[STABmons] Terrakion [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC: The Reptile / /
GP: /​

[OVERVIEW]
  • Powerful attacker with high Speed that is very hard to stop.
  • Very nice wallbreaker as well.
  • Nearly perfect coverage in just its two coverage moves.
  • Great defensive typing and solid physical bulk make Terrakion a not-so-frail piston.
  • However, Terrakion can't take hits on the special side and has a few common weaknesses to watch out for.
  • Terrakion just doesn't have a large movepool beyond two moves, really, and it can be easy to scout because of this.
  • Terrakion loses to one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame, Mega Slowbro, which makes it tough to use effectively in some scenarios.
[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Diamond Storm
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Head Smash / Mach Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Justified
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Close Combat is Terrakion's main source of damage due to its immense power, great coverage, and reliability.
  • Diamond Storm forms nearly excellent coverage with Close Combat, hitting Flying- and Psychic-types for solid damage.
  • Swords Dance, on the other hand, turns Terrakion into a monster that only has a few solid answers.
  • Head Smash hits like a truck, but does wear down Terrakion quickly. Despite this, it is great at wallbreaking.
  • Mach Punch offers a strong form of priority and can pick off weakened Pokemon, or even revenge kill boosted Kyurem-B!
  • Earthquake is for extra coverage, really, and hits Steel-types using King's Shield. Otherwise, Rock / Fighting has nearly perfect coverage. It does make Terrakion's coverage quite redundant, however.
  • Taunt is a nice move to help get through bulkier Pokemon by limiting their recovery as well.
Set Details
========
  • Max Speed / Attack investment is necessary to abuse Terrakion's high Speed stat.
  • Life Orb is the optimal option so Terrakion can switch between its moves easily and inflict a ton of damage.
  • Choice Band is also a viable option, though, as it makes Terrakion even more difficult to switch into at the cost of being locked into one move.
  • Justified is nice if you happen to switch into a weak Dark-type attack and to absorb Knock Off if all else fails, but be careful, since losing Life Orb can suck.
Usage Tips
========
  • Terrakion should really just go for all-out attacking, utilizing its excellent coverage.
  • However, Terrakion's bulk is shaky, so try and keep it away from powerful Special Attacks.
  • Terrakion needs to stay away from faster attackers as well due to this.
  • Swords Dance / Stealth Rock should be used on guessed switches, since they leave Terrakion vulnerable.
  • Terrakion switches a lot since it doesn't appreciate many hits, so be sure to come prepared for that.
  • Besides that, Terrakion is fairly simple to use. Spam Close Combat, then Diamond Storm when the situation arises.
Team Options
========
  • Charizard Y appreciates Terrakion's wallbreaking prowess, while Terrakion can appreciate the beating of Quagsire and neutering of Water-types in general. And it beats Scizor!
  • Hazard setters like Lando-T are nice to help wear down the opponent.
  • Weavile is a powerful offensive partner that beats Lando-T. The two have strong type synergy.
  • Rotom-W beats Ground-types well and is a nice pivotal component.
  • Electric-types like Raikou are good partners overall because they can beat Water-types. Though Ground-types are problematic to the core.
  • Serperior, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Venusaur are a few examples of Grass-type sthat make nice partners to wear down Water-types and overall type synergy.
  • Hippowdon provides Sand, which boosts Terrakion's Special Defense in a pinch and is a nice partner to fall back on.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Final Gambit is an interesting choice, but at the cost of your Terrakion.
  • Dran Punch is a nice option, but is annoying to be locked into and can even be detrimental alongside Life Orb is not enough damage is recovered.
  • X-Scissor has the specific use of hitting both Slowbro and Celebi but is a poor move overall.
  • Head Smash is insanely powerful, but kills Terrakion so quickly.
  • Taunt gives defensive teams a run for their money.
  • Hidden Power Ice smacks Landorus-T, but is a poor option overall.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: Quagsire, Slowbro, and Suicune all do a great job of stopping Terrakion, and retaliating with a crippling Scald.

**Bulky Ground-types**: Hippowdon and Landorus-T stop Terrakion dead in its tracks.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Celebi and Slowbro do a solid job walling Terrakion and threatening them out with their Psychic-type STAB moves.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Serperior and Latios outspeed non-Choice Scarf Terrakion and can easily KO it. Though they cannot switch in.

**Priority**: Bullet Punch from Scizor, Ice Shard from Weavile (when weakened), Water Shuriken from Azumarill, and Will-O-Wisp from Sableye all keep Terrakion at bay.

Last edited:
qc: should i put like what for the final slot? you never really use it, and i just like aerial ace i guess. diamond storm / cc / earthquake / ???.

canno

formerly The Reptile
qc: should i put like what for the final slot? you never really use it, and i just like aerial ace i guess. diamond storm / cc / earthquake / ???.
I would put Head Smash in the last slot, and mention Taunt, Mach Punch, SD, and Aerial Ace as potential alternatives. Head Smash lets Terrak nuke shit hard to weaken shit for the rest of the team

EV

Banned deucer.
Why the heck are you running Earthquake? What set is this? Rock / Fighting is the only coverage it needs. The other slots are Stealth Rock, Mach Punch, Swords Dance, Taunt, Final Gambit, Drain Punch, or Head Smash.

Life Orb or Band/Scarf.

Why the heck are you running Earthquake? What set is this? Rock / Fighting is the only coverage it needs. The other slots are Stealth Rock, Mach Punch, Swords Dance, Taunt, Final Gambit, Drain Punch, or Head Smash.

Life Orb or Band/Scarf.
Earthquake is really useful lol. It hits Steel-types using King's Shield, and hits Klefki. It's not useless. Choice Band isn't running any of those, and CB Mach Punch sounds odd. Head Smash is cool though. I'll condense them. Maybe Final Gambit too.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Overview
  • Mention the resistance to SR and wallbreaking here
[SET] Physical Attacker

Moves
  • I honestly don't think Earthquake deserves to be on the main set. It really doesn't do much other than get around King's Shield on Steel-types (which you can get around by using SR / Taunt / SD / ect) and doesn't really hit that many Steel-types that Close Combat doesn't already hit. Maybe if Aegislash was still in the meta, but its not so I really don't think its worth having as a main slash. At most I think it should go into OO
  • Stealth Rock should probably go on its own set with Taunt and Focus Sash rather than being clumped onto the LO set, especially when there's better options on this set (Head Smash helps break walls, Mach Punch is useful as a priority move, Rock Polish to act as a sweeper, even Taunt is better than SR tbh)
  • All this said, I would probably make the set CC / Diamond Storm / SD or Head Smash / Mach Punch or Rock Polish
  • Mention EQ and Hidden Power Ice (w/Naive for Lando-T and TankChomp) here
Set Details
  • EV mention should be first
  • Justified mention isn't really needed since its the only ability it can use
Usage Tips
  • Good
Team Options
  • Mention that Terrakion likes hazard setters like Lando-T, as it helps Terrakion do its job of wallbreaking / cleaning up much easier
  • Mention Grass-type parterns as they can deal with both Water- and Ground-type Pokemon. Serperior, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Venusaur are all decent enough options
Additionally, I would put up 2 more sets - Choice Scarf and Focus Sash Rocks. Choice Scarf can use Head Smash very well, letting it have both power and speed at the cost of HP. Sash Rocks with Taunt is nice against other leads, such as Garchomp and Lando-T, as it can Taunt them and stop rocks from getting up.

Other Options
  • Remove Head Smash here - it really deserves to be on the main sets.
  • Taunt should be removed if Sash Rocks is put as a set
  • Hidden Power Fire is not worth a mention at all, as Scizor and Ferrothorn don't like taking Terrakion STABs. Hidden Power Ice is good though
  • Earthquake should go here
CnC
  • Bulky Psychic-types are also walls - such as Slowbro, Cresselia, and Celebi.
  • Remove Grass-types, as they can either go into other places (Celebi) or go into the new catagory...
  • Physical Walls should be listed with mons such as Chesnaught and Skarmory
  • Faster Pokemon such as Latios and Serperior are checks and should be listed. This includes faster scarfers like the aformentioned Latios and Landorus-Therian
I would prefer to see at least one of the two sets mentioned here before I give a QC, but everything outside of EQ is good

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)