Rhyperior (Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
[OVERVIEW]

Sky-high attack with strong STAB moves and a decent support ability in Lightningrod allow Rhyperior to deal tons of damage to common metagame threats such as Mega Diancie, Heatran, and Bisharp, as well as protect its teammates from Thunder Wave and Electric-type attacks. Access to a plethora of good coverage moves in addition to two STAB moves with great neutral coverage also allows Rhyperior to take advantage of its high Attack and Trick Room with its power. A Speed stat of 40 makes Rhyperior an asset to Trick Room teams or teams needing a check to Trick Room, as it underspeeds common Trick Room threats like Aegislash, although it is still undersped by other threats such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn and its low Speed leaves it susceptible to attacks and burns when Trick Room is not set. Rhyperior is also held back by its low Special Defense stat, which leaves it weak against many special attackers, especially Water- and Grass-types like Keldeo, Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Aside from this, Rhyperior faces direct competition from Rhydon as a Lightningrod user, which is bulkier while holding an Eviolite and thus able to support its teammates more consistently. Rhyperior is a better pick over Rhydon for teams that need something with offensive presence, and it is also able to hold a wider range of items.

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Earthquake / Drill Run
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: Ice Punch / Hammer Arm / Substitute
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Lightningrod
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Rhyperior's primary STAB move and has the perks of hitting both opponents, although it also targets Rhyperior's ally. Drill Run works well for getting around teams that use Wide Guard to protect from Earthquake and is also useful on teams with few Ground-type immunities. Stone Edge is a strong secondary STAB option for single-target attacking and hits Flying-types that avoid Earthquake like Thundurus for super effective damage. Rock Slide is another option for Rock-type STAB that hits both opponents and has a decent chance to cause the foe to flinch when Trick Room is up. Rock Slide is usually preferable to Stone Edge when running Drill Run in order to maintain access to a move with spread damage. Ice Punch is primarily for Landorus-T, which is KOed even after Intimidate. Hammer Arm is also an option to do more damage to Mega Kangaskhan and Ferrothorn. Substitute is another good option for Rhyperior, allowing it to avoid burns or to survive any one hit and retaliate. If neither extra coverage nor Substitute is optimal for Rhyperior's team, it can run dual STAB moves in Rock Slide and Stone Edge or Earthquake and Drill Run, leaving it more flexible with one of its attacking types.

Set Details
========

Lightningrod allows Rhyperior to protect its teammates from any Electric-type moves, providing them useful turns of setup or time to attack. The listed EVs and nature allow Rhyperior to hit as hard as possible with the most bulk possible. A Brave nature is chosen over Adamant for Rhyperior to be more effective under Trick Room, either its own or against opposing Trick Room teams. 0 Speed EVs further improve Rhyperior's effectiveness under Trick Room. Life Orb allows Rhyperior to hit harder, granting it OHKOs against threats like Landorus-T with Ice Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Rhyperior's main goal is to take advantage of Trick Room turns by doing lots of damage to the opposing team. If not being used on a Trick Room team, Rhyperior performs similarly due to its reliance on speed control, although it is not completely restricted to being effective during turns with Trick Room set. In this case, Rhyperior's main draw is in Lightningrod, and it should switch in to protect an ally from Electric-type attacks and Thunder Wave, or cleanly after a teammate falls so as to avoid taking too much damage. If Rhyperior is being used with a teammate that has an Electric-type move, either switch Rhyperior out so that its teammate can attack normally or be sure not to use the Electric-type move, as it will be redirected. Avoid letting Rhyperior take too much damage or trying to use it too much outside of Trick Room, as it will get worn down to the point where it can't be nearly as effective, especially when combined with Life Orb recoil. Be careful with Ground-type STAB moves against Aegislash, as Earthquake is blocked by Wide Guard and Drill Run makes contact, meaning that King's Shield will drop Rhyperior's Attack by two stages. If Rhyperior has Substitute, set one up on a predicted Protect, switch, or slower status move to allow it to still be effective outside Trick Room. However, don't be reckless when setting up a Substitute, as the damage taken in addition to Life Orb damage can whittle Rhyperior down quickly. Avoid Intimidate users and getting hit by Will-O-Wisp, as either will hinder its effectiveness. If running Substitute, setting one up can block both Will-O-Wisp and Intimidate. If Rhyperior is at -1 or -2 Attack due to Intimidate, try to switch it out so that it can be more effective later on in the match. Rhyperior works well either in the mid-game as a wallbreaker or in the endgame as a cleaner, depending on the opponent's team.

Team Options
========

Trick Room setters like Cresselia, Jellicent, and Gourgeist-XL help Rhyperior fix its Speed issue, and Rhyperior in turn takes care of Aegislash and Bisharp, common threats to these Trick Room setters and others. Any Pokemon that work well on Trick Room but need Heatran removed, like Aegislash, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn, appreciate Rhyperior's presence. Amoonguss and Ferrothorn get a special mention for beating the bulky Water-types that plague Rhyperior. All of those are also good examples of something to soak up Water- and Grass-type attacks, which is necessary to support Rhyperior. Rhyperior works well with Trick Room attackers that struggle with Steel-types and need them removed, like Hoopa-U, Azumarill, and Mega Abomasnow. Azumarill stands out in this category, as Rhyperior provides it safety against Electric-type attacks, allowing Azumarill to set up more easily. Redirectors allow Rhyperior some peace of mind when attacking, among which Amoonguss stands out since it takes Grass- and Water-type attacks quite well. Ground-immune Pokemon of some sort are required to be able to take full advantage of Earthquake; some good choices include the aforementioned Cresselia as well as Talonflame or Mega Charizard Y to beat Grass-types. Defiant or Competitive users like Bisharp and Milotic can discourage Intimidate, thus preventing Rhyperior from having its offenses neutered. Rhyperior checks Talonflame really well, so partners that appreciate its removal like Venusaur and Keldeo work well with Rhyperior on their side. Similarly, Rhyperior checks Thundurus and other Thunder Wave users by preventing them from spreading status. Thus, any quicker Pokemon that need to avoid paralysis like Blaziken and Quiver Dance Volcarona work well as partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Megahorn allows Rhyperior to hit Latios, Hydreigon, and Cresselia for more than any other move, but its other coverage options tend to be more useful. Fire Punch can work if Rhyperior's team really struggles with Ferrothorn, as it hits Ferrothorn harder than any other move. Rock Blast can be an option to hit Substitute users and Pokemon equipped with a Focus Sash, but Stone Edge usually does more damage as a single-target Rock-type move and Rock Slide is more accurate. Weakness Policy can be an option, as +2 Rhyperior does crazy amounts of damage, and Rhyperior can afford to take even some super effective physical attacks with its high defense. Life Orb, however, provides more consistent damage output. Solid Rock can be used over Lightningrod to provide Rhyperior with some more bulk, but it should only really be considered on full Trick Room teams that don't mind paralysis and can thus afford to lose the Electric-type redirection. Also, if the team in question is in need of a bulkier version of Lightningrod Rhyperior, using Rhydon is typically preferable to using Solid Rock Rhyperior. Rhyperior can run an Adamant nature with an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe on teams with Tailwind, as it prevents Thunder Wave and outspeeds positive-natured base 110 Speed Pokemon and below with the Tailwind boost, but using that spread prevents Rhyperior from capitalizing on its high defensive stats.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Water-type and Grass-type Pokemon like Keldeo, Ludicolo, and Amoonguss have STAB moves that are 4x effective against Rhyperior. Fighting- and Ground-type attackers like Landorus-T, Scrafty, and Conkeldurr also hit Rhyperior for lots of damage and resist its Rock-type STAB moves.

**Intimidate and Burns**: As with all physical attackers, Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp will prevent Rhyperior from pressuring the opponent as effectively. Common Intimidate users include Landorus-T and Gyarados, while Will-O-Wisp users include Gengar and Rotom formes.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Rhyperior's low Special Defense stat leaves it susceptible to strong special attackers, with even neutral attacks doing lots of damage. Some examples include Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Hydreigon.

**Speed**: If Trick Room is not set, Rhyperior will get outsped by the majority of the metagame, and although it's bulky, Rhyperior is easily broken down by faster attacks. Other threats to its success include Pokemon that underspeed Rhyperior under Trick Room like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Abomasnow.

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
cbekck's check n_n
this is am sooo do with it what you want

overview: mention the stuff it checks well, ie fires, kang, diancie, flyings, electrics (even if not lr)
mention specifics of speed tier: it's under things like aegis over stuff like amoonguss, how this effects its matchups.

set:

-slash drill run? imo it's better than oo
discuss benefits/disadvantages ie drill run procs king's shield, spread, accuracy, etc.
I might even go so far as to say you could have 2 of a stab (rock slide + stone edge or eq + drill run) on the same set because the other coverage options are a litlte meh. idk.
Substitute on tr set? I know it's been used before but maybe a slash or maybe oo make that call yourself

Assault vest rhyperior is really, really bad tbh. If you're going to av rhyp it might as well just be rhydon with eviolite. Any rhyperior set must be life orb, don't really see value in having it be assault vest rhyp over rhydon besides bluffing value?

megahorn should be oo. Only hits cresselia/hydreigon/latios? Idk if this is very good

team options: Rhyperior is super good at checking talonflame (rock types and heatran are the only things that resist dual stabs) so mention that it can help partners that are weak to talonburd ie sun, keldeo, grasses, etc.

oo:
rindo berry not worth a mention
mention why stealth rocks is unpopular in doubles / mention some of its weaknesses in dou

chekcs/counters:
waters/grasses aren't the only things with good typing mu. Fighting and ground type should be included imo.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Implemented the majority of the above check, keeping a log below:

Expanded Overview to go into more detail about speed tier and what it checks
Added more about Drill Run in OO and gave it a more favorable review, will move to main set once I get QC agreement
Added Substitute to OO
Moved AV to OO, along with Lightning Rod. Was already on the fence about making this a set, so I'm totally happy to demote it
Moved Megahorn to OO and put Rock Slide in its place
Added Talonflame mentions throughout
Removed Rindo, talked SR down a little bit more
Added mention of Fighting- and Ground-types

And some of my own changes:
Talked down Lum for the lack of LO boost
Added **Strong Special Attackers**

Would like some more input on the slash order and my chosen EVs - this is just what I run but I know it's probably not standard

EDIT: Did what check recommended below

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
I don't really mean that non-tr rhyperior shouldn't be a set, just that if it is a set it should be life orb :/
rhyperior definitely sees usage on non-tr teams

If you're condensing both into the same set I'd put lightning rod as a slash tbh, mention it shouldn't be WITH electric types, mention how it shouldn't be on fullroom

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
rhyperior >:3

Overview

• remove solid rock mention
  • great utility in lightningrod allows it to keep its allies from being paralyzed by thunder wave or hit by electric moves
  • rhyperior's great stab coverage which has few resists helps it take the most advantage of trick room turns
Set
  • whats with the random 8 defense floating around. just put that in hp
  • remove solid rock, lightningrod should be the only thing here
Moves
  • mention drill run's usefulness being a move that gets around wide guard. also say that it should be used over eq when the rest of the team has little ground immunities
  • its usually a good idea to use rock slide when using drill run in order to maintain spread access
Usage Tips
  • move the bit from set details here about your own electric types not being able to attack when rhyperior is on the field, but reword it so that its implied that lightingrod is the only ability that we are suggesting
Team Options
  • porygon2 doesnt struggle with aegis, so remove him or reword it
  • things that appreciate not being paralyzed, (which is everything, but particularly, speedy quick mons that arent significant threats to thundurus) like keldeo and blaziken if not being used on trick room
  • mention more tr mons here, as rhyperior should generally be used on trick room more than anything else. it can help out tr mons like azumarill by beating thundurus and aegislash by beating heatran, etc
  • ferrothorn and amoonguss helps by beating bulky waters such as suicune and politoed
Other Options
  • remove drill run mention, its in the main set
  • remove rock polish. i really see no point in running this when u dont even outspeed landorus-t with it.
  • i dont see the point in lum berry either, as rhyperior either flatly beats (talonflame, mega gengar) or is flatly beaten (rotom-w) by every willowisp user already.
  • when mentioning stealth rocks, also say that its usually not a good idea because rhyperior needs attacking moves to make full use of its high atk

1/3

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Not a full check but I'll get to that soon. I noticed these after a skim.

Lightning Rod is one word. It should be "Lightningrod" as per Spelling and Grammar Standards.

Also, it faces heavy competition from Rhydon, which is bulkier (with Eviolite) and is thus much more effective at utilizing its supportive ability in Lightningrod. Mention what Rhyperior has over Donner: actually threatening offensive potential and ability to hold an actually usable item.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
just going to mention that if you're mentioning trick room like every 2nd sentence, it's giving off the vibe of a trick room set, which would mean solid rock main slash...

lightning rod is only good on a team that has a fastmode, ie if the set was meant for non-tr, or semiroom, which makes me think that solid rock definitely deserves main slash and lightning rod behind, unless the analysis needs to be redone to mean a Rhyperior in non-tr set. Imo I would structure it as so, but just leave lightning rod second slash, then mention that non-tr variants should be using lightning rod...

I know it was a qc member who said "lr main slash" but imo solid rock is better on tr teams?

talkingtree

large if factual
For now I'll put it in OO for other QC to weigh in on, with the mention that it's only really better on TR teams who don't so much mind paralysis. My guess is that Solid Rock isn't recommended because if you're looking for a bulkier version of Rhyperior you should just use Rhydon instead of Solid Rock. I had totally forgotten about Rhydon before (oops), so that's why I originally had Solid Rock as a main set.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
overview:
  • and also is able to hold a usable item where Rhydon must have an Eviolite -> awkward and out of place, make this its own sentence and replace usable by offensive
moves:
  • However, unlike Earthquake, it makes contact, so be cautious against Aegislash that could use King's Shield. - I'd move this to Usage tips as a general "be careful with your Ground moves vs aegis because EQ gets wide guarded and drill run is contact" sorta thing
  • saying 2 rock moves is fine and 2 ground isn't is kind of weird. i'd honestly put them at around the same importance, so just condense that bullet into "you can run dual STAB"
set details:
  • you don't actually mention yet that it's a Trick Room specific set, so saying running speed is counterproductive either needs to be prefaced with a TR mention or removed
  • move Sub from OO up to here. It's really good on Rhyperior but I don't think it deserves to be on main set.
  • remove the other spread because it's such a small change and I don't think it's useful at all tbh
team options:
  • saying it prefers to have setters that struggle with Aegis is poorly worded, just say most of them happen to struggle with Aegislash which rhyp deals with
other options:
  • remove SR, although they're useful, TR is the last type of team that would want to give up a coverage moveslot and a free turn in order to set them up
  • remove assault vest, it's literally just a worse rhydon at that point.
  • Adamant max speed rhyperior works on dedicated tailwind teams because it prevents Thunder Wave and outspeeds genies and more under Tailwind
checks and counters:
  • saying that a life orb EQ doesnt hurt keldeo or a life orb stone edge doesn't hurt Ludicolo is kind of inaccurate >_> remove the part about rhyp not hitting them hard. Also, Azu is a shitty check because Aqua Jet doesn't OHKO and you can sure as hell bet an attack from Rhyperior is gonna sting

again, well written :)! tag me when implementerino'd

talkingtree

large if factual
Written up, if whoever does the 3rd check could make sure to help me cut down on some of the longer sections that would be much appreciated. Usage Tips in particular feels very long.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aight here to help clean up some clutter:

[Overview]
Sky-high attack with strong STABs allow Rhyperior to deal tons of damage to common metagame threats such as Mega Diancie, Heatran, and Bisharp, making it a good choice for many teams. In addition to this, its ability Lightningrod provides Rhyperior with solid utility in protecting its teammates from Thunder Wave and Electric-type attacks alike.
the bolded part of this sentence is the key part of rhyperior's value to teams outside of trick room, change up the original sentence to include lightning rod support as part of the original reason rhyperior can work on multiple builds, as right now it only lists its ability to beat mdiancie, et al
A Speed stat of 40 makes Rhyperior an asset to Trick Room teams or teams needing a check to Trick Room, as it underspeeds common Trick Room threats like Aegislash, although it is still undersped by threats such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn. However, its low speed also leaves Rhyperior very susceptible to attacks and burns when Trick Room is not set.
you can condense this into a single sentence

other than that call this 3/3 and getter goin.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

Sky-high attack with strong STABs moves and a decent supportive ability in Lightning Rod allow Rhyperior to deal tons of damage to common metagame threats such as Mega Diancie, Heatran, and Bisharp,(AC) as well as protect its teammates from Thunder Wave and Electric-type attacks alike. Access to a plethora of good coverage moves in addition to two STABs moves with great neutral coverage also allows Rhyperior to take advantage of its high Attack and control Trick Room turns with its power. A Speed stat of 40 makes Rhyperior an asset to Trick Room teams or teams needing a check to Trick Room, as it underspeeds common Trick Room threats like Aegislash, although it is still undersped by other threats such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn and its low Speed leaves it susceptible to attacks and burns when Trick Room is not set. Rhyperior is also held back by its low Special Defensive stat, which leaves it weak to against many special attackers, especially Water- and Grass-types like Keldeo, Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Aside from this, Rhyperior faces direct competition from Rhydon as a Lightningrod user, since Rhydon is bulkier while holding an Eviolite and thus able to support its teammates more consistently. Rhyperior is a better pick over Rhydon for teams that need something with threatening offenses offensive presence, and is also able to hold an offensive wider range of items while Rhydon needs an Eviolite to be effective.

[SET]
ability: Lightning Rod

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Rhyperior's primary STAB move and has the perks of hitting both opponents, although it also targets Rhyperior's ally. Drill Run works well for getting around teams that use Wide Guard to protect from Earthquake, and is also useful on teams with few Ground-type immunities to click Earthquake next to. Stone Edge is a strong secondary STAB option for single-target attacking, and hits Flying-types that avoid Earthquake like Thundurus for super effective damage. Rock Slide is another option for Rock-type STAB that hits both opponents and under Trick Room has a decent chance to induce flinches in the opponent flinch the opponent when Trick Room is up. Rock Slide is usually preferable to Stone Edge when running Drill Run in order to maintain access to a move with spread damage. Ice Punch is primarily for Landorus-T, which is KO'd even after Intimidate. Hammer Arm is also an option to do more damage to Mega Kangaskhan and Ferrothorn. Substitute is another good option for Rhyperior, allowing it to avoid burns or to live any one hit and retaliate. If neither extra coverage nor Substitute are optimal for Rhyperior's team, it can run dual STAB moves in Rock Slide and Stone Edge or Earthquake and Drill Run, leaving it more flexible with one of its attacking types.

Set Details
========

Lightning Rod allows Rhyperior to protect its teammates from any Electric-type moves, providing them useful turns of setup or time to attack. The listed EVs and nature allow Rhyperior to hit as hard as possible with the most bulk possible. Brave was chosen over Adamant for Rhyperior to be more effective under Trick Room, either its own or against opposing Trick Room users. 0 Speed EVs further improve Rhyperior's effectiveness under Trick Room. Life Orb allows Rhyperior to hit harder still, granting it OHKOs against threats like Landorus-T with Ice Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Rhyperior's main goal is to take advantage of Trick Room turns by doing lots of damage to the opposing team. If not being used on a Trick Room team, Rhyperior still plays very similarly, but there are fewer restrictions for when it makes sense to have it on the field reword this sentence please, i'm not too sure what's being said here. If Rhyperior is being used with a teammate that has an Electric-type move, either switch Rhyperior out so that its teammate can attack normally or be sure not to use the Electric-type move, as it will be redirected. Avoid letting Rhyperior take too much damage or trying to use it too much outside of Trick Room, as it will get worn down to the point where it can't be nearly as effective, especially when combined with Life Orb recoil. Be careful with Ground-type STAB moves against Aegislash, since Earthquake is blocked by Wide Guard and Drill Run makes contact, meaning that King's Shield will drop its Rhyperior's Attack by two stages. If Rhyperior has Substitute, set one up on a predicted Protect, switch, or slower status move to allow it to still be effective outside Trick Room. However, don't be reckless when setting up a Substitute as the damage taken in addition to Life Orb damage can whittle Rhyperior down quickly. Avoid Intimidate users and getting hit by Will-O-Wisp, as either will hinder its effectiveness. If running Substitute, setting one up can block either one both Will-O-Wisp and Intimidate. If Rhyperior is at -1 or -2 Attack due to Intimidate, try to switch it out so that it can be more effective later on in the match. Rhyperior works well in either the mid-game as a wallbreaker or in the endgame as a cleaner, depending on the opponent's team.

Team Options
========

Trick Room setters like Cresselia, Jellicent, and Gourgeist help Rhyperior fix its Speed issue, and Rhyperior in turn takes care of Aegislash and Bisharp, common threats to these Trick Room setters and others. Any Pokemon that work well on Trick Room but need Heatran removed, like Aegislash, Amoonguss, or Ferrothorn appreciate Rhyperior's presence. Amoonguss and Ferrothorn get a special mention for beating the bulky Water-types that plague Rhyperior. All of those are also good examples of something to soak up Water- and Grass-type attacks, which is necessary to support Rhyperior. Rhyperior works well with Trick Room attackers that struggle with Steel-types and need them removed, like Hoopa-U, Azumarill, and Mega Abomasnow. Azumarill stands out in this category as Rhyperior provides it safety against Electric-type attacks, allowing Azumarill to set up more easily. Redirectors allow Rhyperior some peace of mind in when attacking, among which Amoonguss stands out since it takes Grass- and Water-type attacks quite well. Ground-type immunities of some sort are required to be able to take full advantage of Earthquake, some good choices include the aforementioned Cresselia as well as Talonflame or Mega Charizard Y to beat Grass-types. Defiant or Competitive users like Bisharp and Milotic can discourage Intimidate, thus preventing Rhyperior from having its offenses neutered. Rhyperior checks Talonflame really well, so partners that appreciate its removal like Venusaur and Keldeo work well with Rhyperior on their side. Similarly, Rhyperior checks Thundurus and other Thunder Wave users by preventing them from spreading status. Thus, any quicker Pokemon that need to avoid paralysis like Blaziken or Quiver Dance Volcarona work well as partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Megahorn allows Rhyperior to hit Latios, Hydreigon, and Cresselia for more than any other move, but its other coverage options tend to be more useful. Fire Punch can work if Rhyperior's team really struggles with Ferrothorn, as it hits Ferrothorn harder than any other move. Rock Blast can be an option to hit Substitute users and Pokemon equipped with a Focus Sash, but Stone Edge usually does more damage as a single-target Rock-type move and Rock Slide is more accurate. Weakness Policy can be an option, since +2 Rhyperior does crazy amounts of damage, and Rhyperior can afford to take even some super effective physical attacks with its high defense. Life Orb, however, provides more consistent damage output. Solid Rock can be used over Lightning Rod to provide Rhyperior with some more bulk, but should only really be considered on full Trick Room teams that don't so much mind paralysis and can thus afford to lose the Electric-type redirection. Also, if the team in question is in need of a bulkier version of Lightning Rod Rhyperior, Rhydon is typically preferable to using Solid Rock Rhyperior. Rhyperior can run an Adamant nature beside with an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe on teams with Tailwind, as it prevents Thunder Wave and outspeeds positive-natured base 110 Speed Pokemon and below with the Tailwind boost, but using that spread prevents Rhyperior from capitalizing on its high defensive stats.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Water-type and Grass-type Pokemon like Keldeo, Ludicolo, and Amoonguss have STAB moves that are 4x effective against Rhyperior. Fighting-type and Ground-type attackers like Landorus-T, Scrafty, and Conkeldurr also hit Rhyperior for lots of damage and resist its Rock-type STAB moves.

**Intimidate and Burns**: As a physical attacker, Rhyperior is much more effective at maximum attack and either Intimidate or and Will-O-Wisp will prevent it Rhyperior from pressuring the opponent as effectively. Common Intimidate users include Landorus-T and Gyarados, while Will-O-Wisp users include Gengar and Rotom formes.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Its Rhyperior's low Special Defense stat leaves Rhyperior it susceptible to strong special attacks, and even neutrally effective ones since they aren't hindered by Solid Rock. Some examples include Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Hydreigon.

**Speed**: If Trick Room is not set, Rhyperior will get outsped by the majority of the metagame, and although it's bulky, Rhyperior is easily broken down by faster attacks. Other threats to its success include Pokemon that underspeed Rhyperior under Trick Room like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Abomasnow.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
Implemented, just a couple quick questions:

I've gotten conflicting info on Lightningrod vs Lightning Rod, can someone clarify what's up with that?

Also, I clarified the sentence you wanted rewritten and added something that QC told me I missed, can you check it out?
  • If not being used on a Trick Room team, Rhyperior performs similarly due to its reliance on speed control, although it is not completely restricted to being effective during turns with Trick Room set. In this case, Rhyperior's main draw is in Lightningrod, and it should switch in to protect an ally from Electric-type attacks and Thunder Wave, or cleanly after a teammate falls, so as to avoid taking too much damage.
Thanks horyzhnz n_n

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
official gen VI spelling Lightning Rod, old spelling Lightningrod, and for this one only we still use the old spelling because for this one only the SCMS/CMS wasn't updated properly. Has been the case since the beginning of gen VI but was never too well known and a (minor) official announcement was only made literally over a year into gen VI, so can't really blame hory or any gp member for that matter for mixing those up x_x

tl;dr: Lightningrod for now (though when the CMS gets updated for the proper spelling they'll likely be mass renamed to Lightning Rod)

also gp 2 incoming while i'm at it

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[Overview]
[OVERVIEW]

Sky-high attack with strong STAB moves and a decent support ability in Lightningrod allow Rhyperior to deal tons of damage to common metagame threats such as Mega Diancie, Heatran, and Bisharp, as well as protect its teammates from Thunder Wave and Electric-type attacks. Access to a plethora of good coverage moves in addition to two STAB moves with great neutral coverage also allows Rhyperior to take advantage of its high Attack and Trick Room with its power. A Speed stat of 40 makes Rhyperior an asset to Trick Room teams or teams needing a check to Trick Room, as it underspeeds common Trick Room threats like Aegislash, although it is still undersped by other threats such as Amoonguss and Ferrothorn and its low Speed leaves it susceptible to attacks and burns when Trick Room is not set. Rhyperior is also held back by its low Special Defense stat, which leaves it weak against many special attackers, especially Water- and Grass-types like Keldeo, Venusaur, and Rotom-W. Aside from this, Rhyperior faces direct competition from Rhydon as a Lightningrod user, since Rhydon which is bulkier while holding an Eviolite and thus able to support its teammates more consistently. Rhyperior is a better pick over Rhydon for teams that need something with offensive presence, and it is also able to hold a wider range of items.

[SET]
ability: Lightningrod

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Rhyperior's primary STAB move and has the perks of hitting both opponents, although it also targets Rhyperior's ally. Drill Run works well for getting around teams that use Wide Guard to protect from Earthquake (RC) and is also useful on teams with few Ground-type immunities. Stone Edge is a strong secondary STAB option for single-target attacking (RC) and hits Flying-types that avoid Earthquake like Thundurus for super effective damage. Rock Slide is another option for Rock-type STAB that hits both opponents and has a decent chance to cause the opponent foe to flinch when Trick Room is up. Rock Slide is usually preferable to Stone Edge when running Drill Run in order to maintain access to a move with spread damage. Ice Punch is primarily for Landorus-T, which is KO'd KOed even after Intimidate. Hammer Arm is also an option to do more damage to Mega Kangaskhan and Ferrothorn. Substitute is another good option for Rhyperior, allowing it to avoid burns or to live survive any one hit and retaliate. If neither extra coverage nor Substitute are is optimal for Rhyperior's team, it can run dual STAB moves in Rock Slide and Stone Edge or Earthquake and Drill Run, leaving it more flexible with one of its attacking types.

Set Details
========

Lightningrod allows Rhyperior to protect its teammates from any Electric-type moves, providing them useful turns of setup or time to attack. The listed EVs and nature allow Rhyperior to hit as hard as possible with the most bulk possible. A Brave nature is was chosen over Adamant for Rhyperior to be more effective under Trick Room, either its own or against opposing Trick Room teams. 0 Speed EVs further improve Rhyperior's effectiveness under Trick Room. Life Orb allows Rhyperior to hit harder, granting it OHKOs against threats like Landorus-T with Ice Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Rhyperior's main goal is to take advantage of Trick Room turns by doing lots of damage to the opposing team. If not being used on a Trick Room team, Rhyperior performs similarly due to its reliance on speed control, although it is not completely restricted to being effective during turns with Trick Room set. In this case, Rhyperior's main draw is in Lightningrod, and it should switch in to protect an ally from Electric-type attacks and Thunder Wave, or cleanly after a teammate falls (RC) so as to avoid taking too much damage. If Rhyperior is being used with a teammate that has an Electric-type move, either switch Rhyperior out so that its teammate can attack normally or be sure not to use the Electric-type move, as it will be redirected. Avoid letting Rhyperior take too much damage or trying to use it too much outside of Trick Room, as it will get worn down to the point where it can't be nearly as effective, especially when combined with Life Orb recoil. Be careful with Ground-type STAB moves against Aegislash, since as Earthquake is blocked by Wide Guard and Drill Run makes contact, meaning that King's Shield will drop Rhyperior's Attack by two stages. If Rhyperior has Substitute, set one up on a predicted Protect, switch, or slower status move to allow it to still be effective outside Trick Room. However, don't be reckless when setting up a Substitute, (AC) as the damage taken in addition to Life Orb damage can whittle Rhyperior down quickly. Avoid Intimidate users and getting hit by Will-O-Wisp, as either will hinder its effectiveness. If running Substitute, setting one up can block both Will-O-Wisp and Intimidate. If Rhyperior is at -1 or -2 Attack due to Intimidate, try to switch it out so that it can be more effective later on in the match. Rhyperior works well either in either the mid-game as a wallbreaker or in the endgame as a cleaner, depending on the opponent's team.

Team Options
========

Trick Room setters like Cresselia, Jellicent, and Gourgeist (which one?) help Rhyperior fix its Speed issue, and Rhyperior in turn takes care of Aegislash and Bisharp, common threats to these Trick Room setters and others. Any Pokemon that work well on Trick Room but need Heatran removed, like Aegislash, Amoonguss, or and Ferrothorn, (AC) appreciate Rhyperior's presence. Amoonguss and Ferrothorn get a special mention for beating the bulky Water-types that plague Rhyperior. All of those are also good examples of something to soak up Water- and Grass-type attacks, which is necessary to support Rhyperior. Rhyperior works well with Trick Room attackers that struggle with Steel-types and need them removed, like Hoopa-U, Azumarill, and Mega Abomasnow. Azumarill stands out in this category, (AC) as Rhyperior provides it safety against Electric-type attacks, allowing Azumarill to set up more easily. Redirectors allow Rhyperior some peace of mind when attacking, among which Amoonguss stands out since because it takes Grass- and Water-type attacks quite well. Ground-type immunities Ground-immune Pokemon of some sort are required to be able to take full advantage of Earthquake; (SC) some good choices include the aforementioned Cresselia as well as Talonflame or Mega Charizard Y to beat Grass-types. Defiant or Competitive users like Bisharp and Milotic can discourage Intimidate, thus preventing Rhyperior from having its offenses neutered. Rhyperior checks Talonflame really well, so partners that appreciate its removal like Venusaur and Keldeo work well with Rhyperior on their side. Similarly, Rhyperior checks Thundurus and other Thunder Wave users by preventing them from spreading status. Thus, any quicker Pokemon that need to avoid paralysis like Blaziken or and Quiver Dance Volcarona work well as partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Megahorn allows Rhyperior to hit Latios, Hydreigon, and Cresselia for more than any other move, but its other coverage options tend to be more useful. Fire Punch can work if Rhyperior's team really struggles with Ferrothorn, as it hits Ferrothorn harder than any other move. Rock Blast can be an option to hit Substitute users and Pokemon equipped with a Focus Sash, but Stone Edge usually does more damage as a single-target Rock-type move and Rock Slide is more accurate. Weakness Policy can be an option, since as +2 Rhyperior does crazy amounts of damage, and Rhyperior can afford to take even some super effective physical attacks with its high defense. Life Orb, however, provides more consistent damage output. Solid Rock can be used over Lightningrod to provide Rhyperior with some more bulk, but it should only really be considered on full Trick Room teams that don't mind paralysis and can thus afford to lose the Electric-type redirection. Also, if the team in question is in need of a bulkier version of Lightningrod Rhyperior, using Rhydon is typically preferable to using Solid Rock Rhyperior. Rhyperior can run an Adamant nature with an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe on teams with Tailwind, as it prevents Thunder Wave and outspeeds positive-natured base 110 Speed Pokemon and below with the Tailwind boost, but using that spread prevents Rhyperior from capitalizing on its high defensive stats.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Water-type and Grass-type Pokemon like Keldeo, Ludicolo, and Amoonguss have STAB moves that are 4x effective against Rhyperior. Fighting- and Ground-type attackers like Landorus-T, Scrafty, and Conkeldurr also hit Rhyperior for lots of damage and resist its Rock-type STAB moves.

**Intimidate and Burns**: As a physical attacker with all physical attackers, (dangling modifier) Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp will prevent Rhyperior from pressuring the opponent as effectively. Common Intimidate users include Landorus-T and Gyarados, while Will-O-Wisp users include Gengar and Rotom formes.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Rhyperior's low Special Defense stat leaves it susceptible to strong special attackers, with even neutral attacks doing lots of damage. Some examples include Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Hydreigon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)