Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC)

Which is also what made the OoS/OoA linked game impossible on 3DS as well. I wish there was a System Update option that allowed linking VC games (coming soon of course)...

Which is also what made the OoS/OoA linked game impossible on 3DS as well. I wish there was a System Update option that allowed linking VC games (coming soon of course)...
If memory and my research is correct, you can still use the password feature to do this.
(This is why I didn't do a download of Y and why I won't download ORAS. They need to release a feature that allows proper trading between copies on the same 3DS so that you can still get trade based evolutions and exchange items).

Ahh, this game.

Looking back, it's amazing how far ahead of its time it was, compared to the mainline games. It was the first (and still only really) game that let you tackle the Leaders in a non-linear way, it let you rematch anyone (With no requirements. Beat that HGSS) and it even had running way before RSE came out. Sadly completing the album was nigh-impossible unless you got really lucky with Card Pop, another aspect where it was ahead of its time.

If there were a simulator that let you battle people with only the cards that are in this game, I would waste so much time on that.

I just completed the game and was inspired to build a deck that utilized Dodrio's retreat aid ability to the max. The deck turned out surprisingly strong, and might be the best deck I have ever built in this game (including the Blastoise rain deck).

The deck seems nuts.

4 Doduo
4 Dodrio
3 Tentacool
3 Tentacruel
1 lv8 Mew
1 lv23 Mew
2 Mr. Mime
1 Clefairy
1 Clefable
1 Chansey
4 Professor Oak
4 Bill
3 Pokemon Trader
4 Energy Search
2 Energy Removal
1 Computer Search
1 Item Finder
8 Water Energy
8 Psychic Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

The numbers aren't optimal due to card availability, but the deck is very powerful.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Josephvdb You might want to go into a little more detail how the deck is played? I know what most of the cards do, but what are you exploiting with that ability and the like?

It's basically a toolbox deck, that is you find the right pokemon for every situation. It plays similar to the Darkrai deck that retreats for free, except that your goal is to us Mr. Mime against heavy hitters, Mews against evolved Pokemon, Tentacruels to deal with walls, Chansey to act as a wall, and Clefairy/Clefable and Dodrios for revenge killing. Because once you have one Dodrio down retreating is free, you can repeatedly switch into whatever pokemon you need. You find whatever pokemon you need via Pokemon Trader, and so if you have the right tools you become nearly impervious to damage.

It often plays out like this: Poison a Pokemon with Tentacruel, energy removal at key times then switch into Mr. Mime to finish it off. Because Mr. Mime can never really die in one shot, you get to switch into the best response for your opponents next pokemon. Dodrio with some counters on it acts as a great revenge killer, and if left unchecked can wreck some decks.

The deck is really based around the pokepowers, as it features Retreat Aid for easy Retreating, Neutralizing Shield against evolved pokemon, Invisible Shield for attacks over 30 damage, Cowardice against small hitting attacks (as you can sponge 10/20 damage and then return it to your hand, play it again, and then retreat your active pokemon to send out Tentacool again), also utilizing the high health of Chansey to stall.

Bonus points for playing Tentacool, sponging damage, returning it to your hand, and then using Pokemon Trader to look for something you need.

There is a surprising amount of play to the deck, and it is a ton of fun in addition to being really good.

Of course the first step of putting all the cogs together is assembling the Dodrio. Once this is done, then the deck operates smoothly, frustrating your opponent every game.

The only way you really lose is that you deck yourself, so you really have to watch your library. But you really need all that draw in order to find all the parts, as the deck doesn't work if you don't have a full bench really. You need to use most of the pokemon in play, and there are only a few times when you don't have pokemon with energy on them, as you need them all. This is also the reason for the higher energy count (20 with 4 Energy searches).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)