RMT: It's Christmas Time! (No, not really)

Hey Smogon, this is my second RMT and here's a team I'm trying to fine-tune right now. Any suggestions are welcome ^^

So here's my team so far:

@

Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 SDef / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Protect
- Seed Bomb

It's quite obvious why this guy is on my team. He sets hail and beats other weather setters with Seed Bomb (Politoed, Tyranitaar, and Hippodown) and Earthquake (Ninetails). His Focus Sash makes sure he can stay around to kill at least one guy. Just watch out for U-Turn, though.
The EV spread is quite straightforward. Max Attack for those 1HKOs, and I spent the rest on Speed enough to outspeed some Pokes and Special Defense because, why not?

@

Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Roost
- Ice Fang

My physical wall and Dragon killer. This guy can tank outrages and Roost them off on the third turn. He can also stall with Toxic (and hail damage), PP stall with Protect (like those irritating Hydro Pumps).
This EV spread is also straightforward. Max Defense, some Attack (for Ice Fang), and some HP.

@

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 192 HP / 112 SAtk / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

The specially defensive wall of my team, this provides a reliable check to Fire-types that want to kill Abomasnow with fire. Substitute can be used when the opposing Pokemon switches out, Earth Power to get rid of opposing Fire-types, and Will-O-Wisp to prevent physical attackers from punching holes in my team. Too avoid being Earthquaked, switch inn to Gliscor or Rotom-Fridge Frost.

@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SAtk / 248 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Don't underestimate Fridge!
Rotom-Frost's typing means spamming Blizzard and Volt Switch/Thunderbolt, killing off weaker Pokemon since he outspeeds them Choice Scarf. Hidden Power Fire is to get rod of Ferrothorn, Scizor (I hate this guy), etc. Volt Switch is to switch in to either Starmie or Gallade to handle Fighting types or to spin away hazards. His EVs allow him to take Scizor's Bullet Punches and deal damage with HP Fire.

@

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Starmie is my bulky spinner that can stick around for quite some time with Recover. Ferrothorn's Power Whip can't even kill this guy (even if it's a crit) after a burn from Scald. Thunderbolt is to handle other opposing Water-types, and deal neutral damage to quite a lot of stuff.
The 32 Defense EVs are used to avoid the OHKO from Choice Band Terrakion's Stone Edge and Ferrothorn's Power Whip, enabling Starmie to outstall Ferrothorn with ease. The Speed investment allows Starmie to outspeed Timid Gengar and Tornadus, so that they won't spinblock.
Note: Ghost types are quite hard to handle for this team.

@

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch

This bulky Gallade is very important to my team. Physical attacker, check. STAB Psychic move, check. Ghost-type killing priority move, check. He can even heal himself with Drain Punch.
EVs allow him to survive a Shadow Ball (hopefully), have sky-high attack, and survive quite a lot of hits with his HP.
Gallade can tank some Fighting moves (along with Gliscor), to make sure Abomasnow and Heatran don't die early in-game.

That's it.

Here's three battles:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-54717975
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-54719302
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-55177679

Thanks to:
Sparrowkatana (for the trial runs)
Smogon (for the EVs)
PokemonDB (for the sprites)

Importable:
Grandpa (Abomasnow) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Protect
- Seed Bomb

Snapfreeze (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Roost
- Ice Fang

Steampunk (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 192 HP / 112 SAtk / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Fridge (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SAtk / 248 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Deca (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Todd (Gallade) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, so I'm here to rate your team!

So, this is a pretty defensive stallish kinda hail team, utilizing a nice Water Fire Grass core with Abomasnow, Starmie, and Heatran. Gliscor is your main physical wall, and fits nicely with the rest of the team, while Rotom-F is your revenge killer. Finally we have Gallade, who I guessing is your bulky late game sweeper.

However, I feel maybe some of your choices are out classed by other Pokemon. Gallade isn't the greatest bulky sweeper, especially for hail teams, while Rotom-F is also a pretty odd choice. While I generally like to synergy and idea of the team, so I won't be suggesting too much. You also don't have Stealth Rock, which is an extremely important move that should be on nearly every team. You need to find room for it on one of your Pokemon.

So, here are my suggestions.

1) Replace Gallade with Calm Mind Reuniclus. Reuniclus is generally a much better option for Hail teams, as with it's ability Magic Guard it doesn't take Hail damage.

2) Replace Rotom-F with Kyurem. Kyurem has much better bulk, speed, and power compared to Rotom-F. You're only really losing Volt Switch, which I think Kyurem more than makes up for.

(A few minor suggestions)

3) Replace Ice Fang on Gliscor with Earthquake. You say it's there to KO Dragon types, but you already have Ice Shard from Abomasnow and you have Heatran yo tank Outrage's, as well as a Choice Scarf'd Ice type. It's not needed, and Earth Quake hits much harder.

4) Fit Stealth Rock onto Heatran somewhere. Stealth Rock is just too important to not have. Heatran is a great choice to set up SR, and I suggest using Stealth Rock over Earth Power, as Earth Power is only really used to hit opposing Heatran, which you already have Starmie for.

Here are the sets.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Blizzard
- Earth Power

Well there's my rate. Good luck with the team, and I hope my rate helped you.

I tried out a couple of matched with the two Pokémon you recommended, Kyurem works fine (Though I miss levitate :'<) but Reuniclus isn't that great.
First off, I have only one physical attacker one Gallade is gone, which is Abomasnow. This kinda sucks because after Abomasnow dies (which happens really often, he has seven weaknesses) a Blissey can actually wall the team.
Secondly, I now lack a reliable ghost type counter unless I free a slot for Shadow Ball. Jellicent can 2HKO Starmie and hazards will eventually kill my team.
Without Shadow Ball, Sableye can inflict free status on my team as it's immune to Reuniclus' attacks.
This is why I'm keeping Gallade (till someone finds a better answer)

Stealth Rock is great for my team, and Earthquake is okay... Well, not being able to hit Rotom - W and other flying types, making me switch out hurts, but I guess its worth it.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I tried out a couple of matched with the two Pokémon you recommended, Kyurem works fine (Though I miss levitate :'<) but Reuniclus isn't that great.
First off, I have only one physical attacker one Gallade is gone, which is Abomasnow. This kinda sucks because after Abomasnow dies (which happens really often, he has seven weaknesses) a Blissey can actually wall the team.
Secondly, I now lack a reliable ghost type counter unless I free a slot for Shadow Ball. Jellicent can 2HKO Starmie and hazards will eventually kill my team.
Without Shadow Ball, Sableye can inflict free status on my team as it's immune to Reuniclus' attacks.
This is why I'm keeping Gallade (till someone finds a better answer)

Stealth Rock is great for my team, and Earthquake is okay... Well, not being able to hit Rotom - W and other flying types, making me switch out hurts, but I guess its worth it.
Eh, just a quick note. Reuniclus uses Blissey for set up bait and easily beats it. While Starmie out speeds Jellicent and 2HKOs with Thunderbolt. As for Sableye? You have a Heatran, which is immune to Will O Wisp and doesn't care too much about Taunt. I really wouldn't consider Gallade a Ghost type counter, but it's your team so do as you wish.

Edit: Ice Fang isn't hitting Rotom-W for hardly any damage anyway, and as for Flying types in general? You have Heatran and Abomasnow.

Hey JG! Seems to me like the teams coming along nicely

Honestly, I agree with ShootinStarmie to some extent
Use magic guard
But don't use reuniclus
The cell's speed is almost as bad as sunkern's! And when the point of reuniclus is to sweep, I don't think it's very viable without trick room or at least substantial bulk (reuniclus easily falls to the aforementioned scizor)
If you want a magic guard user, give alakazam a shot

Alakazam @ Focus sash
Trait: Magic Guard
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- HP fire
- Shadow Ball

Give it a shot and tell me how it goes, Kay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)