OU Porygon2

Overview
########

Porygon2 is a very quirky Pokemon, but it pulls its weight of 71.6 pounds with virtues in many different roles. It has a decent defensive typing as well as solid coverage to handle many threats effectively. Eviolite gives it sky-high defensive stats, and it has moderately high Special Attack to boot. Trace is a phenomenal walling ability, and with proper switching, it can grant Porygon2 fantastic abilities such as Protean or Intimidate. However, the virtual duck is not without its flaws. Porygon2 has a low Speed stat, is prone to being afflicted by status, and its reliance on Eviolite takes away passive recovery from Leftovers. Porygon2's Normal typing gives it a Ghost immunity, but comes with a weakness to Fighting, one of the most common attacking types in the tier. Overall, Porygon2 is an effective threat both defensively and offensively, especially with its coverage, and is easy to fit into almost any team.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Shadow Ball / Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 4: Recover
ability: Trace
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

BoltBeam provides at least neutral coverage against nearly all opponents, and when backed up by Porygon2's respectable Special Attack, both moves pack quite a punch. Discharge is another potent move that can replace Thunderbolt for the 30% paralysis chance. Shadow Ball helps deal with the many special attackers weak to Ghost-type moves, and hits Aegislash for super effective damage; however, Porygon2 takes significant damage from Aegislash's Sacred Sword. A status move can be used in this slot instead for more stall-oriented needs. Toxic wears down many attackers and walls, while Thunder Wave slows down faster Pokemon so that Porygon2 and other team members outspeed it. Recover is a necessity, as it is Porygon2's only way of regaining HP.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature and the given EV spread maximize Porygon2's ability to take special hits. Eviolite is, as on any set for Porygon2, a necessity because of the bulk it provides. Trace steals your opponent's Ability, which is often helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Porygon2, by virtue of its bulk, can switch into almost any special attacker with ease, even ones as powerful as Mega Charizard Y. Thus, it should be used as a solution for special attackers. It's necessary to use Recover often so Porygon2 doesn't get worn down by powerful attacks, entry hazards, and Toxic. Porygon2 still has the physical bulk to take Psyshocks and weaker physical attacks, but it will be worn down if it does so. Porygon2 can utilize Trace to take advantage of its opponent's ability, allowing it to take STAB attacks from Vaporeon and Houndoom, among others. Heatran's Lava Plume and Gliscor's Toxic, which would otherwise be threatening moves, are also shut down by Trace.

Team Options
========
A spinner such as Excadrill or Defog user such as Mandibuzz, Latias, Zapdos, or Skarmory is recommended to keep entry hazards off the field so as to preserve Porygon2's health. Bulky Pokemon that resist Fighting-type moves such as Landorus-T and Mega Venusaur are also important to handle said Fighting-types. Cleric support from Clefable or Sylveon is much appreciated, as Porygon2 has no way to deal with status. Fairy-types have good synergy with Porygon2, as they can take Fighting-type moves aimed at Porygon2 can easily take most neutral special attacks aimed at them.

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 3: Recover
move 4: Toxic / Thunder Wave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are used because they are reasonably powerful and attain great coverage. Recover is an absolute necessity as it allows Porygon2 to heal itself and stall out poisoned opponents. Either Toxic or Thunder Wave can be used in the last slot; keep in mind that Toxic is generally a better choice because of the passive damage it inflicts. Thunder Wave is helpful for crippling hostile sweepers.

Set Details
========

Trace is the preferred ability, allowing Porygon2 to copy many wonderful abilities. Analytic is another option for increased damage output, but lessens Porygon2's walling capabilities, making Trace a generally superior choice. The given EV spread along with a Bold nature maximizes Porygon2's defenses in order to take on most physical attackers.

Usage Tips
========

This set aims to force switches, deal damage, and spread status. In a pinch, this set can be used as a pivot as well. This set stops mixed Aegislash, Salamence, Haxorus, and Garchomp in their tracks. It is necessary to heal up often, as Porygon2 is outsped by most things. It's not recommended to switch Porygon2 into strong attacks because it can be worn down by hazards and repeated hits very quickly. Porygon2 still has great mixed bulk, so it can still take moderately powerful special attacks from Pokemon such as Nidoking, Keldeo, and Clefable.

Team Options
========

Ghost-types such as Gengar and Aegislash make great teammates for their ability to switch into Fighting-type moves and come out on top. Special walls such as Latias and Sylveon can take strong special attacks aimed at Porygon2. As with the first set, hazard removal is very useful. Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are good examples of hazard removers.
Trick Room Support
########
name: Trick Room Support
move 1: Trick Room
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Recover / Tri Attack / Hidden Power Fire
ability: Trace / Download
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
nature: Quiet
ivs: 0 Spe

Moves
========

Trick Room is self-explanatory. The classic BoltBeam combination provides stellar coverage on most of the metagame. In the last slot, Porygon2 can use either Recover for healing or a powerful STAB Tri Attack. Shadow Ball can also be used here to hit Ghost-types, but it's not recommended. Hidden Power Fire is an excellent coverage move, hitting common Steel-types such as Scizor and Ferrothorn. You may opt to run Recover over either Thunderbolt or Ice Beam and keep HP Fire in the last slot if you want healing and coverage for Steel-types.

Set Details
========

This EV spread neglects defensive investment in exchange for full-on sweeping capabilities, (AC) though Porygon2 is still quite bulky thanks to Eviolite. A Quiet nature along with 0 Speed IVs minimizes Speed and raises Special Attack in order to "outspeed" most Pokemon in Trick Room and to hit as hard as possible. Trace is a great ability, granting it useful abilities such as Intimidate and Levitate. Download is also helpful to improve your chances of sweeping.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 can reliably set up Trick Room for its team, so it should be preserved to do this multiple times. It can also deal good damage under Trick Room, while stomaching many attacks. This is more of a support Pokemon for Trick Room teams, and it can still be used as a sponge for powerful attacks.

Team Options
========

Reuniclus is a solid Trick Room sweeper that works well with Porygon2, tanking Fighting-type moves aimed at Porygon2. Conkeldurr is a fast tank in Trick Room, so it appreciates the support Porygon2 provides. Escavalier has an extremely high Attack stat along with abysmal Speed, making it a great fit. Mega Abomasnow has good bulk and high attacking stats quite slow, but its hail can wear down Porygon2. A few Pokemon that work outside of Trick Room are also necessary, though.

Other Options
########

Porygon2 is such a versatile Pokemon that there isn't much it can't do. The three sets listed are its most popular, but feel free to use any set that fulfills whatever niche you need that Porygon2 can provide. One especially notable alternate move is Foul Play. It provides coverage on Ghost- and Psychic-types, and it is also handy against opponents with high Attack. On defensive sets, Conversion 2 can give Porygon2 useful resistances to moves used by Choice-locked Pokemon. This could also be used on an Analytic sweeper set with BoltBeam and Recover. Psyshock can be replace Thunderbolt or Ice Beam if special tanks such as Conkeldurr are proving a lot of trouble, but this sacrifices the much more useful coverage of Electric- and Ice-type moves as well as some power. Discharge can also be used on any set except Trick Room for the paralysis chance.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-Types**: Offensive Fighting-types are very common in the tier, and are often the best way to deal with Porygon2. Examples include Breloom, Terrakion, Keldeo, and Conkeldurr.

**Taunt**: Taunt prevents Porygon2 from using Recover, status moves, and Trick Room. This prevents Porygon2 from executing its primary function as a tank. Without any form of recovery, Porygon2 must either switch out or hope to survive temporarily without reliable recovery.

**Item Removal**: Porygon2 is absolutely reliant on Eviolite to work in any given situation, and any one of these moves can eliminate its item in an instant. Thus, Porygon2 should not stay in against Pokemon known to commonly run one of these moves.

**Status**: Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are very detrimental to Porygon2, slowly wearing it down so that strong attackers can overwhelm it.

Last edited:

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey dude. (not qc so take this with a grain of salt)

The EVs on the Trick Room set look very awkward and inefficient. There is no point trying to status opponents when Trick Room is up and such teams need to be direct and offensive as possible--you're wasting turns if you have to set up Trick Room in one Pokemon, status and then switch to another. I'd propose a change to 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA with a Quiet nature. I'd also have Download as either the primary or secondary slash as the +1 it provides can make the difference between plenty of OHKO/2HKOs. A change to the following moves will help Porygon2 be the bulky Trick Room setter and attacker that it wants to be.

move 2: Tri Attack / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Ice Beam

BoltBeam makes for excellent coverage and is topped off by either Tri Attack or Hidden Power Fire. The latter of which scores massive damage on Scizor, Ferrothorn and Genesect which otherwise can be very bothersome. Recover is also most likely worth an AC mention. I don't know about the viability of an 'Analytic sweeper' set so I'll leave that up to you. You should keep in mind that due to Porygon2's amazing bulk a more defensive set (without Trick Room) could be worth a slot as well. good luck!

Hey dude. (not qc so take this with a grain of salt)

The EVs on the Trick Room set look very awkward and inefficient. There is no point trying to status opponents when Trick Room is up and such teams need to be direct and offensive as possible--you're wasting turns if you have to set up Trick Room in one Pokemon, status and then switch to another. I'd propose a change to 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA with a Quiet nature. I'd also have Download as either the primary or secondary slash as the +1 it provides can make the difference between plenty of OHKO/2HKOs. A change to the following moves will help Porygon2 be the bulky Trick Room setter and attacker that it wants to be.

move 2: Tri Attack / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Ice Beam

BoltBeam makes for excellent coverage and is topped off by either Tri Attack or Hidden Power Fire. The latter of which scores massive damage on Scizor, Ferrothorn and Genesect which otherwise can be very bothersome. Recover is also most likely worth an AC mention. I don't know about the viability of an 'Analytic sweeper' set so I'll leave that up to you. You should keep in mind that due to Porygon2's amazing bulk a more defensive set (without Trick Room) could be worth a slot as well. good luck!
OK. I haven't really run Trick Room teams at all, so I'll make the support set its own thing in Other Options. Thanks!

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I honestly haven't had too much experience with Porygon2 this generation, but I'm surprised there isn't a mix wall set (I thought that'd be the first set). Unless I'm missing something really obvious I think it deserves it own set.

On the Slow Sweeper set, I don't even think Substitute should even get a Slash. Recover is by far the better option, and the only time I can see Sub being better is to avoid status, but really with no Leftovers and switching into SR / taking other potential residual damage, I really think Recover is the only option here. Download I think is an option as an Ability on the first set for the potential +1 boost, so I'd mention that set somewhere.

As for your teams option, I didn't quite understand.

• Porygon2 is best supported by good physical attackers
  • These can defeat physical defenders, which Porygon has trouble doing.
Porygon2 doesn't have trouble with Physical Walls, because it's a Special attacker, and pairing it with Physical attackers to help with this "weakness" doesn't make too much sense either. I'm not saying they aren't good team mates, I just think you need to explain better.

On the Trick Room set remove Facade. I think I'd rather see Recover slashed somewhere, which allows Porygon2 to set up Trick Room throughout the match.

For the Team Options section I think you should mention Fighting types like Conkeldurr and Terrakion easily force Porygon2 out, which makes bulky Ground and Ghost type Pokemon good partners (Landorus-T, Aegislash, etc).

In the checks and counters section, you've used two bullet points for just Breloom. Instead I'd rather you just say Fighting types in general counter Porygon2 (Breloom, Conk, Terrakion, etc). You could also mention that it's very easy to wear down with passive damage, so Toxic, Sand, and entry hazards can be considered nice ways to deal with Porygon2. Taunt is also a huge problem for Porygon2, so be sure to mention that.

I honestly haven't had too much experience with Porygon2 this generation, but I'm surprised there isn't a mix wall set (I thought that'd be the first set). Unless I'm missing something really obvious I think it deserves it own set.

On the Slow Sweeper set, I don't even think Substitute should even get a Slash. Recover is by far the better option, and the only time I can see Sub being better is to avoid status, but really with no Leftovers and switching into SR / taking other potential residual damage, I really think Recover is the only option here. Download I think is an option as an Ability on the first set for the potential +1 boost, so I'd mention that set somewhere.

As for your teams option, I didn't quite understand.

Porygon2 doesn't have trouble with Physical Walls, because it's a Special attacker, and pairing it with Physical attackers to help with this "weakness" doesn't make too much sense either. I'm not saying they aren't good team mates, I just think you need to explain better.

On the Trick Room set remove Facade. I think I'd rather see Recover slashed somewhere, which allows Porygon2 to set up Trick Room throughout the match.

For the Team Options section I think you should mention Fighting types like Conkeldurr and Terrakion easily force Porygon2 out, which makes bulky Ground and Ghost type Pokemon good partners (Landorus-T, Aegislash, etc).

In the checks and counters section, you've used two bullet points for just Breloom. Instead I'd rather you just say Fighting types in general counter Porygon2 (Breloom, Conk, Terrakion, etc). You could also mention that it's very easy to wear down with passive damage, so Toxic, Sand, and entry hazards can be considered nice ways to deal with Porygon2. Taunt is also a huge problem for Porygon2, so be sure to mention that.
Sure.

JEFLIV

Remove the slow sweeper set and move it to OO, Porygon2 has better things to be doing.

I need you to change the wall set to this:

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Toxic / Thunder Wave
evs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD

Porygon2 is better suited as a specially defensive wall. The SpD EVs prevent you from being 2HKOed by Focus Sash Alakazam's Focus Blast after Stealth Rock, and the Def EVs prevent you from being 2HKOed by Latios's Choice Specs Psyshock after Stealth Rock.

I also need you to change the TR set to this:

Trick Room
########
name: Trick Room
move 4: Recover / Tri Attack
ability: Download / Trace

BoltBeam is mandatory as coverage moves. Recover is a great option because it gives further survivability and is the best option if Porygon2 is planning to be used as a consistent TR setter. However, Tri Attack serves as a strong STAB attack if you wish to use Porygon2 more recklessly and don't mind the loss of healing.

Change the set comments accordingly to reflect these changes for now.

JEFLIV

Remove the slow sweeper set and move it to OO, Porygon2 has better things to be doing.

I need you to change the wall set to this:

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Toxic / Thunder Wave
evs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD

Porygon2 is better suited as a specially defensive wall. The SpD EVs prevent you from being 2HKOed by Focus Sash Alakazam's Focus Blast after Stealth Rock, and the Def EVs prevent you from being 2HKOed by Latios's Choice Specs Psyshock after Stealth Rock.

I also need you to change the TR set to this:

Trick Room
########
name: Trick Room
move 4: Recover / Tri Attack
ability: Download / Trace

BoltBeam is mandatory as coverage moves. Recover is a great option because it gives further survivability and is the best option if Porygon2 is planning to be used as a consistent TR setter. However, Tri Attack serves as a strong STAB attack if you wish to use Porygon2 more recklessly and don't mind the loss of healing.

Change the set comments accordingly to reflect these changes for now.
sure, thanks. the slow sweeper worked in UU, I guess not here.

Not on QC team so apologies if speaking out of turn...

Having used a good amount of Porygon2 this gen, I'm unsure why the wall set is geared towards SpD. It's not as though Specs Latios or Alakazam are super common so far, and I've actually found Porygon more useful in stopping a variety of physical threats. With 252 Def Bold, you practically hard counter Dragonite/Salamence/Garchomp/Gyrados, and comfortably avoid a 2HKO from even Adamant Choice Band Talonflame, something the listed spread cannot do. It does a better job of tanking hits from Azumarill and avoids being OHKOed by anything coming out of +2 Mega Pinsir, both relevant since it has the ability to seriously hurt them. It can even take on Aegislash running the popular Shadow Ball/Shadow sneak/Sacred Sword coverage, though I don't use it to counter the latter. Meanwhile it still has good special bulk, for example you can still switch into Greninja and you don't get trolled by unusual mixed sets coming out of dragons.

I'm not saying physically defensive is superior, it just depends what your team needs, but I think it at least deserves a mention, as it gets in the gen5 analysis.

Not on QC team so apologies if speaking out of turn...

Having used a good amount of Porygon2 this gen, I'm unsure why the wall set is geared towards SpD. It's not as though Specs Latios or Alakazam are super common so far, and I've actually found Porygon more useful in stopping a variety of physical threats. With 252 Def Bold, you practically hard counter Dragonite/Salamence/Garchomp/Gyrados, and comfortably avoid a 2HKO from even Adamant Choice Band Talonflame, something the listed spread cannot do. It does a better job of tanking hits from Azumarill and avoids being OHKOed by anything coming out of +2 Mega Pinsir, both relevant since it has the ability to seriously hurt them. It can even take on Aegislash running the popular Shadow Ball/Shadow sneak/Sacred Sword coverage, though I don't use it to counter the latter. Meanwhile it still has good special bulk, for example you can still switch into Greninja and you don't get trolled by unusual mixed sets coming out of dragons.

I'm not saying physically defensive is superior, it just depends what your team needs, but I think it at least deserves a mention, as it gets in the gen5 analysis.
Very true. I think you're correct, it's just that I noticed trouble from Specs Alakazam on Showdown (and this set was recommended by Fuzznip). Will fix.
Note: Fixed. I won't be able to edit more until New Year's. Sorry.

Last edited:
I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to separate the physically defensive and specially defensive sets, as what they counter are entirely different from each other due to Porygon2's excellent bulk.

And... done. Just to restate, I'm going on a trip. When I get back on the 31st I will fix anything pointed out. Thanks! EDIT: nvm, will be able to edit, only sparingly

Last edited:
If the two wall sets are being split, I'd possibly mention some specifics about what threats each can counter. I've mentioned what I think are the obvious ones for physically defensive, I've never used a specially defensive spread before, but I guess it lets it deal with things like Gengar/Alakazam, as well as switch into Greninja more easily? And possibly more aggressive versions of Thunderus.

Are the SpD Evs on the first set meant for anything specific?

• This set counters physical Aegislash, Salamence, and Haxorus and stops Garchomp in its tracks.
Physical Aegislash would wreck Porygon2 if it packs Sacred Sword -- which it usually does.
Porygon2 is literally a sitting duck against Aegislash if Porygon2 uses Toxic > TWave, since Porygon2's coverage moves barely damage Aegislash at all. Perhaps slashing in Shadow Ball somewhere on the Physically Defensive set might help catch Aegislash on the switch-in (along with other problem pokemon like Gengar or Alakazam that pack Focus Blast). Either way, Porygon2 is not a very reliable counter for Aegislash.

Physical Aegislash would wreck Porygon2 if it packs Sacred Sword -- which it usually does.
Porygon2 is literally a sitting duck against Aegislash if Porygon2 uses Toxic > TWave, since Porygon2's coverage moves barely damage Aegislash at all. Perhaps slashing in Shadow Ball somewhere on the Physically Defensive set might help catch Aegislash on the switch-in (along with other problem pokemon like Gengar or Alakazam that pack Focus Blast). Either way, Porygon2 is not a very reliable counter for Aegislash.
Physical Aegislsh not running Sacred Sword. Corrected.

What physical Aegislash doesn't run Sacred Sword again outside of the more uncommon Autotomize set? o.o
Mention only how it deals with the mixed Aegislash set.

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 96-114 (25.6 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)