Other Same Type Attack Bonus [STABmons ORAS]

Same Type Attack Bonus
A STABmons ORAS RMT | Peaked at #2 | Alt: DinaIsha

The Team

I am usually always enthusiastic about OMs, because they are highly creative and allow for multiple deviations in teambuilding and hence a fun Metagame. STABmons was one such OM, capable of many viable ideas for teams and individual Pokémon. Although STABmons tends to be hyper-offensive, over time, I've figured that defense would be the best way to go about. I've tried to make a team that can face any kind of situation put up by any kind of team in this meta (Hax apart). In fact, my original team has been edited around 10-12 times to arrive at this team. I believe it can help anyone get to at least ~50 in the ladder and if played effectively, maybe even top it.

The Song

Hello Goodbye by The Beatles

You say yes, I say no
You say stop and I say go go go, oh no
You say goodbye and I say hello
Hello hello
I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!

The Strategy

Landorus-Therian
Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature

- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roost/U-Turn
- Knock Off/Dragon Ascent
Landorus-Therian got some wonderful tools to play with in STABmons: Defog, Roost and Dragon Ascent. While the former helps it keep off the nasty Stealth Rock (Spikes, Sticky Web as well), Dragon Ascent allows it to hit hard with its albeit-uninvested humongous Base Attack (In fact, it's the only reliable way to take out Mega Venusaur). Then again, Knock Off is also very useful in terms of crippling other walls, who usually switch in. Roost is to make sure that you live longer and as you may know, recovery is one the important things for a Stall strategy. But momentum is also very useful, especially with a great revenge killer like Diggersby around, so U-Turn is also worth it. The choice depends upon your playstyle. Intimidate + Knock Off is very essential in a defensive team, crippling Physical Attackers and/or common switch-ins. There's one more feat that Landorus-Therian is capable of performing: Feigning Earthquake/Precipice Blades and forcing out Pokémon like Heatran and Magnezone. So make sure you don't use all your moves and let the opponent play over the fact that you don't have a Ground Move in your moveset.

Sableye
Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature

- Will-O-Wisp/Topsy-Turvy
- Dark Void
- Parting Shot
- Recover

If you don't use Sableye in a STABmons team, you're more or less asking to be swept. A metagame this offensive needs a few checks, and Sableye is the primary check. Whether it's stopping a sweep in its tracks with Dark Void and/or Topsy-Turvy, or crippling a Physical Attacker with Will-O-Wisp, or maintaining crucial momentum with the amazing Attack + Special Attack drop that comes with Parting Shot, Sableye is the go-to-guy. The 8 Speed EVs are to beat other Sableyes to a Dark Void, which is very important is a lot of situations. Topsy-Turvy is also a great replacement for Will-O-Wisp, no questions asked.

Quagsire
Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature

- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Protect/Spikes

There are always a bunch of Pokémon that seem to be viable in every tier. There's a good reason Quagsire is on that list: Unaware. Shift Gear Scizor giving you problems? Belly Drum Kangaskhan breaking your team? Shell Smash Cloyster sweeping you? Need help? Consult the Quag. No Physical Sweeper likes not being able to set up; and definitely doesn't want to be burned. Quagsire does both of these things and does it good. In fact so much so that, Quagsire can 'sweep' a poorly built STABmons team (Check the Replays Tag). I've done it myself several times. Spikes is the least preferred option. If you're very confident of your prediction skills, then it'll definitely come in handy. Considering how Quagsire forces a lot of switches, it should be easy to set them up too.

Chansey
Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature

- Transform
- Milk Drink
- Seismic Toss/Baton Pass
- Aromatherapy

Chansey is your usual wall. But unlike others, Chansey can also be offensive in a pinch. Transform is an amazing tool which basically copies the foe, but at a ridiculous HP. A well-timed Transform could very well mean victory. Chansey's role in this team, however, is not limited to that. It also acts as a great counter to Sableye and also an great Status-absorber, healing and curing burns/toxic. Because of this, you can let your 'sweepers' take a Burn or Toxic, and put a dent in what Statused you, since you know you'll be healed again anyway (Scizor especially, since it hits hard even when it's burned). Seismic Toss is to temporarily dent Taunters, who seem to have infested the metagame of late. Or if you're sure you can deal with Taunters, low Speed Baton Pass is also wonderful to help out Diggersby take out some threats.

Scizor
Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature

- Shift Gear
- Roost/Superpower
- Pin Missile
- Gear Grind

Mega Mawile got banned, unfortunately, leaving it up to it to the slightly underwhelming Mega Scizor to take its place. It does most of the job Mega Mawile originally did (Which is basically set up Shift Gear and wreck face), except take care of Heatran and Skarmory. So make sure they're out of the equation before trying to sweep. Superpower is an option over Roost to KO Heatran and Magnezone (Watch out for King's Shield) at +1 and dent Skarmory severely. But if the opponent manages to wilt down your HP, you'll have lesser chances of setting up and more chances of being easily Stalled out. If offense is your playstyle though, go ahead. Superpower is definitely worth it on something whose two STABs are resisted by Steel Types. Gear Grind and Pin Missile hit amazingly hard after +2, factoring in technician, to break through prominent walls. Roost is to make sure you utilize the bulk keep your Sweep alive.

Diggersby
Silk Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature

- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- ExtremeSpeed
- Thousand Arrows/Precipice Blades

Meet the MVP of STABmons, who has gained a lot more through ORAS (Elemental Punches, Knock Off, Thousand Arrows, Precipice Blades). It's almost incounterable, which is precisely why it was Suspect Tested and might even be once again. I sincerely hope it stays, but if it goes, Mega Lopunny would be my next best bet, giving up the Mega Stone on Scizor. Silk Scarf boosts the already outrageous Priority overkill of FakeSpeed. Knock Off is obviously Ghosts, but is nifty to remove Recovery/Rocky Helmet from the likes of Skarmory, Landorus-T, Quagsire and Sableye, common switch ins to Diggersby. Note the investment in HP. It helps to survive many crucial Scalds and other neutral hits.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Roost

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Void
- Parting Shot
- Recover

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Spikes

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Transform
- Milk Drink
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Roost
- Pin Missile
- Gear Grind

Diggersby (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- ExtremeSpeed
- Knock Off
- Precipice Blades

This is actually a very old Screenshot. After this, I lost a bunch of matches and went to #33. After that, I won a whole lot and became #2 again with 1555 (Just 7 points shy of #1 then). I lost the chance to become #1 when I fought the #1 guy and lost like 30+ points. He used a King's Rock Cloyster to beat Quagsire with 3 flinches, while Scald itself didn't Burn for 2 turns of use. He apologized at least, later, but no one's to blame.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-130491665 (Quagsire 'Sweeps')

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-130574776 (Predictions, Predictions)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-130567716 (Landorus-T used Rage!.. Well, not the Normal Type Move)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-133669731 (How weird does it feel to fight your own team?)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-155616160 (Finals of a STABmons Tournament in the Other Metas PS room)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-156407870 (Finals of another STABmons Tournament in the Other Metas PS room)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-192469984 (6-0 with all mons at Full HP)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-192478190 (Sweet Revenge! Read the Ladder Peak Tag for inside information)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-192481129 (No Funny with Angry Bunny! Tourney Finals with fellow council member, unfixable )

Last edited:
I saw Mega-Mawile in your vid, and I was wondering if you're still able to use it in STABmons?
No, you can't. Scizor is its replacement. It does essentially the same thing, but trades power for longevity (Roost). The good thing is Scizor doesn't miss out on coverage, because except for Heatran, it can break even supposed checks at +2 with its 150-BP STABs.

I thought thousand arrows wasn't technically a legal move at all? Please correct me if im wrong. From what i remember, its a move thats just lok Hoopa and Volcainion. Everyone knows it, but it technically doesn't exist.

I thought thousand arrows wasn't technically a legal move at all? Please correct me if im wrong. From what i remember, its a move thats just lok Hoopa and Volcainion. Everyone knows it, but it technically doesn't exist.
Yeah, I made thinking it'll be legal sooner. And it's arguably one of the best moves Diggersby can use.

But for the time being Precipice Blades does quite well to break walls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)