Mega Pinsir

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
[OVERVIEW]
While Mega Pinsir possesses powerful Flying coverage, it faces many pitfalls that prevent it from competing on the level of other Doubles threats. Although it sports a decent Speed tier—outspeeding base 100s—it's held back due to underspeeding critical threats such as Keldeo, Latios, Thundurus, and Mega Diancie. It also loses to and faces heavy competition from Talonflame, which possesses priority and a much better Aegislash matchup while also not taking up a Mega slot, though it lacks Mega Pinsir's power and relative bulk. In addition, Mega Pinsir struggles to do meaningful damage outside of its Flying-type STAB moves; Close Combat is a roll to KO Mega Kangaskhan even with an Adamant nature. Being frail and with no relevant resistances, Mega Pinsir is OHKOed by many neutral STAB attacks, in addition to being brought down by its multiple critical weaknesses such as to Flying- and Rock-type coverage. This combination of poor defenses, typing weaknesses, and mediocre Speed for a frail offensive attacker leaves it outclassed by Talonflame in most situations. However, access to Feint and a very powerful Flying-type STAB move can let Mega Pinsir take advantage of its offensive pressure while also supporting hard-hitting teammates.

[SET]
name: Offensive Attacker
move 1: Return
move 2: Feint
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Protect
item: Pinsirite
ability: Hyper Cutter
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Aerilate gives Return more power and makes it Flying-type, letting it KO Grass-types such as Amoonguss; Flying is also a powerful offensive typing in Doubles that is hard to switch into. Feint is a +2 priority attack that also breaks Protect, letting Mega Pinsir support a partner. Close Combat hits Heatran and Mega Kangaskhan super effectively and provides decent neutral coverage for foes that resist Flying, such as Jirachi and Rotom-W. Protect lets Pinsir Mega Evolve safely and can keep it safe while a partner removes an opposing threat on the field.

Set Details
========

252 Attack and Speed EVs maximize damage output and Speed, helping Mega Pinsir function as a hard-hitting physical attacker. While a Jolly nature is used to outspeed maximum Speed base 100s and other notable threats such as Landorus, the damage boost from an Adamant nature can be critical in securing several KOs as well as a roll to KO Mega Kangaskhan. Return will also have a roll to KO Landorus-T if Intimidate is prevented, either through coming in while Landorus-T is on the field or by taking advantage of Hyper Cutter, which lets Pinsir play around Intimidate in a similar vein to Clear Body. This lets Pinsir either lead into both without losing Attack or attack on the turn it Mega Evolves without fear of an Intimidate switch-in hampering its damage effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Apply offensive pressure with Feint: when Mega Pinsir's team has offensive initiative, it can heavily punish opposing Protects. This, combined with its ability to prevent opponents from stalling out field conditions, such as Tailwind and rain, makes it a potent threat when its team has the upper hand. In addition, Feint can expose Pokemon with faster Mega Evolutions such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve, as well as breaking Quick Guard and Wide Guard. Feint should also be used to pick off low-health foes, even priority attackers such as Talonflame, as Mega Pinsir's Feint has higher priority than Talonflame's Brave Bird. Use Mega Pinsir's partner and proper positioning to get Mega Pinsir into situations where it can use Return without fear of Electric-type switch-ins or getting KOed before it can move by threats such as Keldeo and Talonflame. Be sure to consider switching Mega Pinsir out when it's not doing anything effective, such as in bad matchups or when it's weakened by Intimidate.

Team Options
========

Mega Pinsir requires heavy support to alleviate its poor matchups. This includes checks to Talonflame such as Thundurus and Landorus-T; checks to Landorus-T such as Azumarill and Deoxys-A; checks to Electric-types, such as Rhyperior and Amoonguss; and Pokemon to take out Aegislash, such as strong Fire-type attackers like Heatran and Blaziken or powerful Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Hoopa-U. Mega Pinsir also benefits heavily from Tailwind support from Zapdos or Suicune, as its Feint stops foes from stalling Tailwind turns with Protect.

On the other hand, Mega Pinsir can supplement a team by removing opposing Fighting-types, clearing the way for Pokemon weak to Fighting-types such as Hydreigon and Heatran. Rain teams in general can appreciate Mega Pinnsir's ability to beat Amoonguss, Kyurem-B, and Ferrothorn in one slot, as these are all common rain checks. Offensive single-target hitters that can take advantage of Feint's ability to break Protect such as Deoxys-A and Belly Drum Azumarill can avoid Protect counterplay with Mega Pinsir discouraging an opponent from protecting their Pokemon. Spread attackers such as Landorus-T and Heatran appreciate Feint breaking Wide Guard. Pokemon with Fake Out like Weavile, Infernape, and Scrafty can complement Feint for good combined pressure while also giving Mega Pinsir room to take out a foe.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Earthquake does very little damage coming from Mega Pinsir, as it is both non-STAB and weakened by spread reduction, but it can KO opposing Heatran. Knock Off helps Mega Pinsir's matchups against Jirachi and Aegislash but sacrifices valuable, powerful Fighting-type coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Many Fire-types threaten Mega Pinsir easily, including Heatran, Volcanion, and Talonflame.

**Electric-type Pokemon**: Electric-types resist Mega Pinsir's Flying-type STAB moves and either resist or take very little damage from Close Combat, such as in the case of Thundurus and Rotom-W.

**Rock-type Coverage**: Rock-type attacks from foes such as Mega Diancie and Landorus-T heavily threaten to OHKO Mega Pinsir. Mega Diancie also resists Flying while taking Close Combat neutrally.

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types that aren't weak to Fighting such as Jirachi, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross easily wall Mega Pinsir's attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: Mega Pinsir is extremely frail and lacks a high enough Speed to make up for it, making it susceptible to faster threats. Threats like Keldeo and Latios, while not possessing a typing advantage, can easily outspeed and KO Mega Pinsir.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Landorus-T and Rotom-W heavily cripple Mega Pinsir's damage output. While it can play around opposing Intimidate to a degree thanks to its base forme's ability Hyper Cutter, it cannot after Mega Evolving.

**Paralysis, Tailwind, and Trick Room**: Similarly to faster Pokemon, speed control in the form of paralysis, Tailwind, or Trick Room significantly hampers Mega Pinsir's offensive potential. In particular, Thundurus and Tailwind users such as Suicune and Zapdos take Mega Pinsir's coverage very easily, while most Trick Room setters have the bulk to survive a Return.

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
HEY MAN PLEASE EMPHASIS THAT THIS MON SUCKS DICK SO WE DON'T HAVE TO REVAMP IT IN LIKE 2 MONTHS

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
I mean I've got 7 different checks and counters sections and I put this

Pinsir struggles to do meaningful damage outside of Flying STABs - Close Combat is a roll to KO Mega Kangaskhan even with Adamant. Being frail with no relevant resists, many neutral STABs will OHKO it, in addition to being brought down by its multiple critical typing weaknesses such as Flying- or Rock-type coverage.
in the overview and like another 1/3rd of the overview is saying it sucks dick compared to Talonflame what else do you want

edit: ty Memoric for comments on Overview I'll get these done within like 5 hours today and then tag you

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
check, you should rewrite or restructure the overview for this. As it stands, your overview makes it sound that Mega Pinsir is half-decent in this metagame when there's not much reason to use it at all. The point of revamping MPinsir in the first place is to make it the general tone of it into something like "hey, as much as possible don't use this"; when the first talking point is "Pinsir-Mega is a unique threat in the Doubles metagame", we kind of failed in that regard as MPinsir then looks decent when it's not. As much as possible, we want the overviews to be as honest and true as possible; while you do have the facts right, the way it was presented is off the mark. We also want the overviews to be great and able to leave an impression as it's the first thing a reader sees when they open up an analysis; what you have atm is only ok imo and looks like you just turned bulletpoints into sentences and called it a day. I recommend following a style similar to the recent Aromatisse revamp, which dealt with the same issue of telling readers that it's only ok.

Also ftr, "unique Flying- and Fighting-type coverage" isn't much of a niche when the things CC covers—Steels mostly—are also dealt with by Flare Blitz from Talonflame. Rotom-W and Tran are the only real things I can think of off the top of my head that MPinsir hits and Talon doesn't. The general coverage between Fire and Fighting is similar to the point where access to CC is not enough to make a strong distinction. The real big thing with MPinsir is that it has access to VERY STRONG spammable Flying STAB and destroys things that don't outrun or resist.

I'll make a complete check once the above is dealt with.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Memoric
boppity boop

I'm hesitant to put a blank statement of outclassed by Talon in most situations but it's honestly pretty fucking close to the mark so I added that plz look that over ty vm

Stratos

Banned deucer.
why is ur overview stressing the flying/fighting part in the first sentence? fighting barely hits anything. pinsir's notable almost entirely because its got really strong flying moves. my first sentence would just be like "pinsir has really strong flying moves but lots of flaws."

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
hmm yeah I see that the thing is from my own experience one of the key aspects of Pinsir wasn't really the strength of the flying stab (which was nice but not really important most of the time. Talon bbird 2hkos most things) but rather the fact that I get to not be afraid of intimidate on a turn (hyper cutter), get fighting stab for hitting kyube/kang/heatran/hydreigon, and feint priority out-priority'ing a weakened talonflame

edit: stratos' comments above have been implemented

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
you're probably gonna get murdered by GP but that's not entirely my problem now

ov: fix the prose mostly, but the structure and facts is hunna emoji

moves: "Feint breaks protect, letting it double as both support for a partner and a high-priority attack." - this sentence is a little off; what i get from this sentence is since it can break tect, it's also a high-prio attack, which is ???. Put the fact that it has prio earlier and its usefulness on the later end.

COMPLETELY SPELL OUT CC

Usage Tips: "Try to bring Pinsir in where it doesn't have to Protect while it Mega Evolves for a higher speed stat, as this potentially sucks away momentum." - you don't have to say this bro, you're basically telling the guy to make "plays" and isn't something fundamental

you also fail to deliberately breaking Guards with Feint. You can also mention Feint being useful for picking off threats, including Talonflame which it outprioritizes.

team options: you're basically just listing shit with little flow. this isn't entirely wrong but this isn't exactly ideal either. try to fix this in a way as you get this to GP; your facts aren't inaccurate or anything so /shrug

oo: "Double-Edge can't be used with feint, but a set of Double-Edge, Earthquake, and Stone Edge can be used to maximize damage and rely on bluffing feint before revealing Double-Edge" - what the fuck? get that shit out of here, i dont want a bad set recommended in any way for an already shitty mon

- "Knock Off helps matchups against Jirachi and Aegislash, but sacrifices one of the main reasons to use Pinsir over Talonflame: its Fighting Coverage." - its fighting coverage isn't a main reason as we already set sometime back then. Knock Off generally provides worse neutral coverage.

c&c: you'd rather not put Keldeo in "Faster Pokemon" bc it can die to Feint lol. Put something like MGross instead or something; repeating mentions is fine as long as it still fits.

it's just "Intimidate" and not "Intimidates"

give examples of things that can para and set TR or TWind

3/3 get this shitmon outta here

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Uhh I did all of this except the Keldeo thing cuz Keld takes like 50 from Feint (which is p sad but yeah) and that's like just as much as landot eq /shrug/

Also Metagross sounds like a good example but Pinsir takes its stabs for like 75% so not really a huge "oh fuck" threat in terms of "this thing will kill me faster than I can move"
I added it to typing adv tho

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 178-210 (65.6 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 162-192 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The point about Knock Off was like Talonflame has fire coverage for Jirachi and Aegislash but I fixed the wording cuz I couldn't figure out how to put that in without being wordy as fuck and it's already in the overview anyways

Also I'm thinking of asking for 3 GP checks cuz I cba to fix the wording when I already wrote it and Idk how to make a list of like 7 different kind of checks sound better without not putting in some examples

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
if u want to get keld picked off through something like that then sure... just put diansy in there instead.

-

also on the Knock Off bit, specify that it's valuable powerful Fighting coverage

Also the job of GP is to check your grammar and stuff like that; they're not here to rewrite your stuff because you're a bum so fix this yourself g

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey girl hey
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
While Mega Pinsir possesses powerful Flying coverage, it faces many pitfalls that prevent it from competing on a the level of other Doubles threats. Although it sports a decent Speed tieroutspeeding base 100sit's held back due to underspeeding critical threats such as Keldeo, Latios, Thundurus, and Mega Diancie. It also faces heavy competition from and loses to Talonflame, which possesses priority and a much better Aegislash matchup while also not taking up a Mega slot, though it lacks but lacking Pinsir's power and relative bulk. In addition, Mega Pinsir struggles to do meaningful damage outside of its Flying-type STAB moves; (ASC) Close Combat is a roll to KO Mega Kangaskhan even with Adamant. Being frail with no relevant resistances, Pinsir is OHKOed by many neutral STAB attacks will OHKO it, in addition to being brought down by its multiple critical typing weaknesses such as to Flying- or and Rock-type coverage. This combination of poor defenses, typing weaknesses, and mediocre speed (for a frail offensive attacker) leaves it outclassed by Talonflame in most situations. However, access to Feint and a very powerful Flying-type STAB move can let it Pinsir take advantage of its offensive pressure while also supporting hard-hitting teammates.

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Return gets boosted by Aerilate, giving it gives Return more damage power and making makes it Flying-type, letting it KO Grass-types kill grasses such as Amoonguss; Flying is also and is a powerful offensive typing in Doubles that is hard to switch into. Feint is a high-priority attack that also breaks Protect, letting it Pinsir act as support for a partner. Close Combat hits Heatran and Mega Kangaskhan super effectively and provides decent neutral coverage for foes that resist Flying, such as Jirachi or and Rotom-Wash. Protect lets Pinisir Mega Evolve safely to a higher Speed, (RC) and can keep it safe while a partner removes an opposing threat on the field.

Set Details
========
252 Attack and 252 Speed EVs maximizes damage output and speed, helping Mega Pinsir function as a hard-hitting physical attacker. While Jolly is used to outspeed maximum speed base 100s and other notable threats such as Landorus (-T?), the damage boost from Adamant can be critical in securing several KOs, such as as well as a roll to KO Mega Kangaskhan. (AP) It also secures the KO on and KO'ing Landorus-T if Intimidate is prevented, (AC) either through coming in after while Landorus-T is on the field out or by taking advantage of Hyper Cutter, which lets Pinsir play around Intimidate in a similar vein as to Clear Body. This lets Mega Pinsir either lead into both without losing Attack or attack on the its Mega Evolve turn it Mega Evolves without fear of an Intimidate switch-in hampering its damage effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Apply offensive pressure with Feint: when Mega Pinsir's team has offensive initiative, it can heavily punish opposing Protects. This, combined with its ability to preventing opponents from stalling out field conditions, such as Tailwind or Rand rain, makes it a potent threat when its team has the upper hand. In addition, Feint can hit slow Pokemon such as Diancie and Metagross low-speed megas as they Mega Evolve to higher speeds such as Mega Diancie or Mega Metagross, exposing them while they're vulnerable, as well as breaking Quick Guard and Wide Guard. Feint should also be used to pick off low-health foes, even priority attackers such as Talonflame, (AC) as Pinsir's Feint has higher priority than Talonflame's Brave Bird. Use your Pinsir's partner and proper positioning to get Pinsir into situations where it can hit use Return without fear of Electric-type switch-ins or getting KOed before it can move by threats such as Keldeo or and Talonflame. Be sure to consider switching Pinsir out when it's not doing anything effective, (AC) such as its in bad matchups or when it's weakened by Intimidate.

Team Options
========

Mega Pinsir requires heavy support to alleviate its poor matchups. This includes Talonflame checks to Talonflame such as Thundurus or and Landorus-T; Lando-T checks to Landorus-T such as spanning from Azumarill to and Deoxys-Attack,; (ASC) checks to Electric-types, such as Rhyperior or and Amoonguss; and Pokemon to take out Aegislash, (AC) such as strong Fire-type attackers like Heatran and Blaziken (Heatran or Blaziken) or powerful Dark-types such as Hydreigon or and Hoopa-Unbound. Pinsir also benefits heavily from Tailwind support such as from Zapdos or Suicune, and its because Feint stops opponents from stalling Tailwind turns with Protect.

On the other hand, Pinsir can supplement a team by removing opposing Fighting-types, clearing the way for Fighting-weak Pokemon such as Hydreigon or and Heatran. Rain teams in general can appreciate a threat that beats Amoonguss, Kyurem-Black, and Ferrothorn in one slot, as these are each all common rain checks. Offensive single-target hitters that like breaking Protect such as Deoxys-Attack or and Belly Drum Azumarill can avoid Protect counterplay with Pinsir discouraging and an opponent from protecting their Pokemon. Spread attackers such as Landorus-Therian or and Heatran appreciate Feint breaking Wide Guard how feint breaks wide guard. Pokemon with Fake Out like (Weavile, Infernape, and Scrafty) can complement take advantage of fake out and Feint for having good combined pressure while also giving Mega Pinsir room to take out an opponent foe.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Earthquake does very little damage coming from Pinsir, as it is both non-STAB and weakened by spread reduction, but it can hit opposing Heatran for more damage than Close Combat, picking up the KO. Knock Off helps Pinsir's matchups against Jirachi and Aegislash, (RC) but sacrifices valuable powerful Fighting-type coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Many Fire-types threaten Pinsir easily, examples including Heatran, Volcanion, and Talonflame.

**Electric-type Pokemon**: Electric-types resist Pinsir's Flying-type STAB move and, while either resisting or taking take very little damage from Close Combat, such as in the case of Thundurus or and Rotom-Wash.

**Rock-type Coverage**: Opposing Rock-type attacks coverage, from foes such as Mega Diancie or and Landorus-Therian, heavily threatens to OHKO Pinsir, while. (AP) Mega Diancie also resists Flying STAB while taking Close Combat neutrally.

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types that aren't weak to Fighting such as Jirachi, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross easily wall Pinsir's attacks coverage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pinsir is extremely frail and lacks a high enough Speed to make up for it, (AC) making it susceptible to faster threats. Other than Mega Diancie, threats like Keldeo and Latios, which, while not possessing a typing advantage, can easily outspeed and KO Pinsir.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Intimidates and Burns--Landorus-Therian or and Rotom-Wash, respectively--heavily cripple Mega Pinsir's damage output. While it can play around opposing Intimidate, (RC) to a degree, (RC) thanks to pre-Mega Evolve its base forme's ability Hyper Cutter, it cannot after Mega Evolving an opposing Intimidate that comes in after Mega Pinsir evolves will cut its damage severely.

**Paralysis, Tailwind, and Trick Room**: (add colon) Similarly to faster Pokemon, speed control in the form of paralysis, Tailwind, or Trick Room significantly hampers Pinsir's offensive potential: when opponents are moving before Pinsir it loses much of its offensive pressure. (seems self explanatory to me) In particular, these threats tend to have very good matchups against Pinsir-Thundurus and Tailwind users such as Suicune and Zapdos take Mega Pinsir's coverage very easily, while most Trick Room setters have the bulk to live survive a Return.

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Hey @P Sqaured
I was implementing this but I'm just kind of confused on the legend... italics is remove, bold is add? I'm p sure that was it

Pretty sure I got everything, double-checked it over again to make sure...

Thanks for the check

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
implemented, Landorus was meant to be just Landorus not LandoT because you need jolly to be faster than 331 which is timid/naive Landorus

thanks for the check n_n

amcheck
add
remove
(comments)
AC = Add comma
RC = Remove comma
[OVERVIEW]
While Mega Pinsir possesses powerful Flying coverage, it faces many pitfalls that prevent it from competing on the level of other Doubles threats. Although it sports a decent Speed tier—outspeeding base 100s—it's held back due to underspeeding critical threats such as Keldeo, Latios, Thundurus, and Mega Diancie. It also faces heavy competition from and loses to (If you mean it loses to Talonflame in the "heavy competition", I would just remove "and loses to" because you do mention the niche of Mega Pinsir's power and bulk. If you mean it loses to Talonflame in a battle, I would reword it as: "loses to and faces heavy competition from" to avoid this confusion.) Talonflame, which possesses priority and a much better Aegislash matchup while also not taking up a Mega slot, though it lacks Mega Pinsir's power and relative bulk. In addition, Mega Pinsir struggles to do meaningful damage outside of its Flying-type STAB moves; Close Combat is a roll to KO Mega Kangaskhan even with an Adamant nature. Being frail and with no relevant resistances, Mega Pinsir is OHKOed by many neutral STAB attacks, in addition to being brought down by its multiple critical weaknesses such as to Flying- and Rock-type coverage. This combination of poor defenses, typing weaknesses, and mediocre Speed (for a frail offensive attacker) leaves it outclassed by Talonflame in most situations. However, access to Feint and a very powerful Flying-type STAB move can let Mega Pinsir take advantage of its offensive pressure while also supporting hard-hitting teammates.

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (Content comment: This can't be right? 4 HP puts Mega Pinsir at an even value, causing it to take a full 50% from Stealth Rock damage. Further, it's also a value divisible by 4, meaning Pinsir takes a full 25%. This should be 4 Def or 4 SpD surely?)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
<Insert line break>
Aerilate gives Return more power and makes it Flying-type, letting it KO Grass-types such as Amoonguss; Flying is also a powerful offensive typing in Doubles that is hard to switch into. Feint is a high-priority attack that also breaks Protect, letting Mega Pinsir support a partner. Close Combat hits Heatran and Mega Kangaskhan super effectively and provides decent neutral coverage for foes that resist Flying, such as Jirachi and Rotom-W. Protect lets Pinisir Pinsir Mega Evolve safely to a higher Speed and can keep it safe while a partner removes an opposing threat on the field.

Set Details
========
<Insert line break>
252 Attack and Speed EVs maximize damage output and Speed, helping Mega Pinsir function as a hard-hitting physical attacker. While a Jolly nature is used to outspeed maximum Speed base 100s and other notable threats such as Landorus, the damage boost from an Adamant nature can be critical in securing several KOs as well as a roll to KO Mega Kangaskhan. It also secures the KO on Landorus-T (Content comment: My calc says Return is a 56.3% to OHKO, which is the same as the roll on Mega Kangaskhan? Unless I'm missing something, this should be changed to say it's a roll. Maybe: "Return will also have a roll to KO Landorus-T..."?) if Intimidate is prevented, either through coming in while Landorus-T is on the field or by taking advantage of Hyper Cutter, which lets Pinsir play around Intimidate in a similar vein to Clear Body. This lets Mega Pinsir either lead into both without losing Attack or attack on the turn it Mega Evolves without fear of an Intimidate switch-in hampering its damage effectiveness.

Usage Tips
========

Apply offensive pressure with Feint: when Mega Pinsir's team has offensive initiative, it can heavily punish opposing Protects. This, combined with its ability to prevent opponents from stalling out field conditions, such as Tailwind and rain, makes it a potent threat when its team has the upper hand. In addition, Feint can hit slower Pokemon megas with slower base formes, (RC) such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve, exposing them while they're vulnerable, as well as breaking break Quick Guard and Wide Guard. Feint should also be used to pick off low-health (Remove hyphen) foes, even priority attackers such as Talonflame, as Mega Pinsir's Feint has higher priority than Talonflame's Brave Bird. Use Mega Pinsir's partner and proper positioning to get Mega Pinsir into situations where it can use Return without fear of Electric-type switch-ins or getting KOed before it can move by threats such as Keldeo and Talonflame. Be sure to consider switching Mega Pinsir out when it's not doing anything effective, (AC) (Keep the comma, you just forgot to remove this from the previous GP) such as in bad matchups or when it's weakened by Intimidate.

Team Options
========

Mega Pinsir requires heavy support to alleviate its poor matchups. This includes checks to Talonflame such as Thundurus and Landorus-T; checks to Landorus-T such as Azumarill and Deoxys-A; checks to Electric-types, such as Rhyperior and Amoonguss; and Pokemon to take out Aegislash, such as strong Fire-type attackers like Heatran and Blaziken or powerful Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Hoopa-U. Mega Pinsir also benefits heavily from Tailwind support from Zapdos or Suicune, and its Feint stops opponents foes from stalling Tailwind turns with Protect.

On the other hand, Mega Pinsir can supplement a team by removing opposing Fighting-types, clearing the way for Fighting-weak Pokemon weak to Fighting-types such as Hydreigon and Heatran. Rain teams in general can appreciate a threat that beats (I would recommend writing this as: "Mega Pinsir's ability to beat" to make it clear the threat you're talking about IS Mega Pinsir.) Amoonguss, Kyurem-B, and Ferrothorn in one slot, as these are all common rain checks. Offensive single-target hitters that like breaking Protect (I'm not experienced in Doubles, but this implies that Deoxys-A and Belly Drum Azumarill are the ones breaking Protect. Consider rewriting as: "can take advantage of Feint's ability to break Protect"?) such as Deoxys-A and Belly Drum Azumarill can avoid Protect counterplay with Mega Pinsir discouraging an opponent from protecting their Pokemon. Spread attackers such as Landorus-T and Heatran appreciate Feint breaking Wide Guard . (Remove space before period) Pokemon with Fake Out like Weavile, Infernape, and Scrafty can complement Feint for good combined pressure while also giving Mega Pinsir room to take out a foe.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Earthquake does very little damage coming from Mega Pinsir, as it is both non-STAB and weakened by spread reduction, but it can hit KO opposing Heatran for more damage than Close Combat, picking up the KO. Knock Off helps Mega Pinsir's matchups against Jirachi and Aegislash but sacrifices valuable, (AC) powerful Fighting-type coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Many Fire-types threaten Mega Pinsir easily, including Heatran, Volcanion, and Talonflame.

**Electric-type Pokemon**: Electric-types resist Mega Pinsir's Flying-type STAB moves and either resist or take very little damage from Close Combat, such as in the case of Thundurus and Rotom-W.

**Rock-type Coverage**: Rock-type attacks from foes such as Mega Diancie and Landorus-T, (RC) heavily threaten to OHKO Mega Pinsir. Mega Diancie also resists Flying while taking Close Combat neutrally.

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Steel-types that aren't weak to Fighting such as Jirachi, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross easily wall Mega Pinsir's attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: Mega Pinsir is extremely frail and lacks a high enough Speed to make up for it, making it susceptible to faster threats. Other than Mega Diancie, Threats like Keldeo and Latios, while not possessing a typing advantage, can easily outspeed and KO Mega Pinsir.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Landorus-T and Rotom-W heavily cripple Mega Pinsir's damage output. While it can play around opposing Intimidate to a degree thanks to its base forme's ability Hyper Cutter, it cannot after Mega Evolving.

**Paralysis, Tailwind, and Trick Room**: Similarly to faster Pokemon, speed control in the form of paralysis, Tailwind, or Trick Room significantly hampers Mega Pinsir's offensive potential. In particular, Thundurus and Tailwind users such as Suicune and Zapdos take Mega Pinsir's coverage very easily, while most Trick Room setters have the bulk to survive a Return.

Pinsir does not refer to Mega Pinsir. Anywhere you want to talk about Mega Pinsir, please use the Mega prefix. I kept a few instances of just Pinsir where I thought appropriate, namely around the areas where you discuss Hyper Cutter and Mega Evolution.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eien Great work! checkmater75 please implement the above check, with a couple more changes from me

set comments said:
Feint is a +2 high-priority attack that also breaks Protect, letting Mega Pinsir support a partner.
Usage tips said:
Feint should also be used to pick off low-health foes, even priority attackers such as Talonflame, as Mega Pinsir's Feint has higher priority than Talonflame's Brave Bird.

2/2

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
implemented, except for this part

In addition, Feint can hit megas with slower base formes, such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve, exposing them while they're vulnerable, as well as breaking Quick Guard and Wide Guard.

which I was told to change to

In addition, Feint can hit slower Pokemon such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve, exposing them while they're vulnerable, as well as break Quick Guard and Wide Guard.

because the point is that they're megas that are in a slower, more vulnerable forme before they mega evolve (particularly diancie) and I just didn't understand why breaking was supposed to be break.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'm not sure about the first part, but break fits instead of breaking because you have a compound sentence. The verb should agree with the subject, in this case "Feint", so that "Feint can break Quick Guard and Wide Guard" still works as a phrase as if the first part of the sentence weren't there.

implemented, except for this part

In addition, Feint can hit megas with slower base formes, such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve, exposing them while they're vulnerable, as well as breaking Quick Guard and Wide Guard.

which I was told to change to

In addition, Feint can hit slower Pokemon such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve, exposing them while they're vulnerable, as well as break Quick Guard and Wide Guard.

because the point is that they're megas that are in a slower, more vulnerable forme before they mega evolve (particularly diancie) and I just didn't understand why breaking was supposed to be break.
Feint is hitting "slower Pokemon as they Mega Evolve", of which Diancie and Metagross are examples. If you want it to be explicitly clear, you can potentially try the wordier: "In addition, Feint can hit Pokemon that are slower before their Mega Evolution such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve..."

Breaking should be break because if you break the sentence up, it becomes:
"In addition, Feint can hit slower Pokemon as they Mega Evolve as well as break Quick Guard and Wide Guard.", which then becomes "In addition, Feint can break Quick Guard and Wide Guard."

Edit: Looks like I got ninja'd on the breaking vs break issue. I hope it's clear now!

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
talked it over in the unofficial discord chat thing after a discussion ended up with

In addition, Feint can expose Pokemon with faster Mega Evolutions such as Diancie and Metagross as they Mega Evolve, as well as breaking Quick Guard and Wide Guard.

bop doot we outta here lgi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)