Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Actually shiny charm works a lot...yesterday while I was ev training my shiny 6iv greninja...I use sweet scent to lure a horde...and I get two shiny gligar...and shiny charm also work in mm too...728 eggs hatches...2 shiny greninja...
I didn't mean that the shiny charm doesn't work, it just doesn't seem to be giving me any luck with breeding x_x I'm nearing 1500 eggs now and no shiny, however yesterday I took a break to practice chaining with the pokeradar and I was able to get a shiny ducklett at a chain of 15. I definitely think it influenced that.

I finally got my shiny charm and would like to participate in this research. I'm going to pledge 150 eggs at a time until I get the shiny, then I'll move on to the next Pokemon. First up is Helioptile, breeding ENG Heliolisk x SPA Ditto.

Update: Just finished my first batch of 150 eggs, no shiny. On to the next batch.

Last edited:
Finally got the shiny ralts! After I switched the mother out, I got it after 9 eggs... And it was a girl, but unfortunately it doesn't have max SpA. Will try for another with this mother!

Update: 292 froakie eggs, still no shiny.
When I left my little froakie at daycarry it was 1 level, now it's 55 level. lol
Edit: 317 eggs, no shiny.

Last edited:
Id love to contribute my data, but I hardly believe it's accurate. I was having extremely good luck initially, but now, it's been taking me much longer to get a shiny via MM. What is the rate expected to be if you have the shiny charm along with MM? Here's my progress, but you can just disregard it for the data if it seems too general. I continued hatching the rest of my eggs after finding the shiny.

Sandile x1 - 180 eggs
Scyther x1 - 410 eggs
Murkrow x1- 10 eggs
Noibat x1- 390 eggs
Gligar x1- 30 eggs
Frillish x2 - 200 eggs
Porygon x1- 300 eggs
Cleffa x1- 450 eggs
Skarmory x1- 920 eggs
Vullaby - 800 eggs

Things started to get unlucky for me in the end. I'm still going for vullaby. Once again, this might not be accurate, since I got some eggs while switching stuff around, but my rate so far when I was seriously using MM is 1 shiny per 339 eggs. Which i still believe is pretty high. Why are vullaby only female? It sure makes it hard to pass egg moves.

It could be worse though, last gen I tried MM, and I got a single tynamo in over 2000 eggs, and it had a meh nature.

Id love to contribute my data, but I hardly believe it's accurate. I was having extremely good luck initially, but now, it's been taking me much longer to get a shiny via MM. What is the rate expected to be if you have the shiny charm along with MM? Here's my progress, but you can just disregard it for the data if it seems too general. I continued hatching the rest of my eggs after finding the shiny.

Sandile x1 - 180 eggs
Scyther x1 - 410 eggs
Murkrow x1- 10 eggs
Noibat x1- 390 eggs
Gligar x1- 30 eggs
Frillish x2 - 200 eggs
Porygon x1- 300 eggs
Cleffa x1- 450 eggs
Skarmory x1- 920 eggs
Vullaby - 800 eggs

Things started to get unlucky for me in the end. I'm still going for vullaby. Once again, this might not be accurate, since I got some eggs while switching stuff around, but my rate so far when I was seriously using MM is 1 shiny per 339 eggs. Which i still believe is pretty high. Why are vullaby only female? It sure makes it hard to pass egg moves.

It could be worse though, last gen I tried MM, and I got a single tynamo in over 2000 eggs, and it had a meh nature.
The standard here has been about 1/410, so maybe you're just lucky.
Also can't males pass down egg moves as of gen 6?

The standard here has been about 1/410, so maybe you're just lucky.
Also can't males pass down egg moves as of gen 6?
Yeah, it just meant i needed to find a murkrow or something. It also meant I can't get the optimal parent pairing to generate eggs faster. All right, I guess I'm still at a good range. I guess I am pretty lucky, I got my shiny vullaby 20 minutes ago. I just didn't notice because I was watching Arrow. holy crap, that ending...

so...
Sandile x1 - 180 eggs
Scyther x1 - 410 eggs
Murkrow x1- 10 eggs
Noibat x1- 390 eggs
Gligar x1- 30 eggs
Frillish x2 - 200 eggs
Porygon x1- 300 eggs
Cleffa x1- 450 eggs
Skarmory x1- 920 eggs
Vullaby x1- 860 eggs

Total Masuda egg count: 8170

Shiny: 14
(1002th egg) Kricketot (Pokeball)
(1088th egg) Blitzle (Pokeball)
(2376th egg) Cottonee (Pokeball)
(3340th egg) Eevee (Love Ball)
(3840th egg) Misdreavus (Moon Ball)
(3841th egg) Shuppet (Moon Ball)
(5108th egg) Vulpix (Love Ball)
(5343th egg) Cherubi (Love Ball)
(5410th egg) Mawile (Moon Ball)
(5767th egg) Yamask (Moon Ball)
(6183th egg) Ralts (Love Ball)
(7623th egg) Fennekin (Pokeball)
(7852th egg) Sandshrew (Friend Ball)
(8167th egg) Roselia (Love Ball)

Ive been trying to get a shiny froakie via masuda method and shiny charm and after 2200 eggs i still have no luck but ill keep trying and tell you once ive done it

In anyone's opinion, when breeding for a competitive shiny pokemon, is it worth the risk to try for a hidden ability shiny? I was disappointed when I got a shiny gligar, with the wrong ability. I shouldn't be that picky, since it was lucky i got it in 30 eggs, but I might want a torchic and I dunno if it's worth the risk of getting the wrong one. Then again, mega-blaziken gets speed boost regardless.

341 eggs, still no shiny. I am about to give up. :(

Hang tough, guy. 341 eggs is nothing! I've done multiple batches of 480 with no shinies. Just gather a bunch of eggs at once (I do 4 species each with 120 eggs), and then use a chip-clip to hold down the D-Pad while I'm watching TV. Makes it go by so much faster

Another batch down, 100 new! Little slower now since I'm breeding a few new things, and not explicitly aiming for shinies. Still, 100 fresh masuda/shiny charm eggs to add to the tally.

800 eggs, 3 shinies total.
Adding to this : Two more batches, two more shinies. I'm at 1,000 eggs, 5 shinies. Two Venipede, one Gastly, and two Bulbasaur.

In anyone's opinion, when breeding for a competitive shiny pokemon, is it worth the risk to try for a hidden ability shiny? I was disappointed when I got a shiny gligar, with the wrong ability. I shouldn't be that picky, since it was lucky i got it in 30 eggs, but I might want a torchic and I dunno if it's worth the risk of getting the wrong one. Then again, mega-blaziken gets speed boost regardless.
It sucks when it doesn't have the right nature but it's definitely worth it. My first shiny Froakie didn't get Protean but next two did. Make sure the mother has the hidden ability. That makes it an 80% chance of passing down the ability. Luckily, I'm trying for a Dry Skin Heliolisk, so if it doesn't have the right nature I canjust give it an Ability Capsule.

Btw, I just finished my 2nd batch of eggs and no shiny. So that makes 300 eggs so far. I'll start on the next batch sometime today and finish hatching them tomorrow. I would hatch these a lot quicker but I don't have that much free time.

Last edited:
In anyone's opinion, when breeding for a competitive shiny pokemon, is it worth the risk to try for a hidden ability shiny?
With the Vulpix I MMed before the shiny charm, I wanted the HA. What I did, was get BOTH parents having the HA. It took a little longer to get the 5IV parents, but most (90% of the offspring) had the HA. If the shiny doesn't have the ability you want, at least you got a shiny? You can always keep going and I'm sure there are plenty of people that would take the unwanted one off your hands :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)