Starter Pokemon in Little Cup

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice thread! ♥

This is something fun I thought of while playing around in the teambuilder:

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
Level: 5
EVs: 108 Atk / 236 Def / 156 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis

While this might look a bit confusing at first, all it needs is one turn to start snowballing into a complete physical juggernaut. Curse was used here instead of Bulk Up for a very important reason: Curse raises the power of Gyro Ball in TWO ways. Not only does it increase Chespin's Attack and Defense stats, but it also lowers Speed, thereby making Gyro Ball even stronger in addition to the separate Attack increase (Gyro Ball increases in power the less Speed you have than your target). With so many quick threats in the metagame, switching one into a +1 Gyro Ball is going to hurt, and switching into one after Curse has been used twice is just murder. Seed Bomb is the obligatory STAB attack, which deals high damage after Curse boosts, and deals even more if the foe happens to take you below 1/3 health on the turn before it's used. Synthesis is there to ease survivability, similarly to the way Quagsire did with Curse + Recover last generation in RU, and keeps Chespin alive so that it can continue to dish out chaos. Sassy nature and special defense investment are somewhat needed to help patch up its weaker side of the defensive spectrum. Stats for Attack and Defense are EVed so that the stat points are even numbers (14 Attack, 16 Defense) so that it gets the most out of boosts while still having decent special bulk. If Chespin is underestimated and it gets going, heads are going to roll, and not much will enjoy switching in. It should be noted that mons like Swirlix and Tyrunt who have ways of raising their Speed by themselves in battle... it also makes them weaker to Gyro Ball. Plus, if your opponent has Sticky Web in play, it only makes Gyro Ball stronger right off the bat!

+2 108 Atk Chespin Gyro Ball (133) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanma: 24-29 (104.3 - 126%)

+2 108 Atk Chespin Gyro Ball (91) vs. 20 HP / 68 Def Swirlix: 26-32 (113 - 139.1%)

+2 108 Atk Chespin Gyro Ball (91) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Tyrunt: 26-32 (113 - 139.1%)

+2 108 Atk Chespin Gyro Ball (125) vs. 116 HP / 0 Def Murkrow: 25-30 (104.1 - 125%)

And even though it's been banned, just for kicks... after only ONE boost:

+1 108 Atk Chespin Gyro Ball (112) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sneasel: 28-34 (127.2 - 154.5%)

For maximum LOLs, try switching in on Slowpoke's Thunder Wave. It will probably switch out afterward, giving you a free Curse. From then, you'll have a super-powerful Gyro Ball due to the 75% Speed drop from paralysis, AND you will also be immune to Sleep as well as Will-O-Wisp, which will really suck if you get hit by it (thankfully it's fairly easy to see coming).

Of course it's not flawless. Special attackers and Fire-types can obviously give it problems. It's just something fun I thought up after seeing this thread. ♥
The set is ironically walled by bulletproof Chespin.

I really like eviolite chespin in LC, he takes hits for days, and he has decent coverage. I also like froakie (protean is an amazing ability), Piplup is really nice as setup, i love treecko as much as i do Sceptile (although very situational in a match)

I have tried a curse torchic:

Curse chic:
Torchic Berry juice
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 HP 36+ special def 236 speed.
-Curse
-Protect
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
This guy is awesome. You use protect in the first turn agains some thing with fake out or substitute in some thing who will use stealth rock. Then proceeds to use curse, if possible substitute then baton pass. Shell smash users love the defense boosts torchic gives him so they can sweep with ease. He is very effective and if you baton pass to meditite gg xD
couldnt you just use bulk up instead and pass speed boosts too...?

This is a really cool thread, sorry for bumping. I have used Scarf Cyndaquil with Eruption in the past. There are aren't too many fire resists in LC (outside of Ponyta, Chinchou, Staryu, and Slowpoke) so it's really good especially with the lack of hazards. Nature Power becomes earthquake which hits Houndour, Ponyta, and Darumaka hard enough. Blaze Fire Blast also hits for more than a full powered Eruption. You can run Modest nature, but I like the speed points.

Cyndaquil @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 44 HP / 24 Atk / 200 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Nature Power

This is a really cool thread, sorry for bumping. I have used Scarf Cyndaquil with Eruption in the past. There are aren't too many fire resists in LC (outside of Ponyta, Chinchou, Staryu, and Slowpoke) so it's really good especially with the lack of hazards. Nature Power becomes earthquake which hits Houndour, Ponyta, and Darumaka hard enough. Blaze Fire Blast also hits for more than a full powered Eruption. You can run Modest nature, but I like the speed points.

Cyndaquil @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 44 HP / 24 Atk / 200 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Eruption
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Nature Power
I feel like hazards are actually more common than ever, especially stealth rock, which nails Cyndaquil for 25%, for birds. Cyndaquil is rather frail so often times you find yourself in a situation where you took hazards damage so eruption won't have much power but any damage after that tends to kill you because of its frailty when lacking an eviolite. Also, I think Nature Power used to default to earthquake, but this was changed and now becomes tri attack. Cyndaquil can't switch into any attacks and it doesn't force many switches. I just don't think Cyndaquil is very good currently.

I feel like hazards are actually more common than ever, especially stealth rock, which nails Cyndaquil for 25%, for birds. Cyndaquil is rather frail so often times you find yourself in a situation where you took hazards damage so eruption won't have much power but any damage after that tends to kill you because of its frailty when lacking an eviolite. Also, I think Nature Power used to default to earthquake, but this was changed and now becomes tri attack. Cyndaquil can't switch into any attacks and it doesn't force many switches. I just don't think Cyndaquil is very good currently.
Compared to OU Stealth Rock is very uncommon in LC. The pokemon that use it most often are Ferroseed, Hippopotas and Drillbur, 2 of 3, have both gone down in usage since Generation 4, and Cyndaquil easily comes in on Ferroseed. You're right about Nature Power though, I forgot it was now Tri Attack, but its still the best option for hitting those mons. I'm not arguing that Cyndaquil is the most viable pokemon, there are certainly better options, I have just found Cyndaquil to be a good special attacking fire pokemon if you need a scarfer. Not disagreeing with anything you said, it is frail, and stealth rock does 25%, but with defog its pretty easy to remove rocks anyways, and you're not going to bring cyndaquil on many attacks, it is more of a revenge killer.

Compared to OU Stealth Rock is very uncommon in LC.
I simply don't agree with this at all. First off, there are still common rock setters. Dwebble is the 6th most used in the 1760 statistics. Pawniard is used on near 50% of teams and many people opt to run rocks on it. If your team doesn't run stealth rocks, you have to have amazing offensive pressure to be able to deal with threats such as sturdysmashers. Compared to when I used to play OU, I think stealth rocks are even more common.

Compared to OU Stealth Rock is very uncommon in LC. The pokemon that use it most often are Ferroseed, Hippopotas and Drillbur, 2 of 3, have both gone down in usage since Generation 4, and Cyndaquil easily comes in on Ferroseed. You're right about Nature Power though, I forgot it was now Tri Attack, but its still the best option for hitting those mons. I'm not arguing that Cyndaquil is the most viable pokemon, there are certainly better options, I have just found Cyndaquil to be a good special attacking fire pokemon if you need a scarfer. Not disagreeing with anything you said, it is frail, and stealth rock does 25%, but with defog its pretty easy to remove rocks anyways, and you're not going to bring cyndaquil on many attacks, it is more of a revenge killer.
have you never played 6th gen? No one uses Hippo or Ferro, And Pokes like Pawniard, Tirt, Archen, Dwebble and so much more are prominent rock setters. Cyndaquil is weak as balls and struggles to win against very common threats.

have you never played 6th gen? No one uses Hippo or Ferro, And Pokes like Pawniard, Tirt, Archen, Dwebble and so much more are prominent rock setters. Cyndaquil is weak as balls and struggles to win against very common threats.
Yes I play 6th gen. Thats why I'm 4-0 in LCPL.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What?
Ferroseed and Hippopotas are really uncommon. They're not, at all, the common SR users. SR is also very present in LC: Pawniard, Drilbur, Archen, Dwebble... These are just a few of the common Pokémon that setup SR nowadays. It's also difficult to remove SR, since Pawniard and Misdreavus are so common.

Cyndaquil is plain outclassed by Vulpix.

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
have you never played 6th gen? No one uses Hippo or Ferro,
although i agree with the rest of your post, i must point out the fact that ferro is actually legit, most of my teams have one
imo user is more important than pokemon when it comes to mon's viability but w/e
for me, hippo is phazing spritzee with a bit worse typing - of course its not the best option for a physical wall, but i know some teams where it would fit nicely.
don't diss my nigga ferro :( one of the best hazard setters now, it actually works much better than some would expect(sub breaking, status, absurd bulk,seed+tect to force switches / beat dumb shit.) What other DEDICATED HAZARD SETTER can do so many things? point of this is to make people at least try this mon nowadays lol , just don't be too brave with it

LOVE ME

Compared to OU Stealth Rock is very uncommon in LC.
lolno
SR is actually really common, if just for dealing some damage to meta defining birds/breaking sturdysmashers. It's really damn hard to make a team without rocks/spikes and succeed + LCPL is not the only place where people play little cup..
priority spam and hazards everywhere make Cyndaquil look kinda bad :( Yes, i've tried it some time ago(after fighting Jac i think because he had one too) and it was really underwhelming, never pulling out the eruption clean. One kill per game or 141 doesnt sound good enough, and it wasn't me using it wrong, trust me

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
200+ SpA Cyndaquil Eruption (150 BP) vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 16-21 (72.7 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
200+ SpA Blaze Cyndaquil Fire Blast vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-22 (81.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
196+ SpA Vulpix Fire Blast vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo in Sun: 18-22 (81.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

If Nature Power was still EQ, I could see an argument for cyndaquil>vulpix but there just isn't one.
Vulpix also has energy ball which allows it to make room for HP rock/ground to hit fire-types, which Cyndaquil cannot do.

scarf vulpix>scarf cyndaquil in every way possible.

As for SR, it's a bit irrelevant to discussion but I always try and get a SR user in my team due to the prevalence of Sturdy, and in my opinion it's really important to have some hazard control. If people aren't using SR much, they should be and I'm sure the best teambuilders would try to include SR as much as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)