PS Art/Writing Contest: First Battle

I asked another staff member to post the winners here several hours ago because I was going to sleep and somehow they didn't quite make it to the forums. *deep breath* I apologize for the delay. Without further ado, here are the winners and the prize winner.

Top 3 Entries
-khRAIN's Last Page
-wallcat's The Beginnings of a Rivalry
-The Eevee General's Top Percentage

Prize Winner
-khRAIN's Last Page

Honorable Mention
-jackyflack's I'll Fight With You (disqualified, as there is no clear battle going on and does not meet the theme's requirements. However, all of the judges unanimously loved the entry)

khRAIN, PM me and we can discuss your prize winning privately. SolarisFox, you're free to announce the Art winner. Contact me privately regarding the prize winning as well.

*pets Th!nkPi*
It'll be okay friend. ;w;

Anyways, the winners in the art category:
First of all I'd just like to say, that while we didn't have too many submissions this time, The quality of all the submissions was exceptional and it was a still a really tough call. c:
I'd like to personally think everyone who drew something for this contest because each and every piece was unique and interesting.

Contest winners
First Place: Sir_softalot (84.5)
Second Place: Otter Power (83.5)
Third Place: IceStrategist (83.0)

Honorable Mention
Mystique9091 - who had both a wonderful written concept and artistic piece, but we felt was just a little too reliant on the story to fully express the theme with the image.

Again the scoring was really close on everyone's part, so if you felt that you deserved a winning place, you were likely only a few points behind! I'll provide some short justifications as to why the winners placed where they did:

Sir_softalot's entry, while a bit silly was excellently constructed in how it positioned elements. The first, most noticeable thing in his piece was the Onix, who seemed very daunting as it framed and loomed over the much smaller and obviously terrified Caterpie. Even just the positioning of the Pokemon in the image helped create the emotion of the situation, and the expressions of the characters were simply a secondary factor to help provide more of a story.

Otter Power utilized his comic style very well in this piece very well. He managed to pack emotion of the characters and movement all into one small frame. Additionally he played with the environment in a dynamic way by creating a central lighting effect that the rest of the image was built around, which helped create focus.

IceStrategist had my personal favorite piece for a few reasons. For one, the lighting in this one was exceptional, not just as a way to draw focus in the image, but the shadows that Charmander and Squirtle cast on the walls create a literal foreshadowing. It took the theme at a higher level than just the base point. It wasn't just the the first battle of a pokemon, it was the first of many battles that they would have in the future, and it was all all very atmospheric and smoothly put together. I felt the only part this piece really failed to execute was movement, but that was still pretty good. Overall though, the reason why I liked this piece the most was because I actually got to see him join the art room multiple times, show what he had done, and ask for feedback. It was really cool to see somebody improve by responding to the feedback they got, and I can assure you he put in the work to earn this spot.

Again I just want to thank everyone for participating. I would like to acknowledge now that this was a hard contest from a drawing perspective and I know it scared some people off. So if you even submitted something you're a winner to me, because you really pushed the yourself to do something challenging.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)