Pokemon Generations: Anime shorts series featuring game highlights from all generations

That makes it even weirder how there's seemingly no Japanese version.
... wait, really? I was putting the odd lip syncing and subpar writing down to being a factor of being a dub; a not-so-great translation coupled with needing to shoehorn english words into the lip movements made for japanese words. If there's no Japanese version then... there's no excuse.

It probably is a dub as it was already mentioned that there are other languages it's dubbed in. We just don't know what happened to the Japanese version. Was it already dubbed but they still want to wait before they release it? Is it something that they only intended to release for western markets? Are the Japanese fans just not interested in something like Generations? We have no idea.

As usual, it's another cliffhanger, just like most of Generations. Also, is Iris voiced by Nika Futterman? Her voice vaguely sounds like Sticks' English voice in Sonic Boom.

I think not using protagonists is the way to go here. The episode was cool BUT it needs to be longer! What we did see was cool and it was nice to see the Gym Leaders doing something since in BW all they do it fight the Sages only (ok, that was what they were doing here but it looked like they were being more helpful).

I think the next episode will either focus on the Unova legends or the conflict between Neo Team Plasma and the "good" Team Plasma, since they seem like logical jumps. They could even call it "The Conflict".

Definitely one of the better episodes in my eyes. I think it's cool how they all came together to fight like that. Why they didn't just all come at once (I guess one at a time makes for more dramatic entrances) or why they only used one pokemon each, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, still cool though.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My engineering-oriented mind is not kind to this episode:
  • How the heck could they manage to build buildings like that around the Elite Four castle without getting discovered? Take the size of the buildings and multiply with 1.5 or so to account for a reduced packing density. That's just the volume of rock they would have to remove from the site to make room for the castle. That means that in addition to their huge, secret construction site, they would need an even larger, secret mass deposit. And don't even get me started on where they would acquire building materials in secret. The hydraulics to jack up the buildings so fast would cost millions of dollars alone, and require a couple swimming pools' worth of hydraulic fluid.
  • The buildings rise so fast out of the ground, and stop rising so abruptly, that the Sages would have been flung off the top, catapult-style.
  • The writers fail acoustics forever. Imagine the sound those buildings make as they rise out of the ground. Now try to hear the voice of an old guy standing on top of a twenty-storey building over that. Heck, even when the buildings are still, the distance is far too large to make meaningful conversation. I doubt Iris would even be able to tell if they were speaking or not.
  • The staircases make no gosh-darn sense at all.
    • Structurally: How the heck can they be created from the top-down like that? Through the powers of Pokémon? I'm looking forward to see the move Staircase Beam being implemented in the games. Though to be fair, the move Simple Beam could be interpreted as creating a bridge, if you know the relevant lingo.
    • Tactically: Why would the Team Plasma members leave the buildings from the near-top levels? Couldn't they have stayed in the lower floors, and attacked the Elite Four castle from ground level without the need for perilous, steep staircases?
    • Structurally again: The staircases are broken by Druddigon's attack, but remain standing even when cut in half.
    • Size-wise: When Druddigon attacks, the broken staircase is shown to be at least several metres wide (1:59). When Liepard leaps the gap, the staircase is barely wider than Liepard is tall - hardly a metre in total (2:11).
    • Tactically again: Why isn't Iris breaking the rest of the staircases? That would lock Team Plasma up in the castle.
  • The dust from the rising buildings would have obstructed the area for hours, if not days afterwards. Iris now has lung cancer.
I'm liking Elesa's comment, though (2:55 or so). Clearly a jab at the writers of the games, where Gym Leaders usually do squat all to stop the evil team.

Something Codraroll's post reminded me of is something that's bugged me throughout this whole series. In Pokemon, there is one thing that is central to the games. You order your Pokemon to attack with a move. You give your Pokemon directions for battle, and tell them exactly what move to use. Even in the anime, you see trainers commanding their Pokemon to use a certain move, so then why, in Generations, does everyone order their Pokemon to "attack"? Realistically, how does this help? How do Pokemon know what move would be optimal, what would be the best move for the situation? Even in important battles, such as Blue's Elite 4 run, it's just "attack". Even when raiding Team Rocket's base, it's just "attack". Here and now, it's just "attack". These are supposed to be based off the games, why is everyone just sitting back, doing nothing and saying "attack" and "attack" alone? Mabye that's why I like The Cavern so much, it shows that no, blindly sending a Pokemon to attack (or in this case, "listen to my command") does actually backfire.

Early on in series they wouldn't command the pokemon to do anything either, they would just shout "insertpokemon'snamehere go!" and the pokemon would do its thing on its own. Just rewatch the 1st season sometime, it's like the anime doesn't even know that Moves are a thing. Also, it never really made much sense how Team Plasma managed to hijack the Pokemon League like that, but it does look cool so there's that. And I don't really think Elesa's line was a jab at anyone since that's word by word of what she said in the games.

Anyway, it was a pretty nice episode imo. The gym leaders standing up to team plasma is legitimately one of the most iconic moments of gen 5, so I'm really not surprised that they dedicated an entire episode to it.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(WATCH HERE)
0:22: So I'm guessing we're going with Black version's events? Personally I always thought Zekrom fit N better than Reshiram for the reason that Zekrom represented ideals which is what N was trying to achieve. Reshiram represents truth so wouldn't that mean everything N and Team Plasma was doing was right if the truth dragon was siding with them?
0:28: Oh no, the Unova League is under siege by Figaro Castle!
1:26: Huh, didn't think the bridges were made via dark energy construction.
2:05: Oh Arceus, Iris's voice... did Team Plasma release helium into the air?
2:26: Iris saved by an Excadrill, a little nod to the main anime?
2:38: A little close there Clay, mind giving Iris's hair some room?
2:54: Geez Elesa, that's brutal. Though not as brutal as what they did to your voice.
3:15: Or as brutal as Brycen. Geez man, I know you're a martial artist (yet your an Ice-type Gym Leader) but this is Pokemon.
3:23: Dead.
3:36: You know I'm just going to stop commenting on their voices, let's just agree they all sound off.
4:04: And since Ghetsis, a man on of the edge of insanity, said it than must mean its true.
4:27: Um, Gym Leaders, are you sure you maybe don't want to send out your other Pokemon to at least join you in your charge? Also I'm not sure what the Gym Leaders other than Brycen and Drayden plan on doing after the charge as I'm pretty sure some of them probably won't be good at hand-to-hand combat.

As everyone's been saying, this either needed to be longer or reworked, preferably both though if I had to pick one I would choose the latter. While seeing N's Castle rise was neat I felt it went on too long due to them having the Sages giving out quotes (which doesn't have much impact as they pretty much make all the Sages look alike with little to no different personalities, its kind of why in BW2 only two Sages return).
This is an alternate take on the Gym Leaders coming in to help the player fight Team Plasma, or at least the sages. However there's a few problems with the changes they did. First, while for what they did removing the player character makes sense, the impact of the scene is a bit lost due to it. In the games the scene was powerful because the Sages were about to gang up on the player when then all the Gym Leaders come in for a big damn heroes moment, saving the player and telling them to go on ahead to deal with Ghetsis and N. Second, the Gym Leaders were going up against the Sages directly, it being assumed they were taking the admin positions thus were stronger than the average grunt so the Gym Leaders were in for a battle. But here the Gym Leaders are just facing an army of grunts while the Sages watch, and we just saw the Gym Leaders were perfectly capable of taking out group of grunts (in the games we had no idea if the Gym Leader's strength were against the Sages).
Also, while it made sense to remove the player, there is someone's absence (or lack of being referenced) that is rather important: Bianca. She was the one who gathered the Gym Leaders, yet here it more sounded the Gym Leaders got together themselves. Its a disservice to Bianca's character as this is one of her greatest moments as well as the Gym Leaders, and it also explained why the Striaton Trio weren't there as she couldn't reach them in time.
Final verdict: stay for the awesomeness of the Gym Leaders coming together to fight the villain team, but don't try comparing it to the games portrayal of the scene.
1. The Chase
2. The Challenger
3. The Lake of Rage
4. The Scoop
5. The Old Chateau
6. The Legacy
7. The Cavern
8. The New World
9. The Uprising
10. The Magma Stone
11. The Reawakening
12. The Adventure
13. The Vision

Tbh I feel like Iris is pretty much replacing the player in that scene. They're both pretty much in the same situation: Team Plasma all ready and set to gang up on them. Why, though? I have no idea. They had no qualms with making Gold & Brandon canon, so I'm at loss here.

0:28: Oh no, the Unova League is under siege by Figaro Castle!
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that haha.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Somehow to me, this doesn't look like N's castle at all, albeit it's meant to be N's castle.
How the staircases emerged was also really weird.

The wise men of Team Plasma also looked the same. They could have added more distinct features onto everyone.

Iris is cute though.

• How the heck could they manage to build buildings like that around the Elite Four castle without getting discovered? Take the size of the buildings and multiply with 1.5 or so to account for a reduced packing density. That's just the volume of rock they would have to remove from the site to make room for the castle. That means that in addition to their huge, secret construction site, they would need an even larger, secret mass deposit. And don't even get me started on where they would acquire building materials in secret. The hydraulics to jack up the buildings so fast would cost millions of dollars alone, and require a couple swimming pools' worth of hydraulic fluid.
  • The buildings rise so fast out of the ground, and stop rising so abruptly, that the Sages would have been flung off the top, catapult-style.
  • The writers fail acoustics forever. Imagine the sound those buildings make as they rise out of the ground. Now try to hear the voice of an old guy standing on top of a twenty-storey building over that. Heck, even when the buildings are still, the distance is far too large to make meaningful conversation. I doubt Iris would even be able to tell if they were speaking or not.
    • Structurally: How the heck can they be created from the top-down like that? Through the powers of Pokémon? I'm looking forward to see the move Staircase Beam being implemented in the games. Though to be fair, the move Simple Beam could be interpreted as creating a bridge, if you know the relevant lingo.
    • Tactically: Why would the Team Plasma members leave the buildings from the near-top levels? Couldn't they have stayed in the lower floors, and attacked the Elite Four castle from ground level without the need for perilous, steep staircases?
    • Structurally again: The staircases are broken by Druddigon's attack, but remain standing even when cut in half.
    • Size-wise: When Druddigon attacks, the broken staircase is shown to be at least several metres wide (1:59). When Liepard leaps the gap, the staircase is barely wider than Liepard is tall - hardly a metre in total (2:11).
    • Tactically again: Why isn't Iris breaking the rest of the staircases? That would lock Team Plasma up in the castle.
  • The dust from the rising buildings would have obstructed the area for hours, if not days afterwards. Iris now has lung cancer.
I'm liking Elesa's comment, though (2:55 or so). Clearly a jab at the writers of the games, where Gym Leaders usually do squat all to stop the evil team.
I mean... like... again, bringing realism into it is a bit ridiculous. Might as well say science fiction shouldn't have sound during space battles because there's no sound in space. It'd make Star Wars much more dull but at least it'd be realistic, right? That's what really matters in a narrative. Unless science or engineering or physics or what have you is an integral part of the story, then it hardly matters. You get physics breaks like this all over every Pokémon series. It's just something you've gotta roll with; if you're watching Pokémon and expecting it to somehow be realistic, then I'm sorry, but you're going to be extremely disappointed no matter what.
Besides, these are all faults the actual games are guilty of as well, so even if saying it's unrealistic was a valid criticism (for the matter of being dramatic and creating a narrative... no, it's really not), then it's more a criticism of the game than Generations.

New episode came in earlier:

This one features OP Liepard.
This episode was a bit of a change of pace, not in a wholly bad way though. It just seemed to lack something, I can't exactly put my ginger on it, but it feels like it didn't have much of a conflict, and the ending was kind of a cliffhanger, but it felt weird. Oh, and Drayden is a complete badass.

Woah.

This reminds me of The Cavern, in that, we see the awesome power of a legendary. Except this time we see it being forcibly controlled to freeze the city. Team Plasma do not fuck around, clearly.

Last edited:
Woah.

This reminds me of The Cavern, in that, we see the awesome power of a legendary. Except this time we see it being forcibly controlled to freeze the city. Team Plasma do not fuck around, clearly.
I didn't really get the awesome feeling in this episode than in the others like The Cavern. Obviously freezing a city is no small feat, but Kyurem seemed lackluster to me. It was just hooked up to a cannon that was used, he didn't really do anything. And the fact that he was trapped and being forced to do things also took away from his perceived power. It might be because I'm not a huge gen 5 fan, but this episode seemed more of a miss than a hit.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that, if they were pressed for an explanation, the writers would give something along the lines that there were several scores of support pokémon, such as alakazam, metagross, dugtrio, and steelix in the background. Claydol, in particular, seems like it would be an apt choice for this job. Given what we know of psychic types, telekinesis is a strong theme for them, and I wouldn't put it past Pokémon to say that the castle was at least constructed elsewhere, then transported underground by a bus of things like onix, steelix, and dugtrio, while trained psychic types maintained the structural integrity, before lifting the structures out of the ground while the ground types refilled the foundation

The stairs, at least, are much easier to explain than the towers. I noticed what you did, too, until I considered the psychic types, which set this whole theory off. After all, we just saw Buck do something similar to this with his Claydol in the episode before this. What if it's psychic types that have been trained to quickly construct and maintain staircases from nearby rubble, for siege purposes like this? It would even explain why the gap became lesser, and why Iris stopped targeting a regenerating obstacle while she was already under assault.

I mean, this is all theory and speculation, and feeble attempt to explain the ridiculous, don't get me wrong. After all, there would be easier ways to do this, like, say, teleporting the army onto the location with a fraction of the work and effort needed. The method they used does provide the intimidation factor, which is important in it's own right, but it wasn't necessarily practical, either. This is fantasy, though, so the writers are generally going to go with dramatic and impactful, rather than simple and subtle. It does make me wonder what a full on war, like World War II scale, would be like with Pokémon involved.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(Watch Here)
0:00: Frozen World? As in the Japanese name of Kyurem's Signature Move, Glaciate? I would say this is a translation oversight but Pokemon Generation doesn't seem to have a Japanese version, so how was this oversight made?
0:39: I don't recall Opelucid City being frozen having been preceded by a Team Plasma invasion.
1:12: Crimson Dragon?
1:18: Dead.
3:27: All's well that ends well, right?
3:29: Dead.
3:41: You consider this a success? I hate to see what a failure looks like.

I really don't have anything to say. Yes, it was cool (haha, ice puns, moving on) seeing this famous scene animated (minus the player and the Shadow Triad) and Drayden's Haxorus going to town on Team (Neo) Plasma, but what else is there besides that? I know what happened, the player character was in Opelucid when it was frozen over. And it's not that much of an alternate take on things as it went as it did in the games.
WaffleTitan says it's missing something and it is: a conclusion. Once again, without the player character it feels like there's going to be no follow-up, Team Plasma got the DNA Splicers, end of story. The ending either needed the player character being sent out to chase after Team Plasma or something like aid & rescue helicopters coming in.
1. The Chase
2. The Challenger
3. The Lake of Rage
4. The Scoop
5. The Old Chateau
6. The Legacy
7. The Cavern
8. The New World
9. The Uprising
10. The Frozen World
11. The Magma Stone
12. The Reawakening
13. The Adventure
14. The Vision

I like this. Ghetsis seems the way he was in the games, and I liked N's moment with Kyurem-W. Kyurem / Zekrom / Reshiram were as cool as they needed to be. I don't really think the ending is as stellar as the two above posts made it out to be.

I think in general I'm getting burned out on Generations. I really enjoyed this series when it came out and solidly did so until about the Gen 4 saga where I started caring less. A lot of these recent episodes seem inferior to the ones before. Looking at the final three episodes about Kalos, it's going to take a lot for me to care about them (as being episodes I want to watch, I'm going to watch them regardless) seeing as I'm holding these episodes to such a high standard now...and the source material for Kalos isn't the greatest. I could see something with Lysandre working and mabye something with Yveltal but honestly, I'm not expecting much now. The series seems to be declining in quality over all. The Cavern / The Scoop were the last episodes I felt I really enjoyed and got into...

These are too damn short.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)