UU Sceptile

-->
(Sceptilite)

QC: dodmen / Hikari / IronBullet93
GP: P Squared / The Dutch Plumberjack

Overview
########

Sceptile has an excellent combination of offensive stats and Speed as well as a wide movepool with many good coverage options. Furthermore, after Mega Evolving, it has a pretty decent ability in Lightningrod, which makes Mega Sceptile a good switch into Electric-type attacks. Mega Sceptile has a decent defensive typing with a handful of useful resistances, but it also has a lot of weaknesses and low defenses, which makes it easier to KO. Even though Mega Sceptile's Speed is rather great, it is still outsped by a lot of common Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Mienshao; it also Speed ties with Mega Beedrill and is outsped by Mega Aerodactyl.

All-Out Offensive
########
name: All-Out Offensive
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Giga Drain / Earthquake / Hidden Power Fire
ability: Overgrow
item: Sceptilite
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Naive

Moves
========

Leaf Storm is a very powerful Grass-type STAB move, but it harshly drops Sceptile's Special Attack after use. Focus Blast is a powerful Fighting-type attack that has great overall coverage, but it is a little inaccurate. Dragon Pulse is a secondary STAB attack with good neutral coverage. Giga Drain is another good STAB attack that recovers Sceptile's health and doesn't have a drawback, unlike Leaf Storm, and therefore it can be used in the fourth slot. Earthquake can be used instead, as it hits Pokemon such as Chandelure and Infernape for better damage and also has great coverage. Hidden Power Fire can also be used in the fourth slot to 2HKO Assault Vest Escavalier and hit Doublade and Forretress harder, but it lacks power otherwise.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is Sceptile's ability before Mega Evolving, but it isn't really useful, as Sceptile tends to Mega Evolve immediately anyway. Lightningrod grants Mega Sceptile an immunity to Electric-type attacks, making it a perfect switch-in for them. Maximum Special Attack investment ensures Mega Sceptile hits as hard as possible, and the Speed EVs and Timid nature allow it to Speed tie with Jolly Mega Beedrill and outspeed Timid Choice Scarf Chandelure. If running Earthquake, a Naive nature is recommended, and the 4 HP EVs can be shifted to Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Sceptile will get a huge boost to its offenses. Use Leaf Storm sparingly, as it will harshly drop Sceptile's Special Attack after use, leaving it fairly weak. If it has been used, switch out to reset Sceptile's stats. Mega Sceptile is a good switch-in to Water-, Grass-, and Electric-type attacks, even gaining a Special Attack boost from the latter. However, switch carefully, as the opponent can predict the switch and hit Mega Sceptile with a more effective move. Mega Sceptile can also be used as a late-game cleaner once special walls are gone. Bringing Mega Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is wise, as it doesn't have the bulk to switch in itself.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can bring Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, such as Forretress, make for good teammates, as Sceptile does not have the bulk to switch in directly. Physical attackers such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Haxorus make for good partners as well because they can break through specially defensive Pokemon such as Florges and Blissey, which hinder Mega Sceptile. Pokemon such as Toxicroak and Escavalier can beat the Fairy-types that hinder Mega Sceptile. Infernape, Rotom-H, and Crobat are also good teammates because they beat Grass-types, which trouble Mega Sceptile. Entry hazard setters such as Nidoqueen and the aforementioned Forretress can help Mega Sceptile KO foes more easily thanks to the chip damage they provide. Lastly, Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful too, keeping Mega Sceptile healthy.

Substitute Attacker
########
name: Substitute Attacker
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Giga Drain
move 4: Focus Blast
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Substitute allows Sceptile to avoid status moves, and it is also a great move to use on a forced switch; this allows Sceptile a free attacking turn, unless the opposing Pokemon uses a sound-based move or has Infiltrator. Giga Drain is a STAB move with a decent Base Power, decent coverage, and excellent synergy with Substitute, as it recovers Sceptile's HP a bit, allowing it to set up more Substitutes. Dragon Pulse is a reliable STAB attack that hits most types neutrally. Focus Blast is used in the fourth slot to hit Steel-types such as Mega Aggron and Lucario hard, as they resist Sceptile's STAB attacks, and Focus Blast also has great overall coverage.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is Sceptile's ability before Mega Evolving, but it doesn't provide much use outside of letting Giga Drain hit harder when at low health, and Sceptile will Mega Evolve immediately anyway. With Lightningrod Mega Sceptile can absorb Electric-type attacks upon switching in and gain a Special Attack boost from them. The EV investment maximizes Mega Sceptile's offensive capabilities and the Timid nature lets Mega Sceptile outspeed Timid Choice Scarf Chandelure and Speed tie with Jolly Mega Beedrill. The remaining EVs go in HP to let Mega Sceptile set up a maximum of five Substitutes if it cannot go for Giga Drain.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Sceptile will get a huge boost in its offensive stats as well as a small boost in its Defense stat. Use Substitute on a predicted switch; this allows Mega Sceptile to get a free attacking turn most of the time. Mega Sceptile is a good switch-in for Electric-type attacks, as Lightningrod will raise Mega Sceptile's Special Attack, making it even more powerful. However, Sceptile should switch in carefully, because Mega Ampharos can knock it out with Dragon Pulse if the opponent predicts the switch. Mega Sceptile is a good switch-in for Grass- and Water-type attacks, as it can easily take an attack because of its 4x resistances and can hit their users with a powerful STAB attack or just set up a Substitute. Although Sceptile can switch into certain types of attacks, it isn't bulky enough to switch into most neutral attacks, so bringing it in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good, as it ensures Sceptile gets a safe switch in so it can Mega Evolve right after.

Team Options
========

As mentioned in Usage Tips, slow U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Forretress are good teammates, as they help Sceptile switch in safely. Fire-types such as Infernape and Chandelure are useful for their ability to take the Ice-type attacks that bother Mega Sceptile and beat these users afterwards. Steel- and Poison-types such as Escavalier, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen are useful for beating the Fairy-types that threaten Mega Sceptile. Physical wallbreakers such as Pangoro, Krookodile, and Haxorus can break through specially defensive walls for Sceptile, and therefore they make for good partners too. Pokemon weak to Grass-, Water-, or Electric-types appreciate Mega Sceptile as a teammate, as it can switch into these attacks and beat those Pokemon. Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful to keep Mega Sceptile healthy.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 4: Earthquake / Drain Punch
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Swords Dance allows Sceptile to boost its Attack to great levels. Leaf Blade is a powerful STAB attack with decent coverage. Dragon Claw is a secondary STAB move that achieves great coverage alongside Leaf Blade. Outrage is another usable Dragon-type attack with more power than Dragon Claw, but it leaves Sceptile confused and unable to switch out. Earthquake is an option for the last slot, as it hits the Steel-types that resist Mega Sceptile's STAB combination. Drain Punch is another option because it can allow Mega Sceptile to break through common walls that usually would switch into it, such as Blissey and Umbreon.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is Sceptile's ability before Mega Evolving, but it doesn't provide much utility. Lightningrod is Sceptile's ability after Mega Evolving and makes it a great switch-in to Electric-type moves. Sceptilite allows Sceptile to Mega Evolve and gain a huge boost in stats. 252 Attack and Speed EVs maximize Mega Sceptile's offensive capabilities, and the Jolly nature allows it to outspeed Choice Scarf Chandelure and Speed tie with maximum Speed Jolly Mega Beedrill.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Sceptile will become way more powerful than its normal forme. Use Swords Dance on a forced switch; this gives Sceptile an easier time to sweep. Mega Sceptile can be easily switched into Water-, Grass-, and Electric-type attacks; it takes barely anything from the former two and is immune to the latter. However, it should certainly be wary of Scald, which can burn Sceptile and weaken it a lot. Bringing Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good, as it usually doesn't have the bulk to switch in directly.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can bring Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, such as Forretress, make for good teammates, as Sceptile generally doesn't have enough bulk to switch in itself. Mega Sceptile appreciates special wallbreakers such as Chandelure and Hydreigon, which can take care of some physical walls that hinder Mega Sceptile during its sweep, such as Forretress and Gligar. Pokemon that take advantage of Sceptile's ability to lure in special walls, such as Chandelure, make for good partners too. Pokemon such as Escavalier can reliably beat the Fairy-types that get in Mega Sceptile's way, and Crobat and Rotom-H can take care of Grass-types. Entry hazard setters such as Nidoqueen, Froslass, and Forretress are good teammates, as entry hazard support can help Mega Sceptile KO foes more easily. Cleric support from Pokemon such as Florges and Blissey is appreciated too, as burn is troublesome for Mega Sceptile. Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful to keep Mega Sceptile healthy.

Other Options
########

Iron Tail can be used to hit Fairy-types, which threaten Mega Sceptile, but it is inaccurate and doesn't have good overall coverage. Rock Slide is another option for hitting Chandelure and Flying-types, which resist Sceptile's Grass-type STAB moves, for more damage, but most types are hit well by Dragon Pulse and Fire-types are better hit by Earthquake anyway. Leech Seed is an option to recover Sceptile's health a bit, but Sceptile doesn't have the bulk to pull the trick off. Synthesis is a recovery move that can improve longevity, but Sceptile does not have the bulk to pull one off without getting hurt badly.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Florges, Aromatisse, and Whimsicott are the most reliable counters to Mega Sceptile, as they all can take a hit and beat it with a STAB attack.

**Revenge Killers**: Revenge killers such as Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Darmanitan can come in and KO Sceptile with one of their STAB attacks, as Sceptile doesn't have great bulk.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Whimsicott can switch into Mega Sceptile's attacks and steadily recover damage back, and they can KO it afterwards.

Last edited:
Will finish this tomorrow, probably, after I tested the first set a bit more.

(Will do UT, TO for first set and C&C)

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Discussed some stuff with Bouff, and there's definitely things that need to be fixed.
  • Giga Drain should be the first slash in the last slot of the All-Out set, as it is a solid Grass-type STAB that has no drawbacks, as opposed to Leaf Storm.
  • I would definitely add Jirachi in team options for both sets as it's one of the best 'mons out there, and it's one of those Steel-types
  • I would remove Protect, X-Scissor, and Toxic from Other Options, as for Protect, Regular Sceptile is already fast on its own unlike Beedrill and the latter two just really bad options in general for Mega Sceptile.
  • For Revenge Killers, I would replace Scarf Krookodile with Aerial Ace Mega Aerodactyl since it outspeeds Mega Sceptile and Krook is not even a reliable check in the first place.
At the same time, I don't have much knowledge on Mega Sceptile, so I'll have to get other QC membs to chime in here.

Discussed some stuff with Bouff, and there's definitely things that need to be fixed.
  • Giga Drain should be the first slash in the last slot of the All-Out set, as it is a solid Grass-type STAB that has no drawbacks, as opposed to Leaf Storm.
  • I would definitely add Jirachi in team options for both sets as it's one of the best 'mons out there, and it's one of those Steel-types
  • I would remove Protect, X-Scissor, and Toxic from Other Options, as for Protect, Regular Sceptile is already fast on its own unlike Beedrill and the latter two just really bad options in general for Mega Sceptile.
  • For Revenge Killers, I would replace Scarf Krookodile with Aerial Ace Mega Aerodactyl since it outspeeds Mega Sceptile and Krook is not even a reliable check in the first place.
At the same time, I don't have much knowledge on Mega Sceptile, so I'll have to get other QC membs to chime in here.
edited!

Alright so I've been using SD Mega Sceptile and I believe that it definitely deserves its own set. Sure Sceptile's base Attack is lower, but that's what SD is for. It's great for luring special walls so that other teammates have a chance to break through, and it can do some cool things like always OHKOing 252/0 Crobat at +2 after SR with Dragon Claw (and has a very good chance to OHKO 252/56). Moves should be SD; Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, EQ/Drain Punch. EQ hits Jirachi, Poison-types, and Fire-types while Drain Punch goes through common special walls such as Blissey, Snorlax, and Umbreon. Outrage should be listed separately in the Moves section. It is admittedly a bit weak but this is made up for with its ability to boost, great coverage, and excellent Speed. Team Options, like I said, would be things that can take advantage of Sceptile luring special walls. I've been using offensive Tailwind Suicune; it's got fantastic synergy (after you Mega) and really makes the most of Blissey being gone. When you implement this, don't forget to make the appropriate changes to OO and C&C.

Otherwise I agree with all of dingbat's recommendations. Mega Sceptile actually straight up outspeeds Scarf Chandelure, not speed ties, so that should be fixed in the first set under Set Details.

In Usage Tips when you mention that lightningrod can absorb Electric attacks, you need to say that it must be very careful switching into stuff because moves like Raikou's HP Ice and Mega Ampharos's Dragon Pulse destroy it.

I can't confirm this right now because I'm on my phone, but I'm fairly sure that 4 HP EVs actually prevent it from setting up five substitutes because it would give Sceptile an even HP number (again, confirm this because I could be wrong).

Don't mention registeel, it's not relevant. Change to Mega Aggron.

Leech Seed is an Other Option.

Alright so I've been using SD Mega Sceptile and I believe that it definitely deserves its own set. Sure Sceptile's base Attack is lower, but that's what SD is for. It's great for luring special walls so that other teammates have a chance to break through, and it can do some cool things like always OHKOing 252/0 Crobat at +2 after SR with Dragon Claw (and has a very good chance to OHKO 252/56). Moves should be SD; Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, EQ/Drain Punch. EQ hits Jirachi, Poison-types, and Fire-types while Drain Punch goes through common special walls such as Blissey, Snorlax, and Umbreon. Outrage should be listed separately in the Moves section. It is admittedly a bit weak but this is made up for with its ability to boost, great coverage, and excellent Speed. Team Options, like I said, would be things that can take advantage of Sceptile luring special walls. I've been using offensive Tailwind Suicune; it's got fantastic synergy (after you Mega) and really makes the most of Blissey being gone. When you implement this, don't forget to make the appropriate changes to OO and C&C.

Otherwise I agree with all of dingbat's recommendations. Mega Sceptile actually straight up outspeeds Scarf Chandelure, not speed ties, so that should be fixed in the first set under Set Details.

In Usage Tips when you mention that lightningrod can absorb Electric attacks, you need to say that it must be very careful switching into stuff because moves like Raikou's HP Ice and Mega Ampharos's Dragon Pulse destroy it.

I can't confirm this right now because I'm on my phone, but I'm fairly sure that 4 HP EVs actually prevent it from setting up five substitutes because it would give Sceptile an even HP number (again, confirm this because I could be wrong).

Don't mention registeel, it's not relevant. Change to Mega Aggron.

Leech Seed is an Other Option.
I'll add in the SD set tomorrow. Furthermore, everything has been edited, bar the Registeel mention in TO. Since you have M-Sceptile already, you can't have M-Aggron. Should I just remove the mention instead of replacing it there?

Alright so this all pertains to SD:

• Specifically say that Drain Punch is used to break past the special walls that commonly switches into Sceptile, including Umbreon and Blissey.
  • Speed ties Jolly Beedrill, not outspeeds.
  • Need to mention in Usage Tips that you can't freely switch into Scald like the special sets can, for obvious reasons.
  • Team Options should include Pokemon that can take advantage of Sceptile luring special walls, since that's one of the things that makes this set so attractive.
Looks good otherwise 1/3 assuming you'll do these last couple things.

Alright so this all pertains to SD:

• Specifically say that Drain Punch is used to break past the special walls that commonly switches into Sceptile, including Umbreon and Blissey.
  • Speed ties Jolly Beedrill, not outspeeds.
  • Need to mention in Usage Tips that you can't freely switch into Scald like the special sets can, for obvious reasons.
  • Team Options should include Pokemon that can take advantage of Sceptile luring special walls, since that's one of the things that makes this set so attractive.
Looks good otherwise 1/3 assuming you'll do these last couple things.
I hope that I've edited this succesfully. Thanks!

Bad defensive typing, as Mega Sceptile has a lot of weaknesses.
Eh, it isn't bad. It comes with some good resistances, which is nice.

People already mentioned this but Outrage needs to be mentioned in the SD set. DO this and I'll give you a check.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mention for the first set that a Naive nature and Atk EVs should only be used with Earthquake. In fact Timid should be the primary nature here, with Naive as the second slash as Giga Drain is slashed first for the fourth moveslot. Otherwise looks good so provided the above is implemented - QC 3/3

Mention for the first set that a Naive nature and Atk EVs should only be used with Earthquake. In fact Timid should be the primary nature here, with Naive as the second slash as Giga Drain is slashed first for the fourth moveslot. Otherwise looks good so provided the above is implemented - QC 3/3
Done! Moving this into GP stage.

Amcheck
ADD
REMOVE
COMMENT

Overview
########

Sceptile has an excellent combination of offensive stats and Speed. It also has access to good coverage options in its wide movepool. Furthermore, it has a pretty decent ability as a Mega in Lightning Rod makes Mega Sceptile a good switch in into Electric-type attacks. Mega Sceptile has a decent defensive typing, with a handful of useful resistances, but it also has a lot of weaknesses. Mega Sceptile also has acceptable defenses, but not very good. It also has frail defenses making it easier to KO. Mega Sceptile faces a lot of competition from Serperior as a specially offensive attacker as along with Serperior has access to Contrary and Leaf Storm, meaning Serperior's power Special Attack is increased every turn after each use of Leaf Storm, yet Sceptile's niche lies in higher Speed and better coverage. Even though Mega Sceptile's Speed is rather great, it is still outsped by a lot of common Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon, (AC) and Mienshao, as well as it speedties Speed Ties with Mega Beedrill, and is outsped by Mega Aerodactyl.

All-Out Offensive
########
ability: Overgrow --> Lightning Rod
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========

Leaf Storm is a very powerful Grass-type STAB which has great base power, but harshly drops Sceptile's Special Attack after. Focus Blast is another powerful Fighting-type attack which has great overall coverage, but it is a little inaccurate. Dragon Pulse is a secondary STAB attack for Mega Sceptile which hits most types for good neutral coverage. Giga Drain is another good STAB attack that recovers Sceptile a bit and doesn't have a drawback, unlike Leaf Storm, and therefore can be used in the fourth slot. Earthquake can be chosen in the fourth slot as it hits Pokemon such as Jirachi, Chandelure, (AC) and Infernape for better damage and also has great coverage. Hidden Power Fire can also be used in the fourth slot to 2HKO Assault Vest Escavalier, and also hits Doublade and Forretress better, but it is a bit underpowered.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is Sceptile's ability before Mega Evolving, but isn't really useful as Sceptile tend to Mega Evolve directly anyway. Lightning Rod allows Mega Sceptile an immunity to Electric-type attacks, making it a perfect switch in into them. Max Special Attack EV investment ensure allows Mega Sceptile to hit as hard as possible, and the maxed Speed EVs are backed up by a Naive nature, which allows it to speedtie Speed Tie with Jolly Mega Beedrill and outspeed Choice Scarf Timid Chandelure. However, a Naive nature and the Attack EVs should only be used when running Earthquake. If not, the other EVs should be put into HP and Sceptile should have a Timid nature.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Sceptile will get a huge boost in offense. Use Leaf Storm sparingly, as it will harshly drop its Special Attack after use, leaving Mega Sceptile's attacks weaker. a bit weak. If it has been used, switch out. Mega Sceptile is a good switch in to Electric-type attacks, as it will raise its Special Attack, but it can also switch into Water- and Grass-type attacks for teammates. However, it should be carefully played, because Raikou can predict the switch in and beat Sceptile with a Hidden Power Ice. Same goes for Dragon Pulse Mega Ampharos. This Sceptile can be used as a late-game cleaner once the special walls are gone. Bringing Mega Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good too, as it doesn't have the bulk to switch in itself.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can bring Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, make good teammates as Sceptile does not have the bulk to switch in. An example of these this Pokemon is Forretress. Physical attackers such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Haxorus make good partners as well because they can break through specially defensive Pokemon such as Florges and Blissey that hinder Mega Sceptile. Pokemon such as Jirachi, Toxicroak, (AC) and Escavalier that can beat the Fairy-types that hinder Mega Sceptile make good partners too. Teammates such as Infernape, Rotom-Heat, (AC) and Crobat are fine because they beat Grass-types which hinder Mega Sceptile while on the field. Hazard setters such as the aforementioned Forretress and Nidoqueen are good partners, (AC) as they can help Mega Sceptile net KO foes earlier with the hazards they've set up. Lastly, Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful too to keep Mega Sceptile healthy.

Substitute Attacker
########

Moves
========

Substitute allows Sceptile to avoid status moves, as well as it is a great move to use on a forced switch; this allows Sceptile a free attacking turn, unless the opposing Pokemon uses a sound-move or has Infiltrator as their ability. Giga Drain is a STAB attack with decent base power, decent coverage, and has excellent synergy with Substitute as it recovers Sceptile a bit, allowing it to set up more Substitutes. Dragon Pulse is a more reliable STAB attack which hits most types for neutral coverage. Focus Blast is used in the fourth slot to hit Steel-types such as Mega Aggron and Lucario hard as they resist Sceptile's dual STAB attacks, and Focus Blast has furthermore, (AC) great overall coverage.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is Sceptile's ability before Mega Evolving, (this was mentioned above already) but doesn't provide much use outside of letting Giga Drain hit harder when at low health, and Sceptile will Mega Evolve directly anyway. Lightning Rod is Sceptile's ability as Mega Forme, which means that Mega ceptile Sceptile can absorb Electric-type attacks upon switch in, as it will boost its Special Attack by one stage. The invested EVs maximize Mega Sceptile's offensive capabilities and the Timid nature let Mega Sceptile speedtie Speed Tie with Jolly Mega Beedrill as well as outspeed Choice Scarf Timid Chandelure, and the 4 remaining EVs go in HP to let Mega Sceptile set up 5 Substitutes at max if it cannot go for Giga Drain.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Sceptile will get a huge boost in its offensive stats, as well as its Defense gets a small boost. Use Substitute on a predicted switch; this allows Mega Sceptile to get a free attacking turn most of the time. Sceptile is a good switch in into Electric-type attacks as a Mega, as it will raise Mega Sceptile's Special Attack, making it even more powerful. However, Sceptile should switch in carefully, because Raikou can predict the switch in and beat Sceptile with a Hidden Power Ice. Same goes for Dragon Pulse Mega Ampharos. Mega Sceptile is a good switch in into Grass- and Water-type attacks, as it can easily take an attack because of a double resistance, and it can hit them after with a powerful STAB attack, or just Substitute up. Although Sceptile can switch into certain type of attacks, it isn't bulky enough to switch into most neutral-damaging attacks, so bringing it with after a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good as it ensures Sceptile gets a safe switch in so it can Mega Evolve right after.

Team Options
========

As mentioned in Usage Tips, slow U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Forretress are good teammates as they help Sceptile switch in safely. Fire-types such as Infernape and Chandlure are useful, as they can take Ice-type attacks that bother Mega Sceptile and beat them afterwards. Steel- and Poison-types such as Escavalier, Jirachi, (AC) and Nidoqueen are useful for beating the Fairy-types that threaten Mega Sceptile. Physical wallbreakers such as Pangoro, Krookodile, (AC) and Haxorus can break through specially defensive walls for Sceptile, and therefore make good partners too. Pokemon weak to Grass-, Water-, or Electric-types appreciate Mega Sceptile as a teammate as it can switch into these attacks and beat those Pokemon. Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful too to keep Mega Sceptile healthy.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance allows Sceptile to boost its Attack to great levels. Leaf Blade is a powerful STAB attack with decent coverage. Dragon Claw is a secondary STAB which forms great coverage along with Leaf Blade except against Dragon-types. Outrage is another usable Dragon-type attack with more power than Dragon Claw, but leaves it with confusion and unable to switch out. Earthquake is an option for in the last slot, (AC) which hits the Steel-types that resist Mega Sceptile's STAB combination. Drain Punch is a final option to use because it can break through common walls that usually would switch into Sceptile, such as Blissey and Umbreon.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is the ability of Sceptile before Mega Evolving, (don't think you have to mention that again along with Lightning Rod) but doesn't prove much utility. Lightning Rod is Sceptile's ability after Mega Evolving and makes it perfectly suit for an Electric-type switch in. Sceptilite allows Sceptile to Mega Evolve and gain a huge boost in stats. Max Attack and Max Speed max out Mega Sceptile's capabilities and the Jolly nature allows it to outspeed Choice Scarf Chandelure and speedtie Max Speed Jolly Mega Beedrill.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve directly when possible, as Sceptile will become way more powerful than in normal forme. (I'd say that everyone will always Mega Evolve Sceptile as soon as it is sent into the battle) Use Swords Dance on a forced switch; this gives Sceptile a way easier time to sweep. Mega Sceptile can almost be switched in for free into Water-, Grass-, (AC) and Electric-type attacks; it takes barely anything any damage from the former two type attacks, and is immune to the latter. But, it should certainly be wary of Scald, as this can burn Sceptile and weaken it a lot cripple it's physical attacks. Bringing Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good as it usually doesn't have to bulk to switch in itself.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can bring Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, make good teammates as Sceptile mostly doesn't have enough bulk to switch in itself. An example of these this ("these" is the plural form of "this" meaning more than one and since you named one Pokemon, it should be "this") Pokemon who (who refers to a person) that can bring it in safely is Forretress. Special wallbreakers such as Chandelure and Hydreigon that can take care of some physical walls such as Forretress and Gligar that hinder Mega Sceptile during sweeping, are excellent teammates too. Pokemon that take advantage of this Sceptile luring in special walls, such as Chandelure and Raikou, make good partners too. Pokemon such as Jirachi and Escavalier that can reliably beat the Fairy-types that hinder Mega Sceptile make good partners as well. Crobat and Rotom-Heat can take care of Grass-types are good partners too. (end sentence) Hazard setters such as Nidoqueen, Froslass, (AC) and Forretress are good partners as they can help Mega Sceptile KOing KO opponents earlier early because of the prior passive damage of the from hazards which were set up. Cleric support from Pokemon such as Florges and Blissey is appreciated too, as burn will be troublesome for Mega Sceptile. Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful too to keep Mega Sceptile healthy. (this can be included in the Cleric support as, "Wish and cleric support" since Florges, Umbreon, and Blissey preform the same job)

Other Options
########

Iron Tail is an attack that can be used to hit Fairy-types super effectively which threaten Mega Sceptile, but is inaccurate and hasn't got doesn't have good overall coverage. Rock Slide is another option for hitting Chandelure better, as well as it hits Flying-types resisting Sceptile's Grass STABs better, but most types are hit well by Dragon Pulse as well and Fire-types are better hit by Earthquake anyway. Leech Seed is an option to recover Sceptile a bit, but it mostly doesn't have the bulk to pull one of. Synthesis is a status move which can provide recovery for Sceptile, but Sceptile does not have the bulk to pull one of on a turn without getting hurt badly.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Florges, Aromatisse, (AC) and Whimsicott are the most reliable counters to Mega Sceptile, as they all can take a hit and beat it with a STAB attack.

**Revenge Killers**: Revenge killers such as Mega Aerodactyl and Scarf Darmanitan can come in and KO Sceptile with one of their STAB attacks, as Sceptile doesn't have great bulk.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Celebi can come in on switch into Mega Sceptile's attack and steadily recover damage back, and they can KO it after.

Tried as best as I can with this one. >.<
Tagging GatoDelFuego and P Squared

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey man, looks like you didn't read my post properly. I said put Timid as the primary nature on the first set as Giga Drain is the first slash in the fourth moveslot. Naive should be a secondary slash.

So it should look like this:

All-Out Offensive
########

And make sure you edit Set Details accordingly to look something like this:

possible, and the Speed EVs are backed up by a Timid nature, which allows it to speedtie Jolly Mega Beedrill and outspeed Choice Scarf Timid Chandelure. However, a Naive nature should be used when running Earthquake and the HP EVs can be shifted into Attack.

Hey man, looks like you didn't read my post properly. I said put Timid as the primary nature on the first set as Giga Drain is the first slash in the fourth moveslot. Naive should be a secondary slash.

So it should look like this:

All-Out Offensive
########

And make sure you edit Set Details accordingly to look something like this:

possible, and the Speed EVs are backed up by a Timid nature, which allows it to speedtie Jolly Mega Beedrill and outspeed Choice Scarf Timid Chandelure. However, a Naive nature should be used when running Earthquake and the HP EVs can be shifted into Attack.
Apologies, will do soon!

Alright, removed mentions of the banned Pokemon including Serperior, and edited the set plus the set details to reflect this. Ready for GP.

-- amcheck ahead --
add, remove, (comments), Capitalization​
Overview
########

Sceptile has an excellent combination of offensive stats and Speed. It also has access to good coverage options in its wide movepool. Furthermore, it has a pretty decent ability as a Mega in Lightning Rod which makes Mega Sceptile a good switch in into Electric-type attacks. Mega Sceptile has a decent defensive typing, with a handful of useful resistances, but it also has a lot of weaknesses. Mega Sceptile also has acceptable defenses, but not very good. Even though Mega Sceptile's Speed is rather great, it is still outsped by a lot of common Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Mienshao, as well as it speed ties (added space in between "speed" and "ties") with Mega Beedrill, and is outsped by Mega Aerodactyl.

All-Out Offensive
########

Moves
========

Leaf Storm is a very powerful Grass-type STAB which has great a considerably high base power, but harshly drops Sceptile's Special Attack after. Focus Blast is another powerful Fighting-type attack which has great overall coverage, but it is a little inaccurate. Dragon Pulse is a secondary STAB attack for Mega Sceptile which hits most types for good neutral coverage. Giga Drain is another good STAB attack that recovers Sceptile a bit and doesn't have a drawback, unlike Leaf Storm, and therefore can be used in the fourth slot. Earthquake can be chosen in the fourth slot as it hits Pokemon such as Chandelure and Infernape for better damage and also has great coverage. Hidden Power Fire can also be used in the fourth slot to 2HKO Assault Vest Escavalier, and also hits also hitting Doublade and Forretress better, but is a bit underpowered.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is Sceptile's ability before Mega Evolving, but isn't really useful as Sceptile tends to Mega Evolve directly anyway. Lightning Rod allows Mega Sceptile an immunity to Electric-type attacks, making it a perfect switch in into them. Max Special Attack investment ensures Mega Sceptile hits as hard as possible, and the Speed EVs are backed up by a Naive nature, which allows it to speed tie (added space in between "speed" and "tie") with Jolly Mega Beedrill and outspeed Choice Scarf Timid Chandelure. A Timid nature is the used nature, assuming Sceptile runs Giga Drain or Hidden Power Fire. If it runs Earthquake, a Naive nature is recommended, and the 4 HP EVs can be shifted into Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Sceptile will get a huge boost in offense. Use Leaf Storm sparingly, as it will harshly drop its Sceptile's Special Attack after use, leaving Mega Sceptile it a bit weak. If it has been used, switch out to reset the drop in Special Attack. Mega Sceptile is a good switch into (removed space in between "in" and "to") Electric-type attacks, as it will raise its Special Attack, but it can also switch into Water- and Grass-type attacks for teammates. But, this should be carefully played, as the opponent can predict the switch, and hit Mega Sceptile with a Dragon Pulse from Mega Ampharos more effective move. This Sceptile can also be used as a late-game cleaner once the special walls are gone. Bringing Mega Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good too, as it doesn't have the bulk to switch in itself.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can bring Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, (RC) make good teammates as Sceptile does not have the bulk to switch in. An example of these Pokemon is Forretress. Physical attackers such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Haxorus make good partners as well because they can break through specially defensive Pokemon such as Florges and Blissey that hinder Mega Sceptile. Pokemon such as Toxicroak and Escavalier that can beat the Fairy-types that hinder Mega Sceptile make good partners too. Teammates such as Infernape, Rotom-Heat and Crobat are fine also good because they beat Grass-types which hinder trouble Mega Sceptile while on the field. Hazard setters such as the aforementioned Forretress, (AC) and Nidoqueen are good partners as they can help Mega Sceptile net KO foes earlier with the hazards they've set up. Lastly, Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful too, (AC) to keep Mega Sceptile healthy.

Substitute Attacker
########

Moves
========

Substitute allows Sceptile to avoid status moves, as well as and it is also a great move to use on a forced switch; this allows Sceptile a free attacking turn, unless the opposing Pokemon uses a sound-move or has Infiltrator as their ability. Giga Drain is a STAB move with a decent base power, decent coverage, and has excellent synergy with Substitute as it recovers Sceptile a bit, allowing it to set up more Substitutes. Dragon Pulse is a more ("more reliable" makes it sound like a slash on Giga Drain) reliable STAB attack which hits most types for neutral coverage. Focus Blast is used in the fourth slot to hit Steel-types such as Mega Aggron and Lucario hard as they resist Sceptile's dual STAB attacks, and Focus Blast also has furthermore great overall coverage.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is Sceptile's ability before Mega Evolving, but doesn't provide much use outside of letting Giga Drain hit harder when at low health, and Sceptile will Mega Evolve directly anyway. Lightning Rod is Sceptile's ability as Mega Forme, which means that Mega Sceptile can absorb Electric-type attacks upon switching in, as it will boost its Special Attack by one stage. The invested EVs maximize Mega Sceptile's offensive capabilities and the Timid nature lets Mega Sceptile speed tie (added space in between "speed" and "tie") with Jolly Mega Beedrill as well as letting Mega Sceptile outspeed Choice Scarf Timid Chandelure, and the 4 remaining EVs go in HP to let Mega Sceptile set up 5 Substitutes at max if it cannot go for Giga Drain.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve as soon as possible, as Sceptile will get a huge boost in its offensive stats, as well as its Defense gets a small boost in its Defense stat. Use Substitute on a predicted switch; this allows Mega Sceptile to get a free attacking turn most of the time. Sceptile is a good switch in into Electric-type attacks as a Mega, as it will raise Mega Sceptile's Special Attack, making it even more powerful. However, Sceptile should switch in carefully, because Dragon Pulse Mega Ampharos can knock it out if the opponent predicts the switch. Mega Sceptile is a good switch in into Grass- and Water-type attacks, as it can easily take an attack because of a double resistance, and it can hit them after with a powerful STAB attack, or just Substitute up. Although Sceptile can switch into certain type of attacks, it isn't bulky enough to switch into most neutral-damaging attacks, so bringing it in with after a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good as it ensures Sceptile gets a safe switch in so it can Mega Evolve right after.

Team Options
========

As mentioned in Usage Tips, slow U-turn or Volt Switch users such as Forretress are good teammates as they help Sceptile switch in safely. Fire-types such as Infernape and Chandelure are useful, as they can take Ice-type attacks that bother Mega Sceptile, (AC) and beat defeat them afterwards. Steel- and Poison-types such as Escavalier, Nidoking and Nidoqueen are useful for beating the Fairy-types that threaten Mega Sceptile. Physical wallbreakers such as Pangoro, Krookodile and Haxorus can break through specially defensive walls for Sceptile, and therefore make good partners too. Pokemon weak to Grass-, Water-, or Electric-types appreciate Mega Sceptile as a teammate as it can switch into these attacks and beat those Pokemon. Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful too, (AC) to keep Mega Sceptile healthy.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance allows Sceptile to boost its Attack to great levels. Leaf Blade is a powerful STAB attack with decent coverage. Dragon Claw is a secondary STAB which forms great coverage along with Leaf Blade except against Dragon-types. Outrage is another usable Dragon-type attack with more power than Dragon Claw, but leaves it Sceptile with confusion and unable to switch out. Earthquake is an option for in the last slot which as it hits the Steel-types that resist Mega Sceptile's STAB combination. Drain Punch is a final option to use because it can break through common walls that usually would switch into Sceptile, such as Blissey and Umbreon.

Set Details
========

Overgrow is the ability of Sceptile before Mega Evolving, but doesn't prove much utility. Lightning Rod is Sceptile's ability after Mega Evolving and makes it perfectly suitable for an Electric-type switch in. Sceptilite allows Sceptile to Mega Evolve and gain a huge boost in stats. Max Attack and max Speed max out Mega Sceptile's capabilities and the Jolly nature allows it to outspeed Choice Scarf Chandelure and speed tie (added space between "speed" and "tie") with max Speed Jolly Mega Beedrill.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Evolve directly when possible, as Sceptile will become way more powerful than in its normal forme. Use Swords Dance on a forced switch; this gives Sceptile an way easier time to sweep. Mega Sceptile can almost be easily switched in for free into Water-, Grass- and Electric-type attacks; it takes barely anything from the former two type attacks, and is immune to the latter. But, it should certainly be wary of Scald, as this can burn Sceptile and weaken it a lot. Bringing Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is good as it usually doesn't have to bulk to switch in itself. (you sure mentioned that everywhere...)

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can bring Sceptile in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, (RC) make good teammates as Sceptile mostly doesn't have enough bulk to switch in itself. An example of these Pokemon who that can bring it in safely is Forretress. Special wallbreakers such as Chandelure and Hydreigon that can take care of some physical walls such as Forretress and Gligar that hinder Mega Sceptile during sweeping, (RC) are excellent teammates too. Pokemon that take advantage of this Sceptile luring in special walls, such as Chandelure, (if you're mentioning Chandelure as a special wall, then remove the comma before "such as" otherwise you're fine) make good partners too. Pokemon such as Escavalier that can reliably beat the Fairy-types that hinder get in Mega Sceptile's way, (AC) make good partners as well. Crobat and Rotom-Heat can take care of Grass-types and are good partners too. Hazard setters such as Nidoqueen, Froslass and Forretress are good partners teammates as they can help Mega Sceptile KOing opponents earlier because of the prior damage of the hazards which were set up. Cleric support from Pokemon such as Florges and Blissey is appreciated too, as burn will be is troublesome for Mega Sceptile. Wish support from Umbreon and Blissey is useful too to keep Mega Sceptile healthy.

Other Options
########

Iron Tail is an attack that can be used to hit Fairy-types super effectively which threaten Mega Sceptile, super effectively, but Iron Tail is inaccurate and hasn't got doesn't have good overall coverage. Rock Slide is another option for hitting Chandelure better, as well as it hits hitting Flying-types resisting Sceptile's Grass STABs, (AC) for more damage better, but most types are hit well by Dragon Pulse as well and Fire-types are better hit by Earthquake anyway. Leech Seed is an option to recover Sceptile a bit, but it mostly doesn't have the bulk to pull one the trick off. Synthesis is a status recovery move which can provide recovery for help Sceptile survive longer, but Sceptile it does not have the bulk to pull one off on a turn without getting hurt badly.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Florges, Aromatisse and Whimsicott are the most reliable counters to Mega Sceptile, as they all can take a hit and beat defeat it with a STAB attack.

**Revenge Killers**: Revenge killers such as Mega Aerodactyl and Scarf Darmanitan can come in and KO Sceptile with one of their STAB attacks, as Sceptile doesn't have great bulk.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Whimsicott can come on Mega Sceptile's attack and steadily recover damage back, and they can KO it afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)