RMT Mount Storm Hawk

This is my first ever participation in the CAP meta. This is a stall team that has a lot of potential to succeed if you know what you're doing with it. Of course, since the number of elite players is fewer than that of the standard metagame, and most of the CAP teams created tend to suck, this is a rather easy team to use.

At A Glance

In Detail

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 164 Def / 248 HP / 96 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze/Reflect/Aura Sphere
- Taunt/Reflect/Earth Power/Rapid Spin
- Air Slash
- Roost

Tomohawk is a must on stall teams to put Baton Pass to a screeching halt. Prankster Haze and Taunt ensure that no mon can set up on it, and Roost is a must to ensure its survival. Alternatively, Reflect can be used to make Tomohawk and its teammates harder to take down. Aura Sphere and Earth Power are for coverage to surprise opponents. Rocky Helmet and Prankster Roost (and Reflect) will ensure that any physical attacker will not use a Flare Blitz or whatever their strongest contact move is if they want to keep their attacker.

Alternate EVs: 44 Def / 248 HP / 216 SDef - Bold
252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef - Bold
8 Def / 248 HP / 252 SDef - Calm

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse/Whirlwind
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Cyclohm is pretty much the other necessary mon for any stall team in the XY CAP meta. This is because of its usefulness in taking down threats like Cawmodore, Talonflame, Arghonaut, and non-EQ Gyarados. Cawmodore especially is such a force with its Belly Drum shenanigans that it's pretty much mandatory to have at least one check to it. Thunderbolt, Dragon Pulse, and Flamethrower provide all the coverage it needs to wear down these threats while it Slacks Off when the time comes to stay healthy. Whirlwind can also be used to phase out potential checks to it and rack up hazard damage.

Alternate EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SDef - Calm

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Tail Glow Syclant is running rampant, so something has to check it. What better way to check it than with the most specially bulky mon ever? (Just watch out for MixAnt.) Chansey provides so much to stall, being a cleric and a toxic staller in one slot. Unless your special attacker's name is Keldeo or it has Psyshock, it will get stalled to death. And just when you think that you can Taunt it to get rid of it, your taunter takes a Seismic Toss. Soft-Boiled is the icing on the cake, ensuring that Chansey will wall special attackers until its job is finished.

Alternate EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef - Calm

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk (2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd for HP Fire)
- Leech Seed / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis / Hidden Power [Fire]

Stall teams absolutely despise Knock Off, as such, it is a must to have a mega to deal with it. Mega Venusaur's Leech Seed set can easily stall any Knock Off user (other than Cawmodore but who puts knock off on caw?) Sludge Bomb can be used to get rid of any Grass-type trying to switch into Leech Seed. The choice whenever to use Giga Drain or Synthesis depends on whenever you have an offensive advantage or not, as both moves are essential for providing Venusaur with recovery. HP Fire is an alternative to throw off Kitsunoh, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, and unboosted Cawmodore.

Alternate EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Def - Bold
248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd - Calm

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt/Roar/Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Heatran forms the other part of the famous VenuTran core, and it still works in CAP like it does for Standard OU. Lava Plume is helpful for burning physical attackers on the switch or that Heatran can wall. Heatran makes for a good toxic staller by checking pretty much any Fairy-type that isn't Azumarill, but that is already stopped by Venusaur. The choice of utility move for the second slot depends on what teams you want Heatran to threaten. If stall is bothering you, Taunt. If setup offense is a concern, Roar. Stealth Rock can also be used if those two playstyles are of no concern.

Alternate EVs: 248 HP / 80 SDef / 180 Def- Calm
248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spd - Bold

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 4 SDef / 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Stealth Rock/Toxic

Aurumoth is probably the most threatening mon in the entire CAP meta, so this team needs a moth check. Clefable has the bulk and Unaware to take any of Aurumoth's moves aside from the rare Final Gambit. Wish allows Clefable to act as a supporter to keep its teammates alive, and Moonblast discourages Tomohawk from coming in on it. Protect allows it (and Heatran) to scout a foe's set to figure out which mon to send in to wall it.

Alternate EVs: 20 SDef / 248 HP / 240 Def - Calm
252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def - Calm

Other Team Options

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Counter
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Skarmory can still phaze Cawmodore with Whirlwind, and can also check Mega Pinsir with its high defenses.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect

Take that lando.

Conclusion:

This is my first experience of the XY CAP meta, and lots of work was put into this team for you to rate. Thank you and I appreciate your ratings and suggestions for this team.

Last edited:

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Overall, your team is pretty solid, I've faced this on the ladder, and lost after losing my Cyclohm check early in the game 1-0. You have a bit of a weakness to Mega Medicham, but since Fuzzie isn't on the ladder to much, he doesn't see too much play anymore. I seem to remember being able to get through four of your Pokes with a Mega Gardevoir. Continuing on the topic of Mega Pokemon as threats, a +2 Mega Pinsir can tear through your team without a problem so long as it runs Quick Attack, Return, and EQ.

On the issue of regular Pokémon, Landorus Incarnate can do damage to you once Chansey is gone. I might also choose to run HP Fire on your Venusaur over either Leech Seed or Synthesis, since it can literally do nothing against most Steel types or the mirror match. Lastly, be sure to run EVs to have odd numbered HP stats on all your pokes, for being able to switch more into Rocks and Spikes.

Good job!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vryheid

fudge jelly
This is a pretty standard stall core. I'm glad you're using the Haze-a-hawk set, it's very powerful and prevents your team from being torn apart by Mega Charizard X and Mega Gyarados. You're a little weak to Mega Mawile, Lando, and Kyurem-B, but you should be able to work around them with proper prediction. Generally this is good stuff.

Your team is terribly weak to Mega Pinsir right now, and I'm of the opinion that you don't need Cyclohm since Heatran can handle incoming Talonflame just fine. I think you should replace it with a Skarmory with Spikes, which will both act as backup for Tomohawk if it goes down and help enormously in a battle against opposing stall. You really, really need those extra hazards, or opposing hazard stall teams will be impossible for you to deal with.

The team you posted gets completely annihilated by Landorus...and looks like gdays team (standard stallteam i guess). Surprised Vryheid said u could play around Lando cos i dont see how that is possible with that team but i could be mistaken. Otherwise nice team mate!

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seconding what NitrousAcid said above. A Landorus with a set of Earth Power/Psychic/Sludge Wave/Knock Off, which is a fairly common Lando-I set, absolutely destroys this team. Only Chansey is not take out cleanly, but even then, losing Eviolite cripples it so intensely that it can hardly afford to be your only check. This goes double when a lot of Lando Cary Superpower, and it is impossible to tell whether it will be your Chansey or Clefable that is best for stopping it. Adding Skarmory does a little to help this, but not really enough. While it can mostly wall Lando, the set you have posted cannot hit it back at all. Brave Bird would be absolutely necessary for taking on Lando. Even then, I'd suggest looking for a more dedicated stop to it. I'm not a big stall player, so I don't have any real specific suggestions for a replacement, however, I would suggest looking into flying/levitating Pokemon that are not weak to any of Poison, Psychic or Fighting. While Skarm does fit this bill, the lack of special bulk and the lack of powerful offensive options to take out a healthy Lando is a big detriment to the team.

Physically bulky Cresselia would be your best bet. Knock off does about 30-40% and its really the only stall mon that can wall Lando's common sets... and mandibuzz but no one uses that in cap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)