[STABmons] Espeon [QC 0/3]

[Overview]
Espeon serves almost a completely unique role in STAbmons as the lone Magic Bounce user that doesn't require a turn of set up for it, letting decently protect your team from entry hazards and being a relatively safe Sableye switch-in. Thanks to its access to normal type moves from its pre-evolution,
[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Light Screen
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Lovely Kiss
move 4: Lunar Dance / Baton Pass / Psyshock
item: Light Clay
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Timid
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen are the point to use this set, since they enable sweepers to have essentially double their defenses while they set up, and Espeon's Magic Bounce ensures that they can't be stopped by Taunt. Lovely Kiss, combined with Espeon's high base 110 speed mean that it will usually be able to put something to sleep making it have an easier time putting up the screens, or put something to sleep afterwards, allowing the incoming sweeper possibly a free turn of setup. Lunar Dance is the preferred final moveslot since not only does it ensure that the sweeper can come in safely and will have switch initiative over the opponent, but also prevents the opponent from defogging the screens (or clearing any hazards) on the switch into your sweeper. Baton Pass is a similar alternative if you want Espeon to be able to provide screen support multiple times throughout the match. It should be considered however, that hard switching with a Lunar Dance set is always an option. Psyshock is there if the user is paranoid about Espeon being in a last pokemon left situation, and doesn't want it to be useless, as well as being able to pick off weakened opponents.
Set Details
========
Light Clay is the preferred item because it extends the amount of time the screens last, making it more useful to Espeon's teammates. Timid Nature makes you as fast as possible to try and ensure that you can set up screens before your opponent attacks Espeon, and lowers an unused attack stat. The given ev spread makes Espeon as fast as possible to try and ensure it is able to get at least one screen up or put the opponent to sleep. The rest of the evs are put into HP to maximize neutral bulk since there is no attack on this set (max HP is still recommended on sets carrying Psyshock), while the remaining are put into defense to try and help take the more common physical moves slightly better. Magic Bounce is what sets Espeon apart from other Dual Screeners, since it makes the opponent unable to Taunt Espeon or try to phaze it out while it is setting screens, or even remove them with Defog.
Usage Tips
========
Espeon is not a win condition in itself, and shouldn't be the thing that you're trying to preserve into the late game, and is usually the thing that a team can most easily sac without bearing consequences. However since it is such a powerful enabler for setup sweepers (usually the win condition), as well as its extreme frailty, it shouldn'tjust be brought in recklessly on strong attackers. The line does blur a bit though because the goal of the set is to come in on predicted entry hazards, and the hazard setter will often be a strong attacker. If Espeon does have a free switch in from a KO or a pivot, don't try and bring it in if the opponent currently has an Extreme Speed user, a setup sweeper (although Lovely Kiss could be used to check them), or any faster pokemon. If you are forced to only set up one of your two screens, Reflect is usually the better option since it weakens the power of the opponent's Fake Out + Extreme Speed user, which is typical go-to way to stop a setup sweeper. This does not mean that Reflect is always better, and the correct screen is often based on what type of attacker is currently out. Lunar Dance is typically a move that can be waited until after the first time Espeon comes out and once the your team gets weakened, and shouldn't just be rushed as a way to get a free switch. When choosing when to Lovely Kiss, factor in the opponent's current pokemon's ability to KO Espeon. If Espeon must put the pokemon to sleep on order to put up the screens then use it, but if it can be saved until after screens are up to allow the incoming sweeper to hard switch in safely and preserve Espeon, then that is more efficient use

Team Options
========
Belly Drum users, specifically Kangaskhan, Stoutland, and Snorlax, are some of the best things to pair with Espeon since the nature of their setup move puts them in a very risky situation, and they have some of the highest upside if they are able to successfully set up. Shift Gear users are some of the next best abusers of Espeon, since after one turn they are threatening, but with screens up and the natural bulk of pokemon like Mega Scizor and Aegislash they are able to get multiple turns of setup and get out of control. Defiant Bisharp also gets a special mention here, due to Sableye that try to phaze Espeon with Parting Shot, which gives a +3 attack boost. Lunar dance is particularly good for these two types of sweepers, because Belly Drum essentially requires for the pokemon to start at full HP, while often the only way to stop Shift Gear once it gets going is through priority status such as Sableye's Will-O-Wisp or Thundurus's Thunder Wave.
Substitute variants of Togekiss greatly appreciate screen support from Espeon, since it can become extremely hard to deal with if it has a Substitute, both screens, and a Geomancy boost. Shell Smash Cloyster becomes a lot better with both screens up, since it is nigh impossible to revenge kill with Fake Out + Extremespeed if it carries white herb, but the lack of power and still extreme special fragility set it back. Shell Smash Meloetta is better than Cloyster, however it doesn't become as hard to revenge kill since it isn't nearly as bulky on the physical side, but will usually manage 2-3 KOs as the opponent switches around trying to stall the Reflect out

[Strategy Comments]
Other Options
========
Choice Specs with Trick could be an option, however Espeon lacks strong coverage moves to hit the Steel and Dark types that commonly switch into it. Gaining Normal type moves gives it access to great support options like Heal Bell and Encore, as well as reliable recovery moves. This makes a wall set seem appealing, especially considering Magic Bounce making Espeon immune to Toxic and Thunder Wave, but it's frailty keeps it from being an effective wall. A dedicated anti hazard set with Rapid Spin, Lovely Kiss, Psyshock / Shadow Ball, and Baton Pass is effective as a spinner but struggles to beat most ghosts

Checks and Counters
========
  • **Fake Out + Extremespeed**: Due to Espeon's extreme physical frailty, Fake Out + Extremespeed can usually minimize the amounts of screens set.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • Overall this part is very light. You don't mention the merits of its typing (or demerits), you don't really mention what roles set it apart besides general MB utility (and it's most known as a Shell Smasher), and you don't talk about its access to Normal moves which might not be obvious to newer players.
  • For bullet point #2 I'd like to see more details regarding its versatility. You say it has different sets but you don't give us an idea what they are. It's not important to go in depth, but the overview should establish its main roles. (Screener and SS sweeper)
  • "however it holds the niche of needing to take a turn to Mega Evolve." I think you mean it doesn't need a turn to mega evolve, which is redundant considering the follow statement: "and not occupying the mega slot on a team."
  • Lack of priority leaves it vulnerable to all forms of other priority.
Set - Dual Screens (I'd prefer SS first)
  • There are no EVs
    • Set Comments
      • Looks good
    • Set Details
      • What does the Nature accomplish?
    • Usage Tips
      • This is good
    • Team Options
      • I'd like to see a comment about particular setup Pokemon that are vulnerable to status and how Lunar Dance gives them a second chance to sweep.
      • It's not as big an issue with this set, but Prankster Parting Shot phazes Espeon. I leave it up to you but a Defiant user could be worth mentioning.
Set - Shell Smash Sweeper
  • Shell Smash goes in slot #1 as it defines this role.
  • I don't see the need to have two separate SS sets. Espeon has a lot of flexibility but both achieve the same thing: Setting up and sweeping. Condense the sets and include options in Set Comments.
  • This is my preferred Set
    • Shell Smash
    • Stored Power / Psystrike
    • Judgment / Hidden Power
    • Lovely Kiss / Baton Pass / Dazzling Gleam
    • Item: Appropriate Plate or Focus Sash
    • Set Comments
      • Describe what Shell Smash does in more detail including the -1 drops.
      • Point out difference between Stored Power and Psystrike, mainly one depends entirely on boosting but has a higher damage output (140 BP) and overwhelms Unaware users whereas the other dishes out immediate power.
      • Techno Blast doesn't even deserve a mention because there is no Fighting-type Drive, the main type Espeon runs.
      • Judgment vs Hidden Power comes down to damage output vs Focus Sash utility.
      • Hurting Sableye with Dazzling Gleam can only happen if you hit on the switch somehow or it doesn't have Parting Shot. I don't know if Sableye is worth mentioning except for the mega forme.
      • I prefer Lovely Kiss first in the last slot for disabling a check that comes in predicting a Shell Smash.
      • Then Baton Pass to pass boosts when you can't sweep, then Dazzling Gleam.
      • You can even mention Shadow Ball for coverage though its use is only notable for hitting other Psychics hard.
      • You can add Protect also for the reasons you included on the second SS set.
    • Set Details
      • Condense Set Details for both SS sets, mentioning all of Fist and Flame Plate and Focus Sash.
      • What does the Nature accomplish?
    • Usage Tips
      • Sableye is not something you can set up on as it phazes you with Parting Shot.
      • Hit potential checks on the switch without using Shell Smash so you can weaken them over the course of the match, similar to how GeoKiss wears down Heatran before finally using Geomancy.
    • Team Options
      • Scarf Lando-T is a common fast U-turner.
      • "Steels and other checks to Fake Out + Extremespeed" ??? Name them. Ferrothorn, Aegislash, Lando-T, etc.
      • Doesn't having hazards up help it nab important KOs? I'd list a few hazard setters.
      • Something to absorb priority Parting Shot is mandatory. Add a Defiant Pokemon.
Strategy Comments
  • OO
    • Good. Espeon never does anything else that I'm aware of.
  • Cs & Cs
    • Under Dark-types change Magic Guard to Magic Bounce.
    • Under Defog, I think you mean remove screens, not hazards.
    • Add Unaware Clefable if it lives Psystrike. Maybe combine it with Chansey.
    • For Scizor, a specific mention of Gear Grind is probably good, as it bypasses Focus Sash.

Implement and you're QC 1.

Last edited:
Just confirming that after conversation on PS!, you said that the Special Attacker / Magic Bounce General Utility set (set #2), should be dropped, and that there should only be a SS set and a Screen set. Also, I'm not going to switch the order of the two sets, since, while Espeon is more notable as being the icon of Shell Smash, the Shell Smash set is just worse than the Dual Screens set, not to mention other Shell Smashers in the tier.

Reactions: EV
Ready for QC 2! unfixable jeran

Some notable things that I did not implement from Eevee General's check:
  • Kept both phrases regarding mega evolution in the overview. While it does sound redundant, I think both have their merits to be there, especially since Espeon is light on the positives. The first part, about taking the time to mega evolve, is important since it lets the reader know that it is more immediately available to Magic Bounce hazards away. The second statement, about not occupying the mega slot, is important because it reminds readers about how competitive the mega slot on the team is, and that you don't face the opportunity cost of M-Scizor or M-Tyranitar if you run Espeon over M-Absol or M-Diancie.
  • I changed the order of the moves and items around from what he listed as his preference. My reasoning was that if there were only to be two sets, and the Shell Smash needed to just have a wider scope of what it does, then it should still be Shell Smash first and foremost, so the Focus Sash set (which is the better dedicated SS user) should get the first Slash in all moveslots
  • Choice Scarf Landorus-T was not listed as the fast U-Turner, since only 23% were Choice Scarf variants, while Talonflame ran U-Turn on roughly a quarter of its sets, and one of its main roles is the Band set.

Reactions: EV
ellipse im here to qc check!

overview
  • This is good
Set - Dual Screens

Set Comments:
  • moves: this is great
  • set details: mention that magic bounce prevents your screens from being removed by your opponent's defog
  • usage tips: not bad but you should mention the abusers of fake out+ extreme speed
  • team options: nothing needs to be changed
Set - Shell Smash Sweeper

SET COMMENTS
  • moves: mention how protect can beat fake out + extreme speed when having focus sash intact
  • Set Details: looks good!
  • usage tips:mention how much of a force espon is usually in late-mid game when most potential threats are taken out.
  • team options: looks great!

[Strategy Comments]

OO:
  • looking great! i havent seen any other espon, then those mentions above but spooky plate should get a mention but its not good because you will be risking a speed tie that could sweep you instead.
Checks and Counter
  • remove fast defoggers because defogging espeon doesnt remove screens.
implement and .... QC APPROVED!

EV

Banned deucer.
jeran doesn't Defog still remove screens against MBounce? It's a field effect, so it normally affects both sides. I don't see how MBounce changes that.

jeran doesn't Defog still remove screens against MBounce? It's a field effect, so it normally affects both sides. I don't see how MBounce changes that.
its not exactly a field effect because if both sides have screens and you defog, only one side is cleared since it only removes target's screens

Last edited:
So I implemented the most of the changes that jeran mentioned, but left out Spooky Plate since honestly it'll only hit Hoopa-reg among notable things for SE damage that something else doesn't let it cover. I also removed mention of Baton Pass on the Shell Smash set because of the new clause making it so you can't SmashPass anymore.

1 left, so I guess it's just you unfixable

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind need to write up sorry

EV

Banned deucer.
We need to drop Shell Smash ellipse unless you think SS/Stored Power or Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power is viable.

EV

Banned deucer.
I feel like SS+Stored Power is a noticeable niche even if it can't run Judgment anymore. It still maintains the benefit of Magic Bounce to block Roar/WW, Taunt, status, etc; as such it's the only Magic Bouncer that can abuse Smash, or any big setup move for that matter (Diancie doesn't run Geomancy without Power Herb afaik.)

However I leave the discretion to you. Even if SS+Stored Power is one of its niches, does that mean it's still viable? It's always going to be Focus Sash or White Herb now with the loss of Plates and Judgment, which makes it much easier to check with Heatran, Tyranitar, or Ferrothorn. The loss of Psystrike also lets Chansey come in a bit better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)