(Singles) The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Heatran] ~ NOMINATIONS ~

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the lateness in opening the votes for this, I guess I'm not much better than Montsegur haha.

I had a set in mind when I posted Latios, although ethan06 sorta half stole it. I'll post it anyway since it is kinda similar..

Mega Salamence v2.0

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake / Zen Headbutt
- Draco Meteor

Could probably do with a more creative EV spread to get some bulk to aid setup, but looking through the speed tiers list made me think he should just outspeed everything possible haha. Base 120 Attack isn't something to scoff at, so I feel like physical Mega Latios is viable (although outclassed massively by Mega Mence). The big benefit of running this guy over Mence is that you have a much stronger Draco Meteor to use against physical walls. Dragon + Ground gives good neutral coverage, or you can go for Zen Headbutt for dual STAB (and be able to hit stuff like Mega Venu, regular Gengar and Mega Heracross...

I was hoping for more entries this week since Latios has a pretty big movepool and good stats which allow it to do lots of stuff (like PPB said you could potentially go Draco Meteor/Swagger/T-Wave/Memento), but alas, I'm going to call it and start the voting:

Nominees:

Good luck to all!

Voting for NOVED, I want to try that set but with Memento > Draco Meteor as a dedicated lead that can assist something in setting up

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Namdachu - Luster Purge is a bit unreliable at 50% but still a really cool move to hit something on the switch-in before nuking a would-be counter with Draco Meteor.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Namdachu for using a very uncommon move. The 50/50 is not really a huge deal, as we already often rely on the 30% of Scald. Luster Purge is still strong enough to take out a lot of things weak to Psychic anyway, so it's not a total waste if it doesn't activate.

The set still loses to Tyranitar, but most of these sets do so it's not a big deal.

voting for Nam, mostly just cause all these physical mega latis are kind of a waste of a mega imo, especially since life orb does more damage.

edit: not to hate on the sets though, theres not much else to do with the mega anyway i guess if you are going to use it.

Last edited:
you were hating on the physical sets haha
i was mostly hating on mega sets in general, since life orb does more damage. and you still lose to tar even with eq, only does like 68 to max speed tar while you're getting ohko'd.

BUT yeah, physical sets in general i feel are outclassed by mence, altaria, zard x and dragonite lol

Aah, racking in all the votes for my genius 12/10 skills :>

I actually cant say who I'm voting for, but I guess I'll vote for **NOVED** as a nuke + screens is p. cool n_n
<3 beardman

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voting is closed for this week, congratulations again to Namdachu on back-to-back wins! Turns out that Latios' signature move isn't so bad after all (where's a Heart Scale when you need one?)

This week we'll be focusing on a Pokemon that has gained a bit of hype with its recently released Hidden Ability. Although it has a lot of potential on paper, using it effectively is quite the task. This week's victim is none other than Serperior! What do you think is the best way to utilise its boosting capabilities? Or do you have a set that doesn't even focus on Leaf Storm? Do you have an interesting Hidden Power type that gets you out of a bind? Or do you make the most of his great support movepool?

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DragonWhale mentioned this set in the Serperior analysis thread, and I sorta want to try it!

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Glare / Light Screen / Hidden Power Fire

From what Dragonwhale told me, some people were using this set to screw with Mega Kangaskhan and Garchomp. Reflect + Synthesis + Rocky Helmet would screw up both of them, giving Serperior a niche as this defensive booster. Glare is for paralyzing stuff in case Serperior cant sweep, Light Screen cuz "dem screens", and Hidden Power Fire to screw over Ferrothorn. I might give this set a try next season =)

gg all n_n

Serperior Time boiiz :]]]

Pokemon: Serperior
Ability: Contrary(ofc)
Item: Leftovers/Meadow Plate
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe /
Nature: Bold
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire] / [Ground] / Taunt
- Synthesis
- Wrap
So yeah, this adorable, majestic snake is a monster with it's new released Ability, Contrary. With Contrary + Leaf Storm, it can boost its spA by two stages every time it uses Leaf Storm. So because of this, I decided that it doesn't need any investment in it's Special Attack to sweep. I ran 64 Speed EVs to outspeed Skarmory w/ no Speed Investment, and even with Sturdy, its not like a Brave Bird would do anything n_n Running a Bold Nature the EVs I selected makes it incredibly bulky,
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 200+ Def Serperior: 168-198 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 244 HP / 200+ Def Serperior: 186-220 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 244 HP / 200+ Def Serperior: 217-256 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And you get the gist of it, it's fairly bulky :P
Lefties to gain more HP along with Synthesis. Synthesis for recovery, ofc. Taunt to help beat stall users. (This set has beaten a Blissey 1v1, sorry I can't provide proof. :[ ) Leaf Storm is obvious. HP Fire to OHKO Mega Scizor after one contrary boost. Or you can run HP Ground to beat Heatran / Magnezone. So yeah, this has been my version of Serperior n_n

EDIT: I DECIDED TO BE INNOVATIVE. I'm now using Wrap over Taunt so I can trap the mon and effectively setup & kill them, unless it's a good Serperior Wall, like Chansey, or wobbuffet n_n
~Namdoo

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yo Namdachu you might want to check your EVs / calcs. The EVs you used for the Talonflame calc were different to the EVs you provided in the actual set (and the Scizor EVs), and the calcs are accounting for a Jolly, no boosting item Brave Bird (ie: no Sky Plate / Life Orb / Choice Band) so it's making you look overly bulky. Adamant is the overwhelmingly popular nature according to the PGL statistics, and Choice Band is the number 1 item (closely followed by Life Orb) so these calcs look really unrealistic (your Serp takes 96%-113% from Adamant Choice Band). But even if you do EV Serp to survive a Brave Bird, you don't have HP Rock to hit it back with, so it seems a bit redundant (especially since TFlame quad-resists Leaf Storm)

Sorry to pick apart your nomination like this, I just felt like these things needed to be said :)

Yo Namdachu you might want to check your EVs / calcs. The EVs you used for the Talonflame calc were different to the EVs you provided in the actual set (and the Scizor EVs), and the calcs are accounting for a Jolly, no boosting item Brave Bird (ie: no Sky Plate / Life Orb / Choice Band) so it's making you look overly bulky. Adamant is the overwhelmingly popular nature according to the PGL statistics, and Choice Band is the number 1 item (closely followed by Life Orb) so these calcs look really unrealistic (your Serp takes 96%-113% from Adamant Choice Band). But even if you do EV Serp to survive a Brave Bird, you don't have HP Rock to hit it back with, so it seems a bit redundant (especially since TFlame quad-resists Leaf Storm)

Sorry to pick apart your nomination like this, I just felt like these things needed to be said :)
Oops, sorry. I usually mess up calcs ;-;
And yeah, I'll change my post n' stuff. Thanks for noticing this bud <3 cant say

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
cant say
It's been two weeks, shouldn't we be moving on? o.o
Yeah sorry about that! I guess I was just holding off in the hopes that more people would post as I didn't want to open the voting up to two nominees... I guess I could throw in a set but Theorymon posted the one I like, and the only thing I could think of that's a bit wacky was a speedy shuffler set:

Serp @ Red Card / Leftovers / something
Ability: Overgrow
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Coil / Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Obviously this needs Stealth Rock (and maybe even Toxic Spikes since Mega Gengar is the only grounded Poison-type that's running around) set up but once it is (and providing there isn't a Talonflame on the opposing team) you can put yourself to sleep and use Sleep Talk with your nice 113 base speed and ignore the negative priority of phasing moves to shuffle the opponents team around and rack up entry hazard damage. Coil is cool since it beefs you up a bit (will actually survive a Brave Bird from Banded Talonflame at +2) and takes away the chance to miss with Dragon Tail, but Roar can be used instead to give yourself a better chance of selecting a phasing move (2/3 chance right? You can still select Rest I think, haven't played RestTalk in a long time). The Red Card can be used to force something out on the same turn as you use Dragon Tail, forcing two switches in one turn, this racking up damage. Although it's only a one-time use, it could at least force out a Talonflame switch in as it kills you with Brave Bird, meaning it will die the next time it comes in from Stealth Rock!

Think of this as BW2 Riolu but not as good because that at least had Priority hahaha

Anyway, I'll allow for a day or two for people to vote and we'll move on. Maybe Serp just didn't have as many options as I thought so people didn't have anything to post about :(

A new thing we're gonna start doing is to explain why you're voting for a set, instead of just posting the name of the user. You don't need to get too detailed, but some feedback would be cool to hear.

I'm gonna vote for Theorymon since the Rocky Helmet + Reflect set has actually become the most popular set according to the PGL since this started! Such a visionary he is

edit: hahaha I shouldn't have copy-pasted Nam's set as a template. I even took out the '(ofc)' and moved the item section around, how did I miss that? lel. I was actually thinking to myself while writing "hey Contrary is at least good for getting a boost from Intimidate and King's Shield so Dragon Tail might actually do some damage!"

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah sorry about that! I guess I was just holding off in the hopes that more people would post as I didn't want to open the voting up to two nominees... I guess I could throw in a set but Theorymon posted the one I like, and the only thing I could think of that's a bit wacky was a speedy shuffler set:

Serp @ Red Card / Leftovers / something
Ability: Contrary
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Coil / Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Obviously this needs Stealth Rock (and maybe even Toxic Spikes since Mega Gengar is the only grounded Poison-type that's running around) set up but once it is (and providing there isn't a Talonflame on the opposing team) you can put yourself to sleep and use Sleep Talk with your nice 113 base speed and ignore the negative priority of phasing moves to shuffle the opponents team around and rack up entry hazard damage. Coil is cool since it beefs you up a bit (will actually survive a Brave Bird from Banded Talonflame at +2) and takes away the chance to miss with Dragon Tail, but Roar can be used instead to give yourself a better chance of selecting a phasing move (2/3 chance right? You can still select Rest I think, haven't played RestTalk in a long time). The Red Card can be used to force something out on the same turn as you use Dragon Tail, forcing two switches in one turn, this racking up damage. Although it's only a one-time use, it could at least force out a Talonflame switch in as it kills you with Brave Bird, meaning it will die the next time it comes in from Stealth Rock!

Think of this as BW2 Riolu but not as good because that at least had Priority hahaha

Anyway, I'll allow for a day or two for people to vote and we'll move on. Maybe Serp just didn't have as many options as I thought so people didn't have anything to post about :(

A new thing we're gonna start doing is to explain why you're voting for a set, instead of just posting the name of the user. You don't need to get too detailed, but some feedback would be cool to hear.

I'm gonna vote for Theorymon since the Rocky Helmet + Reflect set has actually become the most popular set according to the PGL since this started! Such a visionary he is
Worth noting that Contrary is not that useful on a set without Leaf Storm, and actually terrible if you're running Coil. rip cant say ;_;

I'm gonna vote for Theorymon this time round as can't say just copied my coil tactic ;; Yeah, Theory's set is amazing, ngl. gg Theory, nice and originality n_n

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
OP said:
Pretty much if it would make it onto a main set of an analysis then it is considered to be standard.
Lucky for Theorymon we started this before we started talking about actually adding this set to Serp's analysis due to it's newfound popularity! I'm ending the voting and declaring him the winner since he's leading 6-0 and this is way overdue to be finished. Congratulations Tmon, I'll log you shortly!

For the next Pokemon we're gonna go back to gen 1 with something that has been consistently strong throughout every generation, whose strength also carries over to the Battle Spot Singles metagame with its well-rounded stats, interesting typing, enormous movepool, fantastic abilities, and even sports a mega evolution. This week we'll be discussing Gyarados! What unique sets have you seen, used, or see some potential in?

* do note that your set can be for either normal or mega Gyarados *

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)