Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time, Darkness and Sky; The BEST MD Games ever

Which one did you get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally, i think these three games were the best Mystery Dungeon games that i have EVER Played. My reasoning to that is because of the awesome Story writing, and the plot twists within said story, And also the Characters, I LOVE the characters in the game, except for the comically evil Team Skull; (Those guys are the worst).

Though i didn't post this forum for me to go "Best game ever" i decided to give out my opinion and i wanted to know about your guy's opinion on the game. What could be improved and all that jazz.

The story is great, which is the worst part about the game and the main reason I prefer the original PMD.

The gameplay style doesn't really work with a linear story. A single loss is very punishing, and can frequently put you in a worse position than you were before. At the same time, the game doesn't go full roguelike and so can't rely on you starting with no items either. The game seems to expect you to spend time resupplying after a loss. This runs into problems when the story places the characters in a position where they don't have the time or place to do that resupply. RT had only a single such segment, where you're given preparation time and repeatable side paths with spare items. Explorers has multiple, including a standout that is a single dungeon with no warning whatsoever and a not great item pool (which I needed to bash my head against a wall for ten levels).

I'd also argue that a tighter story also hinders Explorers as a pokemon game. I often don't prefer starter mons, so I want to be able to play through a game with mons that are my favourite. But, since they're not the main characters in-story, they aren't going to be there when the focus really needs to be on the protagonists. Again, RT still lets you bring one extra to most story missions and gives you full freedom during most postgame quests, while Explorers is much more restrictive about keeping the party to just the two starters.

I beat the game's main story, but never got into the post game. The Mystery Dungeon series was what made me start playing pokemon.
This was the same for me but I guess the planet's paralysis did end up happening in my game because I stopped before beating Dialga. The character interactions are funny and memorable, helping people over Wi-Fi was cool while it lasted, and I liked the gameplay and exploring for the most part (having Torchic and Squirtle in all the story-related water dungeons with Storm Drain Gastrodon absorbing water moves from anywhere was a pain). The management of having multiple party members and dealing with a ton of enemies like in monster houses or some boss fights was interesting, but on the other hand I felt like certain big 1v1 boss battles ended up just being item checks for if you had enough seeds in your inventory, and just frustrated me otherwise when I would just lose the damage race normally and didn't have a party of alternate options to fight with like in Pokemon.

The first time I remember this happened to me was at Groudon, and I ended up exiting the whole dungeon and winning just because I got reviver seeds. The next time this happened was at Primal Dialga when we both got OHKO'd by Roar of Time before even getting in range. It's been a while but I think Roar of Time either pierces Mirror Move or it hits globally and my partner just died which also counts as a game over. I would later try again at around Level 50 with a new Flamethrower+1 and being aware of what IQ did, going through the whole Hidden Land and Temporal Towers and this time I would only get 2HKO'd by Roar of Time, but I still lost for a lack of enough reviver seeds to last the whole fight. Looking up strategies on the internet, apparently the most commonly accepted way to beat Dialga is to just cripple it with status seeds. I guess it has to be this way as there has to be a generic way to win with any starter combination in this kind of game, and it's probably what would have to happen in-universe since you are 2 little mons fighting against an insane god, but it feels like it doesn't really matter what my personal abilities are at that point and it doesn't really make for an epic final battle. Imagine if you could beat something like Cynthia's Garchomp by throwing an item that made it miss every move or get permanently stunned until you damaged it.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Good heavens, you guys. So much for this being a PMD Explorers appreciation thread, huh? I'm not saying some of these posts are inherently right or wrong. It's just that the tone that some of the messages in this thread have feel a little... you know, not positive overall. As for the game itself: Mystery Dungeon is one of those spin-offs that takes a certain kind of person to want to enjoy. Relative to the original game from 2005, Explorers is definitely a great little gem within its series, but like its successors I don't think the game does enough to encourage newer fans to give it a chance- rather, newer fans who aren't traditionally into dungeon crawling RPG titles. The fact is, if Mystery Dungeon isn't the kind of game you like, you're going to get bored of this game really fast, and I think that lack of marketing to compensate has something to do with why the Mystery Dungeon series as a whole only seemed to go downhill for a while after this particular entry.

All of this being said, however, what Explorers lacks in accessibility to a wider audience, it makes up for in sheer charm to the audience that it does have. Factors such as the soundtrack and the character development help set Explorers apart from other Pokémon games, and relative to the other games in the Mystery Dungeon series, the fact that Explorers strikes the best balance between quality and quantity makes it stand out. Compared to it, I'd say SMD doesn't have enough quality, GTI doesn't have enough quantity, and Rescue Team has some of both but not as much as one or the other.

Edit: Adding some more to this post because it felt a little bit short when I first submitted it. My first MD game was Gates to Infinity, and while I still think that game is very underrated, I understand why its inception made so many people appreciate the first few games more. This game has more thorough story development across the board while still keeping a semi-rewarding difficulty curve in its gameplay that feels unfair less often than it feels fair. That's really what it comes down to, also: GTI is just a much easier game to complete in general, especially with things like the removal of the "Belly" mechanic in most dungeons. also axew is overpowered as crap in this game so that's fun

Last edited:
Boy, where do I begin with the Explorers games?

First thing I can say is that it was really refreshing in my Middle/High-School years having a Pokemon game that felt like it took an effort the full way through, as opposed to generally being a coast and then having specific roadblocks or spikes like Whitney's Miltank or Fantina. It's easier to engage with the systems and the story when I have to be at attention throughout instead of turning my brain off and on again for boss fights or cutscenes.

I think one thing this sub-series does really well is taking advantage of the Pokemon themselves as a cast. Realistically speaking, I think Pokemon is more recognizable for the Mons themselves than the majority of human characters, with rare memetic exceptions like Gen 1 Gary or Anime Team Rocket. It also puts a neat spin on the same positions by assigning them to different NPC's between entries, like Chimeco as your Team Assembly in a sort of "nice lady/secretarial" air vs Rescue Team using Wigglytuff as almost a Barney-the-Dinosaur type of "friends!!!" framing to recruitment. In the majority of Pokemon games, mainline or spin-off, the Human cast can be good but still often feel like a necessary element when a lot of the stories still primarily rest on the Pokemon as heavy players like Ranger.

A common issue games like this can run into, as noted, would include item availability during dungeon stretches where you're cut off from the usual Town, but in Mystery Dungeon's case I can't say in my experience this has ever become a serious issue in practice. Even if not always the staple items, supplies are usually in sufficient if not excess supply compared to what I need for a pre-endgame dungeon, so as someone who usually goes into dungeons without a full inventory, I can build a backlog of supplies to replace my stuff with if I go down and lose things, at least long enough to re-establish myself. This on top of such sections of the game typically including Side Paths to each dungeon that are barely 3 floors long, so you can run them indefinitely without needing to invest any resources into the training until you're strong enough to make more headway on an incoming dungeon.

I also just find the games surprisingly replayable despite the linear nature. Besides the obvious elements like different starters or dungeon layouts, aspects can snowball into completely different runs even when sharing stuff, like different dungeon drops or money affecting your options to buy supplies from the shop, maybe Kecleon or a mission gives you access to a really cool TM either for yourself or a teammate you like to bring along, maybe you find some really neat lottery prize or get lucky with juice boosts at Spinda Cafe and the stats help you get over a hump without a ton of dungeon runs. Maybe you find some really good seeds that you want to save for one Boss fight as compared to another, or you just want to vary up the challenge like only using certain moves or not playing too many side missions. There are a lot of ways to tweak the experience of a PMD run that even with two identical starters the playthrough can vary heavily between different attempts.

And of course, I can't heap praise on this game without lauding the story. Something my friends like to reference half-jokingly is that this game is made by Spike-Chunsoft, who they mostly know for very emotionally swerving games like the Nonary games and Dangan-Ronpa. While not to the level I imagine those visual novels can reach, the Mystery Dungeon games are certainly willing to go to much heavier places than the main series games will on average (Sun and Moon are definitely outside the MG norm). Characters frequently commit to wrong or immoral actions that they have to answer for either in Karma (Team Skull get knocked around frequently for their wrong doing) or putting themselves through the ringer (Chatot is more trouble than help as 2nd at the Guild throughout the game, but throws himself against Kabutops and the Omastar brothers with no hesitation for others' sake). Even if the average character isn't a great deal more complex, they're put into much more strenuous situations with higher stakes (global or personal) that give a lot to discuss about what characteristics they do have: Chatot's Brine Cave scene recontextualizes his behavior from a by-the-book Rule Nut to a leader who wants the Apprentices to succeed, even if his strict nature may not always work as well as he hopes.

The story's big scenes also make their claim to the memorability of the game. Most famous is the ending's "Don't Ever Forget" scene, which not only avoids dancing around what is essentially death for the characters, but hammers in the weight of the scene by breaking from a trope of Pokemon (MD or otherwise): the player character distinctly speaks in dialogue for this scene. The concept that for the first and last time, an otherwise silent protagonist has to vocalize their thoughts not just for the partner, but for the player, without any "so you mean..." repeated lines, does a lot to set this moment apart from the rest of the story. Grovyle's return to the future is a similarly heavy emotional scene, dealing not with a character death as is usually downplayed in kids media, but evoking the same emotions and sense of loss by the forced and permanent separation all the same, right down to the contrasting dynamic of the player character knowing the truth while the naive/innocent partner at least thinks Grovyle will at least live to see the good future (even with Sky's Bonus Episode, there's no suggestion the Player or Partner ever learn the Future cast didn't vanish).

I could go on with the story based on some post-game plot lines like those pertaining to Darkrai and the fake dreams he gives the two, but this post has gotten long so I'll save that maybe for another reply or if asked.

Everyone knows that the REAL best games in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spin-off series are the Japan-only Wiiware trilogy. Nothing says "memorable" like most people not even knowing they exist.
FAM I will HAVE YOU KNOW that I am writing a GAMEFAQS GUIDE to Adventure Squad RIGHT NOW

anyway I love pmd forever and ever but I'm a Super fan lmfao

They were cetainly improvements on the first MD game. But my favourite is probably EoT.

The first MD game certainly had a good plot that was suspenceful amd started off interesting. However, at somepoint the pacing becomes far too slow and the player is stuck doing the same missions over and over again without knowing how many you need to do before the story progresses. And the gameplay and missions get repetetive after a while, which just ended up making me get bored of the game for a while.

It's a shame about these issues, as the first MD game was doing brilliant until those issues crept up.

Everyone knows that the REAL best games in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spin-off series are the Japan-only Wiiware trilogy. Nothing says "memorable" like most people not even knowing they exist.
I remember waiting forever for this game to be localized.
I always wanted to use the Pokémon Tower mechanic. :psysad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)