[Pre PokeBank] Night of the Lepus

So, I haven't played OU since probably before Black and White 2 came out. OU is played exclusively by wasteoids and crankensteins while NU is populated by the true weedlords and sexhavers, everyone knows this. But OU is actually kinda fun now with no goddamn genies and not a single Politoed in sight, but the point is I don't know shit about teambuilding (the first version of this team had a Clefable on it, for reference), so there are probably a lot of really obvious improvements that I could make (1931 on Showdown currently).

Alan Tudyk (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Rotom Wash is just fantastic in this meta. Having one pokemon that can shut down (Mega) Scizor, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, Talonflame and Gliscor while checking Blaziken is boss as hell. Because all of the pokemon that I want to switch it in on are physically inclined I use the physically bulky spread, with Hidden Power Fire subbing in for Pain Split since it's not available yet. In addition to being my blanket check to a lot of top threats, Rotom also forms a VoltTurn core with Diggersby, being able to deal with the physically bulky pokemon that give it issues while taking the Water and Ice moves aimed at it. VoltTurn is a pretty great strategy at the moment because of how difficult it is to account for the variety of pokemon available in the metagame. HP Fire deals with Mega Scizor, Trevenant and Ferrothorn but I'm considering replacing it with Toxic to help deal with bulkier pokemon.

Crania Dentata (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Mawile has always been one of my favorite pokemon, and its Mega Evolution certainly brings the pain. The mighty Deoxys can't claim to make as many orphans as Mega Mawile can with its obscene base 259 attack stat. Unfortunately, it's not outrunning anything any time soon, so I beefed up its HP stat to let it switch in more easily before it Mega Evolves and to take advantage of its fantastic typing afterward. I tried to use the Swords Dance set, but Mawile's coverage is just too atrocious for me to be able to make it work. Mawile is my check to Mega Gengar and Alakazam because of its ability to comfortably survive any hit before decimating them (I've found that it's often too risky to Sucker Punch first because of Substitute). Mawile's typing complements Rotom's fantastically as well, and because of their bulk and the threat of Sucker Punch I can force a lot of switches to take advantage of Crustle's entry hazards.

Hey, Slab (Crustle) (M) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

My suicide hazard lead. Sturdy and Custap Berry usually guarantees a layer of Stealth Rock and Spikes, unless Crustle survives an attack that does over half without bringing it into Custap range (which happens approximately "all the time"). Honestly, Crustle is the most expendable pokemon on the team, even if it is the best Slab ever. About all it brings to the table is the ability to revenge kill something if hazards aren't up, being able to surprise Espeon with an X-scissor if it tries to be cute, and the coolness factor. Hazards are integral to the team, though, because they help Diggersby secure some KOs, turn Zygarde into one of the most frustrating pokemon to deal with becuase of Coil and Dragon Tail, and punish the other team for switching around my VoltTurn core, and Crustle provides two flavors of hazards while maintaining decent offensive presence.

Snakezilla (Zygarde) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 68 SDef / 192 Spd
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Coil
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail

Motherfuckers can't even handle the power that is SubCoil Zygarde. This dude is surprisingly bulky, able to survive a +2 Excadrill Earthquake before a Coil and murder the shit out of it with its own Earthquake. Since no one else really uses Zygarde, most people aren't prepared for it or even know what it does, so I can pretty reliably set up a Sub on a Blissey or Ferrothorn or something and Coil away. The special bulk means Mega Gengar and Alakazam can't kill me with Dazzling Gleam, and no attack EVs make sure unSTAB Foul Plays can't break my Sub; Zygarde isn't really meant to sweep anyway. The speed EVs outrun Smeargle so I can Sub up before I get Spored. Eathquake is for STAB and Dragon Tail removes Skarmory before it can Whirlwind me, as well as racking up entry hazard damage. The only problems are a complete inability to do anything to Togekiss, and the fact that it may as well not even have an ability (why the fuck doesn't it have Shed Skin this game sucks).

Birchman (Trevenant) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Careful Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

This forest, is growing faster than I can tell... Trevenant is my spin blocker to make sure that Crustle doesn't just die for nothing. I use Trevenant over Aegislash because it has pseudo-reliable recovery in the form of Natural Rest, the ability to absorb status, and the fact that it completely denies Excadrill, Mega Kangaskahn without Crunch, and Breloom from doing anything. It's surprisingly bulky, and Wood Hammer off of 110 base attack even without investment. Also, it's always hilarious getting into a PP stall war with Gliscor that don't carry Ice Fang. However, it loses to Starmie so I either have to play mind games with it or just not send out Crustle until after it's dead, which is a problem.

Powerful Diggersby (Diggersby) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 192 Spd / 252 Atk / 64 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Return
- U-turn

Finally, we have the power that is Choice Scarf Diggersby. X and Y is more or less what would have happened if Gamefreak had outsourced development to smogon, and the fact that the trash rodent you get on route 2 is one of the best revenge killers and cleaners available is particularly evident of this. Aegislash got like three Swords Dances under its belt? That's adorable. This dude just destroys Aegislash with Earthquake, and Return cleans up about anything else late game after a couple switches into Spikes. Wild Charge is there almost exclusively for Skarmory, but I don't think I've ever actually used it, but it's not like Diggersby's movepool is particularly expansive. The speed EVs make sure that I outspeed positive nature base 130's, Mega Gengar specifically.

Major Threats:
- If Trevenant dies, Mega Kangaskahn runs through my team with priority and Earthquake
- Mega Lucario pretty much bends me over no matter what I do
- Although rare, Sableye can really easily prevent me from doing anything and stall me out with Recover and Will-o-Wisp, or kill Trevenant with Foul Play
- No safe switch in for Hydreigon, so I have to wear it down enough for Diggersby to revenge it
- Fuck Mega Gengar

Last edited:
The people above were extremely useful! One with a minor and useless technicality critique and the other with an obviously biased suggestion.

Well, hopefully I can help you out a little bit. First, your team is quite slow. Scarfed diggersby is honestly not that great because the majority of common scarfers already outspeed it. I recommend switching out crustle for greninja. This is because crustle sucks in OU, I'm sorry to say. I love crustle but not too good. Now what greninja does is add speed and special attacking power to your team of which your team has very little of. if you run the life orb set then you have more freedom to change moves and thereby utilize protean to its full potential. However with a scarf you end up outspeeding almost everything from megas to common scarfers. This will also give you a means to revenge kill mega gengar which causes problems for your team.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- U-turn/Spikes

Next I recommend any set for diggersby that's not choice scarf. This mainly applies if you take my previous suggestion. However, I feel like you are not using diggersby to its full potential if you are not using quick attack. If you run banded, life orb, or SD you take full advantage of that STAB priority which after a +2 OHKOs a number of pokemon. The moveset would depend on what you want but unfortunately diggersby's movepool is not that great. This is what I would recommend:

Diggersby (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return/Wild Charge
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

You could run SD life orb and just substitute one move with swords dance. Up to you.

Finally, for your trevenant set I recommend a rest/lum berry set with harvest. This allows you to wake up immediately instead of waiting for the two turns or switching out. 50 percent chance of getting a berry each turn is not bad and will work better I think than a natural cure set. Also, trevenant is generally built for staying in so maybe horn leech instead of wood hammer just to absorb some of that delicious health.

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Rest

And just as a final thought garchomp > zygarde. A better dragon-ground pokemon I feel and it also gets stealth rocks which, if you take my suggestions, becomes non-existent on your team.

These are just a few suggestions and you can take them or leave them. I hope I was at least more helpful than those dumbasses above. Good luck with your team bro!

The people above were extremely useful!
Thanks for the suggestions. This team has actually changed quite a bit since I posted this; it's now:

Alan Tudyk (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Mighty Atlas (Azumarill) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Birchman (Trevenant) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SDef
Careful Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Snakezilla (Zygarde) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 32 SDef / 228 Spd
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Coil
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail

Dschingis Khan (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Free Hugs (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 208 Def / 252 HP / 48 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

It's still really slow, like you said, and Zygarde is pretty much all or nothing (it's either dead weight or causes a rage quit by turn 10), so I'll definitely consider Garchomp and Greninja. Choice Band Diggersby could work over Azumarill, but then I don't have anything that can deal with Goodra or Hydreigon. For Trevenant I prefer leftovers because it means it beats the most common spinner, Excadrill, but I'll defnitely get Horn Leech on there since the only real reason I use Wood Hammer is Starmie, which I still lose to if I switch in on an Ice Beam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)