way to stop it getting trapped is important.
Thanks a lot for the spread dude, I actually just took the previous one from the Dex and it worked decently so I didn't bother changing it, but this definitely looks better. Colbur > Lefties was something I was debating before posting and decided to change now, since all things considered burning the trapper is more useful than some passive recovery.
Thanks again ! :)

Last edited:

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
EVs: 144 HP / 232 Atk / 32 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

The idea of toxic spikes is scaring to use in this day and age but here I go. First is the dragon seahorse that is holding the toxic spikes on the team. This allows Latias to take a break from being my only water and electric resist. With the black sludge with a little recover because it is already strong enough. Next on the team is AV gross. Recently this has been a fetish of mine to put av gross on every team. The point is to trap most psychic types main the twins and an answer to most fairies. Next is Rocky lando for reasons that is easy to understand. Latias is for hazard control and healing wish for the mega. Next is rotom-w for again pretty simple to understand why it is on the team. Finally, bulky cross with sub to kill and tear apart defensive teams. With the volt-turn and the two killers in the back it should be easy to understand the team.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Megahorn

Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Magma Storm

First thing I want to mention is how hard it is to actually get any significant wins that are the cause of T-Spikes. Half of the meta is either Flying type, Steel type or gets Levitate. Some are even multiple (Skarmory). That said, I decided to not focus on the T-Spikes aspect as much as the team as a whole. Hazard Scolipede is very fun to use, especially if you get the chance to Endeavor threats to Bisharp and Diancie early on. As you may have guessed, Diancie and Bisharp are the main things on the team, aiming to sweep late game after their checks have died. Since Steel types are a huge threat to Diancie, I decided to use a standard bulky FWG core. Heatran allows me to deal with those pesky Steel types and Starmie allows me to either cripple or weaken most checks for the sweepers, as well as a way to clear hazards without destroying Scoli's masterpiece. Tangrowth allows me a hard counter to any variant of Excadrill as well as a solid check to many of the physical attackers in the tier.

upload_2016-9-16_0-7-15.png
upload_2016-9-16_0-6-37.png
upload_2016-9-16_0-8-17.png
upload_2016-9-16_0-8-38.png
upload_2016-9-16_0-9-15.png
upload_2016-9-16_0-9-32.png

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Iron Tail
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes

EVs: 72 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD / 176 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail

That's a colorful team, i like it. Here is the quick description:

That's hazards stack.

Defensive stuff:

=> tentacruel is just so cool for tspikes + spin to get rid of opponent's hazards. enough speed to outspeed base 70 mons (breloom for example) and heatran who think you are just fat and can't do nothing. it may seem weird willing to outpseed heatran but trust me its cool, moreover when the only way to prevent tspikes is taunt on heatran.
=> chesnaught for spikes plus he is very cool, can spike on ferrothorns, landos and stuff. takes hits like a champion from common stuff like mega lopunny (and is very cool versus some common dark type such as bisharp. spiky chield for cheap damage + lefties + tspikes works good.
=> skarmory for rocks. rocky helmet seems weird on a specially defensive skarm but its cool to punish u-turns, nothing is free in this life!

Offensive stuff:

=> mega manectric, always loved it. fast, can clean, volt switch and is annoying for the opponent when he is playing offense. it's cool and and it loves the help of spikes!
=> lucario is the coolest out there, and underrated. unboosted close combat hits hard and hits harder when + 2. espeed priority to clean if you succeeded in keeping your hazards. loves the help of spikes too. inner focus is always funky when people think they can fake out (they always forget or think you're not bad enough to have inner focus as an ability ^^)
=> tyranitar banded to hit strongly stall/fat teams. also, punishes the main defogers/spiners (lati@s/starmie/zapdos for example)

Have fun if you use this!

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So that clear things up, toxic spikes are bad lol. Thanks a lot everyone for going through this round tho, some pretty neat builds with something pretty hard to pull off. Nice job everyone :)

Voting!

Team 1

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 16 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hex
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
EVs: 132 Atk / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Energy Ball / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ground

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 40 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect
this is a rather old tspike balance team of mine that i rehashed. back then i wondered how useful tspike as support for mlop would be and it rly worked out well. lop + cune + tspikes is amazing because they help each other in this case. I opted for cofag cause it was a ghost type, learnt tspikes and had four arms coming out of a coffin. expertrachi is there to help reduce the chances of getting destroyed by clef as well as just naturally being a great bait to deal with things like lando-t and tran and acts as a pseudo ground cause i don't have any ground types on the team. i personally went with tbolt over eball cause tbolt deals with skarm which is a much bigger threat to this team than rotomw. other than that, this team is pretty much a rly grindy team that aims to slowly grind down your opponent so you can slap them silly with mlop or spray hot water over them using cune.

e - do i need replays ?

Team 2

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost/Earthquake

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Psychic/Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Clefable (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stored Power

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
This is a pretty cool team that I whipped up with some unique sets, so here goes. To start, I saw the SR Nidoqueen posted in creative sets the other day and figured that it would work with tspikes over Rocks. I added that set to begin, then I added in Jirachi because it complimented the first two, added a Lati/Garde switch in, and had healing wish to give zardx a second chance at a sweep. After that, I noticed I was hella weak to Keld, so I added in Starmie as opposed to Latios because hazard stack+defog is dong. Ebelt narrowly OHKOes Keld with Psychic and doesn't require you to run Life Orb, enabling you to stay healthy throughout the match to check it, and natural cure lets you heal off toxics/burns when you switch out since Starmie is being used more for its defensive utility than its offensive versatility on this team. After that, I noticed that Weavile and MLop were both super annoying for the team to deal with, so I added bold CM Clef onto the team to deal with both of them well. I decided to run the stallbreaker variant since I didn't want to run Outrage Zardx and I didn't want to run a dedicated stallbreaker as a last. Lastly, I noticed that I was really weak to opposing DD Zardx, Zardy, Talonflame, and most importantly Serperior, so naturally I added Heatran to deal with all of these threats pretty solidly. I'm running magma trap to take some stallbreaking pressure off of Clef, max HP to tank hits from the aformentioned threats a bit easier, and it has a balloon so that the team doesn't just drop to dd eq zardx, which is nice. The team's matchup vs Pinsir frankly sucks, so you can run tbolt on Starmie to hit Pinssir if you want, just be aware that you dont OHKO Keldeo. Aside from the poopy birdspam matchup, it's pretty solid to use and fun overall, so you guys should try and use it. Also, run female on every mon you can so that attract Scoli doesn't ruin your day lol.

Team 3

Dragalge (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Sableye-Mega (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Talonflame (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
Until now, I have mostly built offensive teams because of my more-aggressive nature. When I saw that this round is about Toxic Spikes I really wanted to build a Balance/Semi-Stall team so any critics are more than welcome.

I really wanted to build around the core of Dragalge + Ferrothorn. They cover each other's weaknesses really well and also set up spikes + toxic spikes, really helpful for wearing down opponents. I chose Mega Sableye to be the 3rd member because it's a great spinblocker, helps with Weavile and walls Ferrothorn and Skarmory (both Dragalge and Ferrothorn can't touch them) and spreads burns on Steel types and almost all poison types, Pokémon that Toxic Spikes teams really hate. Ferrothorn and Dragalge deals really well with fairies, what Mega Sableye hates at most.

Hippowdon was my natural choice as the 4th member because it deals well with Mega Charizard X, gets up Stealth Rocks and has access to Roar/Whirlwind. It also completes the infamous Ferrothorn/Mega Sableye/Hippowdon core, a core that's been featured in many teams.
I really wanted a Rapid Spin support over Defog because I don't wanna get rid of hazard on my opponent's side. I wanted Starmie because it's the Rapid Spin user that fits best in my team lol.
My last member is Talonflame. I needed a wincon, a Mega Gardevoir switch-in and Mega Charizard Y switch-in. Talonflame looks like the natural choice here. It also completes a Fire/Water/Grass core.
All of my members are female so that Scolipede won't get an attract on them (desperate times, huh?).
I am gonna say the truth here, I really love the team and proud of it. I even considered using it as an OLT laddering team because it beats common matchups.

Team 4

Cloyster @ King's Rock
EVs: 128 HP / 172 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Toxic Spikes

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Keldeo @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
With so many Flying, Levitate, Steel and Poison is very difficult to build around Tspikes.
Well, I started with the Cloyster of this RMT, since it is interesting against Stall, replacing Rock Blast by Toxic Spikes, trying a free turn to use the hazard while the opponent is preparing against Shell Smash. And in the next turn, Flinch Icicle Spear + Tspikes = hmm cool.
Without much creativity but seeking something offensive, the core Lando / Lati / Keld is very interesting, Lando speed control Scarf, Keldeo RestTalk for a durable switch against Sableye-M, Dark mons and Heatran , and Lati with Thunder Wave a shit gimmick to Heatran and Tornadus-T.
Excadrill for Spin, Rocks and Clefable control.
Finally, a mega to help against Lopunny-M, Rotom-W and Tangrowth.
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-435547343
Unfortunately King's Rock does not work here, but the team works well against Stall.

Team 5

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 124 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack
Field day vs Venu stall with double Taunt + Nido
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436133588

Team 6

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Breloom @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 220 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Scald
So I originally made the team based on running T-spikes+Vincune, since I figured that everything that gets affected by Tspikes would allow Suicune to easily set up and win against it. So Dragalge here to set up T-spikes with enough speed to outspeed Clefable, and next up is SD+Lansat Loom which lures in Amoonguss, since I have always been apprehensive of running T-spikes because of the recent popularity of Amoonguss, however this set does a great job of taking it out so that it can't absorb T-spikes and be a general nuisance. Next up is Weavile, who is a useful pursuit trapper against the likes of the Latis/Starmie for Suicune as well as so that Dragalge can continue setting up T-Spikes. Defensive SD Yache Lando to help lure in irritating electric mons while also checking the likes of SD M-Scizor, as Vincune can take it out, but just to take the pressure off of Suicune so that it can set up and win easier, SD was put over U-turn on Lando for this reason. Next is Mega Scizor with enough physical defense investment to live Lopunny HJK after rocks pretty much all the time due to no hazard removal on the team. Helps take out the likes of Weavile and is also another Clefable check so Dragalge isn't pressured in checking it all by itself. And finally the star of the team, Vincune. This set is actually ridiculous, and can set up and win against so many teams, its crazy. Helped out by the rest of the team, the team's main goal is to either help a Suicune sweep and if not, then Scizor acts a secondary wincon. Still in testing for the most part, but I'm happy with the way this team came out.

Team 7

EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Mew @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gravity
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Aura Sphere

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Excadrill @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
this is the definition of a shitty gimmick team that can work if you play the cards correctly. toxic spikes has one major problem in which that most of the metagame is immune to it. with gravity mew, you can poison landorus-t for example. choice band garchomp is the star and it hits like a truck especially when the immune are gone from gravity. latios with shadow ball lets you somewhat mitigate the mega metagross weakness. excadrill is specially defensive with shuca in honor of AM who got tired of this shitty game. it also bluffs scarf if you play it like a don (replay 2 lol). originally, there was a breloom with lansat berry to kill amoonguss but i switched it lopunny because i didn't have a mega. adamant because i wanted to try the set out.

Team 8

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
EVs: 144 HP / 232 Atk / 32 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute
The idea of toxic spikes is scaring to use in this day and age but here I go. First is the dragon seahorse that is holding the toxic spikes on the team. This allows Latias to take a break from being my only water and electric resist. With the black sludge with a little recover because it is already strong enough. Next on the team is AV gross. Recently this has been a fetish of mine to put av gross on every team. The point is to trap most psychic types main the twins and an answer to most fairies. Next is Rocky lando for reasons that is easy to understand. Latias is for hazard control and healing wish for the mega. Next is rotom-w for again pretty simple to understand why it is on the team. Finally, bulky cross with sub to kill and tear apart defensive teams. With the volt-turn and the two killers in the back it should be easy to understand the team.

Team 9

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Megahorn

Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
First thing I want to mention is how hard it is to actually get any significant wins that are the cause of T-Spikes. Half of the meta is either Flying type, Steel type or gets Levitate. Some are even multiple (Skarmory). That said, I decided to not focus on the T-Spikes aspect as much as the team as a whole. Hazard Scolipede is very fun to use, especially if you get the chance to Endeavor threats to Bisharp and Diancie early on. As you may have guessed, Diancie and Bisharp are the main things on the team, aiming to sweep late game after their checks have died. Since Steel types are a huge threat to Diancie, I decided to use a standard bulky FWG core. Heatran allows me to deal with those pesky Steel types and Starmie allows me to either cripple or weaken most checks for the sweepers, as well as a way to clear hazards without destroying Scoli's masterpiece. Tangrowth allows me a hard counter to any variant of Excadrill as well as a solid check to many of the physical attackers in the tier.

Team 10

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Iron Tail
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes

EVs: 72 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD / 176 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail
That's hazards stack.

Defensive stuff:

=> tentacruel is just so cool for tspikes + spin to get rid of opponent's hazards. enough speed to outspeed base 70 mons (breloom for example) and heatran who think you are just fat and can't do nothing. it may seem weird willing to outpseed heatran but trust me its cool, moreover when the only way to prevent tspikes is taunt on heatran.
=> chesnaught for spikes plus he is very cool, can spike on ferrothorns, landos and stuff. takes hits like a champion from common stuff like mega lopunny (and is very cool versus some common dark type such as bisharp. spiky chield for cheap damage + lefties + tspikes works good.
=> skarmory for rocks. rocky helmet seems weird on a specially defensive skarm but its cool to punish u-turns, nothing is free in this life!

Offensive stuff:

=> mega manectric, always loved it. fast, can clean, volt switch and is annoying for the opponent when he is playing offense. it's cool and and it loves the help of spikes!
=> lucario is the coolest out there, and underrated. unboosted close combat hits hard and hits harder when + 2. espeed priority to clean if you succeeded in keeping your hazards. loves the help of spikes too. inner focus is always funky when people think they can fake out (they always forget or think you're not bad enough to have inner focus as an ability ^^)
=> tyranitar banded to hit strongly stall/fat teams. also, punishes the main defogers/spiners (lati@s/starmie/zapdos for example)

Have fun if you use this!

Voting lasts until Saturday at 11:00 PM GMT -5. May the best one win!​

p2

Banned deucer.
team 1 triple steels hnnng, nothing wrong with it but your gameplan against opposing ep tran is x and playing around keldeo looks very difficult to do, at least vincune can annoy subcm keldeo otherwise it seems youre just praying you get ferro in on hydro / cofag in on secret sword.

team 2 | no ground immune is extremely shaky on a build like this and sand / scarf lando can easily power through this

team 3 | looks aite but i think stall without trapping is dung

team 4 | zardx matchup looks v difficult and stuff like rotom can wisp venu or lati and then vswitch mindlessly

team 5 | mega zam looks extremely annoying, at least its qa lop. otherwise i like this one.

team 6 | i really like the concept of this build but K E L D E O.

team 7 | vertex goons

team 8 | looks good but no scarfer makes it difficult to keep fast shit in check =/

team 9 | this build looks weird, suicide lead and various things that just cut your well needed momentum, sets i hate like pursuit bish too ;/

team 10 | chesnaught zzz, build looks nice and pretty solid, im not seeing immediate weaknesses but stuff like knock offf venu teams seem annoying to face since your main answer to venutran kinda loses in the long run especially after it loses its sludge

ok class is starting now so im gonna vote for 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)