OU Politoed

QC: aim / Jukain / TheEnder
GP: Weebl / frenzyplant

Overview
########

Politoed has a great ability in Drizzle, which allows it to provide great support for rain teams. It has good defenses backed up by a good HP stat. Furthermore, it has decent offensive stats and Speed, as well as modest support movepool with several options it can profit from, such as Toxic, Encore, and Perish Song. However, Politoed has a few downsides. Rain's popularity as a playstyle has decreased because of the weather nerf, which removed weather's ability to remain on the field until replaced, resulting in Politoed's drop in viability. Additionally, Politoed lacks reliable recovery, which limits its longevity as a supportive Pokemon. Lastly, Politoed is weak to Grass- and Electric-type attacks, so Pokemon of those types can easily beat it.

Support
########
name: Support
move 1: Scald
move 2: Toxic / Hypnosis
move 3: Encore
move 4: Rest
ability: Drizzle
item: Damp Rock
evs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Scald is a solid STAB move with good Base Power that is boosted by rain, which Politoed sets up, and has a good chance to burn the foe, which cripples physical attackers. Toxic is another good move that deals increased damage every turn, limiting the longevity of Pokemon without recovery. Hypnosis is another option which can be used in the second moveslot to put foes to sleep, particularly Grass-types that hinder Politoed, but its accuracy isn't very good. Encore is a great move, as it locks the foe into a certain move and is great for crippling sweepers trying to set up as well as defensive Pokemon, forcing them to switch. Rest is used in the fourth moveslot, as it provides recovery for Politoed and allows it to switch in more often to get up rain. A moveslot can also be filled in with Ice Beam, which has decent power, excellent coverage, and allows Politoed to 2HKO most Pokemon weak to it, including Grass-types that it is weak to. A last option is Rain Dance, a move that allows Politoed to set up rain after it has been replaced by another weather or has run out.

Set Details
========

Drizzle is the best ability, as it allows Politoed to set up rain upon switching in. Damp Rock ensures rain lasts 3 turns longer, making it last 8 turns in total. 96 Speed EVs let Politoed outspeed max Speed Azumarill, and lock it into Belly Drum with Encore. The HP EVs let Politoed take less damage from Stealth Rock while also giving a good boost to HP, and the EVs in Special Defense and a Calm nature help it take hits on the switch in better. The EVs in Special Defense can also be invested into Defense along with a Bold nature to allow Politoed to take on Greninja better.

Usage Tips
========

If rain has stopped but is needed for a certain Pokemon to sweep or do its job better, switch Politoed in, as it will summon rain again for 8 turns provided if it still holds a Damp Rock, or use Rain Dance if rain runs out when Politoed is still on the battlefield. Politoed is also a good switch-in to other weather setters, as their weather will be removed and replaced by rain; especially against Mega Charizard Y, which can't reliably use SolarBeam outside of the sun. Try to avoid letting Politoed take a Knock Off, as not having Damp Rock will shorten the length of Politoed's rain by 3 turns. Make sure Politoed uses Scald against physical attackers, as a burn will cripple them, making them much less useful. Toxic is one of the best options against defensive Pokemon and Pokemon that take very little from Scald, such as Water-types, as it will steadily cause them to lose HP every turn, meaning Politoed can take them out pretty quickly. Encore foes on their use of a setup move; this will force them to switch. Afterwards, Politoed can decide to switch out if it can handle the incoming Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Swift Swim users and other Pokemon that profit from rain, such as Mega Swampert, Kingdra, and Tornadus-T, make great partners, as Politoed provides rain, allowing the Swift Swim users to outspeed the whole metagame; also, their Water-type attacks will hit harder and Tornadus-T's Hurricane will have 100% accuracy. Entry hazards setters such as Ferrothorn and Greninja are good, as they both profit from rain, and with entry hazards up, the switches Politoed forces will rack up entry hazard damage on the opponent's team. Pokemon weak to Fire-type attacks, such as Scizor, Breloom, and Metagross, appreciate the rain under which the power of Fire-type moves is halved. Other good partners include those that can beat Electric-types that trouble Politoed, such as Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Mega Swampert. Teammates such as Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T can beat Grass-types that trouble Politoed, so they make great partners too. Last but not least other Pokemon that can set up rain, such as Thundurus and Zapdos, make good partners too, as they can serve as back-up rain setters if Politoed is pressured or has fainted.

Other Options
########

An offensive set along the lines of Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Psychic can be used with an EV spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe and a Modest nature, but it is not worth it because Politoed's main job is to support its teammates with rain, which it can't do as well if has to run an item other than Damp Rock to have enough power to take advantage of this set. Perish Song + Whirlpool is an option to trap and remove Pokemon, but Politoed cannot miss out on its role as a supporter. A Rest + Sleep Talk set can be used too, as it provides recovery for Politoed and the ability to move while asleep, but it uses up two moveslots better dedicated to support moves. Haze is another status option that prevents setup sweepers from doing well, but Encore generally stops them too and has more utility because it stops defensive Pokemon better. An offensive Choice Scarf set is an option which suits Politoed as a revenge killer but reduces the number of rain turns, which is really important for Politoed to do its job well.

Checks & Counters
########

**Latias**: Latias can take any hit Politoed throws at it and deals a lot of damage to Politoed with Psyshock. However, it should be wary of Toxic, which can cripple it.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn threaten Politoed with their STAB attacks and can beat it relatively easily.

**Electric-types**: Powerful Electric-types, such as Magnezone and Thundurus, can beat Politoed quite easily with one of their STAB attacks.

**Other Weather**: Other weather setters such as Tyranitar and Mega Charizard Y can replace the rain with their abilities, preventing Politoed from supporting its teammates with rain.

**Pokemon that Resist Water**: Pokemon with a resistance or an immunity to Water-type moves, such as Keldeo and Gastrodon, can be very threatening to Politoed, though they have to watch out for Toxic.

Last edited:
Real quick give an offensive set a mention in the other options as well as a physically based spread in set details for support
Choice Scarf revengekiller probably explains itself being offensive. But, I did change that into the description. Physically Def isn't really important imo; Scald already 'boosts' Politoed's physical bulk.

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'd mention it's a solid switch in to Zard-Y. Honestly i feel this is the only viable set this gen 1/3

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
menion lati@s in c&c, as they fear nothing besides toxic from toad, and can do heafty damage in return with psyshock.

hp grass should be removed from oo; it hits nothing relevant, really, as gastrodon is really uncommon. you're generally better off clicking scald against most other pokemon, so i don't see the reason one would run it.

hypnosis should be mentioned in moves section, or even slashed with ice beam and rest, as it is one of the better options politoed has to annoy common grass-type switch-ins.

lastly, i think an offensive set /mabye/ is viable enough to warrant its own set. what it lets toed do is 2hko rotom (after sr and some chip damage) and ferro with hydro pump and focus blast respectively, which opens up alot for rain sweepers. the set would look like this (200 spe ev's lets it outspeed defensive rotom-w):

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Psychic
evs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
nature: Modest

i want other qc members opinion on this

Slight nitpick but I don't really think u need to put that calm nature boosts it's special defense by 10%, that's kind of implied. Also when I meant offensive I was referring to a set similar to theenders rather than a choice scarf.

I'm not QC, but I would probably change the wording here in Other Options:

"Perish Song along with Whirlpool is an option to beat off one Pokemon, but isn't worth it as Politoed cannot miss out on its current attacks as a supporter"

Perhaps you meant to say "beat one-off Pokemon?"

menion lati@s in c&c, as they fear nothing besides toxic from toad, and can do heafty damage in return with psyshock.

hp grass should be removed from oo; it hits nothing relevant, really, as gastrodon is really uncommon. you're generally better off clicking scald against most other pokemon, so i don't see the reason one would run it.

hypnosis should be mentioned in moves section, or even slashed with ice beam and rest, as it is one of the better options politoed has to annoy common grass-type switch-ins.

lastly, i think an offensive set /mabye/ is viable enough to warrant its own set. what it lets toed do is 2hko rotom (after sr and some chip damage) and ferro with hydro pump and focus blast respectively, which opens up alot for rain sweepers. the set would look like this (200 spe ev's lets it outspeed defensive rotom-w):

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Psychic
evs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
nature: Modest

i want other qc members opinion on this
Done.

Slight nitpick but I don't really think u need to put that calm nature boosts it's special defense by 10%, that's kind of implied. Also when I meant offensive I was referring to a set similar to theenders rather than a choice scarf.
I don't think this is worth it, actually. Imo, Politoed needs Choice Specs to actually hit very hard. It does have good offensive options, yes, but I think without Specs they lack power. For example, without specs, it fails to OHKO Max Speed T-tar and it outspeeds and just 2HKOes it with Crunch, and actually it fails to 2HKO Rotom after Rocks. ( 252+ SpA Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W in Rain: 109-129 (35.8 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery ) Though it does want to support its teammates with the Damp Rock, so it can't really miss out on that either IMO. Psychic, yeah, really, what important does it hit? Conk is hit harder by Hydro Pump, Breloom by Ice Beam, it onyly really hits Keldeo for more damages, which it even only 2HKOes, and the thing itself OHKOes Politoed with Secret Sword after Rocks, and it also hits Mega-Venusaur for more damage, but that only 3HKOes and can put it to sleep / recover health back. And finally, its STAB moves and Focus Blast are kinda inaccurate, so you can't really depend on that either.

I'm not QC, but I would probably change the wording here in Other Options:

"Perish Song along with Whirlpool is an option to beat off one Pokemon, but isn't worth it as Politoed cannot miss out on its current attacks as a supporter"

Perhaps you meant to say "beat one-off Pokemon?"
I changed this to 'beat a Pokemon', as I meant that.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am not against offensive Politoed, but the defensive variant is usually better so I would just put it in OO. It's just a more consistent rain supporter, which is really the job Politoed is supposed to perform, but the additional power is nice; the mention in OO should recommend a spread with more bulk and include Hypnosis somewhere, though. Rest should really be slashed alone imo because getting more opportunities for Politoed to come in and set up rain just gives the rain sweepers that many more opportunities to come in and punish the opposing team.

As for the EVs, Politoed should run 96 Speed EVs with Encore as this lets it outspeed max Azumarill and Encore the Belly Drum, which is nice because this Pokemon is threatening and is becoming more and more relevant due to the new legality with Knock Off. 248 HP is optimal because Politoed's max HP is divisible by 8, which means it takes more damage from Stealth Rock. It's worth mentioning a spread with more physical bulk as this lets Politoed deal with Greninja extremely well, but Greninja is not exactly the first concern to rain teams so this definitely should not be the main spread.

qc 2/3 if you implement all this

I do not think Talonflame is the best partner for Politoed, as the rain is only detrimental for it. Talonflame needs all of the power it can get, and losing 50% of the power on its Flare Blitz really limits it down to mono-flying coverage, leaving it unable to beat Skarmory, Jirachi, Mega Metagross, and other Steel-types that would otherwise have had a hard time with Talonflame. While Talonflame is usually spamming Brave Bird / U-turn, Talonflame is severely inhibited by the presence of rain, and should not be mentioned as a teammate for Politoed.

I think Hypnosis should have a first slash on the fourth slot. Politoed doesn't stay in for long and shouldn't need weak coverage. Ice Beam on the defensive variant just doesn't do enough on Pokes such as Venusaur, Amoongus, Latias.
Hypnosis is really important as it gives a safe switch in for fragile rain sweepers such as Kabutops and Kingdra. Allows them to switch in without fear of taking a hit or being crippled by a burn or paralysis. It also allows Mega Swampert to come in and freely mega-evolve.
I don't think Ice Beam is more important as a coverage move compared to the utility that Hypnosis allows you to have.

Ice Beam just doesn't do enough damage and Politoed doesn't find any chance to stay in and use it often

Last edited:
I am not against offensive Politoed, but the defensive variant is usually better so I would just put it in OO. It's just a more consistent rain supporter, which is really the job Politoed is supposed to perform, but the additional power is nice; the mention in OO should recommend a spread with more bulk and include Hypnosis somewhere, though. Rest should really be slashed alone imo because getting more opportunities for Politoed to come in and set up rain just gives the rain sweepers that many more opportunities to come in and punish the opposing team.

As for the EVs, Politoed should run 96 Speed EVs with Encore as this lets it outspeed max Azumarill and Encore the Belly Drum, which is nice because this Pokemon is threatening and is becoming more and more relevant due to the new legality with Knock Off. 248 HP is optimal because Politoed's max HP is divisible by 8, which means it takes more damage from Stealth Rock. It's worth mentioning a spread with more physical bulk as this lets Politoed deal with Greninja extremely well, but Greninja is not exactly the first concern to rain teams so this definitely should not be the main spread.

qc 2/3 if you implement all this
I do not think Talonflame is the best partner for Politoed, as the rain is only detrimental for it. Talonflame needs all of the power it can get, and losing 50% of the power on its Flare Blitz really limits it down to mono-flying coverage, leaving it unable to beat Skarmory, Jirachi, Mega Metagross, and other Steel-types that would otherwise have had a hard time with Talonflame. While Talonflame is usually spamming Brave Bird / U-turn, Talonflame is severely inhibited by the presence of rain, and should not be mentioned as a teammate for Politoed.
will edit these rn

e; done, writing now.

I think Hypnosis should have a first slash on the fourth slot. Politoed doesn't stay in for long and shouldn't need weak coverage. Ice Beam on the defensive variant just doesn't do enough on Pokes such as Venusaur, Amoongus, Latias.
Hypnosis is really important as it gives a safe switch in for fragile rain sweepers such as Kabutops and Kingdra. Allows them to switch in without fear of taking a hit or being crippled by a burn or paralysis. It also allows Mega Swampert to come in and freely mega-evolve.
I don't think Ice Beam is more important as a coverage move compared to the utility that Hypnosis allows you to have.

Ice Beam just doesn't do enough damage and Politoed doesn't find any chance to stay in and use it often
Hypnosis has unreliable recovery and Politoed will not stay in into these anyway, even after switch in, because it just cannot hurt them badly. So I'll keep it in moves for now.

E; Written, ready for last check.

Last edited:

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comment)
Overview
########

Politoed has a great ability in Drizzle, (AC) which that allows it to provide function as a great supporter for of rain teams. It has good defenses backed up by a good HP stat. Furthermore, it has decent offensive stats, (AC) and Speed, and a decent modest (Just use some adjective other than decent here.) supportive movepool with several options it can profit from, such as Toxic, Encore, and Perish Song. However, Politoed has a few downpoints downsides. Rain's popularity as a playstyle has decreased because of the weather nerf, which made removed weather's ability to remain on the field until replaced last semi-permanent, and therefore has decided Politoed's drop in viability. Additionally, Politoed lacks reliable recovery, which limits its longevity as a supporter Pokemon. And lastly, Politoed is weak to Grass- and Electric-type attacks, which means these so Pokemon of those types can easily beat it.

Support
########

Moves
========

Scald is a solid STAB move with good Base Power and is boosted by rain, (AC) which Politoed sets up, and has a good chance to get a burn, (AC) which cripples physical attackers, (AC) on the foe opponent, which cripples physical attackers. Toxic is another good move that deals increased damage every turn, which means it limits the staying power limiting the longevity of Pokemon without recovery. (It limits the longevity of all Pokemon, recovery or not.) Hypnosis is another option which can be used in the second moveslot to put opponents foes to sleep, particularly Grass-types that hinder Politoed, but its accuracy isn't very good, however. Encore is a great attack move, as it locks the opponent foe into a certain move and is great for crippling sweepers trying to set up on the setup, as well as defensive Pokemon, forcing them to switch most likely. Rest is used in the fourth moveslot, (AC) as it provides recovery for Politoed, (RC) and allows it to switch in more often to get up rain. A moveslot can also be filled in with Ice Beam, (AC) which has decent power, excellent coverage, and allows Politoed to 2HKO most Pokemon weak to it, including Grass-types that hinder it Politoed. And last, but not least, is Rain Dance, (AC) is another move that can be used to allow a move that allows Politoed to set up rain after it has been replaced by another weather, (RC) or if rain runs has run out.

Set Details
========

Drizzle is the best ability, as it allows Politoed to set up rain on the switch upon switching in. Damp Rock ensures rain lasts 3 turns longer, making it last 8 turns in total. An investment of 96 Speed EVs lets Politoed outspeed max Speed Azumarill, being able to Encore it after the and Encore-lock it into Belly Drum. The other invested HP EVs let Politoed takes less damage from Stealth Rock damage while also giving a good boost to HP, (AC) and the EVs in Special Defense and a Calm nature help it to take hits on the switch in better. The Calm nature backs up the Special Defense to give it a good boost of 10%. (remove space) The EVs in Special Defense can also be invested into physical Defense along with a Bold nature to allow Politoed to take on Greninja better.

Usage Tips
========

Once rain has stopped and it's needed for a certain Pokemon to sweep or do its job better, switch into Politoed, as it will summon rain again for 8 turns, provided it still holds a Damp Rock, or either use Rain Dance if rain runs out while ran when Politoed is still on the battlefield. Politoed is also a good switch-(add hyphen)in to other weather setters, as that their weather will be removed and replaced by rain,; Politoed is an especially good switch-in to and especially against Mega Charizard Y, because it can't hit it which can't reliably use reliably with a SolarBeam Solar Beam outside of the sun after. Try to avoid letting Politoed take a Knock Off, as this it will shorten the durability length of the Politoed's rain by 3 turns. Make sure you use Politoed uses Scald against physical attackers, as the high burn chance will a burn will cripple them, making them way much less useful. Toxic is one of the best options against defensive Pokemon or and Pokemon that take very less little from Scald, such as Water-types, as Toxic it will steadily cause them to lose HP every turn, meaning it Politoed can take them out pretty quickly. Encore the opponent on the set up Encore foes on their use of a setup move; this way it will be forced force them to switch, and then you should either switch out or not, depending if Politoed can take on the Pokemon that's most likely gonna come in. Afterwards, Politoed can decide to switch out if it can handle the incoming Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Swift Swim users or and other Pokemon that profit from rain, such as Mega Swampert, Kingdra, and Tornadus-T, make great partners, as the Rain Politoed provides will allow rain, (AC) allowing the Swift Swim users to outspeed the whole metagame,; also, their Water-type attacks will hit harder and Tornadus-T's Hurricane will have 100% accuracy plus their STAB attacks hit harder too., and Tornadus-T will be allowed to ensure that Hurricane always hits. Pokemon that can set up hazards Entry hazard setters such as Ferrothorn or and Greninja are good, as they both profit from rain, and with entry hazards up, the switches Politoed forces will rack up entry hazard damage on the opponent's team the incoming opponent will be punished when Politoed forced a switch, as well as these both profit of having Rain up. Pokemon weak to Fire-type attacks, such as Scizor, Breloom, (AC) and Metagross, (AC) will appreciate the rain, under which the power of Fire-type moves is halved because of it halving the power of Fire-type attacks. (remove space) Other examples of good partners include are those who can beat Electric-types that trouble Politoed. Ground-types, (AC) such as Excadrill, Mamoswine, (AC) and the aforementioned Mega Swampert are good examples. Teammates such as Mega Pinsir and the aforementioned Tornadus-T that can beat Grass-types that trouble Politoed, so they make great partners too. Last, but not least, other Pokemon that can set up rain aside from Politoed, such as Thundurus-I and Zapdos, make good partners too, as they will can serve as back up Politoed if it has fainted back-up rain setters if Politoed is pressured or has fainted.

Other Options
########

An offensive set along the lines of Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Psychic can be used with an EV spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe and a Modest nature, but is not worth it, (AC) as Politoed's main job is to support its teammates with rain, which it can't do as well if as it has to run another item other than Damp Rock to have enough power to take advantage of this set. Perish Song along with + Whirlpool is an option to beat a trap and remove one Pokemon, but isn't worth it as Politoed cannot miss out on its role current attacks as a supporter. A RestTalk set can be used too, (AC) as it provides recovery for Politoed and the ability to move while asleep, but it uses up two moveslots better dedicated to support moves this means it misses out on one of its supportive moves which it cannot really miss out on. Haze is another status option that prevents setup sweepers from doing well, but Encore generally stops them too, and has more utility because it also stops defensive Pokemon better. (remove space) An offensive Choice Scarf along with an offensive set is an option which suits Politoed as a revenge killer, (RC) but this reduces the amount number of rain turns, which are is really important for Politoed to do its job well.

Checks & Counters
########

**Latias**: Latias can take any hit Politoed throws at it, (RC) and does a lot of damage to Politoed with Psyshock. However, it should be wary of Toxic, (AC) which can cripple it if Politoed uses it against it.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn threaten Politoed with their STAB attacks and can beat it relatively easily.

**Electric-types**: Powerful Electric-types, such as Magnezone and Thundurus-I, (AC) can beat Politoed quite easily with one of their STAB attacks.

**Other Weather**: Other weather users setters, (RC) such as Tyranitar or and Mega Charizard Y can replace the rain with their abilities, and with that, (AC) Politoed fails to support its teammates with rain.

**Water-Resistant Pokemon that Resist Water**: Pokemon with a resistance or immunity to Water-type moves or immunity, such as Keldeo and Gastrodon, can be very threatening to Politoed, though they can be crippled with a have to watch out for Toxic and have to watch out for that.

GP 1/2

Be sure not to overuse the implied restrictive clause, as often the sentence flows better without the omission of "that." Not only that, but you're often misusing it in places where a non-restrictive clause should be used. For example, take this sentence:
Scald is a solid STAB move with good Base Power and is boosted by rain, (AC) which Politoed sets up...
Here, you used two implied restrictive clauses: "move with good Base Power boosted by rain..." and "rain Politoed sets up..." The green in these past two quotes are used for highlighting where you omitted "that." There is a difference between the sentences "The book that is on the table is mine." and "The book, which is on the table, is mine." The first sentence is providing essential information without which the meaning of the sentence changes. Therefore, there are multiple books not on the table, but I am specifying that the book on the table is mine. Very similarly, we have the implied restrictive clause: "The book on the table is mine." You'll see that there's nothing different from the restrictive clause example sentence other than the omission of "that is." This is what you've used many times, and it implies a "that" making it a restrictive clause. The second sentence gives us the non-restrictive clause, which provides additional information. There is only one book we could be talking about, so the fact that the book is currently on the table is simply additional information. Now, back to an actual example of this you've used. You said "solid STAB move with good Base Power boosted by rain..." This implies a "that," marking it as a restrictive clause. Therefore, there must be multiple of Politoed's STAB moves we are talking about, and only Scald fits the criteria you've listed. However, this is not the case, as all of Politoed's STAB moves are boosted by the rain. In addition, Water-type moves are boosted by rain, not specifically rain that Politoed has set up. Sorry for this long-winded and detailed explanation, but I really feel this is an important facet of grammar and should be understood by more people.

Also remember that "opponent" refers to the person you're playing against, and "foe" refers to the Pokemon out on the opponent's side of the field. On a similar note, "you" refers to the person who is/will be battling (the person you are addressing this analysis to), not the Pokemon that person is using. The names of weathers, such as rain and sun, are not capitalized.

Yes, I know "which" can also be used to introduce a restrictive clause, but no need to complicate things; besides, sticking with the traditional "that" for restrictive clauses and "which" for non-restrictive ones is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
thanks. implementing this check on monday. (Sorry I haven't had time! But I will definitely do this tomorrow).

e1; In Progress!

e2; Implemented!

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 Soulblaster :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Politoed has a great ability in Drizzle, which allows it to provide great support for rain teams. It has good defenses backed up by a good HP stat. Furthermore, it has decent offensive stats, (remove comma) and Speed, and as well as a modest supportive movepool with several options it can profit from, such as Toxic, Encore, and Perish Song. However, Politoed has a few downsides. Rain's popularity as a playstyle has decreased because of the weather nerf, which removed weather's ability to remain on the field until replaced, resulting in and therefore has decided Politoed's drop in viability. Additionally, Politoed lacks reliable recovery, which limits its longevity as a supportive Pokemon. AndLastly, Politoed is weak to Grass- and Electric-type attacks, so Pokemon of those types can easily beat it.

Support
########

Moves
========

Scald is a solid STAB move with good Base Power that and is boosted by rain, which Politoed sets up, and has a good chance to get a burn the foe, which cripples physical attackers, on the foe. Toxic is another good move that deals increased damage every turn, limiting the longevity of Pokemon without recovery. Hypnosis is another option which that can be used in the second moveslot to put foes to sleep, particularly Grass-types that hinder Politoed, but its accuracy isn't very good. Encore is a great move, as it locks the foe into a certain move and is great for crippling sweepers trying to set up, (remove comma) as well as defensive Pokemon, forcing them to switch. Rest is used in the fourth moveslot, as it provides recovery for Politoed and allows it to switch in more often to get up rain. A moveslot can also be filled in with Ice Beam, which has decent power, excellent coverage, and allows Politoed to 2HKO most Pokemon weak to it, including Grass-types that it is weak to (repetition) hinder Politoed. And last, but not least, A last option is Rain Dance, a move that allows Politoed to set up rain after it has been replaced by another weather or if rain has run out.

Set Details
========

Drizzle is the best ability, as it allows Politoed to set up rain upon switching in. Damp Rock ensures rain lasts 3 turns longer, making it last 8 turns in total. An investment of 96 Speed EVs lets Politoed outspeed max Speed Azumarill, (remove comma) and Encore-lock it into Belly Drum with Encore. The HP EVs let Politoed take less damage from Stealth Rock while also giving a good boost to HP, and the EVs in Special Defense and a Calm nature help it take hits on the switch in better. The EVs in Special Defense can also be invested into Defense along with a Bold nature to allow Politoed to take on Greninja better.

Usage Tips
========

Once If rain has stopped and its but is needed for a certain Pokemon to sweep or do its job better, switch into Politoed in, as it will summon rain again for 8 turns provided if it still holds a Damp Rock, or use Rain Dance if rain runs out when Politoed is still on the battlefield. Politoed is also a good switch-in to other weather setters, as their weather will be removed and replaced by rain; especially against Mega Charizard Y, which can't reliably use SolarBeam outside of the sun. Try to avoid letting Politoed take a Knock Off, as it not having Damp Rock will shorten the length of Politoed's rain by 3 turns. Make sure Politoed uses Scald against physical attackers, as a burn will cripple them, making them much less useful. Toxic is one of the best options against defensive Pokemon and Pokemon that take very little damage from Scald, such as Water-types, as it will steadily cause them to lose HP every turn, meaning Politoed can take them out pretty quickly. Encore foes upon their use of a setup move; this will force them to switch. Afterwards, Politoed can decide to switch out if it can handle the incoming Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Swift Swim users and other Pokemon that profit from rain, such as Mega Swampert, Kingdra, and Tornadus-T, make great partners, as Politoed provides rain, allowing the Swift Swim users to outspeed the whole metagame; also, their Water-type attacks will hit harder and Tornadus-T's Hurricane will have 100% accuracy. Entry hazards setters such as Ferrothorn and Greninja are good, as they both profit from rain, and with entry hazards up, the switches Politoed forces will rack up entry hazard damage on the opponent's team. Pokemon weak to Fire-type attacks, such as Scizor, Breloom, and Metagross, will appreciate the rain, (comma) under which the power of Fire-type moves is halved. Other good partners include those who that can beat Electric-types that trouble Politoed, such as Excadrill, Mamoswine, (comma) and Mega Swampert. Teammates such as Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T can beat Grass-types that trouble Politoed, so they make great partners too. Last, (remove comma) but not least, (remove comma) other Pokemon that can set up rain, (comma) such as Thundurus and Zapdos, make good partners too, as they can serve as back-up rain setters if Politoed is pressured or has fainted.

Other Options
########

An offensive set along the lines of Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Psychic can be used with an EV spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe and a Modest nature, but it is not worth it, as because Politoed's main job is to support its teammates with rain, which it can't do as well if has to run an item other than Damp Rock to have enough power to take advantage of this set. Perish Song + Whirlpool is an option to trap and remove Pokemon, but Politoed cannot miss out on its role as a supporter. A Rest + Sleep Talk set can be used too, as it provides recovery for Politoed and the ability to move while asleep, but it uses up two moveslots better dedicated to support moves. Haze is another status option that prevents setup sweepers from doing well, but Encore generally stops them too, (remove comma) and has more utility because it also stops defensive Pokemon better. An offensive Choice Scarf set is an option which suits Politoed as a revenge killer but reduces the number of rain turns, which is really important for Politoed to do its job well.

Checks & Counters
########

**Latias**: Latias can take any hit Politoed throws at it and does deals a lot of damage to Politoed with Psyshock. However, it should be wary of Toxic, which can cripple it.

**Electric-types**: Powerful Electric-types, such as Magnezone and Thundurus, can beat Politoed quite easily with one of their STAB attacks.

**Other Weather**: Other weather setters such as Tyranitar and Mega Charizard Y can replace the rain with their abilities, preventing and with that, Politoed fails to from supporting its teammates with rain.

**Pokemon that Resist Water**: Pokemon with a resistance or an immunity to Water-type moves, such as Keldeo and Gastrodon, can be very threatening to Politoed, though they have to watch out for Toxic.

2/2 Soulblaster :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Politoed has a great ability in Drizzle, which allows it to provide great support for rain teams. It has good defenses backed up by a good HP stat. Furthermore, it has decent offensive stats, (remove comma) and Speed, and as well as a modest supportive movepool with several options it can profit from, such as Toxic, Encore, and Perish Song. However, Politoed has a few downsides. Rain's popularity as a playstyle has decreased because of the weather nerf, which removed weather's ability to remain on the field until replaced, resulting in and therefore has decided Politoed's drop in viability. Additionally, Politoed lacks reliable recovery, which limits its longevity as a supportive Pokemon. AndLastly, Politoed is weak to Grass- and Electric-type attacks, so Pokemon of those types can easily beat it.

Support
########

Moves
========

Scald is a solid STAB move with good Base Power that and is boosted by rain, which Politoed sets up, and has a good chance to get a burn the foe, which cripples physical attackers, on the foe. Toxic is another good move that deals increased damage every turn, limiting the longevity of Pokemon without recovery. Hypnosis is another option which that can be used in the second moveslot to put foes to sleep, particularly Grass-types that hinder Politoed, but its accuracy isn't very good. Encore is a great move, as it locks the foe into a certain move and is great for crippling sweepers trying to set up, (remove comma) as well as defensive Pokemon, forcing them to switch. Rest is used in the fourth moveslot, as it provides recovery for Politoed and allows it to switch in more often to get up rain. A moveslot can also be filled in with Ice Beam, which has decent power, excellent coverage, and allows Politoed to 2HKO most Pokemon weak to it, including Grass-types that it is weak to (repetition) hinder Politoed. And last, but not least, A last option is Rain Dance, a move that allows Politoed to set up rain after it has been replaced by another weather or if rain has run out.

Set Details
========

Drizzle is the best ability, as it allows Politoed to set up rain upon switching in. Damp Rock ensures rain lasts 3 turns longer, making it last 8 turns in total. An investment of 96 Speed EVs lets Politoed outspeed max Speed Azumarill, (remove comma) and Encore-lock it into Belly Drum with Encore. The HP EVs let Politoed take less damage from Stealth Rock while also giving a good boost to HP, and the EVs in Special Defense and a Calm nature help it take hits on the switch in better. The EVs in Special Defense can also be invested into Defense along with a Bold nature to allow Politoed to take on Greninja better.

Usage Tips
========

Once If rain has stopped and its but is needed for a certain Pokemon to sweep or do its job better, switch into Politoed in, as it will summon rain again for 8 turns provided if it still holds a Damp Rock, or use Rain Dance if rain runs out when Politoed is still on the battlefield. Politoed is also a good switch-in to other weather setters, as their weather will be removed and replaced by rain; especially against Mega Charizard Y, which can't reliably use SolarBeam outside of the sun. Try to avoid letting Politoed take a Knock Off, as it not having Damp Rock will shorten the length of Politoed's rain by 3 turns. Make sure Politoed uses Scald against physical attackers, as a burn will cripple them, making them much less useful. Toxic is one of the best options against defensive Pokemon and Pokemon that take very little damage from Scald, such as Water-types, as it will steadily cause them to lose HP every turn, meaning Politoed can take them out pretty quickly. Encore foes upon their use of a setup move; this will force them to switch. Afterwards, Politoed can decide to switch out if it can handle the incoming Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Swift Swim users and other Pokemon that profit from rain, such as Mega Swampert, Kingdra, and Tornadus-T, make great partners, as Politoed provides rain, allowing the Swift Swim users to outspeed the whole metagame; also, their Water-type attacks will hit harder and Tornadus-T's Hurricane will have 100% accuracy. Entry hazards setters such as Ferrothorn and Greninja are good, as they both profit from rain, and with entry hazards up, the switches Politoed forces will rack up entry hazard damage on the opponent's team. Pokemon weak to Fire-type attacks, such as Scizor, Breloom, and Metagross, will appreciate the rain, (comma) under which the power of Fire-type moves is halved. Other good partners include those who that can beat Electric-types that trouble Politoed, such as Excadrill, Mamoswine, (comma) and Mega Swampert. Teammates such as Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T can beat Grass-types that trouble Politoed, so they make great partners too. Last, (remove comma) but not least, (remove comma) other Pokemon that can set up rain, (comma) such as Thundurus and Zapdos, make good partners too, as they can serve as back-up rain setters if Politoed is pressured or has fainted.

Other Options
########

An offensive set along the lines of Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Psychic can be used with an EV spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe and a Modest nature, but it is not worth it, as because Politoed's main job is to support its teammates with rain, which it can't do as well if has to run an item other than Damp Rock to have enough power to take advantage of this set. Perish Song + Whirlpool is an option to trap and remove Pokemon, but Politoed cannot miss out on its role as a supporter. A Rest + Sleep Talk set can be used too, as it provides recovery for Politoed and the ability to move while asleep, but it uses up two moveslots better dedicated to support moves. Haze is another status option that prevents setup sweepers from doing well, but Encore generally stops them too, (remove comma) and has more utility because it also stops defensive Pokemon better. An offensive Choice Scarf set is an option which suits Politoed as a revenge killer but reduces the number of rain turns, which is really important for Politoed to do its job well.

Checks & Counters
########

**Latias**: Latias can take any hit Politoed throws at it and does deals a lot of damage to Politoed with Psyshock. However, it should be wary of Toxic, which can cripple it.

**Other Weather**: Other weather setters such as Tyranitar and Mega Charizard Y can replace the rain with their abilities, preventing and with that, Politoed fails to from supporting its teammates with rain.

Implemented! This is ready for upload!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
uploading

edit: this is uploaded, but i will comment that quite a few changes had to be made due to poor wording, mediocre information, or a combination of both.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)