LC Rhyhorn (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Overview
########

Rhyhorn sports good Attack, Defense, and HP. It has great STAB moves and a good movepool to back them up. Rhyhorn also is a complete stop to Fletchling and Zigzagoon, which are both big threats in the metagame. However, Rhyhorn has a bad defensive typing, giving it a 4x weakness to Water- and Grass-type attacks. Rhyhorn also has terrible Special Defense and Speed, and has no recovery outside of the unreliable Rest.

Tank
########
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Blast
move 4: Megahorn / Aqua Tail
item: Eviolite
ability: Lightning Rod
evs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 76 Def / 36 SpD / 76 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Stealth Rock provides great utility and slowly wears down the opponent. Stealth Rock is an ideal move for Rhyhorn because of its enormous physical bulk and the large amount of opportunities Rhyhorn gets to set it up. Earthquake is a primary STAB move that hits most of the tier relatively hard. Rock Blast is the secondary STAB move, and it is used over Stone Edge and Rock Slide because it breaks through Substitute, which is rather common. Megahorn can hit Lileep and Slowpoke, while Drilbur and Hippopotas are hit super effectively by Aqua Tail.

Set Details
========

The EVs, factoring in Eviolite, increase the chance of surviving an Earthquake from Life Orb Drilbur and Life Orb Bunnelby. An Eviolite boosts Rhyhorn's defenses, making its Defense stat extremely high, and also boosts its mediocre Special Defense. Life Orb is an alternate item, but it wears Rhyhorn down and makes it more susceptible to attacks. An Adamant nature helps to maximize Attack. Any ability works, as Rhyhorn can not make use of any them as it lacks recoil moves and doesn't use special attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Rhyhorn forces a lot of switches due to its great defenses and its ability to wall certain Pokemon, so predicting when to use certain attacks or Stealth Rock on a switch is something you should keep an eye out for. Although Rhyhorn's defensive typing isn't great, Rhyhorn can function as a pivot into Choice-locked Pokemon or Pokemon that can't do much to it.

Team Options
========

Chinchou takes most Water-type attacks well for Rhyhorn. Ghost-types such as Gastly can spinblock and switch into Fighting-type moves which threaten Rhyhorn. Foongus resists Grass-, Water-, and Fighting-type moves which can potentially OHKO Rhydon, while Rhyhorn can cover Fire- and Flying-type attacks that threaten Foongus, making it a good partner for a defensive core. Fletchling threatens opposing Grass-types which threaten Rhyhorn.

Other Options
########

Rhyhorn has a bunch of other options at its disposal. Stone Edge can be used over Rock Blast for a higher damage output most of the time, but Stone Edge can't break through Substitute, and the chance to miss is significantly higher. Superpower hits very hard, but lowers Attack and Defense, the two stats Rhyhorn relies on. A more defensive set with Stealth Rock is viable, but is outclassed by Lileep. Rhyhorn has access to the elemental fangs, but they are very weak as they aren't boosted by STAB. Curse is an option to give Rhyhorn better tank-like abilities, but Rhyhorn fails to find the time to set up. Rhyhorn can tank most neutral physical hits well, so Counter is an option to gain some satisfying KOs. Roar works well with Stealth Rock, and slowly wears down the opponent. Rock Polish can be used to let Rhyhorn outspeed most threats, but is outclassed in almost every way by Shell Smash users, which can also hold an Eviolite or Berry Juice.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types OHKO Rhyhorn with their STAB moves and they resist Rhyhorn's Ground-type STAB move, while Rhyhorn cannot do much back.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Omanyte and Tirtouga easily OHKO Rhydon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types, namely Scraggy, can hit non-Eviolite Rhyhorn hard; they also resist Rhyhorn's Rock-type STAB moves.

**Drilbur**: Although Drilbur is 2HKOed on the switch, it can threaten to 2HKO non-Eviolite Rhyhorn with Earthquake and spin away Stealth Rock.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls can usually avoid the 2HKO from Rhyhorn and gradually wear it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muk

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How exactly does Rhyhorn check Pawniard? It doesn't want to switch into any of Pawniard's moves and it's most likely not going to be able to do much if it's taking a big hit on the switch in and another before it can attack. Also, I can understand why you'd have a Life Orb, but the extra damage isn't necessary on the tank set and longevity is key on the Rock Polish set (Eviolite helps to take hits while setting up and you don't have the magic 19 HP).

You have no ability on either set. Also, slash in Stealth Rock on the Tank set in my opinion, because if you come in on something that can't hit Rhyhorn, you can just set up hazards on the switch.

"Gastly counters threats such as Cottonee, Lileep, and Fighting-types who would otherwise stop Rhyhorn right in its tracks." Fighting-types should be excluded, because unless it's a SubDisable Gastly, Knock Off is going to hurt.

"Rhyhorn can only use offensive moves, so attacking is its only option." Not the best statement to make, because it has a decent movepool. Add Roar to Other Options and remove the Endeavor + Focus Sash idea because it's not all that great, especially on a rather bulky Pokemon like Rhyhorn.

In Checks and Counters, instead of just putting Cottonee, put bulky Grass-type Pokemon, because Foongus and Lileep are going to be just as much trouble for Rhyhorn.

How exactly does Rhyhorn check Pawniard? It doesn't want to switch into any of Pawniard's moves and it's most likely not going to be able to do much if it's taking a big hit on the switch in and another before it can attack. Also, I can understand why you'd have a Life Orb, but the extra damage isn't necessary on the tank set and longevity is key on the Rock Polish set (Eviolite helps to take hits while setting up and you don't have the magic 19 HP).

You have no ability on either set. Also, slash in Stealth Rock on the Tank set in my opinion, because if you come in on something that can't hit Rhyhorn, you can just set up hazards on the switch.

"Gastly counters threats such as Cottonee, Lileep, and Fighting-types who would otherwise stop Rhyhorn right in its tracks." Fighting-types should be excluded, because unless it's a SubDisable Gastly, Knock Off is going to hurt.

"Rhyhorn can only use offensive moves, so attacking is its only option." Not the best statement to make, because it has a decent movepool. Add Roar to Other Options and remove the Endeavor + Focus Sash idea because it's not all that great, especially on a rather bulky Pokemon like Rhyhorn.

In Checks and Counters, instead of just putting Cottonee, put bulky Grass-type Pokemon, because Foongus and Lileep are going to be just as much trouble for Rhyhorn.
Yo, thanks for the comments.

I should probably elaborate on Rhyhorn checking Pawniard. In specifics, if it manages to come in safely, Pawniard can't OHKO but is OHKOed. I should remove it though since it's situational.

I'm going to keep LO, since it does get some very important 2HKOs and OHKOs that Eviolite doesn't.

I've done everything else, so I'd like some more QC input on this.

I have no ability on either set because in set details I mentioned how no ability in specific will change anything Rhyhorn does on that set.

doomsday doink

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo, thanks for the comments.

I should probably elaborate on Rhyhorn checking Pawniard. In specifics, if it manages to come in safely, Pawniard can't OHKO but is OHKOed. I should remove it though since it's situational.

I'm going to keep LO, since it does get some very important 2HKOs and OHKOs that Eviolite doesn't.

I've done everything else, so I'd like some more QC input on this.

I have no ability on either set because in set details I mentioned how no ability in specific will change anything Rhyhorn does on that set.
I know that the ability doesnt really matter, but for the sake of transferring the sets over to the Smogon pages, I'm pretty sure you need one included.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What does Megahorn really hit on the first set? Aside from the rare Slowpoke and Lileep, you'll generally be hitting harder with Rock Blast or Earthquake. It has decent power for a neutral move, but I don't think it warrants a place over Stealth Rock in my opinion.

I know that the ability doesnt really matter, but for the sake of transferring the sets over to the Smogon pages, I'm pretty sure you need one included.
Alright, I'll just add rock head :P

What does Megahorn really hit on the first set? Aside from the rare Slowpoke and Lileep, you'll generally be hitting harder with Rock Blast or Earthquake. It has decent power for a neutral move, but I don't think it warrants a place over Stealth Rock in my opinion.
I think it's good enough to warrant a slash, but I'll slash it after SR

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think it's good enough to warrant a slash, but I'll slash it after SR
But why is it good enough? Earthquake hits for 150 Base Power without the STAB and Rock Blast averages around 120; both as powerful as Megahorn. Megahorn has poorer accuracy, however, and it does not hit any relevant threat in the metagame harder than the two aforementioned moves. I think Megahorn should be OO, as its only purpose is hitting rare threats.

But why is it good enough? Earthquake hits for 150 Base Power without the STAB and Rock Blast averages around 120; both as powerful as Megahorn. Megahorn has poorer accuracy, however, and it does not hit any relevant threat in the metagame harder than the two aforementioned moves. I think Megahorn should be OO, as its only purpose is hitting rare threats.
236+ Atk Rhyhorn Megahorn vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 14-18 (51.8 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

236+ Atk Rhyhorn Earthquake vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 9-12 (33.3 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

236+ Atk Rhyhorn Megahorn vs. 228 HP / 220+ Def Eviolite Lileep: 12-16 (46.1 - 61.5%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO

236+ Atk Rhyhorn Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 220+ Def Eviolite Lileep: 7-10 (26.9 - 38.4%) -- 84.5% chance to 3HKO

You miss the 2HKO on Slowpoke switch-ins, and 2HKOs Lileep safely granted it uses one turn to set up Stealth Rock. Lileep is more common than Slowpoke, but getting the 2HKO on both seems pretty relevant.

doomsday doink

236+ Atk Rhyhorn Megahorn vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 14-18 (51.8 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

236+ Atk Rhyhorn Earthquake vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 9-12 (33.3 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

236+ Atk Rhyhorn Megahorn vs. 228 HP / 220+ Def Eviolite Lileep: 12-16 (46.1 - 61.5%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO

236+ Atk Rhyhorn Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 220+ Def Eviolite Lileep: 7-10 (26.9 - 38.4%) -- 84.5% chance to 3HKO

You miss the 2HKO on Slowpoke switch-ins, and 2HKOs Lileep safely granted it uses one turn to set up Stealth Rock. Lileep is more common than Slowpoke, but getting the 2HKO on both seems pretty relevant.
Neither of those are really relevant threats anymore.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Glad to see you contributing :o

Overview:
Sleep Talk doesn't actually provide recovery, only ensuring that Rhyhorn isn't useless while asleep, so it would probably be ok to leave it at "Rest".
I wouldn't say Rhyhorn is outclassed by Drilbur at all, so that line could probably be removed; between Rhyhorn's resistance to Acrobatics, STAB on its Rock-type attacks, significantly greater physical bulk and access to more powerful coverage moves, I feel as if they're actually fairly different. Viability is a different story, of course.

Tank:
I feel as if Stealth Rock needs to have its own moveslot here, given how it's arguably the absolute best move in the game, and Rhyhorn's enormous physical bulk allows it several opportunities to set it up. It looks to me as if Aqua Tail is only really useful against Berry Juice or Life Orb Drilbur, as otherwise, Earthquake gets very similar KOs, so it could probably be replaced. With that being said, Megahorn isn't hugely useful either, so the moves could probably be
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Rock Blast
Megahorn / Aqua Tail
I may be missing something here, but a spread of 76 HP / 236 Atk / 76 Def / 36 SpD / 76 Spe over the current spread will drastically increase Rhyhorn's chances of surviving LO Drilbur and Adamant LO Bunnelby's Earthquakes if Eviolite is held.
I feel as if Rhyhorn is far too slow to utilize Life Orb effectively; on the other hand, Eviolite allows it to actually tank most physical attacks fairly well. As such, Eviolite would do well to be the only item slashed.
Don't forget to update both the Set Details and Usage Tips to reflect these changes.

Rock Polish:
I'm struggling to see substantial merits in using Rock Polish Rhyhorn over Shell Smash sweepers such as Tirtouga and Omanyte, and, to a lesser extent, Dragon Dancers such as Tyrunt and Larvitar; it needs Life Orb to deal noticeable damage, and even with Life Orb, it fails to OHKO most Eviolite holders. Its reliance on Life Orb over Eviolite also negates advantages in being bulkier over Shell Smashers, who are absolutely capable of viably holding Eviolite. I really don't think it deserves a set at all :(

Checks and Counters:
Update this section with the removal of the Rock Polish.
Mention that Grass-types resist Ground-type attacks.
Remove Priority as a counter entirely.
Fighting-types are rarely able to cleanly OHKO Rhyhorn, but mention that they also resist Rock-type attacks.
Add Drilbur, since even though it's 2HKOed by Earthquake, it can still come in on Stealth Rock or Rock Blast, itself threaten to 2HKO with Earthquake, and spin away Stealth Rock.
Add physical walls, who are able to avoid the 2HKO from Rhyhorn if they're not weak to its attacks and gradually wear it down.

You did a nice job here overall, but just for future reference, if you're unsure about anything, don't be afraid to look through other analyses or ask for help n.n
QC 1/3

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
don't suggest water absorb chinchou, cos it's kinda a gimmick, just say water resists like chinchou and grass-types

don't even mention special movepool in OO, it has like 30 SpA, remove that

Levi covered most things though, so 2/3

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Rhyhorn sports good Attack, Defense, and HP stats. It has great Rock- and Ground-type STABs in Little Cup, and has a good movepool to back it up. Rhyhorn also is a complete stop to Fletchling and Zigzagoon, which are both big threats in the metagame. When one sees this, they may question why Rhyhorn isn't seen commonly in the tier. For one However, it Rhydon has a bad defensive typing, giving which gives it a quad 4x weakness to Water- and Grass-type attacks. Rhyhorn also has terrible Special Defense and Speed, and it has no reliable recovery outside of the unreliable Rest.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock provides great utility and slowly wears down the opponent. Stealth Rock is an ideal move for Rhyhorn because of Rhyhorn's enormous physical bulk and the amount of large number of opportunities it Rhyhorn gets to set it up. Earthquake is a primary Ground-type STAB move, and that hits most of the tier relatively hard. Rock Blast is the secondary STAB, and is used over the other Rock-type STAB moves Stone Edge or and Rock Slide because it breaks through Substitute, which is rather common in LC. Megahorn can hits Lileep and Slowpoke, while Aqua Tail hits Drilbur and Hippopotas are hit by Aqua Tail.

Set Details
========

The EVs with an Eviolite (I would think this is implied) increase the chance of surviving an Earthquake from Life Orb Drilbur and the chance of Earthquake from Life Orb Bunnelby. An Eviolite boosts Rhyhorn's defenses, making its Defense stat almost impassable without a super-effective attack and boosting its mediocre Special Defense and raising its Defense stat to nearly impassable levels. A Life Orb is an alternate item, but it wears down Rhyhorn and makes Rhyhorn more susceptible to attacks. An Adamant nature helps maximizes Attack. Any ability works, as Rhyhorn cannot (remove space) make use of any them as either because it lacks recoil moves and is already immune to Electric-type attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Rhyhorn forces a lot of switches due to its great defenses and ability to wall certain Pokemon, so you should using prediction when to useing certain the appropriate coverage attacks or using Stealth Rock on a switch is something you should keep an eye out for. Although Rhyhorn's defensive typing isn't great, Rhyhorn can function as a pivot into choice-locked users or Pokemon that can't do much to it.

Team Options
========

Chinchou easily takes most Water-type attacks well for Rhyhorn. Ghost-types such as Gastly can both spinblock and switch into Fighting-type moves that threaten Rhyhorn. Foongus resists the Grass-, Water-, and Fighting-type moves that can potentially OHKO Rhydon, while Rhydon can cover the Fire- and Flying-type attacks that threaten Foongus, making it Foongus a good partner for a defensive core. Fletchling threatens opposing Grass-types. Lastly, Stealth Rock can be used to help Rhyhorn hit harder. (Rhyhorn sets Stealth Rock, though?)

Other Options
########

Rhyhorn has a bunch of many other options at its disposal. Stone Edge can be used over Rock Blast for a higher damage output most of the time, but Rhyhorn Stone Edge can't break through Substitutes, and the its chance to miss is significantly higher. Superpower hits very hard, but lowers Attack and Defense, the two stats Rhyhorn relies on. A more defensive set with Stealth Rock is viable, but is outclassed by Lileep. Rhyhorn has access to the elemental fangs, but they are very weak as they aren't boosted by STAB. (even if they were boosted by STAB they'd still be pretty weak) Curse is an option to give allow Rhyhorn to better function as a tank-like abilities, but Rhyhorn fails to find the time to set up. Rhyhorn can tank most neutral physical hits well, so Counter is an option to gain some satisfying secure some KOs. Roar works well with Stealth Rock, and to slowly wears down the opponent. Rock Polish can be used to let Rhyhorn outspeed most threats, but Rock Polish Rhyhorn is outclassed in almost every way by Shell Smash users, who which can also hold an Eviolite or Berry Juice. (Rhyhorn can hold these items as well, so...?)

Checks & Counters
########
(there should be colons after each item in the list)
**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types OHKO Rhyhorn with its their STAB moves, while Rhyhorn cannot do much back. (period), while they resist Rhyhorn's Ground-type STAB

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Omanyte and Tirtouga easily OHKO Rhydon. (period)

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types, namely such as Scraggy, can hit non-Eviolite Rhyhorn hard, while and they also resisting its Rock-type STAB moves.

**Drilbur**: Although Drilbur is 2HKOed on the switch, it can threaten to 2HKO non-Eviolite Rhyhorn with Earthquake, (remove comma) and spin away Stealth Rock. (period)

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls can usually avoid the 2HKO from Rhyhorn and gradually wear it down. (period)

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########

Rhyhorn sports good Attack, Defense, and HP stats. It has great STABs in Little Cup, moves and has a good movepool to back ithem up. Rhyhorn also is a complete stop to Fletchling and Zigzagoon, which are both big threats in the metagame. When one sees thisHowever, they may question why Rhyhorn isn't seen commonly in the tier. For one, it has a bad defensive typing, giving it a quadruple weakness to Water- and Grass-type attacks. Rhyhorn also has terrible Special Defense and Speed, and has no recovery outside of the unreliable Rest.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock provides great utility and slowly wears down the opponent. Stealth Rock is an ideal move for Rhyhorn because of Rhyhorn'its enormous physical bulk and the amount of opportunities itRhyhorn gets to set itStealth Rock up. Earthquake is a primary STAB, and move that hits most of the tier relatively hard. Rock Blast is the secondary STAB move, and it is used over Stone Edge orand Rock Slide because it breaks through Substitute, which is rather common in LC. Megahorn can hit Lileep and Slowpoke, while Drilbur and Hippopotas are hit super effectively by Aqua Tail.

Set Details
========

The EVs with a, factoring in Eviolite, increase the chance of surviving an Earthquake from Life Orb Drilbur and Earthquake from Life Orb Bunnelby. An Eviolite boosts Rhyhorn's defenses, making its Defense stat almost impassable without a super-effective attackextremely high, and boosting its mediocre Special Defense. A Life Orb is an alternate item, but it wears down Rhyhorn and makes Rhyhorn more susceptible to attacks. An Adamant nature helps to maximize Attack. Any ability works, as Rhyhorn can not make use of any them as it lacks recoil moves and is already immune to Electric-type attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Rhyhorn forces a lot of switches due to its great defenses and ability to wall certain Pokemon, so using predictiong when to usinge certain attacks or using Stealth Rock on a switch is something you should keep an eye out for. Although Rhyhorn's defensive typing isn't great, Rhyhorn can function as a pivot into cChoice-locked usersPokemon or Pokemon that can't do much to it.

Team Options
========

Chinchou takes most Water-type attacks well for Rhyhorn. Ghost-types such as Gastly can spinblock and switch into Fighting-type moves that, which threaten Rhyhorn. Foongus resists Grass-, Water-, and Fighting-type moves thatwhich can potentially OHKO Rhydon, while Rhydohorn can cover Fire- and Flying-type attacks that threaten Foongus, making it a good partner for a defensive core. Fletchling threatens opposing Grass-types. Lastly, Stealth Rock can be used to help which threaten Rhyhorn hit harder..

Other Options
########

Rhyhorn has a bunch of other options at its disposal. Stone Edge can be used over Rock Blast for a higher damage output most of the time, but RhyhornStone Edge can't break through Substitutes, and the chance to miss is significantly higher. Superpower hits very hard, but lowers Attack and Defense, the two stats Rhyhorn relies on. A more defensive set with Stealth Rock is viable, but is outclassed by Lileep. Rhyhorn has access to the Eelemental Ffangs, but they are very weak as they aren't boosted by STAB. Curse is an option to give Rhyhorn better tank-like abilities, but Rhyhorn fails to find the time to set up. Rhyhorn can tank most neutral physical hits well, so Counter is an option to gain some satisfying KOs. Roar works well with Stealth Rock, and slowly wears down the opponent. Rock Polish can be used to let Rhyhorn outspeed most threats, but is outclassed in almost every way by Shell Smash users, whoich can also hold an Eviolite or Berry Juice.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types** Bulky Grass-types OHKO Rhyhorn with itstheir STAB moves, while Rhyhorn cannot do much back, while they resist Rhyhorn's Ground-type STAB move.

**Water-types** Water-types such as Omanyte and Tirtouga easily OHKO Rhydon.

**Fighting-types** Fighting-types, namely Scraggy, can hit non-eEviolite Rhyhorn hard, while; they also resisting it Rhyhorn's Rock-type STAB moves.

**Drilbur** Although Drilbur is 2HKOed on the switch, it can threaten to 2HKO non-eEviolite Rhyhorn with Earthquake, and spin away Stealth Rock.

**Physical Walls** Physical Walls can usually avoid the 2HKO from Rhyhorn and gradually wear it down.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Rhyhorn sports good Attack, Defense, and HP. It has great STAB moves and a good movepool to back them up. Rhyhorn also is a complete stop to Fletchling and Zigzagoon, which are both big threats in the metagame. However, Rhyhorn has a bad defensive typing, giving it a quadruple 4x weakness to Water- and Grass-type attacks. Rhyhorn also has terrible Special Defense and Speed, and has no recovery outside of the unreliable Rest.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock provides great utility and slowly wears down the opponent. Stealth Rock is an ideal move for Rhyhorn because of its enormous physical bulk and the large amount of opportunities Rhyhorn gets to set Stealth Rock it up. Earthquake is a primary STAB move that hits most of the tier relatively hard. Rock Blast is the secondary STAB move, and it is used over Stone Edge and Rock Slide because it breaks through Substitute, which is rather common in LC. Megahorn can hit Lileep and Slowpoke, while Drilbur and Hippopotas are hit super effectively by Aqua Tail.

Set Details
========

The EVs, factoring in Eviolite, increase the chance of surviving an Earthquake from Life Orb Drilbur and Life Orb Bunnelby. An Eviolite boosts Rhyhorn's defenses, making its Defense stat extremely high, and boosting also boosts its mediocre Special Defense. A Life Orb is an alternate item, but it wears down Rhyhorn down and makes Rhyhorn it more susceptible to attacks. An Adamant nature helps to maximize Attack. Any ability works, as Rhyhorn can not make use of any them as it lacks recoil moves and is already immune to Electric-type doesn't use special attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Rhyhorn forces a lot of switches due to its great defenses and its ability to wall certain Pokemon, so predicting when to use certain attacks or Stealth Rock on a switch is something you should keep an eye out for. Although Rhyhorn's defensive typing isn't great, Rhyhorn can function as a pivot into Choice-locked Pokemon or Pokemon that can't do much to it.

Team Options
========

Chinchou takes most Water-type attacks well for Rhyhorn. Ghost-types such as Gastly can spinblock and switch into Fighting-type moves,(RC) which threaten Rhyhorn. Foongus resists Grass-, Water-, and Fighting-type moves which can potentially OHKO Rhydon, while Rhyhorn can cover Fire- and Flying-type attacks that threaten Foongus, making it a good partner for a defensive core. Fletchling threatens opposing Grass-types which threaten Rhyhorn.

Other Options
########

Rhyhorn has a bunch of other options at its disposal. Stone Edge can be used over Rock Blast for a higher damage output most of the time, but Stone Edge can't break through Substitute, and the chance to miss is significantly higher. Superpower hits very hard, but lowers Attack and Defense, the two stats Rhyhorn relies on. A more defensive set with Stealth Rock is viable, but is outclassed by Lileep. Rhyhorn has access to the elemental fangs, but they are very weak as they aren't boosted by STAB. Curse is an option to give Rhyhorn better tank-like abilities, but Rhyhorn fails to find the time to set up. Rhyhorn can tank most neutral physical hits well, so Counter is an option to gain some satisfying KOs. Roar works well with Stealth Rock, and slowly wears down the opponent. Rock Polish can be used to let Rhyhorn outspeed most threats, but is outclassed in almost every way by Shell Smash users, which can also hold an Eviolite or Berry Juice.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types OHKO Rhyhorn with their STAB moves and they resist Rhyhorn's Ground-type STAB move, while Rhyhorn cannot do much back, while they resist Rhyhorn's Ground-type STAB move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Omanyte and Tirtouga easily OHKO Rhydon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types, namely Scraggy, can hit non-Eviolite Rhyhorn hard; they also resist Rhyhorn's Rock-type STAB moves.

**Drilbur**: Although Drilbur is 2HKOed on the switch, it can threaten to 2HKO non-Eviolite Rhyhorn with Earthquake,(RC) and spin away Stealth Rock.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls can usually avoid the 2HKO from Rhyhorn and gradually wear it down.

GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)