Rain Dance, it has fury! [WiFi/Shoddy]

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
After the SPB3 weather, I had a bit of an urge to build a rain dance team. My dad is against all online games period, and I fear he will stay that way even when I'm 22, made even worse since I'm going to college nearby. However, it just occured to me that I could just use Shoddy in school, there is a period where I usually have computer time to myself. I tried to make a team once but I felt it sucked, so I made an updated version and tested it out on Shoddy. Won me about 4 out of 5 battles last I checked.

Jirachi @ Damp Rock
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/158 Def/100 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Wish
- Thunder

The only good Jirachi around on WiFi is Modest, so I decided to work with that, I'm just wondering how it passed a hack test. The Analysis recommended max HP for the Calm Minder set, and max defense if bold or max SpA if Modest. However, I wanted it to tank just a little bit more, so I went with a messed up set. I am completely open to recommendations to the EV spread, maybe more defense.

This Jirachi basically starts out the team. It sets up a beautiful 8 turn rain dance, providing 100% accurate Thunders with 60% paralysis. Psychic is basic stab. One person recommended Waterpulse over Psychic, although I was unsure, even though the 40% confusion looked nice.

Gyarados is a common lead according to Shoddy stats, and Thunder is a OHKO by 164.58% - 193.49%. They may taunt or dragon dance expecting a different set, then they are pelted by a 70% accurate Thunder. I've only tested a few matches, and no Gyarados yet, but if I recall there where some occasions where this set was a surprise.

Some calculations I did:
Gyrados w Leftovers + 16Atk EV EQ: 41.83% - 49.26%
After Dragon Dance: 62.38% - 73.27%
Tyrannitar max Atk EQ - 78.47% - 92.33%
Garchomp max Atk EQ - OHKO

Maybe more defense gives more survivability. I don't wish to remove Jirachi, little guy is my favorite pokemon, I do accept recommendations on the set though.

Kingdra (♂) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 240 HP/252 SAtk/16 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Dragon Pulse

From what I hear, Kingdra is beast in rain. I went with Modest for more sturdiness with Rain Dance, and HP Electric to ruin Gyarados' day. After a swift swim Kingdra reaches 420 speed, according to the analysis outspeeded choice Porygon-Z. Surf is main stab, and is powered up in rain, and Dragon Pulse is an extra stab for pesky dragons.

Swampert (♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Rain Dance

Another bulky rain dance starter. I had to remove one move for rain dance, so I decided to remove Earthquake, a difficult decision due to stab, but killing Gyrados is nice. Takes hits on the physical side, and sends dragons packing with Avalanche. Rain Dance makes Waterfall a deadly move, and it helps the rest of the team.

I replaced Stone Edge for Earthquake, pokemon that resist rock, ice, and water [ie Poliwrath] make my team cry.

Gyarados (♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP/16 Atk/180 Def/100 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

If you can't beat them, join them. I was in need of physical powerhouses, so someone recommended Gyrados for me. Waterfall was a must, that 1.5x rain boost is best not avoided. After that I had to choose between EQ and Stone Edge, and I picked Stone Edge. Gyrados gets in on random Earthquakes, and Intimidate makes physical sweepers flee. Standard bulkydos.

Blissey (♀) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def/42 SAtk/216 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Everyone uses Blissy, and everyone uses her for a reason. I used the EV spread Goodbar used for the one in his WiFi shop for no reason at all, and like Obi said in the team of his I can no longer find, Blissy needs to be running special defense EVs in this generation. Of course, after some of the nastier hits I've taken, I can see why. Blissy is sturdy enough to set up Rain Dance, and why not abuse Serene Grace and hit with Thunder? Calm Blissys never seem to have Serene Grace, but you never know, I might replace with Ludicolo for WiFi.

Basically, switch in Blissy on any random special sweeper, and wreak havoc. Anyone wanting to kill Swampert with Grass Knot is also free bait for Blissy. If any Gyrados thinks they will get away with Dragon Dancing, they are dead wrong, as Thunder is a OHKO on the standard Bulkydos 100% of the time.

Floatzel (♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 HP/252 Def/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Baton Pass

When you combine 115 base Speed with three of the most game-breaking moves the game has to offer in Taunt, Bulk Up and Baton Pass, it's as if the rest of the numbers and metagame considerations don't even matter.
That pretty much sums things up. Someone suggested it so I thought I might try it out. It bulks up to become a tank, and with Waterfall can deal some damage. However, its main purpose is to Baton pass to Swampert/Gyrados. So far it did little, but that was because I messed up in its usage when it was needed [why didn't I see it was paralyzed, I would have passed sooner..]. It decided the win in a recent match, although it didn't baton pass.

Ideas/comments/hopefully constructive criticism?

Mixdra would REALLY benefit this team and do better than special kingdra. You already have enough bulk and an all-out sweeper would be great. He also gives you another outlet to send bulk ups to. Nothing stops a mixdra with a couple bulk ups, because Surf OHKOs every physical wall in the game anyway.

You may want to give some stealth rock support, and if you really like bulk up floatzel fine, but Choice Band is a monster in the rain with waterfall and aqua jet if you need priority.

You may want to find some way to add a phazer as well. CM Celebi sets up on this team all day, and is the bane of most rain teams (I run one myself and he's always a total bitch).

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I might go with Mixdra. I was thinking of whether I should go with mixed or special Kingdra. The reasons I thought special would work was more bulk and HP Electric, but the fact that I already have enough Bulk is very nice, so I'll go with it. That Bulk up bit sounds like another reason to go with Mixdra.

I was thinking about Stealth Rock support, but I was thinking it wasn't necessary for this kind of team, even though it can stop sashers. I was thinking of putting it in on Swampert, but I didn't want to forgo ANOTHER move. I might try CB Floatzel for a different version of this team, but for this one I'm liking Bulk up.

The best phazers I can think of for this team are Suicune and Swampert. Which of the 3 attack moves on Swampert would be best to sacrifice for roar? Stone Edge?

Edit: Seems many of my pokemon have a weak to pokemon like Poliwrath, resisting Stone Edge and Waterfall. I will replace Stone Edge with EQ on Swampert in the meantime, to reduce it a little in the meantime. Some more attack type variety does good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)