Project PU CCAT (Round 6 Nomination Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
scorpdestroyer

Agreeing that we shouldn't make the team too defensive right away, and that carracosta would make a good offensive partner. I like TRC's suggestion too, but I already have a regice +sd serp team @_@ (also I legitimately do think that costa is a bit better of a choice at this point anyway)

TRC

Serperior has nice synergy with Regice as stated. I would of probably chose Carracosta to be honest, but Life Orb is not a good item on him in my opinion. The defensive pokemons are too specific and really narrows down the possible teammates.

Last edited:
TRC

Serperior has nice synergy with Regice as stated. I would of probably chose Carracosta to be honest, but Life Orb is not a good item on him in my opinion. The defensive pokemons are too specific and really narrows sown the possible teammates.
not trying to change your vote, but how on earth is life orb a bad item on carracosta? it's easily its best item, without life orb it's just too lacking in power in my opinion, you lose the ability to do stuff like ohko raichu with aqua jet, you have a chance to not ohko haunter with aqua jet, etc, which is really important. it doesn't really matter that you have less longevity because you only need to take a hit prior to setting up (which carracosta does quite well at thanks to solid rock).

also, let this be a reminder that we will have time to make modifications to sets after we have all 6 of our team members chosen! this means that minor details about the sets should not deter you from voting for them.

Magnemite said:
Something they said
Knowing that we can change the sets, I vote for scorpdestroyer. Secondly, I have a reason that I don't like Life Orb. The point of Shell Smash is to use it, live with Sturdy, and then destroy. With Life Orb, you would live an attack, Shell Smash, then die the next turn.

EDIT: Didn't see Solid Rock...so this is not the Live On One HP, Suicide Set. So Life Orb is fine.

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
scorpdestroyer

Of course we already see a problem with Fighting-types but nothing too major which other Pokemon on the team can't handle. Carracosta can also weaken some walls/OHKO some walls which Regice may struggle with, to then proceed to clean up with some hazard support in the long run. We all know the multiple Tangela that are going to be coming in against Carracosta. There is the risk of Sleep Powder but I think Regice makes a great partner for it being able to take Leaf Storm and Giga Drain with ease and use the opportunity to set up a Rock Polish, knowing Tangela isn't going to want to stay in or predict and then double switch.

252+ SpA Tangela Leaf Storm vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 106-126 (33.3 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 61-73 (19.2 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO

To all people commenting on Life Orb ?_?

scorp and TRC were tied for a while, which is why I haven't updated this in a while.

scorpdestroyer wins this round! thank you all for participating etc etc, round 3 nominations are now open.

Our team so far:

Regice @ Life Orb
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I said to myself I was either going with a bulky Flying-type or Ghost-type to help with the weakness to Fighting-type attacks shown. I then thought...do I really want another Pokemon which is weak to Electric-type attacks and/or Stealth Rock. Decided to go with the Ghost-type; it was then a choice between Gourgeist and Misdreavus but thought about it for a while and decided to go with Gourgeist which unfortunately has more weaknesses however it resists Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type attacks which are aimed at Carracosta, not to mention the immunity to Fighting-type attacks.

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rock Slide
Great Pokemon for spin-blocking which can be useful for a later teammate when hazards are on the opposing side of the field. Has great Speed and Defense allowing it to SubSeed and wear down Pokemon to the point where they'll have to switch or eventually get taken out. Theses worn down Pokemon (from breaking Gourgeist sub) can be low enough in HP to the point where Regice after a Rock Polish can finish them with the combination of hazards. Will-O-Wisp is great for coming in against those opposing Fighting-types such as Throh and Poliwrath and crippling them. Frisk allows Gourgeist to scout what set the opposing Pokemon is running which can prove to be useful in the long run.

The thing that really bothered me is that Gourgeist misses the Speed tie with Ninetales by 1 however using Substitute on the turn it comes in and going for Rock Slide is an option. This means it won't be able to stall it out but allows it to get some damage off before switching. :/

I said to myself I was either going with a bulky Flying-type or Ghost-type to help with the weakness to Fighting-type attacks shown. I then thought...do I really want another Pokemon which is weak to Electric-type attacks and/or Stealth Rock. Decided to go with the Ghost-type; it was then a choice between Gourgeist and Misdreavus but thought about it for a while and decided to go with Gourgeist which unfortunately has more weaknesses however it resists Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type attacks which are aimed at Carracosta, not to mention the immunity to Fighting-type attacks.

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rock Slide
Great Pokemon for spin-blocking which can be useful for a later teammate when hazards are on the opposing side of the field. Has great Speed and Defense allowing it to SubSeed and wear down Pokemon to the point where they'll have to switch or eventually get taken out. Theses worn down Pokemon (from breaking Gourgeist sub) can be low enough in HP to the point where Regice after a Rock Polish can finish them with the combination of hazards. Will-O-Wisp is great for coming in against those opposing Fighting-types such as Throh and Poliwrath and crippling them. Frisk allows Gourgeist to scout what set the opposing Pokemon is running which can prove to be useful in the long run.

The thing that really bothered me is that Gourgeist misses the Speed tie with Ninetales by 1 however using Substitute on the turn it comes in and going for Rock Slide is an option. This means it won't be able to stall it out but allows it to get some damage off before switching. :/
I was in the middle of writing a Gourgeist (XL though) suggestion...
It is a great set, but why Gourgeist-Small? It would seem like a better idea to have a Gourgeist-XL, taking damage much better on the switch in.

Darnell

Respected.
I was in the middle of writing a Gourgeist (XL though) suggestion...
It is a great set, but why Gourgeist-Small? It would seem like a better idea to have a Gourgeist-XL, taking damage much better on the switch in.
XL is fine as well and can still be suggested so go for it. I chose Small because of the same Defense and although it lacks HP it has better Speed to utilize the SubSeed method better.

My favorite PU Pokemon and my favorite set for it, Choice Scarf Scyther:
Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- U-turn
- Knock Off

The team is very weak to Fighting, but that is not a problem because Scyther is 4x resistant to that. Choice Scarf also lets Scyther become a fantastic revenge killer. Scyther can weaken some of Carracosta / Regice's counters with repetitive U-turns so that they weakened enough so that Regice and Carracosta can set up and break through them.

Because of Technician, Aerial Ace and Bug Bite is Scyther's to strongest STAB moves and they have great synergy togeter. U-turn lets Scyther switch out on threats or weaken the enemy. Knock Off is to punish Eviolite or Choice users that dare switch in. The EV spread is to maximize Scyther's offensive power, and Scyther has an odd number of EVs so it can switch in on SR two times.

A Rapid Spinner / Defogger is manditory with Scyther because SR is so common in PU an it takes way half of Scyther's life.

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
View attachment 30753
Gourgeist-Large
@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb

Gourgeist can take care of any Fighting-types that Regice and Carracosta have problems with. It is also a nice spin-blocker, but it must be careful if the spinner is Avalugg as Avalugg can 2HKO Gourgeist with Avalanche.

The ability Frisk can serve a purpose, as it can help to know if an enemy has a Choice-item. Gourgeist can burn any physical attackers, making them near useless. It also the bonus of nice residual damage with Leech Seed, weakening the Pokemon to the point where Regice and Carracosta can break through it. Leftovers and Leech Seed heals Gourgeist 18% of its health every turn, letting Gourgeist stall out and weaken the enemy. Substitute is to avoid any status effects like Toxic which would severely cripple it.

Gourgeist-Large is better for this team in my opinion than Gourgeist-Small because that extra bulk can really help Gourgeist survive some hits. It lets Gourgeist switch in on more Pokemon more times.
You do know that Large is D Rank? I thought you said you was going with XL...

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 30753
Gourgeist-Large
@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb

Gourgeist can take care of any Fighting-types that Regice and Carracosta have problems with. It is also a nice spin-blocker, but it must be careful if the spinner is Avalugg as Avalugg can 2HKO Gourgeist with Avalanche.

The ability Frisk can serve a purpose, as it can help to know if an enemy has a Choice-item. Gourgeist can burn any physical attackers, making them near useless. It also the bonus of nice residual damage with Leech Seed, weakening the Pokemon to the point where Regice and Carracosta can break through it. Leftovers and Leech Seed heals Gourgeist 18% of its health every turn, letting Gourgeist stall out and weaken the enemy. Substitute is to avoid any status effects like Toxic which would severely cripple it.

Gourgeist-Large is better for this team in my opinion than Gourgeist-Small because that extra bulk can really help Gourgeist survive some hits. It lets Gourgeist switch in on more Pokemon more times.
Actually seeing the team so far, one can see its rather slow. Having played with Gourgeist-S a ton I can say that the difference in bulk actually isn't that noticeable and Gourgeist-S can switch in on all the moves its supposed to. The added speed would be more beneficial to this team so far, rather than a little bit of extra bulk.

gourgeist formes are bad, this team has been specified to be offense from the start and for the same reasons pelipper was bad, you're making the team shitty balance for no reason. the following is even better now:

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Aqua Tail

Everyone knows I love Serperior, and I feel like it's a great Regice partner for a number of reasons I'll explain later. For now though, I was thinking of power-boosting sweepers that were underrated, and this came to mind immediately. It differentiates itself from the more common Calm Mind variant with its higher power boost and ability to run Leftovers, stronger STAB move, and stronger and simply better coverage. This set pairs with Regice well, as it lures in a number of answers to both special Serperior and Regice, such as Licklicky and Metang, gets the SD on the switch, and either forces them out or KOes them / dishes out a ton of damage to them. Regice beats Rotom-F so it can't spam Blizzard at Serperior. Serperior lures in SpD Flareon and smashes it with Aqua Tail, making Regice's job much easier. They really have great offensive synergy and I think they're amazing offensive partners.
also make carracosta bulky sr > shell smash.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
gourgeist formes are bad, this team has been specified to be offense from the start and for the same reasons pelipper was bad, you're making the team shitty balance for no reason. the following is even better now:

also make carracosta bulky sr > shell smash.
Umm, I double checked just to make sure, but no where in any of Magnemite's posts were there any specifications about having this team be an entirely offense team. I dont see what the problem is with having a gourgeist form, they aren't bad as you implied, gourgeist small is actually quite good. Nothings wrong with balance.....so can't you not insult other playstyles just because you might not enjoy.

Edit @ below: this really jumped out at me, "you're making the team shitty balance" and was what this was referring to, along with "gourgeist formes are bad". Nothing wrong with having a late game wincon on your balance team like regice. Seeing as this is a community build I dont see why it has to be directed towards an hyper offense team and suggestions that may direct the team towards more of a balance team aren't "bad". If the community wants to build a balance team I don't see what the problem with that is. Also you were quite vague in saying that gourgeist forms with the two chosen mons on more of an offensive team are bad, it was more implied that a playstyle as a whole was bad. And Gourgeist actually synergizes really well with the two chosen mons so idk why you are so against it, even if its not what you originally wanted to do.

Last edited:
Umm, I double checked just to make sure, but no where in any of Magnemite's posts were there any specifications about having this team be an entirely offense team. I dont see what the problem is with having a gourgeist form, they aren't bad as you implied, gourgeist small is actually quite good. Nothings wrong with balance.....so can't you not insult other playstyles just because you might not enjoy.
This isn't what he means, he's saying that a team based around regice should be offensive.

As for making carracosta an SR set, I agree with this, as I realized that regice and carracosta together have terrible synergy with almost every SR setter in PU, and by not having an SR setter this early when we have such bad synergy with most of them we are are just setting ourselves up for trouble later on.

it wasn't in magnemites, it was in mine; i made the nomination for regice and then later after it was picked i specified that i wanted the team to be offense; so many pu teams are made by mashing pu offensive pokemon with random defensive pokemon because no one knows how to build. the implication of a rock polish sweeper is that the team will be offense anyway and with the addition of carracosta balance is out of the question anyway unless you want to make what we have inherently worse; by saying the gourg formes are bad it indicates that the direction of this team in order to make the chosen pokemon more effective, is an offensive direction. "gourgeist small is actually quite good." i didn't say it wasn't, there was an obvious implication that my reasoning for saying it was bad meant it was bad on offense. furthermore "can't you not insult other playstyles just because you might not enjoy" this doesn't make sense but i'm assuming you are accusing me of insulting balance because i don't enjoy using it which is a ridiculous thing to say because you have nothing to justify that; the team is better off as offense, i don't not enjoy balance, and i'm confused how you could get such a wrong deduction from what i was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)